PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever sleep?

skip to my lou
21-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Kevin do you ever sleep?

:D

I get about average 3 hours sleep a day at the moment.

How about you? You manage to post / moderate and you even check the boards at 3 / 4 AM. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2004, 02:59 AM
If you check carefully you won't find many posts at all by me between about 6am and 1pm - there's your answer.

At the moment I am not really doing a lot (odd spots of contract work excepted). And the Tasmanian summer daylight's about 15 hours long, so sleeping through six or seven of those really doesn't matter.

I think on average I sleep about seven hours in every 24, but when it is can vary hugely depending on what I am doing at the time. It only takes me one day to re-adjust from one sleep pattern to another one that is, say, six hours different from it in either direction.

Surprises me how many other chessplayers are up posting between say 12-2.

I really should go to bed now though - have to get up for work in about three hours.

skip to my lou
21-01-2004, 03:15 AM
Me too, got 5 hours till work starts, soooo im off to bed.

Rahul
26-01-2004, 11:20 PM
it used to be the same for me during my final exams.

a lot of caffeine got me through. and now, it still haunts me. i usually dont get to sleep before 3/4 am. :eek:

Gandalf
27-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I refuse to caffeinate. Cold fruit juices usually keep me up, and hot chocolate always gets me to bed. Just don't try both, or you'll be on the can all night.

Rahul
27-01-2004, 09:35 PM
believe me, i feel the same about coffee. and i mean 2 tablespoons of coffee + 3/4 tablespoons of sugar + 1 cup of boiling water. *shudders*

the taste was putrid, but got me through the night.

skip to my lou
27-01-2004, 09:37 PM
maybe it was the taste that kept you awake then ;)

Rahul
27-01-2004, 09:43 PM
lol, i wouldnt be surprised it was. although i would always rinse my mouth thoroughly. words cannot describe that taste! :S

Garvinator
27-01-2004, 11:03 PM
lol, i wouldnt be surprised it was. although i would always rinse my mouth thoroughly. words cannot describe that taste! :S

with soap ;)

skip to my lou
27-01-2004, 11:04 PM
with soap ;)
Normal people like Rahul and I ... We use toothpaste.

You should try it some time ggrayggray

Garvinator
29-01-2004, 12:28 AM
talk about not sleeping, the record says 39 ppl on here at 1:05am :eek:

Kevin Bonham
30-01-2004, 12:48 AM
talk about not sleeping, the record says 39 ppl on here at 1:05am :eek:

Is that accurate? I'm amazed there were so many on at once, were they mostly guests reading all the sad goss from the Aus Juniors thread?

skip to my lou
30-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Yeah. But they were mostly in Aus Chess.

skip to my lou
30-01-2004, 01:14 AM
And out of those 40 it was about 15 registered I think.

arosar
30-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Many of them could also have been OS.

AR

AES
05-02-2004, 03:53 PM
39 people at 1 am? I can't believe. :clap:

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2004, 03:26 AM
39 people at 1 am? I can't believe. :clap:

How about five online at 4:22 am? Myself, firegoat and three guests.

Chess players seem to be night owls, insomniacs or light sleepers. 1 am really is about the peak time for posting on this board many nights.

Alan Shore
05-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Yeah, can't believe you're still up Kev. I'm watching Wimbledon, or at least that's my excuse for being up late.. my sleeping patterns are quite divergent.

arosar
05-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Youse blokes ever wondered what happens when Greek museums are closed? If you want to know, send me your your email addy (the one you use for jokes). This one is absolutely hilarious!!

AR

Kevin Bonham
05-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, can't believe you're still up Kev. I'm watching Wimbledon, or at least that's my excuse for being up late.. my sleeping patterns are quite divergent.

On Saturday night I was out til 3am then came home and went online for a few hours.

skip to my lou
12-10-2004, 02:37 AM
4 members and 7 guests online @ 2:38AM!

Rincewind
02-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Something you might lose sleep over, Kevin. ;)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=2&u=/ap/20041102/ap_on_sc/killer_snails

Kevin Bonham
02-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Something you might lose sleep over, Kevin. ;)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=2&u=/ap/20041102/ap_on_sc/killer_snails

I also have a marine shell collection of sorts and while I'm more interested in cowries, I also have a tray or two of the genus Conus.

Only a very small number of species have recorded fatalities to their credit.

Rincewind
03-11-2004, 03:40 PM
I also have a marine shell collection of sorts and while I'm more interested in cowries, I also have a tray or two of the genus Conus.

Not a complete cone-head, just a recreational interest. ;)

Bereaved
07-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Hello Everyone,

For curiousity I was looking at some of these threads that have no real visibility.

As such it seems to me that I am experiencing a prolonged period of disturbed sleep at the moment in that I am awakeing tired, yet have no reason to be awake at the given moment that I do wake up, which is quite frequently well in advance of whatever time my alarm clock is set to.

My hypothesis for this is the amount of energy that I expend within a given day being insufficient to require much rest, or that the nutrition content of my diet is unbalanced or unsuitable in other ways.

It is not an infrequent thing for me to go through a whole week with only about 4-5 hours a night, even given extreme exhaustion at the end of the day, and the same tired sensation upon awakening.

Does this happen to other people?

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PHAT
07-08-2005, 10:36 AM
As such it seems to me that I am experiencing a prolonged period of disturbed sleep at the moment in that I am awakeing tired, yet have no reason to be awake at the given moment that I do wake up, which is quite frequently well in advance of whatever time my alarm clock is set to.

Extreme sleep apnia (do you snore)
Restless legs syndrom (does your missus complain about kicking the blankets off
Depression
Caffine (remember that chocolate and cola hve it to)
Glutony (so full you creek)
Et cetera - get thee to a GP.

My hypothesis for this is the amount of energy that I expend within a given day being insufficient to require much rest, or that the nutrition content of my diet is unbalanced or unsuitable in other ways.

No. However, running yourself ragged physically should see you sleep like a baby. Poor nutrition will cause more fatigiue, therefore more sleep.

It is not an infrequent thing for me to go through a whole week with only about 4-5 hours a night, even given extreme exhaustion at the end of the day, and the same tired sensation upon awakening.

1. you are probably getting much more than this. Late at night and very tired we can think we have been awake but in fact, you have been noozing off and on.
2. 4-5 hours per week would see you being full psychotic - halucinations paranoa, the works.

Does this happen to other people?

Yes, and they go to the GP.

PS. Are you thirsty and alawys pissing? That cabn keep you awake. It means diabetes. See your GP.

PPS Tried people die in car accidents. Dead people have freinds and relatives. Take care of yourself mate.

EGOR
08-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Listen to Matt!