PDA

View Full Version : One impressive game!

BrainsUK
11-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Managed to make the opponent resign in 12 moves!
Have a look:

[Event "ICS rated standard match"]
[Site "freechess.org"]
[Date "2004.01.11"]
[Round "-"]
[White "SamGB"]
[Black "crazymaniac"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "1677"]
[BlackElo "1456"]
[TimeControl "900"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4 Nd7 4. d4 c6 5. dxe5 dxe5 6. Ng5 Nh6 7. Qf3 f6 8.Ne6 Qe7 9. Bxh6 gxh6 10. Nc7+ Kd8 11. Ne6+ Ke8 12. Qh5+
{crazymaniac resigns} 1-0

Rincewind
11-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Your opponent fell apart very quickly after making 3 bad moves in a row.

7...f6 is very bad. With your queen, bishop and knight zeroing in on the whte squares, this pawn moves is the first shocker. If instead 7...Qf6 everything is OK. Not great, but then again I wouldn't recommend playing the Philidor.

8...Qe7 is not best because of the threat of Nc7 which needs to be watched. Perhaps slightly better is 8...Qa5+ 9.Bd2 Qb6. Still Black is clearly worse.

9...gxh6 this move loses on the spot to 10.Qh5+. Black had to try something else like 9...Nb6.

Still a nice minature though. Normally in this line I think White would castle around move 7-9 and still have a comfortable advantage but things certainly worked out well for you in this game.

BrainsUK
18-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Cheers for the quick analysis

ToeAndno
17-04-2004, 01:21 AM
Despite winning quickly and not taking anything away from that, it was more a case of poor play by your opponent. But, you seized the opportunity when you had the lead and the initiative so much kudos is due. A win is still a win :clap:

Alan Shore
17-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Not great, but then again I wouldn't recommend playing the Philidor.

Nothing wrong with philidors, I get nice positions with it, you just have to play it correctly.

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2004, 04:39 AM
Nothing wrong with philidors, I get nice positions with it, you just have to play it correctly.

Actually despite my 90+% score against this opening and frequent crusades on the subject I agree with this statement. There is no problem with the opening itself, but the opening happens to be particularly attractive to players who are shocking at openings in general and not interested in theory or in learning from their games. Hence the high number of easy crushes White can expect to score against this opening at, say, sub-1900 level. Below that level you may still run across someone who knows what they're doing with it, but those instances are outnumbered by people playing crush-me variations.

Alan Shore
17-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Actually despite my 90+% score against this opening and frequent crusades on the subject I agree with this statement. There is no problem with the opening itself, but the opening happens to be particularly attractive to players who are shocking at openings in general and not interested in theory or in learning from their games. Hence the high number of easy crushes White can expect to score against this opening at, say, sub-1900 level. Below that level you may still run across someone who knows what they're doing with it, but those instances are outnumbered by people playing crush-me variations.

Not only this but there are quite a few traps too, especially if black doesn't play c6 early enough.

It was amusing the other day, I actually replayed the exact moves of that Morphy - Count Isouard, Duke of Brunswick game against someone.. they thought I was a genius ;)

Rincewind
17-04-2004, 10:32 AM

I didn't say it was entirely unsound, just that I wouldn't recommend it. Usually requires Black to outplay White for Black to equalise. Or to put it another way, White has to make a mistake for Black to equalise. ;)

Either of the Lopez or the Petrov allows Black to fight for equality.

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2004, 09:48 PM
It was amusing the other day, I actually replayed the exact moves of that Morphy - Count Isouard, Duke of Brunswick game against someone.. they thought I was a genius ;)

When it comes to the Philidors, there's a 1400-rated sucker born every minute. It astonishes me that some people reckon it's worth spending three hours a week going to the club to play a game (though if they play some of these lines, it tends to be more like 10 minutes) but don't reckon it's worth spending 20 minutes once a year to learn some basic theory and improve their chess results. Some of these are the same types who complain about the ratings prizes being too small. Perhaps they should put a bit of effort into winning them more often instead. :rolleyes:

In the last couple of years I have had a sad chain of wombles not only kindly oblige with 3...Bg4?! but then follow it up with 6...Nf6? as well. I've never had the full Duke and Count game though, I play 8.Qxb7 and enjoy grinding them into the dust with my one-pawn advantage.

jeffrei
17-04-2004, 11:25 PM
I play 8.Qxb7 and enjoy grinding them into the dust with my one-pawn advantage.

I remember when I was 13 or so I played 8 Bxf7+! in that position and got told off by a 'wise old head' at the local chess club for not following the Morphy game. It's actually the best move (as I found out on obtaining my first copy of Fritz...).

Random recollection: At the world juniors in 1996 I befriended a little spanish senorita, who was rarely to be seen without her copy of "WINNING WITH THE PHILIDOR'S". I remember telling her that I thought there was a mistake in the title of her book (guess "GROVELLING PAINFUL DRAWS WITH THE PHILIDOR'S" didn't have the same ring to it).

I agree 100% with Kevin that the Philidor's isn't such a bad opening in itself but that - for some reason modern science has yet to fathom - it is almost invariably chosen by people with shockingly bad opening knowledge. I've won stacks of games on ICC with 8 Bxf7+!.

Lucena
17-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Random recollection: At the world juniors in 1996 I befriended a little spanish senorita, who was rarely to be seen without her copy of "WINNING WITH THE PHILIDOR'S". I remember telling her that I thought there was a mistake in the title of her book (guess "GROVELLING PAINFUL DRAWS WITH THE PHILIDOR'S" didn't have the same ring to it).
hehe :lol: :lol: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
18-04-2004, 02:33 AM
I remember when I was 13 or so I played 8 Bxf7+! in that position and got told off by a 'wise old head' at the local chess club for not following the Morphy game. It's actually the best move (as I found out on obtaining my first copy of Fritz...).

I looked at it briefly once and thought there was just the tiniest chance of Black getting counterplay if White made mistakes down the line. Looking at it again tonight it looks more like with correct play White's just the exchange and a pawn or two up with nothing really to worry about. Should I smash people with it or should I just win quietly and slowly in the hope that they are stupid enough to let me do it all again? :D

The title was asking for that. I loved the bit in an old article (either Rout or Depasquale, I think) where a lawyer gets up and talks about his client who has been playing the opening following said book with miserable results. The following phrase just stuck in my head:

"Is this the record of a man who is Winning with the Philidor?"