PDA

View Full Version : chessmaster

king58
17-03-2006, 08:18 AM
What kind of chessmaster do you have:huh:

i have tenth edition:snooty:

Kevin Bonham
17-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Since you ask, I have Chessmaster II for the Sony Playstation.

EGOR
17-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Chessmaster 10:)

ElevatorEscapee
17-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I have the original Chessmaster 2000 for the Commodore 64.

I have had it since around 1988.

It was such a strong program that it was of equivalent strength to my Scyciis Kasparov Companion III chess computer that I bought around the same time. It would lose to it at fast time limits, but consistently beat it at 1 min per move when I played them against one another.

Both programs are still strong enough to give me a tough game today. (I guess one positive of not improving much in chess over that time is that I am still getting my money's worth out of both investments!)

I have an Amiga version of Chessmaster too, which has better graphics and a stronger playing engine.

I also have the Sega MegaCD "Star Wars Chess" version (also created by the Software Toolworks), which was modelled on Battlechess, however it has Star Wars characters as the pieces, and animated displays of them capturing one another. When you win as white, you are rewarded with Darth Vader's saying "Most impressive"!

The playing strength of the Sega MegaCD game is well below par (no pun intended Peter) of the other Software Toolworks titles, however I don't think it was aimed at the the chess fan so much as hoping to ride the Star Wars popularity wave. In any case, it is still funny to watch how Yoda captures an enemy piece!

Personally I think that Software Toolworks should be congratulated for consistently creating such an enduring, enjoyable and fun product. :)

Spiny Norman
20-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Chessmaster 8000 ... cost me about $10 or thereabouts.