PDA

View Full Version : A good club player wants help :)

MrSornia
03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Hi; I' m new here. I'm in England and have been playing properly for 8 years now. I'm BCF 108 (ELO approx 1800) but I can usually play better than that as I have a lot of experience of things. I read Teach yourself better chess before one season and it made me jump from 55 to 107 :eek: Which is an ELO jump of about 250-300 points, almost unheard of at top level Lol. I have a problem in consistency of form as I'm totally talentless but work really hard to get where I am. I'll show you a few of my best wins and losses, but one thing people say about me is i always get excellent piece coordination, though I'm very perfectionist with making best moves-my idea is that if I can play perfectly through the opening then not only does it increase pressure on the opponent, but if I do go wrong later, it's a fallback. Weaknesses other than thsi are clock control, handling the Sicilian (barely 33% score in 5 years) and endgames.

qpawn
04-02-2006, 10:11 AM
They are quite good games.

A few ways to handle the Sicillian [I assume you mean from the white side since in your games you replied to 1.e4 with e5.

[1] The aggro approach: 2.f4 [GM Mark Hebden's grandprix attack] or the morra gambit [d4 and c3]

But I don't think that this is your style based upon the games.

[2] A positional course:
The closed [slammed by theory I know] : Nc3 d3, g3 , Bg2, Ne2 etc. But it is a good line for someone like yourself who coordinates pieces well.

Or try 2. c4 [again all theory books will slam this move as premature and a weakening of the d4 square] This leads after d3 to a position that often arises in the English. I have played this kind of position a few times against Fritz8. It is a very gradual build up that will frustrate the daylights out of any wannabe Nadjorf or dragon player.

Another course is to play 1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Q x d4 !? The queen is not easily attacked and will find a good spot at the side of the board.

I will add in irony that I play neither e4 nor the sicillian. :D

Davidflude
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
"Chess for Tigers" is very likely to help your chess. It will certainly improve your tournament skills.

As far as the sicilian is concerned, there is so much theory in the main lines.
You might try the following line which is dealt with on Silman's web page.

1 e4 c5
2. Nc3 Nc6
3. g4 It has been played at Grandmaster level, is sound and there is very little theory. If black gets it wrong he winds up playing two tempi down in a closed sicilian. If he gets it right he winds up playing positions which are very different to normal sicilians.