PDA

View Full Version : Chess Chat Forum changes

Rincewind
23-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Sub-forum created for the 2006 Australian Chess Championships

To be used to discuss everything about the 2006 Aust Championships, Juniors, Major, Minor and all support events, travel and accommodation plans, other things to see while in Brisbane, etc.

Enjoy and thanks Freddy for the suggestion.

Garvinator
23-09-2005, 09:42 PM
where is the sub forum?

Rincewind
23-09-2005, 10:01 PM
where is the sub forum?

Under Tournament News and Results

Australian Chess Championships 2006 (http://chesschat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)

Rincewind
16-02-2006, 08:20 PM
A few of the less active forums have been moved to the Archived section and all such forums are contained in a sub-forum called Archived Forums. This was done tidy up the active part of the board and save some space on the main index page.

All forums in the archived section are closed. I think the remaining issues from Mt Buller 2005 can be discussed in appropriate threads on other forums. In fact, some of those threads already exist.

ElevatorEscapee
16-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Will there ever be a "Spring Cleaning?" ;)

Alan Shore
16-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Will there ever be a "Spring Cleaning?" ;)

That'd be fun, a total purge on useless threads...

I guess that'd be too arbitrary though on what constitutes useless though..

Although the 'How competitive do you want it to be' may be a unanimous candidate!'

ElevatorEscapee
16-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Mr Starter may have to introduce a "competitive thread" index... ;)

Rincewind
16-08-2006, 03:06 PM
New sub-forum created for Correspondence Tournament #3 and the #2 forum has been moved to archive.

If all the game threads are annoying nonplayers I recommend the following procedure when first logging on to chesschat to read posts:

(1) Go to the Correspondence Match sub-forum.
(2) Click on the Forum Tools->Mark Forum Read option
(3) Click on the New Posts option

None of the game threads should then appear.

Rincewind
16-09-2008, 05:27 PM
New sub-forum created for Chess Chat Freestyle Tournament #4 and the #3 forum has been moved to archive.

ElevatorEscapee
19-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow! One change in 2 years! Should this thread become a "sticky"? :D

Trent Parker
24-09-2008, 08:00 AM
There were other changes but not announced here I think.....

Rincewind
08-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Chess Chat Tournament #7 has been moved to archive.

Basil
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Chess Chat Tournament #7 has been moved to archive.
Perhaps we can archive some posters! ;)

Is reminded to be very carefuful what one wishes for :doh: Bell tolling and all that.

Bill Gletsos
10-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Access to the Coffee Lounge now requires 500 posts.

Those posters who already have access to the CL but have less than 500 posts will not lose their access.

eclectic
10-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Those posters who already have access to the CL but have less than 500 posts will not lose their access.

any chance we can make it that anyone who has not posted in there for more than 500 days loses their access too? :rolleyes:

i shouldn't be so cruel but ... :whistle:

Miranda
11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
500?!

I've got a long, long, loonnngg way to go then

Hm.. perhaps I should stop lurking and start posting!

Garvinator
11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
500?!

Do not worry Miranda. I can assure you, you are not missing anything by not being able to see the coffee lounge. For about the last year or so, it has been no different than the regular forum.

Same type of threads, same types of discussion. It has kinda picked up the nickname as the tea sofa for how mild it has become.

MichaelBaron
11-10-2008, 11:09 PM
500?!

I have not been checking-out the coffee-launghe for months now :)

Basil
11-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Rubbish! Don't listen to him Miranda. It's great! It's amazing! You have no idea of what goes on in there. You wouldn't, in fact, couldn't believe it. It's maaaaad!

It's the other side of chess. It's got all the gossip - everything. All the cool people post in there. When the main board is quiet - the CL rocks! In fact, I'm going there now. Hot dog.

Garvinator
11-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Rubbish! Don't listen to him Miranda. It's great! It's amazing! You have no idea of what goes on in there. You wouldn't, in fact, couldn't believe it. It's maaaaad!

It's the other side of chess. It's got all the gossip - everything. All the cool people post in there. When the main board is quiet - the CL rocks! In fact, I'm going there now. Hot dog.
Utter utter utter Utter utter utter Utter utter utter Utter utter utter Utter utter utter

ER
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
where is the CL?

Bill Gletsos
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
where is the CL?On the main forum page below the shoutbox. You have previously posted in the Coffee Lounge.

eclectic
12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
ahhh ...

so CL isn't code for Clue Less

:doh:

Metro
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM

What is reason for change?

Bill Gletsos
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
What is reason for change?Originally those that gained access to the CL had very high posts per day rates but over time those with much lower posts per day rates have gained access.
Therefore to offset this continuing to happen the posts limit has been raised.

In hindsight this probably should have happened sooner.

sleepless
12-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm all for segregating garrulous posters.

ER
13-10-2008, 02:11 AM
On the main forum page below the shoutbox. You have previously posted in the Coffee Lounge.

Thanks Bill, I hadn't a clue really! Usually i post according to the topic and not the category! Good to know though! :)
CAGLES

and I just noticed I am getting close to 1500 postings!!! I usually counted my shoutbox ones!!! Now that I have so many i think i ll give some for free, or should I auction them? Starting with say 50c initial price?
CAGLES :)

Rincewind
26-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Teen forum created in the Non-Chess forum. Forum will be self-regulated and moderated by the regular moderator team.

Miranda
26-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Teen forum created in the Non-Chess forum. Forum will be self-regulated and moderated by the regular moderator team.
I have an idea - how about making teen mods to mod the teen forum? ;)

Rincewind
27-11-2008, 08:09 AM
I have an idea - how about making teen mods to mod the teen forum? ;)

It is a possibility for the future but at present we'll go with what we have. If a large community of posters develops perhaps you suggestion will be taken on board. Personally, I'd prefer a teen member to the board-wide moderation team than a moderator specific to the one forum.

Kaitlin
27-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Sounds boring to me

Watto
28-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Almost half the posts on Welcome to the Teen Forum are not by teens. What about having a thread in non-chess for Comments/Issues relating to the Teen Forum? Otherwise I suspect the teen forum itself will be overrun by adults, which might make it lively but kind of defeats the purpose...

Kevin Bonham
28-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Almost half the posts on Welcome to the Teen Forum are not by teens. What about having a thread in non-chess for Comments/Issues relating to the Teen Forum? Otherwise I suspect the teen forum itself will be overrun by adults, which might make it lively but kind of defeats the purpose...

So far since it is only the "Welcome To Teen Forum" thread I don't think there is much danger of swamping; comments from adults on other threads have been rare (and I doubt the adults could swamp it if they tried given the pace of the teen posters.)

However your suggestion is a good one and I will implement a version of it by moving all the comment posts by adults to the existing Suggest Teen Forum thread and renaming that thread.

Miranda
28-11-2008, 01:19 PM
So far since it is only the "Welcome To Teen Forum" thread I don't think there is much danger of swamping; comments from adults on other threads have been rare (and I doubt the adults could swamp it if they tried given the pace of the teen posters.)

You can call me Speedy McGee ;)

Adamski
28-11-2008, 01:23 PM
You can call me Speedy McGee ;)McGee from NCIS? He's long-suffering where the insufferable Tony de Nozo's "psychological bullying" is concerned...

Miranda
28-11-2008, 01:25 PM
McGee from NCIS? He's long-suffering where the insufferable Tony de Nozo's "psychological bullying" is concerned...
McGee just sounds funny :P

eclectic
28-11-2008, 01:35 PM
i can't see the point of it

Miranda
28-11-2008, 01:39 PM
i can't see the point of it
What, the teens forum?

Adamski
28-11-2008, 01:54 PM
What, the teens forum?I am guessing, but maybe Ec meant Miranda's "Speedy McGee" comment. I.e., he did not see how it was a joke. The point here is I think that it almost rhymes and is a variation of sorts on Speedy Gonzales as in the cartoon.

Space_Dude
29-11-2008, 10:37 AM
500?!

it didn't take that long...

Rincewind
30-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Forum name changed to "Chess Chat - Australia's Premier Chess Forum".

ER
30-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Forum name changed to "Chess Chat - Australia's Premier Chess Forum".

What was it's name before? I forgot! :)

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2008, 12:02 PM
What was it's name before? I forgot! :)It used to just say "Chess Chat Forum".

ER
30-12-2008, 12:24 PM
It used to just say "Chess Chat Forum".

Yeah, I checked it out actually, because I tried to log in with the old name and It worked! The new name looks good anyway! I hope nothing changes in terms of administration, facilities, presentation etc!
CAGLES

Kaitlin
30-12-2008, 09:02 PM
"CCAPCF" :eh: ....:hmm:

...... "CC" for short :D:

sometimes I still even call it "CK" :doh:..
...showing my age there ..:lol: rofl

Space_Dude
31-12-2008, 03:32 PM
"CCAPCF" :eh: ....:hmm:

...... "CC" for short :D:

sometimes I still even call it "CK" :doh:..
...showing my age there ..:lol: rofl
What does CK stand for?? :huh:

Adamski
31-12-2008, 03:36 PM
What does CK stand for?? :huh:Chess Kiddies maybe - in view of the recent influx of teens. Or Chess Khatters, or...

