PDA

View Full Version : Gormally(GM) punches Aronian(GM) !

Axiom
06-06-2006, 01:28 AM
The party at the turin olympiad saw the english GM Danny Gormally punch Lev Aronian world no.3 !.. apparantly as a consequence of our own arianne caoili choosing to dance with aronian instead of gormally!....news is to appear on the chessbase site shortly . Nigel Short remarks in his Guardian article that gormally "clearly is wrestling with demons of his own"!, i wonder if anyone else can comment on this unusual GM.

Desmond
06-06-2006, 08:58 AM
The party at the turin olympiad saw the english GM Danny Gormally punch Lev Aronian world no.3 !.. apparantly as a consequence of our own arianne caoili choosing to dance with aronian instead of gormally!....news is to appear on the chessbase site shortly . Nigel Short remarks in his Guardian article that gormally "clearly is wrestling with demons of his own"!, i wonder if anyone else can comment on this unusual GM.

ROFL

Clearly she made the correct choice...

bobby1972
06-06-2006, 09:36 AM
is aronian a little man why did he not hit him back ,man self defence he could have done what he liked.or is he chicken ,i mean gormally did not look like much ,maybe he just picks on the weak,i wonder if this humiliation will inspire the weak aronian to become world champ i mean he really is brave on the chessboard.

Dozy
06-06-2006, 09:41 AM
is aronian a little man why did he not hit him back ,man self defence he could have done what he liked.or is he chicken ,i mean gormally did not look like much ,maybe he just picks on the weak,i wonder if this humiliation will inspire the weak aronian to become world champ i mean he really is brave on the chessboard.Careful Bobby, you'll go blind...

Rincewind
06-06-2006, 09:48 AM
is aronian a little man why did he not hit him back ,man self defence he could have done what he liked.or is he chicken ,i mean gormally did not look like much ,maybe he just picks on the weak,i wonder if this humiliation will inspire the weak aronian to become world champ i mean he really is brave on the chessboard.

I hope he didn't hit him back. I mean if the story is true there is obviously something wrong with Gormally and senseless retaliation helps no one. Maybe you should switch to decaf, Bobby.

arosar
06-06-2006, 10:31 AM

While I was following this story, there were some speculation about Aronian's size on chessgames.com. Some say he is no taller than 4'10", which is hard to believe. Is he?

Also, this story isn't going to die anytime soon.

AR

EZBeet
06-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Aronian did the right thing in not striking back , obviously.

It makes him look good and he can act shocked when he hears that his mates caught up with the guy in the carpark ;)

arosar
06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I should add that the BCM has changed their story a little. From "he [DG] was sent home" to "DG decided to go home to England".

http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/news/olympiad2006.html

AR

bobby1972
06-06-2006, 10:49 AM
he he he that was beautiful "decaf","blind",ok so at the end of the day he got away with it because nobody wants to look bad facist actions must be crushed on the spot,this is the 3rd best player in the world having a dance and gets king hit now thats is brutal and no one did nothing .if you retaliate you make it sound like its worse,does not matter how deep people hide it under all the bullshit the man was weak,i know some will say all this nice crap about civilised and the right thing to do but we all know better.yes "the man could be having problems and obviously something wrong with Gormally" (maybe he just had a few drinks and was angry and there is nothing wrong with the man normally)and senseless retaliation helps no one,yes it would have helped aronian hold his head up with pride even if he had gotten killed he he he,maybe firegoat should give aronian a few lessons on how to be brave.i mean that man in canberra never got away with it.

EZBeet
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
lol now he was 'kinghit' what's next?

Basil
06-06-2006, 01:17 PM

I heard he knifed 'im!

four four two
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Here is a word association to think about....Gormally and normally.:D

Basil
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Here is a word association to think about....Gormally and normally.:D

That sounds like Dozy territory, to me. Give him a day.

Desmond
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM

Might have gone for a bishop to the eye myself ... :lol:

Garvinator
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Might have gone for a bishop to the eye myself ... :lol:
come on guys, dont you realise what happened? Arianne organised a professional Italian mafia hit :P

tritty
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Did aronian not even try to have a go?? i mean seriously he CAN'T have any hormones, because as soon as you get hit the only thing you can think about is nailing the guy. I would be very suprised if there wasn't intervention and that Aronian just decided that he should sit down and have a cup of tea.

Kevin Bonham
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
AR says in his blog that he hears from a "very reliable source" that the Armenians "allegedly" retaliated. I guess we can just look forward to the inevitable chessbase in-depth on the matter.

Not impressed with some of the attacks on Aronian's masculinity/courage/strength/hormones (etc) in this thread. Some guys just don't like getting into physical fights and the reason could be as simple as that it is a pointless injury risk. I've been in situations where people have hit me and my thoughts haven't been "how can I thump him back?" but "how do I get out of here quickly without serious injury, set the cops on this thug and vindictively persecute him for the next, oh, 10-15 years?"

Dozy
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
That sounds like Dozy territory, to me. Give him a day.I’m not sure how this bloke pronounces his name. I would have thought it was Gor-mal’-ly

A punchy GM called Gormally,
Was trying to get much too pally,
With a lady IM
Who was not keen on him:
She preferred Lev or even VitalyOf course, Vitaly (Tseshkovsky) wouldn’t have fared any better than Lev. He’s too old for punch ups.

But then, Gormally might rhyme with normally:

A punchy Pom player, Dan Gormally,
Was part of the the England team (formerly);
Now his future’s in doubt
Because of one clout --
He behaved, so it’s said, quite abnormallyScarcely award winning limericks but let's see who can come up with some better ones.

Maybe the BCF will give a prize for the best.

Brian_Jones
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Maybe the BCF will give a prize for the best.

They should - the poems are hilarious! Send them to Kingpin!

Phil Bourke
06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Going with the Gormally/Normally rhyme.

Arianne had declined formally
The dapper Englishman Gormally
Aronian was her choice socially
The GMs were set for a clash
But Gormally went for the bash.

Aronian’s Allies rushed to help their leading light,
Gormally rushed to the first plane away from the fight,
Arianne was left to dance alone the rest of the night,
After much ado, the sum effect of all this stupid fighting,
The next Olympiad has another illegal pairing.

Steve K
06-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Bobby1972, This is not a question about bravery vs. cowardice. It's about a winner and a loser. Aronian did the right thing and proved himself a winner. Besides, Hollywood has shown us for years that the quiet guy who gets punched always ends up with the girl.

antichrist
06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey, our Arianne now has the PR and hype to become another Paris Hilton etc, I would say about $100K for a 60 Minutes interview, release her own fashion range blah blah. Go for it girl.

bobby1972
06-06-2006, 03:52 PM
hey steve how can he end up with the girl if the guy just lost his manhood he he he:hmm:

arosar
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
In yet another milestone achievement for TCG blog, last night, yours truly received an email from Ray Keene's co blogger, James O'keefe to see if I could assist in a story.

