View Full Version : New DGT Clock

arosar
20-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Anyone had a chance to buy/use this: http://www.dgtprojects.com/clock_easy.htm

What's the verdict?

AR

four four two
20-04-2006, 10:59 AM
2 AA batteries giving you 2 years of operation...thats a bit optimistic isnt it?:whistle:

Attractive and robust gift box...WTF?....:eh:

ursogr8
20-04-2006, 11:50 AM
2 AA batteries giving you 2 years of operation...thats a bit optimistic isnt it?:whistle:
<snip>

Good morning Mr. All-except-2-behind-the-ball, ;)

Your post prompted me to look at our spreadsheet of maintenance of DGT clocks. We have 64, the majority purchased around early 2003.
More than 15 clocks have not had a battery change in their life-time (with us).
The worst clock, clock #48, has had 9 changes of batteries in 3-4 years.
Those are the two extremes.

regards
starter

Garvinator
20-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Your post prompted me to look at our spreadsheet of maintenance of DGT clocks. We have 64, the majority purchased around early 2003.

regards
starter
might want to put clock 48 on the reserve list;)

four four two
20-04-2006, 12:15 PM

regards
starter

Those 15 clocks must have been used in some pretty short games...:D
Did your clocks come in an "attractive robust gift box"?:hmm: ;)

ursogr8
20-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Those 15 clocks must have been used in some pretty short games...:D

6 clocks to a box...11 boxes. One box could be at the bottom of the cupboard and rarely opened.

Did your clocks come in an "attractive robust gift box"?:hmm: ;)

We do not plan to gift them away. :cool:

Brian_Jones
20-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Attractive and robust gift box...WTF?....:eh:

442. Has nobody ever bought you a nice present for your birthday?

BTW these clocks are for a wide range of sensible games as well as for chess!

Garvinator
20-04-2006, 02:26 PM

Brian, arent you missing a free plug opportunity here, you havent missed one yet for the 2006 gp;) :cool:

Brian_Jones
20-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Brian, arent you missing a free plug opportunity here, you havent missed one yet for the 2006 gp;) :cool:

No good plugging what cannot be supplied.

DGT has already sold out of DGT Easy worldwide. Next shipment probably not in Australia until July/August 2006.

four four two
20-04-2006, 05:01 PM

Brian,I have seen clocks in their original boxes...I have yet to see one that was in a "attractive and robust gift box.".;)

Kevin Bonham
01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Anyone had a chance to buy/use this: http://www.dgtprojects.com/clock_easy.htm

What's the verdict?

I have a fair amount of experience with these critters. I have found that in junior chess (even when players are deterred from thumping and fiddling) they are quite prone to get damaged, so that when one player presses, unless they press quite hard and quickly, their time continues ticking as their button doesn't quite stay down. Of a few dozen clocks used by juniors for about 30 games each, about 20% developed this issue.

Has anyone else (a) encountered the same problem (b) found a way to fix it?

Garvinator
01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I have a fair amount of experience with these critters. I have found that in junior chess (even when players are deterred from thumping and fiddling) they are quite prone to get damaged, so that when one player presses, unless they press quite hard and quickly, their time continues ticking as their button doesn't quite stay down. Of a few dozen clocks used by juniors for about 30 games each, about 20% developed this issue.

Has anyone else (a) encountered the same problem (b) found a way to fix it?
I have encountered it with the red dgt2000's quite often, but not with the newer dgt xl.

antichrist
01-08-2006, 11:06 PM
What type did they use at the Mackay Open?

Basil
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM
The RagTop 2000

antichrist
01-08-2006, 11:23 PM
The point being HD that I am guessing that they may have used analogues but am only fishing.

Sounds like a good name for a jazz band that, if I used that description I would be called a racist and barred. But it is pretty difficult for things to stick to rotten bananas

EZBeet
02-08-2006, 12:19 PM
These clocks do not do increments.

Good for scabble or other games but not really for chess.

I bought one of these but without increments it's not very useful to me.

Anyone wants one?

I have one new in box, used once $20 batteries included.

Brian_Jones
02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
No good plugging what cannot be supplied.

DGT has already sold out of DGT Easy worldwide. Next shipment probably not in Australia until July/August 2006.

