PDA

View Full Version : Big Question?

bobby1972
02-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Why do we feel the need to compete.i mean what the dickens are chessplayers trying to prove. :whistle:

Igor_Goldenberg
02-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Look up selfish gene theory

Rincewind
02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Why do we feel the need to compete.i mean what the dickens are chessplayers trying to prove. :whistle:

It is the same thing that drove us to climb Everest, reach the South Pole and continues to drive us into space. Too much free time.

Rincewind
02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Look up selfish gene theory

Are you assuming that the higher your rating the greater is your chance is of having sex. My casual observation is generally an inverse relationship exists. :D

(no offense)

bobby1972
02-05-2006, 03:25 PM
now after all these years i realise why i never became a top player he he he:owned:

PHAT
02-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Are you assuming that the higher your rating the greater is your chance is of having sex. My casual observation is generally an inverse relationship exists. :D

Microjuniors? :uhoh:

Igor_Goldenberg
02-05-2006, 04:38 PM

(no offense)

Desire to compete does guarantee success. There are main two components to success in the tournament - knowledge of chess and how can you keep focus, concentration and desire to win.

1st component defines the level, second - how far (or below) this level you perform.

But of course chess is not the most testosterone-clad competition.

MichaelBaron
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM

(no offense)

I can think of some highly rated chessplayers who are known for their "amorous" adventures. Tkachev is one who comes to mind

Rincewind
06-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I can think of some highly rated chessplayers who are known for their "amorous" adventures. Tkachev is one who comes to mind

There will always be outliers.

firegoat7
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM

Because there is a real beauty in competition that seeks to bring out the best performance.

cheers fg7

MichaelBaron
06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Those who love the social side of chess - come and join us at St.Kilda Gardens. No preassure to compete - simply enjoy the beers and kibitz. There is a giant outdoors chess set available around the clock.:owned:

Free chess 7 days a week (obviously playing outdoors on a rainy day could be a problem)!

P.S. Buy me a beer:lol: and I will give away all my chess secrets :hand: (not that I have any)

Armagoden
28-05-2006, 09:26 PM

If we didn't we all be couch potatos.:hmm: