PDA

View Full Version : I wanna play chess.

Pharoah
25-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I do. But I can't. My mom doesn't know how, dad goes to bed early for work in the morning, and I'm an only child.

What should I do?

Play against myself (how would I do that?), or just go through games until I find an oppenent in person (my dad and I play occasionaly).

I don't wanna play online, I don't concentrate easily on there.

Basil
25-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Join a chess club
Play at school
Try a bit harder to play online

Garvinator
25-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I do. But I can't. My mom doesn't know how, dad goes to bed early for work in the morning, and I'm an only child.

What should I do?

Play against myself (how would I do that?), or just go through games until I find an oppenent in person (my dad and I play occasionaly).

I don't wanna play online, I don't concentrate easily on there.
I guess the first real question is, where do you live? That will give us an idea of where to point you for clubs etc.

ElevatorEscapee
25-06-2006, 06:30 PM
There are plenty of chess playing computer programs.

If you are worried about concentration, you can set up the pieces on your own chess board, and play the moves there, only going back to the computer when you have decided on your move.

Another option may be correspondence chess through snail mail, there are many and varied opponents in the Australian Correspondence Chess League and I am sure you will be able to find people you can have competitive games against. :)

Rincewind
25-06-2006, 07:31 PM
If you are worried about concentration, you can set up the pieces on your own chess board, and play the moves there, only going back to the computer when you have decided on your move.

You can also do this if you play on FICS, as long as you don't move the pieces around to analyse.

Pharoah
26-06-2006, 02:32 AM
I live in centereal Illinois, USA. There arn't any chess clubs around here :D No chess club at school either. Correspondance chess just seems boring, and you move like once a week :D

Basil
26-06-2006, 02:53 AM
I live in centereal Illinois, USA.
I don't mean to be unkind, honestly ... but if yoou've looked this hard to find a web-site and come up with Australia; perhaps you could look a bit harder for a local chess club.

queenspawn
26-06-2006, 04:27 AM
How about trying this website to find more information?

http://www.ilchess.org/

It is based in Illinois, so someone on it is more likely to know about chess clubs in your area. And if there is no chess club at your school, how about telling a teacher that you really really want to play, and see what happens? When I was at school I really wanted to play chess, but wasn't allowed to go to the local chess club. There was no chess club at my school, so I mentioned it to a teacher. Turned out that my maths teacher was a local champion, and we played every Wednesday lunchtime for the rest of my time at school. So you don't know till you ask.

One thing I have found though, playing correspondance chess on a website is a good way to increase your concentration. Far from being boring, I find my most enjoyable games are online. But that is a matter of taste.

Anyway, hope the website linked above helps, and good luck.

Pharoah
26-06-2006, 05:02 AM
I don't mean to be unkind, honestly ... but if yoou've looked this hard to find a web-site and come up with Australia; perhaps you could look a bit harder for a local chess club.

Well, I looked this hard to find a chess forum website. This is the best I've found :D

Thanks all.

(I don't know how I spelled the title so bad. 'Play', not 'Place' :D)

Edit: Thanks to whoever correct that :)

bergil
26-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, I looked this hard to find a chess forum website. This is the best I've found :D

Thanks all.

(I don't know how I spelled the title so bad. 'Play', not 'Place' :D)

Edit: Thanks to whoever correct that :)
Have you tried Bugging your parents to adopt a kid? Failing that ask them for a hot nanny to play with! ;)

Garvinator
26-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Failing that ask them for a hot nanny to play with! ;)
I notice that you dont mention 'play chess with' :lol: