PDA

View Full Version : FICS & cheating

Southpaw Jim
16-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to add time to your clock while playing on FICS?

I was just playing moments ago, and slightly ahead in the game in terms of material and position in a 20 0 game. My clock was at about 7 mins and my opponents at 6 mins or thereabouts. Next thing I knew, his clock read at about 9 mins! :eek:

I ended up being mated after blundering while under time pressure :uhoh: :doh:

I swear I wasn't imagining it.. is it possible to add time to your own clock?

Basil
16-05-2006, 10:56 PM
My guess is lag.

Southpaw Jim
16-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Hmm, makes sense I guess :hmm:

Alan Shore
16-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Euro, I play on FICS all the time, and it is NOT possible to cheat adding 2 mins, it was certainly lag.

MichaelBaron
17-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Internet chess is certainly open to cheating. The slower the time limit is, the more likely is the cheating to occur.

But adding time to the clock...hmm:hmm:

Phil Bourke
17-05-2006, 12:14 AM
I use Babaschess to play there and it displays a players lag during the game so that these events aren't such a surprise.
Three minutes isn't such an unusual occurence for lag, I recall one player being barred from tourneys there because he often had three plus minutes lag and this continually held up the following rounds.

Alan Shore
17-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Internet chess is certainly open to cheating. The slower the time limit is, the more likely is the cheating to occur.

But adding time to the clock...hmm:hmm:

Well yes, this was in relation to clock. Re; moves, well, I don't play internet chess in time controls > 5 mins but I would suspect fritzilisations could be possible.

Southpaw Jim
17-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I'd not considered lag before, and I'm 100% sure it was 'legit'..

But on the subject of lag, I heard somewhere (maybe in a FICS chatroom, not sure) of people, especially in blitz games, intentionally causing themselves to lag by starting a large download at a crucial moment and thereby gaining themselves thinking time.

Anyone else heard of this? :eh:

Basil
17-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I heard somewhere (maybe in a FICS chatroom, not sure) of people, especially in blitz games, intentionally causing themselves to lag by starting a large download at a crucial moment and thereby gaining themselves thinking time.

Hi Euro

Any more subscriptions to conspiracy theories, and I'll sign you up to the ALP myself (well, something left and clueless, anyway).

The 'trick' would be valueless on account of both players still having the same time, regardless of how they use it, (the player could just stare at the screen for 30 secs, doh).

Talk to me more often, I'll help you navigate this silly little world, and save you decades of naval gazing and listening to dribblers.

Big brotherly arm
Howie

Alan Shore
17-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd not considered lag before, and I'm 100% sure it was 'legit'..

But on the subject of lag, I heard somewhere (maybe in a FICS chatroom, not sure) of people, especially in blitz games, intentionally causing themselves to lag by starting a large download at a crucial moment and thereby gaining themselves thinking time.

Anyone else heard of this? :eh:

Have heard of it, it's especially nasty in bughouse. But these days with broadband it'smore difficult todo.

MichaelBaron
17-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Euro

Any more subscriptions to conspiracy theories, and I'll sign you up to the ALP myself (well, something left and clueless, anyway).

The 'trick' would be valueless on account of both players still having the same time, regardless of how they use it, (the player could just stare at the screen for 30 secs, doh).

Talk to me more often, I'll help you navigate this silly little world, and save you decades of naval gazing and listening to dribblers.

Big brotherly arm
Howie

Some of the internet chess players make sure that their computer stats lagging every time they are in mutual time trouble as they do not care if they win through unsporting means or not...

Basil
17-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Some of the internet chess players make sure that their computer stats lagging every time they are in mutual time trouble as they do not care if they win through unsporting means or not...

Michael

When would you like to book in for your consultation? My rates are reasonable and I have a cappuccino machine.

Trent Parker
18-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Probably Lag. The only way to add time to a clock is if the Opponent to the person in time trouble types in something i cannot remember.

MichaelBaron
18-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Michael

When would you like to book in for your consultation? My rates are reasonable and I have a cappuccino machine.

Howard, are you saying that it is impossible to create a lag through "artificial" means? One can make his computer lag on purpose if he wants to.

Phil Bourke
18-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Probably Lag. The only way to add time to a clock is if the Opponent to the person in time trouble types in something i cannot remember.
"moretime xxx" where xxx is number of seconds.

Basil
18-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Howard, are you saying that it is impossible to create a lag through "artificial" means? One can make his computer lag on purpose if he wants to.

Hi Michael

I'm sure its possible to do. But you can only lag yourself, not your opponent.

However, if you suggest that lagging oneself lulls the opponent into a false sense of security, then the opponent is a wally. It is NOT possible to shortchange your opponent on time.

It is however possible to give the impression that your own computer is lagging.