PDA

View Full Version : looking for chess books

qpawn
17-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I have looked in vain for certain chess books that are, I assume, out of print because of their descriptive in some acses] notation. I am happy to read descriptive; I learnt it before algebraic.

They used to be i n Frankston Library until it changed location. Then they sold alot of their chess books. I have got them to look upstairs and on the shelves.

Has anyone either got the following books for sale? Or do they know of a library or shop that has them? I add that as a maths graduate who has read code-cracking books, I do not buy things over the net.

[1] Max Euwe and Walter Meiden: chess master versus grandmaster. A fantastic discussion of opening ideas and the resulting middlegames. in descriptive.

[2] John Love :Positional ideas in chess

Love is a British chess coach who goes through classic examples of positional themes in master games. Then there are questions to answer aftereach game. might be algebraic.

[3] John Love: Tactical ideas in chess.

As above but with tactics.

I read all 3 of these books about 10 years ago when Frankston library still had them. A LOT of what I know [not that I know much] comes from these 3 books. I would very much like to read all 3 again.

Anyone who has any of them and is prepared to sell me one should PM . For that matter if anyone has books gathering dust that are in descriptive you might like to PM me as well; it might be something I am interested in!!

Bill Gletsos
17-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I have looked in vain for certain chess books that are, I assume, out of print because of their descriptive in some acses] notation. I am happy to read descriptive; I learnt it before algebraic.

They used to be i n Frankston Library until it changed location. Then they sold alot of their chess books. I have got them to look upstairs and on the shelves.

Has anyone either got the following books for sale? Or do they know of a library or shop that has them? I add that as a maths graduate who has read code-cracking books, I do not buy things over the net.Your loss as many books can be bought at excellent prices from Amazon etc.

[1] Max Euwe and Walter Meiden: chess master versus grandmaster. A fantastic discussion of opening ideas and the resulting middlegames. in descriptive.I think you may have the wrong title.
If you meant Chess Master V Chess Amateur by Euwe and Meiden then that is available from Chess Discount Sales for $21.95. It is probably the 1994 algebraic reprint.

[2] John Love :Positional ideas in chess

Love is a British chess coach who goes through classic examples of positional themes in master games. Then there are questions to answer aftereach game. might be algebraic.Published in 1985. No local source I can see. It is available via Amazon and affiliates from $US25 or Amazon UK for around 55 (if you were reaklly desperate).

[[3] John Love: Tactical ideas in chess.

As above but with tactics.Published in 1981. I can not find a local source or at Amazon US. Available via Amazon UK for 6.95.

Desmond
17-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I think you may have the wrong title.
If you meant Chess Master V Chess Amateur by Euwe and Meiden then that is available from Chess Discount Sales for $21.95. It is probably the 1994 algebraic reprint.

I have this book on my shelf. It is a 1995 descriptive print. I would be willing to sell it. PM me if interested.

Bill Gletsos
17-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I have this book on my shelf. It is a 1995 descriptive print.You are correct it is descriptive. Amazon lists it as a 1994 Dover reprint.

I would be willing to sell it. PM me if interested.No doubt your PM request is directed at qpawn, not me. ;)

Desmond
17-06-2006, 05:27 PM
No doubt your PM request is directed at qpawn, not me. ;)
Correct :D

qpawn
17-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok

Carl Gorka
17-06-2006, 08:09 PM
The State Library of Victoria has all 3 books, if you're still in Melbourne. Photocopied versions won't be that less expensive.;)

qpawn
17-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes. That's an idea. I might go to the State library and photocopy a few pages/.

Southpaw Jim
17-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I have heard of people who found scanned PDF copies of books on the internet on peer-to-peer networks and that kind of thing :whistle: