PDA

View Full Version : Janis Joplin

antichrist
03-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Denis
These are the Janis Joplin songs which I highly recommend.

Sumertime (with Big Brother and Holding Co not with Jimmy Hendrix)
A woman left lonely
Cry Baby
Ball and Chain
Get it while you can
Piece of my heart
Amazing Grace

antichrist
23-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Any new Janis Joplin fans out there?

Spiny Norman
23-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Any new Janis Joplin fans out there?

I think their brains are so fried from 60's experimentation that they can't work out how to respond to your enquiry.

antichrist
25-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I will let you in a secret, I go to a chess club which is full of 60s has beings, I tell you they are all out of their minds and going further down quickly.

Rincewind
27-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I will let you in a secret, I go to a chess club which is full of 60s has beings, I tell you they are all out of their minds and going further down quickly.

Is Jeff Buckley the new Janis Joplin? There seems to be parallels in life and subject matter if not form of expression.

antichrist
27-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Is Jeff Buckley the new Janis Joplin? There seems to be parallels in life and subject matter if not form of expression.

Haven't heard of him,but form of expression was what it was all about. Her Summertime does everything

WhiteElephant
27-04-2005, 06:13 PM

Why is it that only chicks seem to like Jeff Buckley? All of my girlfriends have raved about him but the first time I listened to his stuff I thought....geez he makes Brian Adams look good. I get the suicidal/ self-destructive parallels with Janis Joplin though.

antichrist
27-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Why is it that only chicks seem to like Jeff Buckley? All of my girlfriends have raved about him but the first time I listened to his stuff I thought....geez he makes Brian Adams look good. I get the suicidal/ self-destructive parallels with Janis Joplin though.

I am going to upset my relos when it they are putting me "down". Instead of ruddy hymns they will be blasted with Janis and the Doors "Light My Fire". I will leave some money in my will for a big party if you all want to turn up with your chessboards and give me a proper send off.

Rincewind
27-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Why is it that only chicks seem to like Jeff Buckley?

I'm a counterexample.

Rincewind
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Her Summertime does everything

You have to listen to Hallelujah. If that doesn't give you goosebumps I don't know what will. The guy just did not write a bad lyric and (in this song) the music is haunting.

Rincewind
01-05-2005, 02:38 PM
You have to listen to Hallelujah. If that doesn't give you goosebumps I don't know what will. The guy just did not write a bad lyric and (in this song) the music is haunting.

To clarify, I note that Hallelujah were actually penned by Leonard Cohen. But it doesn't change what I said about the ability of Jeff Buckley as a lyricist in his own right, and it was Jeff's version from the album Grace which I was referring to in particular.

antichrist
01-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I am sorry but Jeff has already had his legs cut under him by White Elephant. I heard some Johnson chap from Sydney way, he was supposed to have a big name, Gaud Almighty, he put me to sleep. Yet this bird I was with was raving over him. Is he a good looker or something.

I don't think there is a substitute for Joplin's voice, lyric suitability and style. A closed mind of course.

As stated earlier paradise would have been Joplin and Cocker together. He could sing over one of her tapes now but his voice is shot. Imagine them singing Ball and Chain together.

Rincewind
01-05-2005, 06:20 PM
I thought you were an excitement machine. Perhaps old age has cooled your blood. ;)

antichrist
01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I thought you were an excitement machine. Perhaps old age has cooled your blood. ;)

Ravi Shankar would get anyone's blood going at the appropriate moment. His 20 minute lead up and climax is the ultimate -- complete with relaxation-mode ending. Have you experienced it? All physical and mental is drained. Out the window with "One more time"! Then relax quietly to Joplin. More moody stuff with Sgt Peppers or Norwegian Wood, While my Guitar.. etc.

arosar
01-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Never mind Ravi Shankar. Check out her daughter.

AR

antichrist
01-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Never mind Ravi Shankar. Check out her daughter.

AR

HIS daughter so I believe. But appearances can be terribly deceptive. I am stopping here with great reluctance.

arosar
01-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah..I meant to say HIS.

While we're talking music, I spent this avro listening to my new Charles Mingus CD. Uumm..Mm!

AR

Davidflude
29-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Alas Mingus has been dead for some time and my vinyls are wearing out. Which
record has just been re released. I love them all.

antichrist
07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Janis is better than Jesus

EGOR
08-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Janis is better than Jesus
Does Janis never existed either?:hmm:

antichrist
08-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Does Janis never existed either?:hmm:

She lives on in our heart and soul as long as we have electronically recorded music - check out her A Woman Alone - she was crucified on a needle but she gave up on Jesus because he never came good with that Merc she asked Him for. Then the Christians got back at her after her death by barring a statue of her being erected in her hometown.

littlesprout85
25-01-2007, 08:32 PM
- Janice is a one of the greats in rock-n-roll history.Right up there with Hendrix and Morrison. Yup-Yup -Sproutys mom would say that Janice is #1 of all timez.(sprouty got a pic of janice on his mirror along with all his concert ticket stubs)
-Sprout :)

antichrist
25-01-2007, 08:41 PM
- Janice is a one of the greats in rock-n-roll history.Right up there with Hendrix and Morrison. Yup-Yup -Sproutys mom would say that Janice is #1 of all timez.(sprouty got a pic of janice on his mirror along with all his concert ticket stubs)
-Sprout :)

she did not do any concerts in Aussie - don't come the raw prawn

antichrist
12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Janis Lyn Joplin was born January 19, 1943 and died October 4, 1970. In between she led a triumphant and tumultuous life blessed by an innate talent to convey powerful emotion through heart-stomping rock-and-roll singing. Born and raised in Port Arthur, Texas, a small Southern petroleum industry town, she gravitated to artistic interests cultivated by parents Seth and Dorothy Joplin.

Janis broke with local social traditions during the tense days of racial integration, standing up for the rights of African Americans whose segregated status in her hometown seared her youthful ideals. Along with fellow band beatnik-reading high school students, she pursued the non-traditional via arts and literature, especially music. They gravitated to folk and jazz with Janis especially taken with the blues. Discovering an inborn talent to belt the blues, Janis began copying the styles of Bessie Smith, Odetta and Leadbelly. ...........

Her fans wanted to erect a statue of her in her hometown the but town authorities were not proud of her.

Catch one of her best performances in A Woman Left Lonely on youtube

antichrist
18-07-2009, 07:08 PM
if you love Janis raise your hand

littlesprout85
18-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Ahhhh good to see AC holding it down here.

Here is something interesting that sprouty found today. Its a dvd doc. on the concerts Janis played in canada with other bands along with hers. This dvd takes u behind the scenes on the train and also backstage of some of her shows. 51 minutes of new footage never released before. This dvd is called "The 70's Express" & sprouty is picking it up for meh mums B-Day.

Also found a huge poster of Janis sitting in a velvet throne chair dressed like a queen with a goblet in hand. Gots to pick em both up for mums, she luvs Janis Joplin.

One other thang sprouty has seen in regards to Janis Joplin is the new release of Woodstock concert in its full content. This new release of woodstock 40th anaversary has Janis in her Prime Belting out some great hits. This dvd is a must have for Jimmi Hendrix & Janis Joplin Fans Alike. Meh cant wait to find it in the hood here.

-Sprout85 =)

antichrist
08-03-2010, 03:55 AM
when Janis died soul music died with her - breaka another little big of my heart now baby

good name for a song

antichrist
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjD4eWEUgMM

antichrist
06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhK_4evO5c

Can I meet Janis in Paradise?

antichrist
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Janis died 4th October 40 years ago, there has been no replacement

antichrist
07-10-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEep67akIn4

The Kinks Apeman song, that is just as relevant as when penned 40 years ago.

This song helped set the atmosphere of a new method of looking at life, industrialisation, alienation, survival etc - and all in a lovable song to go with your brekkie

Metro
11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
mzNEgcqWDG4
1j6avX7ebkM
Compare the 2 versions.I know which one I prefer.

antichrist
11-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Spot on, I much prefer Janis Joplin's version. Almost anyone could have sang Ella's version (that I have heard before) where as Janis version is special, different and her original style. Actually I think it displays Janis's quite superior voice.

Furthermore, I prefer comparing apples with oranges, Blues against Rock, so compare against the Big Brother & Holding Company rock version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8npK1q6LY9Q

This version caused the SMH's music critic, Fred(?) Blanks to comment that Janis's version is the best ever.

I loved that Janis version you listed by the way - such a fantastic voice that Ella can't get anywhere near to.

Metro
12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Spot on, I much prefer Janis Joplin's version. Almost anyone could have sang Ella's version (that I have heard before) where as Janis version is special, different and her original style. Actually I think it displays Janis's quite superior voice.

Furthermore, I prefer comparing apples with oranges, Blues against Rock, so compare against the Big Brother & Holding Company rock version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8npK1q6LY9Q

This version caused the SMH's music critic, Fred(?) Blanks to comment that Janis's version is the best ever.

