PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the 2005 AFL Premiership?

Pages : [1] 2

Alan Shore
05-03-2005, 04:18 PM
The season will soon be underway. It's interesting to note that in the pre-season competition, of the four teams into the semi-finals only West Coast made the finals last year, the other three teams still in being Carlton, Western Bulldogs and the Kangaroos. Do we take pre-season seriously or is it just a fun comp with little bearing on the season to come? If we take a look at last year, we'll notice that St. Kilda defeated Geelong in the Wizard GF. Both teams had a poor 2003 season yet both made the 2004 Preliminary Finals and were mighty impressive.

Regardless, it will be another great season of our game - voted the most popular game in our 'footy codes' poll.. Australian Rules Football 2005, who shall hold up that Premiership Cup come September?

Garvinator
05-03-2005, 04:20 PM
The season will soon be underway. It's interesting to note that in the pre-season competition, of the four teams into the semi-finals only West Coast made the finals last year, the other three teams still in being Carlton, Western Bulldogs and the Kangaroos. Do we take pre-season seriously or is it just a fun comp with little bearing on the season to come? If we take a look at last year, we'll notice that St. Kilda defeated Geelong in the Wizard GF. Both teams had a poor 2003 season yet both made the 2004 Preliminary Finals and were mighty impressive.

Regardless, it will be another great season of our game - voted the most popular game in our 'footy codes' poll.. Australian Rules Football 2005, who shall hold up that Premiership Cup coem September?
no poll?

Alan Shore
05-03-2005, 04:22 PM
no poll?

Wtf? There is a poll... scroll to the top of the page.

Oepty
05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I just voted for Adelaide, as a bit of joke more than anything else seeing I am a supporter. I have heard of some people picking Adelaide to finish bottom which I think is very brave considering the home ground advantage they should have and the quality of the midfield with Riccuito, Goodwin, McLeod and a few others.
Scott

Garvinator
05-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Wtf? There is a poll... scroll to the top of the page.
i was too quick to look at the thread, it didnt have a poll when i looked ;)

Alan Shore
05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh no.. in my haste I misspelled Carlton.. can a mod please fix that up for me?

JGB
05-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh no.. in my haste I misspelled Carlton.. can a mod please fix that up for me?

Sorted mate,... the price was only a small one to pay. ;)

Alan Shore
05-03-2005, 11:57 PM

JGB, I can still delete this entire thread and start again... don't make me do it, cos I will....!!!!

eclectic
06-03-2005, 12:00 AM

now the way i figure is that the bold type will make a certain team heavier than the others meaning that by the end of the home and away fixtures it will have sunk to the bottom thus winning the wooden spoon

correct ?

;)

eclectic

ps

come on! who removed the bold type and thus the reason for my post?

JGB
06-03-2005, 12:01 AM
JGB, I can still delete this entire thread and start again... don't make me do it, cos I will....!!!!

what? what? ...what are you guys talking about? :whistle:

:lol:

Trent Parker
06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
sydney sydney sydney (biased, Biased, biased) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan Shore
06-03-2005, 01:24 AM
A great showing from the Navy Blues tonight, washing away their opposition by 51 points. This sets up a good match between Carlton and West Coast in the Wizard Grand Final next weekend. Go the Blues!

arosar
07-03-2005, 03:33 PM
What's this I hear the AFL exporting this game to SA? That's SA = South Africa. How does that work - Australian Football League South Africa?

AR

Trizza
07-03-2005, 03:56 PM
A great showing from the Navy Blues tonight, washing away their opposition by 51 points. This sets up a good match between Carlton and West Coast in the Wizard Grand Final next weekend. Go the Blues!

Go the Eagles!

Haven't really been following the pre-season as I don't think it means much.
However, I will give the grand final a look.

West Coast's coach John Worsfold has given the impression that the pre season is relatively unimportant, rotating his top players. However, this hasn't hurt the results and I think now they are in the grand final, the Eagles will bring out all their big guns together next weekend.

As for Carlton, they seem to be continuing their improvement from last year, so it should be a good match.

Garvinator
07-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Go the Eagles!

Haven't really been following the pre-season as I don't think it means much.
However, I will give the grand final a look.

West Coast's coach John Worsfold has given the impression that the pre season is relatively unimportant, rotating his top players. However, this hasn't hurt the results and I think now they are in the grand final, the Eagles will bring out all their big guns together next weekend.

As for Carlton, they seem to be continuing their improvement from last year, so it should be a good match.
where is the match being played? i will back the home team regardless. I think it is in melbourne :uhoh:

That would indicate that west coast have got 'good' strength of players across the park, which is a must for regular wins, but i want to see them win on the road regularly before i start saying they can win the premiership. Or better still, each team plays each other twice in a fair competition, so melbourne sides at least have to travel interstate six times during the competition.