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2008, 05:40 PM
What does CK stand for?? :huh:

Chesskit. See http://chesskit.com/ (somewhat out of date now). Used to be the "main" site for this forum. If you click on "community" you wind up here.

skip to my lou
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Kevin and Bill have been made Admins of this site and will join Barry in the the ongoing adminstration.

Garrett
02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
congrats Bill 'n Kevin

thanks to all the mods and admins for making this a cool community to be part of.

Cheers
Garrett.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks Garrett.

I'd just like to say thanks at this point to Barry (Rincewind) for the excellent work he has done doing practically all the forum admin work over the past few years. In particular, this forum couldn't live without effective spam control and Barry has been the major part of that. Other important parts of the admin's role include creating and archiving forums and providing more flexible options for the mods to deal with problem posters (such as setting up the option to ban people from the shoutbox without a full site ban).

Having added admin functions will not be affecting our level of activity as moderators. It will take me a while to get my head around them all anyway.

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Let me second Kevin's comments regarding the excellent work done by Barry. His admin role has also seen him responsible for any IP bans of spammers, making requested username changes etc.

Basil
02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
While not privy to the machinations of the specifics, I know enough to echo the sentiments expressed above.

ER
02-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Kevin and Bill have been made Admins of this site and will join Barry in the the ongoing adminstration.

Someone clue me in please... Weren't Bill and Kevin Admins before?
CAGLES

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Someone clue me in please... Weren't Bill and Kevin Admins before?

No, we were only moderators. Now we are admins and moderators!

ER
02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Does that increase your amount or work, responsibilities, rights and powers? BTW congratulations as I am sure the decidion was partly made by my including you three guys in my list of "must read" posters! :P
CAGLES

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Does that increase your amount or work, responsibilities, rights and powers?

Most likely we will be able to use it to reduce workload rather than increase it, eg we can probably find still more ways to kill off spammers before they can post.

It does increase our powers in theory but probably not much in practice since significant changes to the forum in the past that have required admin power have typically been made by consensus involving the admins and active mods.

It also increases our responsibilities because there is more stuff we can see that it would often not be responsible to reveal.

Space_Dude
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Congrats Kevin & Bill! Hope you do a great job! ;)

Adamski
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Congrats Kevin & Bill! Hope you do a great job! ;)Ditto, and I am sure they will. I join with others in offering my thanks to Barry Cox for the great job he has done as an Admin - and I am sure will continue to do. (He is excused from Admin and Mod work at the moment. He is of course playing chess at Manly!)

Kevin Bonham
22-03-2009, 06:44 PM
"Chess Australia" forum closed and moved to archive. Newsbot postings to this forum ceased in mid-2007 and since then the forum has simply caused confusion with many threads being placed in it that should have been placed in other forums. All threads posted to it since the newsbots ceased posting have been rehoused in their appropriate places.

Bill Gletsos
29-07-2009, 05:16 PM
New forum "Overseas Tournament News and Results" created.

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Because of the continual bumping of very old threads by spammers, I have limited posting rights in the News/Announcements section to posters with at least three posts. It is likely that the same types of spammers will now post in Non-Chess instead but at least they will no longer be bumping threads that are years old.

If you have less than three posts but wish to comment on something in this section please do so in the Help and Feedback section.

Oepty
29-06-2011, 12:42 PM
The shoutbox is back.

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2011, 05:08 PM
I've created a new subforum to house Correspondence Chess news threads that are not related to corro games on this site. As many old threads of this sort as I could find quickly were transferred to it. Posts in this section do contribute to the poster's postcount.

Kevin Bonham
04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
New subforum "Oceania Chess" created and some recent and a few old Oceania Zone (non-Aus/NZ) threads moved into it. If anyone would like to propose more old threads be moved into it let me know which ones by PM.

This subforum is on a trial basis only and its continued existence will be reviewed based on its activity level.

antichrist
26-10-2013, 06:13 AM
are sticky notes an option on this site - good for advertising current tourneys when shoutbox is being flooded

Garrett
26-10-2013, 07:58 AM
just had a quick look. Shoutbox is flooded with your shit.

antichrist
26-10-2013, 09:47 AM
just had a quick look. Shoutbox is flooded with your shit.

thanks for the compliment, I will also pass onto little sprout on your behalf

Rincewind
01-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Note that the Oceania Zonal 2015 threads have undergone some maintenance.

The historical thread dating back to last year has been locked and the two new ones starting with an announcement of it being held at North Sydney Chess Club have been merged into a single thread in the Oceania Sub Forum. Please post in this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15782-2015-Oceania-Zonal-Chess-Championships-OFFICIAL-ANNOUNCEMENT) for information relevant to this tournament.