PDA

View Full Version : the ability to think

qpawn
14-03-2006, 08:29 PM
What tests show that someone has the ability to think through stuff in chess?

For instance you give the Lucena position to someone who has never seen it before. When I saw it I had no clue how to go about it. But to work through it all it requires "chunks" of thinking tto use the psychological jargon, and the ability to see that the king and rook have to meet up and form the "bridge" to queen the pawn.

I would like to think that someone who could "think" who knew no theory would beat someone who knew lots of theory without being able to think. But I don't know. There's a 100 K psych PHD foe someone.

But before you do that PHD , there are others to do:

[1] people like me who can not touch type. [and yes I have tried Mavis Beacon and the other programs and they don't help a bit]
[2] People like me who cannot problem solve with numbers at all. You give me the year and 12 CATS for maths and I'LL fail; my maths degree will come to naught.

antichrist
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
What tests show that someone has the ability to think through stuff in chess?

For instance you give the Lucena position to someone who has never seen it before. When I saw it I had no clue how to go about it. But to work through it all it requires "chunks" of thinking tto use the psychological jargon, and the ability to see that the king and rook have to meet up and form the "bridge" to queen the pawn.

I would like to think that someone who could "think" who knew no theory would beat someone who knew lots of theory without being able to think. But I don't know. There's a 100 K psych PHD foe someone.

But before you do that PHD , there are others to do:

[1] people like me who can not touch type. [and yes I have tried Mavis Beacon and the other programs and they don't help a bit]
[2] People like me who cannot problem solve with numbers at all. You give me the year and 12 CATS for maths and I'LL fail; my maths degree will come to naught.

I think the thinker would have to learn some theory to defeat the theory learner non thinker, it only requires basic chess thinking to defeat someone who has no theory