PDA

View Full Version : The Krasnoyarsk Chess Camps of the 1950s [fiction]

Axiom
14-06-2006, 08:49 PM
i was one of many that learned chess in the brutal chess camps of Krasnoyarsk in the 1950s.

I recall one teacher, Bresislan Gorkiananov, he was very tough , but generally fair.This topic arose from the vic open thread, and i was asked to start up this new thread.

Anyone who knows anything of these camps(perhaps our russian emigre friends) please feel free to disclose here.

I personally, find it somewhat difficult to talk about those days , thankyou.

Alan Shore
14-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I would have loved to have been a part of that. I never really had any discipline growing up because I was lucky to have academic prowess and placid behaviour but it's not the greatest basis to give oneself motivation and self-discipline later in life.

Although things may have been hard then, it likely gave you an appreciation once you left and a strong sense of work ethic.

No one's pressing you to talk about it if things were really hard but I still remain interested if you wish to share anything further.

Axiom
14-06-2006, 10:05 PM
I would have loved to have been a part of that. I never really had any discipline growing up because I was lucky to have academic prowess and placid behaviour but it's not the greatest basis to give oneself motivation and self-discipline later in life.

Although things may have been hard then, it likely gave you an appreciation once you left and a strong sense of work ethic.

No one's pressing you to talk about it if things were really hard but I still remain interested if you wish to share anything further.
firstly , thankyou belthasar for you kind appreciation.i have very little so called work ethic, i was like you, i gained great wisdom from those days,..but to work like a slave was not one of them.

something i will never forget is during one of our 4 month block studies, on a line of the kings indian attack, our coach suddenly jumped out of his chair , throwing opening books in the air,yelling " theory is not chess,theory is not chess, theory is not chess"...once he had calmed down, we asked him what he was saying...he said,"i will teach you the principles of chess, no longer will you have to claw through tome after tome of opening theory,you have done enough. you will learn to fight like a siberian tiger in the wilderness".......we thought he had finally lost his mind...but it was in those following months i learned much as to what was at the heart of chess and even life itself.

Of course there were dark days as well(and im not just talking siberian winters either!) , there were many lonely days in dark cold dank chambers, where we were literally starved , until we had satisfactorily completed on of the modules(there were over 900 of these modules).....even the word "module" gives me a shiver down the spine.

But i learned the value of freedom of expression through chess, you could create, be master of your destiny, you did not have to rely on any authority. you could be like a god, in a way....you actually became one of the much feared - "siberian chess tigers"...all the students at these camps , had to have a tatoo, it is of a siberian tiger with a king in its mouth, very striking!

Axiom
15-06-2006, 01:38 AM
THE KGB,AND LINE XX9

In the late autumn of 1955, under the ok from our coach, a small breakaway group emerged at chess camp omega, that was dedicated in finding new revolutionary chess opening weapons.. this was contrary to the "correct style" soviet school philsophy

We met twice weekly at different locations, researching various new off beat lines, one of these lines ,named "XX9" was in fact 1e4 ...2.f3! yes! now reborn as the possum! Our secret lab, had made several breakthroughs, and many "leaks" helped the soviet chess school develop more complete opening systems.

It became apparant to myself and others, that our "new research" was in fact reaching the kremlin itself! We had been infiltrated by a special chess associated branch of the KGB(they dealt with utilising chess as a political tool , during cold war), they were known as "The Wolf64",..and i tell you, you did not want to mess with them!.....We had no choice but to shut down the labs.

It is my dream that i can continue my research here on this bb.....i thankyou for your attention, and would be happy to answer questions about my time in the krasno chess camps.....i have many more tales from those times!

Alan Shore
15-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Well the obvious questions are, how old were you at the time, and how did you even get pushed into these camps in the first place? Was it part of school or even, at the expense of school?

antichrist
15-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Ax, I am sure you must have read that book The Royal Game? Are there cases like that?

Axiom
15-06-2006, 01:48 AM
All graduates of the school, were given tattoos, on the backs of their move playing hand. On the back of my right hand i have this tattoo. It is of a snarling white siberian tiger holding a black king in its slobbering jaws...for those not expecting it, when playing, can be a terrible shock.

Once an old man refused to play me, he told arbitar, that he felt threatened, i said to him "only my pieces will threaten you sir,please play"....but he steadfastly refused, i won on forfeit!

Axiom
15-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Well the obvious questions are, how old were you at the time, and how did you even get pushed into these camps in the first place? Was it part of school or even, at the expense of school? i was in my teens when i started at the camps, i was chosen,i was top in my school, so my parents were convinced was a good thing...yes it took 20 hours from school a week

Axiom
15-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Ax, I am sure you must have read that book The Royal Game? Are there cases like that?i am not familiar, im sorry, of which cases do you speak?

antichrist
15-06-2006, 02:22 AM
i am not familiar, im sorry, of which cases do you speak?

A guy gets sent to the Gulag and only possession is a chess book, of which over about 20 years he manages to remember every move - then years later on a cruise he gets sidetracked into supporting players to beat champions or something like that but all terrible flashbacks return. Was written by author of The Hussler

Axiom
15-06-2006, 02:43 AM
A guy gets sent to the Gulag and only possession is a chess book, of which over about 20 years he manages to remember every move - then years later on a cruise he gets sidetracked into supporting players to beat champions or something like that but all terrible flashbacks return. Was written by author of The Hussler
ahh, yes, i understand....i had blocked most of it from my mind,...but when i saw watto's post in the vic open thread, and i read how IM was relaxing watching football enjoying beer and nuts, i had sudden blinding flashback!

It was this description in watto's post, that suddenly transported me back to "the study rooms".......when we had poor tourn, coach would send us there for days...it was this stark contrast with IM in the west(no pun intended) that rattled dormant neurons.....im still having some difficulty in truely coming to terms, with the fact , that it was beer and nuts. When we had party , after good tourn, we had bootleg vodka, and some smoked deer meat, we often heard of the titled players getting beer, nuts, and western fast food....we were very jealous...i think it just sparked off this flashback episode.

antichrist
15-06-2006, 02:47 AM
side-tracking, many Ukrainians can play good chess inspite of much vodka in the system.

Axiom
15-06-2006, 02:58 AM
To assist me in coming to terms with those days in krasno, i thought good therapy, would be to write a country music song.....

something like(to the tune of the "sherrif of the county") for first 2 lines

there aint no beer and nuts in krasno,
just fear and guts in krasno,
the coach says no no no
free your spirit and go go go
we are the chess tigers ,
of siberia!

there aint no beer and nuts in krasno,
just fear and guts in krasno,

i invite a skilled lyricist to assist...thankyou

Axiom
15-06-2006, 03:07 AM
side-tracking, many Ukrainians can play good chess inspite of much vodka in the system.hahaha i have many stories of our ukrainian adversaries, we played team from kiev often, called KIEV ASSASINS.......Many of them refused to play unless their coach had no less than 1.5 litres of vodka per player, 24 hours prior to the start of their matches!!....years later the coach was found with a single bullet wound to the back of the head, killed execution style, it is thought he was mixed up in the bootleg vodka industry

AlexDavies
15-06-2006, 01:43 PM

"The Hustler" was written by Walter Tevis, who also authored "The Queen's Gambit". Stefan Zweig was the bloke who authored "The Royal Game", which is one of the two classic fictional works about chess, along with Nabokov's "The Defence".

Arrogant-One
15-06-2006, 02:51 PM
firstly , thankyou belthasar for you kind appreciation.i have very little so called work ethic, i was like you, i gained great wisdom from those days,..but to work like a slave was not one of them.

something i will never forget is during one of our 4 month block studies, on a line of the kings indian attack, our coach suddenly jumped out of his chair , throwing opening books in the air,yelling " theory is not chess,theory is not chess, theory is not chess"...once he had calmed down, we asked him what he was saying...he said,"i will teach you the principles of chess, no longer will you have to claw through tome after tome of opening theory,you have done enough. you will learn to fight like a siberian tiger in the wilderness".......we thought he had finally lost his mind...but it was in those following months i learned much as to what was at the heart of chess and even life itself.

Of course there were dark days as well(and im not just talking siberian winters either!) , there were many lonely days in dark cold dank chambers, where we were literally starved , until we had satisfactorily completed on of the modules(there were over 900 of these modules).....even the word "module" gives me a shiver down the spine.

But i learned the value of freedom of expression through chess, you could create, be master of your destiny, you did not have to rely on any authority. you could be like a god, in a way....you actually became one of the much feared - "siberian chess tigers"...all the students at these camps , had to have a tatoo, it is of a siberian tiger with a king in its mouth, very striking!

I have a chess tatoo as well Axiom, and mine also contains a King! Perhaps I studied in Serbia, but my mind was wiped upon defecting from the Soviet Union?

Other possibilities include me deciding I wanted a tatoo, and just getting it on the spur of the moment.

Axiom
15-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I have a chess tatoo as well Axiom, and mine also contains a King! Perhaps I studied in Serbia, but my mind was wiped upon defecting from the Soviet Union?

Other possibilities include me deciding I wanted a tatoo, and just getting it on the spur of the moment.please refrain from speaking of any tattoo, in the same breath as referring to the great glory of the siberian chess tigers!.........for us to was not spur of the moment ,like a drunken western youth, it was part of our very soul. please do not insult the dignity of the ***.

MichaelBaron
16-06-2006, 12:20 PM
please refrain from speaking of any tattoo, in the same breath as referring to the great glory of the siberian chess tigers!.........for us to was not spur of the moment ,like a drunken western youth, it was part of our very soul. please do not insult the dignity of the ***.

Axiom, your "Russian Stories" sound like fairy-tales :lol:

Arrogant-One
16-06-2006, 01:15 PM
please refrain from speaking of any tattoo, in the same breath as referring to the great glory of the siberian chess tigers!.........for us to was not spur of the moment ,like a drunken western youth, it was part of our very soul. please do not insult the dignity of the ***.

Please accept my humblest apologies comrade Axiom.

Igor_Goldenberg
16-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Axiom, your "Russian Stories" sound like fairy-tales :lol:

I'll second that.

Axiom
17-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Axiom, your "Russian Stories" sound like fairy-tales :lol:Michael i respect you as good russian, please respect me as good siberian............i know it seems too incredible to be true, but this is real life story....i have many tales to tell........ever been to siberia/krasnoyarsk MB?

MichaelBaron
17-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Michael i respect you as good russian, please respect me as good siberian............i know it seems too incredible to be true, but this is real life story....i have many tales to tell........ever been to siberia/krasnoyarsk MB?

I have been to Siberia...Have you?;)

MichaelBaron
17-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Axiom, who were the top players at Krasno in the late 1950's?. :rolleyes:

Axiom
17-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Axiom, who were the top players at Krasno in the late 1950's?. :rolleyes:
grigorich,matselevich,tiniakov,oskar,solgariv....a nd of course my coach gorkiananov

Desmond
18-06-2006, 10:20 PM
With respect, would you kindly post a picture of the tatoo? I'd be very interested to see it please.

Arrogant-One
10-07-2006, 05:18 PM
With respect, would you kindly post a picture of the tatoo? I'd be very interested to see it please.
Mine or Axiom's?

Axiom
10-07-2006, 05:22 PM
With respect, would you kindly post a picture of the tatoo? I'd be very interested to see it please.it is still highly sensitive material,not to be simply splashed across the internet,...it is by our rituals, that we only show during the act of the chess move....it is only then that the true impact is realised

Arrogant-One
10-07-2006, 05:24 PM
it is still highly sensitive material,not to be simply splashed across the internet,...it is by our rituals, that we only show during the act of the chess move....it is only then that the true impact is realised
Axiom, I think it was my chess tatoo that he wanted to see. Right Boris?

Axiom
10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Axiom, I think it was my chess tatoo that he wanted to see. Right Boris?
im sorry to say, but i doubt it very much ;)

Desmond
10-07-2006, 05:54 PM
im sorry to say, but i doubt it very much ;)
Axiom is correct, it is his tattoo that I'm interested to see. Maybe we will meet OTB one day.

Axiom
10-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Axiom is correct, it is his tattoo that I'm interested to see. Maybe we will meet OTB one day.
it would be an honour boris,..in the meantime, feel free to ask any questions you may have of those interesting times

Arrogant-One
11-07-2006, 02:12 PM
it would be an honour boris,..in the meantime, feel free to ask any questions you may have of those interesting times
I am still waiting for that story about the Axiom was on his way home from chess training at the Siberian Tiger Chess Academy, when all of a sudden he found himself surrounded by vicious chess thugs.

Please tell us this story Axiom, I have heard to many variations and simply want the truth!

Shark93
09-09-2007, 12:01 AM
this is just like your other thread, cept your other thread has the 15 posts from this thread by you all put into one big post.

UELleida
13-09-2007, 06:16 PM
this is just like your other thread, cept your other thread has the 15 posts from this thread by you all put into one big post.

Yes, I was wondering why this thread came to such an abrupt halt. At what age were you able to leave the chess camp Axiom? Did any titled players emerge from it? It sounds like a fascinating tale to me.

Axiom
13-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes, I was wondering why this thread came to such an abrupt halt. At what age were you able to leave the chess camp Axiom? Did any titled players emerge from it? It sounds like a fascinating tale to me.
hi UELleida ,my recollections were only ,as you know, brought on by a major flashback episode, and can had only add to the account under likewise favorable circumstances.
i can recommend the 'Siberian Chess Tigers Revisited' thread,if you have not seen that yet.

Axiom
15-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I always wondered why i felt so uncomfortable(sometimes clinically nauseous) whenever i encountered anything to do with card games.
I recall a few years ago, having to catch a train (as my car was in repair) and having a group of card players plonk themsleves down opposite me.
I experienced extremely high levels of anxiety,and could barely look.
Because the train was very crowded, i was trapped, it was absolute hell.
Anyway to cut an ugly story short, i ended up vomiting over the foursome.
I dont want to give an account of what happened immediately after this, as it is irrelevant to the story at hand. I had simply assumed that i had suffered a bout of train travel sickness.

However after reading Rincewind's latest card games thread (yes,i should have known better), i was triggered into a another flashback.......of which i retell here....

The coach of the Siberian Chess Tigers was, as we all know, the great Bresislan (Zev) Gorkiananov or Gorky as he was affectionately known to us.
He had an almost pathological hatred of cards (or "devil tickets" as he called them).

One of his many visions was to eradicate cards from the face of the earth, but he acted locally by waging war on the card players of Krasnoyarsk.
During each summer holidays, he co-opted the *** into fighting this war.
We used to intercept the containers carrying imported card packs at the wharf, and raided card playing halls, culminating in a huge bonfire of burning devil tickets ! Gorky used to warm himself by the fire with a self statisfied look on his face, saying "This is our offering to the great god Caissa !,burn devil burn !"
I was young at the time, and the true significance of our struggle was not immediately apparant to me. All i knew was that it was very important to Gorky.
Card playing in Krasno was reduced to secretive meetings in peoples homes, but they were still terrified of an *** raid.
The best the card playing community could do was taunt us by deviously importing packs of cards with insulting illustrations on the back of each card.
Some of these illustrations i recall were , a siberian tiger being put through a ham slicer morphing into playing cards, a siberian tiger cut up as snack food on a table surrounded by a group of card players, and a card player doing something to a siberian tiger that i cant mention here.
They used to scatter these cards at chess tournament playing halls so as to insult the ***.
But Gorky had a plan ! He would recruit the Krasno street kids to collect these cards and in return supply a chess board and pieces and a free chess tutor.(who were paid by the *** Fund:-a fund set up by the estate of Gorky's uncle ,a very wealthy man who left his millions to promote chess. and with respect to him ,i cannot tell you his name, he always wanted to remain anonymous)
It was something like, for every 52 cards, 5 hours of tuition. For the street kids this was an incredible opportunity, and a win win situation for Gorky!
A few masters were created in this way, and the demonic card players were kept at bay.

This flashback has at least shed light on my cardophobia.

**********UPDATE ! ********

I am sad to report that a son of one of the card playing cartel has become a serial killer. Aleksandr Pichushkin. I recall the name and some of the history with help from my russian correspondant. It appears (and this is a chesschat exclusive !) that Aleksandr's behaviour arose from the persecution his father suffered at the hands of the *** , and he wanted to exact revenge against chess, by propagating the crazy chess killer mythos. It is a disgrace that the media falls for it everytime, and certainly underscores the desperate measures these people go to ,to undermine Caissa.

UELleida
20-09-2007, 01:26 AM
I always wondered why i felt so uncomfortable(sometimes clinically nauseous) whenever i encountered anything to do with card games.
I recall a few years ago, having to catch a train (as my car was in repair) and having a group of card players plonk themsleves down opposite me.
I experienced extremely high levels of anxiety,and could barely look.
Because the train was very crowded, i was trapped, it was absolute hell.
Anyway to cut an ugly story short, i ended up vomiting over the foursome.
I dont want to give an account of what happened immediately after this, as it is irrelevant to the story at hand. I had simply assumed that i had suffered a bout of train travel sickness.

However after reading Rincewind's latest card games thread (yes,i should have known better), i was triggered into a another flashback.......of which i retell here....

The coach of the Siberian Chess Tigers was, as we all know, the great Bresislan (Zev) Gorkiananov or Gorky as he was affectionately known to us.
He had an almost pathological hatred of cards (or "devil tickets" as he called them).

One of his many visions was to eradicate cards from the face of the earth, but he acted locally by waging war on the card players of Krasnoyarsk.
During each summer holidays, he co-opted the *** into fighting this war.
We used to intercept the containers carrying imported card packs at the wharf, and raided card playing halls, culminating in a huge bonfire of burning devil tickets ! Gorky used to warm himself by the fire with a self statisfied look on his face, saying "This is our offering to the great god Caissa !,burn devil burn !"
I was young at the time, and the true significance of our struggle was not immediately apparant to me. All i knew was that it was very important to Gorky.
Card playing in Krasno was reduced to secretive meetings in peoples homes, but they were still terrified of an *** raid.
The best the card playing community could do was taunt us by deviously importing packs of cards with insulting illustrations on the back of each card.
Some of these illustrations i recall were , a siberian tiger being put through a ham slicer morphing into playing cards, a siberian tiger cut up as snack food on a table surrounded by a group of card players, and a card player doing something to a siberian tiger that i cant mention here.
They used to scatter these cards at chess tournament playing halls so as to insult the ***.
But Gorky had a plan ! He would recruit the Krasno street kids to collect these cards and in return supply a chess board and pieces and a free chess tutor.(who were paid by the *** Fund:-a fund set up by the estate of Gorky's uncle ,a very wealthy man who left his millions to promote chess. and with respect to him ,i cannot tell you his name, he always wanted to remain anonymous)
It was something like, for every 52 cards, 5 hours of tuition. For the street kids this was an incredible opportunity, and a win win situation for Gorky!
A few masters were created in this way, and the demonic card players were kept at bay.

This flashback has at least shed light on my cardophobia.

**********UPDATE ! ********

I am sad to report that a son of one of the card playing cartel has become a serial killer. Aleksandr Pichushkin. I recall the name and some of the history with help from my russian correspondant. It appears (and this is a chesschat exclusive !) that Aleksandr's behaviour arose from the persecution his father suffered at the hands of the *** , and he wanted to exact revenge against chess, by propagating the crazy chess killer mythos. It is a disgrace that the media falls for it everytime, and certainly underscores the desperate measures these people go to ,to undermine Caissa.

Pichushkin could only number as many as a deck of cards and didn't make the full board square count.... was that on purpose?
Out of the *** today, who are the surviving masters?

Axiom
02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Reading about inter-club here , i suddenly received intermittent flashbacks , maybe not so much flash backs as such , but perhaps more like flash leaks......

I remember playing in a team chess tournament, in a beautiful old hall , with 1000 candles ( thousand points of light ? ) around the architrave, and the floor itself was a chess board! ( with one table per square)

It was rumoured that the f7 square on this floor had a secret trap door that led to some ancient secret vault containing sacred lore of the *** originators ( it is said that the *** is in fact only the latest in a long line of activists which began in ancient Eygpt!

I can tell you the team i played in at this point was, in board order

1. Nexus
2. Ox
3. Ax
4. Vixen

Our team manger was obsessed with the letter "X", he said it was a subliminal message conveying to our opponents that we are all about "taking".