In my opinion, ditch the wizard cup and go 30 rounds you slackers :lol: :lol:

Grendel
07-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Youse blokes r a hoot! The Swans to win the grand final, youse gotta be kiddin right? :wall: :wall: :wall:

Garvinator
07-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Youse blokes r a hoot! The Swans to win the grand final, youse gotta be kiddin right? :wall: :wall: :wall:
the only way the swans will win the gf is if they bore their opposition to death :(

JGB
07-03-2005, 09:12 PM
What's this I hear the AFL exporting this game to SA? That's SA = South Africa. How does that work - Australian Football League South Africa?

AR

Why not?
They have the AFLD - Australian Football League of Deutschland (Germany)
and the AFLB - .... of Belgium, and I think the Danes have a league too now.
It just takes time mate, boys will be boys ... eventually! ;)

Alan Shore
07-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Why not?
They have the AFLD - Australian Football League of Deutschland (Germany)
and the AFLB - .... of Belgium, and I think the Danes have a league too now.
It just takes time mate, boys will be boys ... eventually! ;)

Great to see the game spreading overseas! They had a Japan vs. New Zealand game a few months ago too.

We could go international yet!

Rhubarb
08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Youse blokes r a hoot! The Swans to win the grand final, youse gotta be kiddin right? :wall: :wall: :wall:Now, now, Grendel, I've been through this exhaustively with starter.

If us Sydneysiders deign to take an interest in AFL when we're not watching superior type codes, we're only interested in the Swans, OK? And besides, if people were actually voting for who they thought would win rather than who they want to win, how come not one of nine votes so far has gone to reigning premiers Port Adelaide?

And another thing, the Swans have been highly competitive in pre-season, despite missing more than half their best team due to injuries. I'd say they're practically favourites for the Flag. :clap:

Grendel
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Now, now, Grendel, I've been through this exhaustively with starter.

If us Sydneysiders deign to take an interest in AFL when we're not watching superior type codes, we're only interested in the Swans, OK? And besides, if people were actually voting for who they thought would win rather than who they want to win, how come not one of nine votes so far has gone to reigning premiers Port Adelaide?

And another thing, the Swans have been highly competitive in pre-season, despite missing more than half their best team due to injuries. I'd say they're practically favourites for the Flag. :clap:

Maybe we should call you Cyclops?

JGB
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Perhaps this thread should be titled "Which Football Club Do You Support", because it's pretty obvious readers only pick their own favourite team, or better "Which Team Do You Dream Will Win The 2005 Premiership" ... sorry sydneysiders :whistle:

ursogr8
08-03-2005, 09:37 AM
^

JGB
Not me..........I support Essendon.......but they are not premiership hopes this year. I voted elsewhere.

starter

Alan Shore
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
^

JGB
Not me..........I support Essendon.......but they are not premiership hopes this year. I voted elsewhere.

starter

Really? I was sure you had a soft spot for the SAINTS, starter.

Last year I voted for the Brisbane Lions and I was nearly correct. This time however I really believe Carlton are in with a chance after watching them play Wizard Cup, thus I voted for them.

I mean come on.. Sydney? Adelaide? Collingwood? NO CHANCE.

BFG
08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
And besides, if people were actually voting for who they thought would win rather than who they want to win, how come not one of nine votes so far has gone to reigning premiers Port Adelaide?

Because we all hate Port Adelaide and the master of whinge - Mark Williams.

Garvinator
08-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Because we all hate Port Adelaide and the master of whinge - Mark Williams.
bfg- your wrong :P

Rhubarb
08-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Really? I was sure you had a soft spot for the SAINTS, starter.So was I, although come to think of it he never came out and said as much. I'm a bit distraught, actually: I think my good mate starter's gone on put me on ignore for unseemly behaviour or something.

I mean come on.. Sydney? Adelaide? Collingwood? NO CHANCE.In that case, BD, you won't mind letting me name my price on a bet will you? How about 500/1 about the Swans?

ursogr8
08-03-2005, 04:10 PM

Last year I voted for the Brisbane Lions and I was nearly correct. This time however I really believe Carlton are in with a chance after watching them play Wizard Cup, thus I voted for them.

I mean come on.. Sydney? Adelaide? Collingwood? NO CHANCE.

My mate follows SAINTers, and given the unfriendly (for me) time that Essendon plays, and the usual case that Essendon games are a sell-out at premium prices, then most times we go to
a) a SAINTers game, or
b) game of the week in Melbourne.

To be a SAINTs supporter you have to be a SAINTs supporter. To be a Essendon supporter you have to be an Essendon supporter. You can't be both. You could of course be a band-waggoner who gets excited when a particular team wins but goes missing when they lose. But that is not a supporter.
This year SAINTers just have to win the Premiership given that Fraser Gehrig can only hold it mentally for one more try. The team that feels its time is come is often the one who prevails come September. My feeling is that only a small number of teams feel as though they are owed one by GOD in 2005.
Geelong, & St Kilda are in that category. Three teams are probably better equipped than these...WCE, Brisbane, and PA. But may be two are self-satsified at the moment. Write your own ticket on the rest.

So was I, although come to think of it he never came out and said as much. I'm a bit distraught, actually: I think my good mate starter's gone on put me on ignore for unseemly behaviour or something.
In that case, BD, you won't mind letting me name my price on a bet will you? How about 500/1 about the Swans?

