PDA

View Full Version : Australian Championship Games

Pages : [1] 2

Garvinator
28-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I noticed that no one was chatting much on here about the aus championship games in the afternoon.

Thought I would just create a thread like I did for the juniors to aid discussion.

The live games link is www.*******2006.com/DGT/tfd.htm , as Bill has pointed out in the shoutbox, the uppercase for the letters DGT must be included, lower case wont work.

pballard
29-12-2005, 10:38 AM
I noticed that no one was chatting much on here about the aus championship games in the afternoon.

Thought I would just create a thread like I did for the juniors to aid discussion.

The live games link is www.*******2006.com/DGT/tfd.htm , as Bill has pointed out in the shoutbox, the uppercase for the letters DGT must be included, lower case wont work.

No championship games at that link - in fact, I can't find the games anywhere, live or otherwise.

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 10:44 AM
No championship games at that link - in fact, I can't find the games anywhere, live or otherwise.
at the moment you should be seeing seven junior games. Six from the u18 open and one from the u18 girls.

The championship is in the afternoon. Also the dgt part of the link mentioned MUST BE IN CAPITALS.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2005, 10:48 AM
No championship games at that link - in fact, I can't find the games anywhere, live or otherwise.You can download the pgn files by clicking on the Download PGN link at the foot of the pairing screen for each round.

Follow the instructions on this page http://www.*******2006.com/links2tmts.htm for details.

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 10:50 AM
You can download the pgn files by clicking on the Download PGN link at the foot of the pairing screen for each round.

Follow the instructions on this page http://www.*******2006.com/links2tmts.htm for details.
i thought pballard was talking about seeing the live games :hmm: will wait for pballard's reply.

faeces gambit
29-12-2005, 10:52 AM
The live boards look like they have frozen at the moment.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2005, 10:53 AM
i thought pballard was talking about seeing the live games :hmm: will wait for pballard's reply.Like you I wasnt sure if he was aware that the juniors were on in the morning and the championship in the afternoon.
Either way I went by his "or otherwise" comment so posted how he could get the previous rounds games.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2005, 10:56 AM
The live boards look like they have frozen at the moment.So it appears. Either that or they are all having a long think at the same time. ;)

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 10:58 AM
So it appears. Either that or they are all having a long think at the same time. ;)
that could be the case ;) but would also mean that they are getting free thinking time because clocks arent going down either :P

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 10:59 AM
The live boards look like they have frozen at the moment.
i am at home, so cant really help if it has frozen.

pballard
29-12-2005, 11:10 AM
You can download the pgn files by clicking on the Download PGN link at the foot of the pairing screen for each round.

The pgn files contain no moves.

Oepty
29-12-2005, 11:14 AM

Bill, as far as I can see although there is a PGN file available to be downloaded it does not contain any moves, just headers for the games.
Scott

pballard
29-12-2005, 11:20 AM
i thought pballard was talking about seeing the live games :hmm: will wait for pballard's reply.

I just want to see the championship games (and maybe some friends' games in the major). pgn is fine. Live is a nice bonus but usually I'm out enjoying summer.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2005, 01:45 PM

The live games link is www.*******2006.com/DGT/tfd.htm , as Bill has pointed out in the shoutbox, the uppercase for the letters DGT must be included, lower case wont work.The correct address now is http://www.*******2006.com/dgt/tfd.htm

They have now switched the /DGT/ to being /dgt/ and /DGT/ no longer works.

Watto
29-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I've managed to look at the games from the first round which were shown as live games- looking forward to this afternoon's...

But just wanting to clarify: has anyone been able to see the other ones? eg Moulthun Ly vs Wohl etc. So far when I've pressed on 'View Games' it's not worked. There's no game to see- all dressed up with the correct players names etc but no moves or result.

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 02:57 PM
There's no game to see- all dressed up with the correct players names etc but no moves or result.
That is because play hasnt started yet. It isnt even 3pm here yet. A few minutes to go.

Watto
29-12-2005, 03:02 PM
That is because play hasnt started yet. It isnt even 3pm here yet. A few minutes to go.

Thanks but you missed my point.

I'm talking specifically about Aust'n championship games which were played in round one (yesterday) but were not part of the half dozen or so live games.

If someone has played over lower board games from yesterday, below board 6 or 7 or whatever the cut off was for live games, I'd be grateful if they could let me know how they did that.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I've managed to look at the games from the first round which were shown as live games- looking forward to this afternoon's...

But just wanting to clarify: has anyone been able to see the other ones? eg Moulthun Ly vs Wohl etc. So far when I've pressed on 'View Games' it's not worked. There's no game to see- all dressed up with the correct players names etc but no moves or result.Yes, it appears the pgn file with the moves has not yet been posted to the website.

pballard
29-12-2005, 03:11 PM

But just wanting to clarify: has anyone been able to see the other ones? eg Moulthun Ly vs Wohl etc. So far when I've pressed on 'View Games' it's not worked. There's no game to see- all dressed up with the correct players names etc but no moves or result.

He meant the completed games (Ly-Wohl was round 1).

There are junior round 1 games for download at http://www.*******2006.com/games.html , but no senior games yet.

Watto
29-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes, it appears the pgn file with the moves has not yet been posted to the website.

He meant the completed games (Ly-Wohl was round 1).

There are junior round 1 games for download at http://www.*******2006.com/games.html , but no senior games yet.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Trent Parker
29-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Chess viewer for pgn now on website.

Ly - Wohl unreadable after 18 moves :angry: :(

pax
29-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

The round one games are now all available for download as PGN, or to be viewed in the Javascript applet on the website. There have been a few delays in getting the games up quickly, but hopefully the system will be streamlined a bit in the next couple of rounds.

If anyone notices any errors in the PGN viewer (such as the wrong game being displayed when you click on a particular result), please let me know by email: auschess@paxmans.net.

Thanks,

Jon Paxman
(remotely assisting the organisers with the website)

Trent Parker
29-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Solomon - Schmaltz draw

pballard
29-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

The round one games are now all available for download as PGN, or to be viewed in the Javascript applet on the website. There have been a few delays in getting the games up quickly, but hopefully the system will be streamlined a bit in the next couple of rounds.

From those of us who can't be in Brisbane... thank you, much appreciated.

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Wohl- Xie 1-0

pax
29-12-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks!

Of course it is also partly for my own benefit, as I am also unfortunately not in Brisbane :)

Watto
29-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Yes, thanks! :)

pax
29-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Moulthun Ly got himself into a horrible tangle in the opening and was comprehensively beaten by Zhao.

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Goldenberg-Booth 1-0

Garvinator
29-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Frame- Dougherty 0-1

bobby1972
29-12-2005, 07:47 PM
any results please

pballard
30-12-2005, 09:33 AM
any results please

As has already been mentioned I think, results, games etc at http://www.*******2006.com

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Frame- Dougherty 0-1

Strange game, I've just looked at it to see how our state champion is getting along. Dougherty did really well out of the opening but then played 20...Bd5?! which gives white rook and two pieces for queen, instead of 20...Bf5! which recovers the piece with a few pawns interest. White was probably winning around move 25 but tripped over trying to coordinate all the little bits against the queen, made a few errors and got outplayed. A closer affair than Nigel's round 1 game against Humphrey where he just got outplayed from the opening.

Watto
30-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Did anyone actually see the Johansen Solomon draw?

We're wondering down here in Melbourne how come Johansen agreed to a draw two pawns up? As far as we (well, gattaca) can make out, it's only double repetition so that doesn't seem to be the reason. I can see time was also not a problem if the clock is to be believed...

Cheers,
Watto.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Did anyone actually see the Johansen Solomon draw?

We're wondering down here in Melbourne how come Johansen agreed to a draw two pawns up? As far as we (well, gattaca) can make out, it's only double repetition so that doesn't seem to be the reason. I can see time was also not a problem if the clock is to be believed...

Cheers,
Watto.

Solomon to move has a triple rep with 46...Kg7 (same position occurred after 42 and 44) and could therefore claim it as drawn without playing any further moves on the board. But why Johansen allowed this to happen I have no idea at all.

Watto
30-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Solomon to move has a triple rep with 46...Kg7 (same position occurred after 42 and 44) and could therefore claim it as drawn without playing any further moves on the board. But why Johansen allowed this to happen I have no idea at all.

Ah... yes. The seemingly irrelevant series of knight checks probably confused the issue. Really bad luck for Johansen.

Garvinator
30-12-2005, 11:08 PM
this is correct.

Garvinator
30-12-2005, 11:54 PM
been wondering, what has happened to all the chat and thoughts about each game as they are being played. I remember quite a bit of discussion about mt buller games, but this year, there has been very little while the championship games have been going on.

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Could have something to do with the proportion of BBers who are playing in this tournament compared with at Mt Buller.

Kaitlin
31-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Im still here ..... and watching Michael and Angela playing now :)
... and I got ice-cream and oj getting cold ready for this afternon as we speak :D

pballard
31-12-2005, 01:04 PM
been wondering, what has happened to all the chat and thoughts about each game as they are being played. I remember quite a bit of discussion about mt buller games, but this year, there has been very little while the championship games have been going on.

It's a bit hard because game scores are slow to trickle through. The downloads on the website still only have round 1, at least for the seniors. (I realise organisers are probably busy, but games updates would certainly be welcomed).

For an interesting round 1 game, check out Obst's audacious king walk. With the opposite coloured bishops, it seems perfectly safe.

Garvinator
31-12-2005, 01:06 PM
It's a bit hard because game scores are slow to trickle through. The downloads on the website still only have round 1, at least for the seniors. (I realise organisers are probably busy, but games updates would certainly be welcomed).

For an interesting round 1 game, check out Obst's audacious king walk. With the opposite coloured bishops, it seems perfectly safe.
i meant more for the live games as they are occurring.

Watto
31-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Hi. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but if you go to http://www.*******2006.com/results.html
and click on championship, and then pairings and then click on the actual result for any game, you can play over all the championshiop games up to round 3.

The live games are great too.

pballard
31-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but if you go to http://www.*******2006.com/results.html
and click on championship, and then pairings and then click on the actual result for any game, you can play over all the championshiop games up to round 3.

You are correct. All previous rounds' games can be found at http://www.*******2006.com/results.html like you say. But http://www.*******2006.com/games.html (the "downloads" link from the front page) only has round 1. So the webmaster needs to fix some minor things, but it does look like the data is all there.

Trizza
31-12-2005, 06:46 PM
All the dgt games are now finished. Lane and Moylan did well to draw with black versus Chandler and Zhao, while Johansen's king got stuck in the middle against Smerdon. Even without queens, he was forced to drop material. A GM norm now a real possibility for David.

Anyone there got results for other championship games?

pballard
31-12-2005, 06:54 PM
All the dgt games are now finished. Lane and Moylan did well to draw with black versus Chandler and Zhao, while Johansen's king got stuck in the middle against Smerdon. Even without queens, he was forced to drop material. A GM norm now a real possibility for David.

So what's the story with Moylan-Zhao (assuming dgt is correct saying draw after move 24)? Looks to me a very unbalanced position... both too scared to play on?

Garvinator
31-12-2005, 07:00 PM
So what's the story with Moylan-Zhao (assuming dgt is correct saying draw after move 24)? Looks to me a very unbalanced position... both too scared to play on?
I just checked the scoresheets and move orders against the dgt display and the dgt display is correct. Result is a draw.

pax
31-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Moulthun got mated in the middle of the board by Q+B vs R+B(opp)+2P. Materially, it looks like it ought to be a draw, but on the board it was just impossible to see the black king getting to safety. And I suspect the opposite coloured bishop is more of a hindrance in that sort of position.

Big result for Laura with black vs Zhao.

And Smurf seems to be rolling all over these GMs (though he has had three whites). I guess the big matchup on Monday will be Chandler-Smerdon. It looks to me that a performance rating of about 2480 for the next five games will get him a GM norm.

Trizza
31-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Black had only 6 mins to white's 43, but white's compensation for the pawn seems a little nebulous. Maybe Zhao didn't want to risk it after the loss yesterday. Moylan would probably be satisfied with a black draw versus an IM, given her clock position.

Trizza
31-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Moulthun got mated in the middle of the board by Q+B vs R+B(opp)+2P. Materially, it looks like it ought to be a draw, but on the board it was just impossible to see the black king getting to safety. And I suspect the opposite coloured bishop is more of a hindrance in that sort of position.

When a king is exposed opposite coloured bishops are actually very good for the attacker (though having an unopposed queen also helps!).

pballard
31-12-2005, 09:58 PM
(Moved from Juniors thread).

Is there a rule about not resigning versus a Song?

Check out Raymond Song-Bird in Rd 4. Bird played on for seven moves after Song queened to go Q+R up (vs K+3P - it was clear the pawns weren't going anywhere). He appears to have resigned 3 moves from mate.

I've been known to play on longer than I should when I'm totally shell-shocked and can't believe I'm about to lose. Given that Raymond is - what? 11 - perhaps that's what happened there.

arosar
01-01-2006, 09:51 PM
I notice that downloadable PDF of bulletins are now available on the official site. They include analysis by Davidovic from the 2nd issue onwards. This is really very good service provided by the organisers - quite a big step from that bloody other tournament on some dump somewhere.

AR

ElevatorEscapee
02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I noticed that the DGT for the Sheldrick Duxbury game was quickly corrected.

I was watching it, initially it showed 1.e4 d5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Bc4 Qa5 (The last two moves left me scratching my head... why would White put the Bishop en prise, why wouldn't Black take it?).

It was just updated to the more believable line:
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.Bc4 c6
:D

Alan Shore
02-01-2006, 03:41 PM
And the boards have died yet again... :(

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Probably in disgust at being forced to relay five Sicilians on the top six boards. At least Ftacnik-Wohl is something different.

I've just had some apparently fresh moves on my screen, but is Sheldrick-Duxbury really still on move 6?

Actually it looks frozen from here too now - at moves 10, 20, 11, 17, 6, 11, 13 all with Black to move.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
New moves now. If it was a freeze it was a fairly short one.

shaun
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Seems OK here.
Schmaltz v Zhao is interesting at move 21. Fruit 2.1 is suggesting a piece sacrifice for White with bxa6.

jase
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
DGT boards are all in working order, albeit with some manual intervention when a piece suddenly disappears off the radar.

However the TOMA software is presently not uploading to our website. We have just installed a program that will upload data every 5 minutes, as a back-up procedure, and hope to have the TOMA gear operating on all cylinders again asap.

FYI Obst - Guthrie was an 11 move draw. I think they played about 10 minutes of chess. All other Championship games remain in progress.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Humphrey-Song has been drawn according to the PGN.

Alan Shore
02-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Humphrey-Song has been drawn according to the PGN.

Well the pain is over... Sheldrick - Duxbury 1-0

Edit: Oy, KB, edited post!

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Well the pain is over... Sheldrick - Duxbury 1-0

Edit: Oy, KB, edited post!

Yes, I originally wrote that I'd discovered snails that moved faster than Duxbury. But when Duxbury suddenly resigned for no readily apparent reason except that his position was somewhere near as ugly as his clock, I wondered if he might have been unwell or something during the game, and decided to delete my comment in case something of that case was true and I had unknowingly been insensitive.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Bird 1-0 Levi after Levi blunders, yep, another scalp for the U2150 gang.

1.Nf3 f5 2.d3 d6 3.e4 e5 4.Nc3 Nf6 5.exf5 Bxf5 6.d4 Nbd7 7.Be2 Be7 8.O-O O-O 9.dxe5 Nxe5 10.Nd4 Qd7 11.f4 Nc6 12.Nxf5 Qxf5 13.Kh1 Nb4 14.a3 Na6 15.g4 Qd7?? (I think something else might have a need for this square!) 16.g5 Ne8 17.Bxa6 bxa6 18.Qd5+ Kh8 19.Qxa8 c6 20.Be3 Qh3 21.Rae1 Bxg5 22.Qxc6 Bh4 23.Bf2 Nf6 24.Qg2 Qg3 1-0

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Dougherty 1-0 Pyke. Kingside smash.

1.d4 c5 2.d5 Nf6 3.c4 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 6.e4 g6 7.f4 Bg7 8.Bb5+ Nfd7 9.a4 O-O 10.Nf3 Na6 11.O-O Nc7 12.Bc4 Nb6 13.Ba2 Bg4 14.h3 Bxf3 15.Qxf3 Nd7 16.e5 dxe5 17.f5 e4 18.Nxe4 Bd4+ 19.Kh1 Ne5 20.Qg3 Kg7 21.Bh6+ Kg8 22.Rad1 Re8 23.d6 Na6 24.fxg6 hxg6 25.Bxf7+ Nxf7 26.Qxg6+ Kh8 27.Bg7+ Kg8 28.Qh5 1-0

Careth
02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
The Chandler-Smerdon match just ended in a draw, each player had around 5 minutes on clock. Chandler had a knight for Smerdon's Bishop, and equal in other material.

Careth
02-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Lane managed a win over Bjelobrk with the extra pawn at the end. Bjelobrk's position is quite interesting, as his King managed to run to h6, a hotspot for Lane's Queen's attacking sequence, forcing mate or severe loss of material for Bjelobrk.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Wallis-Frame - double knight ending where Wallis sacrifices a knight, leading to a fascinating ending where Frame has a knight but Wallis has nasty pawns.

Earlier Frame missed 26...a6 which appears to win a pawn.

In the ending, instead of 55...Kd8, 55...Kc8! 56.Kf7 Nxg3 appears to draw although I am not completely certain of this. Now the pawn does not give check, so Black has time to rip off the g3 pawn and get back. 55...Nxg3 56.Kf7 Ne4 doesn't work because after 57.Kxg6 Kd7 58.Kxh5 White wins so Black has to play 57...Ng3 58.e6 Kd6 59.Kf7 Ne4 60.e7 with e8N! to follow after Black moves the king and what looks like a winning knight ending.

In the end Wallis missed or discarded the underpromotion idea: 60.e7 (in the game, not the variation given above) Ne4 61.e8=N! and an apparently won knight ending.

After this it should have been drawn had Frame played 68...Ne7 instead of 68...Nxf4+ which loses.

Comments on the above welcome because even with computer assistance some of these lines are extremely hard to work out.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I see the draw gives Frame a bye for tomorrow and Levi is absent from the draw. Does this mean Levi has withdrawn? If so is this an approved or unapproved withdrawal?

Garvinator
03-01-2006, 08:44 AM
I see the draw gives Frame a bye for tomorrow and Levi is absent from the draw. Does this mean Levi has withdrawn? If so is this an approved or unapproved withdrawal?
dont have a clue atm, i will find out later when i get there. wont arrive at the venue till about 2pm brisbane time.

Garvinator
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
The website uploading problems havent been solved, therefore the games will be updated every five minutes from the first moves.

The extra four dgt boards have arrived, so we should have four more boards starting with round seven of the juniors (tomorrow).

Kaitlin
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Tight finish in Kegless v Alex Wohl game - Ive been watching the whole game

arosar
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Wow! Look at Ftacnik's 21. dc6! Beautiful possibilities on e6. And look at Xie - Solomon. Those c-pawns are looking menacing in both games.

AR

Davidflude
03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
According to the web site Levy has asked to withdraw.

I like it that they are getting extra DGT boards.

I was watching Sally Lu's game when she blundered. Her previous move was not the best reither. Still she missed a queen sacrifice forcing checkmate at Ergas against me. So I am not complaining.

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
According to the web site Levy has asked to withdraw.On what part of the website does it say that.

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Did Solomon really lose on time as indicated by the online clock or did he just resign.

Sutek
03-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Did Solomon really lose on time as indicated by the online clock or did he just resign.

He must have lost on time because I don't think he is really losing?

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 08:09 PM
He must have lost on time because I don't think he is really losing?That really was my thinking as well.
I guess I was just surprised at Solo losing on time. ;)

Sutek
03-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Ftacnik had a easy draw with 62.Bxh5!? against Chandler but he wont draw now!

pax
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Amazing - Smerdon has now played all 5 GMs scoring 3.5. I make his performance rating to date around 2700. He probably still needs a plus score from his next three to get a norm (2435 pr or so).

Sutek
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Amazing - Smerdon has now played all 5 GMs scoring 3.5. I make his performance rating to date around 2700. He probably still needs a plus score from his next three to get a norm (2435 pr or so).

Smerdon defended the ending well against Rogers as he was short of time and under pressure with knight forks always looming.

But Ian might have missed a good winning chance with 54.a6!? as it leads to a better variation on what he played, but perhaps black is still holding?

Garvinator
03-01-2006, 08:24 PM
That really was my thinking as well.
I guess I was just surprised at Solo losing on time. ;)
yes, loss on time

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 08:29 PM
yes, loss on timeThanks.

ElevatorEscapee
03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
According to the web site Levy has asked to withdraw.

On what part of the website does it say that.

It's in Bulletin 5, however there may not be a link to it on the bulletin's page yet.

http://www.*******2006.com/bulletins/bulletin5.pdf

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 10:09 PM
It's in Bulletin 5, however there may not be a link to it on the bulletin's page yet.Yes, the link is currently not there, so thanks for the info.

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 10:15 PM
According to the web site Levy has asked to withdraw.Having now read bulletin 5 it would appear that rather than asking to withdraw, Levi just decided to withdraw.

Eddy Levi lost to Andrew Bird and advised the arbiters that he was withdrawing from the tournament.
I wonder if the arbiters consider this an unapproved withdrawl?

pax
03-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Having now read bulletin 5 it would appear that rather than asking to withdraw, Levi just decided to withdraw.

It sounds pretty lame to me, and spoils the tournament for others.

I wonder if the arbiters consider this an unapproved withdrawl?
Are there any penalties for unapproved withdrawal?

Garvinator
03-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Are there any penalties for unapproved withdrawal?
Yes, a player from qld was recently suspended by the acf for 2 years from acf events and then for 6 months from all caq approved events.

Garvinator
03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes, I originally wrote that I'd discovered snails that moved faster than Duxbury. But when Duxbury suddenly resigned for no readily apparent reason except that his position was somewhere near as ugly as his clock, I wondered if he might have been unwell or something during the game, and decided to delete my comment in case something of that case was true and I had unknowingly been insensitive.
as some keen observers will have noted, Duxbury forfeited his game today. Apparently a mix up in communication which resulted in the forfeiture.

Bill Gletsos
03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Are there any penalties for unapproved withdrawal?As Garvin mentioned this was for a player who was an unapproved withdrawl from the Australian Open in Mt. Buller.

pax
04-01-2006, 06:42 AM
as some keen observers will have noted, Duxbury forfeited his game today. Apparently a mix up in communication which resulted in the forfeiture.

I also notice that he hasn't been included in the Round 7 draw. Has he also withdrawn?

GinoTHEstud
04-01-2006, 07:15 AM
I dont understand why players would even withdraw this far into the tournament. So he isnt playing his best chess. Wip-de-do. He just wrecks it for all the players. is there a bye now?

he should be banned for at least 6 months. Isnt there a player already in aussie who has been banned

Watto
04-01-2006, 08:46 AM
I dont understand why players would even withdraw this far into the tournament. So he isnt playing his best chess. Wip-de-do. He just wrecks it for all the players. is there a bye now?

he should be banned for at least 6 months. Isnt there a player already in aussie who has been banned

apparently Levi was suffering from severe back pain so that's at least one of the reasons he withdrew...

Frame has had byes in round 6 and 7.

pax
04-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Frame has had byes in round 6 and 7.

Wallis has the round 7 bye.

Watto
04-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Wallis has the round 7 bye.

well, that makes much more sense. Weird… I could have sworn that round 7 also gave Frame the bye when I checked earlier this morning.

and being a nice crisp day here I can't even blame the heat!! ;)

arosar
04-01-2006, 09:23 AM
apparently Levi was suffering from severe back pain so that's at least one of the reasons he withdrew...

I suppose he did not consider the Miles Solution?

AR

faeces gambit
04-01-2006, 10:25 AM
What is the Miles solution? Is it the case that if a player withdraws during a tournament the games are not rated?

GinoTHEstud
04-01-2006, 10:44 AM
lol no.

Miles suffers from a bad back. Used to get a table to lay on with the board within arms reach.

pax
04-01-2006, 10:59 AM
What is the Miles solution? Is it the case that if a player withdraws during a tournament the games are not rated?

The games he played are rated. If you could just withdraw to prevent your games being rated then everybody would be doing it!

Trizza
04-01-2006, 12:02 PM
A similar example was Russian GM Ionov who ripped his achilles tendon playing soccer with other players on a rest day. Doctors advised him to take several days rest after surgery, but Ionov insisted he play his games from a wheelchair.

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Yes, a player from qld was recently suspended by the acf for 2 years from acf events and then for 6 months from all caq approved events.

That case was viewed especially dimly because the player showed contempt for the arbiters by saying he was withdrawing because of heart problems but that he would get a medical certificate for it after he had played in the Lightning.

EGOR
04-01-2006, 02:44 PM
That case was viewed especially dimly because the player showed contempt for the arbiters by saying he was withdrawing because of heart problems but that he would get a medical certificate for it after he had played in the Lightning.
Well, everyone knows that lighting chess is less stressful!!!:D

shaun
04-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Also the player concerned was a repeat offender in this regard.

pax
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Smerdon appears to have surrendered the advantage pretty quickly against Lane. 8.Bc1 looks pretty meek..

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Smerdon appears to have surrendered the advantage pretty quickly against Lane. 8.Bc1 looks pretty meek..

Having played the Veresov myself now and then I'd say the advantage was surrendered six moves earlier.

Sutek
04-01-2006, 05:53 PM

He spent a lot of time on 8.Bc1 I noticed.

I guess he didn't like the look of 8.0-0-0 Qa5!? or 8.b3 which weakens his dark squares?

Spiny Norman
04-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Nice job by Xie, drawing with Schmaltz. What do other (more capable) minds make of the final position? If Xie had continued, how to press the advantage? Is it Bxb4, swap rooks, then Rc1 and try to attack on the White squares given that Black's Rh7 is offside?

Lucena
04-01-2006, 06:21 PM
On what part of the website does it say that.

I found it in bulletin 5 where it says
Eddy Levi lost to Andrew Bird and advised the arbiters that he was withdrawing from the tournament.

Sutek
04-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Nice job by Xie, drawing with Schmaltz. What do other (more capable) minds make of the final position? If Xie had continued, how to press the advantage? Is it Bxb4, swap rooks, then Rc1 and try to attack on the White squares given that Black's Rh7 is offside?

George stands better in the final position but his real problem was he had only about 13 minutes to GM Schmaltz's ("Hawkeye") 54 minutes.

Bill Gletsos
04-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I found it in bulletin 5 where it saysEE already pointed that out in post #83. However at that time, bulletin 5 was not linked from the daily bulletin main page.

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Smerdon-Lane has got incredibly messy in the last few moves.

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 07:06 PM
...and Smerdon is exchange for pawn up now. Earlier on I thought that he was losing.

Sutek
04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
...and Smerdon is exchange for pawn up now. Earlier on I thought that he was losing.

Smerdon is winning easy now but I think Wohl has messed up?
My tablebase says this is now a draw?

pax
04-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Smerdon-Lane 1-0: The bugger has done it again!

Sutek
04-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Smerdon-Lane 1-0: The bugger has done it again!

Yes, a well played game and a nice finish as well :)

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Smerdon is winning easy now but I think Wohl has mess up?
My tablebase says this is now a draw?

It looks drawn if Black continues to check from the side. Was there a stage at which Wohl was clearly winning?

Edit: Agreed drawn.

Kaitlin
04-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Kewl :) - I just looked at David Smerdon - Garry Lane game and I thought David was lost when I left before about move 11 too cause he had none of his King side guys out - but he surprised us all

pax
04-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Smerdon now has a PR of around 2725, and now looks odds-on for a GM norm (he only needs PR of 2200 over the next two rounds).

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Strong win by Rogers with black vs Chandler. I first looked at this at move 21 just after the knight exchange gave Ian those nice pawns on e5 and f5, and thought the wind might be blowing black's way.

I'm going to put Smerdon-Lane through Fritz, it's giving me a headache and I've got work to do tonight.

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Smerdon was actually never losing or even in significant trouble.

Fritz prefers 27.Rg3 b5 28.Qxb5 Qe4 29.f3 Qf5 30.Rxd5 Rxd5 31.Qxd5+ and white's a pawn up in a rook and SCB ending.

After Smerdon's 28.Rg3 Fritz likes ...Bh6 29.Kb1 b5 30.Qg4 transposing to the game. Smerdon could have taken advantage of Lane's move order error with 29.Qh4!, which forces the win of the exchange right away with the white king safe and the black one wide open.

After 33...Bf4 neglecting the d-file (don't need a computer to see that's incorrect) White was well on the way to winning anyway.

shaun
04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I thought that Bxf7+ looked perfectly sound, although I didn't see Nd5 was a possible defensive move. (Once pinned, always pinned!)

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
The ending of Dougherty-Booth is an amazing failure. Move 43 and white is cruising, exchange and pawn up in the endgame with a passed a-pawn. He sacs the exchange back for no readily obvious reason (time trouble?), reaching a rook ending a pawn up. He loses that pawn by pushing a pawn to where it can be pinned and the pin renewed after an exchange. Then he gives the opponent a passed pawn needlessly, which he ultimately wins back but in doing so winds up in a position where he is pawn up but the opposing rook is running amok in his weaker pawns. Finally in a position which looks lost anyway he offers a rook swap into a position that really is totally lost. Ugh.

pax
04-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Song and Ly both won to be right in the thick of things. Song is now on 4/7 - surely nobody still thinks he shouldn't have played?

pax
04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Speaking of norms, a draw with Ftacnik tomorrow will put Bjelobrk in the frame for an IM norm.

Lucena
04-01-2006, 10:56 PM
EE already pointed that out in post #83. However at that time, bulletin 5 was not linked from the daily bulletin main page.

Oh, sorry :silenced:

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Song and Ly both won to be right in the thick of things. Song is now on 4/7 - surely nobody still thinks he shouldn't have played?

Also I wonder if anybody still thinks Ly should not have played both events. I guess the jury is still out because it will be judged a failure by some if he does not win the Junior, but so far he is doing fine in both.

jenni
04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Also I wonder if anybody still thinks Ly should not have played both events. I guess the jury is still out because it will be judged a failure by some if he does not win the Junior, but so far he is doing fine in both.

Moulthun is getting very tired. Angela said he was missing a lot of stuff in his game against her. I suspect he would be doing even better in the Championships if he had only played in that. I think it is very hard to play a really good game when you have no time for preparation and have had a long tough game in the morning.

He will probably win the juniors and do OK in the champs, but my feeling is he should have concentrated on the champs. The whole idea of juniors playing in the champs is to give them experience against really hard players and if you have no time to do preparation and are tired it seems a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Bill Gletsos
04-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Oh, sorry :silenced:No need to be gareth, I figured you had missed EE's response and was just pointing it out.

Davidflude
05-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I am really pleased to see David Smerdon playing so well. He was so good at the Ergas Training camp Helping develop the juniors.

jenni
05-01-2006, 07:31 AM
I am really pleased to see David Smerdon playing so well. He was so good at the Ergas Training camp Helping develop the juniors.
He is a fantastic young man. Whan I asked him to be a coach in France he immediately said yes and said he wanted to put something back into the Juniors.

After this performance, I would think a place on the Olympiad team is looking pretty secure?

WhiteElephant
05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
It is great for the image and promotion of chess to see someone young and non-freaky doing well in the Championships. Hope Dave takes out the tournament and gets his GM norm.

Sutek
05-01-2006, 08:33 AM
It looks drawn if Black continues to check from the side. Was there a stage at which Wohl was clearly winning?

Edit: Agreed drawn.

43.Ra6!? was one improvement.

Edit: Also 47.Kg1!? appears to win?

Dozy
05-01-2006, 09:00 AM
It is great for the image and promotion of chess to see someone young and non-freaky doing well in the Championships. Hope Dave takes out the tournament and gets his GM norm.Smurf had a great Olympiad in 2004 including a clever win with black against GM Lupulescu. His 33rd move was right out of left field.

I tried uploading from PGN uploader but don't think it's working yet. Here's a copy of the game:

[Event "36th Olympiad"]
[Site "Calvia ESP"]
[Date "2004.10.25"]
[Round "10"]
[White "Lupulescu, C."]
[Black "Smerdon, D."]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "C11"]
[WhiteElo "2560"]
[BlackElo "2425"]
[Plycount "90"]
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e5 Nfd7 5. Nce2 c5 6. c3 Nc6 7. f4 Qb6 8. Nf3 f6 9. g3 cxd4 10. cxd4 Bb4+ 11. Nc3 O-O 12. a3 Be7 13. Bh3 fxe5 14. Bxe6+ Kh8 15. Nxd5 Qd8 16. Bxd7 Bxd7 17. dxe5 Bg4 18. O-O Bc5+ 19. Be3 Bxe3+ 20. Nxe3 Qb6 21. Qd2 Bxf3 22. Rxf3 Nd4 23. Rff1 Nb3 24. Qe2 Nxa1 25. Rxa1 g5 26. Rf1 gxf4 27. gxf4 Rf5 28. Kh1 Rf7 29. f5 Rg8 30. e6 Rfg7 31. Qf3 Rg5 32. b4 Qd6 33. Nd5 Rg3 34. Qd1 R3g4 35. Qf3 Qe5 36. e7 Rh4 37. Nf4 Qxe7 38. Qc3+ Qg7 39. f6 Qf7 40. Qe5 b6 41. b5 Rhg4 42. h3 Rg3 43. Kh2 Qa2+ 44. Ne2 Rg2+ 45. Kh1 Rxe2 0-1

pax
05-01-2006, 09:18 AM
After this performance, I would think a place on the Olympiad team is looking pretty secure?

Barring an extraordinary disaster, you would have to think so.

Watto
05-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Smurf had a great Olympiad in 2004 including a clever win with black against GM Lupulescu. His 33rd move was right out of left field.

Yes, he showed a lot of fighting spirit in that Olympiad to come back strongly from a big disappointment early on, when he lost a game against a GM (a game he was winning but then lost after trying to 'blitz' his opponent- if I remember correctly).

It's exciting that an Australian IM has had a chance to play five GMs in a row, in Australia. It's turning into a really engrossing contest, looking forward to the next few rounds! :)

pballard
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
It is great for the image and promotion of chess to see someone young and non-freaky doing well in the Championships.

And all of Australia's other leading players said, "Hey!" :)

pax
05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Rogers isn't going to let Smerdon have it all his own way: he is currently whipping Schmaltz.

Phil Bourke
05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Rogers - Schmaltz is interesting, don't often see doubled doubled pawns on the same files :)

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Looks to me like Ian's just running rings around him. Never mind Black only having two pawns for the piece for the endgame, I'm not even convinced Black's even lasting that long.

EDIT: No sooner did I whack send on that than I saw Schmaltz had resigned! GM smashes GM in 30 moves.

shaun
05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Smirnov draws with Johansen (after drawing with Solomon yesterday). Must be that Sydney tap water ....

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Smirnov draws with Johansen. Another suboptimal Aus Champs for Darryl.

Trizza
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Bd2 was a big blunder for Song vs Wohl, but he was already a pawn down for basically nothing. Now however he is totally lost and has just resigned.

pax
05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Smirnov draws with Johansen. Another suboptimal Aus Champs for Darryl.

What do you mean another? The guy has won five and two of the last three. Give him a bit of credit!

Trizza
05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
What do you mean another? The guy has won five and two of the last three. Give him a bit of credit!

I think Kevin was referring to the last one, where he only scored 50%. Darryl himself said at the closing ceremony it was the worst tournament of his life.

pax
05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
I think Kevin was referring to the last one, where he only scored 50%. Darryl himself said at the closing ceremony it was the worst tournament of his life.

Ok, fair enough.

pax
05-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Interestingly, the one player who arguably had a worse tournament was Smerdon. Quite a turnaround!

WhiteElephant
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't understand 31. h4 from Smerdon...wonder what he has planned....

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 06:48 PM

Correct. Just the last one.

I think Smerdon's starting to get somewhere here. 32.Nxf5 looks tempting.

WhiteElephant
05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Correct. Just the last one.

I think Smerdon's starting to get somewhere here. 32.Nxf5 looks tempting.

Hmmm... 32. Nxf5...Qxg2++

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmmm... 32. Nxf5...Qxg2++

Um yeah ... just a minor technical hitch.

I really didn't get enough sleep last night!

*wants embarrassed smiley back*

In that case, maybe it's Black who's getting somewhere.

shaun
05-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't understand 31. h4 from Smerdon...wonder what he has planned....
Maybe he did a "Fischer" ie planned to play h3, picked up the pawn, and then realised if was a blunder. (cf Unzicker v Fischer 1960)

WhiteElephant
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Aha...we have a move. No wonder they say Queen + Knight/s are such a powerful attacking combo...seems difficult for white to coordinate his pieces to stop the kingside attack.

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't understand why George played ...Kg7 not ...Ke7. Now Smerdon is totally winning.

WhiteElephant
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't understand why George played ...Kg7 not ...Ke7. Now Smerdon is totally winning.

Yep, I was wondering the same thing.

Now Smerdon looks good with one dangerous knight swapped off.

Watto
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Um yeah ... just a minor technical hitch.

I really didn't get enough sleep last night!

*wants embarrassed smiley back*

In that case, maybe it's Black who's getting somewhere.

hehe. you had me worried there for a minute. I was looking and looking to see why it wasn't mate... !

Trizza
05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe he did a "Fischer" ie planned to play h3, picked up the pawn, and then realised if was a blunder. (cf Unzicker v Fischer 1960)

Except in this case h3 would have been a blunder, as black can just take it. I think the idea behind h4 was if Qh4, Rd8+ Kg7, Rd7 getting either the f7 pawn or two knights for a rook. Nevertheless I'd be tempted to go for this as black as white would then have to co-ordinate rook, knight and bishop while maybe the black queen could go pawn hunting.

Nf5 looked interesting, but if black had to go back with Nh6 two moves later perhaps not so great. Now however black's king seems in more danger.

Just seen Kevin's post though - yes Ke7 instead though seems better even though the king comes out into the open

pax
05-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Xie blew it. First with Kg7, then with Nxg3. Smerdon is now comfortably winning (again!)...

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I have now put Dr Fritz on the case. 32...Ke7 was probably good for a slight advantage to black. 32...Kg7, 33...Nxg3 and 35...Ne2+ were all mistakes and Xie is now totally lost.

Oh, and Smerdon's h4 was fine (whatever it actually does) but he should have played 32.Rd7 not 32.Rd8+ allowing ...Ke7.

pax
05-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Brilliant finish!

I'm pretty sure Smerdon now has a 9 round GM norm sewn up. The question nos is whether he can turn it into an 11 round (or a 12 round) norm... And of course, whether he can become Australian Champion in the process!

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Did Xie really play 41...Qc4 as a joke before resigning? If so, cool!

Trizza
05-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Did Xie really play 41...Qc4 as a joke before resigning? If so, cool!

I don't have Qc4 as the final move.

What has happened in Zhao - Chandler? Did white really resign there?

pax
05-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't have Qc4 as the final move.

What has happened in Zhao - Chandler? Did white really resign there?

Was just wondering that myself.. Move missing?

Bill Gletsos
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't have Qc4 as the final move.He means Qd4+.

What has happened in Zhao - Chandler? Did white really resign there?So it appears as even view games from the round pairing shows the same as the DGT board.

pax
05-01-2006, 07:37 PM
He means Qd4+.

No, the DGT briefly showed Qc4 as the final move.

Phil Bourke
05-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Qc4 showed as the last move when I was watching. I think it was a little chess humour on George's part.

pballard
05-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Except in this case h3 would have been a blunder, as black can just take it.

Which was exactly the case in the Fischer game.

Unlike the Fischer game, though, h4 isn't also a blunder. [ETA: actually RJF was black, but you get the idea: he touched the pawn then played ...h5 because ...h6 lost a pawn]

Still, 31 Rd8+ (intsead of 31 h4) looks better, but what would I know. Smerdon keeps winning, so it's hard to criticise.

Trizza
05-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Which was exactly the case in the Fischer game.

Unlike the Fischer game, though, h4 isn't also a blunder. [ETA: actually RJF was black, but you get the idea: he touched the pawn then played ...h5 because ...h6 lost a pawn]

Still, 31 Rd8+ (intsead of 31 h4) looks better, but what would I know. Smerdon keeps winning, so it's hard to criticise.

Sorry shaun, skimmed the post too quickly and misinterpreted it.

Smerdon likes to stir up trouble (seek complications) so maybe that was the reason for h4. Xie also had less time.

arosar
06-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Smerdon did get the norm. Xie was the first to congrats post post-mortem.

AR

GinoTHEstud
06-01-2006, 08:36 AM
That is so awsome!

What a machine.

Can igor Bjelobrk possibly still get an IM norm? Or is it alot harder now?

Oepty
06-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I have now put Dr Fritz on the case. 32...Ke7 was probably good for a slight advantage to black. 32...Kg7, 33...Nxg3 and 35...Ne2+ were all mistakes and Xie is now totally lost.

Oh, and Smerdon's h4 was fine (whatever it actually does) but he should have played 32.Rd7 not 32.Rd8+ allowing ...Ke7.

Kevin, as far as I can remember for the Smerdon and Xie's analysis of the game afterwards they concluded Ke7 lost, but I don't remember how. I wonder what they missed. They seemed to conclude that Xie had to play Nh6 earlier (move 33 maybe) than this and after that he didn't he was in trouble, probably losing.
Also I think they also concluded h4 was okay, but not best.
Scott

Oepty
06-01-2006, 10:31 AM
That is so awsome!

What a machine.

Can igor Bjelobrk possibly still get an IM norm? Or is it alot harder now?

He certainly could have before the round, but I am not sure about now. Cathy Rogers and Charles Zworestine had it all worked out to put up on a notice board in the venue but I am not sure whether it was done.
Smerdon has a 9 game norm, but I understand he might be able to get even a 12 game norm depending on his results.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
He certainly could have before the round, but I am not sure about now. Cathy Rogers and Charles Zworestine had it all worked out to put up on a notice board in the venue but I am not sure whether it was done.
Smerdon has a 9 game norm, but I understand he might be able to get even a 12 game norm depending on his results.
ScottScott, dont you mean an 11 game norm.

GinoTHEstud
06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!

Oepty
06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Scott, dont you mean an 11 game norm.

Bill. No a 12 game norm was what Cathy was saying. Section 1.41c of the section of the FIDE handbook on the FIDE website says,

Where a player exceeds the norm requirements by one or more full points, then the length of the tournament is considered to be extended by that number of games when computing the total number of games.

I take it that it is possible for Smerdon to score one more point in the rest of the tournament than he requires to make an 11 game norm. I think, but am not absolutely sure on this, he has to win all the rest of his games to do it.

Scott

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Bill. No a 12 game norm was what Cathy was saying. Section 1.41c of the section of the FIDE handbook on the FIDE website says,

I take it that it is possible for Smerdon to score one more point in the rest of the tournament than he requires to make an 11 game norm. I think, but am not absolutely sure on this, he has to win all the rest of his games to do it.

ScottYes, I'm aware of that regulation. However in theory he could also even make a 13 game norm. Therefore because you had explicitly mentioned 12, I assumed you had just made a typo.

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!You need two norms over 27 games. However for most people it is virtually impossible to get 2 norms in that many games as two events normally wont ever cover 27 rounds. Therefore most people require 3 norms over the 27 games.

Oepty
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Yes, I'm aware of that regulation. However in theory he could also even make a 13 game norm. Therefore because you had explicitly mentioned 12, I assumed you had just made a typo.

I said 12 because that is what I am sure I heard Cathy say. I would have been surprised if you didn't know the regulation, but I looked it up just to make sure I had it right myself.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
I said 12 because that is what I am sure I heard Cathy say. I would have been surprised if you didn't know the regulation, but I looked it up just to make sure I had it right myself.
ScottI'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.

Oepty
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.

Exactly what I think as well, especially since I think Cathy said he needed to win all of his games to the 12 game norm.
Scott

Oepty
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.

Exactly what I think as well, especially since I think Cathy said he needed to win all of his games to get the 12 game norm.
Scott

Ian_Rogers
06-01-2006, 11:45 AM
The last move in the Zhao-Chandler game was ...Qb2+ - the rest was just post-game analysis, recorded by the DGT board.

Ian

Oepty
06-01-2006, 12:50 PM
A couple of notes on things mentioned earlier in the thread. I was told Duxbury was working at least some nights during the tournament and I think was probably very tired. He apparently told someone to tell the arbiters that he was withdrawing but the arbiters didn't here of it until after the next round started.
Levi apparently only gave back problems as a reason for his withdrawal much later than when he initially said he was withdrawing.
Scott

Garvinator
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Levi apparently only gave back problems as a reason for his withdrawal much later than when he initially said he was withdrawing.
Scott
Levi gave a few reasons for his withdrawal, back problems being one of them. I consider this now to be an issue for the aus champ organisers and acf council if they receive a report about withdrawals.

Therefore I think it is best that there be no more discussion in a public forum like this, lest he be hung before even been tried.

pax
06-01-2006, 01:23 PM

It's pretty easy to check this on the FIDE web site. For an average opposition rating of 2426-2467 (The average opposition for Smerdon cannot increase beyond this), the 11 game GM norm is 8. Therefore a 12 game norm is possible, and a 13 game norm is not.

pax
06-01-2006, 01:28 PM
is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!

The FIDE calculator is screwed up at the moment (has been for as long as I can remember actually). It bemuses me how they can mess up such a simple calculation.

Smerdon has actually gained only about 28 points (remember that K=10 for players over 2400), so he will need plenty more good results to get over 2500. A good year with Queenstown, Doeberl and Olympiad could put him close though (not to mention a good finish here)!

pax
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
The last move in the Zhao-Chandler game was ...Qb2+ - the rest was just post-game analysis, recorded by the DGT board.

Ian

Gee, maybe it was just as well for Murray that Zhao resigned. The 'analysis' missed the winning 41...Ng5!

bobby1972
06-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Anyone Got The Smirnov-pyke Game Please

Oepty
06-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I believe, but this is definitely not offical and I am definitely not perfect, if Bjelobrk beats Canfell tommorrow he will have achieved a IM norm.On the other hand if Canfell wins he may be able to get an 11 round IM norm.
Scott

Oepty
06-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Levi gave a few reasons for his withdrawal, back problems being one of them. I consider this now to be an issue for the aus champ organisers and acf council if they receive a report about withdrawals.

Therefore I think it is best that there be no more discussion in a public forum like this, lest he be hung before even been tried.

Garvin, yes it is up to the ACF to finally decide. Levi needs to be able to put his case forward which might totally justify his withdrawal.
Scott

Trizza
07-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Four of the live championship games have Bb5 Sicilians today. The all GM game however is a Dragon very similar to Schmaltz - Smerdon (apart from each side having pushed their a pawns). Schmaltz quickly got into trouble against Smerdon, so it will be interesting to see what he has planned for Chandler.

Davidflude
07-01-2006, 04:49 PM
According to "The Fascinating King's Gambit" by Johansson Ly did not play the most accurate move order. Nevertheless he still has the better endgame. The falkbeer Counter gambit is now unfashionable because white can push black into
inferior endgames and then grind away.

The most accurate move order is given as

1. e4 e5
2. f4 d5
3.exd e4 (exf4 leads to the modern defence)
4. d3 Qxd5
5.Nc3 Bb4
6. Bd2 Bc3
7. Bc3 Nf6
8. Qe2 (Johanssen asserts that Bxf6 is a case of the threat being deadlier than the execution) Bg4
9.dxe

Trizza
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Johansen - Zhao drawn.

That is Darryl's 6th draw and 4th in a row!

Careth
07-01-2006, 05:48 PM
The most interesting game I reckon is the Ftacnik-Lane.

pax
07-01-2006, 06:12 PM
The most interesting game I reckon is the Ftacnik-Lane.

20 moves with no captures is pretty good going..

bobby1972
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
quick win for pyke guthrie lost his queen

Bill Gletsos
07-01-2006, 07:17 PM
In Wohl - Rogers 36. ... Bd4 instead of f4 looks slightly better for black although it is probably still drawn.

pax
07-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Looks like Smerdon's run is about to end with a crunch.

pax
07-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Or maybe not.. Is this in the tablebase?

Garvinator
07-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Looks like Smerdon's run is about to end with a crunch.
nope, game drawn

pax
07-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Tablebase actually says it was a draw all along (at least since 50...Kxh4). It just looked pretty nasty.

Trizza
07-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Top 7 boards all drawn!

I think once Solomon - Smerdon got down to K+R+P each it was drawn by a tempo.

pax
07-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Draws on the top 7 boards (mostly hard fought)!

Looks like Smerdon will be black against Wohl tomorrow.

arosar
07-01-2006, 09:51 PM
According to "The Fascinating King's Gambit" by Johansson Ly did not play the most accurate move order. Nevertheless he still has the better endgame. The falkbeer Counter gambit is now unfashionable because white can push black into
inferior endgames and then grind away.

The most accurate move order is given as

1. e4 e5
2. f4 d5
3.exd e4 (exf4 leads to the modern defence)
4. d3 Qxd5
5.Nc3 Bb4
6. Bd2 Bc3
7. Bc3 Nf6
8. Qe2 (Johanssen asserts that Bxf6 is a case of the threat being deadlier than the execution) Bg4
9.dxe

This game was awesome. The ending was subjected to much analysis by no less than 3 titled players!!

AR

pax
08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Alex is at it again: 1.a3 against Smerdon!

Bill Gletsos
08-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Alex is at it again: 1.a3 against Smerdon!And the Smurf powers onwards.

Bill Gletsos
08-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice game by Raymond against Moulthun.

Garvinator
08-01-2006, 07:15 PM
And the Smurf powers onwards.
definetely acting like papa smurf in this tournament.

Bill Gletsos
08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Darryl had a draw there against Ian with 44.Re8 instead of Re6.
Ian will go on to win it now..

Garvinator
08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
anyone for a four game playoff at gardiner chess centre (wink)

Spiny Norman
08-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Oh ... no ... Greg is going to be very disappointed after doing all that hard work early against Chandler.

Bill Gletsos
08-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Oh ... no ... Greg is going to be very disappointed after doing all that hard work early against Chandler.Yes, 57. Rd2 is winning. However even after 57. Kg5 it is still drawn if Greg had played either 60. g4 or Kxe4

pax
08-01-2006, 09:45 PM
By my calculations, Smerdon is now guaranteed an 11 game GM norm as long as his final round opponent is rated over 2190. If that is the case, then he will get a 12 game norm if he wins.

Unfortunately, it looks as though his final round opponent will be Raymond Song in which case the 12 game norm is not possible (and he will need a draw for an 11 game norm).

(I don't know the result of Smirnov-Zhao yet, and Smirnov is a possible opponent if he beat Zhao tonight)

Bill Gletsos
08-01-2006, 10:54 PM
By my calculations, Smerdon is now guaranteed an 11 game GM norm as long as his final round opponent is rated over 2190. If that is the case, then he will get a 12 game norm if he wins.

Unfortunately, it looks as though his final round opponent will be Raymond Song in which case the 12 game norm is not possible (and he will need a draw for an 11 game norm).

(I don't know the result of Smirnov-Zhao yet, and Smirnov is a possible opponent if he beat Zhao tonight)Song is playing Rogers and Smerdon is playing Goldenberg, so a win would give him a 12 game norm.

pax
08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Song is playing Rogers and Smerdon is playing Goldenberg, so a win would give him a 12 game norm.

Yep (I didn't account for the fact that Rogers would be paired before Smerdon).

Since you would expect Rogers to beat Song, I'm sure Smerdon will push hard for a win tomorrow (especially as he has nothing to lose norm-wise).

Trizza
09-01-2006, 02:11 PM
The Booth-Lakner game from round 10 is a little hard to believe - did both players really miss a mate in 2?

Garvinator
09-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Due to technical difficulties, we were late in starting and problems were encountered. All eight boards are now transmitting for the championships and the names match the moves being played on the board.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by the delays.

pax
09-01-2006, 02:26 PM
The Booth-Lakner game from round 10 is a little hard to believe - did both players really miss a mate in 2?

