PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite opening?

Frank Walker
26-09-2005, 08:27 PM
What is your favourite opening?

Kevin Bonham
26-09-2005, 10:29 PM
See .sig. Rather obvious really but I do average about 79% with this defence (I invariably respond ...e6 to 1.e4 and don't care who knows it) compared with 72% for all other games, including the White ones. My favourite line is the Closed Tarrasch (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6) with which I've scored 91%.

I also like the Rossolimo Sicilian (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5) and have scored 82% with that.

I started playing the English a few years ago now and then and have so far played it sixteen times without losing (+10=6). I wouldn't however say that I like all lines of the English for White, but I'm not letting on which ones annoy me. :lol:

Trent Parker
27-09-2005, 02:37 PM
My favorite opening (which i have recently "shelved") is the Blackmar-Diemar Gambit. I still play this in skittles games but don't play it in tourney anymore..... I am trying to get a bit more of a positional game rather than an out and out attacking game.....

One of my old faithful openings which i still bring out of the closet is the Colle System. I also generally use the semislav against White which can be a similar position only reversed.....

Recently ive been playing Queens Gambit as white.

I occasionally play the Scandinavian (portugese variation). But i play this less than what i used to as well.

I occasionally play the french. Hey KB i had a great game as black in the closed tarrasch. Should have drawn it but blundered.... played too quick and picked up my rook instead of my king.... :doh:

Recently ive been playing the __________ Defense as black......

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2005, 11:10 PM
My favorite opening (which i have recently "shelved") is the Blackmar-Diemar Gambit.

I meant to post something predicting that someone would say that. Here for all you BDG addicts is a spray against your favourite opening that I came across recently:

Iíve seen more promising players lured into incompetence by this opening than I care to remember. The basic pattern is this - player learns BDG, tries to get it in every game, thus limiting his chess experience (and, since the opening isnít good, he loses too many games, meaning that his rating stays low and he canít get games against better players). Nobody who plays good chess plays this line, and nobody who plays good chess ever will.

That's probably overstating it just a tad, but I'll admit I'm also a BDG-sceptic ... though since I can just play 2...e6 and get a position I score very highly from plus annoy the BDG player considerably, I don't see any need to attempt to refute it properly.

Trent Parker
28-09-2005, 01:59 AM
I meant to post something predicting that someone would say that. Here for all you BDG addicts is a spray against your favourite opening that I came across recently:

That's probably overstating it just a tad, but I'll admit I'm also a BDG-sceptic ... though since I can just play 2...e6 and get a position I score very highly from plus annoy the BDG player considerably, I don't see any need to attempt to refute it properly.

well to tell the truth i actually prefer it when i can go into tha alapin. i like it more than BDG!

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2005, 02:04 AM
I've actually never faced that in a tournament game, but those intending to play it against me should be warned that I have prepared to face it!

qpawn
20-01-2006, 09:37 AM
1.d4 d5
2.e4 e4
3. nc3 nf6
4. f3 f3
5. nf3 e6

This is the Euwe defence to the BDG: generally regarded by theory as black's sounded course//.

ElevatorEscapee
21-01-2006, 01:41 PM
The "Barrow Double Piece Sacrifice" in the Keres Gambit against the Sicilian... ;-)

For some reason, no one (apart from Fritz) has ever played it against me!

I also like a variation of the four pawns attack against the Alekhine defence, which I managed to spring on both my targetted opponent (in a Bendigo Club Championship) and an unwitting victim who uses earplugs... The attack just rolled over that man! ;-) :-D

Jesse Jager
23-01-2006, 01:23 PM
The najdorf varation of the sicilian, in particular the posioned pawn varation. :D

And the arkangel varation of the Spanish.

On another note openings i hate to play against are: 1. The london, 2. The colle, 3. The stonewall attack, 4. And the reti.

:wall:

qpawn
24-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Against the Reti just play the new York defence: put pawns at d5, c6 and e6 while putting the bishop at f5 outside the pawn chain. :)

against the london system look for an early ...c5.

Colle system doesn't have any instant answer that comes to mind.

What is the stonewall attack? Stonewall Dutch as white?

EGOR
24-01-2006, 12:10 PM
What is the stonewall attack? Stonewall Dutch as white?
It's similar to the Colle System except you play f4 before Nf3 and set up a 'stone wall' of c3,d4,e3,f4.

Aaron Bellette
24-01-2006, 06:19 PM
White - English, Bird's, Reti and 1 Nf3, Scotch, Catalan (via English)

Black - Scandanavian Nf6 (OTB), Scheveningen Sicilian (Corr), Nimzo- and Bogo-Indian, Modern Benoni

MrSornia
02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I have always played, in my 8 year career (if you can call it that :) ) the Spanish Exchange with 5 d4. At my club level over here in Britain (BCF 108, ELO approx 1800) nobody knows to keep the two bishops; I can regularly dismantle Junior at 2300 level with this opening as well. For Black, I also get superb results with the Petroff, to which a majority erroneously respond 3 Nc3?. I also play the QGA, though not too hot on it.

BrainsUK
14-02-2006, 06:55 AM
The Two Knights for either side! :)

14-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I actually dont mind 1.h4

Regards

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I actually dont mind 1.h4

I used to play this in blitz sessions against a 1600s player here who I was probably scoring 75% against in blitz. I wouldn't play it repeatedly, but I'd slip it in once per session, after a dozen games or so. It kept working and working and working and he hated how I continually won with it. After fifteen or so wins he finally beat it.

qpawn
15-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I luv the catalan.
It rocks baby :)

It's not in the poll so I will keep it a secret between myself and Korchnoi :lol:

Kevin Bonham
15-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I like the Catalan too, what little of I know of it. But as I virtually never play 1.d4 I don't get that kind of position all that often.

Southpaw Jim
16-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I am utterly shocked that the Monkey's Bum variation is not listed! :eek: :lol:

Not to mention the Monkey's Bum Deferred :)

qpawn
17-02-2006, 08:59 AM
I am shocked that the Reagan attack is not listed. Since we are the 51st state of the US this opening is essential knowledge for all players :D

Duff McKagan
19-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Vague choice of openings in this poll... another vote for 'Other'

Davidflude
19-02-2006, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=Kevin Bonham]I meant to post something predicting that someone would say that. Here for all you BDG addicts is a spray against your favourite opening that I came across recently:

Well I scored 60% with the BDG in the Champions League Correspondence.
Remember all my opponents were higher rated than me up to 2400 ICCF rating.

These days I only play it after

1. e4 d5
2. d4 dxe
3. Nc3 Nf6
4. f3

Of course as I am an e4 player I am prepared for the French and Caro Kann

I have a mass of TN's waiting to be sprung on unsuspecting turkeys in the BDG.

Alan Shore
20-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Vague choice of openings in this poll... another vote for 'Other'

Yes, definitely 'other'.

The 'picnic' variation is still my favourite Comrade. :D

Pharoah
19-07-2006, 01:33 PM
The DesprŤs, 1. h4 :)

(I'm sane)

Arrogant-One
19-07-2006, 01:57 PM
How come the Dutch Leningrad 8.) ... Qe8 opening isn't on this poll?

qpawn
16-08-2006, 06:56 PM
In secret places where they hide
the Latvian lovers reside
they cook up their quirky defence of fire
and care not for the mock and ire
they so cunning lie in this poll
but to tell the truth would take its toll.

:D

ER
17-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I am utterly shocked that the Monkey's Bum variation is not listed! :eek: :lol:

Not to mention the Monkey's Bum Deferred :)
What about the Poisoned Monkey's Bum? :hmm:
Cheers and best wishes!

Ghost Dog
27-01-2009, 01:53 AM
the usual sicilian for me!!;)

Spiny Norman
27-01-2009, 05:34 AM
I'm a big fan of the Leningrad Dutch, but I keep it for use only against certain players.

AzureBlue
27-01-2009, 07:53 AM
The Sicilian is awesome! :P :D :D :) :)

MichaelBaron
30-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I hate em all :) :owned:

ER
30-01-2009, 11:07 AM
two negatives make one positive??? :hmm:

Capablanca-Fan
30-01-2009, 11:13 AM
When they multiply they do.

Rincewind
30-01-2009, 11:38 AM

In English the double negative implies a positive and therefore grammar teachers strongly discourage their use. e.g.

"I didn't read nothing", means I read something. Although this is usually not the meaning intended by the author.

However in Italian (for example) double negatives are normal and the correct way to affirm the negative. For example <<Non ho mai letto niente>> transliterates to "I didn't read nothing" but translates to "I didn't read anything".

So one should be careful when saying that "two negatives make a positive". It depends on your linguistic orientation. (Also transliterations should be treated cautiously as the meaning can be the opposite of the corresponding translation).

ER
30-01-2009, 05:29 PM
lol Michael deleted the extra one! [no, I did - mod]

then you stuffed up responses to the original that means mine and yours to mine. Nonetheless mine was a joke and yours was boring! :P

Saragossa
30-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah I'm all in for catalan altough the open lines give me a bit of trouble. The queen on c4 seems oddly placed or (I just don't know how to use it properly).
And the Petrosian system in the QID is another favourite.

Used to like the ponziani until a piece sac was found that seemed to work (I think Rogers played it against Halpin but lost and another case in modern chess won with it on the black side) so now I'm still deciding how to take the 1e4 e5 opening on.

CameronD
30-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I say other.

Exchange slav - short draw variation

Kaitlin
31-01-2009, 12:41 PM
..the sound of a packet of chips... not just any chips .. thins :drool:

Saragossa
03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Has anybody here found a novelty? but not a half baked one like a genuine one that you think could be used at higher levels?

Kevin Bonham
03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Has anybody here found a novelty? but not a half baked one like a genuine one that you think could be used at higher levels?

There have been a few TNs by a few of us in some of the better freestyle games that would probably be viable OTB at GM level. I don't think I've ever played a suitable novelty OTB but some of the titled players here would have.

Kaitlin
18-04-2009, 09:36 PM
What is the Elephant

..if someone shows me the elephant .. I will use it for my next 100 games I promise

Rincewind
18-04-2009, 09:43 PM
What is the Elephant

..if someone shows me the elephant .. I will use it for my next 100 games I promise

It might be difficult unless you plan to play your next 100 games as black.

It is a not quite correct gambit which goes...

1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5!?

Hilarity generally ensues.

Well perhaps it is not quit that bad. According to Tim Harding it is just about playable below Master strength. You can read more here...

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kibitz15.txt

Edit: The Oxford Companion to Chess has this to say about it (under the entry Queen's Pawn Counter-gambit)

a line of doubtful merit, first mentioned by ASPERLING*, and sometimes called the Englund Counterattack.

*Asperling wrote the only significant chess work of the latter half of the 17th century.

Davidflude
20-04-2009, 10:16 AM

I found one for white on move two and played it in the Champions League which is a high standard of correspondence.

1.f4 Nh6 given in Secret Opening Surprises. I looked at all the games played with this move and did not like any of the moves played.

I played 2.d4 which Brian Jones told me was a theoretical innovation.

Correspondence players of all levels especially the really strong ones keep producing new moves which overturn over the board theory.

I found one in the King's Gambit but never had the chance to play it. stefan Bucker found a new idea which improved on my analysis. You will find it in the Chess cafe archives. Sufficient to say the the Gm's on Chesspublishing.com think that it has changed the evaluation of the line from better for black to better for white.

Hint for over the board players. Check out correspondence games from IECG and ICCF in your favorite lines.

Davidflude
20-04-2009, 10:19 AM
It might be difficult unless you plan to play your next 100 games as black.

It is a not quite correct gambit which goes...

1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5!?

Hilarity generally ensues.

Well perhaps it is not quit that bad. According to Tim Harding it is just about playable below Master strength. You can read more here...

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kibitz15.txt

Edit: The Oxford Companion to Chess has this to say about it (under the entry Queen's Pawn Counter-gambit)

a line of doubtful merit, first mentioned by ASPERLING*, and sometimes called the Englund Counterattack.

*Asperling wrote the only significant chess work of the latter half of the 17th century.

I have played it in correspondence in a fixed openings tournament. Black did much better than white in he tournament.

I have several books on this opening. Use if for blitz or allegro.

Schu
25-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm a fan of flexible openings, I'll quite often play e6 against d4 to keep my options more open, and my particular pet line is the Black Knight's Tango (1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 Nc6), which just about has to be the best name for an opening ever! I also like playing Nf3 as another means to keep my options open (though it usually burns my chances at playing my favourite e4 openings. I like some variations of the Ruy Lopez where one can play c3 before the Ba4 is obliged to retreat to b3, giving it a cute hole at c2 to stay in, and I like the berlin defence to the ruy lopez.

Redmond Barry
26-06-2009, 03:26 AM
A57 Benko Gambit Nescafe Frappe Gambit

i love this opening because it proves that brand awareness for a swiss maker of coffee includes indoctrinating chess opening devotees with a product line they may not have been conversant with.

people mention on here its difficult to raise money for chess. thats silly talk. why not sell the naming rights of opening systems to multinationals. wouldnt it be more fun to use such openings as .......

C42 petrov toyota vienta attack
D08 queens gambit declined albin counter gambit arnotts milk arrowroot variation
B10 caro kann pepsi max defence

or maybe the highly respected

B85 sicilian scheveningen smith and wesson
D88 gruenfeld microsoft-spassky variation
C95 ruy lopez breyer libra maxi pads variation

i also like the frankenstein dracula.......... ;) ;)

Basil
26-06-2009, 10:26 AM
What? No Tromp? This is not a poll - it's a joke ;)

ER
26-06-2009, 10:41 AM
What? No Tromp? This is not a poll - it's a joke ;)
I think they have an "other" option!:owned:

Rincewind
26-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I think they have an "other" option!:owned:

I didn't think anyone loved the Tromp. It was just played by Queens Gambit players who couldn't face the Nimzo. :)

Tony Dowden
20-09-2009, 09:08 PM
The French. Its a well worn garment but always surprises me with new wrinkles. Against 1.e4 I've also played Pirc, Modern, Sicilian, Alekhine's, and even 1...e5.

I've experimented with the English in recent years (I wish I had KB's record with it!) but 1.e4 is a better way to use the White pieces unless playing someone who is very well prepared.

Kevin Bonham
21-09-2009, 04:01 AM
I've experimented with the English in recent years (I wish I had KB's record with it!) but 1.e4 is a better way to use the White pieces unless playing someone who is very well prepared.

My record with the English is no longer as good as it was at the start of this thread. I've had three losses with it now, against Dyer, Markovitz and Steward. The Dyer one (first time he beat me when he was only rated 1300-odd) was a close game and was one of those things that happens at short time controls, not the fault of my opening play. The other two were lopsided, the Steward one in particular; my play in that game had no redeeming merit whatsoever.

Tony Dowden
22-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I used to love the King's Gambit.

So much fun - and some romance :oops: - but I was too predictable and I'm sure it kept my rating down for about 10 years!

I finally realised that Bobby Fischer was right and the King's Knight Gambit was 'busted' in about half a dozen lines :(

It's a mean surprise weapon though :cool:

Davidflude
23-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I used to love the King's Gambit.

So much fun - and some romance :oops: - but I was too predictable and I'm sure it kept my rating down for about 10 years!

I finally realised that Bobby Fischer was right and the King's Knight Gambit was 'busted' in about half a dozen lines :(

It's a mean surprise weapon though :cool:

The King's gambit is not busted. However it is fearsomely complex especially in correspondence. I would not play it unless I had both books by Thomas Johansson. A new book by English GM Shaw is expected soon.

Shocks by both players are well and truly possible. In correspondence recently my opponent produced a new idea not mentioned in a recent Kaissiber article. I cannot make further comments as the game is still in progress. I scored exceptionally well as black against the Kieseritzy Gambit. However two of my wins were a direct result of knowing the antidote to a line recommended as best by Gallagher.

Tony Dowden
23-09-2009, 07:52 PM
The King's gambit is not busted.

Fair call ;)

I meant both subjectively and temporally - that is to say for me in the late 1980s/early 1990's and if I was playing against 2000+ opponents it was pretty much busted :)

But on the bustedness scale its probably better than the Blackmar-Diemer but not too many other openings I can think of (not counting the off-beat stuff like the Englund Gambit and so forth).

By the way, David, I hope to see you at the MCC Cup event. I remember you at an NZ Congess in Upper Hutt waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1970's ...

jhughes
28-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Fair call ;)

I meant both subjectively and temporally - that is to say for me in the late 1980s/early 1990's and if I was playing against 2000+ opponents it was pretty much busted :)

But on the bustedness scale its probably better than the Blackmar-Diemer but not too many other openings I can think of (not counting the off-beat stuff like the Englund Gambit and so forth).

By the way, David, I hope to see you at the MCC Cup event. I remember you at an NZ Congess in Upper Hutt waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1970's ...
The Kings Gambit is not busted, full stop. Fischer himself played it, in fact at the top level it's more common than the Vienna game and the Bishop's opening.

Saragossa
30-04-2010, 09:05 PM
The Kings Gambit is not busted, full stop. Fischer himself played it, in fact at the top level it's more common than the Vienna game and the Bishop's opening.

Yes. However, comparing opening theory in Fischer's times to opening theory in the present would be silly. Many advances in technology and population have enriched our understanding of the opening. In an objective sense, where the objective is to play the best game possible, the Vienna game and Bishop's opening have to be far superior to the King's gambit.

Adamski
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
In an objective sense, where the objective is to play the best game possible, the Vienna game and Bishop's opening have to be far superior to the King's gambit.I disagree. The King's Gambit gives White more winnng chances than either of those other 2 openings.

Saragossa
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I disagree. The King's Gambit gives White more winnng chances than either of those other 2 openings.

Between humans? I agree with this also; however, if super-computers are playing I doubt this entirely. The reason I use super-computers as the base is because they are superior to humans at this time and will be more so when we can make them take all the best from human and computer-like chess. Seeing as I set the objective as, 'to play the best game possible,' it only seems fitting that we use the closest current example to players of the best game possible - computers.

2.Nc3: Games: 4,948| Wins: 39.1%| Draws: 29%| Losses: 31.9%

2.f4: Games: 4,529| Wins: 40.3%| Draws: 19.5%| Losses: 40.3%

2.Bc4: Games: 4,039| Wins: 39.6%| Draws: 31.5%| Losses: 28.9%

Source: (http://www.chess.com/explorer/) Accessed at 6:34PM, 1/5/10

From here we can see that at master level it does offer, negligbly, better winning chances; however, it comes at risk: the King's gambit has a far higher losing rate. Which when compared to the amount of winning oppurtunity gained it doesn't look like that great an expedition.

So if you are a risk loving player then the King's gambit is certainly for you. Although keep in mind if playing the best game possible is your goal then I don't think it should come to mind. Additionally, 1. e4 e5 2. d4... scores better than the King's gambit, although from less games, it certainly doesn't get the same approval rate.

Sheroff
27-08-2010, 07:15 PM
"The King's Gambit is Busted" by Fischer is a must-read article for anyone who plays this opening as white or black. Certainly there are not many top GMs playing the Gambit these days, mainly because there are so many ways for Black to equalize or better. For Black, find a system against it that works, and stick to it. There are several. 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 Nf6 is stronger than it looks - White does better with 4.Nc3 d5 5.exd5 than the aggessive but relatively harmless 4.e5, which puts the Black knight on h5, a dandy square. Also interesting is 1.e4 e5 2.f4 Nc6 3.Nf3 f5!?, which can surprise unsuspecting White players and get them into all sorts of strife if they try a direct refutation. I can't remember the last time I lost a tournament game as Black against the King's Gambit, but I have plenty of easy crushes as Black. I love seeing 2.f4...but stop just short of salivating...

The King's Gambit is sounder than, say, the Albin Counter-Gambit (which is fun to play, but leaves little room for error), but the sharp fangs it had in the old days have been largely blunted by more modern defensive theory.

The Evans Gambit, well there's another story...

Cheers,

Kevin Casey

Kevin Bonham
27-08-2010, 10:50 PM
The title of the Fischer article for those wanting to look for it is actually "A Bust To The King's Gambit". Text here (PDF):

http://www.academicchess.org/images/pdf/chessgames/fischerbust.pdf

James Peirce
20-11-2012, 09:51 AM
My personal favourite opening is the Scotch, it is fairly uncommon and difficult to play against as Black unless you know all the opening theory like I do, I still have trouble playing against the Scotch as Black!