PDA

View Full Version : Round 6 games

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Chapman-Rogers

Another upset - and yet Ian is still only half a point off the pace. Serious attrition at the top of the field in this tournament.

I like those Bg5 moves in places where White has played h4 and Black has played ...h6 and castled kingside. Unfortunately one of the few times I got to play one (Tas-NZN in the interstate challenge) it was unsound and ended up lost. In this case, no such risk, looks like 14...Ncd5 wasn't the best response as Black struggled to get full compensation for the exchange after that. But later on Black appeared to have some chances at points.

I assume that W45 is Bf7 and B51 is Rd6. If that's right it looks like Black's last serious throw of the dice would have been 45...Rxd4. I don't think it actually works though, whatever the computer may initially say otherwise, I reckon White still wins. Maybe a few moves previously - at a quick glance 41...Bf7 looks promising.

Blazkova - Zhao

It thrilled me to see a win for the greatest defence known to man, the French Closed Tarrasch. :D For mine, Zhao was never seriously threatened by the kitchen-sink hurl 22.Nf6, of course 22.Ng3 would have been objectively sounder but Black would do fine with the half-open f-file and a nice big passed pawn anyway. 3.Nd2 Nf6, 0-1, thanks for coming.

(I might be a tiny bit biased here ...)

Lane - Solomon

Magnificent. =D> On move 20 Solomon has no right to hope for more than a draw but simply through superior endgame technique he outplays his opponent and by move 40 if not earlier White appears to be busted (41.Kc5 allowing the showy knight sac does not help but I believe that 41.c7 also loses.) I thought that Solo would win today but that was awesome.

Might look at a few more later.

Garvinator
05-01-2004, 12:39 AM
so it was you that kept me having to put moves in for qld against tassie :rolleyes: .

you could have just taken the draw early on and saved me a couple of months ;)

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Tassie had three players at that stage. At that point we were playing QLD and WA simultaneously and for some reason we got the match strategy completely wrong and decided to play quietly against you (who we reckoned to be a weaker team) and uncompromisingly against them (who we reckoned were around our strength or slightly better).

This backfired terribly. You drew and they beat us. :( And it could have been worse - I think just after we rejected your first offer you missed a Qa7 that was positionally very strong and had us in crisis talks for a few days - we had a line of defence but it was tenuous and if it fell over we were seriously worse. We were so busy panicking about that game that we played a rather brazen line against WA without learning all the theory properly and got our just desserts. Later on we kept playing because had you played inaccurately we could have won, but you were very resolute in wiping all our winning chances out, and as one man playing against a team of three two of whom are c.2000 OTB you deserve credit for that. There were a lot of subtle ways you could have lost that ending.

The reason we rejected your second draw offer and then offered you a draw just after was that one of our guys was away and we wanted to make a full unanimous team decision. After we slimmed down from four to three following one team member dropping out early in our smash against the evidently weak NSW team, we tried to make everything unanimous.

Garvinator
05-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Our team got decimated during the championships. We had David Smerdon, Andy Sag and myself for about the first three rounds and we were on 3/3 i think. We then lost David to his studies in victoria and Andy moved to South Australia and I think he played for SA.

So I was left all on my own to keep putting in moves for QLD :o . I think QLD would have had very good chances of placing 1 or 2 approx, had we been able to keep our original side intact, but we couldnt.

Garvinator
05-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Blazkova - Zhao

It thrilled me to see a win for the greatest defence known to man, the French Closed Tarrasch. :D For mine, Zhao was never seriously threatened by the kitchen-sink hurl 22.Nf6, of course 22.Ng3 would have been objectively sounder but Black would do fine with the half-open f-file and a nice big passed pawn anyway. 3.Nd2 Nf6, 0-1, thanks for coming.

(I might be a tiny bit biased here ...)

As someone who has a very good idea about how Petra plays chess and the way she thinks about it, I am not surprised by her attacks in this championships. I have been a little surprised by how it has appeared that she has been able to get attacks going so easily. I am even more surprised by how she has fallen over in mid attack in two games.

I cannot give any clue to what she is thinking at the moment as we are not speaking, so i cant help as to what caused Rh6 against Tao or Nf6 against Zhao.

Her openings have also been consistent from what she used to say to me about opening choice.

Kevin you will be happy to hear that the french is always likely to appear on her board as she always plays e4. She then always chooses Nd2.