PDA

View Full Version : String theory

antichrist
03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
I think my posts are better than your anti-Jesus, satan worshipping, devil loving crap that you sometimes post :hand:
CL
Love your enemies - bit unrealistic isn't it?

Did JC love his enemies? No, he consigned to Hell forever for blah, blah, blah

We have evolved into the wrong thread.

A challenge -- can anyone think of anything that has not evolved?

PHAT
03-02-2004, 05:00 PM

The "strings" in String Theory.

antichrist
03-02-2004, 05:19 PM
The "strings" in String Theory.

I can't see why they would not have evolved but I will let a scientifically-minded person answer it fully.

PHAT
04-02-2004, 09:57 PM
I can't see why they would not have evolved but I will let a scientifically-minded person answer it fully.

Cosmology is not my area. However, my limited understanding of string theory is that the "strings" came into being at the first instant of the big bang and have not changed since. Remember, it is still only a theory which has not become a paradigm.

antichrist
05-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Cosmology is not my area. However, my limited understanding of string theory is that the "strings" came into being at the first instant of the big bang and have not changed since. Remember, it is still only a theory which has not become a paradigm.

If we accept universes collapsing in and re-exploding then they would be evolving

Rincewind
05-02-2004, 03:39 PM

Define "evolved".

skip to my lou
05-02-2004, 03:42 PM

Space

PHAT
05-02-2004, 06:34 PM
If we accept universes collapsing in and re-exploding then they would be evolving

No, they would be being created once and destroyed once. They spend 20 billion years going zzzzzzzzzzzzz then nothing. Thus they have not changed from one thing into another, ie not evolved.

The latest info suggest that there will be no big crunch - just a "cold death." I find this prospect unsatisfyingly asymetric.

PHAT
05-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Space

:confused: Your intracranial void?

antichrist
06-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Define "evolved".

A good dictionary definition is sufficient, I am away from home so can't help. Basically, changing form

antichrist
06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Space

It went from non-existence, before BB to existence, and is expanding, so of course evolves.

antichrist
06-02-2004, 05:26 PM
No, they would be being created once and destroyed once. They spend 20 billion years going zzzzzzzzzzzzz then nothing. Thus they have not changed from one thing into another, ie not evolved.

Something else has evolved into them, then them into something else.

The latest info suggest that there will be no big crunch - just a "cold death." I find this prospect unsatisfyingly asymetric.

I don't try to follow latest science, never-ending

skip to my lou
06-02-2004, 05:34 PM
:confused: Your intracranial void?
thats the lamest comment made, ever.

Garvinator
06-02-2004, 05:50 PM
that is a big call :lol: especially with some of the other posts on this bb :owned:

skip to my lou
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
His rating sucks, hes an idiot, hes annoying and hes a dumbass.

If theres anyone with an "intracranial void" in this world, it has to be him, without a doubt.

Bill Gletsos
06-02-2004, 08:32 PM
This reply seems to indicate that like CL you lack the concept of sarcasm, especially when directed at you.
In your case however you are only young so we can overlook it to some degree. ;)

If theres anyone with an "intracranial void" in this world, it has to be him, without a doubt.
Now this on the other hand is what you should have replied with originally. :clap:

Rincewind
07-02-2004, 08:09 AM
A good dictionary definition is sufficient, I am away from home so can't help. Basically, changing form

There are many meanigs for most words. Going by ACOD you have...

develop by natural process

The meaning of develop in this sense is

make or become fuller, more elaborate or systematic or bigger

Using these definitions and the much maligned 2nd Law or Thermodynamics most non-living system are actually devolving.

Species (which is an artificial archtype of individual specimens) could be said to be evolving.

PHAT
07-02-2004, 11:02 AM

Out of curiosity, rooster-breath, what year did you play your first rated tournament, and what was your rating four years after that?

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 11:18 AM
I started roughly 3.5 years ago, last year I didn't play any rated games (maybe a few at start of the year, cant remember).

My rating was around 1480 till I totally stuffed up Koala tourney and my rating went down to 13xx now its 1430.

Thats my standard game rating, now in blitz, its a completely different story! :D I came = 4th in ? Ryde Eastwood ? Blitz Tourney and even got a trophy for highest scorer in U1800! And there were some outstanding players there aswell, including G.Lane and a few FM's.

Btw I have never read a chess book (just a couple of tactics ones {reinfeld}) and 4 or 5 hours coaching from Brian. :lol: Once I bought attacking chess by lane but I never got around to reading it. :lol:

Thats a summary of my chess skill so far. Im sure after I settle into UNI, I can spend alot more time in studying chess and playing in tourneys.

kekeke ^___^ GG NO RE. :mrgreen:

PHAT
07-02-2004, 12:15 PM
My rating was around 1480 till I totally stuffed up Koala tourney and my rating went down to 13xx now its 1430.

Thats my standard game rating, now in blitz, its a completely different story! :D I came = 4th in ? Ryde Eastwood ? Blitz Tourney and even got a trophy for highest scorer in U1800! And there were some outstanding players there aswell, including G.Lane and a few FM's.

Hmmm. That is impressive enough. A player like you should be able to smash a "dumbass" like me, 7/0.

$100 say you can't. :evil:

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Blitz or Standard? And why are you always saying "7/0". We play per game ONLY, $10 per game.

PHAT
07-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Blitz or Standard? And why are you always saying "7/0". We play per game ONLY, $10 per game.

Standard, either 90min + 30sec or 40/90, all in 30.

You see, I am a "dumbass", and as you are clearly a much better player than me, you should beat me easy-peasy every time for say seven games. So, I am flexable, you offer me odds of 7:1 and I will play you "per game ONLY", for ANY amount of money.

If you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk.

[EDIT] PS. A draw pays out at 3.5:1

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I dont have the time to play so many standard games. Though if you want 7/0 bet on 1 minute games, $100, ur on. :)

We can play online on chesskit if you dont live in sydney. Beta 3 will be released soon.

Edit: Sorry, I must quote this before you take it out of your message :lol:

I am a "dumbass" :owned:

PHAT
07-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I dont have the time to play so many standard games. Though if you want 7/0 bet on 1 minute games, $100, ur on. :)

Hang on a minute Sunnny Jim.

1. You asserted that I am a dumbass.
2. You tell me about how good you are.
3. I challenged you to beat me seven-blot for $100 even.
4. You ask me blitz or standard.
5. I accept your offer of standard.
6. You want to play single bet game(s).
7. I accept single games at seven-blot odds.
8. You turn to jelly and start talking bullet.

If money is the problem, lets talk something else. You beat me in a single standard game and I will self exile myself from the BB for 1 month. I beat you and you give me superadmin. powers for 7 months.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Sweeney, You are a dickhead.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Sweeney = Ignored ;)

PHAT
07-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Goody. Jeo has dropped his bundle. Since he will not be reading anything from me, I expect that he will not respond to the following flame.

Karthink is a boy who thinks he is a man. He used to lay awake at night fiddling and gropping his imagination as to how good it would be to be a SUPERmoderator with all of the ACF BB minions under his iron fist. Unfortuntely he "wished too hard of what he wanted" and got pasted for his purile stance at adult behaviour. The limp-wristed twerp folded under the pressure. Now he has gone all sooky and likes to secreatl ytinker and tamper with the ACF BB section and wonders why posters are up him again. He ain't got no sense that boy. Then, he dishes out abuse about playing ability but, when called on to put his money where his mouth is, he pillows like a yellow marshmellow slit.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Also, note how he doesn't want to mention where he lives :)

PHAT
07-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Also, note how he doesn't want to mention where he lives :)

That is because I took the effort to cleverly hide it in my "Public Profile" - I am in Wollongong, tosser.

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Sweeney, You are a dickhead.
Given the post to which this was a response is no longer visible, this does not make sense.

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Sweeney = Ignored ;)
Looks like whatever you did, all of his posts on the bb are no longer visible.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Oh shit. That sucks :(

Whoever I ignore = everyone ignores ...

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Lemme guess, because you agreed to not moderate the threads you couldnt delete his offenisve post.
You therefore decided to effectively remove it by making his posts invisble. Of course you could not restrict this to just one post so it effects all his posts.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Erm, as I said before I put him on ignore. For some reason, anyone the admin ignores, is ignored by everyone.

skip to my lou
07-02-2004, 08:24 PM
His shitty posts should be available again. Guess I'll just stay away from the board and work on Play Chess.

antichrist
30-07-2006, 09:19 PM
A bit hypocritical because I remember STML voting for Matt as one of his favourite posters????

Desmond
30-07-2006, 09:59 PM
A bit hypocritical because I remember STML voting for Matt as one of his favourite posters????
Who'd've thunk it - someone changed their mind over 2 1/2 years :rolleyes:

Bill Gletsos
30-07-2006, 10:02 PM
A bit hypocritical because I remember STML voting for Matt as one of his favourite posters????I thought STML was just being satirical.

antichrist
30-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I thought STML was just being satirical.

He did not vote for me, does that mean he likes me??

(I was profoundly hurt)

EZBeet
31-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Were we talking about string theory?

'Strings' have not/do not 'evolve(d)'.

Evolution implies changes over time. These so-called strings exist outside of time, outside of our limited four dimensional perception of a changing universe, which is in fact a simultanious event.

Hope that clears it up :)

bergil
31-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Were we talking about string theory?

Adrian Wapcaplet: Aah, come in, come in, Mr....Simpson. Aaah, welcome to Mousebat, Follicle, Goosecreature, Ampersand, Spong, Wapcaplet, Looseliver, Vendetta and Prang!
Mr. Simpson: Thank you.
Wapcaplet: Do sit down--my name's Wapcaplet, Adrian Wapcaplet...
Mr. Simpson: how'd'y'do.
Wapcaplet: Now, Mr. Simpson... Simpson, Simpson... French, is it?
S: No.
W: Aah. Now, I understand you want us to advertise your washing powder.
S: String.
W: String, washing powder, what's the difference. We can sell *anything*.
S: Good. Well I have this large quantity of string, a hundred and twenty-two
thousand *miles* of it to be exact, which I inherited, and I thought if I
advertised it--
W: Of course! A national campaign. Useful stuff, string, no trouble there.
S: Ah, but there's a snag, you see. Due to bad planning, the hundred and
twenty-two thousand miles is in three inch lengths. So it's not very
useful.
W: Well, that's our selling point!
"SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL STRINGETTES!"
S: What?
W: "THE NOW STRING! READY CUT, EASY TO HANDLE, SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR STRINGETTES - JUST THE RIGHT LENGTH!"
S: For what?
W: "A MILLION HOUSEHOLD USES!"
S: Such as?
W: Uhmm...Tying up very small parcels, attatching notes to pigeons' legs, uh,
destroying household pests...
S: Destroying household pests?! How?
W: Well, if they're bigger than a mouse, you can strangle them with it, and if
they're smaller than, you flog them to death with it!
S: Well *surely*!....
W: "DESTROY NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF KNOWN HOUSEHOLD PESTS WITH PRE-SLICED, RUSTPROOF, EASY-TO-HANDLE, LOW CALORIE SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL EMPEROR STRINGETTES, FREE FROM ARTIFICIAL COLORING, AS USED IN HOSPITALS!"
S: 'Ospitals!?!?!?!!?
W: Have you ever in a Hospital where they didn't have string?
S: No, but it's only *string*!
W: ONLY STRING?! It's everything! It's...it's waterproof!
S: No it isn't!
W: All right, it's water resistant then!
S: It isn't!
W: All right, it's water absorbent! It's...Super Absorbent String! "ABSORB WATER TODAY WITH SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL WATER ABSORB-A-TEX STRINGETTES! AWAY WITH FLOODS!"
S: You just said it was waterproof!
W: "AWAY WITH THE DULL DRUDGERY OF WORKADAY TIDAL WAVES! USE SIMPSON'S INDIVIDUAL FLOOD PREVENTERS!"
S: You're mad!
W: Shut up, shut up, shut up! Sex, sex sex, must get sex into it. Wait,
I see a television commercial-

There's this nude woman in a bath holding a bit of your string. That's
great, great, but we need a doctor, got to have a medical opinion.

There's a nude woman in a bath with a doctor--that's too sexy. Put an
archbishop there watching them, that'll take the curse off it. Now, we
need children and animals.

There's two kids admiring the string, and a dog admiring the archbishop
who's blessing the string. Uhh...international flavor's missing...make the
archbishop Greek Orthodox. Why not Archbishop Macarios? No, no, he's
dead... nevermind, we'll get his brother, it'll be cheaper... So, there's
this nude woman....