A few emails and a chat on MSN later, this is the fruit of that labour.

Go to blog now!!! Denis Jessop is quoted.

AR

EZBeet
06-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Just to keep it in perspective , this from British chess magazine:

"Before leaving, he displayed the first sign of real aggression seen from the English squad since its arrival in Turin. Sadly it was not at the chessboard, but at the Bermuda party on the night before the second rest day.....
....Gormally landed a punch on the world number three. Thankfully the blow did not do any real damage but the Armenian delegation was understandably incensed that their top board should be treated in this way. To keep the peace, the English delegation decided that Gormally would have to be sent back home immediately."

Phil Bourke
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
In yet another milestone achievement for TCG blog, last night, yours truly received an email from Ray Keene's co blogger, James O'keefe to see if I could assist in a story.

AR
Typical Keene, I didn't notice your name anywhere :)

arosar
06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
NO, of course not. They just ask me for people's emails and contacts. I only had Arianne's. Then I found Gormally's email address in, where else, but Arianne's website!! (where there is a picture of both them).

I emailed Gormally, but as you can see, he ain't interested.

AR

Dozy
06-06-2006, 04:20 PM

ARThanks Amiel. Interesting article. Especially this bit:

Denis Jessop, president of the Australian Chess Federation, said that he may launch his own inquiry. “I have heard that an incident took place and that Aronian was thumped and that it was over Arianne.

“I am not surprised at anything that chess players do. It is not the first time that there’s been an argument at a chess tournament and people have hit each other,” he said.

What the hell got into Jessop? This guy is supposed to be president of the ACF. There are some things you say to journalists and some things you don't - and this was a big no-no.

Even if he was half asleep when they rang surely he could have done better than that.

We may have to change the spelling of your name, Mr Jessop. S-t-u-p-i-d would be more appropriate.

bobby1972
06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
maybe aronian better get a hormone replacement treatment i mean some patches or something

Basil
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Dozy & Phil - Good work!

To self : Now if they could just turn their talents for good and not evil ...

Rincewind
06-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Not impressed with some of the attacks on Aronian's masculinity/courage/strength/hormones (etc) in this thread. Some guys just don't like getting into physical fights and the reason could be as simple as that it is a pointless injury risk.

Bobby1972, This is not a question about bravery vs. cowardice. It's about a winner and a loser. Aronian did the right thing and proved himself a winner.

:clap:

I think the first rule of practical self-defense is to limit injury to yourself. Wanting to go on with it is what leads to more problems and people making such remarks just havent thought about the consequences very deeply.

Watto
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Besides, Hollywood has shown us for years that the quiet guy who gets punched always ends up with the girl.
hehe. good one. If he's Clark Kent maybe. ;)

Watto
06-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I've been in situations where people have hit me and my thoughts haven't been "how can I thump him back?" but "how do I get out of here quickly without serious injury, set the cops on this thug and vindictively persecute him for the next, oh, 10-15 years?"
Now that's what I call a dangerous psychopath... :uhoh: ;)

four four two
06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
At this point we should consider the lyrics of Kenny Rogers...Coward of the county....;) :lol: :whistle:

Everyone considered him
The coward of the county
He'd never stood one single time
To prove the county wrong
His mama named him Tommy
But folks just called him yellow
Something always told me
They were reading Tommy wrong

He was only ten years old
When his daddy died in prison
I looked after Tommy
'Cause he was my brother's son
I still recall the final words
My brother said to Tommy
Son my life is over
But yours has just begun

Promise me, son
Not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble if you can
Now it don't mean you're weak
If you turn the other cheek
And I hope you're old enough to understand
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man

There's someone for everyone
And Tommy's love was Becky
In her arms he didn't have
To prove he was a man
One day while he was working
The Gatlin boys came calling
They took turns at Becky
N'there was three of them
Tommy opened up the door
And saw Becky crying
The torn dress, the shattered look
Was more than he could stand
He reached above the fireplace
Took down his daddy's picture
As his tears fell on his daddy's face
I heard these words again

Promise me, son
Not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble if you can
Now it don't mean you're weak
If you turn the other cheek
And I hope you're old enough to understand
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man

The Gatlin boys just laughed at him
When he walked into the barroom
One of them got up
And met him half way cross the floor
Tommy turned around they said
Hey look, old yeller's leavin'
You could've heard a pin drop
When Tommy stopped and locked the door

Twenty years of crawling
Was bottled up inside him
He wasn't holding nothing back
He let 'em have it all
Tommy left the bar room
Not a Gatlin boy was standing
He said, This one's for Becky
As he watched the last one fall
N' I heard him say

I promised you, Dad
Not to do the things you've done
I walk away from trouble when I can
Now please don't think I'm weak
I didn't turn the other cheek
Papa, I should hope you understand
Sometimes you gotta fight
When you're a man

Everyone considered him
The coward of the county

arosar
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
There is another piece by the times today, actually.

AR

qpawn
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Kevin is quite correct. It is not appropriate to criticise someone for not wanting to stand up for themselves etc. Look at that fight last week in Melbourne. A guy got into a fight outside a pub and "bang" he struck the concrete and got killed. Or we could add David Hookes to that list too. In both cases absolute wastes of human life.

When you are in a stoush it isn't a schoolyard fisticuffs thing: it is bloody serious. It doesn't matter a lot if you know every form of martial arts better than Bruce Lee; just one lucky punch or prick with a syringe and it's good night nurse.

I;ve never been in a fight but I have been spat at by idiots at train stations. I just walk the other way. It takes two people to fight and I want none of it. If it came to it and I couldn't get away I would make the other person totally sorry. But that would occur as a last resort.

EZBeet
06-06-2006, 07:12 PM
come on guys, stop bashing aronian.

the smart guy always takes the non violent course of action.

Steve K
06-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks Amiel. Interesting article. Especially this bit:
What the hell got into Jessop? This guy is supposed to be president of the ACF. There are some things you say to journalists

..and there are things that you don't say to journalists that end up as quotes in the story anyway. I'm sure Dennis will post his account and until then I'll keep an open mind.

Even so, if the journo's record of the interview is accurate I'd back Dennis on this one anyway. Seems reasonable to me.

ElevatorEscapee
06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
My first reaction to the story was: gormless behaviour... utterly gormless!

Axiom
06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
My first reaction to the story was: gormless behaviour... utterly gormless!
sadly it appears, not gorm-less enough

Steve K
06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
hey steve how can he end up with the girl if the guy just lost his manhood he he he:hmm:

You must be joking bobby1972

Denis_Jessop
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM

AR

And in the tradition of some journalism, the quote is not quite accurate. I said that I was aware of an incident having happened but knew insufficient details to make a statement. I said that the team captain had not reported it but if he did the ACF would look into it.

I have no intention of launching my own inquiry (ie an ACF inquiry) unless the ACF receives an adverse report.

It seems from the BCM article in particular that GM Gormally was the main actor.

I've also just had a call from the Daily Mail and an e-mail from a UK news agency. I told the Daily Mail essentially what I said above "correcting" the Times guy who rang (and who wasn't Ray Keene!). I also referred her to the BCM article which seems to me to be fuller than the rest. I stressed that i could not make any statement as I have no fact, only circumstantial evidence and that i wouldn't expect the ACF to conduct any enquiry unless it received an adverse report from the Team Captain.

DJ

PS My remark about chess players hitting each other was not a cheap international shot at FG7 but rather a genuine one at Reshevsky who thumped another GM at an Amsterdam tourney years ago (quite apart from the Hamilton incident) and not even made wholly seriously as I made clear, even though it's true.

D

ElevatorEscapee
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
In other news, in a conversation I didn't have with him, Dennis Jessop also didn't rule out an investigation into the previous post. :eh:

antichrist
06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
And in the tradition of some journalism, the quote is not quite accurate. I said that I was aware of an incident having happened but knew insufficient details to make a statement. I said that the team captain had not reported it but if he did the ACF would look into it.

I have no intention of launching my own inquiry (ie an ACF inquiry) unless the ACF receives an adverse report....
D

We know from the St GEorge episode that the ACF does not rush into action (unless against Matt) when even in it's own backyard.

ElevatorEscapee
06-06-2006, 10:54 PM
We know from the St GEorge episode that the ACF does not rush into action (unless against Matt) when even in it's own backyard.

Antichrist, are you suggesting that the ACF's actions may be different if Aronian had been dancing with Matthew Sweeney? :eh:

Dozy
07-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Antichrist, are you suggesting that the ACF's actions may be different if Aronian had been dancing with Matthew Sweeney? :eh:

ROTFL :owned: (I gotta confess, EE, I've missed the big bugger...)

The problem of pronouncing Gormally's name has now been resolved. The Times (quoted on WCN) carried this elucidating comment:

It is not clear if Gormally normally would be reprimanded formally

And, on line, the Times had this picture of Arianne. It almost makes me wish I could remember why it'd be good to be young again!

arosar
07-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Dozy -

The Times got that from her website.

And I have updated blog to reflect Jessop's remarks. Arianne has also been found. She is in Lodi with Wohl.

AR

four four two
07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Arianne has also been found. She is in Lodi with Wohl.

AR

Didnt know she was "missing"....:lol:

Can just imagine some hack english journalist chasing her through the streets of Lodi shouting..."Arianne,Arianne...Do you prefer lovers or fighters?":D

arosar
07-06-2006, 11:03 AM
A Sydney paper has now contacted me and they will do a story.

DJ, I'm going to have to refer official requests for comment to the ACF. Will that be you or your PR officer?

Please PM contact details. Else I can forward email to you from journo.

AR

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Now that's what I call a dangerous psychopath... :uhoh: ;)

I was overstating it ... but not by all that much. ;)

Thankfully I haven't been involved in any violence for quite a while now. About ten years ago I had a stalker who used to attack me whenever he saw me, unless I wasn't alone. In that case the police could do nothing so I slapped a restraining order on him. I filled the restraining order application with numerous insulting speculations about his motives and problems in the knowledge that he would have to read it and sign that he had done so in the presence of a police officer. :P That was just about enough revenge for that one.

hey steve how can he end up with the girl if the guy just lost his manhood he he he

Macho men generally only think women find violence attractive and manly. Most actually find it a significant turn-off.

The blog is going great guns lately but Raymond Keene is a fact-averse sensationalist. Terrible attention to basic factual detail in his story on the incident - Caoili a "grandmaster" and known as the Kournikova of chess (I always thought that was Kosteniuk and have never seen Arianne referred to in this manner.) Makes me wonder if any of the rest of Keene's reporting of the incident can be trusted.

arosar
07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
The blog is going great guns lately but Raymond Keene is a fact-averse sensationalist. Terrible attention to basic factual detail in his story on the incident - Caoili a "grandmaster" and known as the Kournikova of chess (I always thought that was Kosteniuk and have never seen Arianne referred to in this manner.) Makes me wonder if any of the rest of Keene's reporting of the incident can be trusted.

:lol:

I know. Your comments reflect most of the current chatter on the net.

And let me say thanks to those who keep on reading the blog. But one request, as we try to keep it fairly approachable and friendly, it's preferred that comments are kept above board. I've had to censor a lot of comments regarding Nick Speck.

If you have any news tips, no matter how seemingly boring, please give me a shout.

AR

arosar
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
OK, the SMH has done their write-up with a picture by yours truly.

AR

Denis_Jessop
07-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I was overstating it ... but not by all that much. ;)

<snip>

I think that "the Kournikova of chess" is actually a sort of insult as AK was attractive but never won a major event. But then, as appears below, who, of their general readership, would know who Kosteniuk is.

On the same tack, it's interesting to be contacted by English journalists. They all wanted to know how to contact Arianne so I said "I don't know (true) but she lives in Queensland". (Unlike first-class Arianneists, I didn't know of her website.) The guy from the "Times" didn't know what Queensland was - he thought it was a city. The woman from the "Daily Mail" spoke as if she expected that I didn't know what the "Daily Mail" or the "Times" were. Also I had to refer them to the BCM account of the matter so they probably weren't too chess savvy. At least they now know that we play chess in Australia even if that wasn't the main focus of the articles.

DJ

[Edit] PS Having just read AR's informative collection on the Closet GM, it seems that"The AK of chess" is the current rage for a description of AC.

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I think that "the Kournikova of chess" is actually a sort of insult as AK was attractive but never won a major event.

Insult! You're kidding, right? Kournikova was consistently in the top 10 in the World in singles, won 2 Grand Slams in doubles and was doubles number 1 ranked player (with Martina Hingis) for most of her career. She was one of the world's highest-paid sportspeople in endorsements and the highest paid in tennis by a country mile.

I am not saying the comparison was accurate but if anything, it was flattering.

