you will be here

jenni
25-09-2005, 11:30 PM
no you're not
you will be here

depends on how you define here - I will definitely NOT be on the BB :lol:

Spiny Norman
26-09-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm away at conferences over the next two weeks ... Geelong this week ... Yeppoon (?) up near Rockhampton next week. If anyone here lives near either of those two places and is up for a game of chess, PM me.

antichrist
26-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Belthasar has gone? When is he coming back? And why?

four four two
26-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Maybe hes looking for the true Messiah. Anyway I hope hes allowed back,his photos are a laugh and a half. ;)

Dozy
26-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Belthasar has gone? When is he coming back? And why?
I had a look through Belthasar's recent posts and could find nothing offensive there. Well, not very offensive, unless you take exception to some of his abbreviations.
He was upset with Chlorophil at the time. Could he have sent him an offensive PM?

Rincewind
26-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I had a look through Belthasar's recent posts and could find nothing offensive there. Well, not very offensive, unless you take exception to some of his abbreviations.
He was upset with Chlorophil at the time. Could he have sent him an offensive PM?

Or, his post, if it were so offensive, could well have been 'moderated'.

Spiny Norman
08-10-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm away at conferences over the next two weeks ... Geelong this week ... Yeppoon (?) up near Rockhampton next week. If anyone here lives near either of those two places and is up for a game of chess, PM me.
Thought I was to have been home again this week, but have just been dragooned into attending a NSW conference (Port Macquarie). Leaving tomorrow (Sunday) and back Thursday.

stevenlhs
08-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Thought I was to have been home again this week, but have just been dragooned into attending a NSW conference (Port Macquarie). Leaving tomorrow (Sunday) and back Thursday.

I believe there is a chess club there - check the NSWCA for a contact and details for when they meet.

auriga
09-10-2005, 09:37 AM
I believe there is a chess club there - check the NSWCA for a contact and details for when they meet.

was up at port a few weeks back (in taree last week).
been told the club at port has changed (no longer at PCYC so would check beforehand) wouldn't know if they got heaps of people though.

one of most active clubs on mid north coast is laurieton
but this is roughly 1 hour or so drive from both port and taree :(

btw. laurieton spring open is 20/10 and coffs harbour (another 3 hours or so north of port!) on 12/11...see the nswca calendar

Spiny Norman
14-10-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm afraid I missed the message before I left ... never mind, I'll be there again next year no doubt. Nice place!

Kevin Bonham
21-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Offline for a while - range of commitments. Might be back Wednesday or Thursday.

Spiny Norman
22-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Liable to be offline now for large slabs of time on a regular basis, due to a major change of work commitments. I will still drop in occasionally to post Croydon Chess stuff.

Kevin Bonham
04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Away for a few days, maybe several depending on time.

Alan Shore
04-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Guys, I've got this pretty bad case of RSI.. so I'll be gone until I can type with my right hand once more... :(

Hopefully not too long but I really don't know...

arosar
04-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Guys, I've got this pretty bad case of RSI.. so I'll be gone until I can type with my right hand once more... :(

Hopefully not too long but I really don't know...

Jesus Christ man...I'm getting bad imagery reading this.

AR

four four two
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
No space invaders or snake for you for awhile. ;) As for typing ,use your left hand S-L-O-W-L-Y. Small piece of advice,put some ice on your right arm,it should help with the inflammation. ;)

Alan Shore
10-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Jesus Christ man...I'm getting bad imagery reading this.

AR

You idiot, RSI, not CTS!

No space invaders or snake for you for awhile. ;) As for typing ,use your left hand S-L-O-W-L-Y. Small piece of advice,put some ice on your right arm,it should help with the inflammation. ;)

No space invaders or snake... it's just so cruel. :(

The_Wise_Man
23-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Liberace leaves Sydney for Holland.
We farewelled Lee last night and wished him well for his Dutch adventure!

Wise

Kaitlin
23-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Liberace leaves Sydney for Holland.
We farewelled Lee last night and wished him well for his Dutch adventure!

Wise

Didnt he just come bak from overseas??? :bored:

EGOR
28-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi,
I've just arrived back from the US. hope I was missed!
Egor.

Spiny Norman
28-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi,
Egor.
Welcome back Egor ... hope you had a good trip!

PHAT
28-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi,
Egor.

Just in time to not go for NSWCA President's position :wink:

Mischa
28-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Isn't Liberace still here?

Mischa
28-11-2005, 10:02 PM
He spoke to me today

arosar
01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Off to the UK. Flying out 4 Dec, Sunday; coming back next 10 Dec, Saturday. Blog will be updated infrequently during this time.

AR

EGOR
01-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Just in time to not go for NSWCA President's position :wink:
Yes, but I did make it onto the council without even going to the AGM. ;)

PHAT
01-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Yes, but I did make it onto the council without even going to the AGM. ;)
On the side of good or evil? :hmm:

Trent Parker
02-12-2005, 02:51 AM
Off to the UK. Flying out 4 Dec, Sunday; coming back next 10 Dec, Saturday. Blog will be updated infrequently during this time.

AR

I'll take the slack by reviving my blog :lol:

EGOR
02-12-2005, 04:51 AM
On the side of good or evil? :hmm:
Which is which? :hmm:

jenni
02-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Isn't Liberace still here?

He's in Canberra at the moment - plans delayed for a bit.

Spiny Norman
16-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Leaving for the Gold Coast tomorrow morning ... 3 beautiful weeks, hopefully mostly in sunshine (its raining in Melbourne this morning).

Alan Shore
03-01-2006, 01:12 AM
I'll be leaving for London, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Rome, Florence and Hong Kong in a matter of hours, gone for a few weeks, not sure if I'll get a chance to log on during that time, so if not, see you all later.

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm leaving for Schouten Island, so there!

I will be offline and off mod duty for about the following.

Jan 8-11
Jan 24-25
Jan 27-29

Rincewind
07-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Well you'll both be jealous when I head for Mansfield early February!!!

Garvinator
07-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Well you'll both be jealous when I head for Mansfield early February!!!
which mansfield?

Davidflude
07-01-2006, 10:33 AM
The only reason I know to go to Mansfield is that it is on the way to Mount Buller and then I only go mid winter to spring.

As far as country towns go it is not bad but If I was moving to the bush I would
go to the Daylesford area.

Which reminds me. I am collecting empty lemonade and mineral water bottles.
This year I plan to stock up on mineral water during the Begonia Tournament.

Kevin Bonham
23-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Jan 24-25
Jan 27-29

And also today (23rd), at least from 2 pm onwards. May or may not be online before then.

EGOR
27-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm away in the Port Stephen's area for two weeks (Jan. 30 till Feb 12). It's work, not pleasure, sadly.:(

PHAT
27-01-2006, 10:41 PM
It's work, not pleasure, sadly.:(

So, you have had idle hands ;)

The_Wise_Man
05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
:hand: :hand: Thought I would let you all know that I will be giving chess a break...:( :(

Other things have to move up the priority list... :hmm: :hmm:
study and work mainly... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will not be standing for the St George club presidency and cannot play on Tuesday nights (including grade matches)

As for the Doeberl, I will not make the trip down this year... (Jenni - I hear the Canberra juniors rejoicing!:lol: ) :lol:

and the hardest thing of all will be to try and stay away from the BB.

