PDA

View Full Version : My Top 40!

Paul S
24-03-2005, 05:10 PM
I've been on a RDO today (preparing/packing for the Doeberl!) and with a bit of spare time on my hands today, I thought I would try and come up with my all time top 40 songs!

It's not a definitive list - there are bound to be songs that I have overlooked. And selecting 40 was a difficult enough task in itself, let alone trying to sort them out into order (ie try not to be too critical of me for the 1 to 40 order of them)!

Nonetheless, feel free to agree or disagree with my selection! I have tried to be as objective (balanced) as possible, even though there is a bit of a bias towards the 70s and 60s in my selection (sorry guys and gals, but overall music was better then than in the 80s, 90s and 00s - although all eras have their share of good and bad songs - and I have included a reasonable selection of 80s, 90s and 00s songs in there)!

It was a difficult task trying to narrow it down to 40 and I feel an "honourable mention" should be made of some of the songs that "just missed out"............Mama Mia - Abba, I'll Stand by You - The Pretenders, Piano Man - Billy Joel, Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell, Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones, Drops of Jupiter - Train, Changes - David Bowie, Under Pressure - David Bowie + Queen, Shaddap Your Face - Joe Dolce, Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor, How Bizarre - OMC, I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor, Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen, Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus, Dont' Go Breaking My Heart - ELton John + Kiki Dee, This Love - Maroon 5, Beautiful Day - U2, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2 and Union City Blue - Blondie.

Anyway, refer to the next post for my "all time top 40"!!!..............

Paul S
24-03-2005, 05:11 PM
1) Dancing Queen by Abba
2) Hey Jude by The Beatles
3) Desperado by The Eagles
4) Nights on Broadway by the Bee Gees
5) Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel
6) December 1963 (Oh What A Night) by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
7) We Will Rock You by Queen
8) Something In The Air by Thunderclap Newman
9) Cracklin’ Rosie by Neil Diamond
10) Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band
11) Waterloo by Abba
12) Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
13) Born to be Alive by Patrick Hernandez
14) (Remember the days of the) Old School Yard by Cat Stevens
15) Daniel by Elton John
16) Sweetest Thing by U2
17) Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann (and his Earth Band)
18) Hard Rock Café by Carole King
19) A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
20) My Happiness by Powderfinger
21) All by Myself by Eric Carmen
22) The Best Disco In Town by The Ritchie Family
23) Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
24) Tiny Dancer by Elton John
25) Black or White by Michael Jackson
26) Material Girl by Madonna
27) Sailing by Rod Stewart
28) Twist and Shout by The Beatles
29) Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond
30) Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley
31) Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes
32) Jive Talkin’ by The Bee Gees
33) You’ll Never Walk Alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers
34) You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Dusty Springfield
35) Jump by Van Halen
36) Island Home by Christine Anu
37) Scar by Missy Higgins
38) Ring Ring by Abba
39) Tubthumping by Chumbuwamba
40) Mickey by Toni Basil

Rincewind
24-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Looks like the Coma FM playlist. ;)

Best of luck on the weekend.

Paul S
24-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Looks like the Coma FM playlist. ;)

:(

Best of luck on the weekend.

:D

Rincewind
24-03-2005, 07:39 PM
:evil:

To be an all time top 40 you should try to not repeat any artists. You have too many ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees, Elton John and WAAAY too many Billy Joel songs.

You have nothing by (for example) Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM, the list goes on and there are many giants who have been missed. Now perhaps not all of them will find a track into your top 40, but on reflection can't you find room for some decent music? I mean KC and the Sunshine Band and multiple Billy Joel songs. What were you thinking?

Also perhaps you should vary the eras a bit. You have a couple of token efforts from post-1990, but it seems a pretty unrepresented 15 years compared to 1975-1990. Perhaps another way of tacking it would be top 5 songs from each time period 1965-69, 1970-74, 1975-79, etc. Still only one song per artist from the whole list and the end product might be more interesting.

Thunderspirit
24-03-2005, 07:44 PM
To be an all time top 40 you should try to not repeat any artists. You have too many ABBA, Beatles, Bee Gees, Elton John and WAAAY too many Billy Joel songs.

You have nothing by (for example) Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM, the list goes on and there are many giants who have been missed. Now perhaps not all of them will find a track into your top 40, but on reflection can't you find room for some decent music? I mean KC and the Sunshine Band and multiple Billy Joel songs. What were you thinking?

Also perhaps you should vary the eras a bit. You have a couple of token efforts from post-1990, but it seems a pretty unrepresented 15 years compared to 1975-1990. Perhaps another way of tacking it would be top 5 songs from each time period 1965-69, 1970-74, 1975-79, etc. Still only one song per artist from the whole list and the end product might be more interesting.

Rice, good selections but we are a different generation...

Rincewind
24-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Rice, good selections but we are a different generation...

Really good music crosses generations.

arosar
24-03-2005, 07:51 PM
What . . . no Nina Simone??

AR

Thunderspirit
24-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Really good music crosses generations.

As an AC/DC fan I couldn't agree more. At the gig at Canberra the youngest was 6 years old! and the oldest was almost 80...

Paul S
24-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Not at all. Look at how many hit songs these artists have had! Each of them has had anywhere from 2 to 10 times the number of quality hits than each of the artists you mention (Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM). Why shouldn't an artist be entitled to more than one song in the "Top 40" if they have more than one song that is good enough?

You have nothing by (for example) Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM, the list goes on and there are many giants who have been missed.

Most of these artists are good and some of their songs would not be out of place in my top 40. However, there are only 40 places available in a top 40!

I mean KC and the Sunshine Band and multiple Billy Joel songs. What were you thinking?

KC's Give It Up is a top song!

:hmm: Multiple Billy Joel songs in my top 40 you say? There is only one Billy Joel song there! Sounds like one Billy Joel song is one too many for you!? :hmm:

Some eras are better than others when it comes to music. Sure there are some good songs out today, but there are also far too many covers these days for my liking. Also far too many rap songs which (barring the occasional exception) I don't care for. The quality of a song should be the determining factor in selecting songs for a Top 40 and not an era based quota system!

OK, Barry, lets see your top 40! ;) :P

P.S. Barry, with hindsight I should have used a :( instead of a :evil: in my earlier post - sorry about that! I will fix it up now!

Rincewind
24-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Not at all. Look at how many hit songs these artists have had! Each of them has had anywhere from 2 to 10 times the number of quality hits than each of the artists you mention (Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Ani Difraco, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pogues, Chilli Peppers, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Kate Bush, Libertines, Tool, Oasis, Nick Cave, Dave Graney, Hoodoo Gurus, Spiderbait, Beck, Whitlams, Radio Head, Urge Overkill, Insurge, TISM). Why shouldn't an artist be entitled to more than one song in the "Top 40" if they have more than one song that is good enough?

OK, maybe quantity is not the strong suit (although I think your argument breaks down with the likes of Clapton and Dylan) but most have had songs which are stand out anthems for a particular era. For example...
(to pick 10 off the top of my head)

Stairway to Heaven
Brick in the Wall
Layla
Subterranian Homesick Blues
Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Under the Bridge
Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Blister in the Sun
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Are you saying every one of the songs in your top 40 are better these 10 songs?

:hmm: Multiple Billy Joel songs in my top 40 you say? There is only one Billy Joel song there! Sounds like one Billy Joel song is one too many for you!? :hmm:

:D you noticed.

Just to show I'm not prejudiced against Mr Joel, I would give Summer Highland Falls an honourable mention.

OK, Barry, lets see your top 40!

OK, lets stick to pop (not my favourite gendre) and force a spread over years. My suggestion is to go to the ARIA End Of Year SINGLES charts (Top 50 or 100) and pick one song from each year. From al the charts available (1988-2004). No picking an artist more than once and then we can compare apples with apples.

The ARIA end of year charts can be found here...

http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts.htm

My list is here. And I apologise in advance. I had no idea until I was part way through that there is so much crap in the ARIA charts. However, if you are a Black Eye Peas fan you should have no problems (for one song anyway).

Here is my list...

1988 Faith - George Michael
1989 Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc
1990 Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
1991 The Fly - U2
1992 Under the Bridge - Read Hot Chili Peppers
1993 Everybody Hurts - REM
1994 Asshole - Denis Leary
1995 Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue
1996 Wonderwall - Oasis
1997 Freak - Silverchair
1998 Redundant - Green Day
1999 Weir - Killing Heidi
2000 Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
2001 Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
2002 A Little Less Conversation - Elvis vs JXL
2003 United States of Whatever - Liam Lynch
2004 Hey Ya - Outkast (hey, it was a very lean year pop-wise)

The gauntlet lies at your feet.

Paul S
24-03-2005, 10:23 PM
OK, maybe quantity is not the strong suit (although I think your argument breaks down with the likes of Clapton and Dylan) but most have had songs which are stand out anthems for a particular era. For example...
(to pick 10 off the top of my head)

Stairway to Heaven
Brick in the Wall
Layla
Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Under the Bridge
Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Blister in the Sun
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Are you saying every one of the songs in your top 40 are better these 10 songs?

I had overlooked some of these songs. Most of them would be in my "top 100" and 2 of them that I had previously overlooked (Brick In The Wall and Take a Walk on The Wild Side) I think I would probably include in a revised top 40 (although I'm not sure which two songs of my existing Top 40 would have to go)!

OK, lets stick to pop (not my favourite gendre) and force a spread over years. My suggestion is to go to the ARIA End Of Year SINGLES charts (Top 50 or 100) and pick one song from each year. From al the charts available (1988-2004). No picking an artist more than once and then we can compare apples with apples.

The ARIA end of year charts can be found here...

http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts.htm

My list is here. And I apologise in advance. I had no idea until I was part way through that there is so much crap in the ARIA charts. However, if you are a Black Eye Peas fan you should have no problems (for one song anyway).

I accept your challenge! Yes, you are right, there certainly IS a lot of crap in there!!!

Anyway, here is my list!

1988 - Faith by George Michael (we agree!!!)
1989 - Eternal Flame by The Bangles
1990 - Hold On by Wilson Phillips
1991 - Rhythm of My Heart by Rod Stewart
1992 - Life Is A Highway by Tom Cochrane
1993 - December 1963 (Oh What A Night) by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons (Note: this was a hit by them in 1976, but appeared at #14 in 1993 - looks like not much happened musically in 1993)!
1994 - Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Sringsteen
1995 - Gangstas Paradise by Coolio
1996 - How Bizzare by OMC
1997 - Tubthumping by Chumbuwamba
1998 - Sweetest Thing by U2 (was surprised to see this here in 1998 at #55 - I had thought Sweetest Thing was released around 1990)
1999 - Believe by Cher (best of a lean year for pop music!)
2000 - Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus
2001 - Drops of Jupiter by Train
2002 - Get The Party Started by Pink
2003 - Hey Ya by Outkast (quite a lean year - I had to dig up Hey Ya which was #61 on the 2003 list!)
2004 - Scar by Missy Higgins

Anyway, must be off now and get some sleep - big day tomorrow - I'm off to the Doeberl!

Garvinator
25-03-2005, 01:53 AM
i would say for top songs that part of the criteria is that the song changed the way music was seen or had a dramatic effect on the performers to come.

I notice that both of you didnt include Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. No Thriller either by Michael Jackson and clearly the real slim shady didnt stand up for you.

I am not sure I could come up with a list, but if asked by someone, ill give it ago.

Having a few ABBA songs in the list I think is fair enough, considering even in this day and age a company was recently willing to pay 1 billion dollars to have them reunite to perform a television type concert.

In my opinion, that would be a good deal for the tv company.

Libby
25-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Sorry Paul, couldn't accompany you on any long car trip (maybe not even a short one) where you have control of the CD player. :doh:

Rincewind
25-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I notice that both of you didnt include Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. No Thriller either by Michael Jackson and clearly the real slim shady didnt stand up for you.

Bohemian Rhapsody is largely over-rated IMHO. It was a pop groups attempt at prog rock which by missing the mark entirely almost created a new gendre. ;)

I think Michael Jackson contribution to pop music is more in the area of choreography and video. He's songs are good without a doubt and very polished but it is their visual presentation which really sets them apart. The song Thriller is not his best but you will notice a Jacko cover made its way onto my list.

Rap and hip hop was an area I didn't tackle at all in keeping with the pop theme. I do have some favourite songs in that area but as Paul didn't include any I suspect the closest thing to a rap song in his collection to be Blondie. There were a few Eminem tracks in the Top Singles charts but not many and none of real note. You will also notice classical music and several modern gendres not covered like electronic, metal and goth.

Rincewind
25-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Sorry Paul, couldn't accompany you on any long car trip (maybe not even a short one) where you have control of the CD player. :doh:
:lol:

In my case it would be a saftey issue as I might fall asleep at the wheel. ;)

I am not sure I could come up with a list, but if asked by someone, ill give it ago.

The ARIA pop chart challenge is open to all comers.

Kevin Bonham
25-03-2005, 12:43 PM
A problem that always comes up with lists like this is that some people use "top" in the context "personal favourite" and some people use "top" in the context "greatest". Lists of the latter type are invariably pretentious piffle and I have long thought that the world could solve all future energy crises by generating electricity by burning all music magazines containing "top 100 songs of all time" lists.

If one is using "top" in the context "favourite" why not include multiple choices by the same act? Not too long ago I did a top 100 (not in order) somewhere and it included something like eighteen songs by the Church and their various side-projects.

No intelligent human being should claim hit status as evidence of a list of songs being "objectively" any good at all. Hit status is a measure of short-term sales success and many songs that are successful in the short term are irritating fads or contrived commercial junk.

I too attempted Barry's challenge but gave up in despair after finding a few years where I could not find one single song I would publicly admit to even recognising let alone considering average. Happy to compare apples to apples but not when some of the apples are rotten. (Actually there have been a few years when I've paid very little attention to pop music.)

A couple of years ago I played an all-time favourite ten songs and waffled about them as a guest on a local radio show called "Championship Vinyl". At the moment I feel like posting a current favourite fifteen songs of all time, with the proviso of no repeated artists, so here goes:

1. Treacher Song - Suspiria
2. New Dawn Fades - Joy Division
3. Driven Like The Snow - The Sisters Of Mercy
4. The News From Spain - Al Stewart
5. Sealine - The Church
6. Howling Wind - Graham Parker
7. Beasley Street - John Cooper Clarke
8. A Stroke Of Luck - Garbage
9. In Liverpool - Suzanne Vega
10. Ballad Of A Thin Man - Bob Dylan
11. Thirst - "Fields Of The Nephilim"
12. Jam Jar Jail - Therapy?
13. No Reprise - Manuskript
14. Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen
15. This Train Will Be Taking No Passengers - Augie March

Garvinator
25-03-2005, 12:43 PM
The ARIA pop chart challenge is open to all comers.
i prefer to play in invitation only events :P :P ;)

Rincewind
25-03-2005, 02:37 PM
A problem that always comes up with lists like this is that some people use "top" in the context "personal favourite" and some people use "top" in the context "greatest". Lists of the latter type are invariably pretentious piffle and I have long thought that the world could solve all future energy crises by generating electricity by burning all music magazines containing "top 100 songs of all time" lists.

I think my sense of top was not completely personal as most of my personal favourites of those years did not appear in the top selling singles list. I guess it was a hybred of what I liked and what seemed to strike some chord in the population as a whole. I tend to think in terms of "anthems" rather than personal songs. For example The Libertines "What a Waster" is one of my favourite songs of all time but I'd probably not include it in any list of the top songs of all times, how ever something like London Calling, which I was less personally affected by, probably would make the list.

If one is using "top" in the context "favourite" why not include multiple choices by the same act? Not too long ago I did a top 100 (not in order) somewhere and it included something like eighteen songs by the Church and their various side-projects.

I just think the results are less interesting. You need some rules which force you to think about songs other than those by bands you worship, I think.

No intelligent human being should claim hit status as evidence of a list of songs being "objectively" any good at all. Hit status is a measure of short-term sales success and many songs that are successful in the short term are irritating fads or contrived commercial junk.

True, sometime it is due to a song being really good. But all to often (especially lately) it is just marketing. :(

I too attempted Barry's challenge but gave up in despair after finding a few years where I could not find one single song I would publicly admit to even recognising let alone considering average. Happy to compare apples to apples but not when some of the apples are rotten. (Actually there have been a few years when I've paid very little attention to pop music.)

:( I too had a lot of trouble finding a song that I recognised. I did recognise a few song names though that people have told me that I never heard before. I'm thinking of repeating the challenge with triple j's hottest 100 lists for the last 10 years.

A couple of years ago I played an all-time favourite ten songs and waffled about them as a guest on a local radio show called "Championship Vinyl". At the moment I feel like posting a current favourite fifteen songs of all time, with the proviso of no repeated artists, so here goes:

5. Sealine - The Church

A few quirky choices here (not so well known songs of a few well known artists). In the top 100 of all time polls that triple j run from time to time (the last was 1998) I'm a little surprised to see Love Will Tear Us Apart do quite well. It topped the list in the early 90's by the time the 98 pool was run it had dropped to 16 but still with a huge following obviously.

Paul S
25-03-2005, 03:11 PM

No need to worry - I don't have a CD player in my car! :lol: ;) Do you allow your husband control of your car's CD player? He seems to have similar musical tastes to me.

BTW, why aren't you at the Doeberl today? Would be nice to meet you in person - hope to see you sometime over the Easter break!

P.S. Posts that require a more detailed response (eg Rincewind) will probably have to wait till I get back to Sydney (I'm posting from the reception area of my hotel which has only one computer available for internet access for its customers and charges $1 per 10 minutes - although cost is not so much the problem - rather its shortage of $1 coins to put in the coin slot and other hotel guests wanting to use this computer).

Libby
25-03-2005, 05:15 PM
No need to worry - I don't have a CD player in my car! :lol: ;) Do you allow your husband control of your car's CD player? He seems to have similar musical tastes to me.

BTW, why aren't you at the Doeberl today? Would be nice to meet you in person - hope to see you sometime over the Easter break!

P.S. Posts that require a more detailed response (eg Rincewind) will probably have to wait till I get back to Sydney (I'm posting from the reception area of my hotel which has only one computer available for internet access for its customers and charges $1 per 10 minutes).

Yes Paul, my husband would probably approve although would like some Dire Straits in there and does like his War of the Worlds CD too.

Perhaps I like to maintain an air of mystery ;)

Libby

PS Not having a CD player in your car must be handy - most of that stuff could have been mouldering in your collection since before they were invented :P Ok - that's mean. I remember my eldest once referring to my vinyl collection as "Mummy's big CDs."

jase
25-03-2005, 05:32 PM
By limiting ourselves to the ARIA charts, at least we have some structure, and a little common ground. I tend to listen to a lot of Jack Johnson/John Mayer/Colplay/John Bulter Trio indie genres, but I like my pop/rock too, so here goes:

2004 Zebra - John Butler Trio
2003 Your Body is a Wonderland - John Mayer
2002 A Little Less Conversation - Elvis vs JXL
2001 Amazing - Alex Lloyd
2000 Beautiful Day - U2
1999 Smooth - Santana and Rob Thomas
1998 Life - Des'ree
1997 Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
1996 Wonderwall - Oasis
1995 Mouth - Merril Bainbridge
1994 All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow
1993 Easy - Faith No More
1992 Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
1991 Rush - Big Audio Dynamite
1990 Suicide Blonde - INXS
1989 We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel
1988 Desire - U2

'89 was probably the hardest year for me to identify songs that I loved; 2003 was the easiest - I had lots of favorites in that chart and found picking just one difficult. Good fun though.

Libby
25-03-2005, 05:53 PM
None of you are quite catering to my Aussie music bias. I'd have to include some Paul Kelly, Hunters & Collectors, Saints, Go-Betweens, Nick Cave, The Triffids, Weddings Parties Anything, George, Jet, John Butler Trio, Pete Murray, Missy Higgins, Whitlams, Eskimo Joe, Church, (Libby wanders off to check CDs she's forgotten) Badloves, Black Sorrows ...

Not exclusively, but in generalising (as I like to do ;) ) I'm pretty keen on the home-grown stuff. Sorry Kevin, you're a little too left of centre for me on most of those selections (I hate admitting not having heard of many of them).

From High School days still like to listen to U2, Simple Minds, Lloyd Cole, Style Council (Paul Weller generally) and some Icehouse stuff (did like the Whitlam's cover of Don't Believe Anymore). I think it was my era of fancying pretentious lyrics in songwriting. :eek: I've managed to leave Abba and Duran Duran behind.

From my parent's era (just like to age a couple of you) - not that they listened to them - I like The Band, Bob Dylan, Mamas & the Papas, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors. Unfortunately my parents graduated from Ricky Nelson to Rod Stewart and from Frank Sinatra to Neil Diamond and it was the record collections of their friends that I was borrowing to tape on the good old cassete player! Although "My Way" at my Dad's funeral was a bit of a teary moment - perhaps just remembering the rather awful tape he had made of himself singing it in one of those Gold Coast recording booths.

Do think I could travel with RW. What I don't know from his list, I imagine I might be interested in listening to :) Oh - except George Michael - that's a :sick:

Libby
25-03-2005, 06:12 PM
And how can any of you leave off Tainted Love by Soft Cell? :owned:

Now that was a great track!

Or does it just evoke those happy 80s high school disco memories?

Rincewind
25-03-2005, 07:02 PM
None of you are quite catering to my Aussie music bias. I'd have to include some Paul Kelly, Hunters & Collectors, Saints, Go-Betweens, Nick Cave, The Triffids, Weddings Parties Anything, George, Jet, John Butler Trio, Pete Murray, Missy Higgins, Whitlams, Eskimo Joe, Church, (Libby wanders off to check CDs she's forgotten) Badloves, Black Sorrows ...

Could I add The Cruel Sea to that list? And given the hints as to your teenage musical tastes I'm going out on a limb and say you might have had a Model's album in your collection at one stage too (James Freud era, of course).

Paul S
25-03-2005, 08:06 PM

5. Sealine - The Church

I must be out of touch! I haven't heard of any of these songs (although I know some of the artists)!

eclectic
25-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I must be out of touch! I haven't heard of any of these songs (although I know some of the artists)!

you haven't heard of "ballad of a thin man" ?

from whence do you think my custom title originates?

eclectic

http://bobdylan.com/songs/thinman.html

Libby
25-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Could I add The Cruel Sea to that list? And given the hints as to your teenage musical tastes I'm going out on a limb and say you might have had a Model's album in your collection at one stage too (James Freud era, of course).

Yes! to the Cruel Sea!! and yeah, OK did like the Models. And even had a Kids in the Kitchen "single." Those were the days ...

WhiteElephant
25-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Here are my selections. I should probably add that I am in my 30s and like a mixture of classic (rock) and modern (dance) music. I also listen to a lot or R&B so hopefully there is not too much bias towards any particular genre.

I tried to select songs which were most influential and recognisable for each year, though in a couple of years I had an overwhelming personal favourite which took priority over the 'biggest' song.

2004 So Beautiful - Pete Murray
2003 In Da Club - 50 Cent
2002 Get The Party Started - Pink
2001 Stan - Eminem
2000 Never Be the Same Again - Mel C & Lisa Lopes
1999 Smooth - Santana (jase you have good taste!)
1998 Pretty Fly 4 A White Guy - The Offspring
1997 Breathe - The Prodigy
1996 California Love - 2Pac
1995 Zombie - The Cranberries
1994 Shoop - Salt 'N' Pepa
1993 Cat's In The Cradle - Ugly Kid Joe (loved the original too)
1992 Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers - My Favoutite Song of All Time!! Followed closely by Alive - Pearl Jam
1991 Rush - Big Audio Dynamite (jase you have Excellent taste)
1990 Ride On Time - Black Box
1989 All I Want is You - U2
1988 Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer

W.E.

PS Just watching the Grammys, first time I've heard this song Heaven by Los Lonely Boys - Excellent Song.

WhiteElephant
25-03-2005, 09:28 PM
5. Sealine - The Church

Kevin I am sorry to say you have exactly the same taste as my paranoid manic-depressive ex-flatmate. :) I would wake up some mornings to Joy Division and friends thundering from the tape player. GRRRR

I do agree with your choices of Bob Dylan, Leanard Cohen and Garbage. Love nearly everything those 3 have ever done.

W.E.

Edit: Just read over this and it sounds as if I am knocking Kevin's taste - that wasn't my intention - just reliving some memories-best-forgotten through those songs.

Kevin Bonham
26-03-2005, 03:31 AM
A few quirky choices here (not so well known songs of a few well known artists).

I'm an albums person. I don't see why a song being the best-known by a band means it will be the one I will most like. Often it just means it was the most suitable for mass consumption, or sometimes it was just recorded when the band was at their most marketable. The Church are middle-aged and recording music that is artistically way more advanced than the stuff they had hits with, but no matter how artistically brilliant it is it will not sell. As Steve Kilbey put it himself in one of his songs recently "the better I make it, the worse that I do."

I have an ongoing tirade against my local goth club night (at which I have DJ'd) because certain of the DJs treat Joy Division as if "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was the only song they ever recorded and flog it to death playlist in, playlist out. That sickens me because there was so much more to the band than that and LWTUA is an excellent song that deserves serious listening and not just ritualised oldies dancefloor-filler status.

By the way, I think it's really sad that JJJ canned those top 100 of all time polls and went over to spoonfed annual top 100s from its own playlist. It was the beginning of the end for me listening to said station.

Kevin I am sorry to say you have exactly the same taste as my paranoid manic-depressive ex-flatmate.

Exactly? If he was paranoid and manic-depressive I'm betting he would have loved the Smiths, who I have a love-to-hate attitude towards.

The Church are my favourite band. I love the Go-Betweens and their side-projects. I find Nick Cave sometimes very impressive and sometimes vaguely annoying (the gospel flirtation left me cold; the world has one Leonard Cohen already). I mildly like the Hunters and the Black Sorrows. I actively dislike John Butler and am exceedingly bored by Jet and George and mildly bored by stuff like Paul Kelly and WPA. (Some may not be aware that another band I included on my list, Augie March, are Australian.)

Sorry Kevin, you're a little too left of centre for me on most of those selections (I hate admitting not having heard of many of them).

Several were by goth bands that virtually no-one has heard of.

The whole idea of having personal favourites is to be left-of-centre in my view. I don't list them to tell people they should listen to stuff I like; I do it to say "this is where I come from".

And how can any of you leave off Tainted Love by Soft Cell?

Now that was a great track!

It wasn't bad.

For a cover. :P

I must be out of touch!

No, I am. Deliberately so. Best place to be with the rancid state of most commercial and "alternative" musics these days. Hide in the underground for another decade or two in the vain hope all the rubbish will one day blow over, but with the singles charts being largely driven by teenagers there's not much hope of that.

