PDA

View Full Version : PIPE Brisbane

skip to my lou
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi,

The Chess Chat server is now located in PIPE's Brisbane datacenter, so the lag is minimal. The forum should be loading lightning fast now.

Spiny Norman
08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
The Chess Chat server is now located in PIPE's Brisbane datacenter, so the lag is minimal. The forum should be loading lightning fast now.

Interesting development STML .... I'm getting ~50ms pings now which seems about right.

Bill Gletsos
08-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Interesting development STML .... I'm getting ~50ms pings now which seems about right.I'm getting an average ping time of around 30ms.
Interestingly back at the end of January when STML got us to do a speed test you were averaging 353ms whilst I was averaging 238ms.

Spiny Norman
08-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm getting an average ping time of around 30ms.
Interestingly back when STML got us to do a speed test you were averaging 353ms whilst I was averaging 238ms.

Yep ... but I was on a modem dialup account at that time I think ... I've now got a 1500/256 ADSL VLAN connection into work here in Melbourne with a 6Mbit pipe from there to the 'Net.

Things are noticeably snappier now which is good. I average 18ms to my 'Net gateway, so that means its about another 30ms from Melb. to Bris.

Bill Gletsos
08-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Yep ... but I was on a modem dialup account at that time I think ... I've now got a 1500/256 ADSL VLAN connection into work here in Melbourne with a 6Mbit pipe from there to the 'Net.

Things are noticeably snappier now which is good. I average 18ms to my 'Net gateway, so that means its about another 30ms from Melb. to Bris.However I was on Optus cable back then and I'm still on Optus cable. Hence the improvement in my ping times would seem to be due to STML's movement of the board.

Spiny Norman
08-05-2005, 08:50 PM
However I was on Optus cable back then and I'm still on Optus cable. Hence the improvement in my ping times would seem to be due to STML's movement of the board.

Yep, seems so. I am guessing that he probably had it located in the USA previously??? If so, then that would account for 200ms+ of the difference I suppose.

skip to my lou
09-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, the previous server was a Dual Xeon, 2GB RAM, but that was overkill when I stopped developing chesslib on it.

Server will be taken down for hardware upgrade around 6PM sydney time

skip to my lou
12-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry for recent downtimes. Should be stable now.