PDA

View Full Version : Chess sayings and advice

Desmond
18-06-2006, 11:43 AM
What is the single best piece of advice or chess saying you have ever come across?

I shall take the following which I have seen attributed to both an Indian and Russian proverb:

Chess is a pool in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe.

ElevatorEscapee
18-06-2006, 12:52 PM
When you see a good move, don't play it immediately... sit on your hands, look around and try to find a better one! ~ Emannuel Lasker ;)

bergil
18-06-2006, 02:01 PM
What, you can't be serious! Touch that piece and I'll kill ya! ~ bergil :uhoh:

You again, why bother? ~ Anyone taking my entry :wall:

PHAT
18-06-2006, 03:31 PM
After your opponent moves, ask yourself, "Why did they do that?" Do not think about your move until you have answered that question. - Matthew Sweeney

Although someone must have written/said it before I though of it, I do not know who or when.

ElevatorEscapee
18-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Sounds a bit like the "through the eyes of a beginner" rule from "Think like a Grandmaster" by Kotov, basically, one of the Soviet Grandmasters who he spoke with prior to writing the book advised that after having a long think about the position, before making their move, a player should sit back and view the position through the eyes of a beginner, looking at what threats are involved with each move and so on....

antichrist
18-06-2006, 06:54 PM
starting this game was a mistake

or

why did I put that bet on

Kevin Bonham
18-06-2006, 08:24 PM
What is the single best piece of advice or chess saying you have ever come across?

A silly nomination for "Never castle before move 30."

No idea where I came across that - if anyone else has seen it quoted somewhere please let me know.

Phil Bourke
18-06-2006, 09:24 PM
My favourite is; "Chess is an easy game to learn, but impossible to master."
Can't recall if that is it exactly nor who said it, but it sums up the game pretty well.

Denis_Jessop
18-06-2006, 10:57 PM
My favourite is; "Chess is an easy game to learn, but impossible to master."
Can't recall if that is it exactly nor who said it, but it sums up the game pretty well.

My signature lines for some time have had a quote along these lines though it refers to golf.

A little book of chess quotations that I have attributes this to Tarrasch:

"Many have become chess masters - no one has become the master of chess."

He probably said it in German though.

DJ

ElevatorEscapee
19-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Dennis, that reminds me of one of Purdy's sayings:

'endgames are to chess, what putting is to golf'.

;)

Phil Bourke
19-06-2006, 01:46 AM
"Ah, I lose material, then I must attack, attack, attack."
Karl Matiszik, scourge of many theorists at Bathurst Chess Club :)
I think Karl still plays, but anyone who played him would remember the dogfight that it entailed to beat him.

Garvinator
19-06-2006, 01:53 AM
the player lost because he tried to win a clearly drawn position.

Phil Bourke
19-06-2006, 02:28 AM
the player lost because he tried to win a clearly drawn position.
I have to plead guilty to having committed that offence myself. :mad:

Basil
19-06-2006, 02:34 AM
I have to plead guilty to having committed that offence myself. :mad:
Guilty of that in my game with Boris.

I offer: Play actively

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2006, 12:46 PM
An English FM gave me some excellent advice on kibitzing in post-mortems and casual games:

If you see a move leading to a clear win of material (like, say a queen) don't say "White can win a queen", cause you might be wrong and look silly, so just say "that's an interesting position".

If you see a forced mate, say "that's a very interesting position".

Lucena
19-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Rook on the 7th rank-money in the bank

Knights on the rim are dim.

An isolated pawn spreads gloom all over the chessboard (hmm...not too sure about that one)

The mistakes are all there, waiting to be made (Tartakover?)

“It's always better to sacrifice your opponent's men”
- Tartakover

Rincewind
19-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Between the opening and the ending, the gods have placed the middlegame.

Desmond
19-06-2006, 07:56 PM
If you have the choice of moving either rook to a certain square, be very careful and make sure you are sure about your choice ... then move the other one!

firegoat7
19-06-2006, 10:25 PM
'I like to sacrifice my opponents pieces'
and
'The rest is technique'

cheers Fg7

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2006, 10:33 PM
"They can only take them one at a time" - Tal when a journalist asked him why he habitually played with half of his pieces en prise (not sure if it's an exact quote.)

"Stop, tell yourself 'I am losing', and start playing for a Swindle while there are still plenty of resources left in your position." - Simon Webb.

Axiom
20-06-2006, 01:00 AM
"it is quite possible to view chess,as a highly sophisticated party trick"..R.Schmaltz

Bill Gletsos
20-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Patzer sees check, patzer gives check.

Chess is as much a mystery as women.

No one ever won a game by resigning.

Some sacrifices are sound, the rest are mine - Mikhail Tal

All Chess players should have a hobby.

A man that will take back a move at Chess will pick a pocket.

A good player is always lucky.

Axiom
20-06-2006, 01:27 AM
My Kingdom for a Horse !

Axiom
20-06-2006, 01:28 AM
"is that a bishop in your pocket" .. mae west

Basil
20-06-2006, 01:29 AM
I believe it is a valuable exercise to adjust one's browser so that both Bill's and Ax's posts can be viewed together.

The conclusions you can draw for yourselves.

Having said that I do find both merit and humour in Ax's post.

antichrist
20-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Always give your king some air (move a king's side pawn to prevent a back rank mate) - from Germany

and from my Ukrainian friends: if a piece is forced back to their own side "back to mummy".

An A/C original when doing a combo: this goes with that at Suzanne
and my oldie "you can't always get what you want.

Another A/Cian: Just because you fool yourself does not mean that you fool your opponent.

ElevatorEscapee
20-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Patzer sees mate, patzer gives mate! ;)

Someone once said the "Patzer sees check, patzer gives check" line to me in a lightning game after I had given check to him... then he realized that my "check" actually checkmated him!

So I responded with "Patzer sees mate, patzer gives mate!" :D

Dozy
21-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Patzer sees mate, patzer gives mate! ;)

Someone once said the "Patzer sees check, patzer gives check" line to me in a lightning game after I had given check to him... then he realized that my "check" actually checkmated him!

So I responded with "Patzer sees mate, patzer gives mate!" :D:clap: :clap: I'm gunna file that away with things I wish I'd said!

Sometimes I'm a bit slow. Once on the train I told the guard that all the carriages had been labelled "Smoking" and asked for a Non-Smoking tag. He changed the tags and advised the few passengers (it was a late night train). A young couple at the front walked back to the next carriage and as they passed the girl called me something I wouldn't even repeat in the coffee lounge. I was literally speechless but, quick as a flash, another guy came up with, "Boy, smoking really fouls the mouth, doesn't it!" I wish I'd said that, too.

But in the game you mentioned, your opponent was obviously one of my disciples and was demonstrating just one application of Dozy's Law:

"Never think while you're playing -- it interferes with the flow of the game."

Kevin Bonham
21-06-2006, 12:13 PM
If you want a draw, don't play for a draw, get a better position.

Thanks to FM Bill for this one - good advice for Australia v Croatia tomorrow night too I suspect.

four four two
21-06-2006, 12:24 PM
If you want a draw, don't play for a draw, get a better position.

Thanks to FM Bill for this one - good advice for Australia v Croatia tomorrow night too I suspect.

Hmm...this soccer business seems to be growing on you Kevin.:D

I was always been partial to the story Spassky used to tell about his ex wife and why they got divorced...."We were bishops of opposite colours".;)

Denis_Jessop
21-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Please note: all unattributed witticisms in this thread are to be taken as having been said by Tartakover. Here is another. "Sacrifices only prove that someone has blundered" And another "In chess there is only one mistake:overestimation of your opponent. All else is either bad luck or weakness." And one more "Nobody has ever won a game by resigning." The third is a particular favourite of some club players who continue past midnight.

The reason why Tartakover was never world champion was because he spent so much of his time inventing witty sayings and playing unfashionable openings. He used to play the Polish/Orang Utang/Sokolsky Opening and says the name Orang Utang was given by him at the NY 1924 Tourney "not only because I played it there...after a previous consultation with a young orang utang (during a visit by all the masters to the New York Zoo...) but also since the climbing movement b2 - b4 - b5 is reminiscent of that inventive animal."

DJ

Desmond
21-06-2006, 11:40 PM
A forced move is a good move

fianchetto
22-06-2006, 12:46 AM
"If I play white, I'll win because I'm white; If I play black, I'll win because I'm Bogoljubov." - my favourite (seen this on Rootyhill Site).

Kevin Bonham
22-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Purdy's "examine all checks and captures" never goes out of vogue. Though one should perhaps add "and quiet fiddly moves that don't appear to do anything". :P

Desmond
22-06-2006, 08:23 AM
"If I play white, I'll win because I'm white; If I play black, I'll win because I'm Bogoljubov." - my favourite (seen this on Rootyhill Site).
That's one of my favourites too, and also simply his name which I believe is pronounced something like blahblahblahblov ;)

Lucena
22-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Purdy's "examine all checks and captures" never goes out of vogue. Though one should perhaps add "and quiet fiddly moves that don't appear to do anything". :P

I remember being told to look for all checks, captures and moves that attack something. I read somewhere (maybe "Black is OK by Adorjan?) you have to examine all checks, captures and knight moves, but that doesn't sound very scientific.

antichrist
22-06-2006, 10:40 AM
I remember being told to look for all checks, captures and moves that attack something. I read somewhere (maybe "Black is OK by Adorjan?) you have to examine all checks, captures and knight moves, but that doesn't sound very scientific.

examine knights moves I agree with that, esp much further down the line.

IN MY DAY I was top with knights

MichaelBaron
22-06-2006, 11:33 AM
My favorite saying (that I keep repeating to 1100-1500 rated players who explain their losses by "King's Indian being a stupid opening" or "Petroff Defence being too passive") is :

"THERE ARE NO GOOD AND BAD OPENINGS BUT THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD PLAYERS"

Watto
22-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Castle early and as often as possible.

Beware of bony chickens.

Calculate, calculate, calculate.

Can’t I just take that pawn?

Why am I doing this? :hmm:

It’s very cold in here. :(

That lamb was good. :)

Okay, where was I? Can’t I just take that pawn? :hmm:

Okay, focus... calculate, calculate, calculate…

four four two
22-06-2006, 02:19 PM
My favorite saying (that I keep repeating to 1100-1500 rated players who explain their losses by "King's Indian being a stupid opening" or "Petroff Defence being too passive") is :

"THERE ARE NO GOOD AND BAD OPENINGS BUT THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD PLAYERS"

While I agree with the sentiment Michael,maybe you need to clarify it a bit better. Would you play the Grob against a 2200+ player?:hmm:

And if not, would you think a 1600-1900 player would be foolish to play the Grob against a 2200+ player?:hmm:

PHAT
22-06-2006, 03:37 PM
While I agree with the sentiment Michael,maybe you need to clarify it a bit better. Would you play the Grob against a 2200+ player?:hmm:

And if not, would you think a 1600-1900 player would be foolish to play the Grob against a 2200+ player?:hmm:

If you know the Grob better/deeper than the 2200+ player, yes play the grob. You will come out with a slight advantage becuse their first non-book move will very likely be inferior to your next few moves.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-06-2006, 03:54 PM
If you know the Grob better/deeper than the 2200+ player, yes play the grob. You will come out with a slight advantage becuse their first non-book move will very likely be inferior to your next few moves.

If you play against 2200+ who has just a little idea about Grob, you maybe able to equalise if he doesn't find/know the best move. If you are lucky.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-06-2006, 04:00 PM

Cannot answer for Michael, but can say for myself. The answer is resounding NO for both.

Once an 1800 player played Grob against me (when I had no clue about the opening). Finished in about twenty moves (I usually take much longer against even weaker players).

Some time later I played quite a few friendly blitz game against 2300+ player and tried Grob few times (for fun). Won first game, lost every other.

As long as black does not fall in the only trap possible, white has to work very hard to equalize.

As much as Chris Depasquale likes to play g4/h4 in the opening, I've never seen him playing Grob either.

BTW, "Grob" in Russian means coffin. Is it just a coincidence ?

Having said that about Grob, I should add that good player who does not know opening theory would not play Grob anyway. Therefore, I tend to agree with MB sentiment.

PHAT
22-06-2006, 06:17 PM
If you play against 2200+ who has just a little idea about Grob, you maybe able to equalise if he doesn't find/know the best move. If you are lucky.

OK, I obviously must take your word for it. :)

However, I am pretty sure I am ringht if the two players were average palyers.

Southpaw Jim
22-06-2006, 07:28 PM
IN MY DAY I was top with knights

LOL that made me think of "the older we get the better we were" :lol:

Desmond
22-06-2006, 07:51 PM

GM Basman didn't think it so bad. Again, it comes back to the point of who knows it better.

Lucena
26-06-2006, 01:07 AM
GM Basman didn't think it so bad.

I hate to say it, but I read that one of the reasons Basman isn't a GM is that he insisted on playing his crappy openings.

Pharoah
26-06-2006, 05:03 AM
01. Develop your pieces quickly.
02. Control the center.
03. Try to put your pieces on squares that give them maximum space.
04. Try to develop your knights towards the center.
05. A knight on the rim is dim.
06. Don't take unnecessary chances.
07. Play aggressive.
08. Calculate forced moves first.
09. Always ask yourself, "Can he put me in check or win a piece?"
10. Have a plan. Every move should have a purpose.
11. Assume your opponent's move is his best move.
12. Ask yourself, "why did he move there?" after each opponent move.
13. Play for the initiative and contolling the board.
14. If you must lose a piece, get something for it if you can.
15. When behind, exchange pawns. When ahead, exchange pieces.
16. If you are losing, don't give up fighting. Look for counterplay.
17. Don't play unsound moves unless you are losing badly.
18. Don't sacrifice a piece without good reason.
19. If you are in doubt of an opponent's sacrifice, accept it.
20. Attack with more that just one or two pieces.
21. Do not make careless pawn moves. They cannot move back.
22. Do not block in your bishops.
23. Bishops of opposite colors have the greatest chance of drawing.
24. Try not to move the same piece twice or more times in a row.
25. Exchange pieces if it helps your development.
26. Don't bring your queen out early.
27. Castle soon to protect your king and develop your rook.
28. Develop rooks to open files.
29. Put rooks behind passed pawns.
30. Study rook endgames. They are the most common and most complicated.
31. Don't let your king get caught in the center.
32. Don't castle if it brings your king into greater danger from attack.
33. After castling, keep a good pawn formation around your king.
34. If you only have one bishop, put your pawns on its opposite color.
35. Trade pawns pieces when ahead in material or when under attack.
36. If cramped, free your game by exchanging material.
37. If your opponent is cramped, don't let him get any freeing exchanges.
38. Study openings you are comfortable with.
39. Play over entire games, not just the opening.
40. Blitz chess is helpful in recognizing chess patterns. Play often.
41. Study annotated games and try to guess each move.
42. Stick with just a few openings with White, and a few openings with Black.
43. Record your games and go over them, especially the games you lost.
44. Show your games to higher rated opponents and get feedback from them.
45. Use chess computers and databases to help you study and play more.
46. Everyone blunders. The champions just blunder less often.
47. When it is not your move, look for tactics and combinations.
48. Try to double rooks or double rook and queen on open files.
49. Always ask yourself, "Does my next move overlook something simple?"
50. Don't make your own plans without the exclusion of the opponent's threats.
51. Watch out for captures by retreat of an opponent's piece.
52. Do not focus on one sector of the board. View thw whole board.
53. Write down your move first before making that move if it helps.
54. Try to solve chess puzzles with diagrams from books and magazines.
55. It is less likely that an opponent is prepared for off-beat openings.
56. Recognize transposition of moves from main-line play.
57. Watch your time and avoid time trouble.
58. Bishops are worth more than knights except when they are pinned in.
59. A knight works better with a bishop than another knight.
60. It is usually a good idea to trade down into a pawn up endgame.
61. Have confidence in your game.
62. Play in as many rated events as you can.
63. Try not to look at your opponent's rating until after the game.
64. Always play for a win.

http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/lab/7378/principl.htm

:)

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2006, 05:47 PM
53. Write down your move first before making that move if it helps.

This is no longer allowed in tournaments.

Rincewind
26-06-2006, 05:49 PM
This is no longer allowed in tournaments.

This is true but it is enforced to various degrees. Perhaps

53. Write down your move first before making that move if it helps and you don't get caught.

I was a student of Kotov's books but have given up this particular habit.

Desmond
26-06-2006, 07:34 PM
6. and 64. contradict each other.

Pharoah
27-06-2006, 03:21 AM
6. and 64. contradict each other.

To an extent.

Rincewind
27-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Chess is an art, chess is a study, chess is one of the noblest inventions of the human mind - Joad, famous psychologist

(From Chess Made Easy, 17th Ed., 1967)

Carl Gorka
27-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Take the pawn!!!

Advice given to me by a first category player when I was a junior. The old 'grab and hold on' policy:D

Rincewind
27-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Take the pawn!!!

Advice given to me by a first category player when I was a junior. The old 'grab and hold on' policy:D

Theo Rippis told me once this was his philosophy: Win a pawn in the opening and make your opponent demonstrate his compensation.

Carl Gorka
27-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Theo Rippis told me once this was his philosophy: Win a pawn in the opening and make your opponent demonstrate his compensation.

It's what I did against Guy West last night.....he demonstrated it to me:(

Rincewind
27-06-2006, 10:43 AM
It's what I did against Guy West last night.....he demonstrated it to me:(

As he did to me in the Vic Open and I hadn't even won a pawn :). If we were in a pub, I'd buy you a beer.

So we don't get too far off topic the following is for the benefit of Dr Smirnov...

Chess is both profoundly trivial and trivially profound: a universe simultaneously closed and unbounded - George Steiner

antichrist
27-06-2006, 10:45 AM
An elbow an incomplete scoresheet!

antichrist
27-06-2006, 10:47 AM
LOL that made me think of "the older we get the better we were" :lol:

Reminishing, my two defeats of champs were with knight mates at beginning of middle game. They are the ballerinas. Another saying:

Knights are the ballerinas of chess.

piecelover
27-06-2006, 10:52 AM
This is a good one (by Mikhail Tal): To play for a draw with white pieces is crime against chess!

Rincewind
27-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Whenever I read a AC post it reminds me of this one...

Chess is a validation of stupidity - Totalle Le Vezfleaux

EZBeet
03-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Ian Rogers on the Andrew Denton show, referring to the Bc4 Qf3 setup (eyeing f7), after a live 1 minute game with Cathy.

"...this is the Monkey's Bum Attack. First used by a polish grandmaster in 1822. He said - ' If this works I'll be a monkey's bum'

Desmond
03-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Ian Rogers on the Andrew Denton show, referring to the Bc4 Qf3 setup (eyeing f7), after a live 1 minute game with Cathy.

"...this is the Monkey's Bum Attack. First used by a polish grandmaster in 1822. He said - ' If this works I'll be a monkey's bum'
Ian Rogers was on the Denton show? Anyone know where I can get a copy?

EZBeet
03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
This was around 15 years ago I think, you would have to ask Ian, he is sure to have a copy.

Ian was introduced as "Australia's only Grandmaster" and walked onto the set wearing a long black magician's cape.

Actually I really don't recall the exact wording, the date and the nationality of the grandmaster has been changed to protect the innocent.

Bereaved
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Ian Rogers was on the Denton show? Anyone know where I can get a copy?

Hi, Boris,

I actually have some of this on tape, not the whole thing, but some of the funnier parts, I wasn't editing it, just may have missed the start. If I can figure out a way to put it on to my computer, I'll try and email it to you,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PS there is a very funny simul sequence, where Denton gives various opponent's of Ian's extra pieces mid way through the game to even things up!!

Dozy
04-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Tie two birds together, Grasshopper, and even though they have four wings they cannot fly. -- Master Po

EZBeet
04-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Nigel short - "When you're opponent offers a draw, try to see why he thinks he is worse".

ElevatorEscapee
04-07-2006, 06:41 PM
"Chess is a cold bath for the mind", Andrew Bonar Law. :)

Desmond
21-07-2006, 03:20 PM
I heard this in a song (Niles Barkley) this morning, but seems quite relevant to chess:

"Knowing your own weakness is your greatest strength."

ElevatorEscapee
21-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I heard this in a song (Niles Barkley) this morning, but seems quite relevant to chess:

"Knowing your own weakness is your greatest strength."

I wonder if Niles is related to Gnarles... :hmm:

Desmond
21-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I wonder if Niles is related to Gnarles... :hmm:
:lol: I only heard his name on the radio. Still good advice though.

ER
22-07-2006, 10:03 AM
“I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves”
(Bobby Fischer)

bergil
22-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Better to say nothing than to sound like a [Tool]! :lol: Now heard in chess clubs I've been to lately.

chessbug
23-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I know I am being a real nerd :eek: but I do not believe in all these one-sentence advices.

But if you really like this kind of material, there is a book by GM Alburt filled with these sentences.

This book got a really bad review on my site:
http://www.chessbug.com/Book_Reviews_ChessRulesOfThumb.htm

But I do know you may like it...

MichaelBaron
23-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Bogolubow used to say "If im playing White I win because 1.d4 is a forced win, If i am playing Black, I win because I am Bogolubow"

Purple
25-07-2006, 02:00 PM

'Chess is a pool in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe.'

"One bad move nullifies 40 good ones."

Purple
25-07-2006, 02:02 PM
I have one piece of chess advice that is so good that I dare not even repeat it so I can keep the advantage.

Rhubarb
25-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Bogolubow used to say "If im playing White I win because 1.d4 is a forced win, If i am playing Black, I win because I am Bogolubow"He who does not study history is doomed...

Oh wait, that's probably not a chess quote.

ElevatorEscapee
25-07-2006, 08:40 PM
He who does not study history is doomed...

Oh wait, that's probably not a chess quote.

He who is forced to study History is bored...

Oh wait, that's probably not a chess quote either! ;)

Rhubarb
25-07-2006, 09:02 PM
He who is forced to study History is bored...

Oh wait, that's probably not a chess quote either! ;)Resident smartarse doesn't mind being trumped by smarter smartarse (I said that)

And lest I be accused of not contributing to chess sayings and advice, here's one from RW:

Computer says no

Basil
25-07-2006, 09:23 PM
My brother, who has only a passing knowledge of the game, regularly asks me why "The Foul Stench Of Mate" is not introduced into the vernacular to spice things up!

He was also partial to blowing cigarette smoke over the final mated position to indicate a battlefield in the early morning with mist rolling in.

I hope this explains a little bit more about my family and confirms what many of you have long expected.

Mischa
25-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I am sad that you are sad...:(

Basil
25-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I am sad that you are sad...:(

Sad? Who's sad? I am one of the most "up" people you could hope to meet.

Mischa
25-07-2006, 10:54 PM
may not have been meant for you..............

Axiom
25-07-2006, 10:57 PM
may not have been meant for you..............who may it be meant for??

Mischa
25-07-2006, 11:02 PM
many people here

Axiom
25-07-2006, 11:03 PM
many people here
thats very ethereal of you :)

Mischa
25-07-2006, 11:04 PM

Alan Shore
26-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Since this thread's become quotes as well as advice, might point this thread out:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2822

They could probably be merged.

Dozy
27-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Ever had one of those annoying games where you've been so far ahead in material that it'd take an act of God for you to lose, but still your opponent won't resign? One guy on chessgames.com came up with this solution:

I saw a game once where a player had a two or three piece advantage, but the opponent wouldn't resign. So he promoted pawns into rooks, bishops, knights, etc. and placed them back on their original squares.It's a thought...

MichaelBaron
27-07-2006, 02:35 AM
Even simpler solutions is ...not to play anyone under 1600 or so. Strong players (with an exeption of Solomon) will not play 3 pieces down unless there are still some tricks left :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Ever had one of those annoying games where you've been so far ahead in material that it'd take an act of God for you to lose, but still your opponent won't resign? One guy on chessgames.com came up with this solution:

It's a thought...

I tend to grab a knight a few moves before promoting a pawn, with a suitably theatrical flourish. This takes advantage of an old ACF code of ethics that banned "ostentatiously procuring a new Queen" but said nothing against doing the same with minor pieces. :eek:

I like to set up silly checkmates. Force the opponent to give pieces away, leave them stalemated except for one move that forces me to mate them, etc. Minor piece collections are fun as well. Well worth practicing that three knight mate; who knows, you just might need it some day!

Basil
27-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Love it! The mental images are tremendous.

I tend to grab a knight a few moves before promoting a pawn, with a suitably theatrical flourish. This takes advantage of an old ACF code of ethics that banned "ostentatiously procuring a new Queen" but said nothing against doing the same with minor pieces. :eek:
Paying 30 HCD's right there folks.

I like to set up silly checkmates. Force the opponent to give pieces away, leave them stalemated except for one move that forces me to mate them, etc. [/QUOTE]
Paying 30 HCD's right there folks.

For a grand total of 60 HCDs

I don't think Mother rates HCDs - which is not my concern. I'm just here to make the payments.

Rincewind
27-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Chess is life

Life's a bitch, then you die.

Mischa
27-07-2006, 10:38 PM
don't be late

Mischa
27-07-2006, 10:38 PM
make sure your email is working

MichaelBaron
28-07-2006, 12:19 AM
"Chess is my life, but my life is not chess only" (Karpov)

bobby1972
28-07-2006, 05:03 PM
hey michael all the pony tails in arabia will not sweeten that little bald spot

Desmond
07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
a pawn is a pawn is a pawn is a pawn is a pawn is a pawn...

Basil
07-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Why must I lose to this idiot?
Nimzo

antichrist
08-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Kramnik: Time is precious when you don't have enough - is that relevant to his latest loss?

Zwischenzug
08-10-2006, 06:52 PM
You are a great chess player, but I play great chess!

Don't know who said that, but its my favourite chess saying.

Denis_Jessop
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Why must I lose to this idiot?
Nimzo

Legend has it that this was said after he had mounted his chair to deliver it loudly. But it was a blitz tournament :)

On the advice side of this thread, Nimzo is also reputed to have been advised by his doctor to take more exercise so he did this by getting up from his game between moves and going through a routine of physical jerks. :rolleyes:

DJ

Desmond
11-10-2006, 10:51 AM
From http://www.chessbase.com/newsprint.asp?newsid=2833

God: "And now, I believe I have the material advantage and the compensation.”

antichrist
11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
From http://www.chessbase.com/newsprint.asp?newsid=2833

God: "And now, I believe I have the material advantage and the compensation.”

Was the material advantage when he become man and the compensation when he made his clock stand still to be ahead on time?

This response is weak and pathetic because I can't joke off topic and it be left in the chess thread - so serve you all right.

mikexx2020
17-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Dont look only for the forcing moves. Instead look for passive moves that help you in the long term rather than making his bishop change square while weakening your own pawn structure!

http://www.chesschitchat.com

Denis_Jessop
17-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Deux fous gagnent toujours, mais trois fous, non! :cool:

DJ

eclectic
17-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Deux fous gagnent toujours, mais trois fous, non! :cool:

DJ

Be careful Denis, you might be accidentally mistaken for a recent hydra and promptly banned!

:eek:

ElevatorEscapee
17-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Be careful Denis, you might be accidentally mistaken for a recent hydra and promptly banned!

:eek:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Desmond
17-12-2006, 09:22 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound.

antichrist
17-12-2006, 09:30 PM
in case I have not come out with it before: just because you may fool yourself means that you also fool your opposition

Garvinator
18-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Just because you are sure, doesnt mean you're right.

Desmond
18-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Just because you are sure, doesnt mean you're right.
ahem, credit where due please

1min_grandmaster
18-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Here are what I found to be the most interesting chess quotes of 2006:

"It's not chess. It just looks like chess." (Shaun Press describing lightning chess)

"Some players play to win and some play not to lose" (Susan Polgar)

"A champion cannot be afraid to play out positions. A champion cannot be afraid of fighting." (Susan Polgar)

"In the course of my duties inspecting all the boards, checking whether the arbiters saved the games, and checking the clocks, I had to walk about 1km. Each inspection took about 20 minutes, so no one will be surprised when I say that I lost many kilos in Turin." (IA Geurt Gijssen at the 2006 Turin Olympiad)

"I can't keep my hands off the chessboard." (Arriane Caoli)

"Fair? This is a world championship match." (Vladimir Kramnik, when asked if his 1st game win result was fair, after Topalov had been winning)

"The priorities in our discussions are the following: first - the score, second - the toilets and then all the other things." (Kirsan Ilyumzhinov)

"One thing I can say: the place of the sportsman is in the field or on the stage in front of the audience, and not in rest rooms or toilets." (Veselin Topalov)

"At night, I dream about Kramnik" (Veselin Topalov)

"The Turk. I’d challenge it to a 5-minute Blitz match and then have someone set a fire-alarm off in the middle of the game." (Michael Bartlett, in response to the question "If you could spend one hour with any player in history, who would it be?")

"It was actually not only about the last move. I was calculating this line very long in advance, and then recalculating. It was very strange, some kind of blackout. I was feeling well, I was playing well, I think I was pretty much better. I calculated the line many, many times, rechecking myself. I already calculated this line when I played 29...Qa7, and after each move I was recalculating, again, and again, and finally I blundered mate in one. Actually it was the first time that it happened to me, and I cannot really find any explanation. I was not feeling tired, I think I was calculating well during the whole game... It's just very strange, I cannot explain it." (Vladimir Kramnik on his blunder that allowed Fritz10 to deliver mate in 1 move)

Desmond
25-01-2007, 10:05 PM
"The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong."

antichrist
25-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Don't be a chess volunteer because you only get pooped upon.

Mischa
25-01-2007, 10:36 PM
And if you are a chess volunteer..( as I am) ...don't think what you are doing is not open to improvement

Basil
25-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't be a chess volunteer because you only get pooped upon.
Don't be a chess volunteer and new to a BB because no-one will help you wipe the poop off ;)

antichrist
25-01-2007, 10:41 PM
And if you are a chess volunteer..( as I am) ...don't think what you are doing is not open to improvement

The only criticism that I can remember is that I was too successful and the Doeberl organisers wanted me strung up for taking their numbers inspite of having only $200 SEC first prize. Due to feint-heartedness of fellow organisers I lost heart in organising after that. As everyone else here will witness it was argued about for years afterwards.

And I remember that everyone was always very appreciative and I never copped any of the stupid crap that has been dished out to Starter and Libby.

But I think you are being off-topic in discussing that here

Desmond
25-01-2007, 10:44 PM
<sigh> surely there are enough threads ragging volunteers without wrecking this one too

Mischa
25-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I think I would like to hear how I could improve my services.
Albeit they are minimal, but well intentioned. We ask for advice so we may better serve.
We don't see it as an attack but rather as a welcome feedback from people who want to see us all do better.
It is after all, not about me....:)

antichrist
25-01-2007, 10:50 PM
The previous two posts were complaining about being off-topic - get the hint

Rincewind
25-01-2007, 10:52 PM
The previous two posts were complaining about being off-topic - get the hint

Coming from you Peter, that is the funniest thing I've read tonight.

Desmond
17-05-2007, 05:53 PM
On choosing the best squares for your pieces (with apologies to IM Ari Ziegler):

"Grandmasters throw the pieces up in the air and they always land on the best squares. The rest of us are not so lucky."

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2007, 08:48 PM
This one is mine (although I have seen similar in books):

Unless critically and permanently short of time, never allow, enter, or make a move in, any non-trivial pure pawn ending without taking the time to calculate its outcome.

Garvinator
18-05-2007, 03:26 AM
From the Qld Interclub thread:

As a general rule, when both sides are castled on the same side, and there is a race between an attack on the K v attack on the other side, a Q-swap favours the latter.

Capablanca-Fan
19-05-2007, 03:15 PM
If you can't think of anything to do, or are in time pressure, don't just make a pawn move, because they are the one type of move that can't be retracted.

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2007, 03:29 PM
If you can't think of anything to do, or are in time pressure, don't just make a pawn move, because they are the one type of move that can't be retracted.

Try telling Topalov that! :lol:

Dozy
23-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Chess quote of the week comes from Dr. Z's match report on the Kellner Memorial. It's at http://www.nswca.org.au/2007KellnerReport.htm

In Round 4 Gary Losh whupped Joshua Christensen and Charles's comment was "Oh my Gosh, Losh beat Josh!

That's classic Zworestine...

Desmond
05-11-2007, 08:56 PM
It's the horsey-shape piece that moves in an L shape. It's what makes chess complicated, and why stupid people can't play chess. Go play checkers! Knights are the first piece you look at. They elevate the game. No chess master wants to lose her knights...

Rincewind
05-11-2007, 09:29 PM

Nerf Herder have a funny song about her. I considered posting the lyrics in the CL but then decided even against that.

WhiteElephant
05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Nerf Herder have a funny song about her. I considered posting the lyrics in the CL but then decided even against that.

I would like to read them. Maybe put in the Coffee Lounge with a disclaimer? :)

Rincewind
05-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I would like to read them. Maybe put in the Coffee Lounge with a disclaimer? :)

See you asked nicely and seem unable to use google, I have granted your wish. :P

Rincewind
07-11-2007, 08:27 AM
New chess saying?...

In Chess, as in life, it is much easier to find a mate when one has a preponderance of material.

Brian_Jones
07-11-2007, 10:45 AM
See you asked nicely and seem unable to use google, I have granted your wish. :P

I am familiar with the song about Courtney Love but cannot see that you have posted it anywhere in chess chat. Where is the coffee lounge?

Rincewind
07-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I am familiar with the song about Courtney Love but cannot see that you have posted it anywhere in chess chat. Where is the coffee lounge?

You should have access. Perhaps there was a problem with the update permissions robot. I've manually set you access. Let me know if you you don't now have access.

Brian_Jones
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
You should have access. Perhaps there was a problem with the update permissions robot. I've manually set you access. Let me know if you you don't now have access.

Eureka! Thanks Barry!

Basil
07-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Eureka! Thanks Barry!
OMG! :eek: FMD :eek: And other things ...

Brian <speechless> <clears throat> have you never wondered about the CL references on this site before?

Spiny Norman
07-11-2007, 03:42 PM
He's not really been missing anything ... :whistle:

Brian_Jones
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Kept going into the 1337 Lounge but couldn't find the coffee! :)

Rincewind
18-11-2007, 10:41 AM
On Reubin Fine retiring from chess to concentrate on his profession of psychology...

a loss for chess, and at best a draw for psychology

Kevin Bonham
18-11-2007, 06:15 PM
a loss for chess, and at best a draw for psychology

It was specifically psychoanalysis, not psychology, in the quote.

