PDA

View Full Version : Bitching about spelling and other things.

jenni
24-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Mischa's around - maybe she'll share some news (other than lollipop consumption).

Mischa
24-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Did you get what you needed jenni?

jenni
24-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Did you get what you needed jenni?
Aha - I was just about to go to bed! No - do you know who is in the first couple of places? How did James go today?

eclectic
24-04-2005, 10:46 PM
so jenni,

will there be a restricted priveleges area for yours truly should you become a 5 greenbutton general ?

;)

eclectic

jenni
24-04-2005, 10:47 PM
so jenni,

will there be a restricted priveleges area for yours truly should you become a 5 greenbutton general ?

;)

eclectic

I don't know - I am not quite sure how I got to 4. :uhoh:

Mischa
24-04-2005, 10:48 PM
james won his first game.
Lost to Zhi gen in second...but unlucky to do so...winning all the way I hear, then one mistake...both long games. Actually all his games have been long. all the juniors very tired.
Only 3 under 18's. mostlu ulnder 14 of which many are under 12
Chris Wallace was a bit lucky yesterday with both his wins....and very lucky against Derek Yu who blunderd from a winning position...chris does take a while. Chris lost today to.....? sorry i was in the canteen

Mischa
24-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Will try to remember some more in a minute

jenni
24-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Lost to Zhi gen in second...but unlicky to do so...winning all the way I hear, then one mistake...both long games. Actually all his games have been long. all the juniors very tired.
Chris Wallace was a bit llicky yesterday with both his wins....and very lucky against Derek Yu who blunderdfrom a winning position...chris does take a while. Chris lost today to.....?sorry i was in the canteen

Sounds like James is getting some really good experience - Zhigen is a talented player.

Thanks for the update - I will take myself off to bed now and read a book and wait patiently for results tomorrow. Sounds like Zhigen must be on 4 and either Dusan or Jing - nice to see Jing playing again.

Mischa
24-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Ok Jesse Jaegar won both his games...against Rueben and someone else?
this is hard as I was elsewhere.
Eugene lost to Chris Wallace but won first game...he said he was lucky to do so.
Rukman is in the lead I think...followed by Jesse? Dusan?
In the under 14's...zhi gen then James.
hard to know who is what age group.
Kerry you were doing the posting...where are you???

Mischa
24-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Sorry Jenni...they are under 18's and just disappear after games, and there is no real progress report that is on display...the kids write it in themselves if they remember....
I will remember more but will just confuse you I think....I was in the canteen and floating around. Some games went for so long I had to leave .

jenni
24-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Sorry Jenni...they are under 18's and just disappear after games, and there is no real progress report that is on display...the kids write it in themselves if they remember....
I will remember more but will just confuse you I think....I was in the canteen and floating around. Some games went for so long I had to leave .

Thanks for trying - I think it's great that the results are available so quickly!

I've just had a good look at them thanks to Starters posting.

NOTORIOUS
25-04-2005, 05:39 PM
I consider many of the posts made by "Mischa" on this thread to contain serious mistakes. I think you'll agree with me after reading everything below:

I had two...a red one and a green one.Little piggy me.
Thanks Davrim!!!!

Devrim, not Davrim. The first of many spelling mistakes.

Lost to Zhi gen in second...but unlucky to do so...winning all the way I hear, then one mistake...both long games. Actually all his games have been long. all the juniors very tired.
Chris Wallace was a bit lucky yesterday with both his wins....and very lucky against Derek Yu who blunderd from a winning position...chris does take a while. Chris lost today to.....? sorry i was in the canteen

Firstly, Zhi gen (which you spelt "Zhi gen" in another post as well) is Zhigen. Also, I have seen the game and don't think James was "winning all the way". I am sure that Zhigen was better for most of his game with James.
In the next half of your post, you call me Chris "Wallace", although my last name's spelling is "Wallis". Also, you said that Derek was winning in my game with him. However, I know that Derek was never winning. The whole game was boring, with neither side having a decisive advantage until Derek blundered, although for much of the game I had the advantage.

Ok Jesse Jaegar won both his games...against Rueben and someone else?
this is hard as I was elsewhere.
Eugene lost to Chris Wallace but won first game...he said he was lucky to do so.
Rukman is in the lead I think...followed by Jesse? Dusan?
In the under 14's...zhi gen then James.
hard to know who is what age group.
Kerry you were doing the posting...where are you???

"Reuben" should be "Reubban", "Wallace", of course, is "Wallis", "zhi gen" is "Zhigen", and "Jesse Jaeger" is "Jesse Jager".
It certainly is hard to tell who is in which age group, but I think that Zhigen is 1st in the Under 14s, with Derek Yu second, half a point ahead of James.
The name spellings are from the crosstable.
I will soon post my game with Derek. I hope somebody can post the Morris vs Lin game.

Bill Gletsos
25-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Arent you just some 14 year old kid who had the temerity to give Ian Rogers a verbal serve over in post http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=20798&postcount=112

Perhaps you should learn to show some respect to your elders and especially those whose contribution to Australian Chess is as significant as Ian's.

firegoat7
25-04-2005, 07:24 PM
I consider many of the posts made by "Mischa" on this thread to contain serious mistakes. I think you'll agree with me after reading everything below.

Ouch!, Thats gotta hurt. Are there any games for show people?

Cheers fg7

ursogr8
25-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Arent you just some 14 year old kid who had the temerity to give Ian Rogers a verbal serve over in post http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=20798&postcount=112

hi Bill

Help me a little bit here Bill. Are you suggesting that a 14 year-old can't get on the correct side of an issue and you expect an extremely experienced adult to be automatically on the right side of an issue?
That would be dangerous territory for you to defend given that there were experienced adults on both sides of the Mt B 1 and 2 ventures.
In fact NOTORIOUS's comments are quite similar to those of an experienced administrator I spoke to on the w/e.
NOTORIOUS appears to be a 14 year-old with an opinion. He is not automatically wrong.

Perhaps you should learn to show some respect to your elders and especially those whose contribution to Australian Chess is as significant as Ian's.