I think I have explained the SAINter link previously...no secrets here.
How could anyone ignore kegless and his new avatar?
I may have been a bit quiet today.......have been trying to learn the words of the Rugby League anthem they have released as an advertising come-on. :uhoh:

Alan Shore
08-03-2005, 04:48 PM
So was I, although come to think of it he never came out and said as much. I'm a bit distraught, actually: I think my good mate starter's gone on put me on ignore for unseemly behaviour or something.
In that case, BD, you won't mind letting me name my price on a bet will you? How about 500/1 about the Swans?

Hehe.. I don't think you'll ever find any team with odds that bad. I'm also not really in a position to be a bookie, so in the extreme unlikely chance that all other 15 teams suddenly came down with the flu that lasts 6 months, I doubt I could cover it.

Still, I'm sure we could find something acceptable.. eg. the loser could always shout the winner a drink. I'll give you a choice: Carlton vs. Sydney on June 4 or pick the team that will finish higher on the ladder.

Rhubarb
09-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Write your own ticket on the rest.I tried to write my own ticket with BD but he wouldn't let me on. Are you a different type of bookie? I don't want to be too greedy so how about $2 on Sydney @ 200/1. I'm sure you'll still be able to make a book. :eek:

Still, I'm sure we could find something acceptable.. eg. the loser could always shout the winner a drink. I'll give you a choice: Carlton vs. Sydney on June 4 or pick the team that will finish higher on the ladder.How about one beer for the June 4 match and two beers for the highest on the ladder. If both teams make the finals we can continue from there. I imagine I'll be collecting up in Brizvegas at the end of the year. :P

ursogr8
09-03-2005, 08:10 AM
I tried to write my own ticket with BD but he wouldn't let me on. Are you a different type of bookie? I don't want to be too greedy so how about $2 on Sydney @ 200/1. I'm sure you'll still be able to make a book. :eek:

hi kegless

Listen mate, it must be one of those regional dialect things. When I say 'write your own ticket", I mean you get to write the odds AND cover the bet. In other words you bet with yourself, if you want to.
The Punters Club is not interested in that particular cellar-dweller.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

starter

Rhubarb
09-03-2005, 08:29 AM
hi kegless

Listen mate, it must be one of those regional dialect things. When I say 'write your own ticket", I mean you get to write the odds AND cover the bet. In other words you bet with yourself, if you want to.
The Punters Club is not interested in that particular cellar-dweller.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

starterAnd here I was just trying to get a bet on to refute the arguments of those unkind souls who theorise that there is only one person in The Punters Club. There is more than person right?

ursogr8
09-03-2005, 08:46 AM
And here I was just trying to get a bet on to refute the arguments of those unkind souls who theorise that there is only one person in The Punters Club. There is more than person right?
Let me refer you to track-work for the gallopers involved.
Data (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=37127#post37127)

This horse is not banned by Karthick.

starter

Libby
09-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Got the Blues shirt on today. Might even have to get the old beanie & scarf out of the dress-ups box to which they were consigned some years ago.

Lance is looking fitter than I ever remember at the start of the season, Nick's skipping the wedding, Kouta is back and Saturday night's alright, alright!

Now I just need to scratch together the foxtel funds and we might even see them play on the telly in Canberra. Our free-to-air coverage has wavered between abysmal to appalling with heavy weighting given to the Swans & other interstate teams :angry: :angry: And we get treated to the complete idiocy of the NRL footy show where every participant makes Sam Newman look like a rocket scientist and rampant feminist. It takes a special effort to hang out for the AFL show some time around midnight.

Alan Shore
09-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Got the Blues shirt on today. Might even have to get the old beanie & scarf out of the dress-ups box to which they were consigned some years ago.

Lance is looking fitter than I ever remember at the start of the season, Nick's skipping the wedding, Kouta is back and Saturday night's alright, alright!

Now I just need to scratch together the foxtel funds and we might even see them play on the telly in Canberra. Our free-to-air coverage has wavered between abysmal to appalling with heavy weighting given to the Swans & other interstate teams :angry: :angry: And we get treated to the complete idiocy of the NRL footy show where every participant makes Sam Newman look like a rocket scientist and rampant feminist. It takes a special effort to hang out for the AFL show some time around midnight.

I've got a Blues beanie and scarf too.. of course there's not much call for their use in the hot climate here but oh well :)

Libby
09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
I've got a Blues beanie and scarf too.. of course there's not much call for their use in the hot climate here but oh well :)

Not so long ago came across my pack of cards from many years ago featuring Mike Fitzpatrick, Bruce Doull, Geoff Southby, David Glascott etc ... those were the days :) My actual guernsey used to see a bit of wear back then (with Glascott's number on it).

ursogr8
09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
^
I am seriously re-considering my vote on 2004 poster of the year. ;)

Libby
09-03-2005, 06:19 PM
^
I am seriously re-considering my vote on 2004 poster of the year. ;)

Surely you can't be so fickle?