Though I'm not sure precisely what counts as a win for the "psychoanalysis" extant at that time given that it was basically unsubstantiated theoretical tosh.

Denis_Jessop
18-11-2007, 07:52 PM
It was specifically psychoanalysis, not psychology, in the quote.

Though I'm not sure precisely what counts as a win for the "psychoanalysis" extant at that time given that it was basically unsubstantiated theoretical tosh.

I'd tend to agree, backed up by Reuben Fine's own effort in "The Psychology of the Chess Player" (apparently originally entitled "Psychoanalytic Observations on Chess and Chess Masters") though it's many years since I read it. But has psychoanalysis progressed much since as distinct from psychiatry's use of improved medications and things like relaxation techniques?

The quote referred to (in the Bonham corrected version) is given at p194 of Fox and James (TEMCCA) though not attributed to anyone in particular.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
18-11-2007, 07:58 PM
The quote referred to (in the Bonham corrected version) is given at p194 of Fox and James (TEMCCA) though not attributed to anyone in particular.

Edward Winter says that the authorship of the quote remains unknown.

If he doesn't know, it's quite unlikely anyone does.

1min_grandmaster
31-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Here are my favourite chess quotes of 2007. A few quotes are from previous years but I only discovered them this year. Happy new year to all!

"Once you're alright in life, you don't really care about losing in chess."
(Levon Aronian)

"If you're not in Doeberl, you're not a real chess player"
(Toby Lewski)

"Now you can go and buy some cookies with that half a point"
(Nils Nijs, a Belgian U14 player, to his Canadian opponent, Mai Lloyd, at the World Youth Chess Championships, who was woken up at 11pm by the appeals committee to resume a game after it was found that the draw claim was invalid)

"Finally, I hope the tourney directors next year will have better arrangements for referee’s and appeal committee’s. I really do wonder why three of the most corrupt and questionable men [Zurab Azmaiparashvili, Florencio Campomanes and Georgios Makropoulos] (with no link to youth chess I think) need to form the appeal’s committe on a WYCC. Azmaiparashvili for example has a very bad reputation: buying votes for Ilyumzhinov and I also remember him ending up in a fist fight with someone he disagreed with (the infamous picture of the blue eye, I dont recall what occasion but I think a FIDE congress). What is such a man doing at a tourney with (little) children??"
(Martin Glimmerveen)

"This time, FIDE has managed to start with a solution and finish with problems."
(Viswanathan Anand)

"Checkers after 13 years of brute force analysis of all 500 billion billion possible positions has been solved. Prof Schaeffer (Canada) calculated that if checkers could be solved in one nanosecond (instead of 13 years) it would take this computer 3000 years to solve chess.
(Peter Parr)

"In order not to be unfair to Black, who tends to suffer in books such as this, here are some actual cases where White came to grief on the analogous square - g2."
(Vladimir Vukovic)

"Some like to attack, while others prefer to suffer for material."
(Dorian Rogozenko)

"A report in todays Canberra Times newspaper reveals that the Australian Capital Territories Unlawful Games Act "prohibits any games of 'skill or chance' in which money or other valuables are staked". Games covered by the legislation include chess, bridge, backgammon and scrabble. The penalties for players involved in these activities face a $1000 fine, while organisers can be fined $10,000 and jailed for up to a year. The act has been on the books for 23 years, "but the Gaming and Racing Commision believes no one has ever been prosecuted for the offence". It appears that the government will amend the law later in the year to exempt the games concerned.
Until then I figure the government won't waste the time or money of trying to arrest anyone for running a chess tournament, so its probably safe to come to Canberra for the Doeberl Cup."
(Shaun Press)

"I am not marrying because the game needs to be devoted a lot of time. Chess is my life and my wife"
(IM Lodhi Mahmood, from Pakistan)

"The life of a professional sports person is difficult, you should think carefully about it. Now if you were Viswanathan Anand it would be different..."
(Said to Viswanathan Anand by a fellow passanger on a train)

"It is illegal to capture the opponent's king, regardless of what Johny [Bolens] says"
(Peter Cassettari)

Garvinator
31-12-2007, 10:02 PM
"This time, FIDE has managed to start with a solution and finish with problems." (Viswanathan Anand)
Out of the selection, this is my favourite :D

1min_grandmaster
01-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes, it's a funny quote. But I think Anand did not have to say "This time"; his quote could be used for almost everything FIDE has done recently.

Denis_Jessop
01-01-2008, 09:39 PM
The Act does not now apply to backgammon, chess, bridge or scrabble having been amended last year (2007) to exclude them. Though poker is a prescribed game, and thus an "unlawful game", poker played in a private home by fewer than 9 people is exempted.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
"It is illegal to capture the opponent's king, regardless of what Johny [Bolens] says"(Peter Cassettari)

I liked a lot of those, but especially this one. :P

Desmond
01-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Bump for the newbies. :)

Ivanchuk_Fan
01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

"Have Fun". Without this piece of advice, no other advice would be as beneficial.

antichrist
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I may have invented this one and I may have not posted it before: it is never too late to resign.

Ian Murray
06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
'Tis better to have checked and lost, than never to have checked at all

BennyG
06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ian Murray
I like it :P

Miranda
06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
The best advice I've been given:

Win

antichrist
07-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Not necessary, coz one could draw without ever checking, mate.. And one could win by opponent resigning without ever checking them as well.

Ian Murray
08-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Not necessary, coz one could draw without ever checking, mate.. And one could win by opponent resigning without ever checking them as well.
We all know that! It's a joke, nor a serious statement :wall:

Desmond
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
There is a difference betweeen getting better and getting a better rating.

antichrist
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
There is a difference betweeen getting better and getting a better rating.

Sure, just play in the St George Comp on a particular year and seeds blooms to roses

Tyson
22-10-2008, 11:23 PM
saw on a t-shirt once- "Chess players are always ready to mate"

1min_grandmaster
31-12-2008, 06:02 PM
My favourite quotes of 2008 (some said earlier but only discovered by me this year):

"There is a God. And he is not Bulgarian!"
(Nigel Short, after defeating Ivan Cheparinov in the replayed game; Cheparinov had refused to shake his hand in the first game)

"This result ends the illusion that Kramnik is a great match player."
(Garry Kasparov at the end of the Anand vs Kramnik match)

"It could be better"
(Vladimir Kramnik, when asked if his position was critical at the end of Game 5 in his match vs Anand when the score was 2-0)

"Chess is cool"
(Motto of Alexandra Kosteniuk)

"Sexy, self-confident, sociable ... can we be talking about a professional chess player? Yes, we can"
(Pergammon Chess magazine talking about Antoaneta Stefanova)

"There is this naughty animal. You kick him out from the door; it will come from the window."
(Alexei Shirov; translated from Russian by drug, referring to the scandals in chess)

"They say that during the filming of "The Black Dahlia," when Scarlett Johansson came into a hotel in Sofia the people barely looked at her because they were intently watching a game of yours (Veselin Topalov) on television."
(Zaragoza R. Lahoz)

"I was fully aware from the start that our chances for success were terribly slim, and that I was one of the few Russians who could run away from the dangers. It has never been my style, on the chessboard or in life, to back down from challenges when the odds are against me or when there is a safer option. When there is a moral imperative at stake, you don't calculate the odds. It may sound strange coming from a chess player, but some decisions we don't make with our heads. We make them with our hearts."
(Garry Kasparov)

"Capablanca is unforunately still dead"
(Facebook profile for the group "José Raúl Capablanca: The Human Chess Machine")

"I think the proposal that we should all play on until checkmate is delivered is (if I may say so) fairly silly. Once I'd decided that my situation was hopeless enough to resign, I would just give my remaining pieces away, or set up a self-mate, to get the painful ordeal over.

Mehrdad does, however, have a point that it is sometimes difficult to know from the game score why a grandmaster resigned. On the other hand, often working it out is a useful training exercise (and one can now always "ask Fritz"). However, this is complicated now that a loss is simply shown as "0-1", whatever the reason for the loss: checkmate, resignation, losing on time, or (now) losing by a misbehaving mobile phone. I have sometimes spent time trying to puzzle out why someone resigned, only to discover that they didn't resign at all, but lost in some other way. Hence it might be a good idea to add a symbol to the "0-1" to explain why the game ended: we already have a mate symbol; resigns could perhaps be an unhappy face; other ways of losing could be shown by a clock or a ringing phone. We would now also have to create a symbol for people who turn up to the game one second late (an empty chair, perhaps?), and others for any other idiotic new ways of losing that FIDE come up with. The addition of such symbols would not involve much effort, and would allow someone playing through the game to be able to work out what happened at the end of it - which would indeed be useful to us ordinary players."
(Pete Morriss)

"The errors committed in the following example are quite instructive. They could have been put in the "Tragicomedies" section, except that I already had plenty of material for that section without them."
(Mark Dvoretsky, Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual)

"You need to have a life apart from chess, then there is no danger [of going mad]. You have to have other interests. But there weren't that many [chess players] who became seriously deranged. Only they [Steinitz, Fischer] became known to a wide public. I am sure there are just as many crazy doctors or bus drivers."
(Viswanathan Anand)

"No, that would not have helped me a lot. I would have missed the fun."
(Viswanathan Anand, in response to "Unlike the Russian prodigies you were not systematically trained. Would you have liked to go to a special chess school?")

"There is a difference if you know someone and if you understand him"
(Viswanathan Anand, refering to his preperations against Kramnik)

"It is difficult to say; so much depends on the point of view. There are three possible types of best game - a fine attack, a brilliant defence, or a purely artistic treatment."
(Jose Raul Capablanca, in answer to a question of what was his best game)

"I mean, what other sport has such a thing - the contestants can agree to a tie at any time?"
(Rick Massimo)

Adamski
01-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Great quotes 1 min GM. I would like to add one, now that it is no longer my sig as it is offputtingly long for other posters:

World Champion Emanuel Lasker in Lasker's Manual of Chess: "Life is generated only by life. He who wants to educate himself in Chess must evade what is dead in Chess - artificial theories, supported by few instances and unheld by an excess of human wit; the habit of playing with inferior opponents; the custom of avoiding difficult tasks; the weakness of uncritically taking over variations or rules discovered by others; the vanity which is self-sufficient; the incapacity for admitting mistakes; in brief, everything that leads to a standstill or to anarchy."

Rincewind
01-01-2009, 10:10 AM
"I mean, what other sport has such a thing - the contestants can agree to a tie at any time?"
(Rick Massimo)

Cricket. Usually in the final session of a four innings match where it is obvious the batting side will not make the runs and the bowling side will not take the wickets.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Cricket. Usually in the final session of a four innings match where it is obvious the batting side will not make the runs and the bowling side will not take the wickets.

That's not "at any time" though, is it? I thought it was a cutoff, like the game could only be called off a certain time before stumps (half an hour or an hour or something like that.)

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2009, 11:50 AM
"There is this naughty animal. You kick him out from the door; it will come from the window."
(Alexei Shirov; translated from Russian by drug, referring to the scandals in chess)

IIRC he was talking mainly in response to the Socko-Foisor armageddon blitz playoff ending with a win on time for K+N vs another K+N.

Rincewind
01-01-2009, 12:19 PM
That's not "at any time" though, is it? I thought it was a cutoff, like the game could only be called off a certain time before stumps (half an hour or an hour or something like that.)

Quite true. I suspect it is 1 hour as the Laws of Cricket talk quite about the last hour of play but I can't locate the rule by which captains can agree to leave the field but it does happen reasonably regularly when no result seems possible, even though theoretically 2 overs is all that is needed to dismiss a side.

Desmond
31-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I doubt there is a general maxim to any situation! (Jono 30/03/09)

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
01-04-2009, 04:18 AM
I doubt there is a general maxim to any situation! (Jono 30/03/09)

what about "keep breathing" :) :)

Capablanca-Fan
01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
what about "keep breathing" :) :)
Not if you're under water.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Not if you're under water.

hmmm

"keep breathing, if need be with artificial means."

Basil
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
hmmm

"keep breathing, if need be with artificial means."
assisted suicide clinic?

i'm being perfectly serious and not making light of a serious subject.

Saragossa
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
"You think our problems are bad? You should see our solutions!" caption to a photo of George Bush's face. But it dose have some relevence to chess.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
assisted suicide clinic?

i'm being perfectly serious and not making light of a serious subject.

i was just thinking of the oxygen tank.

btw, how does philip nietchke (sp.) keep people breathing ??

Basil
01-04-2009, 06:08 PM
i was just thinking of the oxygen tank.

btw, how does philip nietchke (sp.) keep people breathing ??
Is this another 'how do you make a venetian blind' or 'how do you make a hormone'?

Either way, I give up.

Kaitlin
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
?? are interlectuals killing chess ??

antichrist
04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
?? are interlectuals killing chess ??

you are correct Kaitlin, postmodernists in the form of hypemodernists are trying to put up a smokescreen to fool the traditionalists - but hold your ground and things will be okay

Desmond
26-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Chess games seldom repeat themselves, but they do often rhyme - Nasruddin Hodja (chessgames.com kibitzer)

Paul Cavezza
27-05-2009, 01:32 AM
“You know, I can beat all those guys.”~ Bobby Fischer

Rincewind
27-05-2009, 08:35 AM
“You know, I can beat all those guys.”~ Bobby Fischer

By the same guy...

"There are tough players and nice guys, and I'm a tough player."

Paul Cavezza
28-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Which world champ said "anyone who doesn't play e4 is a chicken"

Rincewind
28-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Which world champ said "anyone who doesn't play e4 is a chicken"

Mohammad Ali?

Desmond
25-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Ability to calmly convert superior position to a full pint comes with experience. Personally, I still haven't mastered that particular skill...

Rincewind
25-06-2009, 02:21 PM

I would have thought just saying "Loser buys the next round" just about does it. ;)

Desmond
08-09-2009, 02:11 PM
From here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=254324#post254324)

In my opinion concrete calculation is always better than trying to evaluate if a certain piece is in danger in a certain area - unless you calculate wrong of course.