On the same tack, it's interesting to be contacted by English journalists. They all wanted to know how to contact Arianne so I said "I don't know (true) but she lives in Queensland". (Unlike first-class Arianneists, I didn't know of her website.)
DJ

I would hope that as ACF Prsident, you took the trouble to find Arianne's contact details when contacted by foreign journalists rather than just replying that you don't know.

arosar
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Daily Tele now has a news item too - but short.

AR

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I would hope that as ACF Prsident, you took the trouble to find Arianne's contact details when contacted by foreign journalists rather than just replying that you don't know.

I don't see why that should be any part of Denis' responsibilities. What we have here is the chess media getting into a story about something that happened off the chessboard at a social function. Unless there is some kind of official action over the matter I don't see how it's any of the ACF's business. I'm sure Arianne is quite capable of contacting the relevant media herself should she wish to do so.

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't like the photo they used in the SMH. There are so many better ones to choose from.

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't see why that should be any part of Denis' responsibilities. What we have here is the chess media getting into a story about something that happened off the chessboard at a social function. Unless there is some kind of official action over the matter I don't see how it's any of the ACF's business. I'm sure Arianne is quite capable of contacting the relevant media herself should she wish to do so.

It isn't Denis' responsibility, but I would have thought that he'd want to promote chess as much as possible in the media. This might not be the way we want chess portrayed but any publicity is good publicity, as they say. It would have taken Denis a phone call or two to find the contact details. But by saying he didn't know, it not only makes the ACF look silly for not knowing how to contact one of its highest profile members, it also risks the story not being written (though knowing journos, he would have ferreted it out anyway).

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
The phrase- the Anna Kournikova of (insert sport of choice here)- is very much an insult and it comes from the WTA.

Kevin is right that the chess equivalent, as portrayed by the media, is Alexandra Kosteniuk.

Female tennis players were constantly being referred to as the next AK. They would all snap back that AK never won a WTA singles title and couldnt serve, something that they didnt want to be associated with and known for.

Perhaps there was also some jealousy or envy that a very average tennis player was getting so much media attention for her looks and not for her tennis game. Have a look at AK's media profile now that she doesnt play tennis on the main tour.

She was just a good looking girl who played tennis once in a while. Now that she is competing against other good looking girls in the open modelling world for media attention, she is getting very little.

arosar
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't like the photo they used in the SMH. There are so many better ones to choose from.

I suspect that they selected the photo for its suitability for that space.

AR

arosar
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Guys,

When you submit a comment on the blog, I have to approve it. It seems some people are resubmitting the same comment over and over again.

Just be patient while I go through them.

And no, I wasn't paid for the photo.

Thanks,

AR

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
The phrase- the Anna Kournikova of (insert sport of choice here)- is very much an insult and it comes from the WTA.

Kevin is right that the chess equivalent, as portrayed by the media, is Alexandra Kosteniuk.

Female tennis players were constantly being referred to as the next AK. They would all snap back that AK never won a WTA singles title and couldnt serve, something that they didnt want to be associated with and known for.

Perhaps there was also some jealousy or envy that a very average tennis player was getting so much media attention for her looks and not for her tennis game. Have a look at AK's media profile now that she doesnt play tennis on the main tour.

She was just a good looking girl who played tennis once in a while. Now that she is competing against other good looking girls in the open modelling world for media attention, she is getting very little.

I would say that the term 'the Kournikova of...' refers to a sportsperson whose sporting performance has been overshadowed by their high profile off the court.

Whether it is an insult, depends on whom you are referring to.

Someone who is one of the best in the world in their sport might be insulted by the comparison because they want to be known only for their sporting achievements. However, I do not believe it is an insult when applied to Arianne. Firstly, she never achieved even close to the same chess recults to those achieved by AK in tennis. Secondly, I think the reporter was implying that Arianne is attractive, glamorous, larger than life, etc and there is nothing wrong with that.

four four two
07-06-2006, 02:16 PM
The phrase- the Anna Kournikova of (insert sport of choice here)- is very much an insult and it comes from the WTA

The WTA never used "the Kournikova of " phrase...lazy journalists however did.
Kournikova wasnt an average tennis player,she was once ranked in the top 5 in the world and did make the quarters/semi's of a number of grand slams.
Which is something most professional players ranked inside the top 100 never have or will do. She was also a full time professional tennis player for over 5 years. Even though she is retired from professional tournament play she still gets a fair amount of media attention,not as much as before but still alot more than the current female tennis players ranked 40-100 in the world.

And for the record,Kostenuik is definitely the Kournikova of chess...she is the most gratuitious in promoting herself via her looks while still being a top ten player.

arosar
07-06-2006, 02:24 PM
www.ariannecaoili.com

AR

Dozy
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't like the photo they used in the SMH. There are so many better ones to choose from.Funny how we perceive things differently.

Perhaps there are better pix than that one but I had actually planned to compliment Amiel on the quality of his pix generally. He's filling what would be an enormous gulf without his camera and his time.

And here's another angle -- Amiel's blog has done more to publicise chess in Oz than any other single source I can think of. I even saw a reference to the Closet Grandmaster on World Chess Network this morning (via Goran Urosevic, Amiel) quoted as an information source for the punch-up story.

Amiel has copped some criticism from time to time, sometimes fair, sometimes not, but the fact has emerged that the Closet Grandmaster's Blog has become a doorway to chess in Australia.

Well done, mate. :clap: :clap: :clap:

arosar
07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I even saw a reference to the Closet Grandmaster on World Chess Network this morning (via Goran Urosevic, Amiel) quoted as an information source for the punch-up story.

Yes, I saw that. I get by-the-second traffic report on my blog. I can see a reader all the way from Mongolia, of all places.

Goran was been one of my "fans" since I began. I think he was the first to feature me in a mainstream publication (Chess Chronicle).

AR

EZBeet
07-06-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but since when was Arianne (2166) rated number 3 in Australia?

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Funny how we perceive things differently.

Perhaps there are better pix than that one but I had actually planned to compliment Amiel on the quality of his pix generally. He's filling what would be an enormous gulf without his camera and his time.

And here's another angle -- Amiel's blog has done more to publicise chess in Oz than any other single source I can think of. I even saw a reference to the Closet Grandmaster on World Chess Network this morning (via Goran Urosevic, Amiel) quoted as an information source for the punch-up story.

Amiel has copped some criticism from time to time, sometimes fair, sometimes not, but the fact has emerged that the Closet Grandmaster's Blog has become a doorway to chess in Australia.

Well done, mate. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Completely agree, I wasn't criticising Amiel's pics, I think they are fantastic. I was talking about the specific one on the SMH - you can't realy see Arianne's face, I just think some of the other pics from Queenstown are better..

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
www.ariannecaoili.com

AR

Mwahahaha this is really funny, who made this site, AR?

Denis_Jessop
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM

Not only that but I was being cautious as I was not sure whether the giving out of Arianne's contact details, had I had them, would have been appreciated by her. The release of such information is resented by many people and there are privacy issues involved.

DJ

arosar
07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Mwahahaha this is really funny, who made this site, AR?

I think Colm Daly.

AR

arosar
07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
The SMH must have heard your complaints WE as they have since replaced my pic with one of Arianne's own glamour shots.

AR

four four two
07-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Well with the beat up this story has gotten from the press the womens team should be able to at least get a sponsor for the next olympiad.
If they cant with this amount of exposure then there is no hope.:D :whistle:

arosar
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
SMH has now edited their story to include quotes from Arianne's mom and Graeme Gardiner.

AR

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Well with the beat up this story has gotten from the press the womens team should be able to at least get a sponsor for the next olympiad.
If they cant with this amount of exposure then there is no hope.:D :whistle:
will it be Ansell again ;)

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 04:36 PM
It just continues, now from www.ninemsn.com.au

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=105465

Chess queen triggers dance floor scandal.

At least the article refers to chess as a sport. That is good, finally :clap: :clap:

Now if only the Federal Government would agree ;) :P

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
The question I am most wanted answered is how often in the following days will Arianne be asked for her side of the story by all and sundry ;)

When she does come back into Australia, will there be a throng of media with cheques for tv interviews on A current affair, today tonight and interview for women's day :eek: ;)

four four two
07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
When she does come back into Australia, will there be a throng of media with cheques for tv interviews on A current affair, today tonight and interview for women's day :eek: ;)

Hell no,unless more well known GM's start punch ups over her.:lol:
By the time Arianne gets back to Australia the only people who will remember this story will be the chess community.
Remember the old adage,todays paper is tommorrows fish and chip wrapper.

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Hell no,unless more well known GM's start punch ups over her.:lol:
By the time Arianne gets back to Australia the only people who will remember this story will be the chess community.
Remember the old adage,todays paper is tommorrows fish and chip wrapper.
except that Ngan's shirt incident keeps getting dragged back up ;) :doh:

I think a better title for your comment would be- which will get bigger, the mountain or ... you get the picture ;)

pax
07-06-2006, 05:02 PM
SMH has now edited their story to include quotes from Arianne's mom and Graeme Gardiner.

AR

Her mum is remarkably forthcoming. This is the interesting bit:

"She said Aronian was a 'lovely gentleman' and he and her daughter were an 'item' at the moment."

tritty
07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Don't you think this could be used to promote chess. OK, its an ugly incident unfortunately happened, however Dean Brogan (Port Power footy player) hit a Adelaide Crows fan in the Adelaide Airport last weekend, and has been given huge publicity. Perhaps there is an opening to put some spin on the incident, the fact that chess players go to night clubs and can actually have fun etc. That we're not just a "bunch nerds" (quote from a guy doing my uni course)

This has been put up on the ninemsn website which is trafficked by many, Dennis or somebody from the ACF should approach some media agencies to discuss Australian chess.

Dozy
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Don't you think this could be used to promote chess. OK, its an ugly incident unfortunately happened, however Dean Brogan (Port Power footy player) hit a Adelaide Crows fan in the Adelaide Airport last weekend, and has been given huge publicity. Perhaps there is an opening to put some spin on the incident, the fact that chess players go to night clubs and can actually have fun etc. That we're not just a "bunch nerds" (quote from a guy doing my uni course)

This has been put up on the ninemsn website which is trafficked by many, Dennis or somebody from the ACF should approach some media agencies to discuss Australian chess.Ugly? Maybe. Funny? Definitely. Sensational? In the true sense of the word, yes, it has certainly created a sensation.

And I'm 100% with you tritty. Australian chess can get mileage out of this.

We don't have to do anything now, it's already been done; but suppose, in the future, a simul or two could be staged by "Arianne of Torino" . . . they'd have to generate a bit more publicity for chess, especially if they preceded a tournament in which she was to play.

Of course, that'd be up to Arianne.

Would she feel exploited? Maybe, but if as one article suggests, she wants to be a professional singer perhaps she'd welcome more publicity.

Remember, she is perceived to be an innocent bystander in this (as is Levonian). According to Mum, "She just likes to salsa!"

arosar
07-06-2006, 06:22 PM
"She said Aronian was a 'lovely gentleman' and he and her daughter were an 'item' at the moment."

It is a misquote.

I'm just now waiting for the other Brissy papers to come out with their own take. The Aussie is writing their own.

AR

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 06:54 PM
AR, if you don't mind me asking, what is your usual day job? I would imagine it would be PR or media related because you seem to be a natural at this journo biz, mate.

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 06:59 PM
It is a misquote.

I'm just now waiting for the other Brissy papers to come out with their own take. The Aussie is writing their own.

AR
Courier Mail : http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,19393655-5003402,00.html

Night moves on chess queen

From correspondents in London

June 07, 2006

This article from : AAP

AN attractive young Australian chess queen is at the centre of a scandal in the normally sedate sport, apparently provoking a jealous clash between two grandmasters on an Italian dance floor.

Nineteen-year-old Arianne Caoili was jiving with Armenian chess star Levon Aronian in a Turin nightclub when an English rival, Danny Gormally, performed an unorthodox and aggressive opening gambit.

Teammates at the World Chess Olympiad say Gormally moved in and sent the 23-year-old Armenian, a World Cup winner, sprawling across the floor of the Hiroshima Mon Amour nightclub.

It is not known what happened to Caoili, Australia's number three, who is also ranked number seven on the World Chess Beauty Contest website, to which players apply to join.

But now Gormally, 30, who is said to have been in email contact with Caoili before the Olympiad, may face action from the game's ruling body.

"The bottom line is this is just a little incident in a nightclub where unfortunately Danny probably had a drink too many and obviously saw someone dancing with a girl he liked and either hit or tried to hit them," England team captain Allan Beardsworth said.

"The guy he tried to hit was the world number three."

Gormally, ranked six in Britain, was "gutted" when he awoke the following morning to realise what he had done, and left the event early, Beardsworth said.

"Danny is a nice, normal guy. When he woke up and realised he'd done something really stupid, he knew he had to leave."

While apologies were offered to the Armenians the next day, teammates of Aronian spotted Gormally and "unfortunately gave him a punch or two", Beardsworth said.

Armenia also won the Olympiad, while the English came 19th.

Caoili has not commented since the events at the Olympiad's "Bermuda" party.

But the young Australian of Filipino descent appears intent on enjoying life.

An aspiring professional singer, Caoili lists among "likes" on her website "getting up to no good", "fine food (and fine boys)", "Johnny Depp", "vodka, red wine, Kahlua, dwarfs and the odd Cuban cigar".