Looks that way. There are too many moves after it to be a mistake in the PGN..

pax
09-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Song-Rogers went to a level looking endgame in double quick time (RRN and pawns each). My guess is that Rogers is going to give a lesson in strategic endgame play - should be interesting to watch.

pax
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Smerdon sacs a bishop on f7 - he's going for it!

pballard
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM

Looks that way. There are too many moves after it to be a mistake in the PGN..

Not only is 30...Nf3+ a simply mate in 2, but for two moves before the black Nd4 is en prise from the white Pe3. I think some moves must be transposed.

Davidflude
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
This puts the pressure on Rogers. He should try and drag out his game so as to see what happens in the Smerdon game. Then he can agree a draw or grind
on and on depending on what is happening in the smerson game

pax
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
This puts the pressure on Rogers. He should try and drag out his game so as to see what happens in the Smerdon game. Then he can agree a draw or grind

I have no doubt that Rogers is playing for a win irrespective of the other game.

arosar
09-01-2006, 03:14 PM

What's the point in that? Rogers' objective is clear: to win. Maybe you think he's playing transfer or something. Sometimes they drag out games in transfer.

AR

Trizza
09-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Pyke's dragon has been ripped to shreds by Zhao. Nice queen 'sac'.

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I wonder if the Smurf has seen the line:

16. Nfe5+ Nxe5 17. Nxe5+ Kg8 18. Nxd3 c4

Edit: Well Goldenberg clearly missed it. Smerdon is now better.

pax
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Goldenberg just inexplicably gave the piece back for no apparent reason:

He played 16...Kg8, when he could have played 16... Nxe5 17.Nxe5 Kg8 18.Nxd3 c4! and still had the best of it...

Davidflude
09-01-2006, 03:40 PM

Goldenberg missed it. 16....Kg8 17. Nd3 is far worse. In the other line Smerdon would have won a third pawn

Trizza
09-01-2006, 03:41 PM

I would think so. He would get a 3rd pawn for the piece and black's kingside pieces don't look great.

But Goldenberg didn't swap knights first, allowing a simple win of the bishop?

Edit: Looks like we were all thinking the same thing at the same time!

pax
09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Goldenberg just inexplicably gave the piece back for no apparent reason:

Please excuse the shocking tautology.

Smerdon will now win for sure.

Sutek
09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Goldenberg missed it. 16....Kg8 17. Nd3 is far worse. In the other line Smerdon would have won a third pawn

I think the transmission is wrong, they played the line Bill sugested above and after 18...c4 19.Qc2 cxd3 20.Qxd3 Qd6, i think this makes more sense?

jase
09-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Correct Steve - software problems at this moment. Igor has not returned the piece as per the transmission, nor has he just left his queen en pris :)

Working on it ...

Trizza
09-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I think the transmission is wrong, they played the line Bill sugested above and after 18...c4 19.Qc2 cxd3 19.Qxd3 Qd6, i think this makes more sense?

Sounds far more likely than what the transmission has at the moment, given the black queen in en prise.

jase
09-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Transmission will hopefully resume in about 10 minutes - we have uploaded all of the positions and are now entering all moves made on the broadcast games.

Channel 9 news will cover the event in tonight's news - I do not know if it will go national or just to their queensland audiences.

Garvinator
09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I have manually inputted the moves for Song- Rogers and Smerdon- Goldenberg and we are now transmitting those two games now.

My apologies for not being able to transmit the other six games, but technical issues have forced us to transmit only two boards at the moment, therefore we are updating the two games that will decide the Australian Championship for your viewing pleasure.

Pgn's for the other games will be available later of course : )

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Hello everyone,

I have manually inputted the moves for Song- Rogers and Smerdon- Goldenberg and we are now transmitting those two games now.

My apologies for not being able to transmit the other six games, but technical issues have forced us to transmit only two boards at the moment, therefore we are updating the two games that will decide the Australian Championship for your viewing pleasure.

Pgn's for the other games will be available later of course : )In Song V Rogers did it really go 36. g3 Nh5 37. Nxd5 Nxg3 38. Rd3 g5 39. f4 exf4 40. Nxf4 Rxf4 41. Rxg3 since Ian could win easily by 40. gxf4 instead Rxf4.

Trizza
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Hello everyone,

Pgn's for the other games will be available later of course : )

Thanks, but I think there is an error around move 40 in the Song-Rogers game.

pax
09-01-2006, 04:56 PM
What about Solomon-Chandler? That game is also of some significance.

It's a shame that these problems crop up in the last round after everything ran pretty smoothly for the rest of the tournament. Murphy's law or some corollary I'm sure..

jase
09-01-2006, 05:04 PM
To describe the DGT/TOMA software as delicate would be an understatement.
Working at the event I am surprised at the level of manual intervention required of us during the rounds in order to maintain broadcasts.

Solo is a pawn down against Chandler in a R + Kn ending.

Garvinator
09-01-2006, 05:15 PM
In Song V Rogers did it really go 36. g3 Nh5 37. Nxd5 Nxg3 38. Rd3 g5 39. f4 exf4 40. Nxf4 Rxf4 41. Rxg3 since Ian could win easily by 40. gxf4 instead Rxf4.
i would say that you are correct. Until the players go past move 60 and I might be able to get the first scoresheet, all I can say is that I am confident that the current position you are seeing matches the position that is on the board in both games. I agree that the moves as given by the software of Song-Rogers is probably inaccurate for my manual intervention as I am trying to peer over Ian's shoulder to get the moves.

pax
09-01-2006, 05:16 PM
After Nxg5 Smerdon now looks comprehensively lost. A shame after such a tremendous tournament from him.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Jase!

pax
09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Song's 48.Kd5 looks a mistake. Kd4 gains a tempo and keeps the king in the square of the black pawn. I think he might begin to struggle now.

Garvinator
09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Song's 48.Kd5 looks a mistake. Kd4 gains a tempo and keeps the king in the square of the black pawn. I think he might begin to struggle now.
Loss for Smurf and a win for Rogers.

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Song's 48.Kd5 looks a mistake. Kd4 gains a tempo and keeps the king in the square of the black pawn. I think he might begin to struggle now.You mean 50. Kd5. However even after 50. Kd4 Ian can play g3 leaving the c3 Rook enprise.

Davidflude
09-01-2006, 05:35 PM
no details required

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
no details requiredI assume he resigned after Ian's Rb3.

Congratulations to Ian on another Australian Championship victory and well done David on your 11 game GM norm.

Trizza
09-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I assume he resigned after Ian's Rb3.

Congratulations to Ian on another Australian Championship victory and well done David on your 11 game GM norm.

Great performances by both. 9/11 by Ian against such a strong field is awesome.

Despite David's loss today, he fully deserved the GM norm with +2 against the GMs and another +2against the IMs.

Edit: How is the Solo - Chandler game going?

jase
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Solo is battling on. One pawn each, Chandler's looks the more dangerous ... but Solo is of course playing for the win. Perhaps Murray is only just realising this quirk of (Solo) man

Wohl trying to hold on: rook v rook, knight, pawn.

Darryl beat Greg, Caoili crashed, Chris Wallis chalked up a solid win v James Obst ...

arosar
09-01-2006, 06:16 PM
I assume he resigned after Ian's Rb3.

Congratulations to Ian on another Australian Championship victory...

Exactly as the world famous The Closet Grandmaster predicted.

AR

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Any update on Solo V Chandler and Wohl V Schmaltz.

Also who won the Major or is that still undecided too.

pax
09-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Moulthun beat Booth with a clinical rook endgame conversion (mind you it was a bad blunder that dropped the pawn).

bobby1972
09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
any results who came third and so on?

Davidflude
09-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Clearly this event has been a spectacular success and a credit to the organisers.

Being able to follow so many games on line was great.

Congratulations to all the organisers on a job well done.