I don't know why you would start your sentence with 'perhaps' Bill. Not your usual style where you are so sure you are correct. My guess is you are trolling the kid.

Anyhow you sentence is irrelevant.
The kid has corrected noidea's spelling. That is all. You do not need to torpedo his credibility by dredging up an old post. Spelling is spelling Bill...it is not measured by anything to do with credibility. If the kid wants to correct noidea's spelling then she is quite capable of taking an appropriate course of action. Go and bully someone else Bill.

starter

firegoat7
25-04-2005, 08:02 PM
hi Bill

The kid has corrected noidea's spelling. That is all. You do not need to torpedo his credibility by dredging up an old post. Spelling is spelling Bill...it is not measured by anything to do with credibility. If the kid wants to correct noidea's spelling then she is quite capable of taking an appropriate course of action. Go and bully someone else Bill.

starter

Top post Starter!

Names are such personal things aren't they, ain't it strange that others name you and yet we wear that tag for our whole life, well generally speaking anyway.

Cheers fg7

StakesIsHigh
25-04-2005, 08:05 PM

I move that this post be stricken from the record, on account of it makes you come out as completely foolish not to mention crypto-fascist. The whole “Chris’s opinions don’t count because he’s only 14 should respect his elders” argument just makes YOU come off as juvenile. Perhaps you'd best get off your high horse, abandon your superiority complex, and stop condemning people because of their age. I note that you haven’t addressed any of his corrections to the mistakes and misconceptions noidea was spraying around. I think you’re just getting touchy on her behalf because you can’t spell either.

Incidentally, what does Ian think about your contribution to Australian chess? Isn’t he always complaining that you’ve wrecked the rating system?

Reubban

Rincewind
25-04-2005, 08:40 PM
I consider many of the posts made by "Mischa" on this thread to contain serious mistakes. I think you'll agree with me after reading everything below:

The spelling mistakes were fair enough but the post was without the cross tables at hand. Probably just the stories overheard from someone who was helping out in the canteen keeping the kiddies happy with refreshments. You admit that the win was as a result of a blunder from Derek, so the win was lucky but perhaps the comment that Derek was winning was not.

However, as it was a quick post unofficial post from a non-tournament administrator for the general knowledge of those on the board and not forming a part of any ChessVic ot ACF communication maybe you should just get a grip and a perspective. Spelling mistakes and small errors happen, your reaction does your reputation no favours. Then again given your chosen handle this is the reputation you want...

Bill Gletsos
25-04-2005, 08:45 PM
hi Bill

Help me a little bit here Bill. Are you suggesting that a 14 year-old can't get on the correct side of an issue and you expect an extremely experienced adult to be automatically on the right side of an issue?
That would be dangerous territory for you to defend given that there were experienced adults on both sides of the Mt B 1 and 2 ventures.
In fact NOTORIOUS's comments are quite similar to those of an experienced administrator I spoke to on the w/e.So what. Notorious seems to be questiong Ian's motives whithout any evidence to support it.

NOTORIOUS appears to be a 14 year-old with an opinion. He is not automatically wrong.Where did I mention whether he was right or wrong. I suggested he gave Ian an unwarranted serve.

I don't know why you would start your sentence with 'perhaps' Bill. Not your usual style where you are so sure you are correct. My guess is you are trolling the kid.Your guesses are always hopeless. I said perhaps because 'perhaps' face to face the kid is a polite kid.

Anyhow you sentence is irrelevant.
The kid has corrected noidea's spelling. That is all. You do not need to torpedo his credibility by dredging up an old post. Spelling is spelling Bill...it is not measured by anything to do with credibility. If the kid wants to correct noidea's spelling then she is quite capable of taking an appropriate course of action. Go and bully someone else Bill.The kid could have made his other points without pointing out everyone of her spelling errors.
However if you are going to defend correct spelling then perhaps you could get your mate Matt to at least spell Ralph Seberry's name correctly over on UCJ. It is not Sebry as he spells it a few times.

Bill Gletsos
25-04-2005, 09:09 PM
I move that this post be stricken from the record, on account of it makes you come out as completely foolish not to mention crypto-fascist.You sound like you have been talking to firegoat7. He seems to think KB is a facist too.

The whole “Chris’s opinions don’t count because he’s only 14 should respect his elders” argument just makes YOU come off as juvenile. Perhaps you'd best get off your high horse, abandon your superiority complex, and stop condemning people because of their age. I note that you haven’t addressed any of his corrections to the mistakes and misconceptions noidea was spraying around. I think you’re just getting touchy on her behalf because you can’t spell either.Ah another opininated Mexican junior.

Incidentally, what does Ian think about your contribution to Australian chess?I suspect he thinks my contribution is significantly greater than yours.

Isn’t he always complaining that you’ve wrecked the rating system?

ReubbanActually I think you will find he originally complained about the Glicko system back in March 2003. Not only have I spoken to Ian on numerous occasions since but also there has been a number of modifications to the rating system since then as well. The only complaint I recall he has made was that he didnt think I should have given him the 70 point uplift in March 2004. Of course if I'm wrong I'm sure Ian will email me and let me know.

jenni
25-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Good grief!! I am really sorry to have sparked what looks like World War 3, just because I was too impatient to wait for official results....

Poor Mischa was probably just repeating what people had told her. I can often recall times when my kids have told me they were winning until they blundered, even though analysis after the game proved otherwise..... A case of natural optimism I suppose.

We shall all have to watch our spelling and typing in future..... :)

Surferrosa
25-04-2005, 09:41 PM
The spelling mistakes were fair enough but the post was without the cross tables at hand. Probably just the stories overheard from someone who was helping out in the canteen keeping the kiddies happy with refreshments.
The spelling mistakes show a lack of respect for those in question.

Spelling mistakes and small errors happen, your reaction does your reputation no favours. Then again given your chosen handle this is the reputation you want...
Aren’t we overreacting a little here? Chris was simply correcting mischa’s mistakes, how is that considered ‘Notorious’? Why turn a spark into a bushfire?

Garvinator
25-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Hello notorious,

Are you Chris Wallis?

NOTORIOUS
25-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Hello notorious,

Are you Chris Wallis?

Obviously.

Rincewind
25-04-2005, 09:56 PM
The spelling mistakes show a lack of respect for those in question.

Grow up.

Aren’t we overreacting a little here? Chris was simply correcting mischa’s mistakes, how is that considered ‘Notorious’? Why turn a spark into a bushfire?

There is a way to correct mistakes in the context of which they were made and another to fly off the handle. If anyone lit this bushfire it was Chris.

ursogr8
25-04-2005, 09:57 PM
So what. Notorious seems to be questiong Ian's motives whithout any evidence to support it.

Bill
The words you originally used were temerity (of a 14 year-old) and serve; not evidence. Now this sliding defence would be easy to counter, but there is no need. The kid corrected some detail in noidea's post and it is irrelevant to dredge back into his past posts and raise a credibility issue on a topic that was controversial for adults too. Just admit to the irrelevance.

Where did I mention whether he was right or wrong. I suggested he gave Ian an unwarranted serve.
I am not going to debate the difference between 'unwarranted serve' and 'wrong'.
You can have that point if you must....but it is irrelevant...the kid doesn't need a past credibility to provide detail on results and spelling.

<snip>
The kid could have made his other points without pointing out everyone of her spelling errors.
This would not excuse your dredging up an old controversial post to bully him on a rather simple post of 'results and spelling'.

However if you are going to defend correct spelling then perhaps you could get your mate Matt to at least spell Ralph Seberry's name correctly over on UCJ. It is not Sebry as he spells it a few times.

Another try at diversion by you Bill. I am not defending spelling corrections. What I am saying is that you dredged up an old irrelevant post to bully a relatively new poster. Don't you want them on CC?

starter

ursogr8
25-04-2005, 10:02 PM
The spelling mistakes were fair enough but the post was without the cross tables at hand. Probably just the stories overheard from someone who was helping out in the canteen keeping the kiddies happy with refreshments. You admit that the win was as a result of a blunder from Derek, so the win was lucky but perhaps the comment that Derek was winning was not.

However, as it was a quick post unofficial post from a non-tournament administrator for the general knowledge of those on the board and not forming a part of any ChessVic ot ACF communication maybe you should just get a grip and a perspective. Spelling mistakes and small errors happen, your reaction does your reputation no favours. Then again given your chosen handle this is the reputation you want...

Baz

This is a fair enough post of yours. It describes noidea's positive contribution which we appreciate in many ways. And her attempt to give detail when little was at hand did not deserve to be criticised in the detail posted by NOTORIOUS.

starter

jenni
25-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Sorry I said anything at all

Its my fault - I asked for news and I should have just waited. :(

Mischa
25-04-2005, 10:14 PM
No not your fault honey

Mischa
25-04-2005, 10:35 PM
but I will be wary about posting again

ursogr8
25-04-2005, 10:40 PM

And if I note that your posting rate drops off then I will get you startered again. ;)

Keep up the good work Rowena. :clap:

starter

NOTORIOUS
25-04-2005, 10:44 PM

Well, my post was an unofficial post from a non-tournament administrator for the general knowledge of those on the board as well. I do not see why it should come in for such heavy criticism, since nobody has yet pointed out a specific mistake in it.

Bill Gletsos
25-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Another try at diversion by you Bill. I am not defending spelling corrections. What I am saying is that you dredged up an old irrelevant post to bully a relatively new poster. Don't you want them on CC?He isnt a relatively new poster at all. He first posted back in May last year. All he is is an infrequent poster.

arosar
25-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Picking on spelling was a bit of a cheap shot. Then Bill countering with a totally unrelated post was also a cheap shot. I call it even.

AR

Rincewind
25-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, my post was an unofficial post from a non-tournament administrator for the general knowledge of those on the board as well. I do not see why it should come in for such heavy criticism, since nobody has yet pointed out a specific mistake in it.

I pointed out a very specific comment with regards the style. Look I know your young and I'm willing to cut you some slack. But Mischa was volunteernig at Boxhill all weekend for the likes of you and was posting what she knew here for the benefit of others not to promote some secret agenda to assist James or disrespect anyone.

If you want to be taken seriously I think you are going to have to realise it isn't all about you. Hard at your age but it is a lesson which you will have to learn eventually.

firegoat7
25-04-2005, 11:40 PM

I will point out a specific mistake with your post. You are presuming that cultural words, ie names are automatically known by people. Consider the names Steven and Stephen. Why is it so easy to get these spellings wrong? It is because the same name can be expressed in the written form differently.

Now I agree it is a good idea to generally try and get somebodies name right. I believe that you are right to make a point about this. Where I think you have gone wrong Chris is that you are implicitly assuming that Mischa's actions deserve to be rebuked simply because you are right. While you may technically be correct, your approach lacked any empathy for Mischa's feelings. As such your future dealings with Mischa will now have some history.
There has never been a perfect human being and never will be, as such it is easy to make a mistake but harder to admit them.

cheers fg7

Davidflude
26-04-2005, 12:55 AM
That was the title of a very famous posting in the early days of the Internet.

The point needs to be made from time to time

Thunderspirit
26-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Some of what written on this tread is extremely disapointing. To go out on a personal attack for a few typing mistakes is not only pointless, but destructive. Chris Wallis' posts were very rude. Spelling mistakes don't show a lack of respect, just perhaps a lack of research. An apology should have been enough.

To be honest what concerns me, was the post that Bill that linked to a post that Chris had written about Ian Rogers. While Amiel thought it was cheap, I disagree it shows a lack of respect for a true icon of Australian chess. I not claiming that Ian's never wrong, of course not, but his tone shows a lack of respect. I've disagreed with Ian on a few issues over the years, but 1. I've always expressed my concerns to him directly, and secondly I've done it poliltely becuase Ian deserves that respect.

Chris just sounded like a aggorant, snotty nosed brat, and yes next time I see him I tell him too... (Unless he apoligizes, which I doubt...)

Rowena's your posts on the site are welcome. :clap: There are not enough women in Australian chess generally and though you don't play you do provide a different outlook to the game, that chess mums provide...

If there are spelling mistakes here, I apologize I must show disrepect... :crazy:

jenni
26-04-2005, 06:50 PM
If there are spelling mistakes here, I apologize I must show disrepect... :crazy:
Lee - it's riddled with spelling mistakes - but that's Ok - most of us are hopeless typists as well (especially when passions are high and we are pounding something out :) ).

Thunderspirit
26-04-2005, 07:03 PM
One of my favourite chess mums... sends me a life line...

Thx Jenni

StakesIsHigh
26-04-2005, 08:37 PM
at the risk of sending this thread off topic, i will reply to this here and see how far this discussion goes.

I think you're a bit too late with that one :P. I mean, wasn't this post supposed to be about the Vic Juniors? Seems as though you've all been successfully distracted.

What I did have a problem with from Reubban's post was that the first claim was racism, nothing more, nothing less.

How is what I said racist? I merely and incorrectly suggested that Bill was being racist. But how is suggesting that someone else is racist being racist yourself? :eh:

-Reubban, currently amused at the direction this 'Victorian JUNIOR Open 2005' thread is heading :whistle:

Surferrosa
26-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Chris just sounded like a aggorant, snotty nosed brat, and yes next time I see him I tell him too... (Unless he apoligizes, which I doubt...)
Chris is extremely well-behaved, and everyone at BHCC knows that. Your insult was rude, obnoxious, and unnecessary. Chris said nothing impolite in his post.

Yes, I know that we're onto another topic now, but Chris is a good kid, and I feel the need to defend him.

Recherché
26-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Chris is extremely well-behaved, and everyone at BHCC knows that.

Confirmed, from a BHCC player.

eclectic
26-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Chris is extremely well-behaved, and everyone at BHCC knows that. Your insult was rude, obnoxious, and unnecessary. Chris said nothing impolite in his post.

Yes, I know that we're onto another topic now, but Chris is a good kid, and I feel the need to defend him.

It's this type of sanctimonious prat club back slapping plus the patronising insensivitity of notorious (and no it doesn't deserve to be in capitals!) in "correcting" mischa's inconsequential etymological deviations which makes me wish we could press for RED DISREPUTATION buttons !! :evil:

:devious:

Recherché
26-04-2005, 10:22 PM
It's this type of sanctimonious prat club back slapping plus the patronising insensivitity of notorious (and no it doesn't deserve to be in capitals!) in "correcting" mischa's inconsequential etymological deviations which makes me wish we could press for RED DISREPUTATION buttons !! :evil:

Chris was correcting Mischa's claim that both his wins had been lucky, with the possible implication of "undeserved". The comments about the spelling of the names were merely an attempt (you can argue about whether it was fair or justified) to reinforce his point about the erroneous nature of the post he was correcting.

Dev
26-04-2005, 10:39 PM

The following is an analysis of the persuasive (or attempted persuasive) techniques used in eclaires gargantuanly shambolic response to a polite and well meaning message.

This post begins with the word sanctimonious, meaning holy. While on the surface this may seem impressive, more intelligent viewers soon realise the word has been badly misused. Eclectic goes on to use the words patronising insensitivity and notorious correctly, however closer insepction shows that the sentence is really making no sense. How is holy talk in a chess club that adds to the "patronising insensitivety" make sense? The only correct persuasive technique used in this second grade attempt to sound intelligent is the INCREDIBLY amusing pun on notorious's name. I dno bout u ppl but wen i read that i was on the floor laughing. :clap: congratulations eclectic u sound like a tool!

Devrim

Recherché
26-04-2005, 11:07 PM
The following is an analysis of the persuasive (or attempted persuasive) techniques used in eclaires gargantuanly shambolic response to a polite and well meaning message.

This post begins with the word sanctimonious, meaning holy. While on the surface this may seem impressive, more intelligent viewers soon realise the word has been badly misused. Eclectic goes on to use the words patronising insensitivity and notorious correctly, however closer insepction shows that the sentence is really making no sense. How is holy talk in a chess club that adds to the "patronising insensitivety" make sense? The only correct persuasive technique used in this second grade attempt to sound intelligent is the INCREDIBLY amusing pun on notorious's name. I dno bout u ppl but wen i read that i was on the floor laughing. :clap: congratulations eclectic u sound like a tool!

Devrim

If it's post dissecting we're at, you missed the misuse of the word "etymological", which refers to the origin and evolution of words, not their spelling.

On a side note, "disreputation" doesn't really sound like it should be a word, but it is. :D

jenni
26-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Nice work Jenni, this thread is now positively svelte. :)

I wouldn't say it was rubbish though. Certainly not all of it.

The problem is what did it do that was constructive and how much harm did it do?

We now have a whole new set of people to feel hurt and carry grudges into the future. One of the things I have learnt in chess is for how many years grudges can fester....

firegoat7
26-04-2005, 11:19 PM

propaganda with adjectives

This post begins with the word sanctimonious, meaning holy.

Lets stop the post here.

Before we talk for anybody else we really ought to understand what they meant by a word. We ought to never define words for them. If we define words for others we abstract their thoughts. This is the same as saying we know what they meant. Unfortunately, communication does not work like that, it is not like mathematics.

I would interpret sanctamonious in this context as meaning ' false reverence', maybe electric can clarify its meaning for us.

Cheers fg7

[/QUOTE]

Thunderspirit
26-04-2005, 11:23 PM
I don't know Chris well enough to say if he's nice or not. He was fine at the juniors, but his tone on this post was wrong as he got what he deserved.

Recherché
26-04-2005, 11:29 PM
The problem is what did it do that was constructive and how much harm did it do?

Both of those are, I think, difficult to judge. However I feel the debate about "respecting your elders", and the implications and perspectives on that phrase is definitely worthwhile.

Arguments about spelling and so on are perhaps less defensible (it's something I usually try to avoid myself, despite my inner proof-reader screaming for attention :D); however they came attached to a discussion about personal behaviour which may have had some constructive elements.