While nominating Latin dancing and ice-skating, Caoili also lists literature, languages, psychology, politics, history, philosophy and revolutionary thought among her interests.

Her ambitions include studying law and political science, and completing a jazz and blues album.

Carl Gorka
07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Aronian can't be up to much if Gormally can take him out:lol:

Garvinator
07-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Aronian can't be up to much if Gormally can take him out:lol:
I think the truth of all this is that Gormally smacked him one while drunk, Aronian looked at him trying to work out what was going on and then the rest of the ppl separated the two and got Gormally out of there.

Carl Gorka
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I think the truth of all this is that Gormally smacked him one while drunk, Aronian looked at him trying to work out what was going on and then the rest of the ppl separated the two and got Gormally out of there.

I would be very surprised if Gormally could beat up anyone....except perhaps John Speelman, although Speelman wouldn't fight back:rolleyes:

arosar
07-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks gray...

That appears to be just a syndicated article - same as the one on msn, it looks to me.

AR

EZBeet
07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
yes, thanks gg i have to use my pda and can't vead the 9msn site.

this is becoming hilarlous congrats to whoever put up those pages. proves the papers will print anything.

WhiteElephant
07-06-2006, 07:28 PM
. proves the papers will print anything.

It's funny, no coverage of FIDE World Championship, MTel Masters, Olympiad results but a sleazy story about a punch up...here we go

arosar
07-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi guys...I've posted a howler tracker. I need your help. Post comment or email and I will add to that list of FAQ.

Thanks,

AR

Ian Rout
07-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi guys...I've posted a howler tracker. I need your help. Post comment or email and I will add to that list of FAQ.

Thanks,

AR
You could mention that Arianne is Board 3 on the women's team, which is probably where the bit about about being number 3 in Australia came from.

Incidentally the story is currently the most viewed item on www.smh.com.au (and has a large picture intro on the front page) and number five on most e-mailed, in case anyone feels motivated to go in and give it a few more clicks.

Desmond
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM

I think their response would be: "A chess ol-ym-pee-what??"

Axiom
07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
although many will think this bad publicity for chess, i think it makes a good marketing trojan horse, it shows real blooded chess players exhibiting base instincts,bringing colour and life to a staid image.......this is getting back to the chess pr thread, but i think the chess marketers angle should be of chess as a fight, employing boxing style promotions...." the most violent you can be ,without spilling blood :- in the black corner is joe "death pin" morgan and in the whhhhiiiiiite corner , the castrator- max "mind your king" wilkinson..or something like that

Basil
07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
And of course, everyone's favourite fall-guy, Howard 'Dope-head' Duggan

Axiom
08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
And of course, everyone's favourite fall-guy, Howard 'Dope-head' Duggan
or howard "the mugger" duggan

Basil
08-06-2006, 12:07 AM
or howard "the mugger" duggan

Now you're confusing real life with the BB:eh:

pballard
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Another howler: now Gormally is the world number 4: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19396909-2,00.html

tritty
08-06-2006, 10:18 AM
"Pawn star ... Australian chess champion Arianne Caoili."

Another one... that article has to be one of the worst researched articles in history.

"England's world No.4 Danny Gormally"

"Caoili was romantically involved with Aronian." cant guarantee this is incorrect but it sounds pretty sus, considering that i heard she has a bf at home

Southpaw Jim
08-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Well in today's copy of our local rag (The Mercury, Hobart), it makes the banner on the front page ("Pawn Queen's Love Battle"), and p.2: "Pawn Star's Love Triangle". How they can publish this defamatory rubbish is unfknblvble.

The article essentially implies that she was involved with Gormally beforehand, makes some derogatory references to her liking fighting (as in the fight OTB) and arguing, and the stuff from her website, and the bit about the World Chess beauty contest.

The article also refers to Aronian as "Armenia's David Beckham" :eek: :lol:

Then finishes up with a snide remark about how the women's team 'only' finished 54th.

pballard
08-06-2006, 11:26 AM
"Australian chess champion Arianne Caoili."

To be fair, that could be read to mean that she's a champion player (which arguably she is, at least among Australian women), rather than meaning that she held the Australian title. Much like "football champion X".

Davidflude
08-06-2006, 11:50 AM
The following report is from "The Times" London

The Times June 06, 2006

How dare you take my queen?
By Rajeev Syal and Raymond Keene
Battle of the chess grandmasters as leading England player 'attacks' rival over dancefloor move

Arianna Caoili, Australia No 3 - described as the Anna Kournikova of chess

FOR one British grandmaster, his rival had made a move too far. Danny Gormally, one of Britain’s leading chess players, allegedly attacked the world No 3 at an international tournament for dancing with a beautiful Australian player.

Levon Aronian, leading light of the Armenian chess scene, was apparently punched and shoved, and ended up on the floor during a party at the recent Chess Olympiad in Turin.

He had been spotted jiving with Arianne Caoili, 19, an Australian grandmaster known as the Anna Kournikova of the chess world. Mr Gormally was known by team-mates to be fond of her.

But the next day, after the England captain apologised to the Armenian team, the repercussions continued. When Mr Gormally went out for a coffee with friends, he was attacked by a group of young Armenian players seemingly bent on revenge for their star player.

The unseemly events are expected to lead to an urgent inquiry by the English Chess Federation into Mr Gormally’s behaviour. He was advised to leave the tournament early to avoid further confrontation.

Allan Beardsworth, the England captain, said that drink appeared to play a part. “Danny seems to have punched Aronian for innocently dancing with a girl that he liked. The following day, there was a retaliatory incident. It is a shame, and something that we will have to look into properly,” he said.

The Olympiad is held every two years between 150 international teams and brings together the world’s best players. While the tournament went badly for Mr Gormally and the England team, the Armenians eventually won.

The party was held four days ago at a nightclub called “Hiroshima Mon Amour”. Mr Gormally, 30, from Durham, spotted Ms Caoili, with whom he had struck up an e-mail relationship, according to colleagues. They are also known to have met in London.

Ms Caoili, a child prodigy of Filipino descent who has ambitions of becoming a professional singer, was dancing “energetically” with Mr Aronian. She is ranked No 3 in Australia. Mr Aronian, 23, often referred to as a future world champion, is adored in his country where chess is the national sport.

For Mr Gormally, the sight of the pair dancing was apparently too much — but his actions were unjustified, according to Mr Beardsworth. “I have spoken to several people who were there, and there is no doubt that Danny was in the wrong. Aronian is a lovely guy and at the very peak of his national sport. I have been told that he is treated like David Beckham at home,” he said.