Thanks for the vote. It was all rather flattering in a week where I was consigned to bedrest and whinging. I've just had a melanoma removed and half my left calf (slight exaggeration but it did seem like it) had to go too. Anyway, the second lot of pathology is all good so you're stuck with me a little longer :doh:

At least chess is a sunsmart sport :)

ursogr8
10-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Surely you can't be so fickle?

Thanks for the vote. It was all rather flattering in a week where I was consigned to bedrest and whinging. I've just had a melanoma removed and half my left calf (slight exaggeration but it did seem like it) had to go too. Anyway, the second lot of pathology is all good so you're stuck with me a little longer :doh:

At least chess is a sunsmart sport :)

hi Libby

Not so much fickle as rabid.
Essendon supporters will always have the scars from the Preliminary Final loss to Caaaarrrlton in the 1999 season. Only partly assuaged by the focus it gave us in 2000.
I will PM you on the other.

regards
starter

Alan Shore
10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Essendon supporters will always have the scars from the Preliminary Final loss to Caaaarrrlton in the 1999 season.

That was one of the best games I have ever seen!!! I almost didn't care we didn't win the GF as I was so happy we knocked off the Bombers :D

Libby
11-03-2005, 10:20 AM
That was one of the best games I have ever seen!!! I almost didn't care we didn't win the GF as I was so happy we knocked off the Bombers :D

Ahh, happy memories (esp for a child of two Essendon supporters). There's just so much to dislike about the Bombers I hardly know where to start.

ursogr8
11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Ahh, happy memories (esp for a child of two Essendon supporters). There's just so much to dislike about the Bombers I hardly know where to start.

Libby

I see an esp in your quote.
Well, I had extra sensory perception about where all this would lead when I learned you were a Caarrrlton supporter.

What are my chances that A/C knows how to do post-adjustments of polls here? ;) :hmm:

starter

Alan Shore
13-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Da da da da da,
Da da da da da,
Da da da da da da da da da,

We are the Navy Blues
we are the old dark navy Blues
we're the team that never let's you down
we're the only team all Carlton knows.

With all the champions
they like to send us
we'll keep our end up
And they will know that they've been playing
against the famous old dark Blues!

Libby
13-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Da da da da da,
Da da da da da,
Da da da da da da da da da,

We are the Navy Blues
we are the old dark navy Blues
we're the team that never let's you down
we're the only team all Carlton knows.

With all the champions
they like to send us
we'll keep our end up
And they will know that they've been playing
against the famous old dark Blues!

Do you think we can make it a duet!

Roll on the season proper. Will we win it? I still have 2 eyes so I won't quite go out on that limb yet but at least we are starting the year looking like it's possible.

Finally Brendan is living up to his promise, not just living up to the worst Blues hairstyle since Tommy Alvin.

Libby
13-03-2005, 03:46 PM
BTW - need help with the tune (or ready to covert - I've just watched the tape of the Wizard Cup final - quite blissful) try http://www.csc.actebs.com.au/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=MostPopular

And starter - I heard that Matty may have broken his arm? Brings tears to my eyes :owned:

Denis_Jessop
13-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Do you think we can make it a duet!

Roll on the season proper. Will we win it? I still have 2 eyes so I won't quite go out on that limb yet but at least we are starting the year looking like it's possible.

Finally Brendan is living up to his promise, not just living up to the worst Blues hairstyle since Tommy Alvin.

Libby

You should know that no true Carlton supporter even expects the team to win on the day let alone win the flag. :rolleyes: At least that was the philosophy I learnt in the Carlton outer in the 50s and 60s. Did you know that Manning Clark regarded the Carlton outer as a microcsm of Australian society? Alas no more as the outer has disappeared. Still, roll on winter so I can test out my Carlton coach's jacket without dying of heatstroke. :lol:

DJ

Don_Harrison
13-03-2005, 05:46 PM
This poll is largely irrelevant. If you're a one-eyed Geelong fan of course they are going to win the final.

I just work on the ABC principle (Anyone But Collingwood.) :lol:

I was going to replace Collingwood with Carlton but I realised that I would be fronting up against the BB personality of 2004. And that may not be a wise thing to do unless the possibility of getting flamed with rational responses is one's go.

Alan Shore
13-03-2005, 08:08 PM
BTW - need help with the tune (or ready to covert - I've just watched the tape of the Wizard Cup final - quite blissful) try http://www.csc.actebs.com.au/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=MostPopular

And starter - I heard that Matty may have broken his arm? Brings tears to my eyes :owned:

From that site:

High Quality MP3 Carlton Theme Song Popular

This is a much higher quality MP3 version of the club theme song, for those of you with faster connections. Many thanks to The_Orichalcon for this awesome submission...