Wise

ps you may have noticed that I have changed my avatar...

bergil
06-02-2006, 02:32 AM
You may have noticed that I have changed my avatar...
Is that because your to busy to follow those losers? :owned:

The_Wise_Man
06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
No bergil...

More so to distinguish that I no longer talk for the St George committee, but have seperate opinion that may or may not be in alliance with what is happening at St George.

Wise

bergil
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Ok :P

Rincewind
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
The only reason I know to go to Mansfield is that it is on the way to Mount Buller and then I only go mid winter to spring.

Nice little town this time of year too. :) Except the community centre is closing at 5. :(

Kevin Bonham
08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I'll be offline or posting at rather low volume probably for the rest of this month. The reasons are:

(i) some commitments that will cause me to be offline totally for solid blocks of several days here and there, including one starting tomorrow and going until about next Tuesday.
(ii) work pressures. The main contract I am working on at the moment has been plagued with an incredible series of logistic hassles and I need to get more serious about trying to sort out the mess.

I will still try to drop in from time to time when I have information to present (eg Olympiad notices - should be one just after midnight tonight - and state champs results) and may dabble a little here and there but it's best to assume I'll be offline for the rest of the month and to raise moderation concerns via the post report button (or with another mod/admin).

To this end I have disabled my private messages since there is always someone who does not read this thread and tries to PM me an urgent mod concern while I am away, then wonders why I don't respond. Email via the forum is still active but please use it only if desperate to contact me about general chess business - use post report for any moderation concerns.

Hope to be back to normal capacity quickly once all this has blown over.

jenni
08-03-2006, 01:51 PM
As for the Doeberl, I will not make the trip down this year... (Jenni - I hear the Canberra juniors rejoicing!:lol: ) :lol:

OOps just saw this! Enjoyed meeting you in more pleasant circumstances last year and sorry to hear you won't be down this year. No doubt we'll meet again when you make a return to chess at some stage. :)

Spiny Norman
08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I am away for 48 hours on business, back for the weekend, then away again in country QLD from 14/3 through 18/3 inclusive.

qpawn ... that gives you a little longer to think over your next move! ;)

Rincewind ... it also means I'll be absent from "Does God Exist" ... :uhoh: ... hopefully we can pick up the thread again when I get back (or not, as the case may be). ;)

Rincewind
08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Rincewind ... it also means I'll be absent from "Does God Exist" ... :uhoh: ... hopefully we can pick up the thread again when I get back (or not, as the case may be). ;)

I hope you do get back.

eclectic
10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
oft times when i visit and/or post on this forum i feel like a real goose ... perhaps i should [deleted] for a while ... ;)

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Bad news flamewar opponents! I seem to have my work issues under control (famous last words) and so I am back to posting and modding at a fairly patchy capacity except for the bulk of the dates shown in my location field. Also PMs have been switched back on, but don't necessarily expect fast (or any) replies.

ursogr8
24-03-2006, 07:47 PM
a/c

Welcome back, mate.
The bb has not been the same without you.
I look fwd to what you electically provide for our edification..

starter

eclectic
24-03-2006, 07:55 PM
a/c

I look fwd to what you electically provide for our edification

lucky there was a c missing starter or i'd have been visiting my trademark/patent lawyers

;)

welcome back antichrist!!

antichrist
24-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks, the only time I felt like yelling out whilst on lent was when Bunta was worried about being penalised for missing a game at St George, the drongo, he was in the perfect position to just copy a scoresheet out of a classic games book and hand it in. They would have cannonised him and had his first norm up - just as I had advised him.

bergil
24-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks, the only time I felt like yelling out whilst on lent was when Bunta was worried about being penalised for missing a game at St George, the drongo, he was in the perfect position to just copy a scoresheet out of a classic games book and hand it in. They would have cannonised him and had his first norm up - just as I had advised him.
:P

eclectic
26-03-2006, 12:41 AM
maybe all of us need to go to the nearest window ... preferably during daylight hours ...

and like look outside

there IS life outside of this place

and life outside of australian chess even

:hand:

bergil
26-03-2006, 12:52 AM
and life outside of australian chess even:hand:
I refuse to believe it!!

Alan Shore
26-03-2006, 02:35 AM

and life outside of australian chess even

:hand:

I had the best time tonight.. went out to the city and the valley, so many cute girls.. lots of action.. anyway got the number of one of them, so woo!

firegoat7
26-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi AC,

good to see you return.

cheers Fg7

EGOR
28-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm here far less often now, which you maY have noticed (probably not) this is a reflection of changes in my working life and I just don't have the time to hang out here all day anymore. I still mostly like the place and will visit when I can.
ECOR.:sad:

Spiny Norman
08-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm off ... the latest combination of ACF bans combined with moderation rules (re: private conversations) make participation here a waste of time. I shall be asking the board administrator to suspend my account. Anyone wanting to contact me can do so through Croydon Chess (www.croydonchess.com). Thanks everyone, its been real ...

WhiteElephant
08-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm off ... the latest combination of ACF bans combined with moderation rules (re: private conversations) make participation here a waste of time. I shall be asking the board administrator to suspend my account. Anyone wanting to contact me can do so through Croydon Chess (www.croydonchess.com). Thanks everyone, its been real ...

I will be sorry to see Frosty go. But hey, given recent events it is hardly surprising.

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I hope that Frosty will read my latest response to his concerns (in the Coffee Lounge) as I believe that he is overreacting in this instance.

antichrist
08-04-2006, 08:09 PM
I told Frosty that JC didn't pick up his cross and go home.

Gee some people are over-sensitive. Frosty is about the last person to get barred (that is never), whereas I have been barred many times and could not give two hoots what the rules are - have not even bothered reading and understanding them.

Some mod rules have been grossly unfair with the threat of barrings, this should definitely be looked into. But we are told this is a private board so .... This happened to me, not by KB but one particular one with a biased eye.

ElevatorEscapee
08-04-2006, 08:51 PM

Bye Frosty, hope to catch up with you in Real Life again sometime. :)

antichrist
08-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Bye Frosty, hope to catch up with you in Real Life again sometime. :)

I most admit he was one of the most decent chaps on the BB. In spite of all the poop I put on him about religion he was so patient and even welcomed me back onto BB. For him to go maybe something is becoming smelly.

There are not many like Frosty on the BB.

PHAT
08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm off

:( Fair thee well, and I will C U later.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Watto
09-04-2006, 01:53 AM
You've been an excellent contributor to this bb Frosty- I've got a lot of respect for the way you handle yourself. Hope to meet you sometime and best of luck with your chess!

Trent Parker
09-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Might not be back here for the rest of the week. Family issues.

antichrist
09-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah TCN, I can see it again - can't get to Doeberl

arosar
18-04-2006, 09:06 PM
what the hell happened to eclectic and Kaitlin?

AR

Alan Shore
18-04-2006, 09:13 PM

AR

I just saw both of them on fics during the last couple of days.

Kevin Bonham
19-04-2006, 01:30 AM

AR

eclectic asked to suspend his account in late March - just wanted a break apparently. Kaitlin hasn't been on since early Feb.

antichrist
19-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Kaitlin reminds me of those bubble gum bands of the seventies was it? ...sugar, sugar, honey honey, you are my candy girl...

