PDA

View Full Version : Infrastructure Rollout (Phase 1)

skip to my lou
15-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Net Logistics are rolling out many new servers, all configured as DELL Dual Xeon 2.8 - 3.2 Ghz, 4 GB DDR II ECC RAM, 4-6 x 73 GB SCSI in Raid 10.

The upgrade also includes an IP migration to Net Logistics' own (and new) IP range and the activation of the Uecomm fibre connection.

There may be up to 15 minutes downtime for most members. Those who use unreasonable ISPs such as BigPond may face trouble with excessive DNS caching by their ISP. My best effort will be made to push for a NAT/Masquerade setup on ChessChat's current IP so that BigPond users will not be affected for up to a week.

The Chess Chat server is scheduled to be upgraded next Wednesday.

skip to my lou
22-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Site should be loading from the new server now. Tested Hot-Swappable Raid 10 this morning, and it's working just fine.

Spiny Norman
22-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Sounds good STML ... noticed the mention of Uecomm ... I'm on ADSL running into Uecomm fibre here myself, so I am wondering if I will notice a slight performance boost (mind you, the site has always been pretty quick for me anyway).

Another thought, you may recall that I asked regarding browser detection for PDAs and a more plain-vanilla small data transfer i/face some time ago. Something that would be viable when used with GPRS at around $10/MB.

It was really an idle question, but since I am travelling a lot in the next 3 weeks (country VIC and also QLD) I wondered whether it is ever likely to be on the cards? I will be taking my notebook PC with me anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I don't imagine that there would be a lot of demand for it, hence not much incentive for you to put any time into it.

Rincewind
22-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Looks like we might have lost some posted messages though. A post of mine from 1:45 AM last night and a Private Message both seem to have gone. Not worth worry about though.

Trent Parker
22-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Yeah i had a shoutbox entry and a coupla posts rubbed out.....

skip to my lou
24-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Would have lost some posts yes, that's due to the time difference between the actual packaging of the account and the time that restores are finished on the new servers and IPs are masqueraded.

Frosty; I doubt I will find time to do it over the next few weeks, sorry.

Spiny Norman
24-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Frosty; I doubt I will find time to do it over the next few weeks, sorry.
Not a problem at all, "duzzant madder". :)

Alan Shore
24-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Still nothing on that post/forum request I made 7 months ago K, despite that new PHP being released?

skip to my lou
24-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Still nothing on that post/forum request I made 7 months ago K, despite that new PHP being released?

Not PHP - vB.. and I haven't looked at it in a while. Just too busy for the last year now, and likely to be busy till the end of next year. Might find some time to work on chesschat in holidays.

Alan Shore
24-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey, a fellow poster has reported when he tries to get onto the site he gets some message he says: 'it brings up some stupid thing saying... please use chesschat.org' or 67.43.11.40 but clicking them returns to the prompt.. he's using dodo - any ideas?

Garvinator
24-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Hey, a fellow poster has reported when he tries to get onto the site he gets some message he says: 'it brings up some stupid thing saying... please use chesschat.org' or 67.43.11.40 but clicking them returns to the prompt.. he's using dodo - any ideas?
i have received this a few times myself, i am not the friend belthasar talks about.

Spiny Norman
25-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds like a routing setup problem???

skip to my lou
13-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Will be moving to a Canberra server tonight as we now have servers available there, and it will be quicker for people in Canberra/Sydney/Melbourne.

four four two
14-10-2005, 11:59 AM
What a video,Skip! ;)

skip to my lou
14-10-2005, 06:01 PM
What a video,Skip! ;)

What the?

Rincewind
14-10-2005, 06:14 PM
What the?

I think he means the field of dancing badgers. ;)

skip to my lou
14-10-2005, 06:24 PM
I think he means the field of dancing badgers. ;)

Oh ok.. thought he saw me with Merrick & Rosso today -- yes, I met them @ the motor show today.

Rincewind
14-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Oh ok.. thought he saw me with Merrick & Rosso today -- yes, I met them @ the motor show today.

Cool. Did you do the badger dance?

skip to my lou
14-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Cool. Did you do the badger dance?

Nope. It was all too quick, I can't actually remember what happened.

skip to my lou
15-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Transfer done. It should be a lot quicker for people in Canberra/VIC now.

Mischa
15-10-2005, 11:31 PM
thanks honey

BFG
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Is it just my imagination or is the Arcade no more? How do I catch 442's Asteroids score now?

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Looks like another thing missing during the present upgrade.

pax
23-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Have we just backup up to the old version of vbulletin?

Bill Gletsos
23-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Have we just backup up to the old version of vbulletin?I dont think so.
I believe STML has started adding the lost features.

skip to my lou
23-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Have we just backup up to the old version of vbulletin?

No, it's still the new version with the custom style settings, smilies etc.

skip to my lou
23-01-2006, 11:04 AM
FEN is restored, but PGN will take some reprogramming as the whole bbcode parsing program and structure has changed in the new version.

pax
23-01-2006, 11:16 AM
No, it's still the new version with the custom style settings, smilies etc.

Ah, I see. :D

Spiny Norman
24-01-2006, 04:14 PM
I've noticed that the Logout feature seems broken too ... is it just me?

ursogr8
24-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Broken for me too.

Spiny Norman
24-01-2006, 05:27 PM
It behaves differently at home than it does at work (did I say work? shhh!). At home, clicking on Log Out takes me to an interim page where there is another link to logout with. When I click on that alternative link I am correctly logged out.

At work, clicking on Log Out takes me to the interim page, but the alternative "log out link" does not work. When I shut down my browser and then restart it again the site still recognises me as logged in.

I suspect its probably a browser/security/permissions issue but will have to do some more testing.

Spiny Norman
25-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I suspect its probably a browser/security/permissions issue but will have to do some more testing.
Fixed now. Problem was at my end. There were two (2) cookies on my machine (in the C:\Documents and Settings\sfrost\Cookies folder). One was "sfrost@www.chesschat.org" and the other was "sfrost@chesskit.com" or something like that.

This board seems to set the former. So I deleted both, shut down IE, started it up again, logged in, etc. Now, when I logout it properly logs out. Perhaps there's a cookie that was hungover from a previous life as chesskit that was keeping me logged in?