That's quite a stunning coincidence...! I actually know The Orichalcon on another forum! He's based in Perth and dabbles in music, I have a couple of his mixes on my computer.

ursogr8
18-03-2005, 01:03 PM

BD

Over the past 16 days the AGE newspaper has reviewed the chances of each team for the Premiership. The panel of all journalists (from this paper) placed Hawthorn last at 16.
Today, they revealed St Kilda as the most favoured.

starter

JGB
18-03-2005, 01:08 PM

starter

Boy, I must have been away from Australia a long time. :eek:
I'd put 50$ down to say that the saints are not going to win a flag this year or any year before 2010

ursogr8
18-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Boy, I must have been away from Australia a long time. :eek:
I'd put 50$ down to say that the saints are not going to win a flag this year or any year before 2010

JGB

I started typing that I would cover your bet at 3/1 but then I noticed that you put the currency sign after the numeric; is this a european custom?

starter

JGB
18-03-2005, 01:37 PM
JGB

I started typing that I would cover your bet at 3/1 but then I noticed that you put the currency sign after the numeric; is this a european custom?

starter

50 EUR. at three : one.
1 A$ Buys 0.5915 From the RBA
Fairs Fair?

Bet Exchange rate fixed until Saints win a Premiership (Major) or 01.01.2010

ursogr8
18-03-2005, 02:16 PM
^^
Far too many figures in your post for me, JGB.
It reminds me of one of those Nigerian offers I get frequently.

I plan hedge my position and not take the bet until .... darn, run out of ink on my key-pad.

starter
:uhoh:

JGB
18-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Saint's just arn't up to the task. There is no chance. The bets open to the next taker. 50 whatever you like against the Saints winning a flag before 2010.

ursogr8
25-03-2005, 07:32 PM
BD

Over the past 16 days the AGE newspaper has reviewed the chances of each team for the Premiership. The panel of all journalists (from this paper) placed Hawthorn last at 16.

starter

Ouch. My shoulder hurts. :(

ursogr8
28-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I went to the MCG on Sat. night to see Essendon v Melbourne.
This was the tribute game to the Melbourne guy who got swept away in the Tsunami. Very well behaved crowd of 47,600 observed a full minute's silence before the game. It is quite something to be in a big crowd that falls silent for such a long period of time. I must confess to reflecting on what would happen if a mobile phone sounded during the silence. Fortunately none did; remarkable given that there was probably 20,000 phones with earshot of me.

starter

auriga
28-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I went to the MCG on Sat. night to see Essendon v Melbourne.
This was the tribute game to the Melbourne guy who got swept away in the Tsunami. Very well behaved crowd of 47,600 observed a full minute's silence before the game. It is quite something to be in a big crowd that falls silent for such a long period of time. I must confess to reflecting on what would happen if a mobile phone sounded during the silence. Fortunately none did; remarkable given that there was probably 20,000 phones with earshot of me.

starter

did the essendon team miss the bus or something.
i could see any of them running around...

ursogr8
28-03-2005, 12:41 PM
did the essendon team miss the bus or something.
i could see any of them running around...

Well, well, well, TMM

You have moved from being a packet to being a process, eh?
Probably a repeatable mature process is my guess. ;)

Essendon looked to have only three faults

> No winners in the fwd line
>> no speed in the mid-field
>>> a possession game-plan that seemd to brook no risk.

They looked to be over-coached by assistants.

The players need to be empowered.

regards
starter

ps Can you do the Gladsone Small?
Oops...that is the music man...sorry, just idle thoughts.

pps At least you have reduced the queue list. :uhoh:

auriga
28-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, well, well, TMM

You have moved from being a packet to being a process, eh?
Probably a repeatable mature process is my guess. ;)

Essendon looked to have only three faults

> No winners in the fwd line
>> no speed in the mid-field
>>> a possession game-plan that seemd to brook no risk.

They looked to be over-coached by assistants.

The players need to be empowered.

regards
starter

ps Can you do the Gladsone Small?
Oops...that is the music man...sorry, just idle thoughts.

pps At least you have reduced the queue list. :uhoh:

stml has forked the process so it can multi-task.
the daemon can now bowl straight and have a hilton sister on it's SMS contacts...

hopefully essendon will pick up some more faults as the season progresses.
those you mention seem very minor at this early stage (lack of practise maybe, no showdown with the coach as yet)

meanwhile the swans are basking in a 'warm glow' after yesterdays drubbing.
i've reran my no-fail footy algorithm and it's completely reversed the list as given by the age!

Davidflude
28-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Well this year I shall be buying both Hawthorn membership and Box Hill Hawks membership. Hawthorn need all the support they can get. As far as Hawthorn and Richmond are concerned I keep thinking of a drunk Andy Capp playing pool saying "first one to hit a ball wins"

I live close to the Box Hill ground. The playing field is as big as that at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. As a result ambitious kids want to play for Box Hill as the AFL recruiters can see how well they play on AFL sized grounds. I think that last year Box Hill had the most players drafted from any VFL club .

Here are my comments on the race for the flag.

Saint Kilda - have the skill but do they have the toughness.

Geelong - they should win almost all their home games. (Some good side may win the toss and know which way to play to have the sea breeze behind them in the fourth quarter and therefore win a tight game.) They will win enough away games to get into the top four. They will be brilliant on large grounds come finals time but could get caught ot at the SCG.

Sydney - The only small ground side left in the competition. They will make the finals and win any Sydney games. They could also win at Telstra but wuold struggle on the MCG or Subiaco.

Port - will they have a hangover.

the West coast sides. Their home ground advantage could get either or both into the finals. The Eagle could win the flag.