KB, I would expect you to know all about them.

Igor_Goldenberg
20-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Away on holiday for a week (till 27/4/06)

Rincewind
22-04-2006, 11:05 PM
AWOL for a few days.

antichrist
23-04-2006, 10:33 AM
AWOL for a few days.

we won't put two and two together

Alan Shore
24-04-2006, 11:54 PM
I'll be gone for a while.. hopefully will return in happier circumstances. See you...

Rhubarb
25-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I'll be gone for a while.. hopefully will return in happier circumstances. See you...
fo then you frigid geriatric

Rincewind
25-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm ba-ack. What did I miss?

antichrist
25-04-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm ba-ack. What did I miss?

What is the barring re Matt and FG being discussed in CL?

We are mates again.

Kevin Bonham
28-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I'll be offline from Saturday mid-afternoon to Wednesday evening.

PHAT
28-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I'll be offline from Saturday mid-afternoon to Wednesday evening.
Not long enough.

Kevin Bonham
28-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Not long enough.

If that came from a worthy opponent, I would take it as a compliment! :owned:

PHAT
29-04-2006, 12:46 AM
If that came from a worthy opponent, I would take it as a compliment! :owned:

:rolleyes: Get real.

You are not my opponent. You are not even a candidate. You are less than a stone in my shoe, and more than you know how to handle.

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2006, 02:03 AM
You are not my opponent.

Quite true. You are several leagues below me in all regards other than your capacity for self-puffery beyond any form of reason, which I could not possibly emulate.

If I discover an invertebrate with less of a clue than you on this trip, I shall name it (Insert Genus Here) sweeneyi. However, I think that is scientifically impossible.

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Not long enough.

As it turns out you were right! :D

Extremely bad weather and/or piking by the ferry company's beancounters resulted in me being stuck on Maria Island for an unexpected extra day. But for a break in the weather yesterday morning it could have been 3-4 extra days and I may have had to resort to eating my avatar!

Alan Shore
09-05-2006, 01:18 AM
fo then you frigid geriatric

Heh, nice.

I actually left because I've been having some problems with my health and unfortunately have had to reduce some of my active involvement in things and so on, won't bore you with that, but I don't see that as necessarily precluding me from posting here again sometimes.. I don't think anyone missed me really though, so oh well.. that's all.

WhiteElephant
09-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Heh, nice.

I actually left because I've been having some problems with my health and unfortunately have had to reduce some of my active involvement in things and so on, won't bore you with that, but I don't see that as necessarily precluding me from posting here again sometimes.. I don't think anyone missed me really though, so oh well.. that's all.

Sorry to hear about your health. Good to have you back one way or another.

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
No-one is too young to have health problems. Hope you'll be OK. I do recall some posts from people missing you during your absence. So there. :P

Kevin Bonham
13-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Offline from Sunday mid-afternoon til Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Offline Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday this week.

Rincewind
09-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Vic Open time.
Down to Canberra to pick up Gino then on to Dandenong!
Back Tuesday sometime.

Trent Parker
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
What??? Going to vic Open??? What about NSW Open???

Traitor!

Bill Does this bring the game in NSW into disrepute? :lol:

Charge: equivalent to treason. :lol:

Rincewind
12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
What??? Going to vic Open??? What about NSW Open???

Traitor!

Bill Does this bring the game in NSW into disrepute? :lol:

Charge: equivalent to treason. :lol:

Had a ball. I was on 3/5 going into the last day but only ended up with 2 draws in the last rounds against opponents slightly lower than myself. The last round was a bit disappointing as I believe I was winning a game comfortably and mist calculated on move 30. Had I won I think I would have been with 4 others sharing the rating group B prize. Oh well, there is always next year.

Winning was Dusan Stojic and David Smerdon. Exciting last round clash between Dusan and Smerf where the latter came through to catch Dusan (who was on 6/6 going in to the last round).

Trent Parker
17-06-2006, 11:32 AM
might not be on here as much anymore......

A uni mate and i are considering going into business together doing bookkeeping. Most of my time will be taken up preparing for that; Business plans to do, feasibility studies etc etc. And during the day for the next three weeks i have some labouring type work.

Not that i think i'll be missing much though.....

EDIT: with all the account suspensions i might force myself to stay away by suspending myself. Hey it might help my blogging :D

Rincewind
02-07-2006, 10:28 AM
See you all in a week.

Kevin Bonham
18-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I'll be offline all or nearly all of Thursday and Friday.

Basil
18-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Won't be around as much for a few days. A stork is bringing a special little package to my family on Wednesday morning. Joy. :)

And Anthony makes two!

Axiom
18-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Won't be around as much for a few days. A stork is bringing a special little package to my family on Wednesday morning. Joy. :)

And Anthony makes two!im very happy for you hd, but please dont forget your primary responsibilities here at this bb,..im sure you wont,i guess its just a matter of a little reorganisation!

Desmond
19-07-2006, 09:53 AM

And Anthony makes two!
Hope everything went well for you. So, the million dollar question:

Was it a boy or girl?

Basil
20-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Boy.
Born 10:20am
9lbs, 10oz or 4.367g in the new money.
Bit of fluid on lungs. Kept in for obs for a coupla days.

Ian Murray
20-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Boy.
Born 10:20am
9lbs, 10oz or 4.367g in the new money.
Bit of fluid on lungs. Kept in for obs for a coupla days.

Hey, Big Daddy - nice one! My congrats to Renee also

Ian

Mischa
20-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Congratulations....esp. to Renee,,,what a BIG boy!!!!

Desmond
20-07-2006, 08:42 AM
onya maaaaaate! :D

Kevin Bonham
24-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Going offline within next hour or so - probably off til about midday Wednesday.

[edit: back early but just for a few hours]

Kevin Bonham
07-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Offline Tuesday - Thursday evening except for possibly Wednesday evening.

Sunshine
08-08-2006, 12:02 AM
This seems like a very sad thread.

Garvinator
08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
This seems like a very sad thread.
why? It is just people saying when they wont be around.

Sunshine
08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Just that a couple of days absence needs to be announced.

This seems the sort of site to log into every now and then.

There does not seem to be anything that would be mission critical for anyone.

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Just that a couple of days absence needs to be announced.

I do that because I am a moderator and I like to let posters know when I am going to be offline so they know there is no point contacting me about moderation issues during that time. That is all - if I was not a mod I would not do it.

Alan Shore
31-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank those of you who enquired about my health and offered positive messages of support, they were much appreciated. The good news is I'm apparently back to full capacity for now, so yay.

arosar
31-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Why? What happened to you?

I tell you something. Just drink a lot of tea. It's good for you. Red wine too. And eat a lot of fish.

AR

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Offline Friday evening to Monday afternoon. Might get online to post scores from Lton weekender during this time but won't have time to do any modding.

antichrist
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I will miss you intensely

Garvinator
22-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Will be gone from tonight till late Sunday night. Any correspondence tournament problems will be dealt with then.

Desmond
22-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Will be gone from tonight till late Sunday night. Any correspondence tournament problems will be dealt with then.Don't forget to pack your rosary beads.

Kevin Bonham
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Offline Friday - Monday.

Cat
14-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, I know where I'm not wanted. Barry choose to ban me because I insisted on one of my post staying put. I thought I acted reasonably, he didn't see it like that.

I guess when you get banned for attempting to place your opinion, then you have to ask what is the point, really? It's not an action of moderation, it's childish exclusion.

Any organisation banning dissention is in serious trouble. It also demonstrates a total lack of respect and disregard of it's patrons. I'm off again to greener pastures until some decency is restored. Barry, you're turning into a complete prat these days, you would never have behaved like that before - sort yourself out.

Cat

antichrist
14-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Ok, I know where I'm not wanted. Barry choose to ban me because I insisted on one of my post staying put. I thought I acted reasonably, he didn't see it like that.

I guess when you get banned for attempting to place your opinion, then you have to ask what is the point, really? It's not an action of moderation, it's childish exclusion.

Any organisation banning dissention is in serious trouble. It also demonstrates a total lack of respect and disregard of it's patrons. I'm off again to greener pastures until some decency is restored. Barry, you're turning into a complete prat these days, you would never have behaved like that before - sort yourself out.

Cat

Cat, I tend to agree with you, and not only about Barry.

I think some Mods take a dislike to a poster, even adopting the position of the enemy of my friend is also my enemy and so punishes for no reason other than that a third person may not like someone.

Sometimes they cull for no valid reason, even when other posters have responded to the post and did not find it objectionable in any way.

I consider some of their actions like those of Little Hitlers.

Rincewind
14-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Cat, we have a difference of opinion and on this particular point. You were never censored and I refrained from banning you until you repeated your offence many times over. You can make a useful contribution to this board but you need to be mindful that off-topic posts are actively discouraged and efforts to circumvent the actions moderators and admins are not tolerated for very long at all.

EGOR
14-10-2006, 06:52 PM
From what I understand you got annoyed because one of you posts was determined to be off topic and moved, so you broke forum rules and re-posted (a number of times)in the original place despite being warned not to?
So is it childish exclusing to ban someone for breaking the rules?

Cat
14-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Cat, we have a difference of opinion and on this particular point. You were never censored and I refrained from banning you until you repeated your offence many times over. You can make a useful contribution to this board but you need to be mindful that off-topic posts are actively discouraged and efforts to circumvent the actions moderators and admins are not tolerated for very long at all.

Thanks Barry, it's nothing personal you know.

Cat
14-10-2006, 11:26 PM
From what I understand you got annoyed because one of you posts was determined to be off topic and moved, so you broke forum rules and re-posted (a number of times)in the original place despite being warned not to?
So is it childish exclusing to ban someone for breaking the rules?

If you knew me personally Egor, you would know I wouldn't become annoyed about these kinds of things. I was attempting to assert myself. I told Barry (in a deleted post) I disagreed with him, my post was a direct response to Drug. Barry had actually hi-jacked the thread somewhat. All of that's irrelevant really, Barry's entitled to his opinion.

Egor I had already become disappointed with the way in which the BB was being managed. Whether the BB culture had influenced the ACF or the other way round, the strategy adopted for dealing with dissent has become increasingly destructive and destabilising. I do not believe these kinds of actions are in the interests of chess and overall I think have been very damaging.

Although the ACF and the BB are not directly linked, the ACF is so closely atached now that the conduct of BB must reflect back on the ACF. The attitudes of both the BB and the ACF seem indistinguishable. Intolerance seems to be afflicting both in an ever increasing measure, and the negative personalisation which began with Bill Gletsos and Kevin Bonham seems now to be institutionalised.

I had already resolved that should I be banned for airing my opinion, I would make my departure. I have a lot of other interests and my time is precious to me. I've been so busy over the last year or so that my contribution at grass-roots level has been pretty poor. Fortunately the Gold Coast chess scene is very rhobust now, thanks to Gardiner Chess.

So I figured my departure might be salutary, in that it wouldn't be terribly damaging, but would neverthless represent a pointed warning - namely that the continued and wanton disregard of differing opinion will only lead to continuing disengagement.

We can still communicate across the water, Egor.

Basil
15-10-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi David, I think you perpetuate the myth that some posters are dealt with in a certain way because of dissent. The reality is very clear. It is not the dissent in itself. It is the method of dissent.

antichrist
15-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi David, I think you perpetuate the myth that some posters are dealt with in a certain way because of dissent. The reality is very clear. It is not the dissent in itself. It is the method of dissent.

But Howard some get barred because they are the enemy of their friend!

Kevin Bonham
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Offline Friday morning til Sunday evening or Monday.

Southpaw Jim
02-11-2006, 10:17 PM

Amen.

Alan Shore
02-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Amen.

I do not agree.

Southpaw Jim
03-11-2006, 07:22 AM
I do not agree.

Furrynuts.

Steve K
03-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I do not agree.

I agree with this post.

bergil
03-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Furrynuts.
I agree with this post

Steve K
03-11-2006, 12:03 PM
I agree with this post
Sounds like you spend too much time picking hairs from between your teeth.

bergil
03-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you spend too much time picking hairs from between your teeth.C'mon expert can you tell me what that mean? ;)

Kevin Bonham
04-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Offline Monday 6am for a few days, not sure exactly how long.

Paul S
22-12-2006, 07:37 PM
I am taking an indefinite break from chess, and in particular chess administration. While my voluntary contributions to chess admin are nowhere near as much as the likes of Norm Greenwood, Bill Gletsos, Charles Zworestine etc etc, I have nonetheless "risen above the masses" and made a useful contribution. The constant negativity in Australian chess is doing no good for me and causing more harm than good. It is making my problems with depression (I have always been prone to depression) worse. I need to get a more fulfilling life rather than being surrounded by all this negativity and selfishness (a typical feature of chess clubs is that only one or two people are doing all the organising work) of Australian chess.

Unfortunately chess seems to attract a higher percentage of mentally ill and/or whingeing and/or dysfunctional (to be honest, I'll own up to being a little dysfunctional myself) and/or stingy people than any other sport, which makes being a chess organiser an unpleasant task (once the initial enthusiasm has worn off). After several years of dealing with mentally ill people (I've had to deal with one player threatening to kill himself after losing a game of chess, another who took advantage of Canterbury chess club for his own selfish purposes, another who wastes my time talking about the most off-beam topics etc etc), dealing with trivial disputes (eg every year one player in my Grade Matches team has every second or third match he plays end in a dispute which I have to try and sort out, and having to deal with endless "you touched a piece; no I didn't" type disputes), trivial complaints (too numerous to mention here) from selfish individuals who never make any contribution to their club and stingy individuals (eg players who baulk at paying a $10 club membership fee and who refuse to become Leagues Club members after all the things the parent Leagues club has done for their club such as free rent and generous subsidies and players who after giving me a "sob story" I have loaned money to and not pay me back)............................well, enough is enough and I need to get out of chess. Lots of little things (and a few big things) build up and take their toll, and like I say, enough is enough!

One only needs to look at this Chess Chat Forum to see what a sad state of affairs Aussie chess is in and to see examples of mentally ill and/or dysfunctional individuals (not that everyone on Chess Chat is in that category, but like I said earlier, chess seems to attract a higher percentage of mentally ill and/or whingeing and/or dysfuntional and/or stingy people than any other sport). Looking back, I don't know why (from 2003-2005) I wasted so much time on Chess Chat making so many posts.

Well, maybe I will be back one day (perhaps in a year's time?) as a player.......but as for chess admin, forget it........it is just not worth it!

antichrist
22-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I almost feel guilty all the pleasaure and money I get out of chess, and I was probably the one who used the club for my own selfish purpose by organising a very successful comp there - I think he just does not like someone showing up his patheticness in organising and as a public speaker.

WhiteElephant
22-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I am taking an indefinite break from chess, and in particular chess administration. While my voluntary contributions to chess admin are nowhere near as much as the likes of Norm Greenwood, Bill Gletsos, Charles Zworestine etc etc, I have nonetheless "risen above the masses" and made a useful contribution. The constant negativity in Australian chess is doing no good for me and causing more harm than good. It is making my problems with depression (I have always been prone to depression) worse. I need to get a more fulfilling life rather than being surrounded by all this negativity and selfishness (a typical feature of chess clubs is that only one or two people are doing all the organising work) of Australian chess.

Unfortunately chess seems to attract a higher percentage of mentally ill and/or whingeing and/or dysfunctional (to be honest, I'll own up to being a little dysfunctional myself) and/or stingy people than any other sport, which makes being a chess organiser an unpleasant task (once the initial enthusiasm has worn off). After several years of dealing with mentally ill people (I've had to deal with one player threatening to kill himself after losing a game of chess, another who took advantage of Canterbury chess club for his own selfish purposes, another who wastes my time talking about the most off-beam topics etc etc), dealing with trivial disputes (eg every year one player in my Grade Matches team has every second or third match he plays end in a dispute which I have to try and sort out, and having to deal with endless "you touched a piece; no I didn't" type disputes), trivial complaints (too numerous to mention here) from selfish individuals who never make any contribution to their club and stingy individuals (eg players who baulk at paying a $10 club membership fee and who refuse to become Leagues Club members after all the things the parent Leagues club has done for their club such as free rent and generous subsidies and players who after giving me a "sob story" I have loaned money to and not pay me back)............................well, enough is enough and I need to get out of chess. Lots of little things (and a few big things) build up and take their toll, and like I say, enough is enough!

One only needs to look at this Chess Chat Forum to see what a sad state of affairs Aussie chess is in and to see examples of mentally ill and/or dysfunctional individuals (not that everyone on Chess Chat is in that category, but like I said earlier, chess seems to attract a higher percentage of mentally ill and/or whingeing and/or dysfuntional and/or stingy people than any other sport). Looking back, I don't know why (from 2003-2005) I wasted so much time on Chess Chat making so many posts.

Well, maybe I will be back one day (perhaps in a year's time?) as a player.......but as for chess admin, forget it........it is just not worth it!

It always makes me sad to hear this kind of thing but unfortunately it is true.

antichrist
22-12-2006, 08:44 PM
It always makes me sad to hear this kind of thing but unfortunately it is true.

Well I seen how they were in that club about 6 years ago which is why I got off the executive, I was not going to be the sucker (I was extremely busy with other committments) doing the work whilst about 20 able-bodied people look on without voluntering. But he was wrong for fighting for years against the Sydney Easter Cup for no good reason.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2006, 09:09 PM
One only needs to look at this Chess Chat Forum to see what a sad state of affairs Aussie chess is in and to see examples of mentally ill and/or dysfunctional individuals (not that everyone on Chess Chat is in that category, but like I said earlier, chess seems to attract a higher percentage of mentally ill and/or whingeing and/or dysfuntional and/or stingy people than any other sport).

I would have said it was more a matter of internet forums generally attracting more than their fair share of such customers but it sounds like Paul has met more than a fair share of them in the chess community at large as well.

I don't blame him for walking away from those kinds of people (as he describes them). All I can say is that I've generally found local club-level admin to be a positive experience and have rarely had to deal with really annoying people in doing it. Perhaps in larger centres one would come into contact with more of them simply because the chess population is larger, and I can imagine that could get trying.

antichrist
22-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I would have said it was more a matter of internet forums generally attracting more than their fair share of such customers but it sounds like Paul has met more than a fair share of them in the chess community at large as well.

I don't blame him for walking away from those kinds of people (as he describes them). All I can say is that I've generally found local club-level admin to be a positive experience and have rarely had to deal with really annoying people in doing it. Perhaps in larger centres one would come into contact with more of them simply because the chess population is larger, and I can imagine that could get trying.

But you must realise that this chap sees demons where they don't exist, he reakons I was selfish doing SEC, all I was doing was organising a comp for those who could not, like myself, could not attend Doberl as much as I would have loved to, I was being obliging not selfish

antichrist
22-12-2006, 09:27 PM
NSWCA appreciated his efforts so much that they pulled the plug n his bulletin without consulting him or something like that

EGOR
23-12-2006, 06:57 AM
NSWCA appreciated his efforts so much that they pulled the plug n his bulletin without consulting him or something like that
Is there any point to pointing out all the things wrong with this statement and everything else you posted in response to Paul's post.
It's good to see that you've shown Paul that he has made the right decision by kicking him in the butt as he walks out the door.:evil:

Basil
24-12-2006, 02:55 AM
I am taking an indefinite break from chess, and in particular chess administration...
Good luck to you Paul. I don't know you personally, but I am aware of much of your contributions. I'm sorry to hear of your experiences. I have witnessed pedants, miscrients and ingrates hypothsise, intellectualise and personalise such things of which you speak. Without knowing the specifics, I'd have a dollar on "The problem is them and not you!"

Be strong, stay well.
Regards
Howard

ER
24-12-2006, 11:22 AM
I am taking an indefinite break from chess, and in particular chess administration. One only needs to look at this Chess Chat Forum to see what a sad state of affairs Aussie chess is in and to see examples of mentally ill and/or dysfunctional individuals (not that everyone on Chess Chat is in that category, but like I said earlier, chess seems to attract a higher percentage of mentally ill and/or whingeing and/or dysfuntional and/or stingy people than any other sport). Looking back, I don't know why (from 2003-2005) I wasted so much time on Chess Chat making so many posts.

Hey Paul S
First of all Merry Xmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you and your beloved ones!
Second, Please do me the favour and don't take all those nuts (so accurately described above) seriously!
Third, the Board is as serious as the serious people who give their time and efford to keep it (as well as the AUS Chess Admin - in its various forms Federal and/or State) alive and well. You 'll find that these good individuals don't talk nonsense, don't compose diatribes to argue a point, contribute short and meaningful ideas, have a great sense of humour and generally keep things moving. There is also a number of objective but non participant objervers who just follow the events as in an endless web of Chess Variations (or even Variants). ;)The rest are usually sad stagnated cases, not worthy of even spending some time to read their sad frustrated elegies.
Fourth, look at the possitive achievements of your work, and the work of others. You will then find that there were quite a few successes throughout the year (s).
You sound like a sensitive person who has values and deep understanding of others. I believe that the Chess Community has to gain more from your presence than your absence! Think about it!
Cheers and good luck mate!

antichrist
24-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I now realise that I have been totally wrong on this and he should be made a life member immediately

Steve K
28-12-2006, 08:13 AM
The ban applied to quoting from an article in an Australian chess magazine is the last straw for me. As I said elsewhere here at Chess Chat dealing with the Sweeney factor by chess officials and moderators has stooped to Billy McMahon stupidity and I've had enough.

Someone please drop me a note if this site ever becomes a sensible place to debate and discuss chess issues. I don't expect such a note will be arriving in the near future.

Watto
28-12-2006, 09:28 AM
The ban applied to quoting from an article in an Australian chess magazine is the last straw for me. As I said elsewhere here at Chess Chat dealing with the Sweeney factor by chess officials and moderators has stooped to Billy McMahon stupidity and I've had enough.

Someone please drop me a note if this site ever becomes a sensible place to debate and discuss chess issues. I don't expect such a note will be arriving in the near future.
Hi Steve. I don't think we've met yet but just letting you know I've appreciated your posts... so thanks.

antichrist
28-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Now Watto, I have always considered you a straight-shooter so I can't understand you backing Matt via Steve - why? Because Matt said some shocking things about women on this board.

Watto
28-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Now Watto, I have always considered you a straight-shooter so I can't understand you backing Matt via Steve - why? Because Matt said some shocking things about women on this board.
Don't be an idiot AC. I've appreciated Steve's often intelligent contributions to this board. As far as Matt goes, I think he's made life difficult for himself but having served out a full ban he shouldn't be required to make an apology at the end of it (and re that he has my full support). But that's not the point of my post or of this thread which is why I didn't go into it. The point was that Steve says he's leaving and I wanted him to know I've appreciated his posts. That's it.

antichrist
28-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Watto, excuse me, but do seriously think I can cease being an idiot - undue optimism

Watto
28-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Watto, excuse me, but do seriously think I can cease being an idiot - undue optimism
okay, have to admit, you've got me there. :)

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2006, 06:16 PM

I find being compared to Billy McMahon to be "Billy McMahon stupidity", but don't let that stop you.

In response to your post, despite its intemperate and disrespectful nature, I sincerely attempted to open dialogue about how exceptions to the rule on banned poster quoting might be best defined.

If you want to run away from that discussion instead of contributing and waiting to see if it produces anything, that's your loss, and you won't be getting any "note" from me.

Publicist
19-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Test and hi.

Rincewind
19-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Test and hi.

Welcome.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Offline Tuesday morning - Thursday night.

eclectic
01-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I will try my very best to be away for a decent length of time as a courtesy to those of you whom I annoy albeit unintentionally. (chen [419) twin 421]

Denis_Jessop
02-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I will try my very best to be away for a decent length of time as a courtesy to those of you whom I annoy albeit unintentionally. (chen [419) twin 421]

You'd better plan it well or I'll get my mate Bettan to come and detonate you - she is very partial to that kind of thing.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2007, 01:19 AM
For various, predominantly pleasant, reasons I will not be online very much from now until the end of the month. At times during this period I will be offline entirely for a few days at a time. At others I may be reading and posting as per normal, lightly, or not at all.

Anyway to keep it simple please direct all moderation enquiries to other mods during this period. I may do some modding here and there but if you send me a PM don't be surprised if I completely ignore it.

ER
05-04-2007, 02:46 AM
[QUOTE=Kevin Bonham]For various, predominantly pleasant, reasons I will not be online very much .... QUOTE]

Rumour has it you 'll be in the disciplinary committee of Howie's DHBBD Awards :)

Take care and have a nice one mate!
Cheers and good luck!

WhiteElephant
05-04-2007, 07:48 AM
For various, predominantly pleasant, reasons...

Yeah, do tell :) Are you going on a romantic getaway or something?

Desmond
05-04-2007, 08:37 AM
DHBBD Awards :)If that stands for what I assume it does, then some HCDs are in order. :lol:

ER
05-04-2007, 10:17 AM
If that stands for what I assume it does, then some HCDs are in order. :lol:

He never gives me any kudos, he just calls me names, his real name is Howard Scrooge or is it Ebenezer Duggan?
Cheers and good luck! Hold on doesn't DHBBD stand for Duggan Howard's Bulletin Board Dribbling? :P

PS1
as for Kevin he is obviously fallen head over heels in love, and as such he cannot be held responsible for any action and/or decicion. From experience I know it will take him quite some time to recover! His Chess will suffer as well! :)

PS2
Where is a/c? honeymooning or something?

WhiteElephant
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
as for Kevin he is obviously fallen head over heels in love, and as such he cannot be held responsible for any action and/or decicion. From experience I know it will take him quite some time to recover! His Chess will suffer as well! :)

Maybe he'll go easier on Fg7, AC and others....

Bill Gletsos
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Maybe he'll go easier on Fg7, AC and others....I suggest you also keep an eye out for flying pigs. ;)

arosar
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Canberra, SIO, then UK.

C U in 2 weeks.

AR

WhiteElephant
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Off to Sydney for 1 week. Unfortunately not playing in the SIO but will be able to spectate for a couple of days. Looking forward to catching up with friends in Sydney and hitting the nightclubs!

I wish I could stay away from this place, but I am sure I will have a peek from internet cafes every day.

Hope everyone is having an awesome Easter!

WE

Kevin Bonham
09-04-2007, 12:42 AM

Actually as far as I can tell there is little if any historical corellation between my chess form and the state of my personal life. In the past I have won tournaments both relatively early in relationships and immediately after their demise.

I cannot comment on your speculations as it is my desire that M. Sweeney's understanding of my personal life remain as hilariously out of date as possible. :lol: I did say there were various reasons. ;)

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Offline til Wednesday evening.

Kevin Bonham
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Offline 8:30ish this evening to sometime Monday evening or night.

Garvinator
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Offline till Friday

Spiny Norman
17-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Driving over to Adelaide tomorrow (Wed) and coming back Thursday ... picking up some speakers for my guitar rig!

Watto
17-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Gone for two months. Going to concentrate on illustration.

Have fun everyone. Will no doubt see some of you at the Geelong Open... :)

ER
17-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Driving over to Adelaide tomorrow (Wed) and coming back Thursday ... picking up some speakers for my guitar rig!

Hi Frosty
Please more details about the guitar rig! I am interested too!
Cheers and good luck!

Spiny Norman
17-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Please more details about the guitar rig! I am interested too!
Guitar:1989 Fender Stratocaster "USA Strat Plus"
-- floating tremolo
-- 2 x Fender Lace Sensor single coil pickups
-- 1 x Seymour Duncan "Hot Rails" humbucker
-- stock standard, apart from that last item

I ditched my Marshall AVT100 combo amp this week, so now relying solely on a Boss GT-8 amp modeller, with a Harmonic Converger (in the effects loop). I am still learning how the GT-8 works, but have now sourced myself a mentor who knows the gear inside and out and he is gradually teaching me how to get the best out of it.

At home, for practicing and recording, I run the GT-8 into a pair of Alesis M1 620 Active studio reference monitors. I've not yet bought a proper sound card setup, but am looking around. The GT-8 can output 24-bit digital via SP/DIF coax connector, so will probably take a digital feed straight into the computer.

Part of the reason for my trip to Adelaide is to pick up a pair of Mackie SRM450's (450W powered speakers ... but the older and much better Italian-built version, not China-built version!). For playing live I will run the GT-8 left and right channel outputs (i.e. stereo) into a DI box, then take a feed to the PA, plus a feed to the Mackie's. Never again will I be drowned out by the drummer ... those Mackie's can punch out a huge FRFR sound and so match really well to the GT-8.

