PDA

View Full Version : Longest threads

arosar
08-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I wonder what is our most popular thread ever. Those ChessNinja guys have a thread called The End of the World that ran for 40 pages.

AR

eclectic
08-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I wonder what is our most popular thread ever. Those ChessNinja guys have a thread called The End of the World that ran for 40 pages.

AR

as if you'd need to ask

or

(as AC would say)

ask your mate for a clue about one of the hot contenders for that "dubious" distinction

:whistle:

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
08-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I believe these are the longest threads since this board started at the start of 2004:

699 Olympiad Selections
671 Mt Buller Championships (now locked)
615 How competitive do you want it to be?
602 Who is Chesslover?
586 Check mates he's a multiple winner (quarantined)
582 Olympiad 2004
577 Underrated Juniors
551 Live Games
506 Mt Buller Australian Junior Championships
501 Kramnik-Leko CWCC
498 Cricket
492 Does God Exist?
491 NSWCA AGM

I may have missed any that have been deleted but I do not recall any deleted threads quite that long.

The number of thread views is not a useful popularity stat because when a thread is split the full view count thus far is given to both the offspring.

Bill Gletsos
08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
An interesting feature is that if you click on the post count for a thread it opens a window showing how many posts are in that thread by individual poster.

Alan Shore
08-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Wow that's nothing.. at another forum I go to there was a thread with 1,500 pages!

The title of that thread was '...and it made me smile' where people would post daily happy things.

My value of human life thread is going well, just passed the 300 mark.

antichrist
08-03-2005, 11:05 PM
If all the posts re God's existence were put into on thread it would be a lot larger.

Kevin Bonham
09-03-2005, 01:57 AM
An interesting feature is that if you click on the post count for a thread it opens a window showing how many posts are in that thread by individual poster.

Here it appears very likely that starter's 254 posts on "how competitive do you want it to be?" is the leader by a very long way. The next highest from the threads listed above was your 156 on "underrated juniors", although I'm not certain that's the second highest on the board at total. Amusingly, Dave and Matt's posts on "underrated juniors" (they are second and third on that thread) total 155.

Kevin Bonham
09-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Wow that's nothing.. at another forum I go to there was a thread with 1,500 pages!

The title of that thread was '...and it made me smile' where people would post daily happy things.

Does that forum have a negative thread as well?

On my other main forum the thread for bad stuff about today is 25% larger than the one for good stuff. This is probably because posts on the former tend to attract sympathy posts.

Alan Shore
09-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Does that forum have a negative thread as well?

On my other main forum the thread for bad stuff about today is 25% larger than the one for good stuff. This is probably because posts on the former tend to attract sympathy posts.

Nah, usually for the bad stuff people just make new threads all on their own... and there's countless ones of those. But there's also popular 'Help with xyz' threads.

JGB
09-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Nah, usually for the bad stuff people just make new threads all on their own... and there's countless ones of those. But there's also popular 'Help with xyz' threads.

Yeah I agree, at the other forums where I post it can become very difficult to keep track of proceedings if im away for more than a day. Here it is very tidy in comparison, and our forum groupings are very effective. Thread drift is actually kept to a minimum here. It seems the religion debate is the same wherever you go, some people just love selling the bible, using the forum as a tool to 'spread the word'.

antichrist
09-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah I agree, at the other forums where I post it can become very difficult to keep track of proceedings if im away for more than a day. Here it is very tidy in comparison, and our forum groupings are very effective. Thread drift is actually kept to a minimum here. It seems the religion debate is the same wherever you go, some people just love selling the bible, using the forum as a tool to 'spread the word'.

The difference is that here we have a lot more of the intellectual type, chess attracts them -- we are lucky. You know - ME

JGB
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
The difference is that here we have a lot more of the intellectual type, chess attracts them -- we are lucky. You know - ME

No I wouldnt say that. In general I find Forum users of a similar breed where ever I have ventured. The other sites I frequent are actually far more strict than here, one in particular, the Myrmecology's Message Board has a too strict policy. Spelling mistakes in a post can lead to a deletion of the entire post. :eh: . Thread drift is punished very rapidly, as a matter of fact if it does not pass in a relevant thread your better off not speaking about it. On many forums, discussion about Non-" " threads be, it here Non Chess, is not even accepted. Few boards are as lively as here ! :)

Spiny Norman
09-03-2005, 07:02 PM
It seems the religion debate is the same wherever you go, some people just love selling the bible, using the forum as a tool to 'spread the word'.

Not sure who's doing it here ... but I don't think it was me. <checks threads started by self> ... nope, all chess-related, except for the Tsunami one back around Christmas and that was an exceptional circumstance.

Now I've participated in plenty just for fun, I'll admit to that, but wouldn't complain in the slightest if "religious chat" got banned. Would probably save me a heap o' reading time.

Maybe someone should identify the top 10 "religious" threads and out the initiators? :eek:

Rincewind
09-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Not sure who's doing it here ... but I don't think it was me. <checks threads started by self> ... nope, all chess-related, except for the Tsunami one back around Christmas and that was an exceptional circumstance.

Now I've participated in plenty just for fun, I'll admit to that, but wouldn't complain in the slightest if "religious chat" got banned. Would probably save me a heap o' reading time.

Maybe someone should identify the top 10 "religious" threads and out the initiators? :eek:

It may have been exceptional but it did have a religious flavour. Also the one and zeros thread was a non-chess thread instigated by you which you have forgotton.

BTW look back the last couple of pages of recent religious threads instigators have been: Dion, Freddy, Paul S, antichrist, DR and yourself. In some cases that may be being unfair as some threads started as thread splits.

I don't know if I started any off my own bat but I suppose I am responsible for splitting some religious threads out on their own.

Spiny Norman
09-03-2005, 07:31 PM
It may have been exceptional but it did have a religious flavour.

In my defence I offer that it was topical, and that it didn't go down that religious path (I believe that I specifically commented on that at the time and requested that it not head in that direction ... and it didn't ... it was much more a science-based enquiry).

Also the one and zeros thread was a non-chess thread instigated by you which you have forgotton.

Wasn't that long ago either, I should have examined the search list more carefully. Its a fair cop, that one. I shall refrain in future (unless I come up with something amusing to keep you all occupied for a while ... I have to find a distraction to stop you all noticing me getting flogged by AC in the correspondence game!).

WhiteElephant
09-03-2005, 09:33 PM

I believe there is a statistical correlation between high IQ and depression hence the absence of a 'you make me smile' thread around here. Pity, because it sounds like a great thead.

antichrist
09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I believe there is a statistical correlation between high IQ and depression hence the absence of a 'you make me smile' thread around here. Pity, because it sounds like a great thead.

Not necessarily depressed more, just more serious. We don't need to fill in the mental gaps, except this silly BB, which I am getting off now because I have recovered.

Kevin Bonham
10-03-2005, 02:47 AM

I'd put the lack of such a thread down more to this BB being largely chess-related with the non-chess section a sideshow. It doesn't really have that much of the chatty fluff-type culture you get on other BBs, although a little of that is developing.