The England team’s management was informed of the incident and held an impromptu meeting. By 11am the next day, it had apologised to the Armenian team leader, who also happens to be the country’s defence minister. There is no suggestion of any criminal inquiry.

Mr Gormally was informed, and hoped that the incident was over. However, when he went out with friends for a coffee, he was spotted by young chess players from Armenia. “They set upon Danny — he was hit several times. Luckily, one of the team-mates with Danny could speak Russian and managed to calm them down,” Mr Beardsworth said.

Denis Jessop, president of the Australian Chess Federation, said that he may launch his own inquiry. “I have heard that an incident took place and that Aronian was thumped and that it was over Arianne.

“I am not surprised at anything that chess players do. It is not the first time that there’s been an argument at a chess tournament and people have hit each other,” he said.

Mr Gormally, 30, a professional player, declined to comment from his home, where he lives with his parents. On asked why he had been sent home, he replied: “It’s personal. It’s nothing to do with you.”

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2006, 11:52 AM
[previous material snipped]

Arianne's public statement makes it clear that she is saddened by what happened rather than enjoying all this nonsense. She states that she was dancing with a longtime friend in a non-provocative manner and that Gormally's attack was caused by a combination of alcohol and incompatible medication. This suggests that Gormally simply couldn't comprehend that there was nothing significant going on.

I've moved the Zukovsky post and all the replies to it offline for now. Also see moderation decisions thread for guidelines on what I will and won't permit on this thread from now on.

Brian_Jones
08-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I've moved the Zukovsky post and all the replies to it offline for now. Also see moderation decisions thread for guidelines on what I will and won't permit on this thread from now on.

We await a report from the team captains as to the conduct of the Australian players in Turin.

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2006, 12:09 PM
The Mercury's story, as noted by Eurotrash, is very shabby. It's amusing how what Arianne's mother is alleged to have said continues to morph with each retelling. The Mock's version is:

"All I know is that they like each other and they'll see each other in Germany and if it develops ...I don't know".

I also dislike the Mock's use of "She sparked", which insinuates that she deliberately caused it.

The article isn't online yet but it also includes a claim that she is "tipped to become Australia's first female International Grandmaster". By who? I would say Arianne's chances of getting a WGM title someday are very good indeed but a full GM? Not so sure about that.

I do remember that in cases past the point has been made that the chess community shouldn't get too uptight about factual errors in chess reporting (eg inaccurate comments about championship titles) since doing so only makes it harder for chess to get good publicity. However this is not a case of well-intentioned media simply not knowing the facts; it is a case of the media playing "look at the freaks" without adequate fact-checking.

four four two
08-06-2006, 12:30 PM
We await a report from the team captains as to the conduct of the Australian players in Turin.

Why should there be a report?:hmm:
Arianne isnt the problem here...Gormally is.:hand:

Desmond
08-06-2006, 12:32 PM
To be fair, that could be read to mean that she's a champion player (which arguably she is, at least among Australian women), rather than meaning that she held the Australian title. Much like "football champion X".

Hmm fair enough. Just don't try to call her a master ;)

Garvinator
08-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Courier Mail, page 3 no less :eek:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,19400841-5003400,00.html

Pawns in the game of love

Jennifer Sym and Ayshea Buksh

June 08, 2006

ONE of Australia's best female chess players is at the centre of a scandal in the normally sedate sport, apparently provoking a jealous clash between two grand masters on an Italian dance floor.

Arianne Caoili, 19, was jiving with Armenian chess star Levon Aronian in a Turin nightclub when an English rival, Danny Gormally, performed an unorthodox and aggressive opening gambit.

Teammates at the World Chess Olympiad say Gormally moved in and sent the 23-year-old Armenian, a World Cup winner, sprawling across the floor of the nightclub.

It's not known what happened to Caoili, Australia's No. 3, who is also ranked No. 7 on the World Chess Beauty Contest website, to which players apply to join.

But now Gormally, 30, who is said to have been in email contact with Caoili before the Olympiad, may face action from the game's ruling body.

"The bottom line is this is just a little incident in a nightclub where unfortunately Danny probably had a drink too many and obviously saw someone dancing with a girl he liked and either hit or tried to hit them," said England team captain Allan Beardsworth.

"The guy he tried to hit was the world number three."

Gormally, ranked six in Britain, was "gutted" when he awoke the following morning to realise what he had done, and left the event early.

"I found the head of the delegation and the translator and had a good chat. He was fine with it, he rang Aronian and he was glad I had been in touch," Beardsworth said

"We apologised then and the next day when I saw Levon we shook hands and he was great. He realised it was just a drinking incident."

However, while the apologies were being accepted, Aronian's teammates spotted Danny and "unfortunately gave him a punch or two", said Beardsworth.

But, he added: "Once they knew I had already apologised they came to find me to apologise back to me. It was all very friendly."

"Danny is a nice, normal guy. When he woke up and realised he'd done something really stupid, he knew he had to leave."

Armenia won the Olympiad, while the English came 19th.

Caoili has not commented since the events at the Olympiad's "Bermuda" party.

But the young Australian of Filipino descent appears intent on enjoying life.

An aspiring professional singer, Caoili lists among "likes" on her website "getting up to no good", fine food (and fine boys), Johnny Depp, vodka, red wine, Kahlua, dwarfs and the odd Cuban cigar.

While nominating Latin dancing and ice-skating, Caoili also lists literature, languages, psychology, politics, history, philosophy and revolutionary thought among her interests.

Her ambitions include studying law and political science, and completing a jazz and blues album.

Denis Jessop, president of the Australian Chess Federation, said: "If the Australian Chess Federation were to receive an adverse report about the incident, the ACF Council would consider it but I do not see it likely that any action would be taken in the absence of such a report."

A spokesperson for the World Chess Federation (FIDE) said: "FIDE has not received any official report of such an incident. Therefore we cannot comment on this matter".

Background

ARIANNE Caoili began playing chess at the age of 6. Her prowess first gained her international attention at the US Open at the age of 9.

At 14 she beat a Russian grandmaster and soon after gained the ranking of International Master.

Frustrated by a lack of sponsorship in the Philippines, she threatened to abandon her citizenship. Eventually, she opted to compete as an Australian. Her mother is Australian, her father Filipino.

Caoili recently took a break from competing professionally to finish school on the Gold Coast but has now returned to the international circuit.

She has been tipped to become Australia's first female International grandmaster, the game's highest rank.

From the courier mail website.

The above article isnt exactly the same as the paper article, but isnt far off.

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Another coup for AR: crikey.com.au subscriber email today recommends:

(To follow the chess world's ongoing reaction the biggest story to hit their world for some time, we recommend The Closet Granmaster blog)

(Name of blog misspelled, but link works.)

