PDA

View Full Version : Kirsan Ilyumzhinov re-elected

Garvinator
03-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has been re-elected by 96 votes to 57.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3155

Now I want to see how much support the re-elected team will give the smaller nations that didnt vote for the re elected team. I could take a guess :doh:

Brian_Jones
03-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I am pleased that Kirsan was re-elected by a big margin as anticipated.

But I think I am in a minority in Australia. Maybe it's because of my background and strong belief in popularisation of grass roots chess rather tha elite chess.

four four two
03-06-2006, 10:14 AM

But I think I am in a minority in Australia. Maybe it's because of my background and strong belief in popularisation of grass roots chess rather tha elite chess.

What has Kirsan done for grass roots chess Brian?:hmm: SFA!
If paying bribes at election time is supporting grass roots chess then give me elite chess any day. The thirld world countries that took Kirsan's money will be quickly forgotten by FIDE until another election rolls around.

I hope Bessel forms a breakawy federation,chess needs professionalism if it is going to have any chance of maintaining credibility with potential corporate sponsors.
Its the corporate sponsors who can make the biggest difference to grassroots chess,not some central asian dictatorial crackpot!:evil:

bergil
03-06-2006, 10:15 AM

That's fair enough. :clap:

Brian_Jones
03-06-2006, 10:49 AM
What has Kirsan done for grass roots chess Brian?:hmm: SFA! The thirld world countries that took Kirsan's money will be quickly forgotten by FIDE until another election rolls around.

I hope Bessel forms a breakawy federation,chess needs professionalism if it is going to have any chance of maintaining credibility with potential corporate sponsors.:

The number of countries playing in Turin is evidence of Kirsan's work at grass roots level.

What we don't need is a breakaway federation. I have seen chess breakaways before and after years of acrimony they get settled in court or by arbitration.

four four two
03-06-2006, 10:59 AM
The number of countries playing in Turin is evidence of Kirsan's work at grass roots level.

What we don't need is a breakaway federation. I have seen chess breakaways before and after years of acrimony they get settled in court or by arbitration.

Are you serious Brian?:hmm:
Olympiads had large numbers of countries long before Kirsan.:whistle:
You tend to forget Brian that FIDE doesnt have a legal hegemony on world chess. Anyone can set up an international chess federation.
All it takes is determination.

Denis_Jessop
03-06-2006, 11:22 AM

Naturally, as a Right Move supporter, I am not pleased. I also think that there is a very substantial majority of Australian chess players who would have been in favour of TRM. The significant thing for FIDE is that, now that the numbers have been tested, more than a third of the FIDE affiliates supported TRM including almost all of Western Europe and the USA. Interestingly,too, the uncommitted countries split about 50/50 based on the claimed support of each side.

As for support of grass roots chess, the present regime has done almost nothing in that direction. At least TRM promised establishment of FIDE Trainer Academies in Singapore and New York to be followed by academies in Africa, South America and Australia, inaddition to that now operating in Berlin. They are for training chess coaches.

I'm not sure that your background has much to do with it - I'm not quite sure to what you are referring. Anyway, England and Wales had declared support for TRM and, to slip into a digression, now that this poll has gone the wrong way, the best news for the week in my opinion was Ken Loach's taking out the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. You can't get much more grass roots than that these days. :clap:

DJ

four four two
03-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Denis,if Bessel Kok organises a viable breakaway organisation from FIDE will the ACF consider joining it?:hmm:

Denis_Jessop
03-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Denis,if Bessel Kok organises a viable breakaway organisation from FIDE will the ACF consider joining it?:hmm:

I have no idea what Council members would think about this. The matter hasn't been raised, even informally, in any discussions I have had with colleagues. I haven't even given it any serious thought myself as it wasn't suggested by the Right Move in any lead up to the election that that would be a consequence of its losing. Let's see what develops. If there is a serious move to establish a breakaway, it should at least be considered by the ACF. I would put it on the Agenda. My own feeling is that a breakaway movement is unlikely. There didn't seem to be any suggestion of it either in the report of the vote and aftermath that is on the FIDE website. Generally such moves are not to the benefit of the sport concerned. The history of such moves in boxing, for example, has made a very bad impression, I think.

DJ

arosar
03-06-2006, 01:14 PM
What is this item in the Australian team email that Aussie Garry Bekker was manipulated by the corrupt FIDE officials?

AR

Garvinator
03-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Comes from Leonid's report of the women's team at the olympiad:

Today I think that Khanty-Mansiisk will get Olympiad 2010 .They have proposed a lot financial insentives including price money of 250000 euros ,plus free 4 sarsaccomadation,free russian visas,cheap charter flights from 5-6 destinations,etc.Plus if they will get Olympiad 2010 they are hoping to host 2 world cups in 2007 and 2009 with price fund of not less that 1600000USD. An excellent propositions indeed.

Why are these excellent propositions? Shouldnt there be a focus on having the events in different parts of the world, or least outside Kirsan's backyard?

Thought the idea was to grow chess. Perhaps if Kirsan really does have a support the minnows philosophy, one of the world cups could be held in South Africa. SA is certainly not a minnow and has a track record in recent times of hosting world events and doing them not too bad either.

I just dont think having the events continually in Kirsan country is healthy long term.

Denis_Jessop
03-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Comes from Leonid's report of the women's team at the olympiad:

Why are these excellent propositions? Shouldnt there be a focus on having the events in different parts of the world, or least outside Kirsan's backyard?