I really don't think inflammatory comments such as the one posted by Bill that really got the ball rolling on all this can be let stand unchallenged though, unless we can rely on them to be removed by a moderator (which is not current forum policy, nor something I would particularly advocate - the line is very hard to draw).

Personally I think Chris had a right to feel a bit aggrieved about Mischa's comments (which were, after all, pretty unflattering towards him and Zhigen), and to correct them. As has been pointed out, it could have been done a little more tactfully, but if you read the actual post there's nothing particularly rude about it. The lack of tact is rather in the itemization of every small error, and the fact there was no acknowledgement that her mistakes were not necessarily intentional (and that positional assessment is a difficult and relatively subjective thing to do).

When I first read the posts, I just assumed she was more or less repeating what James had said, combined with what she could remember of the results, and I took her comments with a grain of salt. Under those circumstances I think she deserves some slack, but equally Chris can't necessarily rely on everyone who would read them knowing that they aren't necessarily accurate, and people should always have the opportunity to correct printed errors that reference them personally.

One of the things I have learnt in chess is for how many years grudges can fester....
Unfortunately that's not something specific to chess. :/

arosar
26-04-2005, 11:32 PM

Lets stop the post here.

Before we talk for anybody else we really ought to understand what they meant by a word. We ought to never define words for them. If we define words for others we abstract their thoughts. This is the same as saying we know what they meant. Unfortunately, communication does not work like that, it is not like mathematics.

I would interpret sanctamonious in this context as meaning ' false reverence', maybe electric can clarify its meaning for us.

Cheers fg7

fg7, you seem to be the expert on such matters. Is 'gargantualy' a word? If it were a legit adjective, what do you make of 'gargantualy shambolic'?

AR

Recherché
26-04-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't know Chris well enough to say if he's nice or not. He was fine at the juniors, but his tone on this post was wrong as he got what he deserved.

I think the reaction from Bill (and indeed, from you) is disproportionate to the "offence" - reference my post above. Both of you were much ruder than Chris. Not simply in tone but also more starkly in your language.

Thunderspirit
26-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I think the reaction from Bill (and indeed, from you) is disproportionate to the "offence" - reference my post above. Both of you were much ruder than Chris. Not simply in tone but also more starkly in your language.

No teenage kid has the right to address Ian in that manner... Bill was right, I support him 100% on this one...

Surferrosa
26-04-2005, 11:39 PM
No teenage kid has the right to address Ian in that manner... Bill was right, I support him 100% on this one...
But this has nothing to do with the matter at hand! :rolleyes:

Bill Gletsos
26-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I think the reaction from Bill (and indeed, from you) is disproportionate to the "offence" - reference my post above. Both of you were much ruder than Chris. Not simply in tone but also more starkly in your language.Thats because we are older and hence more experienced. :owned:

Recherché
26-04-2005, 11:40 PM

This is true, but only up to a point. Communication is reliant upon common and agreed meanings of words. If everyone is free to self-define what any word means, suddenly nobody is even speaking the same language (assuming they choose to exercise that freedom).

No official definition of sanctimonious really fits at all the use that eclectic made of the word, however in his defense, the word is misused often enough that it was still more or less clear what he meant (to me, anyway, though the sentence was poorly constructed, difficult to read, and needlessly verbose, which I think was Devrim's basic point).

eclectic
26-04-2005, 11:40 PM

Lets stop the post here.

Cheers fg7

[/QUOTE]

I HAVE PM'd YOU FIREGOAT

Thanks

eclectic

Recherché
26-04-2005, 11:45 PM
fg7, you seem to be the expert on such matters. Is 'gargantualy' a word? If it were a legit adjective, what do you make of 'gargantualy shambolic'?

It's gargantuanly, misspelled, and it is a word. Think "hugely". Shambolic means disorderly or chaotic, and is also a word. So one would make "very chaotic" out of it, only with the implication of a degree of chaos that exceeds "very". In short, the phrase works fine. It is a little clumsy, but I'm pretty sure that was the intention. It was a take-off.

arosar
26-04-2005, 11:50 PM

I'm not sure that it has to with some 'right'. Now while I agree that CW deserved to be chastised, I don't think citing some old post about a completely different matter was the correct course of action. It struck me as just bullying.

If the intent was to demonstrate a pattern, it doesn't work either. I believe CW has only had maybe less than a dozen posts?

But you're right: he came across has snotty. I played him in blitz. He was nice. Let's forgive him. I'm sure if he pays more attention to me than Reshursh, he will surely learn more of our culture - Pinoy and Italian.

AR

firegoat7
26-04-2005, 11:51 PM
This is true, but only up to a point. Communication is reliant upon common and agreed meanings of words. If everyone is free to self-define what any word means, suddenly nobody is even speaking the same language (assuming they choose to exercise that freedom).

Welcome to society, I am actually of the opinion that this is true. I believe it takes a long time communicating with other people to actually realise what 'others' are talking about. We take words and meanings for granted, we never even stop to consider that everybodies life is subjectively experienced and that literally means there can be no guarantee that you understand anything that somebody else is talking about.

No official definition of sanctimonious really fits at all the use that eclectic made of the word, however in his defense, the word is misused often enough that it was still more or less clear what he meant (to me, anyway, though the sentence was poorly constructed, difficult to read, and needlessly verbose, which I think was Devrim's basic point).

If your not sure ask Eclectic the meaning.

Sturkens
26-04-2005, 11:59 PM
The problem is what did it do that was constructive and how much harm did it do? We now have a whole new set of people to feel hurt and carry grudges into the future. One of the things I have learnt in chess is for how many years grudges can fester...

Like you're such a saint. Look at the way you reacted to WiseOldMan's ravings about one of your precious ACT juniors, which were no worse than the stuff Mischa regularly coughs up. At least your kid really did break a rule when WiseOldMan accused him of cheating, which is more than Rengan did when Mischa accused him of cheating.

firegoat7
27-04-2005, 12:00 AM

AR

Sorry AR, I am no expert on words. I will give it a go though. I think its probably made up, but that's fine by me, it shows creativity. If I was using it as an adjective I would have written it as 'gargantuanly'- but its Dev's word so let him clarify its meaning.

cheers Fg7

Recherché
27-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Thats because we are older and hence more experienced. :owned:

Experience at being rude isn't, by most standards, something to be proud of.

