PDA

View Full Version : Films, CDs, books, theatre and anything

Pages : [1] 2

arosar
09-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Reviews and recommendations here.

Go see Irreversible at the Chauvel. A film by Frenchman Gaspar Noe. The film provoked outrage and walkouts in Edinburgh and Cannes and here in Sydney too due to very graphic 9-minute long a*na_l rape scene. Also one scene wherein a guy's head gets bashed by a fire extinguisher and the camera never pans away. Very confronting. Tell us what you think.

Buy 3 Doors Down album, "Away From the Sun". Great music!

AR

arosar
05-07-2004, 02:45 PM
"Crazy Americans!" That's about all I could think to myself after seeing two docos on the weekend: Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine and Jehane Noujaim's Control Room. The former is, of course, about America's gun culture, essentially; the latter is more about the broad American bullschit-artistry over the war in Iraq, democracy, American power and, in particular, the media's role in all of it.

Columbine is now out on DVD. Definitely worth renting. Control Room is at the Valhalla Cinema in Glebe (www.valhallacinemas.com.au).

AR

antichrist
08-07-2004, 03:56 PM
What about last night's tear jerker from the Philippines, "The Child" "Anuk" about real life, female overeas contract workers leaving their young families and returning home years later to emotional relational turmoil - their children not even recognising them. It is sad when true love must be threatened/sacrificed because of conditions of poverty brought on by corrupt govenments, foreign exploitation and overpopulation. It exposes all the Lady Di b-u-l-l-d-u-s-t for what it was.

arosar
08-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I heard some good news this morning mate. The Censors in this country do have some sense sometimes. It looks like the bast.ards resisted calls by the Australian Family Association as well as the AG of South Australia to ban Anatomy of Hell. And how's about this bloke - the Attoney General from SA. What a f**kwit! I mean, he's acting like he's got some kinda friggin' carrot stuck right up his as.s mate. Thank God good sense prevailed.

AR

antichrist
08-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I heard some good news this morning mate. The Censors in this country do have some sense sometimes. It looks like the bast.ards resisted calls by the Australian Family Association as well as the AG of South Australia to ban Anatomy of Hell. And how's about this bloke - the Attoney General from SA. What a f**kwit! I mean, he's acting like he's got some kinda friggin' carrot stuck right up his as.s mate. Thank God good sense prevailed.

AR

I am beyond this stage (hopefully not to do with my age), in my day it was the full frontal nudity of "Hair". I look for good story lines. Now I am even beginning to agree with my dear old ma that sex can ruin a good movie. I was spot interviewed by Hinch program years ago, they flashed the new centrefold of PLayboy (or something) in front of me and asked my opinion. I said it was only photography and I was off to the real thing. Curiously I had the 666 headband on and they asked me about that too. I put po-o0p on the Christains and they put it to air, that was another good laugh

I admit that I don't go to movies now. ARe they matching "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"? I loved Jesus of Montreal, I knew every line. I was the only one in the theatre bursting out laughing all the time. I don't know why people were looking at me. Repeating, the best of all time must be "Tin Drum"!!!!!. My then wife had studied child pschyology, explained the finer points and said it all added up. What a classic opening scene - impossible to be matched. Looking inside out!!!!! I am waiting for a movie of 11/9 unedited with all original footage. Rosario - Have you seen tin drum???????????????

arosar
19-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Anatomie De L'enfer at Valhalla. All I can say is, "Eeewww...yuck!" No wonder some blokes are tootsies.

AR

frogmogdog
19-07-2004, 09:57 PM
SUPERSIZE ME!

saw it last night -- fantastic movie (and i'm not just saying that because i'm a vego who owns a T shirt of ronald screaming "eat death" as he plunges a bloodied knife into a calf).

that bloke had worse liver function tests after 3 weeks of big macs than nearly all of my chronic hepatitis patients.

my kids' school has got junk food vending machines. how come schools can be told to get flag poles but can't be told to get rid of crap food? i hate the way that word "choice" gets used all the time by pollies and their apologists now.

which reminds me of the matrix movies... i saw them and my favourite line came from a villain. it was something like -"choice is an illusion of those with power over those who have none".

machomortensen
10-08-2004, 05:45 AM
I completely agree! It´s a great movie. Morgan Spurlock takes the best from the Michael Moore traditions.

Btw, have any of you seen "The Soul Keeper" by Roberto Faenza?? In my opinion it´s a "must see"...

Alan Shore
10-08-2004, 07:56 PM
SUPERSIZE ME!

saw it last night -- fantastic movie (and i'm not just saying that because i'm a vego who owns a T shirt of ronald screaming "eat death" as he plunges a bloodied knife into a calf).

that bloke had worse liver function tests after 3 weeks of big macs than nearly all of my chronic hepatitis patients.

my kids' school has got junk food vending machines. how come schools can be told to get flag poles but can't be told to get rid of crap food? i hate the way that word "choice" gets used all the time by pollies and their apologists now.

which reminds me of the matrix movies... i saw them and my favourite line came from a villain. it was something like -"choice is an illusion of those with power over those who have none".

I saw this film some time ago.. while the experiment was spurious in some instances it did really expose just how bad the food is - even if you don't consume it every day for a month, simply in terms of calories and sugar content. Suffice to say it expressly ended my days of upsizing meals at fast food outlets. I have made some effort to adopt alternatives to fast food when I can too in an effort to be more healthy. It was also very well done, humourous factual and more objective than some docos I have witnessed in times past.

I also recently watched Fahrenheit 9/11. Parts of that film were absolutely outstanding, in exposing the lengths to which governments go to, to maintain control. Most of these things we all knew yet seeing it presented was a fresh reminder. The disappointing aspect was the inherent bias Moore had in trying to make Bush look stupid and in making some claims that were perhaps trying a little too hard to make conspiratorial connections. Because of these factors I believe the film would have less impact on voters than perhaps it could have. However it stands that it was presented exceptionally well and really brought to the fore some issues that would have otherwise been pushed into the background and forgotten.

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2004, 08:34 PM
I saw Supersize Me a few weeks ago and thought that apart from a certain low-budget amateurishness in presentation and a degree of gimmickry, it was a very good effort.

I'm off to F9/11 later tonight. Although I am opposed to the Iraq war, I am increasingly displeased by the level of propaganda-style factual manipulation in Moore's films, so I am not sure how I will find this one. I actually feel like I've already "seen" F9/11 in a sense because I have read so much debate about it. The 56 Deceits paper by Dave Kopel is the best of the attempted refutations I have seen. It is not just as if these are all side-points; sometimes when you add up all the little tricks and half-truths in a propagandist's argument, your view of a whole issue can shift somewhat.

arosar
13-08-2004, 06:44 PM
The 56 Deceits paper by Dave Kopel is the best of the attempted refutations I have seen.

Has been upgraded to 59.

So what did you think of the film?

AR

PHAT
14-08-2004, 07:48 AM
I have just read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night".

To be in the mind of an autistic person is a whorlwind experience. So alien and yet having fragmants of familiarity. Highly recommended!

frogmogdog
14-08-2004, 02:39 PM
I have just read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night".

hey, i've read that too - great book.

talking about kiddies' books, the latest morris gleitzman "girl underground" is also worth reading - it's the one that amanda vanstone had her knickers in a knot about (it humanises refugees or something. actually, sort of on that subject...
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/13/1092340464714.html )

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Has been upgraded to 59.

So what did you think of the film?

AR

Just lazily copy-and-pasting a review I posted elsewhere:

Firstly, since this is a film about politics and I am one of those weirdos who believes the facts matter more than which side you're on, I should say that the film is awash with distortions, omissions, misrepresentations, selective evidence etc. (though no worse in this regard than virtually every word spoken by the Republican hacks.) Most of the time Moore's "errors" are deliberate propaganda; once in a while it seems like an innocent mistake and outright bad journalism. It's not all rubbish but it was rare for him to go five minutes without saying something at least mildly suspect and I was glad I'd done a lot of pre-reading on issues of fact in the film.

Moore's tone was surprising. In the past he's generally been quite animated, in this one his narration was often very laid back, with very little tonal variation. Also he used very simple political language as much as he could. For these reasons, while the film talks down to its audience, I don't think it does so in the Resistance propaganda style claimed by some. Rather, it is an exercise in political populism, even extending to including the opinions of completely irrelevant random plebs along the way.

I enjoyed the presentation of material. It gave me the feeling that I was looking not at a dodgy doco but more at a sketch of an alternate political reality that Moore created for his own ends. The packaging of shots of politicians having bad hair moments and so on could be seen as tasteless, but it also made the point that these guys have such manicured images normally that all you ever see is a trumped-up positive side of their nature. The point that they are just human beings at the end of the day is an obvious one, but it does still have to be made.

The conspiracy theory type sections were generally weak and silly. OK, I know some Saudis have more policy influence than they deserve and I know not all Saudis hate Osama bin Laden as much as they're supposed to, but beyond that I didn't believe a word of it.

The film's strongest sections were the actual Iraq war (or post-war) images, because what we are seeing on TV here is way too sanitised and is not giving us anything like a fair picture of what a messy, vicious conflict it is. The political scene isn't doing that either, even those US Democrats who are anti-war aren't exactly playing hardball over it in general.

On the whole I thought the film was more advanced technically but less interesting than Bowling For Columbine. I enjoyed it more than I expected in spite of its many obvious flaws.

antichrist
16-08-2004, 02:58 PM
KB
I am still beating the drum for Tin Drum, have you seen it?? I know AR hasn't. It is on video.

PHAT
16-08-2004, 03:07 PM
hey, i've read that too - great book.

talking about kiddies' books, the latest morris gleitzman "girl underground" is also worth reading - ...

Yes, these are those rare books that cross the generation divide.

While we are talking about easy but good reads, someone bought me "The Truth About Dogs." Mostly a book illuminating the when/where/why/how of the subspeciation of dogs from wolves, much of it was not new to me. However, the most emusing/disturbing facet of the man-dog relationship discussed, is the paracitism involved.

eclectic
16-08-2004, 03:09 PM
KB
I am still beating the drum for Tin Drum, have you seen it?? I know AR hasn't. It is on video.

A CLASSIC !!!

(and
MEPHISTO
too)

eclectic

Rincewind
16-08-2004, 04:30 PM
In case you haven't seen it yet and were wondering... 21 Grams is good. Hire the DVD and check it out.

Kevin Bonham
18-08-2004, 01:30 AM
KB

No I don't think I have, I shall consider when I next find time to visit the video store (an increasingly rare event, haven't been for months.)

arosar
10-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Get into some Bollywood!

http://www.mgdistribution.com.au/

AR

Rincewind
10-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Kill Bill Vol 2 is out on DVD next week.

PHAT
10-09-2004, 02:42 PM

Am I in the minority by saying Kill Bill Vol 1 was a tad boring. Tarrentino might say that he is/was paying tribute to other film makers craft, but hey, my heart rate didn't change in 90 minutes. :confused:

It was a poor movie, I think, because it was simply self indulgent, paying little attention to the paying customer. A triumph of form over function.

Rincewind
10-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Am I in the minority by saying Kill Bill Vol 1 was a tad boring. Tarrentino might say that he is/was paying tribute to other film makers craft, but hey, my heart rate didn't change in 90 minutes. :confused:

It was a poor movie, I think, because it was simply self indulgent, paying little attention to the paying customer. A triumph of form over function.

Perhaps it was a question of expectation. If you want a heart rate lift, do 45 minutes on an elliptical trainer.

Alan Shore
10-09-2004, 04:55 PM

I liked Pai Mei but was disappointed David Carradine didn't do any Kung Fu moves :(

Rincewind
10-09-2004, 05:12 PM
I liked Pai Mei but was disappointed David Carradine didn't do any Kung Fu moves :(

Apparently there was a fight scene involving Carradine but was cut from the final film. I think it might be on the DVD.

Alan Shore
11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Ah, I found what I was looking for!

http://img46.exs.cx/img46/187/paimei.gif

Kevin Bonham
16-09-2004, 02:30 AM
As requested by Mr Dickinson on another thread here is a brief list of my favourite bands. I have adapted it from a post made to another forum.

My favourite band is the Church (and all their related side-projects). I have a whole shelf full of Church and Church alumni stuff.

My favourite g*th band is Suspiria. My other favourite goth bands include the Sisters of Mercy, Manuskript, Fields of the Nephilim, Children on Stun, the Merrythoughts, Rosetta Stone, the Virgin Prunes, Still Patient?, Intra-Venus, March Violets, collide, Terminal Power Company and the very early work of Nosferatu (among dozens and dozens of others). In the not-exactly-goth-as-such-but-somewhere-in-the-same-dark-alley department, I like Joy Division, Therapy?, Garbage, New Order and Diamanda Galas and I don't mind early to mid-career Nick Cave.

I like some Australian alternative bands, especially Augie March, Died Pretty, the Go-Betweens and the Crystal Set. I am very much interested in singer-songwriters who are interesting lyricists, particularly Dylan, Graham Parker, Elvis Costello, Al Stewart, Leonard Cohen, Suzanne Vega and Michael Penn. The rest of my dubious taste is a very random collection of all sorts of peculiar things - Shriekback, John Cooper Clarke, Yello, Hawkwind, Underworld (mk ii), Alan Parsons Project (eek!), Violent Femmes, Bowie, MGF, Tom Lehrer.

Go figure ...

Alan Shore
16-09-2004, 02:46 AM
Wow Kevin.. I have heard of like... none of those (well, a couple). I'll have to check some of it out.

