PDA

View Full Version : chess coaching by phone

FM_Bill
27-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Some people might baulk at the idea of having chess lessons by phone, however it can work pretty well.

There is no travelling involved which means lower rates. A computer can
also easily be accessed.

Lessons can be at odd hours , for example 10-12 at night.

Over the phone has got to be better than email or online.

Anyway, I think the idea is worth putting out.

Rincewind
27-03-2006, 04:12 PM
As one recepient of said coaching I can confirm that it does work fairly well however might even be further facilitated by some software which allowed coach and student to share the same analysis board or boards. However, even with both people independently using chessbase, scid or similar---with some effort to ensure the 2 boards remain in synch'---can achieve quite a a lot of useful discussion over the phone.

antichrist
27-03-2006, 04:14 PM
as long you can pay for the coaching with phoney money

pax
27-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Some people might baulk at the idea of having chess lessons by phone, however it can work pretty well.

There is no travelling involved which means lower rates. A computer can
also easily be accessed.

Lessons can be at odd hours , for example 10-12 at night.

Over the phone has got to be better than email or online.

Anyway, I think the idea is worth putting out.

Why would it be better than online? Online you can be looking at the same board, analysing with computers or whatever. If you have broadband you can use Skype or similar to talk for free.

Rincewind
27-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Why would it be better than online? Online you can be looking at the same board, analysing with computers or whatever. If you have broadband you can use Skype or similar to talk for free.

I think that would work too. In fact if both coach and student had a high speed internet connection you could have a voice connection across Australia or even internationally for free and be connected to somewhere like FICS for analysis.

antichrist
27-03-2006, 10:20 PM
as long you can pay for the coaching with phoney money

Talk about casting pearls to swine!

Rincewind
27-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Talk about casting pearls to swine!

Yeah, but don't be so self-deprecating.

Tomas Kessler
28-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I think coaching using the telephone is a great idea. As it can be increasingly difficult to arrange times that suit you and the coach, an account and mobile are fantastic especially if say you are playing interstate and FM Bill is in Melbourne. Chess can benefit from the incresing adoption of current technology more than other sports.