Trent Parker
17-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I may or may not be falling off of the cybernetic world for a while while my mother goes through a "house redecorating phase....."

Oh god help us; God help us all!!

Trent Parker
29-07-2007, 07:19 AM
well its confirmed. My mother has re arranged things and the computer is now in a room that currently does not have a phone connection near it. not sure how long this will be for..... i might have to get a few long telephone cables and link it up.......

Garvinator
29-07-2007, 12:47 PM
well its confirmed. My mother has re arranged things and the computer is now in a room that currently does not have a phone connection near it. not sure how long this will be for..... i might have to get a few long telephone cables and link it up.......
What kind of internet are you on at home? Dial-up, broadband, cable or satellite?

Kevin Bonham
29-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I'll be offline either entirely or mostly from Tuesday-Friday. Please direct any moderation issues to another mod during this time, unless you don't mind waiting til I get back.

Spiny Norman
30-07-2007, 04:16 AM
TCN ... if you want to go wireless there are a few options ... either a wireless network card for your PC + a wireless router in the room with the phone line and ADSL modem ... or a pair of wireless routers, set up in a "bridge" configuration (each wireless router configured to talk only to the other one) which will trunk the traffic to/from the other room (I use a link like this at work and its very reliable).

Perhaps start a thread in the 1337 lounge if you need a hand with either of these (e.g. hardware recommendations, setup tips, etc).

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Won't be online much for the next week. From Sunday afternoon til Friday I'm expecting to be online Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and nights only.

Garvinator
23-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Will be in Bundaberg from tomorrow till Monday night. Will answer any questions when I get back.

Garrett
24-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Will be in Bundaberg from tomorrow till Monday night. Will answer any questions when I get back.

Why do you think we care ?

Only kidding - good on you Garvo.

ER
04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Being very busy recently, ie IAAF Osaka 2007 coverage, gym, work and business responsibilities, are keeping me away from a more regular presence here! See you all soon around WCC time! Cheers and good luck to All / all (*)

(*) I have serious doubts that the "all" part of the equation has any reason to feel cheerful or hope for any luck as their reson d'ętre but anyway!!! ;)

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I'll be offline all Wednesday. Then after that for 5-6 days I will probably be online some of the time, but don't rely on it.

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I'll be offline all Wednesday. Then after that for 5-6 days I will probably be online some of the time, but don't rely on it.

Especially not when I'm relying on connections that perish unexpectedly. Back to normal Thursday most likely.

EGOR
05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
I have decided to stop posting on chess forums, I've realized that I just don't enjoy it anymore. So, apart from finishing my correspondence games, I am no longer reading or posting on this or any chess forum.

Ian Murray
13-12-2007, 12:03 AM
The tug of war between Queensland and Victoria as to who owns David Smerdon has been settled.

He returns to Brisbane on 3 January, then moves to Canberra in February to start working for Treasury

CameronD
13-12-2007, 12:38 AM
The tug of war between Queensland and Victoria as to who owns David Smerdon has been settled.

He returns to Brisbane on 3 January, then moves to Canberra in February to start working for Treasury

What tug of war?????

Dont people have better things to do with their lives

Trent Parker
13-12-2007, 01:08 AM
sorry to hear that egor!! :(

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Not sure how much I'll be online for the next week or so. Might be better to raise any mod issues with another mod during that time.

Spiny Norman
02-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I finally got into holiday mode today (although I've been on leave for nearly 2 weeks already), as I slept in until 8am, whereas I am normally up by 6am at the latest.

I'm going away to the beach for a few weeks, so will only be online if my wireless card can get a signal down there!

Rincewind
02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I finally got into holiday mode today (although I've been on leave for nearly 2 weeks already), as I slept in until 8am, whereas I am normally up by 6am at the latest.

I'm going away to the beach for a few weeks, so will only be online if my wireless card can get a signal down there!

Have fun. I'm likewise engaged for the next week, though I suspect a different beach is involved.

Good luck to those poor souls battling it out in the champs.

Capablanca-Fan
05-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I have to return to work mode on Monday :(

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I have to return to work mode on Monday :(

Yes it's been a good break (and being on holidays probably accounts for the 100 posts I've made in the past week including this one, about twice my career average), but I too must return to work mode tomorrow.

However I only have scheduled work until the end of January at present so there may well be another onslaught after that. :D

Adamski
19-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Since this is a pretty miscellaneous thread, and I don't yet know how to start a new thread (no doubt HGD can tell me), I'll use it to inform whoever might happen to read it that I expect to be off-line for the vast majority of the next 8 days. Reason: I've entered the 2008 Australia Day Weekender at Norths, NSW, and I need to do some preparation for the event!! (+ work for 8 hours each of Mon-Fri of course...).

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2008, 10:51 AM
To start a new thread, just click on the section you wish to post it in (eg "General Chess Chat") and click the "New Thread" button that appears in the top left-hand corner.

But in any case this thread is specifically for people who want to make posts like yours to say they will be offline (etc).

CameronD
23-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I wont be here from friday till tuesday as I wont have a computer during that period.

Kevin Bonham
28-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Offline Tuesday morning - Thursday night.

Spiny Norman
04-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm likely to be away for some time ... apologies to those with whom I am engaged in discussion ... I'll get back to it when I can, but I have a stack of interstate travel coming up, plus a lot of work piled up (at my day job, in my consulting business, and also at my chess club). See y'all soon I hope!

Rhubarb
05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm just going to go take a dump.

Could be 5 or 10 minutes ... depends.

Garrett
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
psml ! make sure the right bit comes back.

Kevin Bonham
06-03-2008, 05:01 PM
offline Friday evening til Monday night or Tuesday, also offline next weekend

Kevin Bonham
20-03-2008, 12:04 AM
May be only sporadically online over Easter.

Adamski
20-03-2008, 03:04 PM
May be only sporadically online over Easter.Ditto, but will definitely judge the photo caption contest! Some of the entries cause me to LOL. :lol:

Trent Parker
21-03-2008, 07:58 AM
ditto but probably be online at least for fifteen minutes each day to update my blog

Adamski
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Offline Thursday morning - Monday night. Off to Perth tomorrow for a friend's wedding.

Rincewind
09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Offline Thursday morning - Monday night. Off to Perth tomorrow for a friend's wedding.

I wonder how many weddings are going on in Perth this weekend. Is the groom in the RAAF?

Adamski
09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
I wonder how many weddings are going on in Perth this weekend. Is the groom in the RAAF?No, but we do hope to take in some dragon boat racing. Yes. lots on in Perth at the mo.

Rincewind
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
No, but we do hope to take in some dragon boat racing. Yes. lots on in Perth at the mo.

Well the answer is at least two. Have a good time!

Trent Parker
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Off to Dubbo this weekend!

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Offline Wednesday, Thursday, most of Friday.

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Offline Monday 6am til sometime Tuesday night.

Adamski
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
I shall be offline all weekend due to performing 4 times in a Gilbert & Sullivan "Best of" show at Collaroy Plateau in the NSW Northern Beaches- I am a baritone singer.

I imagine Gunner will be ofline this weekend too due to a certain wedding! He certainly should be!