The rest of the Crikey piece is mostly a rehash of Stephen Moss' comments in the Guardian.

Kevin Bonham
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Most of the thread is now back online. About thirty posts remain offline - some of these because of dodgy comments about Arianne Caoili and some of them because of discussion of an unrelated incident. Some of these may be restored after further consideration.

Please be very careful not to make comments that may harm the reputations of individuals in the Australian chess scene unless you can firmly substantiate them, if necessary with corroboration from others. If dodgy unsubstantiated material continues to be posted on this thread it will be locked permanently.

Any discussion of moderation of this thread to feedback section or non-chess, not here. Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
news.com.au story with more extensive quotes from Caoilli here (http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,19413385-7484,00.html).

Once again there's really nothing to see despite the journalist's attempt to put a certain slant on her words - but it is interesting to see her try to make some use of the publicity.

Arrogant-One
10-06-2006, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=four four two]At this point we should consider the lyrics of Kenny Rogers...Coward of the county....;) :lol: :whistle:

I didn't know that was a Kenny Rogers song. I always wondered who wrote it. Good job 442.

antichrist
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I had two cousins fight over me once, does that count?

Dozy
11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Gormally finally spoke to the press. The interview is published in today's Age. It's not a bad article and manages to put a few things in perspective.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/i-fell-in-love-says-chess-brawl-man/2006/06/10/1149815362235.html

Desmond
11-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Gormally finally spoke to the press. The interview is published in today's Age. It's not a bad article and manages to put a few things in perspective.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/i-fell-in-love-says-chess-brawl-man/2006/06/10/1149815362235.html

Says it was a "punch out". I guess all the finger excercises at the chessboard has left the GM with a dangerous right hook. :lol:

Arrogant-One
11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I had two cousins fight over me once, does that count?

Its depends on which cousin you choose to marry. :P

Dozy
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Its depends on which cousin you chose to marry. :PWouldn't have mattered. They were both blokes :P

antichrist
11-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't have mattered. They were both blokes :P

They both had a set of footballs if you know what I mean.

Watto
11-06-2006, 11:11 PM

Ah, have to feel for him, poor guy. Love can be a terrible thing. :(
He comes across pretty well though... simple explanation, honest. :clap:

Lucena
14-06-2006, 05:13 PM
From http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3171:

In the meantime the news of The Incident has made the broadsheets all over the world, which suddenly discovered a passionate interest for chess. The story was quickly dubbed "Gormallygate" and, according to The Guardian, is "probably the best thing to have happened to this much-mocked pastime in a generation." And the chess blogs, naturally, went wild over it, reporting on a day-by-day, sometimes hour-by-hour basis. For them this became the main topic of the 2006 Olympiad, sweeping their web pages clean of chess. Some of them really need to get a life.

Get a life? That's a bit harsh, isn't it?:uhoh:

Rincewind
14-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Now I know why I try to avoid commercial news and current affairs. After all if that is the definition of "a life" I think I'm better off without one.

Alan Shore
14-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Now I know why I try to avoid commercial news and current affairs. After all if that is the definition of "a life" I think I'm better off without one.

I see. (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=79545&postcount=32) ;)

BTW, someone in the chess league at another forum I visit created a nice banner:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg226y/main/art/caoili.jpg

arosar
14-06-2006, 06:16 PM
A British journo is suggesting a cover-up by the ECF. It seems that punch-ups in English chess are quite common and simply swept under the carpet. Never investigated.

AR

Rincewind
14-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I see. (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=79545&postcount=32) ;)

Good find (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=79998&postcount=103).

Dozy
15-06-2006, 08:56 AM
It's often difficult to estimate how much publicity you get from a particular source but site statistics can help.

In three days (June 7-9) the Rooty Hill site registered 1,428 visits and 16,818 hits on individual pages.

We thought we'd won the lottery!

The vast majority of those hits came from a search for Arianne.

(I'm sure Amiel could quote a similar surge on the CGB.)

If the visitors were looking for sensation they'd have been disappointed -- mostly they were led to tournament reports about events in which Arianne had played.

But it does quantify something we all knew. Gormallygate created a helluva lot of interest in chess, and not all that publicity was bad.

Desmond
15-06-2006, 09:02 AM
In three days (June 7-9) the Rooty Hill site registered 1,428 visits and 16,818 hits on individual pages.

And it only took 1 hit to get the ball rolling ...:cool:

Ian Rout
15-06-2006, 09:10 AM
A British journo is suggesting a cover-up by the ECF. It seems that punch-ups in English chess are quite common and simply swept under the carpet.
Does "A British journo" explain how a cover-up is achieved when anybody who has seen or heard about such incidents can hop on to the Internet and broadcast to hundreds of millions of people, as we have seen in this instance?

arosar
15-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Yes. Traffic came from everywhere - mostly from other blogs. The Crikey referral was also fantastic.

But a large chunk of new traffic came via search engines looking for the string "Arianne Caoili" and, to a lesser extent, "Danny Gormally".

Last week I received a request for an interview with a podcaster. I reviewed his style and content. After careful thought, I had to decline.

AR

Arrogant-One
15-06-2006, 03:09 PM
It's often difficult to estimate how much publicity you get from a particular source but site statistics can help.

We thought we'd won the lottery!

The vast majority of those hits came from a search for Arianne.

If the visitors were looking for sensation they'd have been disappointed -- mostly they were led to tournament reports about events in which Arianne had played.

But it does quantify something we all knew. Gormallygate created a helluva lot of interest in chess, and not all that publicity was bad.

Any publicity is good publicity.

It seems that Arianne getting embroiled in a fight between two GM's has achieved the chess publicity that Bill Powell, the CAQ publicity officer, has sought for months.

I, therefore, recommend that Arianne be voted the new CAQ publicity officer!

antichrist
15-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Do you think as Queen of Chess she would mind leading the Gay Mardi Gra or the Moomba Festival - with all of us dressed up as pieces as her subjects?

Desmond
15-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Any publicity is good publicity.

Tell that to the Tasmanian mine owners :owned:

Dozy
16-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Any publicity is good publicity. . . . John Williamson wrote a song about it in the 80s. It was called "Puttin' on a Show" and, in part, goes like this:

Chappell's lost his good luck charm,
His brother bowls underarm;
The Kiwis were disgusted, Chappell's bubble busted,
Still he's got his little duck farm (quack, quack)

They're puttin' on a show,
Lillee and McEnroe --
No publicity is bad publicity,
Listen to them talkin' on the radio...And so on.

It was a very funny song but I've forgotten the lyrics now. Maybe somebody else can recall them.