I'm quite easy, I like most music, except perhaps for the stuff Kerry Stead listens to (and there's even a couple of those that aren't too bad).

My favourite popular genre is probably rock, my favourite band is Iron Maiden, the guitar is quite simply stuff of genius. Powderfinger are great, Evanescence and Linkin Park.

My other great love is video game music, during high school was all I'd listen to. Recently been hearing some excellent remixes of the old tunes, whether they be orchestral arrangements, techno beat-drops or electric guitar solos.

Rounding it off, classical is great, I listen to it in my car all the time, Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #3 is my favourite piece.

Garvinator
16-09-2004, 02:55 AM
my favourite band is Iron Maiden,
no kidding, no one could have expected that curve ball :P :cool: ;)

Alan Shore
16-09-2004, 02:58 AM
no kidding, no one could have expected that curve ball :P :cool: ;)

:cool:

What are your favourites?

Alan Shore
16-09-2004, 03:26 AM
My favourite band is the Church (and all their related side-projects). I have a whole shelf full of Church and Church alumni stuff.

I got one song, 'Reptile' which was okish.. nothing great.

Next I got 'Under the Milky Way'.. and I had heard that before I just didn't know who the artist was. That's a great song!

frogmogdog
16-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Wow Kevin.. I have heard of like... none of those (well, a couple). I'll have to check some of it out.

not heard of tom lehrer???!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/28/1046407753895.html?oneclick=true

Rincewind
16-09-2004, 08:39 PM
fmd,

Is your avatar a dailek from Dr Who with the face of John Howard superimposed over the top? If so, where did you get the inspiration for that? If it is not too personal a question.

Kevin Bonham
17-09-2004, 02:30 AM
not heard of tom lehrer???!

Probably a bit before his time. (And mine, but Lehrer never goes out of fashion if you hang around the Maths Dept as I did when I first enrolled in uni a decade and a half ago.) Also, more in the line of musical satire than anything else on that list.

Garvinator
17-09-2004, 02:40 AM
:cool:

What are your favourites?
i am not a fan of music where you cant hear the words being sung, so that rules out alot of heavy metal and grunge music. I dont have any favourite singers, but do like some songs. But in general, not a music fan much at all.

PHAT
17-09-2004, 05:58 AM
i am not a fan of music where you cant hear the words being sung, so that rules out alot of heavy metal and grunge music.

and opera.

Alan Shore
19-09-2004, 09:47 AM
My top 10 fiction books:

1. Watership Down - Richard Adams
2. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
3. Foundation's Edge - Isaac Asimov
4. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
5. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
6. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
7. Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
8. Patriot Games - Tom Clancy
9. Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less - Jeffery Archer
10. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

ursogr8
19-09-2004, 10:16 AM
My top 10 fiction books:

1. Watership Down - Richard Adams
2. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
3. Foundation's Edge - Isaac Asimov
4. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
5. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
6. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
7. Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
8. Patriot Games - Tom Clancy
9. Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less - Jeffery Archer
10. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

hey BD

While you are looking around for something useful to do, check out
http://www.chesscafe.com/misha/moscowblitz.htm

Should be right up your alley of interest.
Amazing to read that such an important BLITZ tournament is played with analogue clocks; can you believe.

starter

antichrist
19-09-2004, 12:24 PM
I liked Wild Cat Falling

Paul S
20-09-2004, 10:41 AM
This seems like the appropriate thread to put this.

Over the years I have seen some great concerts (eg Elton John, Neil Diamond etc) and some disappointing ones (eg Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper etc). Last night I saw my best ever concert at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, "The Best Disco in Town".

What made it so good for me was:
1) The variety of artists (6 different singers/groups).
2) Each artist played 5 or 6 of their best known songs (ie there was no "let me sing you a few songs from my soon to be released new album" as often happens at concerts). Each artist had about 30-40 minutes on stage and I think this enabled them to put more energy into their 30-40 minutes as oppposed to "pacing themselves" to last for 2 hours.
3) I felt young again listening to all those well known songs from my teenage years! Anyone between 35 and 50 who was there last night (which was most of the audience) would have felt the same way!
4) The performers put in their full effort and there was none of the "going through the motions" as sometimes happens. They encouraged the crowd to sing along and get involved (which everyone did).
5) I knew every song and most of the lyrics.

In a first for a concert that I have been to, it started ON TIME (7.15pm) at the advertised starting time!

Started of with a decent support band (how rare is it to have a decent support act at a concert these days! ), the Abba cover group Abbalanche. They gave a good rendition of 5 of Abba's classics, Waterloo, Fernando, SOS, Mama Mia and my favourite, Dancing Queen (Dancing Queen is my favourite all time song). Needless to say this got me in a good mood for what was to follow, and (like just about everyone else) I hardly sat in my seat for the rest of the night.

Next was Boney M, who sang some of their classics including Rivers of Babylon, Rasputin and Daddy Cool.

Errol Brown of Hot Chocolate then came on stage and sang several of Hot Chocolate's well known songs including Everyone's a Winner, Heaven's in the Back Seat of My Cadillac and You Sexy Thing.

Then came the larger than life figure of Gloria Gaynor. She sang with great passion several of her classics including Never Can Say Goodbye, I Am What I Am and of course I Will Survive. She seemed to be a lady so full of life and great character who had overcome adversity.

The colourful Village People with their fancy costumes were on next. They sang their classics including Go West, In The Navy, YMCA, Macho Man and You Can't Stop the Music.

Lastly was KC and the Sunshine Band (which included an absoltely stunning young 18-20 year old woman dancer). KC was a real character! Sang all his best songs including Boogie Shoes, Please Don't Go, Give It Up, That's the Way I Like It, Keep It Coming Love etc.

The show ended at 10.50pm, just over 3.5 hours. There were only short breaks between acts ranging from between 2 to 10 minutes.

The only down side was the Entertainment Centre being only about half full (there would have been around 5000 people there), which I attribute mainly to the concert being on a Sunday night. Still, you wouldn't have known it from the great atmosphere and in some ways this made it better by making it a more intimate concert experience (I guess much like Neil Diamond when he used to sing at LA's Greek Theatre).

Thankyou to 101.7 WS-FM and all others involved in putting on this great show! FANTASTIC! As Tina Turner would say, Simply the Best! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rincewind
20-09-2004, 02:44 PM
The colourful Village People with their fancy costumes were on next. They sang their classics including Go West, In The Navy, YMCA, Macho Man and You Can't Stop the Music.

A couple of years ago I understand the Bank of W.A. used 'Go West' in an advertising campaign. One would assume they were oblivious to the sub-text.

Paul S
20-09-2004, 03:31 PM
A couple of years ago I understand the Bank of W.A. used 'Go West' in an advertising campaign. One would assume they were oblivious to the sub-text.

I'd say they were unaware!

Sounds similar to SBS management being apparently unaware of the meaning of Eat Carpet!

frogmogdog
24-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Is your avatar a dailek from Dr Who with the face of John Howard superimposed over the top? If so, where did you get the inspiration for that? If it is not too personal a question.

hi barry
either that or it's the green ball of hate without a body imposed on top.

inspiration? i did it ages ago, did one of george bush too, think it was for an anti-fta stall. i suppose i find them both dalek-like.... exterminate etc.

eclectic
24-09-2004, 09:59 PM
hi barry

inspiration? i did it ages ago, did one of george bush too, think it was for an anti-fta stall. i suppose i find them both dalek-like.... exterminate etc.

what's the difference between john howard and a dalek?

a dalek has charisma

;)

eclectic

Rincewind
24-09-2004, 10:45 PM
hi barry

OK, then no connection to Dr Hewson. ;)

Paul S
25-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Does anyone know of a CD store in the Sydney CBD that has a large selection of CDs (ie a significantly larger selection than the average CD store)?

I'd like to buy a couple of CDs featuring some of the songs from the concert I went to last Sunday night (see post #40 in this thread).

PHAT
25-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know of a CD store in the Sydney CBD that has a large selection of CDs (ie a significantly larger selection than the average CD store)?

I'd like to buy a couple of CDs featuring some of the songs from the concert I went to last Sunday night (see post #40 in this thread).

Just go into any music store and order what you want. ;)

PHAT
25-09-2004, 06:55 AM
I (we family) are off on an exteeeeended holiday. I hope to finish reading Manning Clark's "History of Australia" - what a huge peice of scholarship it is! I find his style is a cross between a first person novel, university text, and a police report - quite weird, quite entertaining. I should have read it 15 years ago, I would have understood Australia today, much better.

Kevin Bonham
25-09-2004, 08:57 PM

I do not recommend this. My experiences with ordering music over the counter of record stores, admittedly often of obscure titles and in Tasmania at that, have usually been disasters. Far better to find one of the big stores in the city centre that should actually have whatever it is in question.

These days if a new CD I want comes out and isn't available locally I will buy it off ebay, even from the USA, in preference to ordering it over the counter. Believe it or not, I have found that overall, this is generally faster, cheaper and more reliable.

Paul S
26-09-2004, 11:05 PM

:doh: Not very helpful, Matthew (for reasons Kevin gave in post #49 and for other reasons).

Anyyway, I saw Amiel (Arosar) today at the NSW Championships and he helped me out - will try out the store he recommended (Borders in Imperial Arcade in Pitt Street Mall) next Thursday! Thaknkyou Amiel! :clap:

Rincewind
21-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Girl with Pearl Earring is worth a look. However, the film is unjustifiably very unkind to Mrs Vermeer. So don't mistake a good story for historicity.

arosar
21-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Check out the b-grade 'Equilibrium'. It's post-war world. To avoid war, the leaders kill off human emotion. Interesting concept.

AR

Kerry Stead
25-10-2004, 01:07 PM
:doh: Not very helpful, Matthew (for reasons Kevin gave in post #49 and for other reasons).

Anyyway, I saw Amiel (Arosar) today at the NSW Championships and he helped me out - will try out the store he recommended (Borders in Imperial Arcade in Pitt Street Mall) next Thursday! Thaknkyou Amiel! :clap:

Have you tried JB Hi-Fi in Bankstown for something local? They seem to have a pretty decent sized range (and very cheap prices). Another option for Borders is to go to Macquarie Centre before a round of the NSW Champs on Sunday - its not too far away from Ryde, although might be a bit inconvenient if you aren't driving.

Paul S
25-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Have you tried JB Hi-Fi in Bankstown for something local? They seem to have a pretty decent sized range (and very cheap prices). Another option for Borders is to go to Macquarie Centre before a round of the NSW Champs on Sunday - its not too far away from Ryde, although might be a bit inconvenient if you aren't driving.

Hi Kerry. No, I haven't been to the Bankstown place, but I will have a look at it whenever I am next there.

I have been to Borders in the City a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday night, though (I pass through the CBD on my way home from work), and they had most of the stuff I was after.

I've been driving to most of the rounds of the NSW Champs, and I plan to do so for the last round (next Sunday). If I leave home early enough, I will pop into Macquarie Centre on my way there on Sunday.

Paul S
20-11-2004, 03:49 PM
I saw the Eagles last night in concert at the Superdome (Homebush).

They put on a great show. Started at 8.10pm and finished at 11.10pm (with a 15 minute break). 3 hours - can't complain about that!

They sang nearly all of their classics such as Hotel Califonia and Take It Easy (and they also sang some of their less familiar songs).

Towards the end they went on and off stage after each song and one was never quite sure if that was it or not. My favourite Eagles song is Desperado, and I was beginning to wonder if I was going to hear it. However, they save their best for last - Desperado was their final song of the night (and they did a superb version of it)!

I don't think much of the Superdome as a venue though. The actual facilities are fine - its just that there are no restaurants nearby to eat at before the show and one has to drive to and from the venue (ie can't drink much).

Rincewind
20-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Towards the end they went on and off stage after each song and one was never quite sure if that was it or not. My favourite Eagles song is Desperado, and I was beginning to wonder if I was going to hear it. However, they save their best for last - Desperado was their final song of the night (and they did a superb version of it)!

I have to agree with you here. I listened to alot of Eagles in my youth and my favorite song has to be the last track from the Desperado album - Doolin-Dalton/Deperado (Reprise). I like Life in the Fast Lane, Hotel California and others; and am a Joe Walsh fan, but some of their pre-Walsh stuff was pretty good too.

Trent Parker
20-11-2004, 08:24 PM
My parents are going to see the Eagles Tomorow.

Just on music stores (if you haven't found one already.

HMV - Mid City Centre access from pitt st mall (i think they call it basement level)
Fish Music - on george street near wynyard station entance. (i think it is still there)
Myer - is ok

I think there is more. just have to think of them.......

Paul S
21-11-2004, 12:12 AM
My parents are going to see the Eagles Tomorow.

If it is as good as Friday night's show, they will love it!

Just on music stores (if you haven't found one already.

HMV - Mid City Centre access from pitt st mall (i think they call it basement level)
Fish Music - on george street near wynyard station entance. (i think it is still there)
Myer - is ok

I think there is more. just have to think of them.......

Thanks for the offer. However, the store that Amiel (Arosar) gave me (Borders in Pitt St Mall) was fine. I have got what I wanted.

arosar
19-02-2005, 11:55 AM
City of God. Brilliant! Even hell can be beautiful. At least on film. Out now on DVD.

AR

Kevin Bonham
22-02-2005, 02:57 PM
One of my favourite authors is gone. Hunter S Thompson, 1937-2005

antichrist
22-02-2005, 06:36 PM
City of God. Brilliant! Even hell can be beautiful. At least on film. Out now on DVD.