Melbourne - are a very good running side but any injuries to key position players will make it difficult. I will be interested to see how they go in the wet. A windy wet day at the Western oval could bring them undone.

Brisbane - Still a good side but possibly over the top. If the other sides start hitting back first things could get interesting.

All in all I think that this year the competition is wide open.

ursogr8
28-03-2005, 01:51 PM
<snip>

Here are my comments on the race for the flag.

Melbourne - are a very good running side but any injuries to key position players will make it difficult. I will be interested to see how they go in the wet. A windy wet day at the Western oval could bring them undone.

<snip>

Melbourne playing at the Western Oval could be a very small crowd given that no AFL games are scheduled there anymore. :P

But then again, perhaps you had in mind a significant upgrade of the ground with John Howard's pump-priming money. :uhoh:

An alternative explanation is > the poster is a Kiwi_islander. :rolleyes:

starter

Rhubarb
31-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I see the three Swans voters have been entirely vindicated, with Sydney way out in front on the AFL ladder (http://afl.com.au/?pg=ladder&spg=default). I'll check back here in a few months to see if there's any change, but meanwhile I'll be in the more important footy thread.

auriga
31-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I see the three Swans voters have been entirely vindicated, with Sydney way out in front on the AFL ladder (http://afl.com.au/?pg=ladder&spg=default). I'll check back here in a few months to see if there's any change, but meanwhile I'll be in the more important footy thread.

maybe smh are to blame. they seem to have been talking up the swans' chance of winning the flag the last few weeks. still, top of the table now. :clap:

ursogr8
05-04-2005, 07:22 PM

The space above is left deliberately blank for Libby and BD to post their thoughts on last Friday's match...ESS v Carlton.

Please post soon.........the suspense is more painful than the execution.

tail between my legs,
starter

Rhubarb
05-04-2005, 08:08 PM
^ I caught the final quarter of this match, Starter. You have my sympathy.

Kaitlin
05-04-2005, 08:12 PM
I already said Port Adeliade... and yet im the only one vote for them :hmm:

ursogr8
09-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Unbelievable win by the SWANS over Brisbane in the AFL.
Have the Sydney crew really learnt a new tactic, which in basketball is called taking the air out of the ball, and then scoot home on momentum?

starter

ursogr8
09-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Melbourne defeated Geelong....I tipped this. :)
North Melbourne defeated St Kilda....I tipped this :)
Swans defeated Brisbane.....I didn't tip this :(
Collingwood defeated Carlton....I wish I had tipped this :uhoh:

starter

Davidflude
10-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi Starter guess who I sat next to at the Box Hill game today. Answer on tuesday night.

Spiny Norman
10-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Melbourne defeated Geelong....I tipped this. :)

I hoped for it .... hope against hope (what with this being an odd-numbered year!) .... and lo, and behold, they win.

Go the D's, go you good thing!!! :clap:

ursogr8
10-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Starter guess who I sat next to at the Box Hill game today. Answer on tuesday night.

Fludy........ I didn't know you had a social life mate. ;)
And up with the silk too, watching Box Hill in the....the....the....what is that League called?

Refresh my memory Dave about the moniker of the Box Hill side....the Sparror-hawks from memory.

Now to your invite to guess. I think I will start with a candidate list.

jeff kennett :hmm:
rowena :hmm:
broadz :confused:
matt sweeney :eh:
firegoat7 :clap:
alan bond
the manager of your super funds :rolleyes:
cathy freeman. :doh:
frosty

Listen, Fludy, you could have started a whole new forensic investigation on this bulletin board, my friend.
I think many others might like to join in the challenge.

Hold off telling me next Tuesday....I can contain myself not knowing for a while. I suggest we set a different sunset clause for your challlenge. I suggest you hold it open till 1/4/2006; and then tell me.

regards
starter

Spiny Norman
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
We can cut the list by one .... I haven't been to a game yet this year.

ursogr8
13-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Fludy........ I didn't know you had a social life mate. ;)
And up with the silk too, watching Box Hill in the....the....the....what is that League called?

Refresh my memory Dave about the moniker of the Box Hill side....the Sparror-hawks from memory.

Now to your invite to guess. I think I will start with a candidate list.

jeff kennett :hmm:
rowena :hmm:
broadz :confused:
matt sweeney :eh:
firegoat7 :clap:
alan bond
the manager of your super funds :rolleyes:
cathy freeman. :doh:
frosty

Listen, Fludy, you could have started a whole new forensic investigation on this bulletin board, my friend.
I think many others might like to join in the challenge.

Hold off telling me next Tuesday....I can contain myself not knowing for a while. I suggest we set a different sunset clause for your challlenge. I suggest you hold it open till 1/4/2006; and then tell me.

regards
starter

Fludy's friend at the football was Kevin Sheedy.

Bugger.
Fludy is one-up.

starter

Alan Shore
18-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi starter,

Were you kept in suspense? I thought you might be a little miffed at the Blues beating your team a couple of weeks back, so thought it best to let things simmer.

Not to worry. Essendon are the strongest team in the AFL - they're holding up all the other teams at the bottom of that ladder. ;)

Interesting to note though, if Carlton had managed just one point more, last year's premiers may have been in the Bombers' unfortunate position.

Duff McKagan
19-04-2005, 09:55 AM
I see the three Swans voters have been entirely vindicated, with Sydney way out in front on the AFL ladder (http://afl.com.au/?pg=ladder&spg=default).

Now four of us, Greggy :lol:

ursogr8
19-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi starter,

Were you kept in suspense? I thought you might be a little miffed at the Blues beating your team a couple of weeks back, so thought it best to let things simmer.

Not to worry. Essendon are the strongest team in the AFL - they're holding up all the other teams at the bottom of that ladder. ;)

Interesting to note though, if Carlton had managed just one point more, last year's premiers may have been in the Bombers' unfortunate position.

Thanks BD

My tip on this thread is suddenly looking better. :)

starter

ps I feel better now.

Alan Shore
19-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Now four of us, Greggy :lol:

But don't you go for Hawthorn Duff? ;)

Libby
19-04-2005, 08:28 PM
You can't think I would gloat :owned:

Actually, team form has been very patchy so I was playing safe for a moment.

I am however, devastated (as you might imagine) by the plight of Sheedy and them Bombers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The space above is left deliberately blank for Libby and BD to post their thoughts on last Friday's match...ESS v Carlton.

Please post soon.........the suspense is more painful than the execution.

tail between my legs,
starter

ursogr8
19-04-2005, 09:15 PM
^^

Good....both out of the way.
Now, if only the 1999 loss in the Prelim. Final would heal then I would feel OK again..
starter

Alan Shore
20-04-2005, 02:17 AM
^^

Good....both out of the way.
Now, if only the 1999 loss in the Prelim. Final would heal then I would feel OK again..
starter

Best. Game. Ever. :cool:

Libby
20-04-2005, 06:50 AM

:clap:

Garvinator
20-04-2005, 10:02 AM
yep, the best game an extra $1.5 million can buy.

ursogr8
02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
sydney sydney sydney (biased, Biased, biased) :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey TCN,

Are you in any tipping competitions for the rugby league? How are you travelling in those?

starter

Four SWANS voters .... :hmm: ...... I wonder who the other three are?

Duff McKagan
02-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I read to day coach Mark Williams (Port Adelaide) said, "[It] certainly [showed] lack of character, lack of pride in the guernsey, and each other, and you know we'll have to do something about it."

I reckon they ought to get some caffine pills down their throat :D and think of Don Dunston :hand:

Duff McKagan
02-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Four SWANS voters .... :hmm: ...... I wonder who the other three are?

I am one :cool: After the Super League bull**** I became an occational AFL follower.

Cheers

ursogr8
09-05-2005, 09:58 AM

:clap:

Carlton loss to Richmond last Saturday

> Carlton's first quarter score 0.2, was its equal-lowest ever
> Carlton's half-tim 1.3 was its lowest ever
> Richmond's half -time margin of 77 points was its all-time highest against Carlton
> Richmond's full-time margin of 85 points was its all-time highest against Carlton

starter

Libby
09-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Carlton loss to Richmond last Saturday

> Carlton's first quarter score 0.2, was its equal-lowest ever
> Carlton's half-tim 1.3 was its lowest ever
> Richmond's half -time margin of 77 points was its all-time highest against Carlton
> Richmond's full-time margin of 85 points was its all-time highest against Carlton

starter
:P

BFG
09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
:P
A series of records, though probably not ones to be proud of.

So much for pre-season form.:owned: :owned:

Libby
09-05-2005, 12:16 PM
A series of records, though probably not ones to be proud of.

So much for pre-season form.:owned: :owned:

You'll get yourself into trouble :naughty:

BFG
09-05-2005, 05:09 PM
You'll get yourself into trouble :naughty:Who me????? :whistle: :whistle:

Libby
09-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Who me????? :whistle: :whistle:

Go and do some work :hand:

ursogr8
24-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Only 4 AFL teams have coaches that have won premierships.
They are Brisbane, Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood.
Oddly, they occupy the last 4 positions on the ladder in a 16 team competition, as of now.

--------------------------------------------------
Only three AFL teams have refused to have an alternative guernsey to wear as an 'away strip' to avoid jumper clashes.
They are Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood.
Oddly, they occupy the last 3 positions on the ladder in a 16 team competition, as of now.

starter

Garvinator
24-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Only 4 AFL teams have coaches that have won premierships.
They are Brisbane, Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood.
Oddly, they occupy the last 4 positions on the ladder in a 16 team competition, as of now.