WhiteElephant
26-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Kevin, I am curious to know your stance on The Cure. I have some goth friends that love them and others who think they are too commercial. Also, what is your favourite Cure song?

auriga
28-03-2005, 01:34 PM
surely one or two reggae toons would make your top 40?!
(maybe bob marley or ub40)...

favorite additions would be:

papua new guinea by future sound of london
insomnia by faithless
renegade snares by omni trio

Davidflude
28-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I was at the Doctor's one and saw a magazine called Vanity Fair with Elvis Costello's top 100 albums of the twentieth century. I was somewhat stunned in that not only did he pick lots of great pop albums but also-

Richard Strauss - Rosenkavalier
four last songs - the song summer is often given as the
best classical song of the twentieth
century

Miles Davis - multiple albums made the list - I think "Kind of blue" and
"sketches of Spain"

Ornette Coleman - that really surprised me as he is right on the edge and
difficult

Eric Dolphy - Out to lunch - Eric played with Miles and Coltrane and
Mingus and was very good, in fact my favourite jazz
musician

Coltrane - Curiously not "A love Supreme" which is something else.

I cannot remember all he listed but think that he may have listed Pablo Casals playing the Elgar Cello Concerto"

I remember that he did not list Rodriguez "Concerto de Arajuez" played by Julian Bream

Davidflude
28-03-2005, 07:13 PM
A minor (in my opinion rock and roller) said "You can't always get what you want'
by the Rolling Stones was a near perfect pop song.

Big clues - He has lots of short stories published by "The New Yorker" and "The
Atlantic Monthly" The title of a book of his short stories is the same as one of his albums.

He topped the non-fiction book list and fiction list in New York the same week.

Anyone wkow who he is?

Davidflude
28-03-2005, 07:17 PM
The best three live concerts I ever went to were

1) Janet Baker - absolutely magic English Mezzo Soprano.

2) Bob Dylan -enough said.

3) Daniel Barenboim and Jacqueline Du Pres. What happened to her was so awfull
it makes me believe in Hubris in the ancient Greek sense.

Davidflude
28-03-2005, 07:26 PM
A minor (in my opinion rock and roller) said "You can't always get what you want'

Atlantic Monthly" The title of a book of his short stories is the same as one of his albums.

Anyone wkow who he is?

Rincewind
28-03-2005, 07:39 PM

Anyone wkow who he is?

David, any reason you posted the same question, with the same spelling mistake, 13 minutes apart and with another post in-between?

eclectic
28-03-2005, 07:39 PM

"I do know what my songs are about. Some are about four minutes, some are about five, and some, believe it or not, are about eleven or twelve." - Bob Dylan

;)

eclectic

Davidflude
28-03-2005, 07:47 PM
These are not necessarily in order

"The Girl can't help it" Movie stars Jayne Mansfield Tom Ewell and all manner of
1950's rock and rollers. Colonel Tom Parker wanted $50,000 dollars so Elvis Presley was not in the film. Some of the people in this movie were major influences on the English guy's of the 1960's. It has been released in Australia on DVD.

"La Bamba" Making a movie about someone who only had three hits takes some doing.

"A hard days night" In my opinion better than

"Help" both with the Beatles.

"Almost Famous" This movie was so original, had so much class and Kate Hudson.

King Creole "The only decent movie made by Elvis Presley. The trouble was that MGM discovered that bad Elvis movies cost less to make and grossed more than good Elvis movies.

I have not seen the Ray Charles Biopic although I liked it when he asked the guy who played him in the movie to play a piece by Thelonius Monk and he had trouble.

ursogr8
28-03-2005, 07:49 PM
David, any reason you posted the same question, with the same spelling mistake, 13 minutes apart and with another post in-between?

Baz

Try the third explanation I posted in #61 on the football thread earlier today.

starter

Kaitlin
28-03-2005, 08:46 PM
my top 'one' song is...
Spongebob and patrick confront the psykic wall of energy - Flaming Lips circa 2004

Kevin Bonham
28-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Kevin, I am curious to know your stance on The Cure. I have some goth friends that love them and others who think they are too commercial.

Firstly, the Cure are not even remotely goth. That is not an opinion, it is, as the author of song #6 on my list above likes to put it, a description of reality.

I think both the things you mentioned of them at different phases in their career - they're a real mixed bag. I think "Pornography" was a brilliant album, "Disintegration" a very good one, and the rest ranges from mildly interesting to abysmally lame. In the 90s their singles got so bad that I stopped buying their albums at all and I still haven't got around to getting the supposedly decent ones since then (eg "Bloodflowers") secondhand.

Also, what is your favourite Cure song?

"Charlotte Sometimes". There is some ancient personal baggage involved in that pick, otherwise it might be "The Hanging Garden".

I was at the Doctor's one and saw a magazine called Vanity Fair with Elvis Costello's top 100 albums of the twentieth century. I was somewhat stunned in that not only did he pick lots of great pop albums but also-

Elvis Costello has extraordinarily broad taste.

Saw him live here last November. An excellent performance, he was on stage for two and a quarter hours and still seemed completely passionate about singing stuff from 25 years ago.

When and where? Dylan gigs are notorious for their variation in quality - he must have done several of the greatest gigs in rock history but he's also done some real shockers. The one time I saw him he was drunk for two-thirds of the show.

Don_Harrison
28-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Grrrr, you philistines.

1969 - They Call it Stormy Monday (John Mayall - vocals/organ, Eric Clapton (16yo) aka Slowhand- guitar, Jack Bruce - bass, Hughie Flint - drums).

26 January 1790 - Cosi Fan Tutte, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Rincewind
28-03-2005, 10:39 PM
When and where? Dylan gigs are notorious for their variation in quality - he must have done several of the greatest gigs in rock history but he's also done some real shockers. The one time I saw him he was drunk for two-thirds of the show.

I'd hope so. I've only seen him the once and it was one of the worst gigs I've seen. He was almost catatonic.

Davidflude
29-03-2005, 01:58 AM
A sheila I know went to the Atamont (or is it Atamount) event. Apparently
everything was awfull.

Another went to a concert by Joe Cocker in Auckland which was really dreadfull.

Davidflude
29-03-2005, 02:20 AM
The lists seem a little light on the black artists. Just for starters :-

what about all the Tamla Motown groups.

Aretha Franklyn

Sam Cooke

Tina Turner

Labelle (Lady Marmalade still gets played on the radio and their version has much more
bite than the version in "Moulin Rouge")

WhiteElephant
29-03-2005, 10:06 AM
The worst concert I've ever been to was an Australian band called 1927 - remember them? Exactly!

The best would have to be a tie between a Pink Floyd Concert in the early 90s (don't remember the year) and the Billy Joel/ Elton John concert - there were 2 pianos on stage which they played for long stretches at a time (no vocals) with screens showing close ups of their fingers playing. Great stuff.

Libby
29-03-2005, 01:57 PM
The worst concert I've ever been to was an Australian band called 1927 - remember them? Exactly!.

I remember them, not fondly, but I think the other half may have the album. :eek:

The best would have to be a tie between a Pink Floyd Concert in the early 90s (don't remember the year) and the Billy Joel/ Elton John concert - there were 2 pianos on stage which they played for long stretches at a time (no vocals) with screens showing close ups of their fingers playing. Great stuff.

Was that Billy & Elton at the SCG? I was there! Bought the tickets for my husband then remembered I was going to be about 8 months pregnant at the event. So after a long (& uncomfortable) drive I get to the concert (and I'm not a great fan remember) and get to sit in some far too small plastic chair with my somewhat hefty husband on one side and a great big woman on the other and I was crammed into a position that was extremely uncomfortable for a pregant woman (sorry Kevin, I am playing the "pregnant" card but you really can't possibly know what that's about - it is not like being a trifle overweight!)

At intermission I do the expectant lady waddle to the disgusting porta-loo and wait in a nice long queue for that!

Am feeling tearful & exhausted by the end of the concert (OK - I was an expectant sook). Then find it is almost impossible to get a taxi at the SCG because nobody waits in a line or anything, they just knock you over in their haste to steal the one you've just flagged down. I think I would have given birth there had the nice chinese taxi driver not told some others to "get lost" as he was picking up the pregnant lady. Might I say, as a pregnant lady who has 10lb babies - it was obvious to every rude schmuck there exactly what condition I was in!

My husband thought the concert was great though ...

WhiteElephant
29-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Was that Billy & Elton at the SCG? I was there! Bought the tickets for my husband then remembered I was going to be about 8 months pregnant at the event. So after a long (& uncomfortable) drive I get to the concert (and I'm not a great fan remember) and get to sit in some far too small plastic chair with my somewhat hefty husband on one side and a great big woman on the other and I was crammed into a position that was extremely uncomfortable for a pregant woman (sorry Kevin, I am playing the "pregnant" card but you really can't possibly know what that's about - it is not like being a trifle overweight!)

At intermission I do the expectant lady waddle to the disgusting porta-loo and wait in a nice long queue for that!

Am feeling tearful & exhausted by the end of the concert (OK - I was an expectant sook). Then find it is almost impossible to get a taxi at the SCG because nobody waits in a line or anything, they just knock you over in their haste to steal the one you've just flagged down. I think I would have given birth there had the nice chinese taxi driver not told some others to "get lost" as he was picking up the pregnant lady. Might I say, as a pregnant lady who has 10lb babies - it was obvious to every rude schmuck there exactly what condition I was in!

My husband thought the concert was great though ...

I went to the one at the MCG (I'm in Melb) Sorry you had so much going on which detracted from the concert. The one in Melb was packed out as well but I felt it all added to the atmosphere.

I was expecting Billy Joel to be singing all his 90s cheesy pop songs but he did many of his earlier 70s piano-driven stuff which is what made the concert really memorable. Elton is ahways great :)

rob
29-03-2005, 03:31 PM
1) Dancing Queen by Abba
3) Desperado by The Eagles
4) Nights on Broadway by the Bee Gees
5) Just The Way You Are by Billy Joel
6) December 1963 (Oh What A Night) by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
7) We Will Rock You by Queen
8) Something In The Air by Thunderclap Newman
9) Cracklin’ Rosie by Neil Diamond
10) Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band
11) Waterloo by Abba
12) Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
13) Born to be Alive by Patrick Hernandez
14) (Remember the days of the) Old School Yard by Cat Stevens
15) Daniel by Elton John
16) Sweetest Thing by U2
17) Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann (and his Earth Band)
18) Hard Rock Café by Carole King
19) A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
20) My Happiness by Powderfinger
21) All by Myself by Eric Carmen
22) The Best Disco In Town by The Ritchie Family
23) Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
24) Tiny Dancer by Elton John
26) Material Girl by Madonna
27) Sailing by Rod Stewart
28) Twist and Shout by The Beatles
29) Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond
30) Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley
31) Working Class Man by Jimmy Barnes
32) Jive Talkin’ by The Bee Gees
33) You’ll Never Walk Alone by Gerry and the Pacemakers
35) Jump by Van Halen
36) Island Home by Christine Anu
37) Scar by Missy Higgins
38) Ring Ring by Abba
39) Tubthumping by Chumbuwamba
40) Mickey by Toni Basil

Of your top 17 I've got most of them and those I don't have I like. I only got into the BeeGees after getting engaged to Nat and now alongside Abba are my favourite group.

19 was a favourite song for a while. I've heard great versions of 2 & 33 many times sung by the 'Shed Boys' at Perth Glory.

For the top 40 I'd include: Atomic by Blondie, Amazing by Alex Lloyd, San Francisco days by Chris Isaac, Don't pay the ferryman by Chris DeBurgh, Smells like team spirit by Nirvana, Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for fears.

I'd also select songs from: Dido, Duran Duran, ELO, Johnny Cash, Leo Sayer, Madness, Mamas & Papas, Offspring, Starship, Tammy Wynette.

WhiteElephant
29-03-2005, 03:33 PM
All this debate about greatest songs has got me thinking about it from a different angle. What about greatest artists? I don't see a problem with more than one song by a particular artist being included in an all-time Top 40 when the artist is good enough to produce 2 (or more) great songs.

Using the following criteria:

1) Quality of songs (ranked by popularity)
2) Pop culture impact
3) Longevity

Here are the artists which I believe are the artists of my generation (I was born in 1979):

George Michael
Madonna
Michael Jackson

The artists of the current/ next generation will be (prediction):

Robbie Williams
Gwen Stefani

W.E.

BFG
29-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I went to the one at the MCG (I'm in Melb) Sorry you had so much going on which detracted from the concert. The one in Melb was packed out as well but I felt it all added to the atmosphere.

I was expecting Billy Joel to be singing all his 90s cheesy pop songs but he did many of his earlier 70s piano-driven stuff which is what made the concert really memorable. Elton is always great :)

Getting out of the MCG is nothing like getting out of the SCG. A full house at the G (90k) can clear in about an hour as there is copious quantities of public transport available (ie trains, buses and trams). The SCG has bugger all public transport available even though the capacity is far smaller (40k). It is a nightmare to get out of there if there is a big crowd at either the SCG or the SFS (and hell if there are big crowds at both).

On a musical note, I did see the SCG concert and it was excellent. The crowd singing along to Piano Man was special (to steal a Bruce-ism).

Libby
29-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Here are the artists which I believe are the artists of my generation (I was born in 1979):

W.E.

Nobody should be allowed to post this! It's far too much information for me!

WhiteElephant
29-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Nobody should be allowed to post this! It's far too much information for me!

OMG...I hadn't read over my post and didn't realise I'd made a typo. It should be 1972 - Freudian typo? I'm in my 30s I'm afraid :(

Libby
29-03-2005, 07:18 PM
OMG...I hadn't read over my post and didn't realise I'd made a typo. It should be 1972 - Freudian typo? I'm in my 30s I'm afraid :(

That's a little better. I've decided it's most unfair that my internal 25-year-old spots a (not quite) 40 year old in the mirror. I just blinked one day and there it was :eh:

BTW - are you sure it was a typo? They're not so close on my keyboard ;)

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2005, 10:41 PM
It should be 1972

Good year, that one. ;)

Recherché
30-03-2005, 06:36 PM
OK, first thing I'll say is that musically I still consider myself to be exploring. There's a LOT I haven't heard yet that I'm sure I'll love. I only really got into listening to music seriously in the last few years, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

My favorites change with my mood, so I can't rank music terribly effectively, but here are some pieces worth mentioning that I haven't seen mentioned already:

Jupiter - Gustav Holst (never pass up an opportunity to see a good orchestra do The Planets live):

The section in the middle of this piece is perhaps the most beautiful pure musical arrangement I have ever encountered. It often makes me cry. So much for "The Bringer Of Jollity". :D

Rhapsody In Blue - George Gershwin

Bells For Her - Tori Amos:

Other noteworthy Tori tracks include "Raspberry Swirl" and "Cornflake Girl". There's a lot of her stuff I haven't heard yet. I also like quite a few of her covers, including her rendition of Bob Geldof's "I Don't Like Mondays" and the Lloyd Cole (?) song "Rattlesnakes". I hear she's also covered Smells Like Teen Spirit, and I'm very intrigued, but I've never heard it, nor seen the Crucify EP for sale anywhere (except on the net).

Momentum - Aimee Mann:

She has also done a great cover of "One". Both are from the Magnolia soundtrack. The instrumental version of "Nothing Is Good Enough" is another highlight, and better than the one with vocals (which is still a good song).

Sly - Massive Attack

Thank You - Dido:

This isn't actually a great song, but I mention it because it's a bit of a musical tragedy. The verses are brilliant, the chorus is really rather bad. Sampled very effectively in "Stan", as well.

Isobel - Björk:

Also "Enjoy" and her rendition of "It's Oh So Quiet". Post was a very good album.

Inflammatory Writ - Joanna Newsom:

A recent folk singer from the US. Plays the harp and sings in quite an interesting way that I think many people would hate. This song is unapologetically silly and a lot of fun.

Twisted - Joni Mitchell:

I've only just scratched the surface of Joni. I'm not really sure what I think of her yet. I really like this particular song though. It's probably the best from Court and Spark.

Every You Every Me - Placebo:

Probably their greatest hit, though I never listened to them until recently so I'm not really sure. A good example of the "continuous" song which can be very effective when done well.

MC Frontalot (http://frontalot.com/music.html) - Indier Than Thou:

I can't wait until his musical abilities (or his ability to make use of that talent in others) begin to catch up with his writing talent. This particular track makes fun of Hip-Hop clichés, as do several others such as "Crime Spree", "Braggadocio" and "I Heart Fags".

(no KB, no homophobia here)

And last, but certainly not least...

Hello Birmingham - Ani DiFranco:

I am a huge fan of "the little folksinger". This song is one of her masterpieces. I could list 30 songs of hers here that I love, but I won't. A remarkable, prolific, and quite diverse career so far, with no end in sight. Her last three albums have been a bit leaner than most of her others, but there are still gems to be had.

Changes - David Bowie

I really like this song, but I'm not 100% sure if I've heard the original Bowie version. I guess I must I have, but I can't recall it in detail.

Shaddap Your Face - Joe Dolce

Hah, legendary song that one! It has been voted worst song of all time, too. :D

How Bizarre - OMC

Wow. I'd completely forgotten about that song. It's really quite annoying. :P

Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus

Really infectious, though not ultimately a great song.

Beautiful Day - U2

That was a good album (all that you can't leave behind), but not a single song on it really "shined" for me.

1) Dancing Queen by Abba

Abba is a once-guilty pleasure of mine, and in fact my first ever CD (back in '94) was "ABBA Gold", but I think "Lay All Your Love On Me" and "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" are better songs than that one. :)

Abba is more sophisticated musically than they seem at first glance.

Good song, but they have so many better than it.

Edit: Guess I should mention some...

