PDA

View Full Version : Appeals Committee's

Garvinator
05-08-2005, 02:23 AM
What is the purpose of an appeal's committee? What exactly are they meant to rule on?

Kevin Bonham
05-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Basically players or teams in events can appeal against pretty much any decision that is made that affects them, unless it is stated that an appeal is not allowed (eg Article 10.2). Why do you ask?

arosar
05-08-2005, 12:29 PM
What is the purpose of an appeal's committee? What exactly are they meant to rule on?

That's a strange question mate. Don't you have them up there then?

AR

Thunderspirit
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
That's a strange question mate. Don't you have them up there then?

AR

I agree, how can U be an organiser and not know what an appeals comittee is??

Garvinator
08-08-2005, 04:10 PM
I agree, how can U be an organiser and not know what an appeals comittee is??
i didnt say i didnt know, i just chose not to answer at all once amiel got involved in the thread.

Alan Shore
08-08-2005, 04:26 PM
An appeals committee are a group who make a decision on those who yell out 'Howzat!?'

arosar
08-08-2005, 04:34 PM
i didnt say i didnt know . . .

In the wise words of Rincewind, "read the first post".

Else, why pose the question?

AR

jase
08-08-2005, 07:31 PM
i didnt say i didnt know
Yes you did:

What is the purpose of an appeal's committee?

Alan Shore
08-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Yes you did:

Just because someone asks something of someone else, it does not mean they do not know the answer.

Rincewind
08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Since my name has been used in vain in this thread I feel morally obliged to defend Garvin on this point. I believe simply asking people for their opinion on the purpose of an appeals committee does not constitute an admission of absolute ignorance on the matter.

My reading of the first post was more around the matters which might be heard before an appeals committee. Another possible reason was to spark debate based on differences of opinion between other posters which Garvin may have had reason to believe existed.

Rincewind
08-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Just because someone asks something of someone else, it does not mean they do not know the answer.

Oh no! We agree??? aaarrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

:)

arosar
08-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Very well then. So now we must gray for the answer.

AR

eclectic
08-08-2005, 08:13 PM
An appeals committee are a group who make a decision on those who yell out 'Howzat!?'

Belthasar,

were that to be true we'd all be staying up late at night watching "timeless" test matches

but then again there's quite a few of us here who have "missed the boat" already ...

;)

eclectic

Garvinator
08-08-2005, 08:48 PM
My reading of the first post was more around the matters which might be heard before an appeals committee. Another possible reason was to spark debate based on differences of opinion between other posters which Garvin may have had reason to believe existed.
Correct on both points, two point for RW :) . I thought I would ask as almost everything else has been asked in this thread ;) .

Interesting how different ppl have come to different conclusions based on a couple of questions asked by myself to start the thread.

Mischa
08-08-2005, 09:04 PM
or based on whether they have met you or not.

jase
08-08-2005, 11:49 PM
In this context, about the kindest thing I can find to say about gray's post is that it's rhetorical. I might well start a thread like "what is the purpose of the sicilian defence?", which would be an ignorant way to commence a discussion on that opening, though by gray's limited standards as displayed here it might be ok.

Just because someone claims to have a clue, it doesn't mean they do.

Thunderspirit
10-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm still surprised this Garvin started this thread, the purpose of an appeal's committee is not exactly hard to grasp.

An appeal's commitee is a check and balance against the decisions DOP's make at events. While DOP's do strive to do their best they do make mistakes and so a player has the right to appeal a decision they feel is clearly wrong. Once a player has made this concern known in writing, a selection of educated players, organisers and administrators look at the facts of the incident and determine if they DOP/DOP's action where a) legal and b) reasonable under the curcomestance. The decision by the arbiter can obviously be overturned if it deemed incorrect.

I must say I like both as a DOP and as a player. As a DOP I have no problems with an educated group of players, organisers and administrators disagreeing with any decision I have made if they feel that way, and as a player I can defend my own rights by being able to argue a case under the FIDE Laws of Chess.

Hope this helps Garvin... ;)

Mischa
10-08-2005, 08:11 PM
An appeals committee handles appeals

auriga
10-08-2005, 08:30 PM
even qld'ers should be able to understand that!

Garvinator
11-08-2005, 12:56 AM
I will start a thread on almost anything to do with the laws of chess and sometimes some queries or situations that have occurred to me either as a player or arbiter.

Part of the reason is that even though some answers might be obvious, other ppl on here do read these forums and they might learn something new.

That can only be good, surely :eek:

Garvinator
11-08-2005, 12:56 AM
even qld'ers should be able to understand that!
understand what ;) ;) :lol: :owned:

Lucena
11-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I believe simply asking people for their opinion on the purpose of an appeals committee does not constitute an admission of absolute ignorance on the matter.

I concur.

This was the conclusion I came to more or less. Perhaps if you want to initiate similar discussions in the future Garvin you should avoid such possibly ambiguous wording.

My main problem with the post(and thread title) is the punctuation, personally. I guess you could argue that it is a committee that is set up for an appeal, though, so "appeal's" is not completely without logic. "Committee's" however is a totally different kettle of fish.

I don't think the post was terribly silly, there are some interesting issues that could come up. Could you appeal against an appeal? Could you make a second appeal if it was discovered that the first appeal ruling was made without the committee knowing all the facts/taking all facts into account?
(just thinking out loud, the NSWCA/ACF constitution probably deals with this. But still, it's interesting to discuss IMHO)

Thankfully, I have never had to endure the stress of a chess appeals process and hopefully I never will!