I loved that Janis version you listed by the way - such a fantastic voice that Ella can't get anywhere near to.
No ac I prefer Ella's:rolleyes:
Are you serious about the voice? Ella has one of the best voices EVER!
For the record I like Janis but it is like comparing apples and oranges(as you say).

antichrist
12-10-2010, 05:16 PM
No ac I prefer Ella's:rolleyes:
Are you serious about the voice? Ella has one of the best voices EVER!
For the record I like Janis but it is like comparing apples and oranges(as you say).

Yes Ella has a sweet voice to put the baby to sleep, whereas Janis has re-interpreted the song breathing fire and brimstone into it - and holding the world to ransom. Janis is another Joan Sutherland (they both died early October) - the range of her voice, how she can hang on to a note. Janis' a Woman Alone I think is unsurpassed by any other woman - maybe it depends on where we are coming from, with a handle like AC I suppose I like it in my face and challenging.

Janis has similar face structure to Joan Sutherland. Large broad neck, long nasel sinus (?) large mouth and throat. BUt what Janis has extra is the passion to make her the most superb blues sing ever.

littlesprout85
12-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Hmmmmm,

You really walk the fine line of morality AC. But meh can cut ja a break for u do have a good taste in music.:owned:

-Sprout85 =)

antichrist
16-10-2010, 10:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIaDS9HhMw&feature=related

knock on my coffin when an equal comes along and I will rise from the dead for the occasion

antichrist
31-10-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D59ZWa8ehgI&feature=player_embedded

40 years ago when youth rebelled against all sorts of injustices that helped shaped today's scenario this song was a rallying song against authoritarianism

Kevin Bonham
31-10-2010, 05:37 PM
But is it also a Christian song?

"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner"

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine.

antichrist
31-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Shows my open-mindness in contradiction to my dogmaticism. I can put the religious symbolism to one side and enjoy for what it is.

"And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine. "

This can be interpreted as having a go at God, God thought/cared about him so "much" (or little) that he didn't even have a penny to put in plate. In the context of the rest of the song the singer is like "What about me it isn't fair". Needing a job, maybe needs to trespass blah blah - can't connect to rest of song as watching rugby league same time (Vs the Pomms). The guy is not mainstream so could align with supposed outsiders that supposed Jesus was to supposely stand up for.

(I even felt like the guy in my first attempt at posting this song - haha)

antichrist
31-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Another song I appreciated the religious symbolism was "Walking in Memphis" - are you a Christian child, man I am tonight. Context is so important.

antichrist
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkGUt4QYc08&feature=related

the world's most passionate singer

Oepty
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I hate Janis Joplin music

William AS
11-11-2010, 11:33 PM
:( :(

It is not Mozart or Beethoven but I still love Janis Joplin, she had that special magic thing, she sang like those American revivalist preachers preach the gospel, with passion, conviction and power. Sadly, as so often happens, that passion eventually led to disaster.

antichrist
12-11-2010, 12:08 AM

From an earlier post this thread:
Janis broke with local social traditions during the tense days of racial integration, standing up for the rights of African Americans whose segregated status in her hometown seared her youthful ideals

Scott, I could never imagine you doing this either - she may have that something that you lack, a definitive personality - see the Wizard of Oz

antichrist
14-11-2010, 07:08 AM
In response to Janis's renidition of Summertime

When I heard this song at 12 I knew my soul would never be as shut as it was before ever again; when I listened to it on the Bozacs out my capitol hill window in the '80s, I knew she was speaking the words in my heart; when I hear it today heading past 50something, I know in my heart that some humans feel and sing and cry for the rest of us - and sometimes wear out faster.

antichrist
20-11-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpDOIPx_sY&feature=related

Little Girl Blue

A gentle song in comparison to Janis' other work

antichrist
25-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Lyrics "A Woman left lonely" Janis Joplin

A woman left lonely will soon grow tired of waiting,
She'll do crazy things, yeah, on lonely occasions.
A simple conversation for the new men now and again
Makes a touchy situation when a good thing's coming to an end.
And when she gets lonely, she's thinking 'bout her man,
She knows he's taking her for granted, yeah yeah,
Honey, she doesn't understand, no no no no!

Well, the fevers of the night, they burn an unloved woman
Yeah, those red-hot flames try to push old love aside.
A woman left lonely, she's the victim of her man, yes she is.
When he can't keep up his homework, good Lord,
She's got to do the best that she can, yeah!
A woman left lonely, Lord, that lonely girl,
Lord, Lord, Lord!

Hobbes
26-11-2010, 06:14 AM
A/C, you have to admit that JJ was a two-bagger, I've seen her picture.

antichrist
26-11-2010, 06:31 AM

I can only see georgeous, don't you know that love is blind. I love her high cheek bones and smile - breaks me up. She reminds me of Joan Sutherland, big voices don't come in small petite packages. They need room to rumble in the jungle.

You can have your singing budgie with her tight bum and Jamie Redfern tweet and I will have big bad Janis Joplin whose voice can move mountains of emotions.

Thanks for reminding me, I will blast her again now.

At school guys mocked her because of her looks, and again at a school re-union after she was already famous. But there is only kind of Janis fan, i.e., fanatical, you can read it on posts with her songs.

antichrist
26-11-2010, 06:42 AM
"Down on Me"

Down on me, down on me,
Looks like everybody in this whole round world
They're down on me.

Love in this world is so hard to find
When you've got yours and I got mine.
That's why it looks like everybody in this whole round world
They're down on me.

Saying they're down on me, down on me.
Down on me.

When you see a hand that's held out toward you,
Give it some love, some day it may be you.
That's why it looks like everybody in this whole round world
They're down on me, yeah.

Lord, they're down on me, down on me, oh!
Is down on me.

Believe in your brother, have faith in man,
Help each other, honey, if you can
Because it looks like everybody in this whole round world
Is down on me.

I'm saying they're down on me, all down on me, oh!
It looks like everybody in this whole round world
Down on me!!

antichrist
29-11-2010, 12:29 AM
A famous Filipino folk song that sounds more mournful in Tagalog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LziKlSWtFOk&feature=related

The unwritten context is that often the parents can't give anything much at all so rebellion.

Or even cases due to extreme poverty that loving parents in desparation kill their children to save them from illness that they cannot afford to treat or even to feed their children. It happens occasionally.

antichrist
29-11-2010, 01:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdwePRxU8U&feature=related

Freddie Aguilar - The Beggar

We are all victims of our birthplace

antichrist
01-12-2010, 01:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXE2s2as0g&feature=related

A patriotic song that became famous during Marcos' martial law, still trying to get English translation.

Just noticed Aguino's funeral outdoor service was at Luneta Stadium where I seen her in 1986 May Day rally where she promised the world to workers but gave them almost nothing it worked out. Now her son is president and is actually trying to do something but not strong willed, mover or shaker or have numbers in stacked up courts of land.

antichrist
01-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Trust in me baby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c215JM3PZY&playnext=1&list=PLECBC7975000DF537&index=7

Hail to Janis Joplin QUEEN of ROCK AND BLUES. May your voice go on forever in the halls of time, music, and the memories of the sixties. You inspired so many people in music even after you left us far too soon, and you will continue to do so for years to come. HAIL TO YOU AND GO DEAR QUEEN, FOR NOW YOU CAN REST AND SING WITH THE ANGELS FOR ALL TIME.

R.I.P. JANIS JOPLIN

ladykagome08

OMG We lost one of the greatest blues artists! So much soul, she was the most real, genuine entertainer of her time!

Merlot5306

antichrist
03-12-2010, 01:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2yymO4J_s&feature=related

Hobbes

AC
Sure Hobbes, and we have seen your dark soul

-------------------------------------------------------------
Janis had been voted the winner of the 'ugliest man on campus' by the jockstrap college at austin she was attending her friend married and as it is with all women she dropped all her single friends including Janis. thats how Janis come to write this song

atfatw 1 month ago

antichrist
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXE2s2as0g&feature=related

Bayan Ko:My beloved country

Filipinas is your name
Pearl of the Orient
Blest with unblemished beauty
But alas! robbed of your longed-for freedom
Always weeping in poverty and pain.

My country, Filipinas
Land of gold and flowers
Love has given her grace and tranquility
And her radiance and loveliness
drew rapacious foreigners
My country, they have imprisoned you
Thrown you into sorrow and despair.

Even birds who freely fly
When caged will struggle to escape
What more of a country endowed with
nobility
Would she not strive to break free?

Filipinas, my cherished land
My home of sorrow and tears
Always I dream to see you truly free.

How lovely it is to live in one's native land
If there is no slavery and freedom
reigns supreme
A people who are now oppressed
In the morrow shall stand up
The east will turn a fiery crimson
And mark the dawn of freedom. </p>

antichrist
05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkGUt4QYc08

To Love Somebody has 2.5 million views over only just 5 months, when considering her narrow scope of fans pretty amazing really.