Here Comes The Sun
Yesterday
Norwegian Wood

Those are just the first few that come to mind. I still haven't heard all their stuff.

Thumbs down.

Go Dusty! I'll mention Windmills of Your Mind. Although I actually prefer the version from the soundtrack of the original Thomas Crown Affair movie.

An excellent choice. I am not familiar with most of the others.

Stairway to Heaven

I like this song, but it has never seemed quite as great as many say it is. Maybe you have to play guitar to really get it?

That song has a great clip.

Smells Like Teen Spirit

I was a little too young to catch Nirvana the first time around. I may never quite understand the resonance they had at the time. Neverless, I think this song is a masterpiece, and I'd definitely have it in my top 10, let alone top 40.

1995 Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue

I really dislike that song. And the clip.

1996 Wonderwall - Oasis

They never quite lived up to this song, did they? I can't actually remember how it goes, but I'm sure it would be familiar if I heard it.

2001 Stan - Eminem

One of his few great musical achievements. That guy is undeniably talented, but (from my point of view) he wastes it spectacularly.

1997 Breathe - The Prodigy

First heard this one at year 10 camp, shortly after it came out I think. Played insanely loud. I've been fond of it ever since, though for the most part I don't like their stuff.

1995 Zombie - The Cranberries

I'm glad somebody mentioned this; it's another great song. I love singers with distinctive voices.

Hide in the underground for another decade or two in the vain hope all the rubbish will one day blow over, but with the singles charts being largely driven by teenagers there's not much hope of that.

Hmm. Are you sure it's not the singles charts driving the teenagers? After all, you can't develop a taste for different kinds of music without first being exposed to them. I think people have generally better taste than they're given credit for, it's just that companies out to make an easy buck never bother to make an effort to introduce people to unfamiliar, surprising, or innovative music.

Good year, that one. ;)

Yeah, just ask Nixon. ;)

Kevin Bonham
31-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Bells For Her - Tori Amos:

I picked up the album that's on secondhand for a mere $5 recently and was quite impressed with it. The only other one I've heard was her debut.

Momentum - Aimee Mann:

I have two Aimee Mann albums, "I'm with Stupid" and "Lost in Space". The latter is exceptional and I mean to get around to finding more of her work, but it's really hard to get here without ordering in (shudder!) or ebaying. One of those artists whose albums sell quickly in low quantities and then are never seen second hand because nobody wants to part with them.

First got into her music through that of her husband, Michael Penn, a quirky post-Dylan/Beatles songwriter type whose work I am very much into.

Hmm. Are you sure it's not the singles charts driving the teenagers?

True.

antichrist
31-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I dare not look at this thread cause will make me puke but this is my contribution.

To the tune of

I'M A BELIEVER
Gods are only true in fairy tales,
Then for someone else but not for me,
Reason was out to get me
No matter how I tried
Scepticism and doubts on your superstition,
Than I studied philosophy
Now I'm not a believer
I couldn't believe if I tried.

Recherché
31-03-2005, 06:34 PM
I picked up the album that's on secondhand for a mere $5 recently and was quite impressed with it.

For anyone wondering, the album in question is called "Under The Pink"

I have two Aimee Mann albums, "I'm with Stupid" and "Lost in Space". The latter is exceptional and I mean to get around to finding more of her work, but it's really hard to get here without ordering in (shudder!) or ebaying. One of those artists whose albums sell quickly in low quantities and then are never seen second hand because nobody wants to part with them.

I found "Bachelor No. 2" very cheap at JB HiFi. I'm pretty sure they have that chain in Tas too, though obviously stock would vary by store. It's a good album, though personally I prefer the Magnolia soundtrack, which overlaps with "Bachelor No. 2" somewhat, so you may not want to get them both.

First got into her music through that of her husband, Michael Penn, a quirky post-Dylan/Beatles songwriter type whose work I am very much into.

Hmm, I shall note the name.

this is my contribution.

That's not a contribution. It's basically just spam. You have issues (http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_27.php). Can't you leave your tiresome anti-religion posts out of completely unrelated threads?

antichrist
01-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Can't you leave your tiresome anti-religion posts out of completely unrelated threads?[/QUOTE]

It's certainly in my Top 40 so in-thread, would you prefer Silent Night it's probably in PaulS's Top 40

Rincewind
01-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Can't you leave your tiresome anti-religion posts out of completely unrelated threads?

It's certainly in my Top 40 so in-thread, would you prefer Silent Night it's probably in PaulS's Top 40[/QUOTE]

The Simon and Garfunkel version? It's a good song, but not top 40 material.

Best S&G song of all time would be between I am a Rock, The Boxer and The Sounds of Silence. Never been a big Bridge Over Troubled Waters/Cecilia/Mrs Robinson fan. A personal favourite of mine is At the Zoo - love those quirky lyrics.

Recherché
01-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Best S&G song of all time would be between I am a Rock, The Boxer and The Sounds of Silence. Never been a big Bridge Over Troubled Waters/Cecilia/Mrs Robinson fan. A personal favourite of mine is At the Zoo - love those quirky lyrics.

At the Zoo is an excellent song. You didn't mention "America", which many would consider one of their greatest songs. The Sound of Silence is probably my favorite, though sometimes it grates on me musically. Seems to be a mood thing. I wonder how many people don't realise how political it is? I never really payed attention to the lyrics until I re-discovered the song a few years ago upon purchasing a Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits collection.

antichrist
02-04-2005, 08:34 AM
To compensate for my previous heretic diatrobe here we go:

Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life,
I've got the hungries for your love and I'm waiting in the welfare line,
She got the ring and I got the finger,
You can't have your Kate and Edith too,
They may put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breaking out.

Davidflude
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
The Neville Brothers are giving a concert next week in Melbourne. I am temped to go. What thought's everybody?

Davidflude
02-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I have found several sites which give all manner of music lists. You can all find them for yourselves and make your own opinion on how good that they are.
Remember even lists supposedly based on sales are often wildly wrong.

Some personal opinions.

The first great burst of Rock and roll ran from about 1954 to about 1959. Between 1960 and 1964 there was not very much. The great period of the music ran from 1965 and began to peter out in the mid 70's. Sure there were great bands after this but nothing like the deluge of astonishing albums of the period
65 -75.

I suspect that once again the music industry is in a flat spot. Meanwhile out there playing in someone's middle class parent's garage, in a grotty urban ghetto, maybe in a shack on a bayou, Or maybe somewhere totally surprising is a group that will rip the music world apart. Watch for the following symptons of their music.

1) young teenagers will love it.

2) parents will hate it.

3) the Christian wowsers will condemn it.

4) The goups personal appearances will be chaotic.

5) their concerts will be like a riot in a juvenile prison.

Paul S
02-04-2005, 05:25 PM
The best three live concerts I ever went to were

1) Janet Baker - absolutely magic English Mezzo Soprano.

3) Daniel Barenboim and Jacqueline Du Pres. What happened to her was so awfull
it makes me believe in Hubris in the ancient Greek sense.

My best 5 would be:

1) "The Best Disco In Town" at Sydney Entertainment Centre in 2004. Went for 3.5 hours and had 5 good artists from the late 70's and eraly 80's each singing about 6 of their best hits (Gloria Gaynor, Village People, KC + Sunshine Band, Boney M and Erol Brown from Hot Chocolate). Also had a good support band (ABBA cover band Abbalanche).

2) Neil Diamond 2005 at Homebush Superdome (I've commented on this concert in another thread).

3) Elton John circa 1986 at Sydney Entertainment Centre.

4) Neil Diamond 1996 at Sydney Entertainment Centre.

5) Elton John and Billy Joel circa 1995 at Sydney Cricket Ground (looks like quite a few other Chess Chat regulars were there too!).

Paul S
02-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Of your top 17 I've got most of them and those I don't have I like. I only got into the BeeGees after getting engaged to Nat and now alongside Abba are my favourite group.

19 was a favourite song for a while. I've heard great versions of 2 & 33 many times sung by the 'Shed Boys' at Perth Glory.

For the top 40 I'd include: Atomic by Blondie, Amazing by Alex Lloyd, San Francisco days by Chris Isaac, Don't pay the ferryman by Chris DeBurgh, Smells like team spirit by Nirvana, Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for fears.

I'd also select songs from: Dido, Duran Duran, ELO, Johnny Cash, Leo Sayer, Madness, Mamas & Papas, Offspring, Starship, Tammy Wynette.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You have great taste in music! Its great to see that some other chess players/organisers have excellent cultured musical tastes like me. :D ;)

I hope you will post your top 40 on here - I look forward to reading it!

Paul S
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
All this debate about greatest songs has got me thinking about it from a different angle. What about greatest artists? I don't see a problem with more than one song by a particular artist being included in an all-time Top 40 when the artist is good enough to produce 2 (or more) great songs.

Using the following criteria:

1) Quality of songs (ranked by popularity)
2) Pop culture impact
3) Longevity

George Michael
Madonna
Michael Jackson

The artists of the current/ next generation will be (prediction):

Robbie Williams
Gwen Stefani

W.E.

Using your criteria my top 3 would be:

1) The Beatles
2) Abba
3) Elton John

I was going to do a "top 5", but found it too hard to select a 4th and 5th. Take your pick from Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, Beach Boys and Elvis Presley!

Paul S
03-04-2005, 05:40 PM

My top 5 Simon And Garfunkel songs in order are:
1) Sounds of Silence
2) Bridge Over Troubled Water
3) I am A Rock
4) Homeward Bound
5) Cecilia

Alan Shore
03-04-2005, 05:48 PM
How about "Feelin' Groovy"? :rolleyes: That was a smoking it song.

WhiteElephant
07-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I see that Tori Amos has just announced an Australian tour. I hear she is one of the best modern live acts, might have to save up my $110 to go.

PS. Feeling Groovy by S&G is Awesome. But nevertheless I much prefer Paul Simon's solo stuff to S&G.

Rincewind
07-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I see that Tori Amos has just announced an Australian tour. I hear she is one of the best modern live acts, might have to save up my $110 to go.

Yes, I saw her at the State Theatre in Sydney more than 10 years ago now I think. But well worth the ticket cost.

Recherché
07-04-2005, 10:25 AM
How about "Feelin' Groovy"? :rolleyes: That was a smoking it song.

He was feeling groovy after smoking it?

WhiteElephant
07-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Legendary Paul Simon songs:

Kodachrome
Loves Me Like a Rock
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
Mother And Child Reunion
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

And my favourite:

You Can Call Me Al

JohnH
07-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Don't forget Graceland! :)

Recherché
07-04-2005, 05:39 PM
The whole Graceland album is pretty good, but nothing on it stands out as brilliant (for me).

You Can Call Me Al is probably my favorite track, and hence my favorite from Simon's solo stuff, since I haven't heard much else.

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2005, 06:33 PM
My favourite Paul Simon album is "One Trick Pony". By miles.

I also like the song "American Tune"

And I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees

(etc). Beautiful.

WhiteElephant
07-04-2005, 06:46 PM
My favourite Paul Simon album is "One Trick Pony". By miles.

I also like the song "American Tune"

And I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees

(etc). Beautiful.

I second that.

For me, the primary measure of a quality song is the lyrics. No matter how catchy the tune, mindless lyrics will always let a song down. For example - Desiree's song 'Life'. Could have been one of the greatest songs of all time but how about some of them words!

Paul Simon was one of the best lyricists around.

WhiteElephant
07-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Here it is. All class :)

LIFE

Chorus:
Life, oh life, oh life, oh life,
doo, doot doot dooo.
Life, oh life, oh life, oh life,
doo, doot dooo

I'm afraid of the dark,
'specially when I'm in a park
And there's no-one else around,

Ooh, I get the shivers
I don't want to see a ghost,
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news
(Repeat Chorus)

I'm a superstitious girl,
I'm the worst in the world
Never walk under ladders,
I keep a rabbit's tail

I'll take you up on a dare,
Anytime, anywhere
Name the place, I'll be there,
Bungee jumping, I don't care!
(Repeat Chorus)

life, doo, doot dooo
doo, doot dooo

So after all is said and done
I know I'm not the only one
Life indeed can be fun, if you really want to

Sometimes living out your dreams,
Ain't as easy as it seems
You wanna fly around the world,
In a beautiful balloon
(Repeat Chorus)

Paul S
08-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Legendary Paul Simon songs:

Kodachrome
Loves Me Like a Rock
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
Mother And Child Reunion
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

And my favourite:

You Can Call Me Al

I largely agree with White Elephant's selection.

My top 5 Paul Simon songs (hey, he's a "Paul S" too!) in order are:
1) Mother And Child Reunion
2) You Can Call Me Al
3) Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
4) Loves Me Like a Rock
5) 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2005, 01:24 AM
For me, the primary measure of a quality song is the lyrics.

Lyrics are very important to me too. They don't have to be incredibly literate but some kind of clue and effort is always appreciated.

There are a few cases of bands I like whose lyrics I find quite shoddy on the whole. For instance I quite like New Order but any one of their recent albums will have several horribly forced or silly lines I'll want to throw up all over.

Those Desiree lyrics are spectacularly bad, among the very worst I've seen, and that is saying something. I'm astonished!

WhiteElephant
08-04-2005, 12:02 PM
There are a few cases of bands I like whose lyrics I find quite shoddy on the whole. For instance I quite like New Order but any one of their recent albums will have several horribly forced or silly lines I'll want to throw up all over

I have to admit I like an old Australian band called Mental As Anything and some of their lyrics are terrible and many of their songs only have one verse repeated 2 or 3 times.

WhiteElephant
08-04-2005, 12:10 PM
In Russia (where I was born) and in many non-English-speaking parts of Europe, the writers of songs are given nearly equal billing as the singers. At live shows, an announcer will read out the name of the writer of the lyrics and the writer of the music. Same credit is given in music videos.

Many people have highly successful and respected careers as music writers. This is difficult in Australia and America unless you are also a performer.

Libby
08-04-2005, 07:02 PM
My top 5 Simon And Garfunkel songs in order are:
1) Sounds of Silence
2) Bridge Over Troubled Water
3) I am A Rock
4) Homeward Bound
5) Cecilia

Hmmm....

Can I choose instead

Kathy's Song
For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
America
The Boxer
Hazy Shade of Winter

Libby
08-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Other noteworthy Tori tracks include "Raspberry Swirl" and "Cornflake Girl". There's a lot of her stuff I haven't heard yet. I also like quite a few of her covers, including her rendition of Bob Geldof's "I Don't Like Mondays" and the Lloyd Cole (?) song "Rattlesnakes". I hear she's also covered Smells Like Teen Spirit, and I'm very intrigued, but I've never heard it, nor seen the Crucify EP for sale anywhere (except on the net).

Yes, Rattlesnakes is a Lloyd Cole song - a very "busy" lyricist (much recommended by me :) )

Jode wears a hat although it hasn't rained for six days
she says a girl needs a gun these days
hey on account of all the rattlesnakes
she looks like Eva Marie saint in On the Waterfront
she reads Simone de Beauvoir in her american circumstance
she is less than sure if her heart has come to stay in San Jose
and her neverborn child still haunts her
as she speeds down the freeway
as she tries her luck with the traffic police
out of boredom more than spite
she never finds finds no trouble she tries too hard
she's obvious despite herself

Very keen also on "Perfect Skin" , "Lost Weekend", "Jennifer She Said" and "Forest Fire."

Paul S
09-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Hmmm....

Can I choose instead

Kathy's Song
For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
America
The Boxer
Hazy Shade of Winter

You can choose whatever you like! ;)

Paul S
10-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Some good news for Barry (Rincewind) and other Billy Joel fans! ;) :lol:

Today at my local shopping centre (Roselands) I saw something that I had been wanting to see for a long time - a single CD containing Billy Joel's Greatest Hits of his 30-odd year career!

It's called "Piano Man - The Very Best Of Billy Joel" and conatins 19 of his best hits.

For quite a while I've had "Billy Joel Greatest Hits Volumes I, II and III" (42 tracks in total), but I've always found it a nuisance having to pause and fast-forward (and change CDs) to listen to his best tracks.

There are 15 great songs on it - Tell Her About It, Uptown Girl, Don't Ask Me Why, Piano Man, The River Of Dreams, It's Still Rock and Roll To Me, We Didn't Start The Fire, My Life, She's Always A Woman, An Innocent Man, Movi'n Out, Only The Good Die Young, All About Soul, Honesty and Just The Way You Are.

Damn, if only they would have replaced the other 4 tracks (New York State of Mind, Goodnight Saigon, She's Got A Way and Scandinavian Dreams) with songs like Keeping the Faith, Say Goodbye To Hollywood, Allentown and I Go To Extremes it would be an almost perfect CD!

Still, I can't complain - its not too often that a CD comes out that has 15 songs of its 19 being great songs - I can live with that. Anyway, no more having to pause and fast-forward (and change CDs) to listen to his best tracks.

Sorry Barry - I was thinking of giving you my Billy Joel Volumes I, II and III now that I have this new CD. However, there are a few good songs on them that are not on his new CD (Keeping the Faith, Say Goodbye To Hollywood, Allentown and I Go To Extremes, The DownEaster Alexa, Captain Jack, Pressure and You're Only Human (Second Wind), so I think I'll hang onto them for the time being! ;) :P :lol:

WhiteElephant
10-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Some good news for Barry (Rincewind) and other Billy Joel fans! ;) :lol:

Today at my local shopping centre (Roselands) I saw something that I had been wanting to see for a long time - a single CD containing Billy Joel's Greatest Hits of his 30-odd year career!

It's called "Piano Man - The Very Best Of Billy Joel" and conatins 19 of his best hits.

For quite a while I've had "Billy Joel Greatest Hits Volumes I, II and III", but I've always found it a nuisance having to pause and fast-forward (and change CDs) to listen to his best tracks.

There are 15 great songs on it - Tell Her About It, Uptown Girl, Don't Ask Me Why, Piano Man, The River Of Dreams, It's Still Rock and Roll To Me, We Didn't Start The Fire, My Life, She's Always A Woman, An Innocent Man, Movi'n Out, Only The Good Die Young, All About Soul, Honesty and Just The Way You Are.

Damn, if only they would have replaced the other 4 tracks (New York State of Mind, Goodnight Saigon, She's Got A Way and Scandinavian Dreams) with songs like Keeping the Faith, Say Goodbye To Hollywood, Allentown and I Go To Extremes it would be an almost perfect CD!

Still, I can't complain - its not too often that a CD comes out that has 15 songs of its 19 being great songs - I can live with that. Anyway, no more having to pause and fast-forward (and change CDs) to listen to his best tracks.

Sorry Barry - I was thinking of giving you my Billy Joel Volumes I, II and III now that I have this new CD. However, there are a few good songs on them that are not on his new CD (Keeping the Faith, Say Goodbye To Hollywood, Allentown and I Go To Extremes, The DownEaster Alexa, Captain Jack, Pressure and You're Only Human (Second Wind), so I think I'll hang onto them for the time being! ;) :P :lol:

I have: Billy Joel. The Ultimate Collection which is a 2 CD Set containing most of the songs on Vols 1-3. It unfortunately does not include Keeping The Faith which is one of my favourite Billy Joel songs. Instead, I have a separate copy of the Innocent Man CD which has Keeping The Faith and some other great songs not featured in most collections like Easy Money and Leave a Tender Moment Alone.

Rincewind
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Sorry Barry - I was thinking of giving you my Billy Joel Volumes I, II and III now that I have this new CD. However, there are a few good songs on them that are not on his new CD (Keeping the Faith, Say Goodbye To Hollywood, Allentown and I Go To Extremes, The DownEaster Alexa, Captain Jack, Pressure and You're Only Human (Second Wind), so I think I'll hang onto them for the time being!

Haven't you got a CD burner? Just burn the tracks you want in what ever order you want and listen to your 'backup'. This may be a breach of copyright but since you actually own the original media of the tracks you are rearranging, it is no worse than taping a cd to listen to in the car and you are unlikely to get prosecuted for it.

Paul S
10-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Haven't you got a CD burner? Just burn the tracks you want in what ever order you want and listen to your 'backup'. This may be a breach of copyright but since you actually own the original media of the tracks you are rearranging, it is no worse than taping a cd to listen to in the car and you are unlikely to get prosecuted for it.

I don't have a CD burner (and I don't have a CD player in my car, either).

I tell you what, Barry. Knowing how much you LOVE Billy Joel, you can have my Vol I, II and III Billy Joel CDs if you burn the 23 good tracks (15 from his latest CD and the other 8) I mentioned in my post. :owned:

:hmm: Actually, make it 25 tracks to burn. After looking at White Elephant's post, you can add Easy Money and Leave a Tender Moment Alone to the list. :lol: :clap:

Thanking you in advance. :P ;) :lol:

Rincewind
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM

Well you should get one - they are cheaper than a ticket to a Billy Joel concert. And I didn't mention playing CDs in your car (please re-read my post) I said, "taping a cd to listen to in the car".

Thanks for the free CD offer but I already have too many Bily Joel CDs. :) (i.e. one - Songs In The Attic).

Paul S
11-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Well you should get one - they are cheaper than a ticket to a Billy Joel concert.

A CD burner may well be cheaper than a Billy Joel concert, but it would not be as enjoyable!

And I didn't mention playing CDs in your car (please re-read my post) I said, "taping a cd to listen to in the car".

:rolleyes: You certainly seemed to imply it!

Thanks for the free CD offer but I already have too many Bily Joel CDs. :) (i.e. one - Songs In The Attic).

Songs in The Attic is not one of his better CDs - there only appear to be 2 good songs on it - Captain Jack and Say Goodbye to Hollywood.

It is your loss to decline such a great offer - you have missed your chance to have some great Billy Joel songs to listen to all day long! :P :lol:

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 12:25 AM
A CD player may well be cheaper than a Billy Joel concert, but it would not be as enjoyable!

That's a matter of taste but it would have probably saved you the expense of your latest double CD purchase.

:rolleyes: You certainly seemed to imply it!

Not at all. You were the one bemoaning having to flick between tracks on your existing 3 CD compilation. A reburn of your favourite tracks could save you this hassle without the expense of buy a bunch of songs you already own.

Songs in The Attic is not one of his better CDs - there only appear to be 2 good songs on it - Captain Jack and Say Goodbye to Hollywood.

I have always thought Captain Jack rather juvenile and Say Goodbye to Hollywood doesn't do it for me either. As previously mentioned Summer Highland Falls is my favourite. Ballad of Billy the Kid is probably the distant second.

Paul S
11-04-2005, 12:38 AM
That's a matter of taste but it would have probably saved you the expense of your latest double CD purchase.

It was a single CD (ie one CD) that was purchased. :cool:

Not at all. You were the one bemoaning having to flick between tracks on your existing 3 CD compilation. A reburn of your favourite tracks could save you this hassle without the expense of buy a bunch of songs you already own.

:rolleyes: As I pointed out to you previously, I don't have a CD burner!

I have always thought Captain Jack rather juvenile and Say Goodbye to Hollywood doesn't do it for me either. As previously mentioned Summer Highland Falls is my favourite. Ballad of Billy the Kid is probably the distant second.

You have a LOT to learn about how to properly appreciate Billy Joel's music! I will have try to educate you! ;)

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 12:43 AM
If you are into Billy Joel, I will burn your CD's....gladly.......

Paul S
11-04-2005, 12:48 AM
If you are into Billy Joel, I will burn your CD's....gladly.......

Thankyou for your kind offer, Happy Friend. :clap: :D

However, as Barry (Rincewind) has now decided he does not want my 3 Billy Joel Greatest Hits (Vol I, II and III) CDs, it is unneccessary to go down this path.

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Thankyou for your kind offer, Happy Friend. :clap: :D

I think you missed the point. :doh:

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 01:31 AM
I like the Dandy Warhols....I know what people think of them, but I like them! To change the topic slightly,whats your favourite music to have in the headphones when you play tournament chess?

WhiteElephant
11-04-2005, 01:38 AM
I like the Dandy Warhols....I know what people think of them, but I like them! To change the topic slightly,whats your favourite music to have in the headphones when you play tournament chess?

I listen to techno or dance music to get me into a peak performance state.

Anything slow makes me fall asleep and meaningful lyrics are too distracting.

How about yourself? I thought I was one of the very rare chessplayers that listened to music during a game.

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 01:39 AM
whats your favourite music to have in the headphones when you play tournament chess?

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of.

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 01:47 AM
aha.. both of you have interesting and complex tastes.....At the Melbourne Chess Club they listen to Englebert Humperdincks "Please release me" over and over and over and over and over and over

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2005, 01:51 AM

I tend more to agree with Barry on this one. I confess with some trepidation to finding Mr Joel more or less bearable although I do not presently own or desire to own any of his albums. However I find that some of his more obscure songs are quite interesting while some of his most popular ones are rather annoying for various reasons.

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 01:54 AM
If I hear "Uptown Girl" one more time I will pull my own head off!

Libby
11-04-2005, 09:14 AM

I tell you what, Barry. Knowing how much you LOVE Billy Joel, you can have my Vol I, II and III Billy Joel CDs if you burn the 23 good tracks (15 from his latest CD and the other 8) I mentioned in my post. :owned:

:hmm: Actually, make it 25 tracks to burn. After looking at White Elephant's post, you can add Easy Money and Leave a Tender Moment Alone to the list. :lol: :clap:

Thanking you in advance. :P ;) :lol:

Get an MP3 player! Cheapies cost not much more than a CD these days (except for Billy Joel Cds from the Bargain Box I suppose :owned: ). Listen to what you want in the order you want whenever you want.

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
If I hear "Uptown Girl" one more time I will pull my own head off!

I'll pay that one. Also didn't Sydney's Cityrail use the tune of Piano Man in a jingle at one time. I just remember the lyric "Busses and ferries and trains" at the end of the chorus. That was a crime aganist humanity too.

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 05:48 PM
"The Sounds of Goodbye"-Kamal. Truly a horrible song until you find it gets stuck in your head ...truly a definition of "Hell".

Paul S
14-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I might have to revise the first 3 songs from my original Top 40 selections! :lol:

At the moment my top 3 songs are:
1) Billy Don't Be A Hero by Paper Lace
2) Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band
3) Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word by Elton John

:hmm: Why this sudden change from my original "top 3" in my Top 40? :hmm: Could some of the posts in the threads in the "Australian Chess" section of this forum "NSWCA Newsletter" and "NSWCA - One on one with your Prez" have something to do with it? :hmm:

JohnH
14-04-2005, 05:55 PM
My favorite top 3 of the top 40 are

1. On Broadway George Benson
2. Girl from Ipanema Stan Getz/Astrid Gilberto
3. Still Crazy After all these Years Paul Simon