Taking the very piece out of them!

Also he said the "X" was a symbol originally derived from the shape vine binding makes when a stone blade is fastened to a wooden club, in forming an axe.

Of course I was flattered.

I also recall one team called "Death Square 64" who were bikies wearing black leather jackets with an embroidered image of a chess board with blood oozing from the a1-h8 diagonal on the back.
Naturally they played hyper aggressive openings , and when anyone of their team won , it was their custom to simply pick up the opponent's king and snap it in two directly in front of the opponent's nose.
This was an understood and accepted custom from this team , much the same way the haka is accepted in rugby union. ( and yes , we did have a box of spare kings out the back ! )

MichaelBaron
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Reading about inter-club here , i suddenly received intermittent flashbacks , maybe not so much flash backs as such , but perhaps more like flash leaks......

I remember playing in a team chess tournament, in a beautiful old hall , with 1000 candles ( thousand points of light ? ) around the architrave, and the floor itself was a chess board! ( with one table per square)

It was rumoured that the f7 square on this floor had a secret trap door that led to some ancient secret vault containing sacred lore of the *** originators ( it is said that the *** is in fact only the latest in a long line of activists which began in ancient Eygpt!

I can tell you the team i played in at this point was, in board order

1. Nexus
2. Ox
3. Ax
4. Vixen

Our team manger was obsessed with the letter "X", he said it was a subliminal message conveying to our opponents that we are all about "taking".

Taking the very piece out of them!

Also he said the "X" was a symbol originally derived from the shape vine binding makes when a stone blade is fastened to a wooden club, in forming an axe.

Of course I was flattered.

I also recall one team called "Death Square 64" who were bikies wearing black leather jackets with an embroidered image of a chess board with blood oozing from the a1-h8 diagonal on the back.
Naturally they played hyper aggressive openings , and when anyone of their team won , it was their custom to simply pick up the opponent's king and snap it in two directly in front of the opponent's nose.
This was an understood and accepted custom from this team , much the same way the haka is accepted in rugby union. ( and yes , we did have a box of spare kings out the back ! )

No comment....

Desmond
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Can I take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the equivalent of those 4 names in Russian do not contain the letter "x".

MichaelBaron
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Can I take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the equivalent of those 4 names in Russian do not contain the letter "x".

Boris, Axiom's stories are not about Russia. When reading them, i get a feeling - they are about a team competition between Mental hospitals. I wonder how "Ax" performed on board 3 :)

Vlad
08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Boris, Axiom's stories are not about Russia. When reading them, i get a feeling - they are about a team competition between Mental hospitals. I wonder how "Ax" performed on board 3 :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Axiom
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Boris, Axiom's stories are not about Russia. When reading them, i get a feeling - they are about a team competition between Mental hospitals.I wonder how "Ax" performed on board 3 :)
Michael it is sad to see such disrespect for the great *** and those fantastical days with your comments above .
Ask yourself this :-
Would the chess world be blessed with such an uber modern opening as the possum , if it were not for the brave work of gorkiananov and the *** ?? :eek:

And i performed quite well on board 3 , thank you.
We defeated Death Square 64 , 3-1 . I defeated my opponent Ivan ("the thug") Kiniptatov , and i picked up his king to feign snapping it in front of his nose whilst laughing . He was not impressed, and nor were his team mates , luckily Nexus our team captain managed to calm them down , by offering to play simul blitz against them with time odds and betting stakes.
I do not know what possessed me to be so cheeky and frankly ,stupid, it may have still been the vodka in the blood from gorky's coach of the year award ceremony the night before.

MichaelBaron
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I do not know what possessed me to be so cheeky and frankly ,stupid, .

Neither do I:hmm:

Axiom
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Neither do I:hmm:
you see , you just cannot help yourself can you , you cannot miss a chance to smear the good name of the *** .
Tell this board honestly , do you have any ties with the following , the KGB , Black Wolf , P2 -lodge , The Black Hand , freemasons, The Golden rationalists, IZW 55 , Common Purpose or The Foundation ?

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Boris, Axiom's stories are not about Russia. When reading them, i get a feeling - they are about a team competition between Mental hospitals. I wonder how "Ax" performed on board 3 :)I seriously doubt if Axiom is Russian.

Axiom
08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I seriously doubt if Axiom is Russian.
and your doubts would be well supported.
I , Axiom am a very proud Siberian .

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I , Axiom am a very proud Siberian .I also doubt you are Siberian.

Axiom
08-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I also doubt you are Siberian.
well, i'm sorry , but now you are simply going too far .

MichaelBaron
09-08-2008, 02:21 AM
I , Axiom am a very proud Siberian .

Axiom, there is no such nationality as "Siberian" unless you are referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_(cat)
but in this case Siberian is your breed rather than nationality :hmm:

Btw, do you mind changing the location where your "stories take place" from Russia to some other country that you are familiar with ...at least to the point of being able to come up with more or less realistic surnames?

Axiom
09-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Axiom, there is no such nationality as "Siberian"
typical russian ! :wall:

Btw, do you mind changing the location where your "stories take place" from Russia to some other country that you are familiar with ...at least to the point of being able to come up with more or less realistic surnames?
you are black wolf disinfo agent !

Capablanca-Fan
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Axiom, there is no such nationality as "Siberian" unless you are referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_(cat)
but in this case Siberian is your breed rather than nationality :hmm:
There is no such nationality as "Queenslander" or "Wellingtonian" or "Victorian", but I could describe myself by any of these regional descriptions. A lady I knew from Kyzyl in Tuva described herself once as "central Siberian woman".

MichaelBaron
09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
There is no such nationality as "Queenslander" or "Wellingtonian" or "Victorian", but I could describe myself by any of these regional descriptions. A lady I knew from Kyzyl in Tuva described herself once as "central Siberian woman".

According to Axiom he is 'Siberian not Russian". Does it mean that it is possible to be "Victorian not Australian"?:hmm:

MichaelBaron
09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
typical russian ! :wall:

you are black wolf disinfo agent !

No, I am just an ordinary sane person :).

Zwischenzug
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I find all of this extremely amusing. Axiom, your facade of being Siberian is so colorful. I applaud you Axiom for your imagination.

CameronD
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
on another website Axiom, it stated that you were a siberian chess Tiger solely due to your family connections and that despite torture from the *** trainers, you refused to stop playing the possum. I'm trying to find the site again, I'll post it when I find it.

Axiom
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
more material here for those interested http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6076&page=2

Capablanca-Fan
09-08-2008, 10:20 PM
According to Axiom he is 'Siberian not Russian". Does it mean that it is possible to be "Victorian not Australian"?:hmm:
Not the latter. But there are many ethnic groups in Russia, so for all I know Axiom could be Turkic or Tuvan rather than Russian in ethnicity, who came from Siberia.

MichaelBaron
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Not the latter. But there are many ethnic groups in Russia, so for all I know Axiom could be Turkic or Tuvan rather than Russian in ethnicity, who came from Siberia.

Not sure about Axiom ethnisity...but very sure that he is not from Russia :).

Vlad
09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest " by Ken Keasy seems to be a proper reference for this thread.

Axiom
09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest " by Ken Keasy seems to be a proper reference for this thread.
at least we didn't have to rip out a toilet to escape ! :)

Axiom
09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Not sure about Axiom ethnisity...but very sure that he is not from Russia :).
no, Siberia .

MichaelBaron
10-08-2008, 11:06 PM
no, Siberia .

Here we go again :)

george
11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi All,

My father was Ukranian and my mother Russian. As a boy i was at many dinner tables with my parents friends in the 50's and early 60's in Adelaide and one thing I remember was the songs and many stories - some told whilst stone cold sober others towards the end of the evening when they were drunk.

I remember listening to many stories - some I am sure were true and others were not but these narratives were interesting for the listening so if AX's stories are true or not doesnt matter enjoy (if thats the word) the narrative move on and dont bite.

Kindest Regards

Metro
11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi All,

My father was Ukranian and my mother Russian. As a boy i was at many dinner tables with my parents friends in the 50's and early 60's in Adelaide and one thing I remember was the songs and many stories - some told whilst stone cold sober others towards the end of the evening when they were drunk.

I remember listening to many stories - some I am sure were true and others were not but these narratives were interesting for the listening so if AX's stories are true or not doesnt matter enjoy (if thats the word) the narrative move on and dont bite.

Kindest Regards
There is the matter of honesty:hmm: A joke gone too far?

george
11-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Met,

Yes honesty , an interesting philosophical (moral) position. Wars and homicides etc have been fought over honesty - if Ax is a pain and a liar and starts offending people the moderators can ban him and responding to him merely will encourage him if he is lying. If what he is saying is true it is interesting. If he was there and is embellishing the truth folks do that all the time for effect again it doesnt offend me but if it offends you report him to the moderators - I guess.

Kindest regards

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I regard Ax's *** stuff as all very clearly and obviously fictional. I have considered whacking a "[fiction]" tag on the thread title and still may do so, but I'm suprised that there is so much conjecture about whether it is true or not.

CameronD
12-08-2008, 01:05 AM
I regard Ax's *** stuff as all very clearly and obviously fictional. I have considered whacking a "[fiction]" tag on the thread title and still may do so, but I'm suprised that there is so much conjecture about whether it is true or not.

I just find the whole thing amusing and try to get ax started

MichaelBaron
12-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Yes honesty , an interesting philosophical (moral) position.

There is nothing wrong with fiction as long as it is clearly labled as "fiction". To me - Axiom's stories appear to be both schizofrenic and anectodal. But i can certainly imagine some of the younger contributors to this bulletin board (i believe we have a number of under 18 members) reading this hallucinational "recollections of life in Siberia" and wondering what kind of place Siberia is.

May be this thread should be moved to some other section such as for example "Jokes"

Basil
12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
... but I'm suprised that there is so much conjecture about whether it is true or not.
It is this conjecture, the sort of which used to surprise me, that accounts for much of the drongo responses that people offer up on innumerable serious topics. They simply can't compute.

Slow-witted simpletons who happen to have a higher than average IQ.

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Moderation Notice

Fiction tag added to thread title pending convincing evidence otherwise.

Discussion of above decision moved to feedback thread - please do not discuss moderation decisions on the thread they pertain to.

Bill Gletsos
12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Moderation Notice

Fiction tag added to thread title pending convincing evidence otherwise.Also added to the Siberian Chess Tiger Days Revisited thread.

Axiom
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Moderation Notice

Fiction tag added to thread title pending convincing evidence otherwise.
i'm sorry , but i find that highly offensive, not only to me , but to all that have come before me , to all the keepers of the flame , to all the great chess warriors of the *** .
You have , with this single heinous act , in effect , spat in our face .
We have a great and wondrous heritage , and we have overcome far greater obstacles before, and we will do so again .
i ask all lovers of the *** , TO STAND UP , TO FIGHT THIS GROSS SMEAR ON OUR GOOD NAME , AND EVERYTHING WE STAND FOR !
( please do so in the feedback thread )

All for one and chess for all !

this is the type of discrediting that went on under the old kremlin .
Rest assured the spirit of those times will prevail , regardless of the petty minds of small men .
it is not unlike saying
" is the mona lisa real ? "
" is the moon landing real ? "
" is the pope catholic ? "
" does a siberian bear attend to business in the forest ? " ( and here i'm referring to the siberian bears chess team of krasnoyarsk , which regularly conducted business in the local woods for fear of exposure by the ***)

MichaelBaron
12-08-2008, 10:55 PM
this is the type of discrediting that went on under the old kremlin .
Rest assured the spirit of those times will prevail , regardless of the petty minds of small men .
it is not unlike saying
" is the mona lisa real ? "
" is the moon landing real ? "
" is the pope catholic ? "
" does a siberian bear attend to business in the forest ? " ( and here i'm referring to the siberian bears chess team of krasnoyarsk , which regularly conducted business in the local woods for fear of exposure by the ***)

I like it how your compare your stories to Mona Liza :)

eclectic
12-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I like it how your compare your stories to Mona Liza :)

it took twelve years for da vinci to paint the mona lisa's lips correctly

will it take axiom as long to get his "facts" straight?

:whistle:

Axiom
26-08-2008, 12:40 AM
It's probably superfluous to say this , but please ignore the "fiction" tag in the title . It is clearly a high level disinfo Cointelpro type operation designed to smear the good word of the great *** !

Kevin Bonham
26-08-2008, 12:45 AM
It's extremely superfluous to say this, but you can safely ignore the post above. :owned:

Axiom
26-08-2008, 12:51 AM
It's extremely superfluous to say this, but you can safely ignore the post above. :owned:
see what i'm saying folks ! :owned:

Axiom
13-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Some months ago whilst sat at the computer i took a moment to reflect on something or another when i happened to focus on a clear glass tumbler left on a glass topped table next to the window.
The sunshine streamed in , through the glass tumbler onto the glass table , at such an angle as to display a dazzling diaspora .
Becoming lost in the kaleidoscope of colours ,mesmorised , transfixed , hypnotised i fell into a trance state, only to awake several hours later .......
YES ! You guessed it , I HAD AN *** FLASHBACK !!!
The first one for over a year , can you believe it ? !!
I hastily scrapped together notes of what i had gleaned from the flashback ,and having procrastinated long enough (although i do find going back to these times somewhat traumatic) i am happy today to finally record for you its contents.

But first a
recap (for new readers): I Axiom am one of the last surviving known members of the highly secret *** (Siberian Chess Tigers) , a group formed to research and promote chess based on a foundation of truth ,respect,liberty and honour in 1948 by a generous but anonymous benevolent billionaire, in Krasnoyarsk Siberia .
Plucked from school by talent scouts i was enrolled into the city's notorious but essential chess camps in the early 1950s. From there i was selected by the prestigious *** , and coached by the irrepressible rascal Bresislan Gorkiananov , who installed in us a free thinking approach to both chess and life , and who was violently opposed to soviet communism, and their philosophy and treatment of chess itself.
During the break up of the *** some time in the late sixties i was implanted with a brain chip , designed to suppress all memory of the *** .
It is only in recent years have i been able to recover and piece together the happenings of that time through the medium of a flashback type phenomenon. Which somehow seems to bypass the function of the implant.
The recap you are reading right is only made possible because of these rare flashbacks !

So without further ado , i welcome you all, *** and non *** fans alike ,... sit back , get yourself a cup of tea,coffee,hot chocolate,or green tea or whatever or predilection and Relax with the Ax , ............as he takes you back , ..........back to the glorious and wondrous days of The Siberian Chess Tigers.....

Masters of the Tundra.
Warriors on the Edge of Time.
Agents of Fortune
Of the Sublime Design. -Siberian Chess Tigers

The beautiful dignified grace of the sublime design:-
The Siberian Tiger

NSJnppzwIIM

What did the *** wear ?

A commonly asked question , i can now answer.
Summer(!?) : Full length black leather coat , crisp collared white shirt , black suede boots , and aviator mirrored sunglasses. ( We thought we looked really cool,....and to be perfectly frank , .....we were !

It was the 50s , and the influence of James Dean on us was apparent.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:a9d9Mr44NCmd9M::http://nevilsbg.com/james_dean_tribute/jd_sunglasses.jpg

Winter : same , except with black woolen jumper , and heavy woolen under garments. ( Which reminds me, whenever i suffered a chess form slump, ol' Gorky would say " Don't worry as long as you don't get snow get down the back of your pants" , which always seemed to lift my spirits and get me focused again)
Team captain would have siberian tiger fur trimming on the lapel and cuffs of his coat . All team members had a solid gold pin worn on the shirt or coat , over the heart , of a tiger holding a king in it's mouth.( The *** symbol , the same as the tattoo on the back of the chess piece-moving hand)

But as Gorky used to say "the most important thing you wear is your scoresheet". He said "remember , no matter how cold it is travelling home after a game, if you win with style your scoresheet kept next to your skin will keep you warm "

Training Techiques

For those well read on the *** , you will no doubt recall the use of "Burn Rooms" as a means to program the mind more suitably for the playing of chess .
Well, besides burning the "chessboard" into the neural circuits, what were some of the videos that were shown ?

Music combined with images were skillfully employed so as to engender specific brain wave states ,conducive to either preparing for a chess game or winding down after a game.

I found the "wind down" tapes particularly useful , as i found it difficult to settle the adrenaline levels post battle.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2009, 01:43 AM
During the break up of the *** some time in the late sixties i was implanted with a brain chip , designed to suppress all memory of the *** .

Aaaah, now we know who you are at last.

You are Paul Dosza posting by seance or spirit medium. :lol:

Axiom
13-07-2009, 04:01 AM
"During the break up of the *** some time in the late sixties i was implanted with a brain chip , designed to suppress all memory of the ***" - Axiom

Aaaah, now we know who you are at last....

I'm somewhat sensitive to this fact of the implanted chip (it's cost me many a won game), so would appreciate a little discretion .

Axiom
13-07-2009, 09:31 PM
In visions of acid
We saw through delusion
And brainbox pollution
We knew we were right
The streets were our oyster
We smoked urban poison
And turned all this noise on
We knew how to fight
We dropped out and tuned in
Spoke secret jargon
And we did not bargain
For what we had found
In the days of the underground

We believed in Guevera
We saw that head held up
And our anger welled up
But we kept it cool
No need for machine guns
The system was crumbling
Our leaders were fumbling
While we broke every rule
We saw them on TV
They'd blown their cover
And we tried to smother
Their voices with sound
In the days of the underground

What ever happened
to those chromium heroes?
Are there none of them
still left around
Since the days
of the underground?

Now we can look back
At the heroes we were then
We made quite a stir then
With our sonic attack
Street fighting dancers
Assassins of silence
With make believe violence
On a hundred watt stack
They offered us contracts
We said we don't need 'em
We'll just take our freedom
We will not be bound
In the days of the underground.

And some of us made it
But not smiling Michael
His black motorcycle
Got eaten by rust
And John the Bog dreamt that
He slept at the wheel
When he woke it was real
Too late to have sussed
And Jeff was a poet
Who wrote with a spray can
On walls saying: hey man
I believe that we have drowned
In the days of the underground.

N46YntfUVXc

Axiom
14-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Last Friday i received, a call from foremost *** scholar and researcher Dr. Ludwick Van Roostehausen .

His work is dangerous and secret , but he wants one day for the whole *** story to be told .Most probably after his death .
He refuses to tell me much about the contents of his book , and only catches up with me every so often to see if i've had another flashback !

Anyway a couple of interesting items i picked up from him this time ( i think he had been drinking)

I learned that my esteemed coach Zev Gorkiananov , who knew Ludwick's father , had named me "Axiom" for reasons that i did not know and this has slightly upset me .
I had always understood that , as i've recounted earlier , i was named due to my skill in reducing complexity to simplicity . I even had my own special set of symbols : -
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:Vo3rqxnpMReU2M:http://wbsec.gov.in/image/gp%2520image/axe.JPG http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:p-iBjMvPawqHoM:http://www.bbc.co.uk/merlin/images/s01e00/se01e00_magicsymbol_240x135.jpg http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZSnscEn5XCydjM:http://www.yoginifitness.com/images/omSymbol.jpg

And more to learn here on its symbolism http://www.themasonictrowel.com/Articles/Symbolism/comprehensive_files/short_symbolism/the_symbolism_of_the_axe.htm
But ,
The following conversation was said to be held between Ludwick's father , Arnold and Zev :

Z: "Arnold , what are chess pieces made from ?"
A: "Wood"

Z: "What does an axe chop?"
A: "Aha!"

It is disappointing that Zev , who i always looked up to , could make this type of joke at my expense , but he really was a very funny man , and i have to forgive this . After all it was well known in those days , i attacked like a mad axeman . I think this was the birth of the term "Hack Attack".

Yes , Zev was a very funny man .
A famous story is Zev playing in 200+ player tournament in Krasno in his youth , and making an horrendous blunder , its said he fell for a zwischenzug delayed with a rebounded x ray , involving a double pin discovered .
He arose from his chair , with his eyes wobbling in their sockets , and admonished himself loudly " If my brain were here right now , i would sure as hell give it a piece of my mind ! " . The tournament hall exploded in laughter.

UELleida
16-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Is it possible that Ax of the *** is also part of the Egg Babies?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/47/eggbabiescomethroughand.jpg