He was addressing Firegoat, not Ian personally, though he was referring to Ian. What is your specific problem with his post, by the way?

I see these problems:

1. It's in all caps, which is seen by some people online as SHOUTING. We do not know if Chris was aware of this at the time.

and

2. Some speculation about Ian's reasoning which is more or less unsubstantiated.

On the redeeming features side of things we have:

1. Factually accurate. (The aforementioned speculation is not presented as fact.)

2. Polite language. Actually read it, hmm? If you make it all lower case suddenly it's not at all rude.

3. The post was made at a time when suddenly Victoria's (ie. Chris') home Aus Junior Championships were about to be hijacked and dragged off to somewhere which, while technically in Victoria, is more expensive than Canberra to attend. In this situation a player in said championship is more than entitled to have strong views about the situation.

4. Hindsight has shown us that there are indeed, and were, significant drawbacks to the Mt Buller bid. Read: Ian really was wrong, to at least some degree.

So, perhaps you could explain to me exactly what is so reprehensible about the post? If that post had been lower case and from an adult you wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Because it was from a teenager suddenly you feel you have free reign to dismiss it and call him things like "snotty nosed brat". If I were Chris I'd want an apology, especially from you, Lee.

Recherché
27-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Welcome to society, I am actually of the opinion that this is true. I believe it takes a long time communicating with other people to actually realise what 'others' are talking about. We take words and meanings for granted, we never even stop to consider that everybodies life is subjectively experienced and that literally means there can be no guarantee that you understand anything that somebody else is talking about.

See my signature line! ;)

("we have between us the barrier of a common language"; for future reference for readers of this post should it change)

If your not sure ask Eclectic the meaning.

Well, as I said, I was able to grasp his meaning. :)

Recherché
27-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I'm sure if he pays more attention to me than Reshursh, he will surely learn more of our culture - Pinoy and Italian.
Ha, what makes you think he pays any attention to me? :D We play at the same club, but I wouldn't really say we knew each other.

The only times I can recall playing Chris were once in a club game back in 2003 (he smashed my Petroff Defense without much trouble) and once in a friendly game after the last round of the 2003 Victorian Championships, in which my French Defense quickly succumbed to a "known" mating trap after not many moves. Possibly there were a couple of other allegro games, but I can't really remember. These days, despite my improvements, the gap in our playing standards is even wider.

Bill Gletsos
27-04-2005, 12:24 AM
He was addressing Firegoat, not Ian personally, though he was referring to Ian. What is your specific problem with his post, by the way?

I see these problems:

1. It's in all caps, which is seen by some people online as SHOUTING. We do not know if Chris was aware of this at the time.

and

2. Some speculation about Ian's reasoning which is more or less unsubstantiated.

On the redeeming features side of things we have:

1. Factually accurate. (The aforementioned speculation is not presented as fact.)

2. Polite language. Actually read it, hmm? If you make it all lower case suddenly it's not at all rude.

3. The post was made at a time when suddenly Victoria's (ie. Chris') home Aus Junior Championships were about to be hijacked and dragged off to somewhere which, while technically in Victoria, is more expensive than Canberra to attend. In this situation a player in said championship is more than entitled to have strong views about the situation.Thats rubbish.
His 'home' championships were not suddenly about to be hijacked at all. They had been scheduled to be in Mt Buller since early January.
As such Chris knew they were planned for Mt. Buller for months, yet his post is in July.

4. Hindsight has shown us that there are indeed, and were, significant drawbacks to the Mt Buller bid. Read: Ian really was wrong, to at least some degree.

So, perhaps you could explain to me exactly what is so reprehensible about the post? If that post had been lower case and from an adult you wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Because it was from a teenager suddenly you feel you have free reign to dismiss it and call him things like "snotty nosed brat". If I were Chris I'd want an apology, especially from you, Lee.
He basically says he doesnt believe Ian. His tone is one of disrespect for Ian.

Trent Parker
27-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Hello Notorious et. al.

Quoting Notorious

I consider many of the posts made by "Mischa" on this thread to contain serious mistakes.
Spelling mistakes will be made. We are not perfect.... So Are Mischa's mistakes serious? No. I don't think so. It will not maime or kill you.

I think Rincewind has hit this one on the head:

However, as it was a quick post unofficial post from a non-tournament administrator for the general knowledge of those on the board and not forming a part of any ChessVic ot ACF communication.

By all means point out the mistakes but i think ranting on about the spelling mistakes is a little over the top. After all the crosstables and results do normally get posted here anyway, so it would be clear who Mischa was talking about.

I know that it may be frustrating that people get the name wrong but it is not serious, it will not cost you or them anything.

My sister's name is Kirbie. Now, my sister is a very active person, during her life she has had many hobbies: Netball (indoor and outdoor, gymnastics, tennis, Jazz dancing, tap dancing (at a very young age) as well as school sports. Wait... i'm getting to the point now.....She did quite well in alot of these areas and had trophies and certificates from these activities..... which had the spelling Kirby So this is why i know that, yes a person getting a name wrong is frustrating but it is not serious.

I think it would also be advisable to use a polite tone in your posts. A lot of the people here do a lot for chess in this country and they put up with enough S**t without having to deal with complaints of superficial errors of spelling in posts which are not in an official context.

Misha was providing a service. Sure it had spelling mistakes but she was providing a service none the less. She does not have to post here but did so to provide Jenni (and the wider chess community) of some small details.

I would imagine that Chess Parents like Mischa do a heck of a lot for Junior chess in victoria as in other states. Just for this reason alone these people should be shown full respect because if these people walk away from junior chess there may be the possibility that juniors miss out on having junior tournaments run.

Mischa I'm sure most people are grateful for your tidbits of information.... Dont let those few stop you....

Recherché
27-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Thats rubbish.
His 'home' championships were not suddenly about to be hijacked at all. They had been scheduled to be in Mt Buller since early January.
As such Chris knew they were planned for Mt. Buller for months, yet his post is in July.

At the time of his posting, Chess Victoria was trying to host the Australian Junior Championships in Melbourne, and the ACF was trying to take them away and hold them with the reconstituted Aus Open at Buller (which, in the end, they did). His post is also critical of the original Mt Buller proposal. So yes, they were about to be hijacked.

He basically says he doesnt believe Ian. His tone is one of disrespect for Ian.

He didn't accuse Ian of lying. He suggested he wasn't as well qualified to make judgements on the issue as other people.

Leaving the capitals aside, could you specifically identify where his tone is disrespectful? Or are you trying to say that suggesting Ian might be wrong or ill-informed on an issue is disrespectful in itself?

Bill Gletsos
27-04-2005, 01:16 AM
At the time of his posting, Chess Victoria was trying to host the Australian Junior Championships in Melbourne, and the ACF was trying to take them away and hold them with the reconstituted Aus Open at Buller (which, in the end, they did). His post is also critical of the original Mt Buller proposal. So yes, they were about to be hijacked.
Irrelevant. They had been scheduled to be held in Mt Buller for months yet he only posts to criticse Ian.

He didn't accuse Ian of lying. He suggested he wasn't as well qualified to make judgements on the issue as other people.fg7 said he didnt doubt Ian's view of the situation.
Chris said he did doubt Ian.
Essentially he is saying he doesnt believe Ian.

Leaving the capitals aside, could you specifically identify where his tone is disrespectful? Or are you trying to say that suggesting Ian might be wrong or ill-informed on an issue is disrespectful in itself?His last paragraph. He has no basis to make his assumptions.
By making them he casts aspertions on Ian's motives.
I call that disrespectful.

Recherché
27-04-2005, 10:02 AM
fg7 said he didnt doubt Ian's view of the situation.
Chris said he did doubt Ian.
Essentially he is saying he doesnt believe Ian.

No, he's saying he doubts Ian's opinion/judgement on the issue. You're trying to make it sound like he implied he was lying, which did not happen.

What is wrong with doubting Ian's opinion/judgement?

His last paragraph. He has no basis to make his assumptions. By making them he casts aspertions on Ian's motives. I call that disrespectful.

On his reasoning, not his motives. And I already pointed that out in my analysis of the good points and bad points in his post.

I stand by my assertion that Chris was nowhere near as disrespectful as you and Lee have tried to suggest, and moreover that you and Lee have been highly disrespectful to Chris, and that your double-standard here is one you should both be ashamed of.

antichrist
27-04-2005, 10:07 AM
No, he's saying he doubts Ian's opinion/judgement on the issue. You're trying to make it sound like he implied he was lying, which did not happen.

What is wrong with doubting Ian's opinion/judgement?

On his reasoning, not his motives. And I already pointed that out in my analysis of the good points and bad points in his post.

I stand by my assertion that Chris was nowhere near as disrespectful as you and Lee have tried to suggest, and moreover that you and Lee have been highly disrespectful to Chris, and that your double-standard here is one you should both be ashamed of.

hear hear, and they both have form, whereas I am as pure and white as the driven snow

Recherché
27-04-2005, 11:08 AM
^ You're worse.

jenni
27-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Like you're such a saint. Look at the way you reacted to WiseOldMan's ravings about one of your precious ACT juniors, which were no worse than the stuff Mischa regularly coughs up. At least your kid really did break a rule when WiseOldMan accused him of cheating, which is more than Rengan did when Mischa accused him of cheating.

The difference is that Mischa didn't accuse anyone of cheating (unless you are privy to info which is not on the BB?)....

She made some statements in the desire to please people who were impatiently seeking results. That her statements were incorrect I have no problems with and I have no problems with them being corrected. If it had been left at that it would have been fine. She has said she was sorry she put anything up, she has made no attempt to justify anything she put up as being correct.

Wiseman continued to attack a person as a cheat - while those attacks continued, I would (and will) continue to defend someone who did not cheat, only unwittingly broke a rule.

If you feel those attacks and counterattacks over some mistaken comments which have been apologised for, are productive and promoting chess, then I regret we must differ on what is useful in chess.

Probably the one thing that you and I agree on is that my ACT Juniors are precious to me. :)

Libby
27-04-2005, 12:49 PM

Obviously our "ravings" (as a fellow rave-ee) were over the top and irrational. Silly old women as we are, we do get a bit steamed up when people , not only make such accusations, but want to resurrect them almost a whole year later. I think we thought things had moved on.

The best and most progressive aspect of Australian chess must be this elephant-like appreciation of the history of our game. People never want to forget anything - especially something which can be used to drag down another :whistle:

PS I won't speak for the other "mummys" on this board but I will say that I am not a chess player and I know very little - in any true tactical sense - about the game. If someone asks my opinion of a game at a tournament (as the misguided often do), I will give my assessment (mostly based on counting the pieces). This is done because I have been asked a question and I make the judgement I am able to make and usually for the consumption of equally ignorant adults. I don't think any serious chess player would ask or seek my opinion. My daughter is often "losing" (in my piece-count estimation) because I HAVE NO IDEA.

If we regard some on this posting in the context of who the "post-ers" are (and they are not hiding behind their cloak on anonymity) then those remarks should be able to be read as coming from a "mummy" and not from a GM. I doubt anyone's chess reputation will suffer if a "mummy" makes a blunder.

I guess we could be gagged from such comment. I'll borrow the gag that should be used by all casual observers of a football game who similarly offer comment on how their side was robbed of victory?

jenni
27-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Both of those are, I think, difficult to judge. However I feel the debate about "respecting your elders", and the implications and perspectives on that phrase is definitely worthwhile.

Arguments about spelling and so on are perhaps less defensible (it's something I usually try to avoid myself, despite my inner proof-reader screaming for attention :D); however they came attached to a discussion about personal behaviour which may have had some constructive elements.

I really don't think inflammatory comments such as the one posted by Bill that really got the ball rolling on all this can be let stand unchallenged though, unless we can rely on them to be removed by a moderator (which is not current forum policy, nor something I would particularly advocate - the line is very hard to draw).

Personally I think Chris had a right to feel a bit aggrieved about Mischa's comments (which were, after all, pretty unflattering towards him and Zhigen), and to correct them. As has been pointed out, it could have been done a little more tactfully, but if you read the actual post there's nothing particularly rude about it. The lack of tact is rather in the itemization of every small error, and the fact there was no acknowledgement that her mistakes were not necessarily intentional (and that positional assessment is a difficult and relatively subjective thing to do).

When I first read the posts, I just assumed she was more or less repeating what James had said, combined with what she could remember of the results, and I took her comments with a grain of salt. Under those circumstances I think she deserves some slack, but equally Chris can't necessarily rely on everyone who would read them knowing that they aren't necessarily accurate, and people should always have the opportunity to correct printed errors that reference them personally.

Unfortunately that's not something specific to chess. :/

I didn't have any problems with the elders debate - it was interesting and amusing. However it didn't belong in a chess thread. I do have a lot of problems with the ongoing hysteria over some remarks by Mischa. I didn't have a problem with Chris' rebuttal. It could have been handled better, but he is young and you learn as you go. However with Bill, Lee etc all getting in on the act and Chris' supporters there to defend him, it was only polluting what is supposed to be a discussion on an important junior thread.

I am also aware of all the undercurrents here, which you may or may not be. We are seeing the tip of a very large iceberg, where there are already grudges going back a year or more between the warring parties.

I do find it sad.

Sturkens has attacked me in another post about my arguement with WiseMan. The difference is that Wiseman and I communicated privately. We still continue to hold our own points of view on the incident, but I do not believe we hold any bad feelings towards each other and both of us went out of our way to greet each other and talk to each other at Doeberl.

As one of those aged people who demand respect, I have seen a lot of stuff in life and in various arenas. I have never seen the level of grudge holding that you see in Chess in anything else. Maybe Chess people are brighter and have better memories. :)

Rincewind
27-04-2005, 01:26 PM
I think the whole affair has been a sorry one and could have been best avoided with a little tact initially. I thought it had died a death until Jenni split the thread and I think posters got the idea that posting their opinions in here was to be encouraged. I think Fludey hit the nail on the head regarding spelling flame wars. As long as we try to spell to the best of our ability we should take Frosty's advice and extend some grace to each other when the spelling fails. (My personal opinion is BB posts are to be treaded as unedited text and some spelling mistakes are to be expected).

I hope this thread can be closed and locked in short order to prevent further injury to any of the parties involved.

One final comment to the organisers of the Vic Junior's 05: Do you realise you have misspelt Master Wallis' name on the cross-table, round by round draws? I believe it is "Christopher" not "Christhopher".

Further posting in this thread is discouraged unless you have an issue which is new, pertinant and important. Thanks for your assistance.

Libby
27-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Spelling is just one part of the hurdle. Having called out so many pairings at junior events I am still stumped by many a pronunciation. I just apologise in advance and attempt to achieve at least one correct pronunciation by the end of the day.

My youngest is "Aislinn" - which can neither be spelt, nor pronounced, by most. I give myself the odd :doh: for choosing it but try not to spit the dummy if someone has it wrong (except family, she is nearly 7 and I do expect the relos to have it right by now).

arosar
27-04-2005, 01:54 PM
As long as we try to spell to the best of our ability we should take Frosty's advice and extend some grace to each other when the spelling fails.

That's right. Picking on spelling is sooo cheap! That's why . . . oh never mind.

Should we have like a group hug now?

AR

WhiteElephant
27-04-2005, 01:54 PM
To anyone who has a problem with people who cannot spell:

Here is some advice. Hope it helps.

First of all, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who cannot abide poor spelling as much as I do. I Loathe it! I Detest it! It used to drive me nuts when I saw poor spelling (and don't even get me started on grammar) in magazines, advertisements, official letters. I needed to find a solution to my problem or I would go insane.

It turned out that all I needed was a change of perspectve. Rather than get angry at people who cannot spell, I realised that those people have not had the education that I have had. Now I quite like to see poor spelling because it makes me feel better about myself and I am glad I can see the mistakes to which some people are completely oblivious :)

I recommend this method to anyone with the same problem.

W.E.

Bill Gletsos
27-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I'll borrow the gag that should be used by all casual observers of a football game who similarly offer comment on how their side was robbed of victory?Yes, but they normally blame it on the umpire. ;)

Bill Gletsos
27-04-2005, 02:29 PM
One final comment to the organisers of the Vic Junior's 05: Do you realise you have misspelt Master Wallis' name on the cross-table, round by round draws? I believe it is "Christopher" not "Christhopher".I had noticed that also. Obviously Chris spent more effort on reading Micha's post than on reading the events round by round draws or crosstable or he would have no doubt informed the arbiter of the spelling mistake by now.

I note his name is spelt correctly on the ACF master file therefore it would seem the organisers did not import from the ACF master. I really dont know why people do this as it only adds work for the State Ratings Officers as they have to then manually input the player id numbers.

Libby
27-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, but they normally blame it on the umpire. ;)

Ah yes, but may also blame the coach, the selectors, the dud forward, the flu, the state of the ground, the placement of the goalposts ...

jenni
27-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I thought it had died a death until Jenni split the thread

Not true - I split it because of posts 42, 43, 45 which happened quite late (by my terms) last night. It looked like it was drifting back to nasty attacks and defences, so I split it to at least get it where it belonged and not in a chess thread.

I have closed the thread - if you want to open it be my guest.

Rincewind
27-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Not true - I split it because of posts 42, 43, 45 which happened quite late (by my terms) last night. It looked like it was drifting back to nasty attacks and defences, so I split it to at least get it where it belonged and not in a chess thread.

Mileage varies but I think non-chess threads people are more inclined to post for posting's sake. I didn't mean to sound critical of your moderation decisions, which are invariably judicious.

I have closed the thread - if you want to open it be my guest.

I'm very happy to leave it closed. Thanks.