PDA

View Full Version : Watchable game?

Rincewind
19-04-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't play too many games I feel like posting here. However this one I found enjoyable and I think it is a "watchable" game. Given my modest rating it won't bear close scrutiny but it was fun never the less. Incidentally, I believe this is my first try at the Polugaevsky variation in a standard game...

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 d6
3. d4 cxd4
4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 a6
6. Bg5 e6
7. f4 b5
8. Qf3 Bb7
9. o-o-o Be7
10. Bd3 o-o
11. Qe2 b4
12. e5 bxc3
13. exf6 cxb2+
14. Kb1 Bxf6
15. Nxe6 fxe6
16. Qxe6+ Kh8
17. Qh3 g6
18. Bxg6 Qc7
19. Rxd6 Bxg5
20. fxg5 Bxg2
21. Qh5 Bxh1
22. Bxh7 Rf1+
23. Kxb2 Qb7+
24. Ka3 Qf3+
25. Qxf3 Rxf3+
26. Rd3 Kxh7
27. 0-1

My general comments are I think White's 8 and 12 are not best. The validity of the piece sac on 15 I'm not so sure about. Given the position it might be White's best chance but I haven't yet had the time to convince myself of it objective value. I think White was still in the game up until move 19. At this point perhaps another move would have been more testing. There are chances for Black to go wrong after the text but I think other tries for White will be variations branching at move 19. My opponent actually ran out of time on move 27 as well as resigning (which explains 26.Rd3 instead of Bd3). I didn't take much notice of my clock but I believe I had around 30 minutes left.

If anyone has comments on the game or my quick notes please post them.

Details of the game are my opponent was rated around 120 points lower than myself but a junior. Time limit was 60 min + 10 sec/move. It was played over the board.

antichrist
19-04-2006, 09:39 AM
It could very well be watchable but with all the melodramas on the main board - there could even be blood on the dancefloor!

Carl Gorka
19-04-2006, 10:46 AM
A very nice game to watch. The 8.Qf3 line is seen quite a bit but it's definitely not as testing as 8.e5 or 8.Qe2.

12.e5 seems dubious to me. I reckon he should just move his knight and then get on with the attack. And while 15.Nxe6 looks attractive I don't see where White can improve so I reckon it's just wrong and that you are technically winning after that, although some good moves had to be found. Maybe White could try to bring his other rook into the game by 19.Rhe1 but I still reckon Black is doing fine.

I'll have a deeper look later, but interesting game.

Rincewind
19-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the comments. 8.e5 is where I spent most of my 5 minutes of pre-game preparation. I just wanted to make sure I had the mainline memorised as you don't want to be looking for the best moves over the board in those sort of positions. 8.Qe2 I just knew of and figured I could play that position at the board if necessary. However, I thought it is a pretty subtle move and not likely to be played by an unprepared opponent.

I agree 12 looks bad. With the Q on e2 though the knight is somewhat embarassed. One line would be 12.Na4 Qa5 13.b3 Nbd7 and Black might be causing problems with the dark squares around White's king. The other option is 12.Nb1 which is optically worse but maybe better?

The other move I was thinking about at move 19 apart from Re1 a rook move is 19.Bh6. I don't know if it works but it is interesting.

Sorry about the vagueness of my comments but I don't have a board or any chess software handy and I am working from memory.

Rincewind
19-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Now I'm back home I'll post a couple of corrections for my fault memory and unplugged analysis.

After 7...b5 the main line is really 8.e5 dxe5 9.fxe5 Qc7 and at this point white can play Qe2 or something else. I checked out 10.exf6 Qe5+ 11.Be2 Qxg5 and white normally plays o-o or Qd3 here.

If 10.Qe2 then Nfd7 11.o-o-o Bb7 and now white can try Nxe6 or Qg4. Anyway, I didn't prepare for 10.Qe2 too closely as I said and only really had a chance to look at the 10.exf6 line.

Regarding move 19, it still looks very interesting. 19.Bh6 doesn't seem to cut the mustard, 19...Rg8 looks winning for Black. So I guess White should try 19.Rhe1. After 19...Bxg5 fxg5, Crafty and I looked at a few moves here for black. 20...a5 or Nc6 (looking to complete development) seem to let White equalise or at least "almost" equalise. 20...Ra7 is bad and white can win with 21.Rf1. So the move that seems best is 20...Bc8. Could this anti-positional move be best? The main variation we looked at was 21.Qh6 Qg7 22.Be4 Ra7 23.Qxd6 and here it appears Black can with careful play complete development and make use of the extra piece. Not easy to find and doubtless other possible improvements are lying around but 15.Nxe6 might still have been White's best try under the circumstances.

(The last paragraph is mainly curtesy of Crafty. Those earlier are due to Nunn, The Complete Najdorf 6.Bg5 [1996]).

Jesse Jager
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Is there a second volume to the complete Najdorf by Nunn?

Rincewind
04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Is there a second volume to the complete Najdorf by Nunn?

Yep there are two volumes.

One is Bg5 (as I mentioned above) the I believe other is sub-titled "Modern Lines" and deals with all other lines in the Najdorf which don't transpose into a Scheveningen. I can give you more details when I get home. PM me if you're interested.

MichaelBaron
05-05-2006, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=fireeater]A very nice game to watch. The 8.Qf3 line is seen quite a bit but it's definitely not as testing as 8.e5 or 8.Qe2.

8.e5 almost refutes Polugaevsky Variation. But lets get real, to play such a committing move one has to know loads of theory. Thats why Polugaevsky is such a good weapon for black for club players.

In a tournament game, i would have no guts for 8.e5 :hmm: :doh:

Igor_Goldenberg
05-05-2006, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=fireeater]A very nice game to watch. The 8.Qf3 line is seen quite a bit but it's definitely not as testing as 8.e5 or 8.Qe2.

8.e5 almost refutes Polugaevsky Variation. But lets get real, to play such a committing move one has to know loads of theory. Thats why Polugaevsky is such a good weapon for black for club players.

In a tournament game, i would have no guts for 8.e5 :hmm: :doh:

Almost is a right world. Still not refuted. And if you play Bg5 against Najdorf, you have to be ready to take a risk. If my memory serves me right, there are a lot of sharp lines white can't avoid.

If white does not play 8.e5 against Polugaevsky, he can't expect more then equalising (if lucky). The least risky line would be 8.e5 de5 9.fe5 Qc7 10.Qe2