PDA

View Full Version : Who are the champions of chess?

Pharoah
30-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Where can I find the list from the first OFFICIAL world champion of chess to the current one? And when is the OFFICIAL chess tournament to decide the next one?

Jesse Jager
30-06-2006, 02:23 PM
i think the offical tournement is sometime next year whilest the world championship between kramnik and topalov is in september

Southpaw Jim
30-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Wikipedia is your friend! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_champion);)

Pharoah
01-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Wikipedia is your friend! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_champion);)

I checked there. None of those are the current WORLD champion, only FIDE and PCA. Or is FIDE or PCA what hosts the world tournament Alipahsa was talkin' about?

One more thing, will these events be televised?

Desmond
01-07-2006, 08:58 AM
One more thing, will these events be televised?
Unlikely to be televised, but you can watch the games on the net.

Southpaw Jim
01-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I checked there. None of those are the current WORLD champion, only FIDE and PCA. Or is FIDE or PCA what hosts the world tournament Alipahsa was talkin' about?

FIDE essentially ran the world championship system from 1948-1993. Then it fell apart. You should probably carefully re-read the sections entitled "Chaos (1993-)" and "Current Situation". The following is probably the most important re the situation:

Not long after Kasparov became champion, the Soviet Union collapsed, freeing Kasparov from the grip of the Soviet state. This set the stage for a more lasting set-back to FIDE's system when in 1993, Kasparov and challenger Nigel Short complained of corruption and a lack of professionalism within FIDE and split from FIDE to set up the Professional Chess Association (PCA), under whose auspices they held their match. The event was orchestrated largely by Raymond Keene, who has been at the centre of much off-the-board chess activity for a long time now. Keene brought the event to London (FIDE had planned it for Manchester), and England was whipped up into something of a chess fever: Channel Four broadcast some 81 programmes on the match, the BBC also had coverage, and Short appeared in television beer commercials. However, Kasparov crushed Short by five points, and interest in chess in the UK soon died down.

At the same time, FIDE held a championship match between Karpov (who had been champion before Kasparov) and Jan Timman (who had been defeated by Short in the Candidates final) in the Netherlands and Jakarta, Indonesia. Karpov emerged victorious. Ever since that time there have been two simultaneous World Champions and World Championships.

The problem is that no-one has a monopoly on the "world championship" (it's a bit like boxing). I could organise a tournament, call it the world championship, and no-one could stop me. The only problem is that no-one would probably recognise it (or turn up).

The fracas between FIDE and the PCA has sort of thrown the whole world championship thing into chaos.

The tournament that Alipasha is referring to is described under "Current Situation" - as I understand it, Kramnik and Topalov will battle for the (FIDE) title this Sep/Oct, and then it will be contested in a tournament in 2007 where the other contestants will vy for the title.

There are hopes that this will heal the rift somewhat, but it remains to be seen whether the chess world will accept what FIDE is attempting to do. Further, many in the chess world continue to have issues with FIDE itself and how it is governed.

bigredcar
01-07-2006, 07:27 PM
alot of games go on ESPN, in India they broadcast most games with indians. Read it in the August issue of "New in Chess"