PDA

View Full Version : Chess P.R.

Axiom
31-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Within the space of 2 minutes , listening to tv ads on ESPN,i heard the following:-(1)the promotion of a DOMINO TOURNAMENT to be broadcast ! and (2)the following quote ( american accent!)in describing cricket,promoting the ICC Cricket show !: "Chess made Flesh"!
There is no shortage of instances where Chess or the concept/perception of chess is used to add credibility in the selling of products or services.It's just unfortunate that "chess" doesn't promote CHESS!....I mean A DOMINO TOURNAMENT?!?? and not one of those domino falling chains either!...as if televised darts,poker, is not bad enough.
It seems televised chess didnt "catch on"..BUT A DOMINO TOURNAMENT ??!.....
Interesting that chess was used to "sell" cricket to (i presume) americans!, again why cant chess sell itself? is it just the "fantasy" idea of chess that attracts people ? and not the game itself?.....maybe chess needs, itself, to be made flesh!.......ie. capture all the idealistic mystique of chess at the same time making it warm&fuzzy,approachable...this is the challenge! .........any ideas on how to promote chess in an original effective way?
i agree with others who say we should exploit/sell the personalities in chess,and also perhaps develop 2 series ,one for beginners, basically designed to capture there imagination(basically like a big ad,selling chess itself!) with very little education,..and directing them to training web sites..the 2nd series for those who know the basic rules(in the age of digital tv, it would be possible for say 4 channels each one catering for different audience skill levels......
Would be interesting to see what a major advertising agency could produce in a half-hour ad selling chess!(even a 30-60 second ad)....anyway i just want to lament once more ..A BLOODY DOMINO TOURNAMENT!!???!!?!?:wall:

Basil
31-05-2006, 11:53 PM
And on the 7th day, God invented page space and the paragraph double return.

bergil
31-05-2006, 11:56 PM
And on the 7th day, God invented page space and the paragraph double return.
Give yourself some dollars. ;)

four four two
01-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Axiom...consider this...a dominoes tournament could be sponsored by Dominoes pizzas.;) :whistle:

Chess can be marketed through tv...the only problem is that the people running chess havnt got a clue. They think speeding up the game is the answer,the concept of normal time controls and showing the game in highlights with expert commentary and graphics has yet to enter their head.

Hopefully one day it will.

Dozy
01-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Bergil and I were discussing this on the eau-de-cologne a couple of days ago and the possibility is there.

If SBS and the ABC can promote minority sports like cycling (enormous in Europe), netball and bowls, why not chess? It would need somebody at State or ACF level to pitch it to them, but it could work.

In the early days of Australian TV all shows started either on the hour or the half hour. That left Aunty ABC out of kilter with the rest and in fairness to viewers (such things were thought of in the 60s) they used fillers to bring their program times back in line with the commercial channels.

One series of those fillers was called Miniature Chess Masterpieces. I didn't play the game in those days and my wife still knows nothing more than the moves, but both of us were fascinated by the games. They weren't brevities -- they were full games in which the pieces were moved quickly while a commentator led us through the intricacies of the position. I think they were probably popular with viewers.

I'm willing to bet those games (they were black and white) or a more recent series are still available and could be utilised.

But that's only one angle and there will be others that might be presented to the ABC and SBS.

I think Frosty and Libby have both been successful in getting TV coverage but, of course, that's a lot easier to do with regional TV than with the city networks.

But let's not minimise the usefulness of getting a promotion there either. A tournament at Dubbo attracting Sydney players is newsworthy. So is the NSW Country championship. The problem is not that we can't get publicity but that we don't let the networks know there is something there for them.

Since I refused nomination for NSW Publicity Officer at the last AGM I'm not going to point any fingers but should TCN be willing to push the publicity angle I'm sure he'd be able to get some help. (Paul B and Howard are both journalists and might be able to give him some clues about how it could be done. I'm willing to help but, although I've been successful with club-level publicity, I'm very much an amateur with all an amateur's limitations.)

Rincewind
01-06-2006, 09:13 AM
If SBS and the ABC can promote minority sports like cycling (enormous in Europe), netball and bowls, why not chess? It would need somebody at State or ACF level to pitch it to them, but it could work.

I remember SBS running a GM Daniel King program on the FIDE Cup in Dubai a couple of years ago. I sent an email congratulating them on the program but AFAIK they have not run any more. I don't know if this was an SBS decision or just a problem with availability of similar programs to air.

Igor_Goldenberg
01-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Axiom...consider this...a dominoes tournament could be sponsored by Dominoes pizzas.;) :whistle:

Chess can be sponsored by the stock exchange. After all, they use CHESS!

arosar
01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Clearing House Electronic Subregister System.

AR

Oepty
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
There is a Chess removalist company here in SA.
There is also a Checkmates resturant, a topless resturant.
Scott

Basil
01-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Chess can be marketed through tv...the only problem is that the people running chess havnt got a clue. They think speeding up the game is the answer,the concept of normal time controls and showing the game in highlights with expert commentary and graphics has yet to enter their head.
In the late 70's early 80's BBC 2 in UK had a great programme, The Master Game. It was exactly as you describe. It didn't rate. :evil:

WhiteElephant
01-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I remember SBS running a GM Daniel King program on the FIDE Cup in Dubai a couple of years ago. I sent an email congratulating them on the program but AFAIK they have not run any more. I don't know if this was an SBS decision or just a problem with availability of similar programs to air.

Was that the British-produced one where they had all these crazy nicknames for the players, like Planet Shirov and Best-dressed Leko, or something like that. If it's the same one, it was brilliant, lots of humour, slo-mo replays of the key moves. Great stuff.

Denis_Jessop
01-06-2006, 10:07 PM
In the late 70's early 80's BBC 2 in UK had a great programme, The Master Game. It was exactly as you describe. It didn't rate. :evil:

That may well have been the program that the ABC showed out here. I remember the program but not its name. It was shown in about the same era as Pot Black, the trend-setting snooker program and I recall a newspaper reviewer suggesting that chess may take over from snooker as the viewers' choice. But the program disappeared, perhaps because the BBC axed it. The BBC had previously presented a very heavy Third Programme radio chess weekly series that ran from 1959 to 1964 called The Chess Treasury of the Air some of which was published by Penguin in 1966 under that title. It dealt not with news but with games, theory, chess history etc and would have appealed only to the committed player I suspect, not that that is a criticism at all.

I mention that the ABC sports writer in Canberra contacted me in my then capacity as ACTCA President some time ago about putting on a program about chess - not a series but just one - I think they were interested in Street Chess that is held here every Saturday - so there is some interest in the media. The problem with presenting a regular show is that it needs an informed person to present, and probably devise, it and that means someone from the chess community with media savvy cum presence. SBS's early efforts at cycling were rather pathetic but they have improved a bit and also have the assistance of Stephen Hodge from Cycling Australia who knows what he is talking about (and also comes from Canberra :cool: ).

DJ.

Axiom
01-06-2006, 10:27 PM
We have CNN.COM advertising on CNN using full screen shots of chess pieces and chess clock! for a number of seconds ,with chess as the central "selling point",and of course who could forget the big musical stage for CHESS?!
There is little doubt that chess has come close to reaching a stable spot in mainstream media(some good examples already on this thread), but has yet to grab a firm foothold. However i dont believe all is lost, i dont think there is a problem per se with the product, but simply the packaging/presentation.
With the advent of the digital tv age, multiple option channels will be available to produce a chess tv program that can appeal to a wide enough audience ,as to possibly make it viable.
This show has a ready made home at CNN!

ElevatorEscapee
01-06-2006, 11:23 PM

Yes, I remember that was in 2002. I had the good fortune to tape it. :)

SBS replied to my appreciative email saying they were going to run a series of them... but only the one was ever aired to my knowledge. :(

Axiom
01-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Chess can be sponsored by the stock exchange. After all, they use CHESS!
perhaps a business program on CNN!...SAY, THE NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE MILLION DOLLAR SWISS ,LIVE ON CNN ! .........there are an increasing no of tv channels available, along with digital flexiblity, surely chess can find a niche somewhere!.........but i guess in other parts of the world this already exists,could someone verify this?

