PDA

View Full Version : Has Power gone to the Grand Poobah's head?

chesslover
13-01-2004, 07:39 PM
In the old ACF BB, the Grand Poobah was a secret administrator, and was never noticed by us posters. There was a lot of tolerence shown by him towards posts, and the Grand Poobah (and Paul B) ensured that the old BBB was one of the most liberal (sometimes too liberal) BBs in the land.

However in this new BB there seems to have been a lot of deletion, censoring, and even a couple of cases where threads have been locked. I believe that in all of these cases, the Grand Poobah acted correctly, approriately and with due regard to fairness and integrity.

But the fact is acknowleged, that in the last couple of weeks there seems to be more deletions, censorships and thread locking than during the entire time of the old ACF BB.

This begs the question - now that the Grand Poobah has come out of teh closet, and has outed himself as a not so secret administrator, has Power gone to his head? Or is he still the same simple snail loving tasmanian he always was ( :) ) who exercises his admin power prudently and justly?

I think the latter

arosar
13-01-2004, 07:48 PM
This looks like a push poll to me.

Neither yes nor no. The admins just seem to be more mindful of our hosts. It's the hosts who seem be suffering from power-mania.

AR

chesslover
13-01-2004, 07:59 PM
This looks like a push poll to me.

Neither yes nor no. The admins just seem to be more mindful of our hosts. It's the hosts who seem be suffering from power-mania.

AR

good point arosar

Yes, i think you are right in that the Grand Poobah and Paul are being more mindful of the hosts and teh juniors that use this BB, and hence are not letting things go that used to be fine in the old ACF BB. I think that is fine and have no problems with this

And yes, I think that what you state about the hosts does have some merit. Even without the admin and moderator powers, some of their responses and posts in threads were very bad manners and disgraceful

Bill Gletsos
13-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Even without the admin and moderator powers, some of their responses and posts in threads were very bad manners and disgraceful
This is an interesting point.

If you or I post a message and then change our posts via edit then the edited post notes that it has been edited.

However I am virtually certain I have seen a post by our host that was changed after being replied to and there was no note to signify that it had been edited.

Makes you wonder.

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2004, 08:29 PM
If I edit someone's post, including my own, it won't show as edited. Although Jeo isn't moderating the forum he still shows with admin status in the online status bar on some parts of it - really no big deal so long as he isn't using it.

I agree that this is an evil push-poll and strongly encourage a "yes" vote (indeed I just voted "yes" myself) - although much as I would love to be dictator of Tasmania just to hear our awful politicians of all parties crying for mercy, I don't think that's likely to happen. :D :D

chesslover
13-01-2004, 08:59 PM
although much as I would love to be dictator of Tasmania just to hear our awful politicians of all parties crying for mercy, I don't think that's likely to happen. :D :D

you are showing potential to be a power crazed mad dictator. Whilst having others crying for mercy is a good sign of a dictator, believing that it cannot happen just is not.

You have to have self confidence and belief in yourself if you are ever going to be a dictator, Dr Grand Poobah :P

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Its to do with PHPBB software. I've noticed, If you edit a post AFTER someone has replied, then it will note the edit, otherwise it will not.

I have to maintain the databases, which requires super admin status.

chesslover
13-01-2004, 09:55 PM
I have to maintain the databases, which requires super admin status.

Is that how you were able to unlock a locked thread in the tournaments section, post your apologies to george and paul, and then lock the thread again?

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Um no, Admins can post in locked threads. I didn't even realise it was locked. Oh well.

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 10:25 PM
FYI: I have not enforced any single rule with the current admins.

chesslover
13-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Jeo, what is the diff between super admin, admin and moderator in this BB? :?

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 10:31 PM
A Super Admin has access to board settings, an admin can moderate all forums and all posts, whereas a moderator can only moderate those forums that they have been set as moderator.

Bill Gletsos
13-01-2004, 10:35 PM
So does that mean the removal of custom rank and the change to the ranks was your doing?

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, I have changed the ranks.

Bill Gletsos
13-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Any particular reason you decided to change them or did you just do it on a whim.

So how many posts does CL need to get his GM and where do the respective numbers cut in now.

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Yes, it was only a few days, and already alot of people were on almost max, because you requested that many peoples post count be transferred.

CL will find out when he gets there.

Bill Gletsos
13-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Yes, it was only a few days, and already alot of people were on almost max, because you requested that many peoples post count be transferred.
True, but you modified the ranks after this was done to take this into account or so it appeared and then after the argument with gandalf you seemed to change them again without any discussion.

I guess he will.

So what are the available ranks now.

skip to my lou
13-01-2004, 11:26 PM
I only changed the number of posts that the titles change at, not the titles themselves.

ToRnaDo
14-01-2004, 03:14 PM
As i guess there is also super moderator status available:-)

chesslover
14-01-2004, 05:59 PM
True, but you modified the ranks after this was done to take this into account or so it appeared and then after the argument with gandalf you seemed to change them again without any discussion.

I guess he will.

So what are the available ranks now.

Bill has raised very valid points. Maybe if Jeo will not be able to answer, the all powerful Grand Poobah may know the answer

What are the BB titles, and what are the cut off posts for them

Bill Gletsos
14-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Its to that Jeo is unable to answer, its just he chooses not to.

Remember on the old BB you didnt know when a new tilte was available until someone reached the require post count.

chesslover
14-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Its to that Jeo is unable to answer, its just he chooses not to.

Remember on the old BB you didnt know when a new tilte was available until someone reached the require post count.

yes but under the old BB. it was nice and simple the way the BB titles were worked out - and were very intuitive as well

1, 50, 100, 250, 500 were easier benchmarks than the current one where a title I think kicks in at 800, 1400 etc.

skip to my lou
14-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Only the ammount of posts has changed. The titles remain same.

0, 100, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, Custom Title

Gandalf
27-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Only the ammount of posts has changed. The titles remain same.

0, 100, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, Custom Title
Now why did you go and do that? Should have let it be a surprise. Then again, I suppose some may have been disappointed to find that there indeed is no surprise.