PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants to be a Millionnaire

WhiteElephant
28-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Did anyone see Ken Telfer on WWTBAM on Monday? Don't know if he plays much chess these days but I remember playing him once at Doeberl as a junior and he was quite the ladies man with several eligible chess ladies hanging around watching his games.

Kaitlin
28-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I dont watch that show cause they take too long to say if they are right or not.

We could have a

~ "Where are they now" ~ .....thread

:ponder: hmmm or would that just turn into a rumours file... :idea: we could just have a

~ "Rumours File" ~

:cheeky:

Ian Rout
28-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Ken Telfer pretty much retired from chess around 1998, apart from one tournament a couple of years later.

I didn't see him on WWTBAM but had reports from mutual acquaintances.

Funny how the Gnome of Collingwood is the only millionaire on that show.

Kaitlin
28-04-2005, 04:15 PM
There an ad on tv for show now (i seen it like last week) where they say 'if something bad had happened to you write and and tell them all about it' and if its bad enough they will tell everyone about it and you can get to go on the show, thats like :whatthe: <- that another reason why i dont like it

WhiteElephant
28-04-2005, 04:21 PM
There an ad on tv for show now (i seen it like last week) where they say 'if something bad had happened to you write and and tell them all about it' and if its bad enough they will tell everyone about it and you can get to go on the show, thats like :whatthe: <- that another reason why i dont like it

Yeah that makes it sound like some sort of charity case rather than a test of intelligence (which it really isn't anyway). There was a guy on Millionnaire last week who had his house destroyed in a fire or something and Eddie was practically telling him the answers.

Sale of The Century, which is marginally better, returns in a couple of months. Whatever happened to MasterMind....

ElevatorEscapee
29-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes, I saw that episode, (and even mentioned it in the Shoutbox at the time it was on). Mr Telfer stumbled on a couple of questions early on that I thought were "easy", such as needing to "phone a friend" on a question about Morris Dancing.

In any case, I have seen several people I know and a couple I know through chess appear on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

The first was Darren Grindrod, (I think I once played him in the a first round at Ballarat). He was on the show during it's embryonic stages, and wanted to win money so he could take his family on a trip to Germany to meet a friend he had made there through playing correspondence chess.

If my memory serves me correctly, he wound up winning $16,000 which he seemed rather happy with. :)

The other chessplayer was a chap from S.A. (I think) who had gone over two nights. On the second week, there was a rather nice short introduction from his friends at his local chess club all sitting down at a long table playing against one another, then looking up at the camera, and wishing him luck.

In any case, I applaud the efforts of all who go on that show and risk public humiliation for lucre.

I wonder if the "phone a friend" idea can be adapted as a chess variant... ie chessplayers being given the option to "ask a friend" for a single move in a game, when faced with a particularly difficult position.

It could make for an interesting "tag team" style game, where two lower ranked players could each have a different higher ranked "friend" on standby. For one move in their game, they each have the option of instead of making a move themselves, having their higher ranked "friend" make the move they believe is best given their judgement of the position.

It could even provide a fun night at a club, with 10 or 15 minute time limits, and the "friends" (ie the higher ranked players) getting to mix on a slightly more social and less serious level with the lower ranked players.

Oepty
02-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Yes, I saw that episode, (and even mentioned it in the Shoutbox at the time it was on). Mr Telfer stumbled on a couple of questions early on that I thought were "easy", such as needing to "phone a friend" on a question about Morris Dancing.

In any case, I have seen several people I know and a couple I know through chess appear on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

The first was Darren Grindrod, (I think I once played him in the a first round at Ballarat). He was on the show during it's embryonic stages, and wanted to win money so he could take his family on a trip to Germany to meet a friend he had made there through playing correspondence chess.

If my memory serves me correctly, he wound up winning $16,000 which he seemed rather happy with. :)

The other chessplayer was a chap from S.A. (I think) who had gone over two nights. On the second week, there was a rather nice short introduction from his friends at his local chess club all sitting down at a long table playing against one another, then looking up at the camera, and wishing him luck.

In any case, I applaud the efforts of all who go on that show and risk public humiliation for lucre.

I wonder if the "phone a friend" idea can be adapted as a chess variant... ie chessplayers being given the option to "ask a friend" for a single move in a game, when faced with a particularly difficult position.

It could make for an interesting "tag team" style game, where two lower ranked players could each have a different higher ranked "friend" on standby. For one move in their game, they each have the option of instead of making a move themselves, having their higher ranked "friend" make the move they believe is best given their judgement of the position.

It could even provide a fun night at a club, with 10 or 15 minute time limits, and the "friends" (ie the higher ranked players) getting to mix on a slightly more social and less serious level with the lower ranked players.

The SA chess player was Kevin Sheldrick and the club protrayed was the Adelaide Uni Chess Club.
Scott

ElevatorEscapee
02-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Freddy, can you remember how well he did?

Kerry Stead
05-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks Freddy, can you remember how well he did?
He finished up with $32,000. Had a controversial question for $250,000 I think and phoned the uni guys who googled and came up with the 'wrong' answer. Something to do with where Cubism started from memory.

For people looking for a test of intellect, combined with a bit of humour, try the 'Einstein Factor' on the ABC ... Peter Berner is much funnier, and the questions are generally more difficult (people start with 15 questions in 90 seconds on their topic of choice). Prizes aren't as big, but its the ABC ... what can you expect!

Oepty
05-05-2005, 05:56 PM
The question was something like, Where did the field/art of XXX start? I don't think it was Cubism. Kevin rang Robin Wedding at Adel Uni who did have google up as well as a number of others from Adel Uni and one of Kevin's friends in his office. Apparently Robin's internet conection froze or something so they did not get the answer off the internet in time. I think they were a couple of seconds late. The wrongf answer came from Kevins friend who suggested it.
In the end for me this incident is not one I view happily as it ended a number of friendships and lead to alot of blaming of people which mostly, if not totally was a load of nonsense.
Anyway Kevin also appeared on The Weakest Link and he won an episode on another very short lived program that I can not remember the name of. Zbignew Zdziarski appeared on that show as well. He also won a fairly significant amount of money off an Adelaide radio station quiz after some controversy. I think he gave the correct answer to a question that they said was wrong. He then went to one of A Current Affair or Today Tonight and they paid up the money.
Dion might be able to give more detail.

pax
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey, I remember Ken Telfer from our beginner days at the (now defunct) Woden Chess Club (mid 80's). He learnt pretty quick for an old bloke.