Sheroff
12-09-2009, 05:26 PM
1. "Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good" - J.R. Capablanca

2. "Buy a copy of the superb book Australian Chess Brilliancies" - Kevin Casey

3. "If it is the State vs Vodka, I'll take the side of Vodka" - Mikhail Tal

4. "I'll whup you with class, I'll whup you with style. When I'm through with your king, we won't be seeing him for awhile" - Muhammad Ali while playing chess

5. "Australian Chess Brilliancies, only $19.95 plus $3.00 postage and handling from Kimberley Publications, PO Box 6095, Upper Mt. Gravatt QLD 4122. Hey, how did this blatant plug for my chess book get in here??" - Someone pretending to not be Kevin Casey...

Kaitlin
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
under your breath say: everyone dose that move

Desmond
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
under your breath say: everyone dose that move
or "everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen" /Darth Sidious.

ChessJam
13-11-2009, 02:00 AM
I like:

“Of Chess it has been said that life is not long
enough for it, but that is the fault of life, not Chess”
-William Ewart Napier
:D

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
There are two types of openings - those I don't know, and those I know well and play badly.

Adamski
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
1. "Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good" - J.R. Capablanca

2. "Buy a copy of the superb book Australian Chess Brilliancies" - Kevin Casey

3. "If it is the State vs Vodka, I'll take the side of Vodka" - Mikhail Tal

4. "I'll whup you with class, I'll whup you with style. When I'm through with your king, we won't be seeing him for awhile" - Muhammad Ali while playing chess

5. "Australian Chess Brilliancies, only $19.95 plus $3.00 postage and handling from Kimberley Publications, PO Box 6095, Upper Mt. Gravatt QLD 4122. Hey, how did this blatant plug for my chess book get in here??" - Someone pretending to not be Kevin Casey...

Points 2 and 5 are well worth the plug, Kevin. I am still reading through the book with chess pieces to hand, having bought it as per point 5 some time ago. Enjoying clasics from Wohl, Rogers, Johansen, even Casey!

Adamski
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
"Mind your P's and Q's". Motto of the Otago Chess Club, Dunedin, NZ.
I use it, when I remember, as a reminder to check for one or 2 move blunders before playing a move that I have decided to play.

Desmond
13-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.
Vince Lombardi

Desmond
16-06-2012, 10:26 AM
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.
Juma Ikangaa

ER
16-06-2012, 08:06 PM
There are two types of openings - those I don't know, and those I know well and play badly.

in my case, there are also two types of openings - those I don't know and those I know nothing about but one day I will study them! :P

machomortensen
16-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Sorry for play Kevin(!), but it's a great quote!!

Desmond
10-08-2012, 03:50 PM
"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well."
- G. K. Chesterton

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
12-08-2012, 12:58 AM
"if you lose son, your out of the family" - anon.

Sheroff
14-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Nigel Short said something like this: "More decisive advantages are squandered in rook and pawn endgames than in any other types of positions". Quite true - they appear to be simple, but can be far more complex than anticipated, and require finesse and numerous branches of accurate calculation.

When offered a draw once by a junior who was clearly lost, I replied,
"Regrettably, Sir, I must respectfully decline your kind offer".:hand: :D

Cheers, Kevin Casey

Kevin Bonham
14-08-2012, 12:46 AM
"A rook is just not worth five pawns anymore" - seen in published analysis of a game with an exchange sac sometime in the last 5-10 years. Annoyingly I didn't note the source of the comment and have never been able to find it again.

Max Illingworth
14-08-2012, 11:58 AM
"A rook is just not worth five pawns anymore" - seen in published analysis of a game with an exchange sac sometime in the last 5-10 years. Annoyingly I didn't note the source of the comment and have never been able to find it again.

Was the game in question Grischuk-Shirov, Russia-ROW 2002?

Kevin Bonham
14-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Was the game in question Grischuk-Shirov, Russia-ROW 2002?

I think it was later than that but could be wrong.

Denis_Jessop
18-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Was a Rook ever worth 5 pawns? Cecil Purdy was only prepared to give it "nearly 5 pawns". It may now be devalued through inflation. Moreover, I'd much rather move one Rook than 5 pawns at the same time. :)

DJ

ER
14-11-2012, 07:53 PM
The following comment was made by a The Guardian reader after reading the following article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/12/judit-polgar-everything-chess

published on 12 November 2012

I love chess, but be warned , if you want to be really good, it will eat your life away.....check...

Thanks Henrik for suggesting the article! :)

Grant Szuveges
14-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I always liked Frank Lekkas' one liner "is that a fianchetto bishop in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

But there are 2 that I actually invented myself which I tend to use a lot:

1. You dont have to play well, you just have to play well enough.

AND

2. You dont have to do anything well, you just have to do it well enough.

(in life and in chess for both)

As for regular non-chess expressions, you cant go past my favourite of all time:

"Carrying on like a pork chop"!!!!

Does ANYONE know where on earth that expression came from???

Kaitlin
15-11-2012, 05:57 PM
sometimes I say...

"...such is the way of Nano"

Rincewind
15-11-2012, 08:48 PM
"Carrying on like a pork chop"!!!!

Does ANYONE know where on earth that expression came from???

I believe the long version is "like a pork chop in a synagogue" or "like a pork chop at a bar mitzvah". Obviously making light of Jewish dietary practices.

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Karjakin's Rc6!! against Morozevich last night reminded me of this little passage from George RR Martin's Unsound Variations that I like:

"Peter Norten had not played a game of tournament chess in a long, long time, but he still remembered the way it had felt when an opponent suddenly made an unexpected move that changed the whole complexion of the game: the brief initial confusion, the what is that? feeling, followed by panic when you realise the strength of the unexpected move, and then the awful swelling gloom that built and built as you followed through one losing variation after another in your head. There was no worse moment in the game of chess."

(except, perhaps, vagueing out and losing on time in a probably won position a la Smerdon at Olympiad.)

Desmond
07-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Gata Kamsky from a banter blitz:

Keep your rooks behind the cavalry. The cavalry can really ruin your day.

Capablanca-Fan
08-12-2020, 08:45 AM
That's one of my favourites too, and also simply his name which I believe is pronounced something like blahblahblahblov ;)

Beth Harmon mispronounced it as BoGOLyubov instead of BogolYUbov.

Desmond
30-12-2020, 10:24 PM
"It’s just you and your opponent at the board and you’re trying to prove something.” -Bobby Fischer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOZ1VFK4qo

antichrist
31-12-2020, 06:37 AM
"It’s just you and your opponent at the board and you’re trying to prove something.” -Bobby Fischer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOZ1VFK4qo

That doesn't sound like the Bobby that I remember rtc- there were supposed to be hypnotists looking into his eyes

Desmond
03-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Me - Which is more powerful - Batman the dark knight or a chess knight?
My 8yo son - Well a chess knight can kill, so... the chess knight.

James Peirce
04-03-2021, 02:20 PM
"The best method to win a level position is to offer a draw. If your opponent declines they will likely blunder and lose!"