PDA

View Full Version : This is the 2000th thread! (And trivia!)

Alan Shore
20-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Just for you starter ;)

Threads: 2,000, Posts: 51,710, Members: 804

It's funny, my number of posts always seem to be very close to the number of threads.. it was higher around the 1,900 mark but then I had some uni work to attend to, plus correspondence purge.

We can make this into a trivia thread I suppose. Easy ones to begin with.

Who is the star playing the role of Robert Langdon in the upcoming film 'The Da Vinci Code?'

Who captained Carlton to their 1987 Grand Final win?

Who was the first man in space?

jase
20-04-2005, 04:30 PM
1. Tom fu**ing Hanks. Look, Tom is great in flims with a lighter narrative, and good otherwise, but he's no Robert Langdon. I watched Road to Perdition on tv the other night, in which Hanks is the lead, and he was quite good, but Hanks is no gangster, and the film fell short of excellence in part because of this odd casting.

The film warrants a star in the leading role, so who would fit the bill if not Hanks? Robert Redford would have been awesome 10-15 years ago, but he's too old now. Jude Law & Ethan Hawke are too young. Ed Norton is a possibility, though he's only 35 which counts against him. Harrison Ford fits the bill, and he still had charisma in What Lies Beneath, a 2000 release, but he'se over 60 now so it's a stretch, I concede. I love Johnny Depp, and he did EM Barry wonderfully in Finding Neverland. He has all the goods for the role, although whilst he's over 40 now, he still looks 30.

Finally after half an hour of 'surely there's got to be a better casting than Hanks', it's hit me like a lightbulb: George Clooney. Done. Perfect.

Jean Reno is awesome casting, and Audrey Tautou is, well, interesting. All right, moving on ...

2. I think Sticks Kernahan was captain of Carlton by then.

3. Gagarin, depending on your definition of space. Hot air balloonists were hitting altitudes of almost 20km in the 1930s.

jase
20-04-2005, 04:55 PM
And now three questions for you [if these seem a little obscure, it's because I've tried to come up with questions that aren't easily googled]:

1. Name the 10 common parts of the body that have just 3 letters. No slang. [eg Gut, Bum, and Tits won't fly here]

2. Identify the next three letters in this sequence O T F S N E _ _ _

3. What was the name of Hamlet's father?

shaun
20-04-2005, 06:48 PM
1. Tom fu**ing Hanks. Look, Tom is great in flims with a lighter narrative, and good otherwise, but he's no Robert Langdon. I watched Road to Perdition on tv the other night, in which Hanks is the lead, and he was quite good, but Hanks is no gangster, and the film fell short of excellence in part because of this odd casting.

The film warrants a star in the leading role, so who would fit the bill if not Hanks? Robert Redford would have been awesome 10-15 years ago, but he's too old now. Jude Law & Ethan Hawke are too young. Ed Norton is a possibility, though he's only 35 which counts against him. Harrison Ford fits the bill, and he still had charisma in What Lies Beneath, a 2000 release, but he'se over 60 now so it's a stretch, I concede. I love Johnny Depp, and he did EM Barry wonderfully in Finding Neverland. He has all the goods for the role, although whilst he's over 40 now, he still looks 30.

Finally after half an hour of 'surely there's got to be a better casting than Hanks', it's hit me like a lightbulb: George Clooney. Done. Perfect.

Jean Reno is awesome casting, and Audrey Tautou is, well, interesting. All right, moving on ...

No no no. Seeing that the book is, at best, third rate Umberto Eco, the obvious choice would be Roger Moore. Why? Because just as Sean Connery was great in "The Name of the Rose", Moore could be the sub-standard follow up to this performance.
Although I do agree with the comments on Jean Reno (an automatic extra * for any movie he has been in, even Godzilla)

eclectic
20-04-2005, 07:14 PM
And now three questions for you [if these seem a little obscure, it's because I've tried to come up with questions that aren't easily googled]:

1. Name the 10 common parts of the body that have just 3 letters. No slang. [eg Gut, Bum, and Tits won't fly here]

2. Identify the next three letters in this sequence O T F S N E _ _ _

3. What was the name of Hamlet's father?

hi jase

the best that i can do

1 arm, leg, ear, eye, jaw, toe, rib, lip, (eye)lid, tip (of tongue)

2 T F S (thirteen fifteen seventeen) (odd numbers)

3 hamlet

someone might improve on last two answers in Q 1

eclectic

eclectic
20-04-2005, 07:28 PM
to q1 i might even be able to add

nap

??

area under bottom lip against which chefs hold an implement? to test the heat of a dish etc as that area is particularly sensitive to heat

someone else might learn that once their chef course starts !!

eclectic

eclectic
20-04-2005, 07:37 PM
ok

gum to q1 too

eclectic

Alan Shore
20-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Oh and Hamlet's Dad might also be called 'The Ghost' or 'The King' hehe.

More parts... eclectic did pretty well... Fib(ula)?

Oh I know.. fat!

How about (on a chess theme) sac?

The neo(cortex) ?

Ova!

Surely one of those.

Rincewind
20-04-2005, 08:18 PM
gum to q1 too

Lap is the only other the come to mind or (voice) box.

eclectic
20-04-2005, 08:40 PM
might i also perhaps add ?

vas (deferens) (to match ova)

orb (for orbit wherein eyeball sits - though perhaps too shakespearean for a thespian such as jase ;) )

eclectic

(+postcount [restore])

jase
20-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Eclectic, i'll pay you 9/10 for: arm, ear, eye, gum, jaw, leg, lip, rib, and toe.

No cigar for vas, orb [though i appreciated that reference], lap, fat [!!], sac [maybe Belthasar could win this one on semantics], neo, nap [though I learnt something], and ova [i did write 'common body parts', connoting that that all people have them]. One obvious one missing.

I put off reading Da Vinci Code until last year because I expected it to be populist pulp fiction. Finally caved at the airport and found it to be a cracking read. At imdb they've listed some of the production team: lots of award-winning crew, especially the painter the art department has secured. An impressive coup that's really got me looking forward to the film, even with Tom Hanks.

eclectic
20-04-2005, 09:23 PM
HIP

eclectic

Alan Shore
21-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Nice work eclectic. Please don't vanish again after evening out at 500...