What a performance by the Queen

antichrist
16-12-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9yFA1S7K8&feature=related

Don't you turn your back on love....

antichrist
26-12-2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4mVwTaYYg

he would always intro this song with long romantic piano piece at Muso's club

antichrist
28-12-2010, 09:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56tsL_HJwaM&feature=related

break another piece of my heart

antichrist
11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
music : Lyrics
So Sad To Be Alone
Janis Joplin
t's sad, so sad to be alone
It's sad, so sad to be alone
No friends to help you, no family no home

The dusty road calls you, come again
The dusty road calls you, you walk till the end

You look at other people through your tears
They know nothing of sorrow, of saddness or fear

You sit and sing in darkened rooms
Your song fills the air with increasing gloom

No friends to help you, no family, no home
-------------------------------------------

Janis wrote this song after one her close friends married and left her lonely and sad. She sang it with so much sorrow I hope I can find another site with it.

antichrist
21-01-2011, 09:25 PM
http://tonomusical.com/videos/FVpDOIPx_sY/Janis-Joplin/

antichrist
24-01-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9yFA1S7K8&feature=related

Don't you turn your back on love....

Youtube comment on this song:

She gave my ears an orgasm

antichrist
24-01-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNNcegYfHqI

this link works

So Sad To Be Alone

Janis Joplint's sad, so sad to be alone
No friends to help you, no family no home

The dusty road calls you, you walk till the end

They know nothing of sorrow, of saddness or fear

Your song fills the air with increasing gloom

No friends to help you, no family, no home
-------------------------------------------

Janis wrote this song after one her close friends married and left her lonely and sad. She sang it with so much sorrow I hope I can find another site with it.

antichrist
26-01-2011, 01:40 AM
http://www.last.fm/group/Janis+Joplin+Fan+Club/shoutbox?page=1

antichrist
04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
God thought to have sent a normal singer on Earth, but then He realized that He made a big mistake: He sent a Singer of Heaven instead (something wrong with the delivery office I guess), so He decided to get her back because of course She belonged to heaven and she couldn't stay on Earth. But Dear God, YOU(!!) Made a mistake this time(!!), not humans beings(!!), so........we want janis Back!!!!

crazyhorse799 1 month ago 29

Rincewind
04-03-2011, 01:48 PM
This thread has been pretty quiet for the last 5 weeks. The hangman thread, on the other hand, has been going like the clappers. :)

antichrist
04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
This thread has been pretty quiet for the last 5 weeks. The hangman thread, on the other hand, has been going like the clappers. :)

what do you mean? even when barred I entered here and listened as an honoured guest. Plus you can't just go on view counts, coz we may listen to 666 songs on the one view, I will turn her on again right now - Little Boy Blue

But you are right, when considering swaps with Alexchesschat site, Moz said he wanted the quality Hangman thread

antichrist
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Sorry guys taking a break from hangman

AC
I doubt blame you at all - now what is your favourite Janis song to re-ignite your enthusiasm - Lord Wont you buy me a mercedes benz?

You are welcome to bring a few more deserters with you

antichrist
09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
just wish that she had realized how "SPECIAL" she was. And had loved herself enough to win that battle with drugs. Jimi Hendrix was quoted as saying he has never heard a singer hit so many notes as she could that is a compliment. LOVE YA JANIS Thanks foor soothing my soul all these years......................

kajunmomx3 2 months ago 2
!

antichrist
17-03-2011, 01:01 PM
to the jocks who raped janis in high school,if i ever come near you i will kill all of you.mike scott canada 2010.

PONYBOY430 6 months ago

Hobbes
19-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Hobbes Is this the worst song in the world?
CD2LRROpph0

AC
Are you giving Janis a promotion

Actually, I have to confess, I have always liked Janis Joplin's Me and Bobby Mcgee.

antichrist
19-03-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRngF381qo

antichrist
21-04-2011, 07:12 PM
If you don't have love in your life you are not living - Janis believed in love

antichrist
06-05-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIHgZHDJlZY&feature=related

the sort of song that I would imagine Mae West singing

antichrist
08-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Betty Blockbuster Churcher recently stated that she was not artist because she was not innovative nor interpreted anything in a new manner. She only copied though may have done so very well.

Well amongst singers very few fit the bill as artist, the Beatles definitely and Janis Joplin as well. Her Summertime being a prime example. Her agressive style is a first amongst females that I can detect.

antichrist
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.janisjoplin.net/news/40/48/Piece-Of-Her-Heart-Laura-Joplin-Makes-Peace-With-Her-Sister-s-Tragic-Life/
AC
And when coming closer to death's door many people realise that the personal is more important than the philosophical
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piece Of Her Heart: Laura Joplin Makes Peace With Her Sister's Tragic Life

by Stephen Foehr - Chicago Tribune

October 18, 1992

DENVER - Janis Joplin loved to knit...................................

She and her younger sister, Laura, .............................

Janis Joplin was a rock ‘n’ roll star, a brassy blues mama who died of a heroin overdose in 1970 at age 27.

Now Laura Joplin, six years younger than Janis, has written a biography, “Love, Janis” (Villard, $22.50), that puts the hometown girl Janis and the Janis who personified the rebellious 1960’s on the same coin.

“Janis is an image of the psychedelic music, drugs, emotional freedom of the 60’s,” said Laura, sitting at the dining room table in her comfortable Denver home, where she lives with her husband and young daughter. “There is a renewed interest now in that time and in Janis...

“She believed that no matter who you are - race, dress, pimply face, whatever - everybody deserves equal respect and love. People in the 1990’s are searching for that kind of connection after the materialism of the 80’s.”

Laura, who has a Ph.D. in education from Prescott College in Prescott, Ariz. decided to write the book to give a “fuller and more balanced view” of Janis than other biographies presented. The writing also helped her resolve the grief over her sister’s death in October 1970.

“Writing the book was a turning point for me in that I moved past the grief and came to a broader and deeper appreciation of Janis,” Laura said. “Now I can listen to her songs with joy, instead of crying.”

Laura hopes the book also will change people’s perception of Janis. ......................

But Janis and the musicians of the San Francisco scene had a philosophical base for what they were doing, according to Laura. They believed that by breaking sociological and emotional barriers in their personal lives, they could learn more about themselves. If enough people did that, then society would change to be more open and accepting.

“The impetus of the personal growth movement, feminism and the environmental movement came from the 1960s,” Laura said, “although many of the people back then, Janis included, didn’t know what they were doing. They acted impulsively.”

But according to Laura, Janis deliberately turned away from the intellect to focus on the emotional self.

“Being an intellectual creates lots of questions and no answers,” Janis is quoted in the book as saying. “You can fill your life up with ideas and still go home lonely. All you really have that really matters is feelings. That’s what music is to me.”

Janis came by her musical inclinations naturally. Her mother, Dorothy, had an operatic soprano voice and appeared in college musicals. A New York theatrical director heard her sing and encouraged her to try a stage career. Instead, after graduation, she got a job at an Amarillo, Texas, radio station, where she met her future husband, Seth.

“Our father taught us to ask why things happened or were as they were,” Laura said. “He was tone deaf, but had a fine sense and appreciation of classical music. Our parents never pushed music on us, but mother would show us singing techniques.”

Those singing lessons came at odd times. “On Saturdays, when we cleaned the house, mother would put on records of Broadway showtunes full-blast. She, Janis and I did the work singing at the top of our voices," Laura said.

Despite all the singing around her, Janis’ early artistic interests were drawing and painting.

“Being an artist was Janis’ goal and more than in just the technical sense,” said Laura. “She had the mindset of an artist.”

But being an aspiring artist in Port Arthur (pop. 55,000) in the early 1960’s, especially for a young girl from a respectable family, set Janis out of the mainstream. In high school, she taught herself to play the guitar, wore black turtlenecks and hung out with a gang of self-styled beatniks.

Janis bought recordings by Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday. She went to the Cajun and black nightclubs in Vinton, Louisiana, just across the state line, when she was still underage. Blues was performed in black nightclubs in Port Arthur, but “white girls didn’t go there nor would they have been welcomed,” said Laura. “Port Arthur was very segregated until 1967.”

Janis’ first public performance, at a park department talent contest in the summer of 1962, was in Austin, ...............

By 1966, the psychedelic scene was burgeoning in San Francisco, where the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and other bands were attracting national attention. Janis was urged by rock impresario Chet Helms to head west and check out a San Francisco band called Big Brother and the Holding Company, which needed a vocalist. Janis left school once again and headed for the coast. Six days after she arrived, Janis joined the band.

She found herself in the middle of Haight-Ashbury and a creative explosion that promoted self-exploration, free sex as communion, racial integration, an anti-establishment attitude and music as ecstasy, Laura writes.

.............................................”

Big Brother was a successful act by that time, earning good money and good reviews. But it was the band’s performance at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 that made Janis famous. The following week, she was written up in Time magazine. The album she made with Big Brother in 1968, “Cheap Thrills” sold more than 1 million copies and spun off the hit single “Piece of My Heart.” She began a solo career in 1969 and released just one album before her death.

The fame damaged Janis and Laura’s relationship with her, Laura said.