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Expected dates of absence from forum:

23rd Dec afternoon to 27th Dec evening (may be online now and then during this time or may not)

5th Jan to 9th Jan - totally offline.

Capablanca-Fan
21-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm doubtful whether I can get online 5–9 Jan.

Garvinator
21-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm doubtful whether I can get online 5–9 Jan.
Some of us will be offline because of the ACF national conference for the dates you mention. So what is your excuse :whistle:

Spiny Norman
22-12-2008, 06:35 AM
I believe Jono has a conference to attend. Its down here in Victoria and it just so happens that I have booked a family holiday nearby ... so I am going to stop in at the conference for a few sessions ... and if Jono does his planned blindfold simul, I will help out by being his caller (if I am still needed).

Adamski
22-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I believe Jono has a conference to attend. Its down here in Victoria and it just so happens that I have booked a family holiday nearby ... so I am going to stop in at the conference for a few sessions ... and if Jono does his planned blindfold simul, I will help out by being his caller (if I am still needed).Good on you, Snail King. Jono's Blindfold simuls cannot happen without a competent caller. And I happen to know that you like me have done it before. Enjoy the CMI conf and the holiday. I won't be at the Conf as it clashes with a certain major chess event at Manly Leagues club.

Spiny Norman
01-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I may or may not be offline for the next couple of weeks, depending on whether I can get my mobile phone to give me a data connection down at Phillip Island, and also assuming I can coax my notebook into connecting to the phone via Bluetooth ...

ER
06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
jan is traditionally a very busy month, particularly the 2nd part of it. I 'll give the Forum a miss for a while, maybe Feb, March incl, although I 'd be dropping in for a shortish chat or post and/or checking PMS.
CAGLES

Kevin Bonham
23-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Going offline by about midday until Sunday evening.

Ian Murray
23-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Going offline by about midday until Sunday evening.
Good hunting!

Spiny Norman
23-01-2009, 03:25 PM
They shoot love darts at one another ... Cupid-style!

Adamski
19-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Folks, I am going away for a 29th wedding anniversary celebration weekend with my wife. Going to the Gold Coast. I will be offline until Tues lunchtime.

Adamski
28-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi all,
My wife has broken her foot in 4 places after tripping over a step after we attended an excellent classical music concert at the Sydney Opera House. She broke 4 bones and is very dependent on me to do basics. Also, my latest IT role has come to an end and I am seeking either a contract or permanent role. But the market is not great at the moment. The upshot of these 2 circumstances is that I am anticipating much reduced Ches chat participation for the next few weeks.:(

Basil
28-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi all,
My wife has broken her foot ... the upshot of these 2 circumstances is that I am anticipating much reduced Ches chat participation for the next few weeks.:(
Get well soon Mrs Adamski

ER
02-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi all,
My wife has broken her foot in 4 places after tripping over a step after we attended an excellent classical music concert at the Sydney Opera House. She broke 4 bones and is very dependent on me to do basics. Also, my latest IT role has come to an end and I am seeking either a contract or permanent role. But the market is not great at the moment. The upshot of these 2 circumstances is that I am anticipating much reduced Ches chat participation for the next few weeks.:(

Hi Jonathan
My best wishes to Mrs Adams for a speedy recovery and good luck with your employment issue. Did not respond to this earlier, since I hadn't noticed your posting!

ER
02-03-2009, 07:24 AM
thank God, some nonsensical comments from the forum's sickening scatologist were removed from here. I hope Jonathan and Mrs Adams did not see the content which btw was described as having perverse conotations by its author himself!

Adamski
02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks to Gunner, JaK and those who have PM'ed or emailed me (e.g. Snail King) for your good wishes. The specialist is happy with Deborah's progess.
I did not see that post JaK refers to and it sounds like that is a good thing. (Thanks mods for taking what sounds like appropriate action.)

Rincewind
02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks to Gunner, JaK and those who have PM'ed or emailed me (e.g. Snail King) for your good wishes. The specialist is happy with Deborah's progess.

Please add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I did not see that post JaK refers to and it sounds like that is a good thing. (Thanks mods for taking what sounds like appropriate action.)

To that poster's credit, he appears to have self-censored, possibly after reading JAK's comments.

ER
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
To that poster's credit, he appears to have self-censored, possibly after reading JAK's comments.

huge :clap: :clap: :clap: if he did, seems like there is hope after all, although for the time being I maintain my scepticism intact!

Igor_Goldenberg
02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
huge :clap: :clap: :clap: if he did, seems like there is hope after all, although for the time being I maintain my scepticism intact!
I share your scepticism.

Let me wish Mrs Adamski a speedy recovery and Mr Adamski good employment opportunities.

Adamski
02-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks to those others who have sent their good wishes. Timely as Deborah is having a difficult day today as pain kept her awake last night.

Kevin Bonham
05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Offline Friday 11 am to Monday evening or night.

Kevin Bonham
01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Offline Friday morning to Sunday late night this weekend.
Friday time unknown to Sunday time unknown next weekend.

It may amuse some to know that despite having been to all kinds of obscure and hard-to-reach corners of this state in the course of my fieldwork, I have never been to one of Tasmania's best known natural areas, Cradle Valley.

I will be rectifying that this weekend!

ER
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
ok break time! :)
Enough of financial crisis, professional and social obligations and generally all those insignificant obstacles that usually get (or try to get) in the way! :P
Short trip to Sydney before Doeberl, and maybe to NZ after Canberra! Ciao for now!

Trent Parker
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Tomorrow off for a job interview then down to Canberra for doeberl then probably be online tuesday before SIO

Garvinator
08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Will be in Bundaberg from tomorrow morning till Monday night.

antichrist
09-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Will be in Bundaberg from tomorrow morning till Monday night.

You can partly thank me for that - thanks accepted

eclectic
14-04-2009, 12:00 AM
away at SIO for this week back monday ...

antichrist
29-04-2009, 04:27 PM
called away to gamble on chess without getting my two bucks worth, will never forget

antichrist
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I just remember that I am supposed to be at a restaurant with a beautiful lady and I am dirty as well, blast all of you

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Offline Thursday lunchtime to Friday late night. Up to Devonport to run an interschool for 92 players, by myself except for the usual marshalling help from parents and coaches!

ER
07-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Offline Thursday lunchtime to Friday late night. Up to Devonport to run an interschool for 92 players, by myself except for the usual marshalling help from parents and coaches!
Good luck with that, I hope we 'll have some feedback on that tournament! 92 players!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Students might use this as a sound beginning for their preparation for the Tassie Aus Juniors Champ! Good luck to all!

Adamski
07-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Good luck with that, I hope we 'll have some feedback on that tournament! 92 players!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Students might use this as a sound beginning for their preparation for the Tassie Aus Juniors Champ! Good luck to all!Ditto from me, Kevin!

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2009, 03:38 AM
That sort of number's actually not unusual in our interschools. This one finished up with 85 showing up (45+40 in two tournaments). Joint state champ and multiple Burnie and state junior champ Alastair Dyer was held to a draw by Kevin Hendrey in a very even game; these two finished 6.5/7 =1st in the highschool division. Kevin's time management for rapids has improved. After years of playing for a small-town highschool team without sufficient player strength in the rest of the team to make the finals, Alastair is at a different school now and his team (Don College), which won the highschool today, must be a serious state title threat.