20 April Allegro
27 April-29 June FIDE rated event
4 May-29 June Winter SWISS

SUNDAY EVENTS
3rd Sunday of each month > ROOKIES Cup and Allegro
12 June-14 June Victorian OPEN

ursogr8
28-01-2004, 08:01 AM
BOX HILL AUTUMN CUP starts this coming Friday night. Entries close 7.15pm.
Play starts 7.45pm 30/1/2004.

ursogr8
02-02-2004, 08:11 AM
The full Box Hill Calendar is now available on the BH web-site

http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/calendar.htm

ursogr8
24-03-2004, 07:40 AM
At Box Hill Chess Club, Friday 26 March 2004

>> An ALLEGRO
5 rounds
15 minutes/player/game.
Games will be rapid-rated.
Entry $5 >members
Visitors $5 + $5 = $10

Start at 7.45pm, enter before 7.30pm.

Bookstall will be open.
Canteen will be open.
Fluedy will be there. :uhoh:

ursogr8
28-03-2004, 09:42 AM
At Box Hill Chess Club, Friday 26 March 2004

>> An ALLEGRO
5 rounds
15 minutes/player/game.
Entry $5 >members
Visitors $5 + $5 = $10

Bookstall will be open.
Canteen will be open.
Fluedy will be there. :uhoh:

RESULTS
38 entrants
A Division tied for 1st were Milenko Lojanica and Leon Kempen.
B Division tied for first were Devrim van Dijk and Reubban Muthusamy.

starter

ursogr8
31-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Box Hill Chess Club
Results Tuesday New Season SWISS

A Division
Equal 1st > Anthony Miller, and Tom Narenthran

B Division
1st > Rob McCulloch,
2nd >> Sam Dalton

starter

ursogr8
31-03-2004, 09:19 AM
At Box Hill Chess Club, Friday 2 April 2004

>> Lightning Championship
9 rounds
5 minutes/player/game.
Games will be enjoyable.
Entry $5 >members
Visitors $5 + $5 = $10

Attractions >>
Bookstall will be open.
Canteen will be open.
Perpetual trophy on offer. (Read who has won it previously :clap: ).
Fluedy will be there. :uhoh: But he is easy meat at Lightning.

starter

Bill Gletsos
31-03-2004, 10:15 AM

9 rounds
5 minutes/player/game.

Since when.
We dont rate games in the rapid system under 15 minutes.

ursogr8
31-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Since when.
We dont rate games in the rapid system under 15 minutes.

Bill
Have corrected.
Either blame it on cut-and-past AND brain on auto-pilot

or blame it on me.

starter

Davidflude
31-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Shame that Starter cannot spell, Fludy

9 rounds
5 minutes/player/game.
Games will be enjoyable.
Entry $5 >members
Visitors $5 + $5 = $10

Attractions >>
Bookstall will be open.
Canteen will be open.
Perpetual trophy on offer. (Read who has won it previously :clap: ).
Fluedy will be there. :uhoh: But he is easy meat at Lightning.

starter

ursogr8
03-04-2004, 11:20 AM
The Box Hill Lightning championship was held Friday 2 April 2004 over 9 rounds.

The outright winner was the Australian Junior Champion, Denis Bourmistrov on 8/9. Second was Milenko Lojanica.
The rating prize in Group B went to Ruperto Lugo, In Group C to Christopher Wallis, and in Group D to Eugene Schon.

42 players participated including 3 visitors (the annual appearance of Dmitri Partsi was welcomed).

Garvinator
03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
The Box Hill Lightning championship was held Friday 2 April 2004 over 9 rounds.

The outright winner was the Australian Junior Champion, Denis Bourmistrov on 8/9. Second was Milenko Lojanica.
The rating prize in Group B went to Ruperto Lugo, In Group C to Christopher Wallis, and in Group D to Eugene Schon.

42 players participated including 3 visitors (the annual appearance of Dmitri Partsi was welcomed).
was fluedy there? :uhoh:

ursogr8
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
was fluedy there? :uhoh:

gg'
Yes Fluedy was there, and did not win (anything), because we don't have a best seniors prize in Lightning.

I wasn't with him all evening but I did hear the following excuses to add to the scrap-book
> he is to 'old'
>> he has never been able to move the pieces fast enough
>>> he left a piece 'en prise'.

There were probably more but..... :uhoh: ...... he might think I am sledging.
BTW is there a BB code-of-conduct.

starter

Garvinator
03-04-2004, 01:04 PM
BTW is there a BB code-of-conduct.
since when, where is it written? :lol:

Rincewind
03-04-2004, 01:53 PM
since when, where is it written? :lol:

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=2195&postcount=1

I'd say it is as often read as FIDE Article 12. ;)

Garvinator
03-04-2004, 02:06 PM

i have to get my puter looked at, some links dont work for me atm, including ones provided on here :(

ursogr8
03-04-2004, 04:08 PM

Why thanks Baz.
Entirely appropriate to the question I asked.
You remind me of the words written around the edge of a CABOT's paint-tin lid. "When all else fails, read the instructions".

So I have read the code of conduct. And my sledging of Fluedy is in-bounds. :) But will this post (with its TITLE) survive your moderator blue-pencil.

starter

Bill Gletsos
03-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Why thanks Baz.
Entirely appropriate to the question I asked.
You remind me of the words written around the edge of a CABOT's paint-tin lid. "When all else fails, read the instructions".
Of possibly even a case ot RTFM. ;)

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Of possibly even a case ot RTFM. ;)
If I have to read the manual then the software fails my test of 'intuitive navigation'.

Rincewind
05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
But will this post (with its TITLE) survive your moderator blue-pencil.

I can't see a problem. ;)

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 10:22 AM
I can't see a problem. ;)

Barry!
That is once, and you only allowed to use your super moderator over-ride just once. Any more and I will start to post on fg7's new thread where the current company is vin ordinaire.
starter

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 10:31 AM
To get this thread back on track after all the diversions, the next coming attraction at Box Hill Chess Club, on Tuesday the 6th of APRIL, is the Annual General Meeting. If you have missed the passed 25 of these don't despair, we offer a complete replay of all discussion tomorrow night. :rolleyes:
All welcome.

starter

Garvinator
05-04-2004, 11:07 AM
To get this thread back on track after all the diversions, the next coming attraction at Box Hill Chess Club, on Tuesday the 6th of APRIL, is the Annual General Meeting. If you have missed the passed 25 of these don't despair, we offer a complete replay of all discussion tomorrow night. :rolleyes:
All welcome.

starter
sounds great, ill be there :uhoh:

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 11:13 AM
sounds great, ill be there :uhoh:

Thanks for the offer 'raggy', but we have a quorum of your type.

starter

Rincewind
05-04-2004, 11:16 AM
That is once, and you only allowed to use your super moderator over-ride just once. Any more and I will start to post on fg7's new thread where the current company is vin ordinaire.

Like the sting of the bee.

Hey, I've been posting in that thread and I resent being compared to an alcoholic beverage. I think the expression tres ordinaire is less insulting and much closer to the mark. ;)

Garvinator
05-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the offer 'raggy', but we have a quorum of your type.

starter
no you dont, if you had a quorum of 'my type' the club would move forward even further, you would at least have another vote for more modifications to the swiss system ;) .

In your opinion, what is my type :hmm:

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey, I've been posting in that thread and I resent being compared to an alcoholic beverage. I think the expression tres ordinaire is less insulting and much closer to the mark. ;)

The tone of that thread has just gone down another notch.
I don't think even Groucho Marx will post there now. If I was you I would delete all my posts there; it looks like a thread for bored executives (as Gandalf has already noted; although he did mis-spell bored :p ).

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 11:42 AM
no you dont, if you had a quorum of 'my type' the club would move forward even further, you would at least have another vote for more modifications to the swiss system ;) .

In your opinion, what is my type :hmm:

gg'
I don't need another vote at BH for SWISS modifications. But I did need it at the VIC OPEN organising committee.

And your type? The type of person who likes to go the AGMs for the tea and biscuits. Unfortunately the MCC doesn't have any of this type, otherwise they could get a rep. to the CV AGM. Have you thought about being a rep. for them? :p

starter

Rincewind
05-04-2004, 11:55 AM
The tone of that thread has just gone down another notch.
I don't think even Groucho Marx will post there now. If I was you I would delete all my posts there; it looks like a thread for bored executives.

...and the bored ones are the worst type. They start getting all sorts of crazy ideas.

Garvinator
05-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately the MCC doesn't have any of this type, otherwise they could get a rep. to the CV AGM. Have you thought about being a rep. for them? :p

nah ill pass on that, me going as a rep for mcc would not help matters as i might end up going back to mcc saying that the rest of the mcc people have it all wrong in their opinions, or i could go back to mcc saying that mcc is completly right, which again doesnt help anyone :whistle:

As for the tea and biscuits, if you change it to chocolate cake, ill book the flights now :lol: :clap:

ursogr8
05-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Box Hill 2004 Club Championship

Round 1 of this event starts Friday the 16th of April, at 7.45pm.
Time-conrtol is 90 minutes +30spm/player
9 rounds, till the 15th of June.

Entries accepted from members of the Box Hill Chess Club

ursogr8
07-04-2004, 08:22 AM
All welcome.

starter

Box Hill Chess Club AGM was lightly attended when held 6 April 2004. The current committee was returned unopposed and Norm Wilson takes up the job of Secretary after an absence of a few years.

The fee structure recommended by the 'old' Committee was accepted at
$65/year subs ($50 concession)
$20 joining fee.

Geoff Saw raised good points from the floor about transition of juniors to senior ranks. He also floated good ideas about further opportunities for volunteering at BHCC.

Best Club-man award was won by Adrian Turner, who is not enjoying good health at the moment. We wish him the best recovery possible.

starter

ursogr8
07-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Trophy winners at the Box Hill AGM

Autumn Cup for 2004…Geoff Saw
Club Championship for 2003…Sam Chow
Box Hill Open for 2003…Tuan Le
Winter INTERCLUB for 2003 A Grade..Pacmen team.

Most improved trophy…Dusan Stojic
Most improved Whitehorse player…Zhigen Wilson Lin
best Clubman award…Adrian Turner.

starter

ursogr8
12-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Box Hill 2004 Club Championship

Round 1 of this event starts Friday the 16th of April, at 7.45pm.
Time-conrtol is 90 minutes +30spm/player
9 rounds, till the 15th of June.

Entries accepted from members of the Box Hill Chess Club

Box Hill members can enter next Friday's Club Championship via the web at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/index.html

starter

ursogr8
17-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Box Hill members can enter next Friday's Club Championship via the web at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/index.html

starter

Organisers of the Box Hill Championship were extended when 90 entrants registered for the first evening 16 April 2004. The increase was all the more surprising because the first round is in the middle of school holidays, close to Easter and clashing with the junior events in Canberra.

The increase in entries will push the prize money well over $600, with first prize likely to be $200.

Any further late entrants should contact club officials as catch-up is possible this coming Tuesday, or even tomorrow since the Club is open all day for various events and coaching.

starter

ursogr8
18-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Organisers of the Box Hill Championship were extended when 90 entrants registered for the first evening 16 April 2004. The increase was all the more surprising because the first round is in the middle of school holidays, close to Easter and clashing with the junior events in Canberra.

The increase in entries will push the prize money well over $600, with first prize likely to be $200.

Any further late entrants should contact club officials as catch-up is possible this coming Tuesday, or even tomorrow since the Club is open all day for various events and coaching.

starter

The draw for the postponed round one games is as follows:
1*** Bourmistrov D v Fitzpatrick A
2*** Stanning T v Stojic D
3*** Lugo R v Lin Z
4*** Kloprogge I v Stojic Z
5*** Hickman C v Mc Culloch R
6*** Lugo J to be advised
Date Tuesday April 20
Time 7.45

ursogr8
25-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Box Hill 2004 Championship
Round 2 results.

See http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round2.htm
for round 2 results,
and in particular appreciate these upsets
Tom Narenthen v Denis Bourmistrov..a draw
Chris Wallis defeated Zdravko Lojanica
Zhigen Wilson Lin drew with Leon Kempen
Elena Galiabovich drew with Peter Braham.

Another point of notable interest this week was the arrival of WINTER in Melbourne. This season is not known to Northern and Western States, but is very conducive to chess enjoyment. Even the Melbourne folk were not expecting WINTER late in this week given that we had had two days of total fire-ban earlier in the same week.

starter

ursogr8
30-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Round 3 pairings.

See
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round3.htm
for round 3 pairings.

Board 1 is dominated this week by interstaters.
I will give you a clue as a head-start to guessing which State.

starter

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2004, 07:12 PM
And I shall watch the result between the two former Tas champions on board 2 with interest. I don't think those guys ever played each other here.

Thunk
01-05-2004, 02:41 PM
And I shall watch the result between the two former Tas champions on board 2 with interest. I don't think those guys ever played each other here.

it was noticEd that richard voon was attractEd to watch this match that you point out. may havE bEEn askEd to look out on bEhalf of firEgoat as he has a particular intErEst in the strEnghth of tasmanian chEss.

richard was asking odd quEstions about box hill accElErated swissEs. odd that. i don't think box hill has accElErated a swiss in the passEd thrEE yEars. thEy havE gone to divisional splits havE thEy not?

thE HUNK

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
it was noticEd that richard voon was attractEd to watch this match that you point out. may havE bEEn askEd to look out on bEhalf of firEgoat as he has a particular intErEst in the strEnghth of tasmanian chEss.

Do you know the result?

The normal pattern here was that Marcel would get really nice positions against good players with the White pieces then get scared of the clock and concede a draw. I was lucky not to lose my last two games against him ... which is more than can be said for the goat. :whistle:

Bill Gletsos
02-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Hey starter whats the go with the new season swiss.
In the SP files round 3 shows that:
Susan Sheng 0:1 Rob McCulloch
Thomas Poole 1:0 Sharyn Lee
Rye Senjen 0:1 Bryan Lee
Jason Lee 1:0 Matthew Tran

but then also in round 3

Rye Senjen 0.5:0.5 Susan Sheng
Matthew Tran 0:1 Thomas Poole

Now the last two results dont show in the round results on the Box Hill web site.
However as usual the SP cross table is a mess even on your web site.
It shows McCulloch played Shenh but Sheng played Senjen who is shown playing Sheng as well as Bryan Lee. It also shows Tran playing Poole and Poole playing Tran but also that Jason Lee played Tran and that Sharyn Lee played Poole. Lastly although Poole is the only one to score 2 points from his games in the round the cross table effectively robs him of 1 point for all his games played..

What is going on and what are you lunatics up to. :whistle:
If you are going to re-pair certain players(and I cannot see why that happened since all these games were actually played) then surely you should be entering these in an extra 8th round so that all their points are correctly counted.

Can you explain this.

Kevin Bonham
02-05-2004, 01:14 AM

It sounds like they're trying to rate some new kind of transfer variant.

ursogr8
02-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Hey starter whats the go with the new season swiss.
In the SP files round 3 shows that:
Susan Sheng 0:1 Rob McCulloch
Thomas Poole 1:0 Sharyn Lee
Rye Senjen 0:1 Bryan Lee
Jason Lee 1:0 Matthew Tran

but then also in round 3

Rye Senjen 0.5:0.5 Susan Sheng
Matthew Tran 0:1 Thomas Poole

Now the last two results dont show in the round results on the Box Hill web site.
However as usual the SP cross table is a mess even on your web site.
It shows McCulloch played Shenh but Sheng played Senjen who is shown playing Sheng as well as Bryan Lee. It also shows Tran playing Poole and Poole playing Tran but also that Jason Lee played Tran and that Sharyn Lee played Poole. Lastly although Poole is the only one to score 2 points from his games in the round the cross table effectively robs him of 1 point for all his games played..

If you are going to re-pair certain players(and I cannot see why that happened since all these games were actually played) then surely you should be entering these in an extra 8th round so that all their points are correctly counted.

Can you explain this.

Now listen here Bill.
I told you WINTER had come to Melbourne and as you know from evidence in Iceland that insufficient sun affects the pineal gland and sends you temp. mental. So, just bear with us until the sap rises in the Spring and we will resume normal transmission.
In the mean-time I will get the organisers to stop fiddling with the DGT boards and pay attention to getting some records straight.

starter

ursogr8
02-05-2004, 09:25 AM
it was noticEd that richard voon was attractEd to watch this match that you point out. may havE bEEn askEd to look out on bEhalf of firEgoat as he has a particular intErEst in the strEngth of tasmanian chEss.

richard was asking odd quEstions about box hill accElErated swissEs. odd that. i don't think box hill has accElErated a swiss in the passEd thrEE yEars. thEy havE gone to divisional splits havE thEy not?

thE HUNK

It is hard to work out what Richard Voon would have been concerned about as Box Hill has not accelerated a SWISS for quite a few years.

What we do allow is inter-pairing of the top (performed) players in B Division into the bottom (performing) players in A Division. To be honest this should not worry Richard as he is such a good player that he is never paired against these C quartile players in this way.

It is more likely that Richard is more interested in Box Hill increasing entry fees so that prize money is increased. Only then could he be tempted to trade-off the risk to his rating points from improving juniors.

starter

ursogr8
07-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Do you know the result?

The normal pattern here was that Marcel would get really nice positions against good players with the White pieces then get scared of the clock and concede a draw. I was lucky not to lose my last two games against him ... which is more than can be said for the goat. :whistle:

Tim Anderson beat Marcel Rothlisberger.
Full results for round 3 at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round3.htm

starter

ursogr8
07-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Round 4 pairings.

See
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round4.htm
for round 4 pairings.

Game of the week for me to watch this week is Andrew Fitzpatrick v David Flude.

Also interested in board 28 where the combined ages are close to 170. :clap: :clap:

starter

ursogr8
09-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Round 3 results.

See http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round3.htm
for round 3 results,

Round 3
This was an amazing round for results. Usually by round 3 the SWISS pairings have settled down to very competitive games for the whole field. And this was the case for round 3. In fact, the mean absolute deviation of pairing differences was 230; a rather low figure compared with round 1. Competitive pairings usually produce upsets by the upstarts. But, what was amazing is that there were so few upsets.
I could only find Artem Nikolayevsky’s draw against Andrew Fitzpatrick, Vladimir Zacharczenko’s draw against David Creedon, Vanja Rozenblat’s draw against Casey Hickman, Eugene Schon’s draw against Udit Thakur. And then finally, one upset of note,right down the end of the room on board 40, Farn-Ling Khung defeated Fred Tischman.

starter

eclectic
09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Also interested in board 28 where the combined ages are close to 190. :clap: :clap:

starter
dear starter,

i would not jest :)

they might reward you with a 190+ move game!!

with the 30 sec increment per move just work out how long it would be before the venue could be locked up !!

;)

regards,

eclectic

ursogr8
09-05-2004, 08:10 PM
dear starter,

i would not jest :)

they might reward you with a 190+ move game!!

with the 30 sec increment per move just work out how long it would be before the venue could be locked up !!

;)

regards,

eclectic
hi eclectic
You back from whence from?

You jest about the late finish possibility. But regulary in the old tennis pavilion at Irving Rd we finished at 1.30 or 2am; and even then it was often an adjournment. See me next Friday and I will show you some of the old artefact envelopes we used for these cases.

starter

eclectic
09-05-2004, 08:30 PM
See me next Friday and I will show you some of the old artefact envelopes we used for these cases.

starter,

no can do

unless i use a proxy

delivered via an envelope

;)

eclectic

ursogr8
14-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Round 5 pairings.

See
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round5.htm
for round 5 pairings.

Game of the week for me to watch this week is board 8 M Rothlisberger v L Kempen for similar styles of opening.
Also interested in board 32 where BroadZ takes on just about the smallest junior in the Championship. Wonder which one will be down to size by the end of the evening? :hmm: :hmm:
Last week BroadZ played the second smallest junior in the Club and came off second best. I would like to print his after-game comments but the moderators would probably intervene after 'pesky little...'. :uhoh:

Finally, the result of last week's game between two players whose total age was 170...the winner was John Butler.

starter

Alan Shore
14-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Finally, the result of last week's game between two players whose total age was 170...the winner was John Butler.