Thought the idea was to grow chess. Perhaps if Kirsan really does have a support the minnows philosophy, one of the world cups could be held in South Africa. SA is certainly not a minnow and has a track record in recent times of hosting world events and doing them not too bad either.

I just dont think having the events continually in Kirsan country is healthy long term.

This is Kirsan attending to grass roots chess ;) .

There is an interesting passage in a book "The Chess Artist" by US chess-playing journalist J C Hallman who interviewed Kirsan in Elista in 2000. He records Kirsan as saying "a Kalmyk chess player will become world champion. [at that time Kalmykia didn't even have a GM: DJ] Two factors are important here. The first is that the future chess champion is going to be born here. The second is that a Kalmyk is the President of FIDE. FIDE and Kalmykia will get a boost from each other, and this will create an explosion of interest for both."

DJ

Basil
03-06-2006, 09:44 PM

You can't have it both ways mate. If you want energies devoted to playing chess in grass huts, nice one. But then you can't expect the big money for sponsorship you complain is missing.

Sort yourself out and get back to me.

antichrist
03-06-2006, 09:48 PM
You can't have it both ways mate. If you want energies devoted to playing chess in grass huts, nice one. But then you can't except the big money for sponsorship you complain is missing.

Sort yourself out and get back to me.

As the resident psychiatris isn't that your job?

Basil
03-06-2006, 09:50 PM
As the resident psychiatris isn't that your job?
Self admissions only, I'm afraid. The ones really in need of help don't realise they need it - baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :)

antichrist
03-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Self admissions only, I'm afraid. The ones really in need of help don't realise they need it - baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :)

I have a mate who is certified for writing bizarre letters and he sort of proud of it and flashes it everywhere.

Javier Gil
04-06-2006, 08:54 AM

I just read the closetgrandmaster's blog and I hope Ilyumzhinov talks to the wikipedia people and has the following articles modified, I'm pretty sure they're just bloody lies... :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsan_Ilyumzhinov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larisa_Yudina

Interesting comment, Brian.
One of Bessel's intentions was to improve the quality of professional chess, but that was just one... Ilyumzhinov's team took advantage of this and kept repeating it to the press. Bessel didn't react well enough and in my opinion that was his mistake.

What exactly has Ilyumzhinov done over the last few years to make chess more popular amongst the masses (clue: destroying the image of the World Championship perhaps so that nobody knows who the true champion is anymore?)
What exactly has he done for chess in the developing countries that you feel so happy? (clue: paying the airfares of the delegations of some of those countries so that they could go to the olympiad and vote for him? it is known that some of those federations didn't even have enough players in their federation to make a team. Another clue: increase FIDE fees so that the poor countries in the world couldn't pay them and then, if they want FIDE to "forget" about the debt, a vote might be a good currency?)

But what has he done exactly for grass roots chess? absolutely nothing, Brian.

Oops, actually, I stand corrected! he has tried to include as many people as possible on the FIDE rating lists, so that they too would pay fees to FIDE. There you go, grass roots chess!

I've got such a bad memory! :)

BTW, what would you do with 200.000? I'm saying this because NSWCA has 50% of that, and we need ideas, and perhaps they'd like to hear them so that we don't have to sell our vote. ;)

Garvinator
11-08-2006, 01:42 AM
I see that Mr President is visiting different countries, it is China now. Are we worthy of a visit? Considering our declaration of who we voted for, I doubt it.

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2006, 01:51 AM
I just read the closetgrandmaster's blog and I hope Ilyumzhinov talks to the wikipedia people and has the following articles modified, I'm pretty sure they're just bloody lies... :

I notice the former at least has been extensively revised and is now very much milder with a lot of unreferenced stuff removed.

Igor_Goldenberg
11-08-2006, 09:34 AM

They are bloody lies now after have been trimmed. Before that, they were much closer to the truth.

Denis_Jessop
14-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I see that Mr President is visiting different countries, it is China now. Are we worthy of a visit? Considering our declaration of who we voted for, I doubt it.

I doubt if we are a big enough fish. But it's interesting to see that there seems to be some kind of rapprochement with Turkey - the TCF president having stood with Bessel Kok as no. 2 on the ticket. Both Kirsan and Ignatius Leong, FIDE General Secretary, went to Agri for the u16 Olympiad and the TCF President is now saying nice things about Kirsan. And the TCF doesn't need the money - their annual income is about $US 3 million. Such is FIDE politics!

DJ

Javier Gil
06-09-2006, 07:31 AM
They are bloody lies now after have been trimmed. Before that, they were much closer to the truth.

I was being Ironic, Igor.

(Her newspaper was banned in Elista. Therefore, she would have it printed elsewhere and personally bring it in her car to Elista, where it could be distributed. It was during one of these trips that she was murdered. Two aids of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov confessed to the murder and were imprisoned. However, there has been no proof that Kirsan himself ordered the crime.)

I don't think Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has made any comments on the murder. There's one quote of his which I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the matter:

"Irrespective of what I tell people, I give them instructions on a subconscious level, a code...I am creating around the republic a kind of extrasensory field, and it helps us a lot in our projects."

I hope it didn't have anything to do with it.
Draw your own conclussions...

Another matter:
What do the following nations have in common? :hmm:

Cote d`Ivoire,
Ghana
Papua New Guinea
Nigeria
Surinam
Mauritius
Afghanistan
Guyana
Tajikistan

Some of the poorest countries in the world? Sure, but I didn't mean that.
Those countries' federations were excluded from FIDE for not being able to afford the rising fees.
Setting a wonderful example of what he meant by FIDE's popularization of chess in the world. Grass root chess at its best!