PDA

View Full Version : Is it Australian championship or just an open tournament?

Leonid Sandler
22-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
I have just learned from ACF e-mail newsletter that a few foreign Gms and Ims would like to participate in Australian championship in Brisbane.I would like to ask you guys is it Australian championship or just a strong by our standarts open tournament.

four four two
22-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I think they may have allowed a few foreigners to play in past Australian championships,they were eligible for the prize money only though. :hmm:

Leonid Sandler
22-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I dont think that Rogers or Johansen would be too pleased with this idea because of very obvious financial reasons.

four four two
22-09-2005, 12:25 PM
True,but I think the foreigners who have played in the past werent as strong as Ftacnik or Chandler. The ACF hasnt confirmed their entry yet,so I guess its just a case of wait and see. :hmm:

pax
22-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Currently it is *not* an open tournament. GMs Schmaltz, Ftacnik and Chandler were admitted to the tournament months ago so that GM norms for Australian players are possible. Foreign players can only play at the discretion of the organising committee.

It now sounds like other players going to Queenstown would like to play in Brisbane. The current list of participants (http://www.*******2006.com/players.htm) now includes FM Dougherty from Canada.

I would assume that any additions to the player list (especially from GMs and IMs), or changes to the eligibility rules would involve consultation with top Australian players (esp Rogers and Johansen). If further players are added, maybe some modification to the prize structure will be required (e.g providing a prize guarantee to the top Australian player).

Brian Jones, of course, foresaw this problem months ago and suggested that this year's Championship be an open event in order to cater to Queenstown travellers.

pax
22-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Sidenote:

I notice that Moulthun Ly is registered to play the Championships, the Junior, the Lightning and the Junior Rapid. That is a hell of a workload (with two full games every day) - he is going to be some kind of exhausted at the end of it. I will be mightily impressed if he does well.

jenni
22-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Sidenote:

I notice that Moulthun Ly is registered to play the Championships, the Junior, the Lightning and the Junior Rapid. That is a hell of a workload (with two full games every day) - he is going to be some kind of exhausted at the end of it. I will be mightily impressed if he does well.

Its a worry isn't it? I think he should have stuck to Aus Champs only, but I can understand that he would like to win the Juniors more convincingly than last year. Winning in your home town would be pretty special too.

Still he is pretty fit and has boundless enthusiasm, so we will see.

pax
22-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Its a worry isn't it? I think he should have stuck to Aus Champs only, but I can understand that he would like to win the Juniors more convincingly than last year. Winning in your home town would be pretty special too.

Still he is pretty fit and has boundless enthusiasm, so we will see.

Good luck to him - that's all I can say. Obviously if he wanted to maximise his performance in one tournament, he would play just one. On the other hand, maybe he just wants to overdose on chess and spend the next two weeks recovering!

Garvinator
22-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Good luck to him - that's all I can say. Obviously if he wanted to maximise his performance in one tournament, he would play just one. On the other hand, maybe he just wants to overdose on chess and spend the next two weeks recovering!
or maybe he is going onto queenstown as well :eek:

pax
22-09-2005, 01:17 PM
or maybe he is going onto queenstown as well :eek:

So it would seem:

http://badbishop.com/queenstownchess/tournament.html

Crikey. He's going to be an IM or a basketcase at the end of all that ;)

Garvinator
22-09-2005, 01:19 PM
So it would seem:

http://badbishop.com/queenstownchess/tournament.html

Crikey. He's going to be an IM or a basketcase at the end of all that ;)
or both :cool:

Ian_Rogers
22-09-2005, 05:32 PM
A short explanation on why the Australian Championship looks as it does to date might be in order.

There has never been a problem with New Zealanders (e.g. Sarapu, Chandler) playing in the Australian Championship, just as Australians have been welcome at the New Zealand Championship.

Temporary residents (such as Miles and Schmaltz) have also been welcomed to Championships in the past.

The odd one out in this year's event is Ftacnik. He was invited before Schmaltz was here; the organiser feeling that four GMs were necessary to provide serious GM norm chances for Smerdon, Zhao, Wohl, et al.

I agree with Leonid that any more ring-ins would make the event into more of an Australian Open than a Championship. I am still baffled as to why the ACF would want to do this, especially only a few months before the tournament.

However Leonid is wrong to believe that I would oppose the extra entries on financial grounds - I expect the extra entries would have more financial impact on players of around Sandler's strength given the relatively short prize list in Brisbane (compared, for example, to Queenstown).

Ian

jenni
22-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I am still baffled as to why the ACF would want to do this, especially only a few months before the tournament.

I understood that the organisers are getting heaps of enquiries from people en route to Queenstown and have sought clarification from the ACF. So perhaps not so much that the ACF want to do it - more a discussion on what the applicable rules are.

Ian_Rogers
22-09-2005, 06:39 PM
If the ACF had changed their Championship rules 6 months ago so that they might help attract extra entries to both Queenstown and Brisbane, I could understand why they were doing so.

However even in that case it would seem more logical to create a new open event after Queenstown rather than turn the Championship into an Open.

Ian

Leonid Sandler
22-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I want to thank Ian for the kind words but I am not fighting for the prize monies in such a strong tournament as Australian championship/open 2005 in Brisbane.As for his ideas about Open just after New Zealand I think it is an excellent proposition.

Frank Walker
22-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Isn't it surposed to be that they can win money but not the Championship?

FM_Bill
05-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I believe there there was a Black Opal tournament immediately after an Oz championship a few years back, this sort of event would be the ideal place to put high-rated foreigners in.

Not keen on putting strong foreigners in the main event, thats what what the Aust Open is for. The Champ is a national tournament.