PDA

View Full Version : The gender of the Q-pawn

Desmond
20-06-2006, 08:31 PM
The pieces, with the exception of the Queen, are all accepted to be male. What about the Queen's Pawn?

qpawn
20-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, I guess that just as a few women dressed up as men to fight in the US civil war, I guess that a butch, she-man, Xena queen pawn is possible.

:D

Denis_Jessop
20-06-2006, 10:04 PM
The pieces, with the exception of the Queen, are all accepted to be male. What about the Queen's Pawn?

These days, you may have to qualify that assumption with respect to Bishops. Moreover all pawns are hermaphrodites as they are capable of becoming a rook, a knight, a bishop or a queen at the will of the player given the right circumstances.

DJ

Jesse Jager
20-06-2006, 10:12 PM
lol

Desmond
21-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Moreover all pawns are hermaphrodites as they are capable of becoming a rook, a knight, a bishop or a queen at the will of the player given the right circumstances.
Perhaps the term "promotion" would be better described as a sex-change operation. Although, I'm sure there are those who would contend that going from male to female is aptly described by the former.

Basil
21-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Perhaps the term "promotion" would be better described as a sex-change operation. Although, I'm sure there are those who would contend that going from male to female is aptly described by the former.
Crawler :)

queenspawn
21-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Unless you are playing a chinese, finnish or norwegian person. In which case their pronouns are gender neutral, and only the king can be definitely assumed male.

My knights are female by the way. And depending on the phase of the moon my rooks are too. Boudicca was not only a queen, but a horse rider and charioteer, so I have historical presedence.

:P

Rincewind
21-06-2006, 07:01 AM
In Italian there is no gender neutrality, you have to be one or the other. There chesspieces are (to be best of my knowledge) as follows

il re - king - male
la donna - queen - female
la torre - rook - female
l'alfiere - bishop - male
il cavallo - knight - male
il pedone - pawn - male

Interesting that the 3 most powerful pieces in the army are female. :hmm:

Another point of interest is that literally "alfiere" means "standard bearer" and has no direct relationship to the church.

antichrist
21-06-2006, 09:32 AM
coglioni - male
coglioni sacrificed - neuter

Desmond
21-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Interesting that the 3 most powerful pieces in the army are female. :hmm:

As I'm sure that you well know, the use of gender in the romantic languages does not imply the gender of the actual animal. For example, the word for "bird" (whatever it may be) may be assigned male, but that does not preclude birds from being female. ;)

Another point of interest is that literally "alfiere" means "standard bearer" and has no direct relationship to the church.
I am quite fond of the religious figure only being able to move on half the board, since that is a quite a good reflection of their lack of openmindness in real life. ;)

antichrist
21-06-2006, 10:26 AM
do you notice that even two bishops don't even make a queen.

Desmond
21-06-2006, 10:31 AM
do you notice that even two bishops don't even make a queen.

:lol: They do make a queen that cannot move STRAIGHT (up or down or sideways)

antichrist
21-06-2006, 10:49 AM
:lol: They do make a queen that cannot move STRAIGHT (up or down or sideways)

Like a queen without the missionary position - well would not need that position aye?

Rincewind
21-06-2006, 10:56 AM
As I'm sure that you well know, the use of gender in the romantic languages does not imply the gender of the actual animal. For example, the word for "bird" (whatever it may be) may be assigned male, but that does not preclude birds from being female. ;)

While this is true of romance languages in general and also of Italian in particular, there are cases (perticularly where you are describing a person) where the name changes to the gender of the person involved. For example 'un pedone' also means 'a pedestrian'. However, if you refer to a female pedestrian in particular you would use 'una pedona'. As the queens' pawns are still referred to in the masculine I think that should seal the debate, at least from an Italian perspective.

(BTW From memory bird is 'uccello' and masculine.)

Desmond
21-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Like a queen without the missionary position - well would not need that position aye?
I'm trying very hard not to think about that too much.

Desmond
21-06-2006, 11:03 AM
While this is true of romance languages in general and also of Italian in particular, there are cases (perticularly where you are describing a person) where the name changes to the gender of the person involved. For example 'un pedone' also means 'a pedestrian'. However, if you refer to a female pedestrian in particular you would use 'una pedona'. As the queens' pawns are still referred to in the masculine I think that should seal the debate, at least from an Italian perspective.

(BTW From memory bird is 'uccello' and masculine.)
In French, a group of people takes the male side when sex is yet to be determined. It takes the female side when they are all female. Yet, take a group with 99 women and 1 man, and the group is considered male. I don't know if this is the same in Italian, but if so it contradicts your argument.

Taigastyle
21-06-2006, 11:36 AM
They are all little Michael Jacksons , they get a sex change when they are older.

Rincewind
21-06-2006, 11:51 AM
In French, a group of people takes the male side when sex is yet to be determined. It takes the female side when they are all female. Yet, take a group with 99 women and 1 man, and the group is considered male. I don't know if this is the same in Italian, but if so it contradicts your argument.

Hardly since pawns when referred to singularly are still referred to as male.

Desmond
21-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Hardly since pawns when referred to singularly are still referred to as male.
This would be the case if the gender were unknown.

Rincewind
21-06-2006, 12:34 PM
This would be the case if the gender were unknown.

Yes, so: not definitely female, but not: definitely not female.

Desmond
21-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes, so: not definitely female, but not: definitely not female.
:lol: I can agree to that I think