DGT Easy back in stock. See http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?s=DGT+EASY&Search=Search

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I have encountered it with the red dgt2000's quite often, but not with the newer dgt xl.

This is the DGT Easy.

Make that 20% I mentioned above, 30%.

Brian_Jones
02-08-2006, 04:53 PM
This is the DGT Easy.

Make that 20% I mentioned above, 30%.

Kevin, as well as teaching the kids chess, you should teach them to be kind to snails, animals and chess clocks.;)

Garvinator
02-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Kevin, as well as teaching the kids chess, you should teach them to be kind to snails, animals and chess clocks.;)
Chess clocks clearly being the most important:P :cool:

EGOR
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
This is the DGT Easy.
No.

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2006, 05:09 PM

I have actually made strenuous attempts in the latter direction. It seems more likely that unless this is a defective batch, this brand of clock is simply of too flimsy construction for events involving inexperienced juniors. Other brands of clocks used in the same environment will have the odd problem, but nothing like this. Today I saw no signs of fiddling with clocks, nor particularly harsh thumping, and still more of them developed the same problem.

I would be interested to hear from others who have used DGT Easy in tournaments with lots of inexperienced juniors.

Denis_Jessop
02-08-2006, 05:25 PM
These clocks do not do increments.

Good for scabble or other games but not really for chess.

I bought one of these but without increments it's not very useful to me.

Anyone wants one?

I have one new in box, used once $20 batteries included.

I believe the DGT Easy Plus does increments.

DJ

EZBeet
03-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I believe the DGT Easy Plus does increments.

DJ

Well the 'plus' means obviously plus increments.
Still waiting for offers for my DGT Easy. Bought it from Graham at the gold coast champs. Mint Condition.

Garvinator
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Still waiting for offers for my DGT Easy. Bought it from Graham at the gold coast champs. Mint Condition.
you will be waiting a while I suspect.

Desmond
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
You could donate it as an upset prize in your next tournament, if you feel so inclined.

ElevatorEscapee
06-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi EZ, I sent you a PM on Friday night offering to buy the clock. :)

peter_parr
16-08-2006, 01:22 PM
The DGT Easy has not been imported by Chess Discount Sales.
I have imported chess clocks for the last 33 years and quality control is a major factor in the last few years for CDS importing any chess clock.

As an importer I order one sample clock from a manufacturer and personally examine the clock, thoroughly testing it and have it tested by an expert in chess clocks with 20 years experience examining clocks from many countries.

Our tester will go as far as taking the clock apart and making an inspection of what can’t be seen from the outside.

I will only import a clock if it is reliable. The DGT Easy also has very limited functions and is less then half the price of the DGT-XL – a good reliable clock now after the recall of all original DGT-XL clocks.
Sadly in Australia a number of the recalled DGT-XL clocks were not returned to the manufacturer who replaced my entire shipment.

By far the best value in digital chess clocks is the Excalibur Game Time II more then $50 cheaper than the DGT-XL with very similar full functions and the official digital clock of the US Chess Federation. Literally hundreds have been sold by CDS in Australia and not one clock has been returned to CDS with a fault.

This compares with 45 x DGT 2000 (red model) clock I returned to the Netherlands for repair due to faults with the DGT products. The update DGT-XL was released in late 2003.

DGT Netherlands have always repaired or replaced faulty products at their expense in my experience over a number of years.
If a customer finds a faulty product they should contact their supplier for repair or replacement.

I well recall the NSWCA decision to purchase 100 cheaper chess clocks some years ago. My advice was very clear. Do not buy these clocks. After thorough testing I told the NSWCA all the faults with these clocks. The NSWCA purchased the 100 clocks anyway and had numerous problems with them – many did not work properly and are now in the dustbin of history.

My advice to any club on a new chess clock product is to purchase one clock – test it thoroughly before purchasing more.

arosar
16-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Excaliburs are, indeed, very reliable. We have a couple of them in the Town Hall CC.

But personally, I don't like them. They have a different feel and I don't like hitting them because they feel like they'll break at any given moment. Also, the resetting process is a bit awkward. You have to balance the 2 buttons ala a mechanical. Why you have to do this for a digital?

AR