AR

BD,
Isn't there a famous book "City of God", put out by one of religious greats. Thomos More?? or someone.

Edit: I did a search and it was St Augustine.

AR,
was the movie based on this book, if so I will catch it. If Hell is in it, it certainly could be.

Edit 2
another search of reviews shows is not. Sounds like a movie that has been on SBS, or maybe seen reviewed there.

Libby
24-02-2005, 08:55 AM

Sigh - must you post stuff like this? :( Reminds me of my recent car trip to Toukley. Two of my passengers are in Year 12 so, as we drive through Sydney, I comment - "came up here to see U2 at the Entertainment Centre when I was in Year 12." (And I still have the tour booklet and t-shirt!)

One passengers says, quite genuinely, "have they been around that long? I liked that Beautiful Day song and I knew they'd had a couple of earlier albums ..."

Never mind. I had control of the CD player and we covered (all mine, for better or worse) -

The Saints
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
Pearl Jam
The Go-Betweens
The Church
Scissor Sisters
The Whitlams
Jet

but they did baulk at Missy Higgins & George

Libby

Alan Shore
24-02-2005, 09:28 AM
'Have they been around that long?' Hahaha.

Although Iron Maiden (my favourite band) are old rockers..started out in the early 80's! Yet, it's their newer stuff I'm most fond of, particularly the album Brave New World.

Libby, your taste is not bad, I like the Whitlams, Jet are good on occasions, as are Pearl Jam. The others.. well, can't say I've heard of them (with the exception of Church but that was only through KB's introduction).

Let me glance across at some CD's on my desk..

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Powderfinger - Odyssey #5
Evanescence - Fallen
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto #3 + Piano Preludes

Still, most of what I listen to these days are video game remixes.. orchestral, electronica, piano, guitar.. multitude of genres by very talented artists.

As for films, I've seen a few recently.. cinema-wise, 'House of Flying Daggers' is excellent, I enjoyed it almost as much as Hero, an interesting story but most of all amazing cinematography..

I also watched 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow'.. I wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be great! A real classic-style adventure and the only thing that has come close in the last 15 years to matching Indiana Jones.

On video, 'Blade Runner'.. a little dated now I suppose but a good performance from Rutger Hauer.

Libby
24-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Libby, your taste is not bad, I like the Whitlams, Jet are good on occasions, as are Pearl Jam. The others.. well, can't say I've heard of them (with the exception of Church but that was only through KB's introduction).

Damned with faint praise ...

Try http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:cx6ibkk96ak0~T1 for Lloyd Cole. Truly worth a listen IMHO. Although I was listening to the CD in the car I do actually own the records ...

And none of the boys had heard of Scissor Sisters either so I'm just ahead of the rest of you I guess :owned: Rather disconcerting cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" but worth a listen. They belong in the new millenium actually - not in the dark ages of the 80s.

PS we did also listen to Evanescence. Single choice permitted to my 11 year old daughter.

My 14 year old daughter was planning to buy Scissor Sisters herself but is now quite miffed because if I bought it and I like it, she can't possibly like it anymore. She also appeared to have missed they were as gay as gay ...

Trent Parker
24-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Damned with faint praise ...

Try http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:cx6ibkk96ak0~T1 for Lloyd Cole. Truly worth a listen IMHO. Although I was listening to the CD in the car I do actually own the records ...

And none of the boys had heard of Scissor Sisters either so I'm just ahead of the rest of you I guess :owned: Rather disconcerting cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" but worth a listen. They belong in the new millenium actually - not in the dark ages of the 80s.

PS we did also listen to Evanescence. Single choice permitted to my 11 year old daughter.

My 14 year old daughter was planning to buy Scissor Sisters herself but is now quite miffed because if I bought it and I like it, she can't possibly like it anymore. She also appeared to have missed they were as gay as gay ...

Hmmm the whole family has good taste :D

Evanescence is currently one of my favorite bands..... haven't got the cd yet.... ;)

Lol at Scissor Sisters being gay. :lol: I have heard of this band. Recently i have been listening to the "Alternative music" radio on Yahoo!

Jet is another band that i like...... In fact My father likes their music as well. (hmmmm bright idea for 50th Birthday Prezzie...)

Whitlams are good.

Go-betweens is another band i have heard on Yahoo!

Ok now lets rummage about here and see what i've got.... hmmm
Reflector - Killing Heidi
Coupla Savage Garden Cd's
a Pink CD
Daft Punk CD

Hmmm interesting.
One of my brothers cd's
The Vandals.....
Album entitled "Hitler bad, Vandals Good"

Trent Parker
24-02-2005, 11:44 AM
hmm i've also got U2- Zooropa here somewhere....

Trent Parker
24-02-2005, 11:48 AM
In terms of movies.... I have recently seen Electra.... Which was ohhhhh Kaaaay.
And i have seen Alexander. Which was a good movie. Theres another person who was gay :lol:

Trent Parker
24-02-2005, 11:53 AM
BTW a good place in sydney for alternative music is "Utopia" Near Town Hall. They also sell collectibles. I was in there a couple of weeks ago. One thing they had was a box set of all The Beatles Albums. Also special signed items.....

Libby
24-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Hmmm the whole family has good taste :D

Nope - husband likes Billy Joel, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac etc.

Lol at Scissor Sisters being gay. :lol: I have heard of this band. Recently i have been listening to the "Alternative music" radio on Yahoo!

I think my daughter's problem centres around her belief there is a girl in the band .... :doh:

Libby
24-02-2005, 12:15 PM
hmm i've also got U2- Zooropa here somewhere....

Yes ... well... I have "Boy" "October" "War" "Under A Blood Red Sky" and "The Unforgettable Fire" on good old vinyl.

antichrist
24-02-2005, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Libby]Nope - husband likes Billy Joel, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac etc.

There are characters like this who, when the greatest and most innnovative rocks groups around, go for the softies.

Listen to a whole album of Janis Joplin and you will never be the same again. There is no climax like a Ravi Shankar one. Doors, Kinks, Who, Animals... those were the days.

frogmogdog
24-02-2005, 05:04 PM

BD - you're from brisbane and have never heard of the saints or go betweens??

aarrgghh! the ignorance of youth -- wash your mouth out and read the book "pig city" (preferably twice).

http://www.uqp.uq.edu.au/book_details.php?id=0702233609

Pig City: from the Saints to Savage Garden
by Andrew Stafford (Paper C Format)

ISBN 0702233609
Category History - Australian
Pages 336
Release Date October 4th, 2004

From cult heroes the Saints and the Go-Betweens to national icons Powderfinger and international stars Savage Garden, Brisbane has produced more than its share of great bands. But behind the music lay a ghost city of malice and corruption.

Pressed under the thumb of the Bjelke-Petersen government and its toughest enforcers - the police - Brisbane's musicians, radio announcers and political activists braved ignorance, harassment and often violence to be heard.

Pig City maps the shifts in musical, political and cultural consciousness that have shaped the city's history and identity. This is Brisbane's story - the story of how a city finally grew up.

Rincewind
24-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ani di Franco yet?

Paul S
24-02-2005, 11:07 PM

I'm sorry to tell you Libby, but your husband has excellent taste when it comes to music - those 3 artists are great! BTW, I went to the Eagles concert (Superdome at Homebush) late last year and they were great - show went for 3 hours!

Alan Shore
24-02-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry to tell you Libby, but your husband has excellent taste when it comes to music - those 3 artists are great! BTW, I went to the Eagles concert (Superdome at Homebush) late last year and they were great - show went for 3 hours!

Yeah I have to agree.. for old school bands, they're pretty good.

Of course, men usually have good musical taste.. the subgroup of Britney Boppers are of course mutually exclusive.

JGB
25-02-2005, 09:55 AM

Great tastes!!! All classics, as for Billy, he is just a god! :) (just don't go telling my mates that I post here :uhoh: )

Libby
25-02-2005, 10:01 AM

I tipped this response! (Given your concert selections elsewhere.)

I told hubby he would get support here after I sledged him (left out Dire Straits & Genesis BTW).

OK - they're OK. Some of the stuff is excellent and I am a bit of a songwriter/lyricist fan so there's plenty there to commend them. It's just a little on the boring side for me and I'm probably more likely to listen to a more Aussie range. I have lots of Paul Kelly, Hunters & Collectors and Weddings, Parties, Anything in the collection too.

But I can dredge up Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo, Flock of Seagulls, Human League, Kids in the Kitchen and Adam Ant if I delve into my High School singles collection. :eek:

Trent Parker
25-02-2005, 10:19 AM
a Pink CD

Correction.... the colour of the CD is pink. Its actually "beautiful" - Garbage.

antichrist
25-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Hit me with a cattle prod if I am ever going to attend a party put on by chess folk.

Paul S
25-02-2005, 11:36 PM
I tipped this response! (Given your concert selections elsewhere.)

Hi Libby

Having paid off my home loan last year (and being still single) I decided once I paid off my home loan that I would "make up for lost time" and attend as many concerts as I could.

So far this year I've been to 3 already! And I will be seeing Neil Diamond in about 2 weeks time! At the moment I'm undecided as to whether or not I should see Peter Frampton and/or Missy Higgins.

Anyway, here are the 3 concerts I have seen so far in 2005.........

Marcia Hines
Saw her at the StateTheatre (a majestic venue). Was good value - it cost me about $61 for my seat. She is a whole hearted performer, and she looks good for her age - it was hard to believe she is in her 50s - she seemed about 35. Nonetheless, she does a bit too many cover songs for my liking - and it was a bit strange hearing her sing "I Will Survive" after I heard the original artist (Gloria Gaynor) sing it a few months ago.Still, all in all, a big "thumbs up" for Marcia!

Rod Stewart
What a legend. Saw him on Sunday at the Homebush Superdome. Its hard to believe he is 60....as they say....60 is the new 40 these days! He went for about 3 hours. Cost me about $120, but well worth the money. A class act!

Blondie
Saw Blondie at the Opera House on Thursday night. I hadn't been to the Opera house for years - it was like going back to the 70s when I was there (ie the architecture/decor etc). Meand my friend decided to give the support band "Cops" a miss and spent the time instead sipping some sparkling wine ("Chandon") in an open air part of the Opera House overlooking the Harbour. Even at night-time Sydney Harbour is great (and the Opera House is a prime location). Anyway, as far as Blondie is concerned, I was a bit disappointed (as my ticket was from memory about $135). She sang a few of her classics (eg Rapture and my favourite Union City Blues), but most of the show was on her lesser known songs - I was disapointed I did not get to hear songs like In the Flesh, Island of Lost Souls and Denis (Mr Jessop, what do you think of Blondie's song Denis?!?!).

Alan Shore
07-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey.. I think this song is awesome.. and this guy is not a professional yet.. can I get some feedback?

Star Salzman - Back in Time (http://starblast.org/starsongs/crapintime.mp3)

(either click link to listen or right-click and save as to load onto your comp).

Paul S
13-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Saw Neil Diamond ealier today at Homebush Superdome.

I saw him 2 or 3 times in the mid 90's, but was a bit reluctant to see him this time, due to his age - he is now 64! However, was glad a friend talked me into going to see him. He was great! I now have to rethink my thoughts on "how old is too old for pop singers"! His show earlier today was even better than the ones I saw in the mid 90s (and those mid 90's concerts of his were damn good concerts - as one would expect from someone of his stature).

He sang most of his great hits......Crunchy Granola Suite, Solitary Man, Cherry Cherry, Shilo, Red Red Wine, I'm a Believer, Sweet Caroline, Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show, Cracklin' Rosie, Desiree, September Morn etc etc. His voice was great and he went for over two hours without a break - not bad for someone of 64!

Prices were quite reasonable too - $60 for "ordinary" seats and $99 for "premium" seats (I had a $60 seat).

I've been to quite a few concerts over the years, and this one would definitely be in my all time top 5. Its hard to describe what it was like to people who weren't there, but suffice to say that Neil Diamond is a class act!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul S
20-03-2005, 10:34 PM
More on my Neil Diamond concert of last Sunday 13/3/05..........

I consider it to be the second best all time concert I have been to.

Some factors that I think helped a lot (apart from what I mentioned in my original post)...........
1) A friend of mine (who works as an usher at the Sydney Entertainment Centre) some time ago told me that "if a performer is playing for more than one night, its best not to see them on the first night, as there are nearly always problems with the acoustics on the first night". 13/3/05 was the last night of Neil Diamond's 3 concerts and the acoustics that night were just great (so it seems that any "bugs" in the first two nights were ironed out for the last night).
2) His band consisted of about 12 to 14 members (and some of them have been touring with him since 1975 - or longer!)! The large size of the band meant a large selection of musical instruments, allowing for greater subtlety (eg 2 drummers, but one with normal drums and one with Conga drums) and range in the sound. The sound of the band was brilliant - a CD could not do justice to their live sound!
3) Neil Diamond is renowned for his rappore with his audience and his "singing for everybody". Every 15 minutes or so during his songs he would walk along the back of the stage for a minute or so singing directly to the people on the sides and backstage (BTW, I was backstage). He values all his audience whether they be in front row seats, in the bleachers or backstage. He is the best artist I have come across for making his audience feel special and welcomed. One comment on his "Love at the Greek" album (recorded at LA's intimate 2000 to 3000 capacity outdoor the Greek Theatre) probably says it all............ when referring to those people getting a free view of his concert (those getting a free view of his concert by climbing up large trees) said something like "I sing for everybody........hey tree people, I'm singing for you too"!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
21-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I believe Neil Diamond is noted for a firm stance on keeping the prices to his concerts down for the fans - unlike other artists of similar fame who will charge several hundred dollars for best seats.

antichrist
21-03-2005, 12:50 AM
I believe Neil Diamond is noted for a firm stance on keeping the prices to his concerts down for the fans - unlike other artists of similar fame who will charge several hundred dollars for best seats.

Now I know why PaulS goes. So he ought to, he has not put out any decent material for about 30 years! And he is unlikely to again.

Libby
21-03-2005, 10:08 AM
I vividly remember a Christmas - many, many moons ago - when my father received a gift of the "Hot August Night" album.

My Grandmother had purchased it, I believe on my mother's instructions.

I believe I remember the occasion because my Grandmother was so affronted by the posturing in the cover photo and the "long hair." It all seemed very risque as a consequence (I was young remember).

It is an interesting experience, as you get older :( to discover your children find your own (for their time) radical music tastes so passe.

It makes me view very suspiciously the commentators who lament the youth of today and the wickedness of low-rise hipsters. The actual examples may change but the "wowser" sentiment (and angst-ridden rebellion) is easily transplanted into the 50s 60s 70s etc.

arosar
21-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Interesting.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4543332

More here: http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/

AR

antichrist
21-03-2005, 02:16 PM
LIbby
If I make a comment will I be "bumping" you? They reakon I am "bumping" Bill?

Anyway the best bumping music is Ravi Shankar, his first album exposed to the West as far as I know, circa 1967/8, after Beatles episode.

Paul S
24-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Found it hard to get to sleep tonight, so thought I would type up a report on the Missy Higgins concert I attended recently and post it here (and on a couple of other internet chat forums that I frequent)……………………………..

Saw Missy Higgins in concert at the Enmore Theatre on Monday (18/4/05). Venue was a bit run down, but nonetheless it had a certain charm and a pleasant atmosphere.

Got to the venue a few minutes late (advertised start time was 7.40pm) only to find that Missy Higgins was not going to appear until 9.20pm! I was a bit annoyed as I had rushed my dinner and I also wanted to get home reasonably early (had to go to work the next day!).

Anyway, I decided that I would try to enjoy the support acts, Sydneysider Lior followed by Canadian Serena Ryder (neither of whom I had heard of before!) who both seemed to be in their early 20s. As it turned out they were quite good (although perhaps a little overly melancholic) and original (they wrote and sung their own songs – something I appreciate in an artist) and sang solo (no place to hide!). Even got to hear a Hebrew prayer song (Lior) and an anti George Bush song (Serena Ryder – BTW Serena has a great voice and sounds a lot like her fellow Canadian Alanis Morrissette)! Got to briefly talk with both of them later in the night (at the souvenir booth) and I ended up buying a copy of each of their latest CDs Autumn Flow (Lior) and Unlikely Emergency (Serena Ryder) which they autographed (they seemed delighted that someone of my age bought their CDs!).

Time passed quickly and Missy Higgins came out as scheduled at 9.20pm. She gave an excellent performance and showed herself to be very talented (writes her own songs, good voice and can play both guitar and piano with ease). She sounds better in concert than on her CD (The Sound of White) which is a sign of a good performer. I have no doubt that she will become one of the all-time greats of Australian music. She sang for about 1.5 hours - a bit less than the 2 to 3 hours I am used to with artists like Elton John, Neil Diamond etc, but as Missy Higgins is only 22 it is understandable that she doesn’t as yet have as many songs to sing as the likes of Elton John and Neil Diamond. Besides I got to see 2 good support acts and the cost was only $44.40 (excellent value for money – and considerably cheaper than the $60 to $169 that I have paid for concerts that I have attended over the last 2 years – I suspect that Missy Higgins has taken a leaf out of Neil Diamond’s book by making her concerts affordable to as many people as possible).

Felt a little strange being one of the oldest (at 41) people attending the concert (most concerts I attend the age range is 30 to 70), but I had a good time and enjoyed myself and I look forward to attending more Missy Higgins concerts in the future! Well done Missy (and Lior and Serena)! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rincewind
25-04-2005, 04:14 AM
(To lower the tone from pop music to poetry here is a short poem I read every ANZAC Day. Before I start let me say I intend no disrespect to those who have died in service of Australia, and I treasure the liberty they defended in just conflicts. It is anti-war not anti-soldier.)

Ode XIII

I hate that drum's dischordant sound,
Parading round, and round, and round:
To thoughtless youth it pleasure yields,
And lures from cities and from fields,
To sell their liberty for charms
Of tawdry lace, and glittering arms;
And when Ambition's voice commands,
To march and fight, and fall, in foreign lands.

I hate that drum's dischordant sound,
Parading round, and round, and round:
To me it talks of ravaged plains,
And burning towns, and ruined swains,
And mangled limbs, and dying groans,
And widows' tears, and orphans' moans;
And all that Misery's hand bestows
To fill the catalogue of human woes.

- John Scott of Amwell (1730-1783)

firegoat7
25-04-2005, 04:37 AM
RW,

What the hell is a swain?

Cheers Fg7

firegoat7
25-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Felt a little strange being one of the oldest (at 41) people attending the concert (most concerts I attend the age range is 30 to 70), but I had a good time and enjoyed myself and I look forward to attending more Missy Higgins concerts in the future! Well done Missy (and Lior and Serena)! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What the hell is wrong with you Sydneysiders? Who on earth would admit this publically? Don't tell me u luv Delta aswell?

As for Missy Iggens, well I finks she woz betta in My fairs laydee.

Cheers Fg7

Recherché
25-04-2005, 07:48 AM
What the hell is a swain?

In this context, I'd say it meant peasant/farmer.

Rincewind
25-04-2005, 10:46 AM
In this context, I'd say it meant peasant/farmer.

A swain is a rustic, used a fair bit in poetry but not much besides. In that line I always thought he was alluding to the farms more than the farmers. But that is just my interpretation.

arosar
25-04-2005, 07:14 PM
FMD! All this Anzac Day business brings a bit of a tear to me eye. My fave scene is that one in Iraq where the British forces joined the Aussies in their ceremonies. But the best thing about it was seeing the Japanese commander take part as well.

And what did we fellas do today? Play chess at the park of course.

AR

ursogr8
25-04-2005, 07:27 PM
A swain is a rustic, used a fair bit in poetry but not much besides. In that line I always thought he was alluding to the farms more than the farmers. But that is just my interpretation.

Your original question came as a total surprise to me Baz.
I expected you to know of the nautical association. :uhoh: ;)

starter

Ian Rout
28-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Not sure if anyone has reported this one before, or even if I have and then forgotten and rediscovered it - last night I saw a video clip of "Sourtimes" (spelt as all one word on the credits) by Portishead (ditto).

Near the start of the video a man sits alone at a chess board which is the right way round and has what looks like a legal and fairly sensible position (though both sides have been a little careless about King safety) and makes the move ...Qa7-g1+. Not the strongest move since it allows and in fact forces Kh1xg1.

The scene changes before he releases the piece and he is subsequently shot with some industrial-grade weaponry. In a later scene another man (I couldn't work out if he was an associate, an investigator, an assassin or none of the above but had a feeling he was maybe an investigator) surveys almost the same position with the Queen back on a7.

The other difference is that Black's King has moved from b8 to a8. This may be an error in setting the position or an indication that he changed his mind and played ...Kb8-a8 instead (or someone else played it). Pretty subtle if it's the second. In any event, while it's possible that he was executed for breaching the touch-move rule it's more likely it was for impersonating a chess player, since ...Nf5-g3+ would have forked K on h1 and Q on e2.

Anybody know about this video, or about the song or group? (I hadn't heard of either that I recall).

Rincewind
28-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Anybody know about this video, or about the song or group? (I hadn't heard of either that I recall).

Portishead get a bit of airtime on triple J so I have heard of them but I can't recall this song by name. I avoid music video so am unlikely to have seen the clip.

I was listening to probably their best known song Glory Box, on the way into work this morning.

Rincewind
28-04-2005, 01:48 PM
According to a fan site it is "Sour Times" (two words) c.1994. Here are the lyrics...

To pretend no one can find
The fallacies of morning rose
Forbidden fruit, hidden eyes
Curtises that I despise in me
Take a ride, take a shot now

Cos nobody loves me
It's true
Not like you do

Covered by the blind belief
That fantasies of sinful screens
Bear the facts, assume the dye
End the vows no need to lie, enjoy
Take a ride, take a shot now

Who oo am I, what and why
Cos all I have left is my memories of yesterday
Ohh these sour times

After time the bitter taste
Of innocence decent or race
Scattered seeds, buried lives
Mysteries of our disguise revolve
Circumstance will decide

Cos nobody loves me
It's true
Not like you
Nobody loves me
It's true
Not like you do

WhiteElephant
29-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I hear Tom Cruise is going out with Katie Holmes. There is something not quite right about that.

Rincewind
29-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I hear Tom Cruise is going out with Katie Holmes. There is something not quite right about that.

While anyone wanting to go out with Tom Cruise is a bit of a mystery to me too. I'm but sure what you're getting at. If it is the 15-or-so years age difference, Katie is late twenties and should be old enough to look after herself in that regard. Tom is early 40s and so in his prime. ;)

Edit: But it does remind me the next film in SBS's Kubrick season is Lolita. This Wednesday, 10pm. This does have a (tenuous) chess link too as the novels Lolita and The Defence were both written by Vlad Nabokov.

WhiteElephant
29-04-2005, 07:12 PM
While anyone wanting to go out with Tom Cruise is a bit of a mystery to me too. I'm but sure what you're getting at. If it is the 15-or-so years age difference, Katie is late twenties and should be old enough to look after herself in that regard. Tom is early 40s and so in his prime. ;)

Edit: But it does remind me the next film in SBS's Kubrick season is Lolita. This Wednesday, 10pm. This does have a (tenuous) chess link too as the novels Lolita and The Defence were both written by Vlad Nabokov.

It's like, Tom Cruise is the sleazy womaniser of the past 20 years, Katie is the cute, innocent girl from Dawson's Creek.

I haven't seen Kubrick's Lolita but I loved the novel and the black and white film version. Nabokov is a fantastic writer.

Rincewind
29-04-2005, 07:22 PM
It's like, Tom Cruise is the sleazy womaniser of the past 20 years, Katie is the cute, innocent girl from Dawson's Creek.

Never seen Dawsons Creek.

I haven't seen Kubrick's Lolita but I loved the novel and the black and white film version. Nabokov is a fantastic writer.

Kubrick's IS the B&W version. The colour 1997 production (with Jeremy Irons) was directed by Adrian Lyne. Not a bad film but I prefer Kubricks for a number of reasons. Not least of which is the performance of Peter Sellars.

arosar
29-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Youse blokes should read the book. Way better than both Lolita films. Also if this sorta thing turns you on, check out A Death in Venice.

AR

WhiteElephant
29-04-2005, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=Rincewind]Never seen Dawsons Creek.

Kubrick's IS the B&W version. QUOTE]

Yes, sorry you are right.

I recently saw 2001: A Space Odyssey which I found slow and dull, and The Shining, which I thought was excellent.

Rincewind
29-04-2005, 08:01 PM
I recently saw 2001: A Space Odyssey which I found slow and dull,

:( (I like this movie quite a bit.)

and The Shining, which I thought was excellent.

:)

I think both of these have already been screened on SBS. Not sure what is left for them to show of Kubrick's feature works but it might be: Dr Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut (also Sparticus, although this might not be on the schedule at all).

WhiteElephant
29-04-2005, 08:27 PM
:( (I like this movie quite a bit.)

Aaah...that's interesting...what did you like about it?

I guess there are a lot of similarities between The Shining and 2001....both set in remote locations, gradual build up of tension, etc. But for some reason as I watched The Shining I felt a sense of pure horror and evil coming from the movie; 2001 tried to do the same but didn't quite deliver. Maybe I have become desensitised to the computer-taking-over-the-world plot.

I think both of these have already been screened on SBS. Not sure what is left for them to show of Kubrick's feature works but it might be: Dr Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut (also Sparticus, although this might not be on the schedule at all.

I seem to remember Eyes Wide Shut being screened on one of the major networks but I may be mistaken. I imagine it would have been censored to death.

Rincewind
30-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Aaah...that's interesting...what did you like about it?

Where do I start? The epic scale of the story, the music, the way it depicts the granduer of space. The issue of intelligence what it is, whether it can be manufactured and the ethical implications is common to a lot of my favourite films (e.g. Bladerunner, also I Robot and AI but to lesser degrees).

I guess there are a lot of similarities between The Shining and 2001....both set in remote locations, gradual build up of tension, etc. But for some reason as I watched The Shining I felt a sense of pure horror and evil coming from the movie; 2001 tried to do the same but didn't quite deliver. Maybe I have become desensitised to the computer-taking-over-the-world plot.

The suspenseful part of 2001 I guess has similarities but I haven't seen the Shining for some time and need to watch again. I wouldn't have thought of comparing the two though, the same director but different goals.

Perhaps you expressed yourself poorly when you described 2001 as a "computer-taking-over-the-world plot" because to do so I think really misses the epic scale of the storyline. Have you read the book?

I seem to remember Eyes Wide Shut being screened on one of the major networks but I may be mistaken. I imagine it would have been censored to death.

Perhaps less than you think. I've never seen it screened on TV but with what I have seen on SBS late at night I don't think too much of Eyes Wide Shut would cross that line. I really think it is a great movie too, dealing with a theme that not many others do integrity. (But I am a self-confessed Kubrick fan).

WhiteElephant
30-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Where do I start? The epic scale of the story, the music, the way it depicts the granduer of space. The issue of intelligence what it is, whether it can be manufactured and the ethical implications is common to a lot of my favourite films (e.g. Bladerunner, also I Robot and AI but to lesser degrees).

I can see what you are getting at. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by I Robot, a great adaptation.

Perhaps you expressed yourself poorly when you described 2001 as a "computer-taking-over-the-world plot" because to do so I think really misses the epic scale of the storyline. Have you read the book?

I actually expressed precisely what I was thinking....there have been so many simplistic evil-computer stories that when I came to large-scale artistic epic such as 2001, I was swayed by my dislike of the lesser copycats. Maybe I need to watch it again? Haven't read the book, but would like to.

Perhaps less than you think. I've never seen it screened on TV but with what I have seen on SBS late at night I don't think too much of Eyes Wide Shut would cross that line. I really think it is a great movie too, dealing with a theme that not many others do integrity. (But I am a self-confessed Kubrick fan).

I seem to have a love-hate relationship with Kubrick movies. Loved Eyes Wide Shut (which was absolutely savaged by the critics) Hated A Clockwork Orange. Go figure. :cool:

arosar
05-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Missy Higgins on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4628877

AR

arosar
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
www.bluenote.com

and listen to some fine jazz online.

AR

Ian Rout
11-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Film alert for Foxtel subscribers - the "Showtime Greats" channel has "Searching for Bobby Fischer" (distributed as "Innocent Moves" in some jurisdictions) this month. Of course we now know he's in Iceland, but they didn't know where he was at the time. The next two screenings are 10:30pm on 12th and 8:20am on 13th.

Also Showtime is screening "23 Days of Fear", the story of the Washington snipers who used to play chess in between snipings, so there is a possibility that chess will be depicted, though not in a positive light.

auriga
13-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Film alert for Foxtel subscribers - the "Showtime Greats" channel has "Searching for Bobby Fischer" (distributed as "Innocent Moves" in some jurisdictions) this month. Of course we now know he's in Iceland, but they didn't know where he was at the time. The next two screenings are 10:30pm on 12th and 8:20am on 13th.

Also Showtime is screening "23 Days of Fear", the story of the Washington snipers who used to play chess in between snipings, so there is a possibility that chess will be depicted, though not in a positive light.

yep, saw the the movie listed this morning 8.20 on movie greats.

there was program listed on espn a few weeks back called 'world class chess'. was on about 2am or so. i forgot to watch (i can't use video recorder) so wasn't sure what was about.

arosar
24-05-2005, 09:57 PM
FREE MP3 downloads here: http://www.jazztimes.com/

AR

Duff McKagan
25-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Saw "TEAM AMERICA" the funniest movie I have seen in years!! The claw hammer had me literally incapacitated ROTFL. and the cats tearing gore out of puppets necks was priceless.

Read some reviews that said it was hawkish and some said dovish. But both were wrong because it was simply smack in the face funny dumping sh.. on every side.

Five stars and two thumbs up.

Cheers

PS still laughting. :lol:

Mischa
18-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Who can tell me....What other shows did the makers of the original Thunderbirds make?
I know....

Rincewind
19-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Who can tell me....What other shows did the makers of the original Thunderbirds make?
I know....

Gerry Anderson was the mastermind of the original Thunderbirds TV show. He also made

Stingray
Captain Scarlet
UFO
Space:1999
Jo 90
Supercar
Fireball XL5

As a kid I was a big fan of Captain Scarlet and Space:1999.

Mischa
19-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Whereas I adored fireball XL5...he made one other.....(I think it was him anyway)

Bill Gletsos
19-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Gerry Anderson was the mastermind of the original Thunderbirds TV show. He also made

Stingray
Captain Scarlet
UFO
Space:1999
Jo 90
Supercar
Fireball XL5

As a kid I was a big fan of Captain Scarlet and Space:1999.He also did The Protectors and Terrahawks.
In the 90's he did Space Precinct.

He is currently producing a new version of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons called simply Captain Scarlet. It involves CGI instead of puppets. It has started airing this year in the UK.

BTW Ed Bishop who played Cmdr. Ed Straker and Michael Billington who played Col. Paul Foster in UFO both died earlier this month.

Mischa
19-06-2005, 04:48 PM
He also did Torchy the Battery Boy

Rincewind
19-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Torchy, Torchy
Torchy, Torchy the little battery boy
I 'm a clever walking talking toy
With bright blue eyes and golden hair
I've a magic beam that can shine anywhere

Torchy, Torchy the little battery boy
Torchy, Torchy the battery boy
I 'm a walking talking toy
Press my switch see my bulb start to gleam
It's the most magic light you'll have seen
Torchy, Torchy

Mischa
19-06-2005, 05:02 PM
I might have known you'd know....:)

arosar
30-06-2005, 04:48 PM
bump

AR

arosar
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
New from Blue Note, Amos Lee. Get the CD. "Arms of a Woman" knocked me out.

AR

Spiny Norman
05-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I am writing from the slightly chilly Victorian countryside where I am spending a much-needed week away from work. Thus far I have amused myself by:

- visiting Rushworth last Sunday to play some casual 10-minute games against the good folks from Bendigo chess club. I took the family with me, so that Jared (12) could participate. We walked in unannounced and Jared was immediately offered a game, which he accepted with alacrity. 4 moves into the game (a Sicilian defence) Jared's opponent called out "We've got a live one here!" and enquired where he had learned to play chess, as "you don't learn to play like this at school". All was soon revealed and I found myself playing a bunch of games, including two against our own "ElevatorEscapee". EE beat me 2/2, including one interesting game where he played the King's Gambit and I played the "Fischer" variation (1.e4 e5 2.d4 exf4 3.Nf3 d6 4.Bc4 h6). I managed a fair position out of the opening, sacced a piece for 2 pawns and tried to get a pawn roller going against his King. But it was not to be, and I got caught in a withering cross-fire from his bishops that raked my position and forced a lovely checkmate. (Beautifully played EE!)

- visiting Bendigo yesterday to do some shopping. Returned with two books:

1) Fred Hoyle - a life in science (by Simon Mitton). Got stuck into this yesterday evening, and finished it off this morning as I sat and toasted my toes in front of the wood fire. Great read ... gave me a good insight into the life of one of the world's leading astronomers.

2) The Mammoth Book of the World's Greatest Chess Games (by John Nunn, Graham Burgess and John Emms). 112 of the most exciting, influential, instructive and historically significant chess games. This is probably the most thoroughly annotated book I have yet found, and is also interesting because of the short bio's of the players that appear that the beginning of each game. From "The Immortal" to Deep Blue's first win over Kasparov in 1996, I think this will soon become one of my favourites.

What of tomorrow? I plan on visiting Bendigo Chess Club with Jared, plus perhaps a movie or two (War of the Worlds is on the cards I think).

Cheers all,

Steve

rob
13-07-2005, 02:23 PM
The Vicar of Dibley is now available (ABC shop) in a complete set of DVD's. It contains all episodes from the 3 series plus the Christmas specials - 614 minutes for $70.95 I reckon that is good value for one of the top English comedies.

Nat and I are not too similar to Alice & Hugo :hmm:

Spiny Norman
14-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Lastest reading effort (post holidays):

"The Fixer" ... biography of fmr Senator Graham Richardson, the "Senator for Kneecaps".

arosar
09-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Just saw "Ong Bak". What a film! Awesome chase scenes. It comes in 2 DVDs. The second being extras, behind the scenes stuff. The best fight movie in yonks.

AR

four four two
09-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Did this film get a cinema release in Sydney? :hmm: In Melbourne it screened at the Lumiere,a small independant cinema which unfortunately closed recently in Melbourne.The Lumiere was also the first cinema to show the japanese version of The Ring in Melbourne, as well as the korean film Old boy. ;)

Alan Shore
17-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey jenni, I saw Serenity. And I thought it sucked (my friends seemed to like it). But I suppose that's cos I hadn't seen any episodes of Firefly... and never really watched Buffy either.

Hey.. the character you said was likened to me kicked the bucket... aww... but I guess he was pretty cool.

Rincewind
17-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Just saw "Ong Bak". What a film! Awesome chase scenes. It comes in 2 DVDs. The second being extras, behind the scenes stuff. The best fight movie in yonks.

Have you seen House of Flying Daggers? The cinematography in that was great. Good fight scenes and special effects too. Story was a bit unbelievable and corny but still touching in the end due to the raw beauty of the filming.

arosar
17-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Have you seen House of Flying Daggers? The cinematography in that was great. Good fight scenes and special effects too. Story was a bit unbelievable and corny but still touching in the end due to the raw beauty of the filming.

Yes, yes! Great movie that. Funny how I seem to overlook these movies. Then when I decide to see them cos there's nothing else available, I am so surprised by how good they actually are. I thought Ong Bak was all just a C-grade type movie. But it's very well done.

AR

arosar
17-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey jenni, I saw Serenity. And I thought it sucked (my friends seemed to like it).

I saw it yesterday. I quite liked it.

Funny cos the story about the Howard government's proposed new Anti-terror laws hit the headlines on the weekend. It's the one that they tried desperately to "hide" - giving the Senate only 1 week of scrutiny. The plot in Serenity had some resonance, with me anyway.

AR

Alan Shore
17-10-2005, 01:39 PM

HFD was really nice, but I liked Hero even better... the ending really resonated with me.

four four two
17-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Belthasar I hope you are aware that Hero copped some flak both in China and outside for its polictical subtext.The unity theme was considered as communist party appeasement/propaganda. I like martial arts films,just prefer them without pandering to oppresive regimes . :whistle:

jenni
17-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey jenni, I saw Serenity. And I thought it sucked (my friends seemed to like it). But I suppose that's cos I hadn't seen any episodes of Firefly... and never really watched Buffy either.

Hey.. the character you said was likened to me kicked the bucket... aww... but I guess he was pretty cool.

It isn't for everyone. It has bombed big time in the USA, but was no 1 in the UK - I guess it appeals to English sense of humour and not American.

I liked the characters and humour and felt it left Stars 1, 2 and 3 for dead. (although not the original trilogy).

Gareth borrowed the original Firefly DVD from a friend and I have to admit I slept through the first episode (we were watching at about 1am, but it just didn't grab me). However I got talked into watching episode 5 by Tony and Gareth and really liked it and then went back and watched the rest.

Rincewind
17-10-2005, 05:21 PM
HFD was really nice, but I liked Hero even better... the ending really resonated with me.

Ignoring the political subtext for the moment I thought Hero was a well made film but not as good as the hype surrounding it. It didn't seem to flow as well as HFD. Although Hero may have been more thought provoking I didn't find it as truthful in its climax. I feel like I'm not explaining myself very well but I am having trouble finding the right words. In short, Hero was good but HFD was IMHO better (and breathtakingly beautiful). :)

jenni
17-10-2005, 05:50 PM
I saw it yesterday. I quite liked it.

Funny cos the story about the Howard government's proposed new Anti-terror laws hit the headlines on the weekend. It's the one that they tried desperately to "hide" - giving the Senate only 1 week of scrutiny. The plot in Serenity had some resonance, with me anyway.

AR
Did you know Canberra's premier put the text of the laws onto the internet? He felt the people needed to know what was being proposed...

I liked Serenity - it was the same old plot - valiant band battling super Government villains, but they were so dysfunctional that it brought a level of freshness to the plot.

Did you like my pick of Jayne's character for Matt?

PHAT
17-10-2005, 06:28 PM

?!?!?!?!?

Now I will have to get Serenity to see what kind of comment this is.

jenni
17-10-2005, 08:09 PM
?!?!?!?!?

Now I will have to get Serenity to see what kind of comment this is.

Can't wait. :)

Alan Shore
17-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Can't wait. :)

You probably just loved it how River delivered smackdown on him, right? ;)

arosar
17-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Did you know Canberra's premier put the text of the laws onto the internet? He felt the people needed to know what was being proposed...

And he did the right thing. In a free and democratic state the citizenry are entitled to be informed - in good time. The Howard government's behaviour is a complete disgrace.

AR

jenni
17-10-2005, 09:28 PM
And he did the right thing. In a free and democratic state the citizenry are entitled to be informed - in good time. The Howard government's behaviour is a complete disgrace.

AR

Quite so.

jenni
17-10-2005, 09:29 PM
You probably just loved it how River delivered smackdown on him, right? ;)
:lol: You can see why I wanted to be River - just need to lose 40 years and the same amount of kgs.

four four two
08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Came across an interesting web site today, called Am I annoying.com .

You can vote for people randomly or make a specific search.They have all types of people listed,from WGM Kosteniuk to Tom Gleisner[The Panel,D-Generation]. They let you have about 20 consecutive votes before temporarily stopping you from voting. ;)

arosar
12-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Is anyone watching this new Transformers series on Ch 10 on Sat mornings? My god! Absolutely beautiful! Brings back memories.

AR

four four two
26-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Mr Miyagi/Arnold from Happy Days,aka Pat Morita, has passed away at the age of 73. "Wax on,wax off". :sad:

arosar
28-12-2005, 01:37 PM
King Kong. Awesome CG. The brontosaurus chase scene is one of the best in cinema history. And how about those giant centipedes (I think they were centipedes)? I was sitting there squirming in my friggin' seat!

AR

Davidflude
29-12-2005, 01:00 PM
KB

Is the movie based on the famous German book "The Tin drum"

WhiteElephant
29-12-2005, 01:43 PM
King Kong. Awesome CG. The brontosaurus chase scene is one of the best in cinema history. And how about those giant centipedes (I think they were centipedes)? I was sitting there squirming in my friggin' seat!

AR

Exactly right. One of the best movies I've seen for a long time. Very rare to find an excellent blend between brilliant action scenes and thought provoking plot & dialogue.

Yeah AR, those centipedes/ spiders/ cockroaches had me shivering and 2 girls in my row screaming with fright. And what about those natives...man those guys were scary.

Watto
06-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Yeah, King Kong was great. Really enjoyed it.

Naomi Watts superb in the role. Not sure anyone could have done it better.

Couldn't help feeling a bit wistful about Narnia (not a bad film, but lots of room for improvement). Wish Peter Jackson had got his hands on that...

arosar
06-01-2006, 09:47 AM
I did cry in Narnia though, I must admit.

AR

ursogr8
20-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Just finished reading Moneyball by Michael Lewis.

starter

PHAT
12-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I liked Serenity - it was the same old plot - valiant band battling super Government villains, but they were so dysfunctional that it brought a level of freshness to the plot.

I just saw the movie.

"Jayne Cobb seems to be a pretty mysterious guy. Not much is known about him or his past. ... Jayne, simply, works for whoever pays him the most at the time. ... Above all Jayne is a fighter, he's skillful with a gun in his hand, or any other weapon really. Fists work too."

:eek:

bergil
12-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Just finished reading Moneyball by Michael Lewis.

starter
Why am I to note your reading a baseball book?

jase
12-02-2006, 11:47 PM
I am a bit slow onto this thread, so forgive any semblance of a montage ...

Just watched Control Room (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391024/)on DVD. It's a look at Al Jazeera's reporting of the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq. It's a very balanced film, incredible footage, and includes some great one-liners, mostly unintentional, from the likes of Rumsfeld and al-Sahaf (aka Baghdad Bob, the Iraqi Information Minister).

It's the best doco I've seen since DiG! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388888/), a great musical doco about the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre (who? watch the film - you'll groove, you'll laugh, you'll wince).

Which was the best doco I'd seen since Lost in La Mancha (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308514/), which was the best I'd seen since ... :P

In my experience there isn't a whole lot of cross-pollination between the chess crowd and the arts mob, so I may be out on a limb, even among the Sydney mob, when I ask who saw what during the Sydney Festival. I was in Brisvegas for half of it, but did get back in time to see
- Jazz in the Domain. Awesome gig featuring the New Orleans sound
- The Andersen Project. Clever and poignant
- The Bright Abyss. Magic. Created by James Thieree, who is Chaplin's grandson.

Davidflude
15-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Has anyone been to see the play that is on in Melbourne. I saw a movie of it yonks ago so know the plot. It has been getting rave reviews.

Rincewind
26-02-2006, 07:36 PM
GITS2 (http://www.madman.com.au/reelanime/gits2.jsp) is (was recently) touring cinemas in Australia at the moment and I went to see it at UoW who screened 1 and 2 as a double feature last Friday night. Although GITS1 is an anime classic I hadn't seen either of them and so was looking forward to both films and I wasn't disappointed. I thought the stories in both were complex enough to maintain interest and even explored interestnig angles of the themes of individuality and AI. Neither story resolves into the neat box you might expect from a Hollywood production but is complete enough and I thought the end of GITS2 was surprising and surprisingly satisfying.

As for contrasts between the two films, GITS1 was the story of the Major whereas 2 was the story of Batou. GITS2 made (more) use of CGI for rendering scenery, some of which looked to be purely for "wow" effect. The door bell in the grocery store and the scene of the highly posished car driving at night were both memorable. However animated characters were done the traditional way in both and the basset hound in GITS2 was done particularly well.

In short, if you get the opportunity to see GITS2 in a cinema I suggest you take it.

jenni
28-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I just saw the movie.

Did you like it? The series it is based on (Firefly) is actually much better. It was canned by Fox, after 1 season, which is almost a sure indication of quality. :D

PHAT
28-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Did you like it? The series it is based on (Firefly) is actually much better. It was canned by Fox, after 1 season, which is almost a sure indication of quality. :D

Like it? It was OK. I am hard to please. There were a few funny lines, the odd twist. A formulaic family movie, I think. Some would extole about the movie.

As for the characters, you might see me as a Jayne, but I feel like a River.:eek:

jenni
28-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Like it? It was OK. I am hard to please. There were a few funny lines, the odd twist. A formulaic family movie, I think. Some would extole about the movie.

As for the characters, you might see me as a Jayne, but I feel like a River.:eek:
Sorry River is my character - or at least after I deal with chess people I feel like her. :eek:

As I said Firefly was really good, but given it was cancelled Serenity was better than nothing.

arosar
28-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Hostel.

Jesus Christ this movie's disgusting. I had to walk out!

AR

WhiteElephant
28-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Hostel.

Jesus Christ this movie's disgusting. I had to walk out!

AR

I've been hanging out to see that. Love Tarantino, those episodes of CSI he directed were excellent.

Do you mean disgusting as in too violent, sort of like Sin City?

arosar
28-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I've been hanging out to see that. Love Tarantino, those episodes of CSI he directed were excellent.

Do you mean disgusting as in too violent, sort of like Sin City?

Mate, just go and see it. I saw Irreversible a coupla years back and that was bad too, though I didn't walk out but a lot of people did.

Hostel is freaky. I'm sitting there mumbling to myself saying how violent it was.

AR

qpawn
02-03-2006, 06:06 PM
My favourite films:

1. rear window .
That last scene rocks when the door handle turns! And isn't it so clever that he falls out the window and breaks the other leg!

2. The bad seed.
Feel the inherited evil in the woman protagonist! Hear the final gunshot as she ends it all!

3. When the bough breaks.
To be honest, I only watched the las 20 minutes when I flicked on the TV one night! :lol: But that alone makes it great! wHEN that woman detective goes down the trapdoor, finds all the bodyparts and is caught by the sicko, man that is one hell of a scene! And then the fight/escape sequence!

4. Kapo
About a young girl's struggles in a concentration camp. A gutsy film that's brutally honest - after the inmates are culled one of them throws herself across an electric fence.

Films I hate:

1. Bicentennial Man: Robin Williams is a robot who tries to understand fart jokes. Enough said.

2. Firefox. I saw this in 1982 and fell asleep. Absolutely boring. If Clint's best film is The good , the bad and the ugly then this was easily the worst.

IMO films are unwatchable on TV now; the intrusibve ads scrolling on the screen wreck any immersion.

PHAT
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
IMO films are unwatchable on TV now; the intrusibve ads scrolling on the screen wreck any immersion.

I you need great visual to get your rocks off, I s'pose you never read books. :uhoh:

qpawn
02-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I read astronomy mafgazines and chess books :D

I just read John Emms' "Simple Chess". Good stuff in it about pawn complexes etc but a bit of a slog.

Davidflude
02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I you need great visual to get your rocks off, I s'pose you never read books. :uhoh:

James Lee Burke "Last car to Elysian Fields" very USA crime book

Alafair Burke "Close Case" daughter of James. She can write tough prose just like her father

Michael Connelly "A darkness more than night" another US thriller.

I have just started Martha Grimes "Belle Ruin"

Davidflude
02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Here is my list of action movies

Director John Boorman "Point Blank" I am having trouble finding the DVD maybe because the censors chopped it to bits in Australia. I saw it overseas. Lee Marvin was sensational

Director Don Siegal "Charlie Varrick" Walter Matthau is a small time bank robber who accidentally steals a heap of mob money. He even tries to give it back.

Director "John Luc Godard" "Breathless" (I cannot remember the French title" )
jump cuts and Jerry Lee Lewis music.

Director Sam Peckinpah "The Wild Bunch" the full tilt uncut version.

Director Arther Penn "Bonnie and Clyde"

Director Sergio Leone "Once Upon a time in America." Make sure that you hire the restored full length version. It was hacked for cinema release by the studio.

arosar
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Bettye Lavette (http://www.bettyelavette.com/).

AR

Rincewind
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Augie March's new CD came out today. It's good!

Rincewind
12-03-2006, 09:42 AM
The following website is great for fossil lovers.

http://3dmuseum.geology.ucdavis.edu/frame.html

four four two
17-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Thought I would drag this thread back up...Have you seen the film 24hr party people White elephant?:hmm:

Great film about the late 70's/ early 80's Manchester music scene...ala The Factory record label and the Hacienda club. Its spot on for the most part...and Steve Coogan is an absolute classic.:D

This is easily Michael Winterbottom's best movie.

WhiteElephant
17-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Thought I would drag this thread back up...Have you seen the film 24hr party people White elephant?:hmm:

Great film about the late 70's/ early 80's Manchester music scene...ala The Factory record label and the Hacienda club. Its spot on for the most part...and Steve Coogan is an absolute classic.:D

This is easily Michael Winterbottom's best movie.

No, I hadn't heard of it. Sounds like I'd enjoy it, might check it out on video.

Actually last time I was at Blockbuster, they had The Party with Peter Sellers (one of the great movies of all time in my opinion) playing on screens around the place. Groups of teenagers were standing around transfixed, laughing like crazy, obviously seeing Peter Sellers for the first time. That guy is timeless.

I stood around and watched some of the scenes. Saw his search for toilet paper and the scene where he presses all the buttons and makes the bar retract into the wall. Great stuff.

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I'd just like to pay tribute to a very great songwriter, Grant McLennan of the Go-Betweens, who died in his sleep yesterday aged only 48. I saw them just last year for the first time as a full band and they were excellent. I had seen Grant do a solo show back in about '94 (his set consisted almost entirely of material from his then-unreleased Horsebreaker Star, and ran into him by chance in Battery Point the next day. Went out near the peak of his powers as the reformed Go-Betweens were really on a roll creatively but had he lived I am sure he would have kept making great music for decades. RIP.

Lucena
31-05-2006, 11:07 PM
This one will no doubt be a must-see for you Peter: http://www.theomenmovie.com/en/index.html

four four two
31-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Nudge,Nudge.

Man: 'Evening, squire!
Squire: (stiffly) Good evening.

Man: Is, uh,...Is your wife a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?

Squire: I, uh, I beg your pardon?

Man: Your, uh, your wife, does she go, eh, does she go, eh?

Squire: (flustered) Well, she sometimes "goes", yes.

Man: Aaaaaaaah bet she does, I bet she does, say no more, say no more, knowwhatahmean, nudge nudge?

Squire: (confused) I'm afraid I don't quite follow you.

Man: Follow me. Follow me. That's good, that's good! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Squire: Are you, uh,...are you selling something?

Man: SELLING! Very good, very good! Ay? Ay? Ay? (pause) Oooh! Ya wicked Ay! Wicked Ay! Oooh hooh! Say No MORE!

Squire: Well, I, uh....

Man: Is, your uh, is your wife a sport, ay?

Squire: Um, she likes sport, yes!

Man: I bet she does, I bet she does!

Squire: As a matter of fact she's very fond of cricket.

Man: 'Oo isn't? Likes games, eh? Knew she would. Likes games, eh? She's been around a bit, been around?

Squire: She has traveled, yes. She's from Scarsdale. (pause)

Man: SAY NO MORE!!

Man: Scarsdale, saynomore, saynomore, saynomore, squire!

Squire: I wasn't going to!

Man: Oh! Well, never mind. Dib dib? Is your uh, is your wife interested in....photography, ay? "Photographs, ay", he asked him knowlingly?

Squire: Photography?

Man: Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?

Squire: Holiday snaps, eh?

Man: They could be, they could be taken on holiday. Candid, you know, CANDID photography?

Squire: No, no I'm afraid we don't have a camera.

Man: Oh. (leeringly) Still, mooooooh, ay? Mwoohohohohoo, ay? Hohohohohoho, ay?

Squire: Look... are you insinuating something?

Man: Oh, no, no, no...yes.

Squire: Well?

Man: Well, you're a man of the world, squire.

Squire: Yes...

Man: I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh.... You've "done it"....

Squire: What do you mean?

Man: Well, I mean like,....you've SLEPT, with a lady....

Squire: Yes....

Man: What's it like?

:lol: :clap:

Basil
31-05-2006, 11:27 PM

The payout depends on how much of that was from memory or a cut and paste job.

Pays both ways - just talking price here.

four four two
31-05-2006, 11:36 PM

The payout depends on how much of that was from memory or a cut and paste job.

Pays both ways - just talking price here.

Well I remembered most of the lines ...but buggered if I was going to type it!:lol:

Basil
31-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Well I remembered most of the lines ...but buggered if I was going to type it!:lol:

OK tote pays

$1 HCDs for the willingness to contribute some madness.
$45 HCDs for that particular sketch
$3 HCDs for the trouble of getting the text
$5 HCDs for honesty

That's paying a total of $54 HCDs right there, folks.

WhiteElephant
31-05-2006, 11:43 PM
That's brilliant. Sounds familiar, where's it from?

Basil
31-05-2006, 11:44 PM
That's brilliant. Sounds familiar, where's it from?
Python

WhiteElephant
31-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Python

I suspected that. Been so long since I rented out any of their stuff. Not much humour comes close these days.

Basil
31-05-2006, 11:51 PM
I suspected that. Been so long since I rented out any of their stuff. Not much humour comes close these days.

