PDA

View Full Version : Chess variant - screened first move

Kevin Bonham
30-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Don't know if this chess variant has been discussed or invented before - suspect someone would have thought of it.

Here's the idea. A screen is placed across the middle of the board. Both players play one move (which can't be seen since the screen hides it.) The screen is lifted and then the players toss a coin to see who will be first to make move two. Then proceed as normal.

A few questions:

1. What is the best first move? (poll question)
2. Should that move be played all the time, or is the best strategy to mix up moves so it is difficult for an opponent to anticipate your first move (even ignoring the issue of preparation)?
3. Is the advantage of moving first greater or lesser than in normal chess with good play?

Hope others find this slight tweak interesting. I'm thinking of trying a novelty tournament with it some time.

Oepty
01-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Kevin. I think e4 becomes a weaker move because if the other side plays and then wins the coin toss dxe4 wins a pawn. I therefore say whites opening advantage is lessened. Whites best move would be d4 because it is protected by the queen and if black plays e5 or c5 and wins the coin toss they do not win a pawn.

ElevatorEscapee
01-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a "rip-off" of the vastly superior Bagirandom chess variant! ;) :lol:

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Kevin. I think e4 becomes a weaker move because if the other side plays and then wins the coin toss dxe4 wins a pawn. I therefore say whites opening advantage is lessened. Whites best move would be d4 because it is protected by the queen and if black plays e5 or c5 and wins the coin toss they do not win a pawn.

Yes, e4 not only loses a pawn to d5 if the toss is lost but also loses a pawn to Nf6 under the same circumstances.

c4 is interesting because if d5, a loss of the toss gives White the black side of a Benoni, which is OK, while the win of the toss gives White an English in which Black has made an inferior reply. However 1.c4 b5 and whoever wins the toss gets a pawn.

1.Nf3 looks like a good safe move.

It would actually be possible to assess the best strategy using game theory methods (and an assessment of the quality of each position) - alas it's a decade and a half since I studied that stuff, and I don't remember it.

Bereaved
05-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Sounds like a "rip-off" of the vastly superior Bagirandom chess variant! ;) :lol:

Hi EE,

I asked about a year ago ( approx ) when you first mentioned this variant, if you could show us a game or so. I would still like to see a game with this variation.

If you could assist, that would be great,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity