PDA

View Full Version : The Star Wars thread

Alan Shore
07-06-2005, 03:15 AM
My reviews of the three Star Wars prequels:

Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace

Everyone had high expectations going in, since Georgey Boy made those trailers so magnificent. Instead we were greeted with:

http://www.thestarwarsgalaxy.com/jar-jar2.gif

Exqueeze me!?

The pod racing scenes were great though and the lightsabre fights..

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/products/sensing/images/lightsabers.jpg

saved the film from being a total miss.

6.5/10.

Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Mostly, a good story, dazzling special effects, a nice twist involving Count Dooku.

However scenes like this:

http://img124.echo.cx/img124/226/ep29jd.jpg

.. made me want to use force lightning on whoever wrote those love scenes.

It was.. different.. to see Yoda using the lightsabre but not bad.

8/10

Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

http://img296.echo.cx/img296/7566/ep3poster107kc.jpg

Right from the opening scene, until the film's end, I was on the edge of my seat, wow! The great effects were still there, yet this time there was no time wasted on pointless filler scenes, everything was either great action, interesting plot development or great character interaction. I loved how Palpatine was depicted in this film too, makes me even more curious about his past!

Brilliant stuff, on par with the original trilogy.

10/10

arosar
07-06-2005, 07:30 AM
http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/sith.htm

AR

pax
07-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I haven't seen III, but you are waay too generous with both I and II. The scripts were utterly abysmal, the direction terrible.

Perhaps the worst thing though was the special effects. They were supposed to be the most awesome up to date effects, but the "blue screen" background substitution (especially in menace) was the most obvious I've seen anywhere. The foreground lighting was often totally different to the background. The animated characters were not integrated at all well - whenever a human was talking to CG the dialogue was stilted and poorly delivered - because there is this disjointedness that comes from delivering your lines to something that bears no resemblance to what's actually in the film.

As for the casting of Hayden Christensen - the less said the better.

Ok, all the reviews say III is better than the previous two. But that to me is a bit like to saying "well, it's much better than poking your own eye out with a blunt stick".

arosar
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Right on about the dialogue, especially in II. Some scenes with the teenage Skywalker and the Princess were like, "Eeewwww...."

AR

bergil
07-06-2005, 01:20 PM
I tend to agree with Belthasar and his ratings of the films, but the only thing Hayden Christensen got right as Skywalker was the height.

They should make the Timothy Zahn Trilogy into the movies 7, 8, 9 and end the saga.

Alan Shore
07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I tend to agree with Belthasar and his ratings of the films, but the only thing Hayden Christensen got right as Skywalker was the height.

They should make the Timothy Zahn Trilogy into the movies 7, 8, 9 and end the saga.

Yeah, that Heir to the Empire trilogy by Tim Zahn was awesome.. unfortunately Lucas said he won't be making any more.. (but perhaps after he's gone the way of Darth Maul, someone may step up and make them!)

Alan Shore
09-06-2005, 01:49 AM
One observation.. although the first two prequels had some less than brilliant scenes, the music was just magnificent.

Sit back for a sec and imagine Star Wars without music... it'd be like Super Mario Brothers.. save the Princess, save the Galaxy, yay!

So yes, although the love scenes in Ep 2 were unbearable, Anakin and Padme's theme is still beautiful - not to mention Duel of the Fates (the battle with Darth Maul) and the Droid Invasion theme.

Ep III music funnily enough didn't have anything that new to it but it was still excellently done, nice re-use of old themes, the final scene of the film was great.

jenni
09-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Yes the acting was wooden, the dialogue bad and Tony was hyper-critical of the special effects. It didn't help that you already knew the ending. However our family are star wars afficianados so all in all we really enjoyed episode 3! (The female members of the family also enjoyed the love story.....)

PS Any Firefly fans here?

Aaron Bellette
09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
BTW, the Episode III soundtrack CD is excellent. It comes with a bonus DVD, "SW: A Musical Journey", hosted by Ian McDiarmid (aka Sith Supremo) and featuring all the best musical pieces from the six films. Very well done and good value for money! :D

AB

arosar
09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Is that you tal-max???

AR

Aaron Bellette
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Is that you tal-max???

Hehe, it is - good to see you amigo :)

Aaron.

Libby
11-06-2005, 04:57 PM
(The female members of the family also enjoyed the love story.....)

I didn't see I or II as I'm not a mega-fan (and read too many reviews).

I did trot off to see Episode III and I still didn't get the love story. He just didn't seem all that lovable - not even in some kind of dark, dangerous, passionate sense.

I'm pretty happy with any half-decent chick flick if I can at least imagine the leads have some credible kind of connection but they still failed in this one for me. And her character was just a fainting female.

These doomed love affairs should have a real, aching intensity because you know they're going to fail but you're still on the edge of your seat hoping to see the impossible happy ending. Just didn't happen for me. With all the money available couldn't someone have made the characters have a bit more flesh on the bones?

If I had this vision (ie George's) I think i would have hoped to see more for it.