Funny stuff. These jokers pull it off well. They is well batty. More rubbish from Berg on the Shoutbox. Had to pay the same.

Gareth. You appear to be responsible for this!

WhiteElephant
31-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Funny stuff. These jokers pull it off well. They is well batty. More rubbish from Berg on the Shoutbox. Had to pay the same.

You are right, Ali G is pretty damn good too.

bergil
01-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :P

Lucena
01-06-2006, 12:39 AM

What have I got to do with it? :snooty: Don't look at me! It's Monty's fault!:whistle:

bergil
01-06-2006, 12:48 AM
What have I got to do with it? :snooty: Don't look at me! It's Monty's fault!:whistle:
Oh alright but we are still looking at you. :eek:

Alan Shore
01-06-2006, 01:24 AM

'When me got back from Ireland, me Nan said to me, "Ali, you must have balls the size of oranges". And I said you know what, I do. But luckily, me know a lot of woman, who like the taste, of orange juice. Aiiiiiiii.'

bergil
01-06-2006, 01:40 AM
'When me got back from Ireland, me Nan said to me, "Ali, you must have balls the size of oranges". And I said you know what, I do. But luckily, me know a lot of woman, who like the taste, of orange juice. Aiiiiiiii.'
Respect!

four four two
24-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Here is an interesting video....

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/chinese-dance-p1.php

bergil
24-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Has anyone read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts? What a story and its all true! If you haven't then here is the fact file from his web site to give you an idea of what the book is about.

Born June, 1952, Melbourne, Australia

* Founder member, Anarchist People’s Liberation Army, 1969

* Union activist, Builders Labourers Federation, 1972

* Founder member, Australian Independence Movement, United Front Against Fascism, 1973

* Student Leader, Melbourne University, occupation of university Council Chambers, 1974

* Student Leader, Black Week Aboriginal Activism Movement, 1975

* Marriage break-up, loss of daughter in custody dispute, beginning of heroin addiction, 1976

* Armed robberies with toy pistol to support heroin habit, end year 1977

* Capture and imprisonment, 1978; Escape from Maximum Security Pentridge prison, 1980

* Helped by motorcycle gang, BLF Union, & revolutionaries to escape to New Zealand, 1980

* Fight conservation campaign to save sacred Maori mountain, Mount Maungahiha, 1981

* Escape from custody (twice) in New Zealand, end 1981

* Arrive in India, beginning 1982

FROM 1982 to 1990

* Six months in remote Maharashtrian village, learn to speak Marathi language

* Live in Bombay slum, establish and operate free clinic for slum dwellers

* Imprisoned in India for 4 months

* Recruited by Bombay mafia, training in currency crime, gold smuggling, passports

* Gunrunning operation to unit of mujaheddin fighters in Afghanistan

* Wounded in action, evacuated to Pakistan, recover and return to Bombay

* Appointed controller mafia forgery unit, write short stories, published in popular series

* Passport smuggler to Nigeria, Zaire, Iraq, Iran, Mauritius, Sri Lanka

* Establish casting agency for foreign extras in Bollywood movies, act in movies

* Arrive in Germany, work as singer, establish rock band, receive recording contract

* Manhunt by European police, escape custody in Italy & Switzerland, escape to India

* Act in Bollywood movies & TV dramas, establish travel agency in Bombay

* Passport smuggling to Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Nigeria, Zaire, Mauritius, etc.

* Break with Bombay mafia council, freelance drug smuggling missions to Europe

FROM 1990 to 2004

* Captured Frankfurt, 1990, imprisoned in Preungesheim prison with terrorists, 1990-91

* Teach myself to read & write German, win concessions, extradited to Australia, end 1991

* 2 years solitary confinement, 4 years mainstream prison in Australia, begin novel, 1991-97

* Develop philosophical and cosmoogical model, "Resolution Theory"

* Released from prison, begin novel 1997, end parole 2002

* Sell rights Shantaram, in USA (St. Martin’s Press) & UK (TimeWarner Books UK)

* Publish Australian edition of novel, Shantaram, August, 2003

* Tour Australia, New Zealand, Europe, UK, Ireland, Hong Kong during 2004

* Sell movie rights to Johnny Depp, Brad Grey, Graham King, Warner Brothers, October 2004

* Sell Italian Translation rights to Neri Pozza, October 2004

* Begin writing screenplay for movie version of Shantaram, October 2004

ChessWizard
26-06-2006, 10:41 PM
i will read that book oneday when i get time it seems like a good book

Dozy
27-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Has anyone read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts? What a story and its all true! If you haven't then here is the fact file from his web site to give you an idea of what the book is about.

Born June, 1952, Melbourne, Australia

* Founder member, Anarchist People’s Liberation Army, 1969

* Union activist, Builders Labourers Federation, 1972

* Founder member, Australian Independence Movement, United Front Against Fascism, 1973

* Student Leader, Melbourne University, occupation of university Council Chambers, 1974

Matt who?

four four two
28-06-2006, 03:44 PM
George Bush...the rocker.;) ...

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/321327

four four two
28-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Feel the Force....:D ....

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/content.php?id=6026&name=6026_cops.swf&title=Cops%20-%20In%20TV%20land&date=1151467200&quality=b&uj=0&w=500&h=310

four four two
29-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Here's an interesting story from the BBC....

Graceland visit for Elvis' biggest fan
By Philippa Fogarty
BBC News

Summits between US President George W Bush and Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi always attract a great deal of attention.
But while their talks on Thursday in Washington will be duly noted and reported, it is day two of the visit that most people are waiting for.

Mr Bush and Mr Koizumi are going to Graceland. :D

In what is widely seen as a thank you gesture to an outgoing ally, the US president is escorting Mr Koizumi to Memphis, Tennessee, where the two men will become the first sitting heads of state to tour the home of rock and roll legend Elvis Presley.

It is a gesture that will delight Mr Koizumi, known both at home and abroad as a huge Elvis fan. He has sung his songs to world leaders, sung duets with celebrities and even released a CD of his favourite classics.

"I love Elvis," he told the 5,000 strong Elvis Presley Fan Club in Tokyo in 2001. "I never get tired of listening to his songs no matter how many times I hear them."

Mr Koizumi's enthusiasm for Elvis dates from his childhood. He says the first English song he ever learned was "I Want You, I Love You, I Need You".

It is something he shares with his younger brother, Masaya, now senior advisor to the Tokyo fan club. In 1987, the two brothers helped finance the construction of a statue of Elvis which now stands in central Tokyo's Harajuku district.

And in 2001, just a few months after taking office, Mr Koizumi released a CD of personally selected Elvis classics.

Mr Koizumi and his brother have helped to preserve Elvis' legacy

The CD included 25 of his favourite songs and featured a computer-generated cover photo of the two men together, plus comments from the prime minister about each song he had chosen.

It stormed its way up the Japanese charts, reaching number eight in its first week of sales. All 200,000 copies of the limited edition release were sold.

Sales went so well partly because of Mr Koizumi's popularity - a coffee table book of photographs of him released around the same time sold equally fast - but also because a great many Japanese people share their leader's liking for Elvis.

No karaoke bar would be complete without a selection of Elvis classics for patrons to attempt, and no office party would be over before the boss had crooned "Love Me Tender".

Japan is also the second biggest market in Asia after Australia for sales of Elvis music.

"Everybody knows who Elvis is," says Takuya Matsuyama of BMG Japan. "There are a lot of fans who are over 40, but the number of younger fans is increasing too. Lots of musicians say they like Elvis, so young people want to check him out."

The country hosts two sizeable fan clubs and a number of smaller ones. Every Sunday, a group of Elvis look-alikes gather in Tokyo's Yoyogi Park to dance along to classic hits blasting from a loud-speaker in front of anyone who cares to watch.

"Elvis sang rock, ballads, gospel - he has all kinds of styles, so he can have all kinds of fans," says Mr Matsuyama.

And of the prime minister's widely-reported love of Elvis?

"When Mr Koizumi became prime minister, he was really popular," he said. "At that time a lot of people who hadn't listened to Elvis' songs decided to give it a try."

Forging ties

So Mr Koizumi's taste in music is certainly not out of place at home. It may even have helped win him votes.

The public appreciates the fact that he loves music, said Haruo Shimada, professor of economics at Keio University and special economic adviser to Mr Koizumi.

DID YOU KNOW...?

Elvis and Koizumi share a birthday of 8 January
Lisa Marie Presley got married in Japan in January 2006
Koizumi once sang an Elvis song with Tom Cruise

"It is a relief for people to know that the prime minister is a fan of music, like public people," he said. "It creates a perception that he is close to the people on the street, unlike usual prime ministers who talk about tax and interest rates."

On the world stage, a very public hobby might have had a role in forging important diplomatic friendships. When he first met Mr Bush in 2001, Mr Koizumi is said to have treated his US counterpart to a selection of Elvis songs karaoke-style, at his farm in Texas.

On one occasion, at a formal dinner, he reportedly impressed Condoleezza Rice with his knowledge of US rock lyrics. And in Australia, he and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer are said to have sung along to Elvis at an official dinner.

Now the Japanese prime minister, who says he will step down in September, has been offered the chance to visit the home of his hero.

Following in the footsteps of notable visitors such as former US President Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, U2 and Ozzy Osborne, Mr Koizumi will have the chance to see rooms where Elvis lived, as well as his stage costumes and his awards.

"We are very excited and honoured to welcome Prime Minister Koizumi to Graceland and to have the opportunity to express to him in person our great appreciation for all the wonderful things he has said about Elvis Presley through the years," said Todd Morgan, of Elvis Presley Enterprises.

four four two
09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
What a combo!....http://www.fugly.com/videos/4751/Chain_Reaction.html

four four two
09-07-2006, 01:52 AM
The bad old days...http://www.fugly.com/videos/3399/banned_flinstones1.html

four four two
09-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Need I say more?...http://www.fugly.com/videos/2530/merrychristmas.html

four four two
16-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Be patient and watch this till the end...

http://www.fugly.com/videos/4306/cyril-correct-card.html

Alan Shore
16-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Can someone recommend a good book? I recently tried to read Ulysses but it's just a mystification of ancient prose to me.

WhiteElephant
16-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Can someone recommend a good book? I recently tried to read Ulysses but it's just a mystification of ancient prose to me.

Hehe we studied Ulysses in my Masters literature class and no one could get through the first 100 pages. You are doing well if you can read even one page without falling asleep.

Try:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
Anything by Jack London - The Sea Wolf, Martin Eden, etc

Couple of old favourites (in case you haven't read them):
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

ElevatorEscapee
16-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Can someone recommend a good book? ...

I have read very many books that I have enjoyed Belthy.

What do you want the book to do? Make you laugh, think, entertain you? :)

Alan Shore
17-07-2006, 04:01 AM
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
Anything by Jack London - The Sea Wolf, Martin Eden, etc

Couple of old favourites (in case you haven't read them):
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

They sound good, WE. I'm told Catcher is really good, however I know what happens at the end of the book, so.. don't know if it's as worthwhile reading it.

I have read very many books that I have enjoyed Belthy.
What do you want the book to do? Make you laugh, think, entertain you?

I don't mind the odd paperback trash if it's entertaining, but generally prefer the books with substance but humourous books wouldn't go astray. I recently tried Tad Williams, it started out interestingly enough but just couldn't really get into it.

Some recent books I've read are The Agenda by Bob Woodward, The Running Man and The Long Walk by Stephen King, Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

Carl Gorka
17-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Catch-22 is funny if you can get into it. The Dice Man is an amazing read:eek: , and on the fantasy genre, I've recently read a set of books by Sean Williams that are pretty good. Still, if you want a couple of heavy tearjerkers, then go for Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, or The Remains of the Day by Kazio Ishiguro (Spelling?)

Desmond
17-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Some recent books I've read are The Agenda by Bob Woodward, The Running Man and The Long Walk by Stephen King, Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

The Long Walk is one of King's best IMO. Gerald's Game is another good one that never got too much publicity. My very favourite of his is The Eye of the Dragon.

WhiteElephant
17-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Here's something NOT to read. Polgara the Sorcesress, which is a prequel to David Eddings' Belgariad, which I consider to be the greatest fantasy series of all time. In his later works, David Eddings collaborates with his wife Leigh, who has no writng ability whatsoever, and you can clearly see the difference between chapters written by David and chapters witten by Leigh. I am half way through Polgara at the moment and it is a shocker, mosty written by Leigh, I imagine - cliched characters, desultory conversations, no sense of the magic which you expect from a fantasy novel.

Desmond
17-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Here's something NOT to read. Polgara the Sorcesress, which is a prequel to David Eddings' Belgariad, which I consider to be the greatest fantasy series of all time. In his later works, David Eddings collaborates with his wife Leigh, who has no writng ability whatsoever, and you can clearly see the difference between chapters written by David and chapters witten by Leigh. I am half way through Polgara at the moment and it is a shocker, mosty written by Leigh, I imagine - cliched characters, desultory conversations, no sense of the magic which you expect from a fantasy novel.
Agreed. Read the Belgariad, and throw the rest of Eddings in the bin.

Desmond
17-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Has anyone read the Harry Potter series? I'm almost finished the latest book, which I have to say is the most interesting to date. Looking forward to the next one, which is pegged to be the final installment.

Alan Shore
17-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Catch-22 is funny if you can get into it. The Dice Man is an amazing read:eek: , and on the fantasy genre, I've recently read a set of books by Sean Williams that are pretty good. Still, if you want a couple of heavy tearjerkers, then go for Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, or The Remains of the Day by Kazio Ishiguro (Spelling?)

Have read Catch-22: probably one of my all-time favourites. :)

I've also read Birdsong but I preferred All Quiet on the Western Front.

Just read a review of Dice Man, sounds interesting.

Alan Shore
17-07-2006, 03:38 PM

OMG, I read the Belgariad and the Malloreon which were pretty good, Belgarath the Sorcerer was not bad too but Polgara the Sorceress was THE WORST fantasy book I've ever read! What utter shite.

Has anyone read the Harry Potter series? I'm almost finished the latest book, which I have to say is the most interesting to date. Looking forward to the next one, which is pegged to be the final installment.

Of course, I love Harry Potter. Books 3 and 4 were my favourite, 6 is much better than 5 (which is like a teenage version of The OC, lol).

I really liked Dragonlance and the Magician series by Feist too.

There's also a really good fantasy series by an Australian writer, Martin Middleton called The Living Tower Trilogy (Hawkethorne Tower, Wolfesbaine Tower and Knightshade Tower).

Rincewind
18-07-2006, 06:59 AM

I just finished Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad and think I will read it again. It deserves to be read more quickly than I did the first time. The following passage is from it...

I remained to dream the nightmare out to the end, and to show my loyalty to Kurtz once more. Destiny. My destiny! Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of unextinguishable regrets. I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an inpalpable greyness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid scepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary.

Alan Shore
18-07-2006, 07:16 AM
^

That passage alone makes it sound interesting enough to read, but I've also seen it listed in various top 100 books of the 20th century lists and you've given me good recommendations in the past too.

Rincewind
18-07-2006, 07:45 AM
That passage alone makes it sound interesting enough to read, but I've also seen it listed in various top 100 books of the 20th century lists and you've given me good recommendations in the past too.

It is a recommendation coming second hand. If you enjoy it, be sure to thank Mischa.

four four two
21-07-2006, 12:54 AM
This is pretty cool...http://www.fugly.com/videos/4394/animation-music-animusic.html

Desmond
26-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Of course, I love Harry Potter. Books 3 and 4 were my favourite, 6 is much better than 5 (which is like a teenage version of The OC, lol).
Have finished the latest Harry Potter now. I'm inclined to agree with you that 5 was a bit of a flop; 3,4 and 6 are the best 3 IMO.

Have started a new Pratchett, "A Hat full of sky". WIll let you know how that one goes.

four four two
03-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Goats...Sweden...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6225869.stm

four four two
08-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Arguably the most interesting news story today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6425927.stm

Axiom
08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Arguably the most interesting news story today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6425927.stm
no conspiracy there,yet ;) nor here ,how interesting is this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/06/nmod106.xml

Axiom
08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Have read Catch-22: probably one of my all-time favourites. :)

I've also read Birdsong but I preferred All Quiet on the Western Front.

Just read a review of Dice Man, sounds interesting.
The Dice Man - the most life changing book of fiction i have ever read .

Desmond
08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Have started a new Pratchett, "A Hat full of sky". WIll let you know how that one goes.Finished this ages ago ... up to Pratchett's usual excellent standard.

Desmond
08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
The Dice Man - the most life changing book of fiction i have ever read .I had you pegged for a "catcher in the rye" guy for sure ;)

bergil
08-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Finished this ages ago ... up to Pratchett's usual excellent standard.

Audio interview with Pratchett:
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200702/r126598_413397.asx

Axiom
08-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I had you pegged for a "catcher in the rye" guy for sure ;)
so, you were wryly caught out ! :)

Desmond
08-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Audio interview with Pratchett:
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200702/r126598_413397.asxThanks for the link, just listened to it. Very interesting man, obviously highly intelligent. Has a voice for writing too.

littlesprout85
20-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Right Onz :)

A Great thread that sprouty frequents alot here at chesschats.

Lets see - the latest movie that sprouty has added to his collection is the Warriors :D

This Film was released in 1979 and sortly after the release to movie theatres- it was banned- for the real street gangs started rioting and looting the cities here stateside. Ahh the good old days :whistle:

This Film the Warriors was a big hit and sprout feels its right up in the top ten movies of all timez.(Logans Run - Mad Max - Apocolypse Now - Shining - Fast times at Ridgemont High - The Lost Boys- Young Guns 2- Enter The Dragon)

-Sprout :)

bergil
20-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Lets see - the latest movie that sprouty has added to his collection is the Warriors :D

This Film was released in 1979 and sortly after the release to movie theatres- it was banned- for the real street gangs started rioting and looting the cities here stateside. Ahh the good old days :whistle:

This Film the Warriors was a big hit and sprout feels its right up in the top ten movies of all timez.(Logans Run - Mad Max - Apocolypse Now - Shining - Fast times at Ridgemont High - The Lost Boys- Young Guns 2- Enter The Dragon)

-Sprout :)WTF? :eek:

I agree with you Ax about Zulu and the life of Brian :clap:

Axiom
20-03-2007, 09:11 PM

This Film the Warriors was a big hit and sprout feels its right up in the top ten movies of all timez.(Logans Run - Mad Max - Apocolypse Now - Shining - Fast times at Ridgemont High - The Lost Boys- Young Guns 2- Enter The Dragon) -Sprout :)

im with you on logans run and fast times,........but must add my all time classics:-
born free
brazil
if
zulu
clockwork orange
life of brian
holy grail
the wicker man

i recently observed a comon theme here, one of 'freedom' and the fight and eternal struggle to attain it (albeit some through the use of cathartic humour) , and the forces that stand in its way. I guess this is a common recurring theme in art, but why in particular ,these films had such a powerful effect on me ? i suppose it could be a revealing insight into one's self reflective mind........and it also could be largely dependant upon generation,conditioning and culture.:doh:

littlesprout85
21-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Also would like to add that Star Wars & the CreepShow round out the top ten . Going to the movies back then when those movies were released was like in itself a movie. The Lines for Star Wars were weeks long & the movie was well worth the wait.CreepShow just luv the Raft scene in a big theatre - I BEAT YOU - AUGHHHH !!!!! :owned:

four four two
21-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Young Guns 2?:hmm: What the hell?:lol:

What about Rear Window,Dog day afternoon,Raging Bull,Goodfellas,Blue Velvet,Dr Strangelove or The Exorcist?

The best movie Emillio Estevez was ever in was Repo Man...:clap:

littlesprout85
27-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Wohooooo - This is the News the Sprout has been waiting Long- long Timez For - Yes - Back By Big Demands - The ones who throw the biggest Balls - all the Way From The Land Down Underz-YAY!!! #1 Welcome AC/DC back on World Tour :D

Join da sprout and goto www.acdcrocks.com - its their real official site where you can get all the latest info, This site has changed from when sprouty was blogging none stop for about a year. Looks like its now paying off ;) -but now the site doesnt have the boards or chat rooms- ermmm not even seeing the timeline or the Concert tour info Grrrr - will keep U all up on this Breaking News event ;)

Trent Parker
29-03-2007, 02:11 AM
saw Wild Hogs on the weekend...... very funny. laughed a hellovalot.

Bereaved
30-03-2007, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I saw Hot Fuzz, on Tuesday, and really enjoyed it, very off beat Black humour,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

littlesprout85
04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Sprouty is all like checking the rock info here for 07 so far - Black Sabbath is coming to concert. Got the Police coming but sold Out :S
Errmmmmm also sprout sees that Jethro Tull is coming too. 38 Special and Foreigner just played last weekend. Got the Pink Floyd Laser Light Show next week. Really nothing to Ground shaking here this Year. Really the open road and the Big Waters are Calling da Sprout. The Heat is going to be unbarable here in a month :S

-Sprout85 :)

four four two
24-04-2007, 02:22 PM
The death of Yeltsin isnt the news story of the day,this is.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6584229.stm

So what can I say?...maybe this will help....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxS8toqwXN0&mode=related&search=

Then there is this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ&NR=1

littlesprout85
27-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Here is a site for only the true "Shining" fans here at chesschats - www.timberlinelodge.com

This is the home site for the hotel in the movie and has all the outside shots of the hotel from this season. Sprouty finds this site very interesting,along with the movie which the sprout watches nightly too fall asleep too. :eek:

zigzag
28-04-2007, 09:38 AM
The passing of a great musician.:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6598895.stm

littlesprout85
28-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Sprouty just got back from garage sailing and a rare find has appeared :rolleyes:

Its the complete tv series of "Kung Fu". This series was made in 1972 and bruce Lee tryed out for the star role.Which by the way the star has to do the stunts themselves(no stunt doubles):eh:

Bruce Lee kinda over did the demo when he broke out his bag-o-tricks(num-chucks)-scaring the director along with the producer :eek:

Da Sprout really thinks that kung fu is a great western as well as a great karate show. The first two are full length movies (90 min)

WhiteElephant
28-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Sprouty just got back from garage sailing and a rare find has appeared :rolleyes:

Its the complete tv series of "Kung Fu". This series was made in 1972 and bruce Lee tryed out for the star role.Which by the way the star has to do the stunts themselves(no stunt doubles):eh:

Bruce Lee kinda over did the demo when he broke out his bag-o-tricks(num-chucks)-scaring the director along with the producer :eek:

Da Sprout really thinks that kung fu is a great western as well as a great karate show. The first two are full length movies (90 min)

Hi Sprout,

I love that show! I recently watched the dvds of the first season and half of the second season from my video library, but unfortunately they didn't have the rest of the episodes! :( The second season is when the show started getting really good. When I was growing up in the 80s, Kung Fu repeats used to screen at 11pm and I would sneak into the lounge room to watch after my parents had gone to bed.

zigzag
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
For Russell crowe...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6614479.stm

zigzag
17-05-2007, 12:11 PM
And the americans wonder why they have gun problems.:rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6662213.stm

littlesprout85
17-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Right Onz !!!

Sprouty is back onz this tread once again with his movie selection of the week. This weeks Movie that sprout has found is a true classic,Easy Rider - Imfao :o

Easy Rider is a must see movie for all generations. it is the open road in a true sense of the word. Looking to party. only to be blown away in the deep south.

Sprout just finally found this movie on vhs and has it in da closet now.

Sprouty :)

zigzag
29-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Imagine how many bye elections we would have if this started here.:whistle:

Japanese minister kills himself

Toshikatsu Matsuoka was embroiled in a financial scandal
Japan's Agriculture Minister Toshikatsu Matsuoka has died in hospital after apparently committing suicide.
The 62-year-old was found hanged in his Tokyo apartment hours before he was to face questions in parliament over his links to a political funding scandal.

Opposition MPs had been calling for his resignation over unexplained expenses.

PM Shinzo Abe expressed regret over the news saying he was conscious of his "responsibility as prime minister, and as the one who appointed him".

"The effects on the cabinet will be great," Mr Abe added as he went to attend a wake for the deceased minister late on Monday.

Mr Matsuoka was found unconscious in his flat around lunchtime on Monday. Efforts to resuscitate him at hospital failed.

Police said he had hanged himself, but refused to comment on reports in the Japanese press that he had left a number of suicide notes in his apartment.

It is the first time a Japanese cabinet minister has killed himself since World War II, when the army minister committed suicide on news of Japan's surrender.

Funding questions

Mr Matsuoka was embroiled in two political scandals, though he denied any wrong-doing.

He had allegedly claimed more than 28m yen ($236,600; £118,300) in utility fees at his parliamentary office, where utility costs are free.

It was also alleged that he had received electoral campaign donations from a businessman linked to a bid-rigging scandal.

Mr Abe had vigorously defended his minister, often against the advice of some within his own party, saying he had fulfilled his legal responsibilities.

The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says Mr Matsuoka's death is another blow for Mr Abe's government.

Even before news of Mr Matsuoka's death emerged, opinion polls published on Monday suggested support for Mr Abe's administration was already at the lowest point since he took office eight months ago.

Desmond
29-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Saw the new Pirates of the Caribean last night - very good. About on par with the first two, which is a real achievement for a "third of" movie IMO.

arosar
29-05-2007, 01:47 PM
A must-see then eh?

I can't say the same for Spidey 3. Total disaster with too many villains, subplots and an inexplicable black goo. Plus the film was stuffed with too much cheese! How about that scene where Spidey swings across a US flag? I just about nearly vomitted! Some diehard Spidey fans actually even walked out of the cinema.

OTOH, I do recommend "The Page Turner".

AR

Desmond
29-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, Spidey 3 is a great example of a "third of" that stinks. Actually, I didn't completely hate it, but it is clearly worse than the first one (perhaps better than the second as well, depending on your opinion).

But, yes I'd recommend Pirates 3. Hey, not the greatest movie ever made, but certainly entertaining throughout.

WhiteElephant
01-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Just bought the Back to Black CD by Amy Winehouse. Love it. If you are into jazz check it out!

Rincewind
01-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, Spidey 3 is a great example of a "third of" that stinks. Actually, I didn't completely hate it, but it is clearly worse than the first one (perhaps better than the second as well, depending on your opinion).

But, yes I'd recommend Pirates 3. Hey, not the greatest movie ever made, but certainly entertaining throughout.

Has anyone seen Shrek 3?

WhiteElephant
02-06-2007, 12:31 AM

Just saw Pirates. Spent the first half of the movie hating it. Then when I stopped taking it too seriously I couldn't stop laughing. Totally ridiculous movie but does have entertainment value. What about that kinky scene at the end when Orlando Bloom takes off Keira Knightley's boot and starts licking her leg. What the!!!