Southpaw Jim
02-06-2006, 03:28 PM
I think the problem is making chess exciting to the audience - in poker, you have big-money bets on the drop of a card. I'm not sure that:

"Oh my god, Bf4!, what a fork!!"

will have the same impact as "$80,000 on a pair of 3s! What balls!!" :eek:

The other problem is the depth of knowledge, although having a commentator who can translate GM-level ideas to patzer-level understanding would be the solution. Pandolfini's book on Kasparov vs Deep Blue II would be close to this, I guess..

Arrogant-One
02-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Hopefully one day it will.

I agree. Poker has become popular to watch on TV because poker programmes tend to only show the important hands and showdowns, and edit out all of the boring non-interesting hands. Chess could do likewise I think, and edit a 5 hour game into maybe half an hour with commentators and Fritz analysis along the way.

four four two
02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I think the problem is making chess exciting to the audience - in poker, you have big-money bets on the drop of a card. I'm not sure that:

"Oh my god, Bf4!, what a fork!!"

will have the same impact as "$80,000 on a pair of 3s! What balls!!" :eek:

The other problem is the depth of knowledge, although having a commentator who can translate GM-level ideas to patzer-level understanding would be the solution. Pandolfini's book on Kasparov vs Deep Blue II would be close to this, I guess..

Chess is never going to have the mass market appeal that poker has,it will always be a niche audience. The only question is how big the niche.
Its very hard to get a relative beginner[someone under 1000 strength] to appreciate the beauty of a well played GM game,even with the worlds best commentators.

Euro,I dont know if you are familiar with the chess site Chess FM but on that site they have audio lectures where commentators go through GM games.
They use graphics to illustrate possible lines that could have been played and point out key squares in positions as well as showing the actual game that took place.

You could do a similar thing on cable tv with edited footage of the game involving the two GM's. The well versed amatuers would love to see the professionals sweat!:D

Southpaw Jim
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
I guess my point, although poorly expressed, was that the niche is probably going to be too small for even cable tv to bother with. Would be nice to see though :hmm:

Thanks for the Chess FM tip too! :)

WhiteElephant
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming but I have confidence that chess can one day become a mainstream sport, at least at low skill levels. Clearly a tv program which reaches a mass audience must focus on chess characters, strories, humour, feuds between players, etc. The commentators MUST be charismatic. Some of those GM commentators on Chess fm put me to sleep with their monotone voices. Better an FM or whatever with a sense of humour than a GM who gives dull as batshit analysis. Chess should be made more accessible, not elitist.

Axiom
02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming but I have confidence that chess can one day become a mainstream sport, at least at low skill levels. Clearly a tv program which reaches a mass audience must focus on chess characters, strories, humour, feuds between players, etc. The commentators MUST be charismatic. Some of those GM commentators on Chess fm put me to sleep with their monotone voices. Better an FM or whatever with a sense of humour than a GM who gives dull as batshit analysis. Chess should be made more accessible, not elitist.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

four four two
02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I guess my point, although poorly expressed, was that the niche is probably going to be too small for even cable tv to bother with. Would be nice to see though :hmm:

Thanks for the Chess FM tip too! :)

No niche is too small for cable tv....:D

WE,seeing as you find some of the chess commentators a bit dull what do you think of the idea of getting a few Hollywood actors to read a chess script describing the game?:hmm:

For example you could have Bruce Willis and Samuel.L.Jackson discussing the intricacies of the sveshnikov sicilian or the french winawer...while throwing in some of there well known movie lines...:D

Dozy
05-06-2006, 01:45 PM
There are lots of ways to promote chess:

This might be only a school gimmick but why wouldn't that be worthwhile, if only to show a fun side of chess to the kids and their parents?

The excerpt from yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer is from a section listing what's happening around Philly on the weekend (places to go, things to see):

Chess comes alive

Chess becomes a spectator sport at the Chess Club of St. Joseph St. Robert Catholic School's Living Chess Day. While two students play on a regulation-size board, the moves will be enacted by children on a handmade, 27-by-27-foot board in the church parking lot. Free. 850 Euclid Ave., Warrington. 3 to 6 p.m. 267-261-4612.

Dozy
21-10-2006, 10:11 AM
To the victors go the fries. Another interesting chess promotion.

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17348095&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=566835&rfi=6