Wow, John Butler of the John Butler Trio!! :p

Rincewind
14-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Wow, John Butler of the John Butler Trio!! :p

That's nothing, his opponent must have been over 140!!! I think that is more noteworthy.

Tell us starter, who is this Methuselah? ;)

ursogr8
14-05-2004, 04:19 PM
That's nothing, his opponent must have been over 140!!! I think that is more noteworthy.

Tell us starter, who is this leviathan? ;)

Baz
It is like this > :oops:

I was never strong at add-ups, unless it was in symbols.
See now post #47.
And both are smallish blokes, so I don't know where your leviathan came from? Don't answer unless it is clear of flocking sheep. ;)

starter

Rincewind
14-05-2004, 04:36 PM
I was never strong at add-ups, unless it was in symbols.
See now post #47.
And both are smallish blokes, so I don't know where your leviathan came from? Don't answer unless it is clear of flocking sheep. ;)

I thought "leviathan" could be used figuratively for long-lived (and not necessarily large) entities. However, I concede I might be wrong (or rather that my usage might be unusual ;) ). I certainly didn't intend to infer anything w.r.t the corpulencence of JB or the other gentleman involved.

(I had to make up another word, but I think I got out of that one). :angel:

Alan Shore
14-05-2004, 05:43 PM
I thought "leviathan" could be used figuratively for long-lived (and not necessarily large) entities. However, I concede I might be wrong (or rather that my usage might be unusual ;) ). I certainly didn't intend to infer anything w.r.t the corpulencence of JB or the other gentleman involved.

Leviathan may or not be better than using Behemoth or Chimera.. I may have suggested Methuselah or if you want to keep with the same theme, perhaps Ramuh :)

Rincewind
14-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Leviathan may or not be better than using Behemoth or Chimera.. I may have suggested Methuselah or if you want to keep with the same theme, perhaps Ramuh :)

Good advice. ;)

ursogr8
16-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Round 4 bulletin.

See
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round4.htm
for round 4 results,

Round 4
Some of the notable results against higher-rated opponents included Peter Frost’s good win against Leon Kempen, Chris Wallis draw against Marcel Rothlisberger, Artem Nikolayevsky draw against Ruperto Lugo, Trevor Chong’s draw against Rolf Exner.
In the bottom half of the pairings there were good results too. Shaun Fielder took a full point from Ion Klprogge, Udit Thakur took the point against David Creedon, and Michael Collins upstaged Richard Martin.
Our two oldest members were paired and John Butler won over Robert Chan. And on board 43 Alan Gray won a long hard fought game against Marieke van Dijk.

ursogr8
16-05-2004, 08:56 AM
I thought "leviathan" could be used figuratively for long-lived (and not necessarily large) entities.

Baz

These two players have passed the 'old and bold' stage and should now be referred to as 'venerable'. I think this is the word you should be using. :cool:

starter

Rincewind
16-05-2004, 11:24 AM
These two players have passed the 'old and bold' stage and should now be referred to as 'venerable'. I think this is the word you should be using. :cool:

If they are both in the 70-90 bracket then that is venerable. However if one of them was John Butler of the JBT (who I know is around 30) then the other must have been ~140 which deserves a word stronger than venerable, don't you think?

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2004, 06:09 PM
These two players have passed the 'old and bold' stage and should now be referred to as 'venerable'.

We have an 87yo who is both venerable and "old and bold". A few weeks back he lost on time while overpressing for a win against a player who outrated him by about 450 points, having spurned a forced draw with about five mins left on his clock.

Alan Shore
16-05-2004, 09:07 PM
We have an 87yo who is both venerable and "old and bold". A few weeks back he lost on time while overpressing for a win against a player who outrated him by about 450 points, having spurned a forced draw with about five mins left on his clock.

Good on him too, the goal in chess is to win, not draw. Even GM's forget that sometimes...

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 08:15 AM
If they are both in the 70-90 bracket then that is venerable. However if one of them was John Butler of the JBT (who I know is around 30) then the other must have been ~140 which deserves a word stronger than venerable, don't you think?

The question is lost on me Baz. I have absolutely no idea on who JBT is. The reference on this thread is the first I have have heard of it/them/those. :hand:

starter

Rincewind
17-05-2004, 10:43 AM
The question is lost on me Baz. I have absolutely no idea on who JBT is. The reference on this thread is the first I have have heard of it/them/those. :hand:

Please refer to Bruce Dickinson's post #53 which tells all...

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=16638&postcount=53

The following link might also help fill in your cultural gap wrt JBT...

http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Please refer to Bruce Dickinson's post #53 which tells all...

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=16638&postcount=53

The following link might also help fill in your cultural gap wrt JBT...

http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/

tks Baz

But my cultural side is tied up debating with Chesslover re the AFL future. :hand:

starter

ursogr8
17-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Money winners in the May Rookies cup
Adults Leon Kempen 1st
Nur Yachou 2nd
U1200 Chris Potter

Master CLASS James Morris 1st
Jason Tang =2nd
Matthew Potter = 2nd
Queens Cup Shiyu Wang 1st

ursogr8
18-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Round 5 bulletin.

See
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round5.htm
for round 5 results,

Round 5

What a great round of competitive chess we saw last Friday night. Board 2 was an exception where a short draw was agreed early. But on the 3rd board Svetozar Stojic had a good draw against Denis Bourmistrov.
Good wins to Peter Frost over Scot Sharman, and Marcel Rothlisberger over Leon Kempen. Before the round started our President quizzed me on how to beat Christopher Wallis; I didn’t know and apparently neither did the President; result 0-1.
A great win by Jusef Omeragic over junior-member Andrew Fitzpatrick, and similarly Rolf Exner over Michelle Lee. Trevor Chong accounted for Garry Lycett, whereas Peter Schultzer struggled for half a point against Zhigen Wilson Lin.
Rob McCulloch ended John Butler’s Trio of wins abruptly.
Finally, on board 31, we saw perhaps the contestants in the 2024 Victorian final; Chloe Lauder v Jerome Lugo, and a shared point the result.

Entries are rolling in for our hosting of the VICTORIAN OPEN. We have confirmed entries from Grandmaster Darryl Johansen, IMs Stephen Solomon, and Peter Froehlich, and many others you can see on the web-site. Enter early and receive the large early-bird discount.

starter

ursogr8
28-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Round 7 pairings.

See

[http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round7.htm
for round 7 pairings

starter

Lucena
28-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Rob McCulloch ended John Butlerís Trio of wins abruptly.
starter
:)

ursogr8
04-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Round 8 pairings.

With 2 rounds to go of the 9 round tournament we have a leader by 1.5 points. Is it all over bar the shouting.
BTW, he is not the first, second, nor the third seed; so that makes the performance to date even more startling. And he is not an under-rated junior!

See pairing and coss-table details at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round8.htm

The closest matched game tonight is
on board 3 > P Frost 1833 v M Campara 1838.

Perhaps the most interesting pairing is
on board 2 > Chris Wallis 1549 v Marcus Raine 1947. A battle of preparations.

starter

ursogr8
06-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Round 8 pairings.

With 2 rounds to go of the 9 round tournament we have a leader by 1.5 points. Is it all over bar the shouting.
BTW, he is not the first, second, nor the third seed; so that makes the performance to date even more startling. And he is not an under-rated junior!

See pairing and coss-table details at

The closest matched game tonight is
on board 3 > P Frost 1833 v M Campara 1838.

Perhaps the most interesting pairing is
on board 2 > Chris Wallis 1549 v Marcus Raine 1947. A battle of preparations.

starter

Tim Anderson is the new Box Hill Chess Club CHAMPION.

Even with one round to go he cannot be caught or beaten. Well done Tim.

Five draws on the top 7 boards shows how competitive the chess is at Box Hill.

Board 22 saw the first upset as Rob McCulloch took points from Gary Lycett.

But the big result of the night for me was Laurie Dalton's win on board 32. And the best draw was right next door. Go jerome.

Full results and some round 9 pairings via

Next Friday is a scale-down to catch-up games to give the organisers time to get ready for the VIC OPEN week-ender which starts the next day.

starter

ursogr8
06-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Box Hill Chess Club
Events for the first half of 2004-01-17

Bill

Can you leave off reading this thread and have a look at your PMs.

tks
starter

ursogr8
18-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Final round of the Box Hill Championship tonight.