“Janis started to get an attitude of “you’re hip or you’re not,” Laura said. “In 1970, she said in a interview that our brother Michael (today an artist who works in glass) was hip but I was not. I was indignant at being branded unhip. I had very heated words with her.”

Laura wasn’t that unhip...............

..................................”

As passionately as Janis sought stardom, she quickly became disillusioned by it and by the public image she cultivated as a fast-living red-hot white woman singing the black blues, Laura reports.

“She thought (the public image) was a cheap sell,” Laura said. “she tricked herself out in sexy clothes showing lots of cleavage and all of a sudden, ta-daaaa! She arrived. She was the same person singing the same songs. Her own artistic temperament said, ‘I want to relate with your guts. I really want to get into it.’ And here she was riding a crest of success built on all the other stuff.”

Janis tried various genres but she always returned to the blues, which offered her a way to get in touch with her elemental self: “She always remembered that the God in her was talking to the God in you,” said Laura. “The spiritual quality of the blues allowed that expression. Music has the potential for unleashing the spirit and Janis found that music worked her that way.”

Joplin came to symbolize the right to fully express yourself without fear.

In the book, Laura quotes a fan’s letter: “She’s us. She’s not a star, she’s us. I’ve never met her but I know her. It’s like, hearing her, you leave your body and you just move, man. She’s just all energy.”

antichrist
08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
..janis is such a goddess in the way that she sings and in the way that she mad love to her audience through vocals. her expressions through the music she makes is ...incredible ...i dont use past tense when i speak of janis joplin because ...she lives on there may be gaga fans and beiber fans and mainstream idiots who think they hear music but its jis money ..they dont ..real music is the major of janis joplin im 16 and i know this ...wish people would wake up...wish she were here

i love you

Sugar000TONGUE 3 months

antichrist
19-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Hobbes frok shoutbox
When JJ makes those noises instead of singing words, is it that she is still singing words but I can't understand, or has she forgotten the words to the song?

[18-07-2011 07:02 PM] Hobbes:

Maybe zonked out

AC
you are very funny hobbes - you are lucky I am still in good mood from my avartar pic.

antichrist
19-07-2011, 09:02 AM
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=song+wild+thing&docid=1021480076574&mid=827B8F4C1929BDCB5478827B8F4C1929BDCB5478&FORM=LKVR19#

from when they knew what music was

antichrist
04-08-2011, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkGUt4QYc08

To Love Somebody has 2.5 million views over only just 5 months, when considering her narrow scope of fans pretty amazing really.

What a performance by the Queen

To realise Janis's artistic bent and passion you only have to compare with original Bee Gees version

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bee+gees+to+love+somebody&PC=CPDTDF&mid=2AE02E21F0CB1DBEAC722AE02E21F0CB1DBEAC72&FORM=LKVR#

Hobbes
04-08-2011, 08:20 PM
BOTEDnQ4Fvk

antichrist
04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
thanks, shame we missed the songs coz she put so much energy into them

antichrist
09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx4ST7-8co4&feature=related

I have heard this guy live and he has a beautiful voice

William AS
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx4ST7-8co4&feature=related

I have heard this guy live and he has a beautiful voice

Looked at this video for about 20 seconds before I became sea sick, may have been ok if it had not been recorded on an I Phone operated by a drunk. :doh: :rolleyes:

antichrist
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHLPIT2kXes&feature=related

antichrist
11-11-2011, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHLPIT2kXes&feature=related

World Championships of the Performing Arts - It's annual Talent Compitition joined by 54 countries from all over the world held in Hollywood, California. Jed won the Grand Title in 2005.

littlesprout85
12-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Mmmmm,

Sprout just got done hearing a song for da first time sung by Janis Joplin"Get it while U Can ":cool:

This must be a very rare song recorded back in the day live. She Truly is the Best Female Rock-N-Roll singer of all timez #1

-Sprout85 =)

antichrist
21-11-2011, 08:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsb4Zffc86U

antichrist
21-11-2011, 09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4XmqLH1DpQ&feature=related

Janis
She was ugly. Her voice cracked. Sometimes she was off-key. She was a notorious slut and drunkard. But no woman ever sang with more of her soul than Janis. It's as if every ounce of love, passion, emotion, fury, anger, understanding, honesty, sensuality, and her entire being poured over the mic. She sang as if to one person, but made everybody feel as she did. And that's what makes her so damn beautiful. Nobody will ever replace you. We'll always miss you Janis. And we'll always love you.

mechmusician 2 months ago 74

antichrist
21-11-2011, 09:37 AM
why has there been no voices to match Tom JOnes, Rod STewart, Janis Joplin in past 40 years - no new Ravi Shankars either

where have all the flowers gone

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
21-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Janis
She was ugly. Her voice cracked. Sometimes she was off-key. She was a notorious slut and drunkard.

obviously all the qualitys a guy could ever desire of a woman.

antichrist
21-11-2011, 08:47 PM
obviously all the qualitys a guy could ever desire of a woman.

but she sort genuine love and love can conquer all. I never thought her ugly, I loved her high cheekbones, also I think that to have a certain voice must have a certain face, they go together, just like Joan Sutherland

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
21-11-2011, 09:00 PM
but she sort genuine love and love can conquer all. I never thought her ugly, I loved her high cheekbones, also I think that to have a certain voice must have a certain face, they go together, just like Joan Sutherland

i keep forgetting how genuine the love of a slut is. silly me. :eh:

your not suggesting that joan sutherland was similarly the town bike who also liked to hit the bottle. :hand:

antichrist
22-11-2011, 06:57 AM
i keep forgetting how genuine the love of a slut is. silly me. :eh:

your not suggesting that joan sutherland was similarly the town bike who also liked to hit the bottle. :hand:

I am suggesting that they have a similar face and throat structure that allows both of them to produce what so-called ""pretty"" women cannot achieve, i.e., a big, rich voice - the high cheek bones and proud nose and large neck are all part of it. We should be worshipping them not disparaging their looks. The best choir I ever heard was the black choir that accompanied Elton John in a New Years concert about 8 years ago. They were not the traditional pretty but did they have the voices. Pretty is only a relative and subjective opinion.

In a way we are also fortune that Janis hit the bottle, sex and other things - because it gave her a unique view of life and love that she shares in her music. Her advocacy of love is a lesson for us all. Her passion in her singing is a lesson for us all. These aspects of her were indispensable in her to be able to produce fantastic unique music that is appreciated right around the globe, she has a massive Hispanic following, all overflowing with admiration for her.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
22-11-2011, 09:26 PM
In a way we are also fortune that Janis hit the bottle, sex and other things - because it gave her a unique view of life and love that she shares in her music. Her advocacy of love is a lesson for us all. Her passion in her singing is a lesson for us all. These aspects of her were indispensable in her to be able to produce fantastic unique music that is appreciated right around the globe, she has a massive Hispanic following, all overflowing with admiration for her.

promiscuous drunks do not have a unique view on life. :hand:

antichrist
22-11-2011, 11:14 PM
promiscuous drunks do not have a unique view on life. :hand:

if you knew the words to her songs then maybe you would think otherwise, she turned down doing philosophy because it ignored the emotional. She put the emotional in her song. And the singing faults that were in that earlier post points to she may not have ever had proper singing lessons, just hints from her mother.

If you listen to her rock version of Summertime she turned the world upside down for very much the better and it would never be the same

antichrist
23-11-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRadyGYVHDI&feature=related

Janis cared so little about money but the people making money from her cared so much - said her dad

antichrist
23-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Now hear, probably the original, by the Carpenters who probably composed it as well. And see how in comparison it is pathetic

Oh but the little missy Carpenter is petite and pretty and smells like roses they will say - but Janis is the Serena of rock and blues

antichrist
24-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Janis Joplin was not generally attractive, but her voice made up for it. Today, its the exact opposite. No one can sing but they're famous cause they look good. Im not exactly a HUGE fan of Janis Joplin, but this is a f..king sad fact.

Th3RantDoctor 4 months ago 24

i was born 40 years too late

marinski61709 3 weeks ago 44
see all

God send us back to Janis♥' & we'll send to Justin Bieber

AlmithaPTM 9 hours ago

antichrist
24-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Now hear, probably the original, by the Carpenters who probably composed it as well. And see how in comparison it is pathetic

Oh but the little missy Carpenter is petite and pretty and smells like roses they will say - but Janis is the Serena of rock and blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3dbsnUtmU&feature=related

Max Illingworth
24-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Janis who?

antichrist
24-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Janis who?

Jesus who? At least Janis existed!

antichrist
30-12-2011, 12:04 AM
piece of my heart
dusty springfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhV3Ual2HGA

Janis Joplin version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUr_392DXGc&feature=related

antichrist
10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Janis, you may have been dead longer than you were alive but everyone loves you more and appreciate you for the brilliance, emotion, originality and meaning you put into our lives. You added love to the world not like Mary Whitehouse

ER
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/sdalachinsky.jpg

Don't know whose moaning and groaning is worse, her "singing" or Serena's while having her arse kicked by Sam Stosur?

antichrist
10-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Don't know whose moaning and groaning is worse, her "singing" or Serena's while having her arse kicked by Sam Stosur?

I thought he just could not bear any more of those boring interviews

ER
10-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Hehe the interviews could not be heard since they were written and read tens of thousands of times by those who count! the poor bloke can't just stand her moanings and groanings! :lol:

ER
10-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Janis who?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/janisjoplin-206x300.jpg

lol good question, Janis THAT! :lol:

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
10-02-2012, 10:19 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/janisjoplin-206x300.jpg

lol good question, Janis THAT! :lol:

isnt that the wicked witch of the east ?

ER
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
isnt that the wicked witch of the east ?

Oh goodness me, I can't really guess L. Frank Baum's response to this question, however, I think that the poor witch herself would certainly be offended by the comparison! I mean she definitely had her faults, but a hopeless druggie?

antichrist
10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
you should not tell untruths, she had been off drugs for fair while before getting depressed over relationship troubles, and her system not beings so used to them and/or stronger dose she reacted.

John Lennon also had drug problems but does not detract from his greatness.

JJ had and shared love, and still does beyond national boundaries, in her day she had to contend with similar small town small-mindedness - 40 years later no thing has changed.

At least she tried to make boring interviewers look good.

antichrist
11-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Oh goodness me, I can't really guess L. Frank Baum's response to this question, however, I think that the poor witch herself would certainly be offended by the comparison! I mean she definitely had her faults, but a hopeless druggie?

at least she did not do boring interviews

ER
11-02-2012, 05:28 AM
lol I wouldn't really trust the literary criticism abilities of a camel rider would you Janice?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/images.jpg

Well, Janice, no bad feelings but I wouldn't interview you either, sorry! :P

(I don't do druggies and alkies!) :lol:

antichrist
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Janis Lyn Joplin (January 19, 1943 -- October 4, 1970) was an American singer, songwriter and music arranger. She rose to prominence in the late 1960s as the lead singer of Big Brother and the Holding Company and later as a solo artist. Rolling Stone magazine ranked Joplin number 46 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time in 2004,[1] and number 28 on its 2008 list of 100 Greatest Singers of All Time

AC
in similar type of polls, the later in 2008 shows her more recognised - her light will never fade.

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Firstly comparing "artists" with "singers" is not comparing like with like. Secondly those so-called "polls" are actually panel voting and the panel selected for such things will typically just be one that largely reinforces Rolling Stone's existing baby-boomer-era prejudices in the music market.

antichrist
11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Why I go along with their polls is coz in about 1969 when I first heard her Summertime, with BB&HC it was a knockout, only ever being used to the slow soft versions before that. And as she did musical arrangement it may have been all her work. A revolution in music that song was.

What artist since then has revolutionised music in such a way? What have we had since? Johnny Rotten, Mike Jackson, ABBA, Madonna, Singing Budgie, Police, Metalic rock. Hip Hop is big time but is so mediocre - you heard one you heard the lot, they were basically copying Sammy Davis Jnr. You tell me

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
A revolution in music that song was.

So what was the net effect of this "revolution"? Your own complaints about subsequent music seem to imply it had no revolutionary effect whatsoever - it was just something you liked.

antichrist
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
So what was the net effect of this "revolution"? Your own complaints about subsequent music seem to imply it had no revolutionary effect whatsoever - it was just something you liked.

Actually Johnny Rotten may have followed the trend with God Save the Queen, that is reworking oldies with rock versions. Jimmy Hendrix did it with Stars Spangled Banner. Joe Cocker with The Letter and Help.

Well many more recent performers have adopted new styles that I don't consider very artistic or of that much merit. It is one thing belting out noise, another thing invoking heavy emotion. Hip HOp is all very mediocre singing and tunes. I have heard hip hop versions of p.ssweak sixties song and can't believe how they could actually make them worse. My mates son up here is a star and his music puts me to sleep - so pathetic.

antichrist
11-02-2012, 01:34 PM
What? Singing? Who says I am f... singing? I just wanna f... score man!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Janis_Joplin.jpg

Janis at her best freethinking mode

Janis only showed love and wrote love. In times of racial segregation in USA she stood up Afro-American rights. Janis' love in her songs is still felt by the world, yet you can only pull cheap shots about her. Keep your small-mindness

ER
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Hehe I take Gershwin's masterpiece anytime! I 'd even refuse to listen to that draggy's off key, off sense, off the planet "singing"! LOL I haven't studied music at a very high level to lose time listening to this absolute base crap! Only an uneducated silly drongo would enjoy that kind of "music"!. I mean "oh lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz"??? Please! I would add "oh lord thank you so much for shutting the bitch up!" I hope she is having a sobber time where she is now!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/janis_forevermaybe_23985.jpg
and dear God please keep her quiet!

antichrist
12-02-2012, 11:14 AM
And God please save us from extremely boring interviewers who try to distract attention away from their low ratings - see her song is multifunctional

ER
12-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Were these photos part of her first promo campaign?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/JanisJoplin17years.jpg

LOL I was wondering, was there a carcass procession and a headbanging gig after she bought the farm?

Kevin Bonham
12-02-2012, 12:28 PM
you should not tell untruths, she had been off drugs for fair while before getting depressed over relationship troubles, and her system not beings so used to them and/or stronger dose she reacted.

Wasn't she on and off drugs pretty much her whole career, and never off them for more than a few months at a time? It's not something to hold against someone's artistic stature but I just wonder if JaK's "druggie" comments are actually basically true, albeit harsh and irrelevant.

ER
12-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Wasn't she on and off drugs pretty much her whole career, and never off them for more than a few months at a time? It's not something to hold against someone's artistic stature but I just wonder if JaK's "druggie" comments are actually basically true, albeit harsh and irrelevant.

Drugs can have an effect on an artist during a performance and / or recording session. We had well known cases of artists such as Brian Jones (Rolling Stones), Joe Cocker (alcohol), Eric Clapton and others who were carried off of rather than performing on stage! It has also been claimed that substance use has somehow enhanced certain individuals' performance or ability to compose!
I have to admit that to carry a discussion with a low level troll such as the initiator of this thread is futile and as my friend Igor used to say "fighing with a pig will only get both of you dirty and the pig will love it"! However, giving the troll some of their own can be fun particularly when the troll has nothing to juxtapose and reverts to silly comments!
Now, a few facts about Summertime and various versions of it.
I first came across the piece when I was studying infuences of Jazz and Blues music on modern classical composers such as Stravinsky, Gershwin etc.
I did some work on Gershwin's stuff mainly from Porgy and Bess since it's abundant of stylistic J&B examples rather than the atonal masterpieces of Stravinsky. After all that part of the composition course was only worth one unit so I wasn't going to spend a lifetime analysing Stravinsky! :lol:
Summertime, is a fine operatic example since it combines both elements allowing for various interpretations as in fact it did and still goes through! It's indeed a rich song!
It's also a difficult song! No simple chord progressions in Gershwin's or other great interpretations by artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Wes Montgomery, George Benson and Miles Davis just to name a few greats who have paid some real service to this remarkable composition.
Now, on the other hand you have the case of a mediocre rock/jazz band such as Big Brother & the Holding Company who arranged Summertime (Janice was not a musician and I 'd be surprised if she was able to arrange Baa Baa Black Sheep even if she tried :lol: ) in a "catchy" for the untrained ear but very simplistic form!
A monotonous and lengthy guitar introduction based on a minor scale with a couple of 7nths and a diminished somewhere for special effect(*) followed by Janice's deplorable "singing"!
Of course I don't expect the troll to have the intellectual capacities to comprehend what I am talking about here, however, I think that this post could be useful to restore some order in this thread! :)
(*) at that particular time, chords were more likely to attract some so called musicians rather by what they looked rather than what they sounded like! :)
As for Janice being amongst the leaders of the black rights movement, give me a break! I 'd prefer MLK anytime! :)
Off to Tassie now, ciao a tutti! :)

antichrist
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM

LOL I was wondering, was there a carcass procession and a headbanging gig after she bought the farm?

Thanks for that. As one who has bucked the legal system here numerous times when felt justified and freedom-loving it makes me more proud of her. We have the same revolution in our heads. Go for it Janis!

antichrist
12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I am glad to see her as music arranger coz her re-arrangement of Summertime was a classic - as SMH music critic stated it is best version out of dozens.

I would value the SMH music critic's opinion much higher than that of a boring interviewer - he, like multitudes generations later, connect with the power and passion and uniqueness of her music.

antichrist
12-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Drugs can have an effect on an artist during a performance and / or recording session. We had well known cases of artists such as Brian Jones (Rolling Stones), Joe Cocker (alcohol), Eric Clapton and others who were carried off of rather than performing on stage! It has also been claimed that substance use has somehow enhanced certain individuals' performance or ability to compose!
I have to admit that to carry a discussion with a low level troll such as the initiator of this thread is futile and as my friend Igor used to say "fighing with a pig will only get both of you dirty and the pig will love it"! However, giving the troll some of their own can be fun particularly when the troll has nothing to juxtapose and reverts to silly comments!
Now, a few facts about Summertime and various versions of it.
I first came across the piece when I was studying infuences of Jazz and Blues music on modern classical composers such as Stravinsky, Gershwin etc.
I did some work on Gershwin's stuff mainly from Porgy and Bess since it's abundant of stylistic J&B examples rather than the atonal masterpieces of Stravinsky. After all that part of the composition course was only worth one unit so I wasn't going to spend a lifetime analysing Stravinsky! :lol:
Summertime, is a fine operatic example since it combines both elements allowing for various interpretations as in fact it did and still goes through! It's indeed a rich song!
It's also a difficult song! No simple chord progressions in Gershwin's or other great interpretations by artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Wes Montgomery, George Benson and Miles Davis just to name a few greats who have paid some real service to this remarkable composition.
Now, on the other hand you have the case of a mediocre rock/jazz band such as Big Brother & the Holding Company who arranged Summertime (Janice was not a musician and I 'd be surprised if she was able to arrange Baa Baa Black Sheep even if she tried :lol: ) in a "catchy" for the untrained ear but very simplistic form!
A monotonous and lengthy guitar introduction based on a minor scale with a couple of 7nths and a diminished somewhere for special effect(*) followed by Janice's deplorable "singing"!
Of course I don't expect the troll to have the intellectual capacities to comprehend what I am talking about here, however, I think that this post could be useful to restore some order in this thread! :)
(*) at that particular time, chords were more likely to attract some so called musicians rather by what they looked rather than what they sounded like! :)
As for Janice being amongst the leaders of the black rights movement, give me a break! I 'd prefer MLK anytime! :)
Off to Tassie now, ciao a tutti! :)

AC
It is sad when losers have to distort other people's great achievements in an attempt appear someone. But Janis copped put-downs her whole life and showed her true spirit by conquering all.

From wiki
Big Brother and the Holding Company: 1966–1968

The band's debut album, Big Brother and the Holding Company, was released by Columbia Records in August 1967, shortly after the group's breakthrough appearance in June at the Monterey Pop Festival.[11] The debut album spawned two minor hits with "Down on Me", a traditional song arranged by Joplin, and "Bye Bye Baby".

Time magazine called Joplin "probably the most powerful singer to emerge from the white rock movement," and Richard Goldstein wrote for the May 1968 issue of Vogue magazine that Joplin was "the most staggering leading woman in rock... she slinks like tar, scowls like war... clutching the knees of a final stanza, begging it not to leave... Janis Joplin can sing the chic off any listener."

Cheap Thrills (album)
For her first major studio recording, Janis played a major role in the arrangement and production of the recordings that would become Big Brother and the Holding Company's second album, Cheap Thrills. During the recording, Joplin was said to be the first person to enter the studio and the last person to leave. Footage of Joplin and the band in the studio shows Joplin in great form and taking charge during the recording for "Summertime".

Cheap Thrills reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart eight weeks after its release, remaining for eight (nonconsecutive) weeks. The album was certified gold at release and sold over a million copies in the first month of its release. The lead single from the album, "Piece of My Heart", reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the fall of 1968.

Joplin had a profound influence on many singers. Florence Welch of Florence and The Machine spoke of Joplin's impact on her own musical prowess in an interview for Why Music Matters in a commercial against piracy:
I learnt about Janis from an anthology of female blues singers. Janis was a fascinating character who bridged the gap between psychedelic blues and soul scenes. She was so vulnerable, self-conscious and full of suffering. She tore herself apart yet on stage she was totally different. She was so unrestrained, so free, so raw and she wasn't afraid to wail. Her connection with the audience was really important. It seems to me the suffering and intensity of her performance go hand in hand. There was always a sense of longing, of searching for something. I think she really sums up the idea that soul is about putting your pain into something beautiful.

antichrist
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Hehe I take Gershwin's masterpiece anytime! I 'd even refuse to listen to that draggy's off key, off sense, off the planet "singing"! LOL I haven't studied music at a very high level to lose time listening to this absolute base crap! Only an uneducated silly drongo would enjoy that kind of "music"!. I mean "oh lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz"??? Please! I would add "oh lord thank you so much for shutting the bitch up!" I hope she is having a sobber time where she is now!
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/janis_forevermaybe_23985.jpg
and dear God please keep her quiet!

AC

It is a shame our resident music critic above missed the whole point of Janis'' song. This ""critic"" lived through the era but appears to miss the whole message of that generation. The amazing quote, from the magz, says it all.
--------------------------------

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201103/spitting-janis-joplins-grave

We celebrate people for what they do, not who they are. Jennifer Hamady

Magazine
Tests
Psych Basics
Experts

Our Humanity, Naturally
A club for humanists.
by Dave Niose

Spitting on Janis Joplin's grave

Art sacrificed on altar of corporate profit

Published on March 8, 2011 by David Niose in Our Humanity, Naturally
Janis Joplin described her hit Mercedes Benz as "a song of great social and political import," and it was. With almost no instrumental accompaniment, Joplin belts out lyrics that indict the superficial, consumption-driven society in which she lived.

This radical little tune resonates because it speaks a simple truth that can be easily understood. We've lost sight of what really matters. Materialism has made modern life dysfunctional and real peace elusive.

Thus, if you had to imagine the greatest insult that could be delivered to the memory of Joplin, her message, and her song, you might imagine the song being utilized by the car company to sell luxury cars. Well, it's not your imagination:

If there was any doubt that corporate interests own and control our society, to the point that they can buy whatever they want, redefine art and truth, and shape the thinking and actions of ordinary people, this bold, Orwellian misuse of Joplin and her work - completely reversing the message of her song decades after her death - should confirm it. Notice how Mercedes skillfully edits the song to exclude all the lyrics that would remind viewers of what Joplin was really saying.
.................................................. .....

antichrist
12-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Audiences like their blues singers to be miserable.
Janis Joplin
(you gave them sufficient to OD on)

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.
Janis Joplin
(how succinctly stated)

Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got.
Janis Joplin
(such great advice)

Guess what, I might be the first hippie pinup girl.
Janis Joplin
(first and last)

antichrist
12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I always wanted to be an artist, whatever that was, like other chicks want to be stewardesses. I read. I painted. I thought.
Janis Joplin
(and the world is a lot better place for it)

I got treated very badly in Texas. They don't treat beatniks too good in Texas. Port Arthur people thought I was a beatnik, though they'd never seen one and neither had I.
Janis Joplin
(considering the massacre they took place afterwards we can well understand)

I won't quit to become someone's old lady.
Janis Joplin
(how fantastic - great independence)

I'm one of those regular weird people.
Janis Joplin
(her rejection at school would have assisted in this)

If I hold back, I'm no good. I'm no good. I'd rather be good sometimes, than holding back all the time.
Janis Joplin
(how true, even top people are sometimes incorrect so what)

My father wouldn't get us a TV, he wouldn't allow a TV in the house.
Janis Joplin
(her Benz song mentions getting a colour TV)

antichrist
12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.
Janis Joplin
(mentioned above is a song of great social and political importance)

On stage I make love to twenty five thousand people; and then I go home alone.
Janis Joplin
(often the case with true artists)

Texas is OK if you want to settle down and do your own thing quietly, but it's not for outrageous people, and I was always outrageous.
Janis Joplin
(without the outrageous life and society stagnates)

When I sing, I feel like when you're first in love. It's more than sex. It's that point two people can get to they call love, when you really touch someone for the first time, but it's gigantic, multiplied by the whole audience. I feel chills.
Janis Joplin
(and that is why they love her so much)

You got to get it while you can.
Janis Joplin
(with love certainly - even family love is important though often ignored)

You know why we're stuck with the myth that only black people have soul? Because white people don't let themselves feel things.
Janis Joplin
(from a girl at the coalface of both cultures)

antichrist
12-02-2012, 09:18 PM

AC
justing making the customers happy I would say

reference coming
Was arrested for using "vulgar and indecent language" while performing at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa, Florida, on Sunday, November 16, 1969. Unlike Jim Morrison, who was arrested onstage in the middle of his Florida performance earlier in 1969, Joplin was allowed to finish her concert and then got handcuffed by police backstage. Was released on a $504 bond after spending approximately an hour behind bars. .

antichrist
12-02-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0429767/bio

Personal Quotes

My advice to everyone is come to California and I'll buy you a drink.

On stage, I make love to 25,000 different people, then I go home alone.

[asked by a reporter what "acid rock" was] I wouldn't know. I'm a juicer.

You know, I have to have the umph. I've got to feel it, because if it's not getting through to me, the audience sure as hell aren't going to feel it either.

They're frauds, the whole goddamn [hippie] culture. They bitch about brainwashing from their parents and they do the same damn thing. I've never known a one of those people who would tolerate any way of life but their own.

I don't believe in gate-crashing. The people aren't up there when I'm sweating on a stage at a festival, breaking my ass. You can get the money [to buy a concert ticket], man. Sell your old lady, sell your dope. Look at me, man, I'm selling my heart.

Most [TV] shows are such shit, like selling plastic raindrops.

Kevin Bonham
12-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Published on March 8, 2011 by David Niose in Our Humanity, Naturally
Janis Joplin described her hit Mercedes Benz as "a song of great social and political import," and it was. With almost no instrumental accompaniment, Joplin belts out lyrics that indict the superficial, consumption-driven society in which she lived.

Is it really that clearcut and unambiguous in meaning? Joplin herself drove a Porsche, albeit a paisley-painted one.

antichrist
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Is it really that clearcut and unambiguous in meaning? Joplin herself drove a Porsche, albeit a paisley-painted one.

I thought it funny how she had not forgotten her father not allowing a TV in the house - and her commenting in that song "lord wont you buy me a colour TV" dialling for dollars is trying contact me"", her and her father could see the idiot box for what it most was then

antichrist
12-02-2012, 10:02 PM
It is better to be remembered for love then hate

Get It While You Can lyrics

In this world, if you read the papers, Lord,
You know everybodyís fighting on with each other.
You got no one you can count on, baby,
Not even your own brother.
So if someone comes along,
Heís gonna give you some love and affection
Iíd say get it while you can, yeah!
Honey, get it while you can,
Hey, hey, get it while you can,
Donít you turn your back on love, no, no!

Donít you know when youíre loving anybody, baby,
Youíre taking a gamble on a little sorrow,
But then who cares, baby,
ĎCause we may not be here tomorrow, no.
And if anybody should come along,
He gonna give you any love and affection,
Iíd say get it while you can, yeah!

Hey, hey, get it while you can,
Hey, hey, get it while you can.
Donít you turn your back on love,
No no no, no no no no no.

Oh, get it while you can,
Honey get it when youíre gonna wanna need it dear, yeah yeah,
Hey hey, get it while you can,
Donít you turn your back on love,
No no no, no no no no, get it while you can,
I said hold on to somebody when you get a little lonely, dear,
Hey hey, hold on to that manís heart,
Yeah, get it, want it, hold it, need it,
Get it, want it, need it, hold it,
Get it while you can, yeah,
Honey get it while you can, baby, yeah,
Hey hey, get it while you can!

antichrist
12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Whitney like Janis had serious drug problems, these are not confined to artists but according to K Rudd effect many families in Australia. It is tragic when talented bods are taken from us prematurely.

Max Illingworth
12-02-2012, 10:48 PM
And then there were none...

antichrist
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
AC
I can't think of any other woman at the time who had such a reputation - on par with Germain Greer I would say.

from Biography

Electrifying, highly acclaimed, and intensely personal, this new and updated version of Myra Friedman's classic biography of Janis Joplin teems with dramatic insights into Joplin's genius and into the chaotic times that catapulted her to fame as the legendary queen of rock. It is a stunning panorama of the turbulent decade when Joplin's was the rallying voice of a generation that lost itself in her music and found itself in her words.

From her small hometown of Port Arthur, Texas, to San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury, from the intimate coffeehouses to the supercharged concert halls, from the glitter of worldwide fame to her tragic end in a Hollywood hotel, here is all the fire and anguish of an immortal, immensely talented, and troubled performer who devoured everything the rock scene had to offer in a fatal attempt to make peace with herself and her era. Yet, in an eloquent introduction recently written by the author, Joplin emerges from her "ugly duckling" childhood as a woman truly ahead of her time, an outrageous rebel, a defiant outcast and artist of incomparable authenticity who, almost in spite of herself, became to so many a symbol of triumph over adversity.

antichrist
12-02-2012, 10:57 PM
"You never can tell....Sometimes they think they're gonna like you. And then you get out there and you really damage and offend their femininity. You know, 'No chick is supposed to stand like that.' I mean, crouching down in front of the guitar player goin' 'uuuuhhhn!' You know, lettin' your tits shake around, and your hair's stringy, you have no makeup on, and sweat running down your face, you're coming up to the ****in' microphone, man, and at one point their heads just go 'click,' and they go 'Oooh, no!' You get that a lot. It's really far out. When you're standing on stage you can't see the whole crowd. The trouble is the groovy crowd is usually in the back, because they can't afford the seats down front - the seats down front are the local rich people, the local doctors' sons and their country club dates. They're the ones that are just sitting there, man, with their knees just so. You know, only cross at your ankles, keep your panty girdle tight together, and you sit with your hands in your lap. And I'm up there singing, I'm going, 'Cha-cha-boom-quack-quack,' and I look out at the crowd and the front rows are goin' -- these girls have these little pinched smiles and the expressions on their faces are of absolute horror. They're never seen anything like it, and they don't want to again, man. The chick's up there, shakin' it all and sayin' , 'How do you like that, boys?' and the boys are goin' , 'Aaaaaaghhh!' The girls are going, 'Oh my God, she may be able to sing, but she doesn't have to act like that!"

antichrist
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
"I'm a victim of my own insides. There was a time when I wanted to know everything. I read a lot. I guess you'd say I was pretty intellectual. It's odd, I can't remember when it changed. It used to make me very unhappy, all that feeling. I just didn't know what to do with it. But now I've learned how to make feeling work for me. I'm full of emotion and I want a release, and if you're on stage and if it's really working and you've got the audience with you, it's a oneness you feel. I'm into me, plus they're into me, and everything comes together. You're full of it. I don't know, I just want to feel as much as I can, it's what 'soul' is all about."

antichrist
12-02-2012, 11:00 PM
"I hope you're going to edit this stuff. I don't want to sound like a senile, self-pitying chick babbling on and on about her days of glory."

"You're supposed to be doin' an article on me, man. **** reality!"

"Onstage, I make love to 25,000 people - then I go home alone."

"When I'm there, I'm not here," Janis said later. "I can't talk about my singing; I'm inside it. How can you describe something you're inside of?"

"'I feel, you know, I hurt, please help.' I'm saying words, man, and if I look at an audience and they ain't understanding me, it's just like getting kicked in the teeth."

"People, whether they know it or not, like their blues singers miserable. They like their blues singers to die afterwards."

"Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got."

littlesprout85
12-02-2012, 11:04 PM
rite onz,

Meh see that ac still gots that candle lit for miss Janis .. . . . dont let it ever go out or there will be h_ _ _ to pay.:eek:

Wat can sproutums say about Janis that isnt postive . . .. nothing . . ..Lets get onz to the positive side of life then & chat about how she had a Huge impact on many individuals & basically society at large in the states back in the 60's & early 70's.

Janice truly was very gifted in language & social skills. She could hold ppls attention for hours & Not Sing. :whistle:

Janis Was A trend setter, millions of young stateside women tuned out & joined the hippy/flowerchild movement(peace not war) & wanted to be like her (sprouts mum):doh:

Janis was the glue that bonded female singing artists from all types of music backgrounds together seemlessly. Janice was blues/folk/rock/r&b all rolled into one passionate lady singing her soul out everynite regardless of being on stage or not.She might not have had the best voice,but she had the soul & the style to get the message thru to her generation loud & clear. :owned:

Janis had a huge impact on other rock superstars at the time. Jimmy Hendrix & Jim Morrison were best friends with Janis,many a time they spent together backstage at venues partaying hard. :wall:

-Sprout85 =)

antichrist
14-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Whitney is deservedly loved all around the world for her wonderful talent - just as the same way we respect you because of your wonderful talent.

Janis also has the talent only in a different way of expression. Refer to William As'' post ages ago answering Scott

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2012, 10:36 AM
At the serious risk of violating nil nisi bonum Houston's voice in my view was far too often wasted on soppy sludge.

antichrist
14-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Janis from STairs
I don't believe in gate-crashing. The people aren't up there when I'm sweating on a stage at a festival, breaking my ass. You can get the money [to buy a concert ticket], man. Sell your old lady, sell your dope. Look at me, man, I'm selling my heart.

AC
What a terrific blast of what Janis stood for, so we should pay for recordings (sometimes).

And KB, love songs do have a purpose, Whitney kept the masses happy. Janis is for the acquired taste. I don't think she had proper singing lessons.

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Whitney kept the masses happy.

Since when have you accepted keeping the masses happy as a valid argument for anything?

antichrist
14-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Since when have you accepted keeping the masses happy as a valid argument for anything?

WEll it is dangerous getting the masses involved in anything but mainstream - you will end up with Great Proletatian Cultural Revolution or the Hitler rallies.

Looks what happens when the anti-poker mob take on the clubs, ALP members of parliament in sensitive seats are besiged by the masses, incited by the clubs, who want the addicted minority to finance their continued mediococre lives.

Keep the masses out of it

antichrist
15-02-2012, 11:37 AM

the revolution could not be widespread coz they did not have Janis'' voice - Cocker was in the same class, the voice and a heavier rock version, though he slowed the songs down to be able to get the gravel flowing

antichrist
17-03-2013, 08:07 AM

maybe but their spirit lives on, Janis probably has more fans now then when alive, mainly due to internet

John Lennon's Imagine song is more relevant then forty years ago

Just a Bobby Fischer's spirit lives on in his games

Kevin Bonham
17-03-2013, 12:08 PM
John Lennon's Imagine song is more relevant then forty years ago

The word you were looking for is "ridiculous".

antichrist
17-03-2013, 12:56 PM
The word you were looking for is "ridiculous".

It is virtually the only atheist hymn we have and has caught the world's soul for two generations, esp poignant now with all religious fanatics starting war and revolutions everywhere (often also in response to brutality of course).

Can you prescribe any other formula for the world's troubles? NO

You can't even challenge yourself to study P/I issue, probably the longest running conflict in past century.

Lennon went out on ships into conflict zone to preach peace - what are your heroes and anti-heroes doing? Singing hip hop or punk crap that the general population has no connection to nor understands! The masses are needed to be enthused to get results.

Janis Joplin also preached 'brotherly" love in her songs, e.g. Get it while you can - don't you turn your back on love (but I think she practised sisterly love in real life)

Surely some of the above breaks 15 BB rules that I dont even remember or kept on file

Kevin Bonham
17-03-2013, 01:14 PM
It is virtually the only atheist hymn we have

It's more an international-socialist/peacenik hymn than an atheist one. Lennon himself said it was aimed at denominations rather than religious belief as such.

Can you prescribe any other formula for the world's troubles? NO

What is the use of a formula that is simple, obvious and wrong?

Nothing wrong with political art but trite political art is bad.

antichrist
17-03-2013, 01:49 PM
It's more an international-socialist/peacenik hymn than an atheist one. Lennon himself said it was aimed at denominations rather than religious belief as such.

What is the use of a formula that is simple, obvious and wrong?

Nothing wrong with political art but trite political art is bad.

Lennon only asks us to imagine, that is all that is needed for a rational, thinking person to come to rational conclusions - it is only a simple solution that is required.

What philosophy can succeed if it is not international-socialistic and peacenik?

Are you suggesting nationalist, capitalistic and war-mongering is the answer? Exactly what Truman or Eisenhower warned against - the industrial-military complex - where is Axiom when we need him/her?

Kevin Bonham
17-03-2013, 02:57 PM
What philosophy can succeed it it is not international-socialistic and peacenik?

The idea that a single philosophy can succeed in solving the bulk of problems is itself mindbogglingly stupid. Especially where it runs so contrary to human nature.

where is Axiom when we need him/her?

To rip off something recently said about you: I don't know, that situation has never arisen. :lol:

antichrist
17-03-2013, 03:57 PM
The idea that a single philosophy can succeed in solving the bulk of problems is itself mindbogglingly stupid. Especially where it runs so contrary to human nature............

But it is not a single philosophy, it is a humanistic trinity.
1) not clinging to divisive religions
2) not clinging to divisive and discriminating borders
3) not clinging to overly materialistic values so that others cannot also share the Earth's resources

Lennon only omitted population control and pollution, but these was covered by that other arm of British Invasion, the Kinks in Apeman song and album.

These philosophy were a reaction to WW2 and atomic weapon use - just as we are drifting away from these reminders does not make us safer from such - only our memory of them fades - only until it is too late and they re-occur.

antichrist
22-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Many know Gina ďBeauty is an iron mine" Rinehart, who is definitely more appealing than that cheap trollop favorite singer of yours! BTW Gina has also made the list! :lol:

Janis has vastly influenced for 40 years. I have recently introduced her to friends, not born yet when she died, and they are downloading her on I tunes. REad the sites on her how she influenced music, still does, her stance against racism and her libertarian streak (KB's soft spot). Janis spread love, could not be said the same for the other one you mentioned.

antichrist
24-04-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rhE2Db4F3o
an 11 year old without a corkscrew nose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1R622nFc1c
here as a ten year old fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSiTtsRRDNU
dito

antichrist
19-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Is is now 40 years since Janis died but her spirit lives on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhK_4evO5c

She was a woman left lonely just like the song

Primarily a painter while still in school, she first began singing blues and folk music with friends. While at Thomas Jefferson High School, she stated that she was mostly shunned.[5] Joplin was quoted as saying, "I was a misfit. I read, I painted, I didn't hate niggers."[4] As a teen, she became overweight and her skin broke out so badly she was left with deep scars which required dermabrasion.[4][6][7] Other kids at high school would routinely taunt her and call her names like "pig", "freak", "nigger lover" or "creep" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janis_Joplin

Rincewind
03-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Jj_myXdOLV0

antichrist
03-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Jj_myXdOLV0

That video should be banned, it only glamorises fagging - I wonder how much she may have got paid to influence young people into smoking and dying.

Can't sing much either, she would not fill Janis Joplins back tooth so to speak.

I actually heard that whole song through - so equally hear this little girl all the way through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUc7fs-bGc - time for her own fan club

Rincewind
03-12-2014, 10:12 PM
That video should be banned, it only glamorises fagging - I wonder how much she may have got paid to influence young people into smoking and dying.

Can't sing much either, she would not fill Janis Joplins back tooth so to speak.

She does a good cover. The original song was by Leonard Cohen and he has said the song is about Janis Joplin with whom he had a brief encounter at the Chelsea Hotel. Although he later regretted linking Janis to the song and he described the disclosure of the subject of the song as his only professional indiscretion.

antichrist
03-12-2014, 11:20 PM

She does a good cover. The original song was by Leonard Cohen and he has said the song is about Janis Joplin with whom he had a brief encounter at the Chelsea Hotel. Although he later regretted linking Janis to the song and he described the disclosure of the subject of the song as his only professional indiscretion.

To quote Cathy Jackson maybe Janis donated a charity shag. Funny I had first stated it was Jacqui Lambie who done the charity thing but then remembered her trimming comment.

But I doubt Janis got paid for it. Nor was she paid for Southern Comfort tatoo on neck. Someone close to me has recently become a fan of her music. did you enjoy Arisandra?

Rincewind
07-12-2014, 11:23 PM

Rincewind
07-12-2014, 11:24 PM

Rincewind
07-12-2014, 11:26 PM

antichrist
08-12-2014, 03:04 AM
So Janis has another fan or at least appears so. At least in her singing she appears to be her own person.

Rincewind
08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I just love the way she seems to be constantly smoking.

antichrist
08-12-2014, 12:49 PM

I am disappointed we lost such a talent so early, no one sings the blues like her. I love her free spirit and philosophy

antichrist
05-02-2015, 05:30 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/microphonecheck/2013/11/25/247170488/bun-b-on-janis-joplin-ugk-s-label-struggles-and-his-voice
So for me I kind of had to go out into the world, and we actually had ó the precedent was already set because Janis Joplin is also from my town. And when she tried to do her music at home, she wasn't received at all. Like people really were against her because she was trying to do soul music, collaborating with black artists, and my town ó the town I grew up in in those days was very racist. The outlaying areas are still very racist. And she left and went out in the world and made her bones and came back as a legend, you know.
---------------------------------------------

AC" and soon this thread will be ten years standing

antichrist
14-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Cozmic blues she called them - unique powerful voice as always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-irXmqIzGA
WORK ME LORD

antichrist
14-04-2018, 08:35 AM

you missed the Southern Comfort

antichrist
17-04-2018, 08:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RCxJPVo4Ws

this woman must be the biggest JJ fan

Garrett
22-08-2019, 03:58 PM
AC you might like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJKHlkJM_gs

antichrist
22-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Thanks. The only trouble with cover versions of Janice songs is that they usually disappoint and reminds of just how special Janice was. Bobby Magee was a bit special because it reminds me of my first love and I had to move towns due to the drought to find a job. Due to the old 44 hour week I had to hitch a ride commencing 1pm to travel 90 miles. Once it took 9 hours so I arrived late etc. So eventually my girlfriend got the Jack of it and gave up on me. So that was life when on about £2.10s a week.

antichrist
03-11-2019, 10:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiBo_wTxrY

Rhonda Todt
3 years ago

I'm a 58 year old woman who's life changed when I first heard Janis Joplin sing. I had never seen or heard anyone like her. To this very day, she still amazes me! She created a new perspective for me, of the world around me. I wasn't as pretty as the other girls my age, and couldn't sing as well, and was from a downtrodden area know as "OkieVille" in California. She made me realize that it didn't matter where I was from, what I had, or didn't have. I lived through her, singing with a hairbrush in front of my mirror. I would have, and still to this day, given anything to have had one moment with her to tell her what she meant to me, and how she changed me forever. "Maybe", Piece of my Heart, To love somebody...and the list goes on. Thank You, Janis, for being different than the rest, and reassuring a young teenage girl, that dreams can come true, and idols do come along, and live forever in your soul. AND for being the AMAZING performer that you were, and still are. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

antichrist
07-10-2020, 11:40 PM
Yesterday was 50th anniversary of Camel on Heat's death.