Libby
11-06-2005, 05:01 PM
http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/sith.htm

AR

The best bit was the Darth Tater

http://howstuffworks.shopping.com/xFS?KW=darth+tater&FN=Toys&FD=96425&linkin_id=3067740

(that's the Sith Lord, Mr Potato Head, for those not in the know)

jenni
14-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I didn't see I or II as I'm not a mega-fan (and read too many reviews).

I did trot off to see Episode III and I still didn't get the love story. He just didn't seem all that lovable - not even in some kind of dark, dangerous, passionate sense.

I'm pretty happy with any half-decent chick flick if I can at least imagine the leads have some credible kind of connection but they still failed in this one for me. And her character was just a fainting female.

These doomed love affairs should have a real, aching intensity because you know they're going to fail but you're still on the edge of your seat hoping to see the impossible happy ending. Just didn't happen for me. With all the money available couldn't someone have made the characters have a bit more flesh on the bones?

If I had this vision (ie George's) I think i would have hoped to see more for it.

Well I did say the acting was bad...... I feel seeing 1 and 2, might have led to a little more understanding of the love story. However from my many discussions with you of movies, I know you are far too intellectual in your demands and not a true chick flick person.

BFG
20-06-2005, 01:47 PM
The best bit was the Darth Tater

http://howstuffworks.shopping.com/xFS?KW=darth+tater&FN=Toys&FD=96425&linkin_id=3067740

(that's the Sith Lord, Mr Potato Head, for those not in the know)Darth Tater makes another appearance in this modern day classic.

http://ia108032.us.archive.org/1/items/StoreWars/sw_8M.wmv

May the farm be with you!

PS I think George Lucas may have cast Hayden Christensen from this production.

Libby
20-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Well I did say the acting was bad...... I feel seeing 1 and 2, might have led to a little more understanding of the love story. However from my many discussions with you of movies, I know you are far too intellectual in your demands and not a true chick flick person.

Have to say, I just saw Batman Begins and he was very fanciable :lol:

jenni
20-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Have to say, I just say Batman Begins and he was very fanciable :lol:

Perving over a male body does NOT make you a true chick flic person. :hand:

Rincewind
20-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Perving over a male body does NOT make you a true chick flic person. :hand:

Well I was going to say something about Johnny Depp but I guess I won't bother now.

Libby
20-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Well I was going to say something about Johnny Depp but I guess I won't bother now.

In the fancying sense? :hmm:

He does look interesting as Willy Wonka but I'm not convinced the new version looks all that far removed from the previous one - which I rather liked too.

Alan Shore
02-07-2005, 11:18 AM
This is awesome! 'Darth Vader made me cry'.

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/stories/darth_vader_made_me_cry.php

arosar
02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
You are a kid at heart mate. Never change.

AR

Alan Shore
23-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Aww yeah, I just won a Star Wars trivia comp. Got Star Wars illustrated guide, all the Star Wars DVD's and some food and drink..

<-- Jedi Master.

bergil
23-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know what the last couple of books released in the Star Wars universe are? I haven't read any since the Vong saga.

Alan Shore
23-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know what the last couple of books released in the Star Wars universe are? I haven't read any since the Vong saga.

Hmm, probably Ep. 3 novel, heh.

Of the SW universe I only read the Timothy Zahn 'Heir to the Empire' saga... I can highly recommend that.

bergil
23-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Hmm, probably Ep. 3 novel, heh.

Of the SW universe I only read the Timothy Zahn 'Heir to the Empire' saga... I can highly recommend that.
Read that and the two part follow up that introduced the Chiss and saw Luke marry

Alan Shore
24-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Read that and the two part follow up that introduced the Chiss and saw Luke marry

Actually I remember reading some of those Tales from Jabba's palace, Tales from Mos Eisley too that were pretty good.

Got any recommendations?

four four two
26-09-2005, 02:32 PM
All I know is that Jar Jar Binks MUST DIE! :hand:

Watto
26-09-2005, 02:49 PM
All I know is that Jar Jar Binks MUST DIE! :hand:

saw an interview with the Jar Jar Binks actor before the film came out ... poor guy was very excited about having landed such a big role… the reception he got must have been a bit of a disappointment!

four four two
26-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I will bet he has quite a few stalkers by now, "How Rude" as Jar Jar would say! :D :D :clap: :clap:

bergil
26-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I will bet he has quite a few stalkers by now, "How Rude" as Jar Jar would say! :D :D :clap: :clap:
More like "Messa sorry" :doh:

bergil
26-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Actually I remember reading some of those Tales from Jabba's palace, Tales from Mos Eisley too that were pretty good.

Got any recommendations?
All the x-wing series

bunta
27-09-2005, 01:27 PM
the scene where the sith lord deals with master windu and his other jedi's was a bit rushed, the jedi's were chopped in a matter of seconds and they are supposedly the best among the jedi. They could've made the fighting scene last a little longer, IF ONLY MASTER WINDU POKED THE LIGHT SABER THROUGH THE SITH LORD's HEAD (when the sith lord was playing dead and scared to try and convince anakin to help him, windu had the saber right on his head). it could've been all over, but then again there wouldn't be the future episodes :D

four four two
27-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I laughed at how most of those Jedi Knights were killed by stormtroopers,guess they just didnt have enough of THE FORCE. :lol: