PDA

View Full Version : Basic Tournament rights and rules

bunta
11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
hey guys, im playing a tournament in lidcombe this thursday. i was wondering if anyone can give me any rules or regulations in regards to the tournament, especially with clocks since i don't play with them very often. Or if my opponent does something fishy, gets up and leaves or something. Any tippers?

shaun
11-04-2005, 09:28 AM
hey guys, im playing a tournament in lidcombe this thursday. i was wondering if anyone can give me any rules or regulations in regards to the tournament, especially with clocks since i don't play with them very often. Or if my opponent does something fishy, gets up and leaves or something. Any tippers?
Clocks: Make sure they are set for the right time control and don't forget to press them after your move.
Anything else: If you think there is something fishy just ask the arbiter for assistence. That is what they are there for.

Thunderspirit
11-04-2005, 10:13 AM
You are always aloud to stop the clock and call over the DOP. If you're opponent tries to stop you he/she is in breach of the rules. As long as what you ask for isn't stupid, your friendly DOP will always be here to help... :P

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 10:43 AM
You are always aloud to stop the clock and call over the DOP. If you're opponent tries to stop you he/she is in breach of the rules. As long as what you ask for isn't stupid, your friendly DOP will always be here to help... :P

Yes, provide the stoppage isn't specious but some latitude should be given to inexperienced players.

I had an experienced player stop a clock on me coming up to a zietnot as he had stopped recording in time pressure and wanted to determine if the 40th move had been reached. I wasn't impressed.

firegoat7
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Hello,

Make sure you write your opponents move down before you make and press the clock after your move. Otherwise you risk the arbiter intervening and insisting that you keep your scoresheet update. Be methodical about writing your move down, don't attempt to blitz your opponent on the clock.

cheers Fg7