PDA

View Full Version : Wine Appreciation

Spiny Norman
10-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Actually, my liqueur glass tonight has Renmano 1976 Show Reserve Sweet White that is moderating. (Hope this doesn't get me RIP'd).
[snip]
Bottle #4222 Individually bottled.
Do you want the text on the other side of the bottle?

You teaser ... ;) ... sounds like a nice drop, although I've never been that keen on the sweet whites. Port of more my cup of tea (which fits right in with the MFC membership of course!).

I thought I'd start this in a new thread. If you have recommendations for a 'good drop' please post it here. Doesn't matter whether it's a <$10/bottle commercial wine, or a >$50/bottle "from the cellar door only".

My first recommendation:

CHARDONNAY: Chestnut Hill "Liberty" Chardonnay. Chestnut Hill winery, 1200 Packenham Road, Mt Burnett, 03 5942 7314. Proprietors: Drago and Ivka Javor. Not available in shops, known by some as the "Little Giaconda" chardonnay because of its extraordinary quality. ~$30/bottle.

ursogr8
10-04-2005, 08:59 AM
^
Good idea Frosty to start this thread ...........easy to see why you have three green lights.

Btw, although the label said 'white', it actually is more look-alike a light port

JGB
10-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Chianti Riserva Classico is probably my fave Italian wine. Its a sweet deep red from Tuscany.

HappyFriend
10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Apparently they drink cask Sherry at the Melbourne Chess Club and a really expensive wine is considered to be McWilliams Sherry (its in a bottle)

Paul S
11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I like just about any type of alcohol (as long as it is of reasonable quality). :D

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 01:59 AM
What about rubbing alcohol?

Rhubarb
11-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Chianti Riserva Classico is probably my faveWith fava beans, Clarice?

FFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Or the Chateau de Melbourne Chess Club....cheap wine, turps, urine

Spiny Norman
11-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Good idea Frosty to start this thread ...

Unfortunately it looks like running off the rails already. Where are those dratted moderators when you need them. ;)

I'd like to ask for a ruling at this point and refer moderators to post #1 of this thread where I said:

If you have recommendations for a 'good drop' please post it here. Doesn't matter whether it's a <$10/bottle commercial wine, or a >$50/bottle "from the cellar door only".

Unless HappyFriend is seriously suggesting that some would buy specially-bottled urine at their local bottle-o, can we have that sort of stuff shunted off to a more suitable thread entitled "HappyFriend's predilection for consumption of bodily wastes" (or words to that effect)?

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I actually have never imbibed the Chateau de Melbourne Chess Club. Don't take thinks so seriously we Europeans can never really take Australians seriously when they talk about wine. I thought VB was the national drink. For what its worth French Bortrytis Semillons are cheap around $80.00. Sorry I just didn't know you were actually curious.

ElevatorEscapee
11-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Personally, I quite like the Rosemount Estate reds, reasonably priced (at around the $10-$15 mark) and better than many of the $20+ per bottle variety.

For beer, the best Aussie commercial brew I have tasted is Grand Ridge Moonshine (It has a superb, rich malty taste), at 8.5% alcohol/volume and $4+ per stubbie it is one that should be savoured rather than quaffed.

Grand ridge also produced a Supershine scotch ale (11.5%), as well as more normal aclohol percentage beers (such as a Pilsner at around the 4-5% mark), however, for mine, it is the flavour of the Moonshine that sets it above the rest. :)

For those more adventurous, there is always my home brew ginger beer which has earnt me compliments from several other chessplayers who have sampled it... (but I am down to my last eight stubbies of last year's batch).

Spiny Norman
11-04-2005, 08:23 PM
For those more adventurous, there is always my home brew ginger beer which has earnt me compliments from several other chessplayers who have sampled it... (but I am down to my last eight stubbies of last year's batch).

Home brew ... oooohhhhh ... hadn't thought of pursuing "recipies".

You're in Bendigo, right? My wife hails from up that way (Toolleen, "place of plenty possum"). Might drop you a note when I'm next in town. Maybe we can share brews and a blitz game?

WhiteElephant
11-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Does anyone here remember Gary Bekker's 'What's a Pawn Between Friends' tournaments about 10 years ago?

They were held at a beach house in Dromana. After each round finished, the 'wine appreciation' started. And beer appreciation. And spirits appreciation as well. Great stuff. Top quality games were played last round each day.

JGB
11-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Does anyone here remember Gary Bekker's 'What's a Pawn Between Friends' tournaments about 10 years ago?

They were held at a beach house in Dromana. After each round finished, the 'wine appreciation' started. And beer appreciation. And spirits appreciation as well. Great stuff. Top quality games were played last round each day.

very nice. ;)

Just ordered another batch of my Dark Wheat Beer (Weizen) from Germany. That stuff is the gear!

arosar
11-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Gerdell was telling about some tournament in Koln that sounds basically like Bekker's. It's a blitz tourn. After each round, apparently, they have a drink of beer.

AR

JGB
11-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Gerdell was telling about some tournament in Koln that sounds basically like Bekker's. It's a blitz tourn. After each round, apparently, they have a drink of beer.

AR

They are becoming less common, but do still exist. Including the tournament you have described, they have a few cool chess traditions:

Night Blitz : Starts at about 8 in the arvo and goes thorugh to 8 in the morning. Thats about 30 rounds of 5 minute chess. I think we had over 100 entries last year. People are falling asleep at the board by about 4:30 am

Chess Triathlon: This was a fave at my Club. 7 Round tournament going for only 1 day. First 3 rounds of blitz, to sort out equal pairing, 2 rounds of Rapid, 1 Fide rated Full length game with someone of relative strength, followed by a final Rapid game to end the tournament.

arosar
11-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Night Blitz : Starts at about 8 in the arvo and goes thorugh to 8 in the morning. Thats about 30 rounds of 5 minute chess. I think we had over 100 entries last year. People are falling asleep at the board by about 4:30 am.

Jesus Christ! Last time I did anything that comes close to that was NYE celebrations for 2004. After playing at the park, we just hauled our boards and asses to the nearest pub on Oxford St, plonked ourselves on a coupla tables and started playing. We stayed there til about 3AM or 4AM. Now this was Oxford St remember. So there's lotsa hip and good looking types walking in and out of that joint. What took me aback was that instead of these people looking at us funny and getting all annoyed, they were actually quite fascinated by a bunch of people playing chess. Some gorgeous sheilas sat down with us and started playing.

AR

WhiteElephant
11-04-2005, 09:01 PM
What took me aback was that instead of these people looking at us funny and getting all annoyed, they were actually quite fascinated by a bunch of people playing chess. Some gorgeous sheilas sat down with us and started playing.

AR

I have done quite a few public simuls around Melbourne and it's amazing the response from people...spectators standing 3 rows deep and queuing up for a game. Heaps of classy girls coming over for a game...who would have thought? I even had a couple taking their wedding photos come over and get their photos taken while playing - in tux and wedding dress!

ElevatorEscapee
12-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Home brew ... oooohhhhh ... hadn't thought of pursuing "recipies".

You're in Bendigo, right? My wife hails from up that way (Toolleen, "place of plenty possum"). Might drop you a note when I'm next in town. Maybe we can share brews and a blitz game?

You would be most welcome. :-)

ElevatorEscapee
14-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Apologies for replying to my own post (although it seems to be rampant here, so maybe I can get away with it :P).

We had our International Openings and Cheese Allegro night at the club last night. (This is a fun event held once a year and an inspired twist on the old "fixed openings allegro" by our Tournament Director).

Basically we would play a fixed opening for each round (for instance the French Defence), and a different cheese would be offered (with bikkies and dips) to compliment the nationality of the opening (eg the Camembert to accompany the French).

Some connoiseurs brought along red and white wine to compliment the cheeses... and one female member even brought along some cheesecake, and the ingredients to make Manhattan cocktails (this accompanied the Manhattan variation of the QGD: 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Nbd7 5.Nf3 Bb4).

A Manhattan cocktail consists of measures of Vermouth (16-17% alc/volume), Whiskey (approx 40% alc/vol), and Agnostura Bitters (approx 44.5% alc/vol) with a marischino cherry.

In the words of our club president, "those Manhattans kick like a mule!"

Of course, nobody had to sample anything if they did not want to. :)

I tried a small tumbler of the Manhattan, but only took a couple of sips, as I was driving home. Indeed, no one actually drank to excess, with teetotallers and juniors having as much fun as everyone else.

We also had a new member show up for the first time... (I hope he doesn't expect it to be like that every week! :lol: )

The important thing in any chess night, of course, is the results:

Havarti scooped the pool as the number one cheese (accompanying the Danish Gamibt in the first round).

In the drinks section, the Manhattan proved far too powerful for the wine, coffee, Milo, tea and water. :cool:

Alan Shore
14-04-2005, 10:56 PM

AR

Yeah I know that tourn.

It was called the Doeberl Cup Blitz. ;)

I suppose it was only a few of us that were drinking after every round but still.. I think we need more of those.

Spiny Norman
15-04-2005, 10:30 AM
We had our International Openings and Cheese Allegro night at the club last night. (This is a fun event held once a year and an inspired twist on the old "fixed openings allegro" by our Tournament Director).

Basically we would play a fixed opening for each round (for instance the French Defence), and a different cheese would be offered (with bikkies and dips) to compliment the nationality of the opening (eg the Camembert to accompany the French).

:clap: Exceptional effort ... great idea ... hope you don't mind if I steal it for our club some time!

JGB
15-04-2005, 12:00 PM
:clap: Exceptional effort ... great idea ... hope you don't mind if I steal it for our club some time!

A Great idea, just exchange the 'foods of the world' for 'beverages of the world', A fine Cognac for the French defence, An 18 year old Balmenach Single Malt played with the Scottish Opening. A couple of cans of Newscastle Brown Ale to go along with the English Opening, A glass Vodka with Russian Defence and a nice Duca Enrico to be tasted along with the Sicilian Defence.

...now thats a party i want to be invited to ! ;)

Rincewind
15-04-2005, 12:33 PM
a nice Duca Enrico to be tasted along with the Sicilian Defence.

You have expensive tastes. What's wrong with the reliable Corvo? (Available in bianco and rosso.)

JGB
15-04-2005, 12:51 PM
You have expensive tastes. What's wrong with the reliable Corvo? (Available in bianco and rosso.)

Ok! but were not exchanging the Newkie Brown for Fosters Export! :hand:

arosar
30-06-2005, 04:47 PM
bump

AR

bergil
05-07-2005, 12:15 PM
For the cheap end of town, Wyndham Estates 444 Cab Sav and 555 Shiraz are good value at $10-$12 a bottle by the dozen.

A nice white from Victoria is Chateau Tabilk's Marsanne at about $20 a bottle the dozen

arosar
05-07-2005, 08:59 PM
For the cheap end of town, Wyndham Estates 444 Cab Sav and 555 Shiraz are good value at $10-$12 a bottle by the dozen

There are snobs who tell you these drops are "too industrial". But they're gorgeous. Good recommendation.

AR

Alan Shore
15-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Was going through the archives and found this.. haha

THINGS THAT ARE DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK...

Indubitably
Innovative
Preliminary
Proliferation
Cinnamon

THINGS THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK

Specificity
British Constitution
Passive-aggressive disorder
Loquacious Transubstantiate

THINGS THAT ARE DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK

Thanks, but I don't want to have sex
Nope, no more booze for me
Sorry, but you're not really my type
Good evening officer, isn't it lovely out tonight
Oh, I just couldn't. No one wants to hear me sing

ElevatorEscapee
15-07-2005, 05:30 AM
To the above, I would like to add:

"Irish wristwatch".

(I think we could really make the lives of racecallers difficult if we started calling horses names like that. ;))

Alan Shore
16-07-2005, 12:30 AM
To the above, I would like to add:

"Irish wristwatch".

(I think we could really make the lives of racecallers difficult if we started calling horses names like that. ;))

Hey.. that's my all-time favourite tongue-twister! I love hearing the efforts of those unfortunate people trying to navigate their tongues and lips in the right way but nearly always failing...

A couple of other good ones:

"How many boards would the mongols hoard if the mongol hordes got bored?"

"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

"Barry's big bed broke because billy broke barry's big bed."

owen watkin
28-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I really enjoy a nice sweet white wine.

bergil
29-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I really enjoy a nice sweet white wine.
Are your refering to a desert wines? If so I'm with you, De Bortoli's Noble One a Botrytis Semillon and Black Noble a fotified Botrytis Semillon are nice way to finish a meal.