Pairings can be seen at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0404fcc/round9.htm

The tournament has already been won by Tim Anderson, and daylight is a clear second.

There are six players vying for bragging rights of second. Two of them are juniors; surprisingly they are not Denis Bourmistrov and John Nemeth as these are right down on board 7.

Game of the night for me is on board 25 where John Butler is white against Shaun Fielder. One for the eclectic collection I guess.

I also like the look of board 40 where Nathan Fell will tower over Shuyu Wang. Initially.

starter

ursogr8
24-06-2004, 08:39 AM
The next tournament to start at Box Hill, on Fridays, is the KNOCKOUT Rapid Play over four weeks.

Fresh from the success, in the well run BH Championship and the highly visible VIC OPEN, the club organisers now run a knock-out competition with two rounds per night and the losers cascade into a parallel running SWISS competition. I still have fond memory of Amiel standing with the flyer in his hand, looking at the attempted explanatory diagram on the back page. He was muttering "We have nothing like this in NSW".

Come along to the Club and play in this Rapid Play and watch the organisers melt-down as they attempt to keep track of proceedings.
Although the event is a knockout competition, you are assured of 2 games per night for four weeks.

starter

Alan Shore
24-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm familiar with this system, it's called a 'Reparcharge' or something right? We once used it here for the QLD Championships, seemed pretty good.

ursogr8
24-06-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm familiar with this system, it's called a 'Reparcharge' or something right? We once used it here for the QLD Championships, seemed pretty good.

hi BD
I think the word is repecharge (but not in my Dic.'y).
And I had the same thought when the system was described to me by an (ex-Poland) Club member at Box Hill.

The term is used in bike-racing quite a bit, and seems to be a route by which the best loser can get back into the main game.

However, our Box Hill Clayton's KNOCKOUT is a little different in that a losing player gets cascaded down to a parallel running SWISS rather than repecharged back into the KNOCKOUT. (Now don't ask me how many points the loser is given if he enters the SWISS on evening #2 into round 3........I have only got 45 minutes for lunch... :rolleyes: )

Some people can understand it from the diagram ;) .

starter

Alan Shore
24-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Yes, we employed the same system with the transference of losers to a swiss and someone able to win that swiss as a separate event ot the championships.

Garvinator
24-06-2004, 01:53 PM
The term is used in bike-racing quite a bit, and seems to be a route by which the best loser can get back into the main game. without looking at the diagram, sounds like double elimination from this description.

arosar
24-06-2004, 02:17 PM
It's not a double elim...Look, I'll post the friggin diagram OK - tomorrow. Too busy ATM.

AR

eclectic
24-06-2004, 02:50 PM
without looking at the diagram, sounds like double elimination from this description.
those in the present KO comp in libya would really love that idea

spending excessive nervous energy in tiebreakers etc only to have one or more of the vanquished rise from the dead

eclectic

arosar
25-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Here you go . . .

AR

ursogr8
07-07-2004, 08:32 AM
The results of the 2004 Box Hill Tuesday WINTER SWISS now available at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/

The winner was Derek Parker on 5 points.
Field size was 28.

starter

ursogr8
07-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Here you go . . .

AR

Amiel

You post #82 had an attached file... a spreadsheet no less. How did you do that mate? Need to know...please, please. (Late edit.......JEO has shown me how to do it....tks)

And the spreadsheet.......it is a work of art that comes up a treat on the BB.

BTW, how did you get a soft copy?

starter

skip to my lou
07-07-2004, 08:50 AM
You need to go into full reply mode or full thread mode, you cannot use quick reply or quick thread. In "Additional Options" under "Attach Files" click "Manage Attachments".

ursogr8
07-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks JEO.........your instructions worked a treat.

starter

ursogr8
17-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Here you go . . .

AR

Results of the Repecharge knockout ...see below

A Division Knockout
1st John Nemeth
2nd Nur Yachou
3rd Mehmed Dizdarevic

B Division Knockout
1st Reubban Muthusamy