Only three AFL teams have refused to have an alternative guernsey to wear as an 'away strip' to avoid jumper clashes.
They are Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood.
Oddly, they occupy the last 3 positions on the ladder in a 16 team competition, as of now.

starter
didnt port adelaide win a premiership recently with mark williams as coach ;)

I understand that it would require a constitutional change for essendon to use a different strip to the one they have now.

ursogr8
24-05-2005, 02:59 PM
didnt port adelaide win a premiership recently with mark williams as coach ;)

I understand that it would require a constitutional change for essendon to use a different strip to the one they have now.

gg''

Please add weasel word 'multiple'. :uhoh:

And if we include MW..........they sit 11th. :eek:

True on the Bombers jumper position. But the gods have ways of making us change. :wall:

starter

Alan Shore
06-06-2005, 01:12 AM
For those that missed Nathan Brown's broken leg... ouch.. :(

http://img272.echo.cx/img272/6171/legbreak13ca.gif

http://img272.echo.cx/img272/687/legbreak28qv.gif

ursogr8
27-06-2005, 08:09 AM
I hoped for it .... hope against hope (what with this being an odd-numbered year!) .... and lo, and behold, they win.

Go the D's, go you good thing!!! :clap:

hi Frosty
I must have missed the explanation of how you came to support the Demons?
But the other obvious candidate, the SAINTS, (my tip for 2005; but looking very rocky) may not even make the final 8.

starter

Aaron Bellette
27-06-2005, 01:40 PM
For those that missed Nathan Brown's broken leg... ouch.. :(
It actually looks as though he kicks his right foot with his left in the action of kicking the footie. Horrific injury! :shocked:

AB

Spiny Norman
28-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I must have missed the explanation of how you came to support the Demons?

My grandad, bless him, was a dyed-in-the-wool Melbourne member. I was but 5 years old, impressionable, and lacking suitable parental guidance ... so I became a Demon afficionado.

Alan Shore
30-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm contemplating whether to bet $10 on Carlton this weekend to beat West Coast.. it'd be a huge payoff!

Garvinator
02-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm contemplating whether to bet $10 on Carlton this weekend to beat West Coast.. it'd be a huge payoff!
i see that carlton is doing very well at the moment ;)

Alan Shore
02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
i see that carlton is doing very well at the moment ;)

Well they were... we were winning at half time!

Stupid 4-quarter game.. why is it so long anyway..

Alan Shore
15-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Preliminary final time.

Last year:

St. Kilda (3)
Sydney (6)
West Coast (7)
Adelaide (12)

St. Kilda vs. Sydney

Both teams in great form, Sydney just scraping over the line last weekend against the Cats after a heartbreaking loss in the West. The Saints have in their last two games crushed the Lions by 139 pts and edged out an excellent Adelaide outfit on their home ground.

The Saints with a couple of players back from injury and the week's rest and a Melbourne game have the advantage and have the ability to win the hard ball and find targets up forward, should win.

Prediction: Saints by 23 points.

West Coast vs. Adelaide

Adelaide were extremely impressive last week, annhilating Port by over 80 points in what's usually a tough physical encounter, they showed their midfield dominance and showed surprising versatility in the forward line with great contributions from no big names.

The Eagles have lost just 1 out of their last 20 at home but that loss was to Adelaide just 3 weeks ago. They have the benefit of the break and the home ground but will it be enough given their unconvincing form over the last few weeks? I think it won't quite be good enough.

Prediction: Adelaide by 11 points.

four four two
15-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Lets hope StKilda win,its been nearly forty years, and Victoria needs to win back the damn flag! ;)

Alan Shore
15-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Lets hope StKilda win,its been nearly forty years, and Victoria needs to win back the damn flag! ;)

3 interstate teams still in but luckily the Saints are probably playing the best of the lot - I'll go for them to win the flag.

firegoat7
15-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Shut up clownboots! St Kilda are a bunch of losers. Lets hope big Nick has a massive cry as the Swans boot another last minute winner. Go Sydney..when was their last flag 1933?

cheers Fg7

four four two
15-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey,at least they have the best club song of the remaining clubs,everybody now sing along:Oh when the Saints come marching in... :D

ursogr8
17-09-2005, 09:47 AM
^

JGB

starter

And I was wrong
:( :(

:shhh: :shhh:

:embarras: :embarras:
:depress: :depress:

:buttkick:
:silenced: :silenced:

starter

arosar
17-09-2005, 11:02 AM
LOL!

Some Mexican bloke on the radio reckoned it was like the fall of the Roman empire.

Where will this final be played then - in bloody Mexico again?

AR

firegoat7
17-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey,at least they have the best club song of the remaining clubs,everybody now sing along:Oh when the Saints come marching in... :D

Simple maths really St Kilda football club = losers!! :owned:

cheers fg7

four four two
17-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Sydney swans =subsidised trash for bandwagon jumpers! :lol: :lol: Lets hope a "real" team wins= West coast/Adelaide. :P :P

ursogr8
17-09-2005, 06:31 PM
LOL!

Some Mexican bloke on the radio reckoned it was like the fall of the Roman empire.

AR

Run the logic past me AR.

> SWANS lost recently in W.A. Would you want to play there again?
> SWANS finished lower on the ladder than the EAGLES so SWANS don't warrant a choice if comes to that rationale
> SWANS won recently at the MCG on a Saturday (like, yesterday), and the EAGLES didn't.

The rationale I can think of that may justify Sydney is to .....nah, that is too outlandish a thought.

Tell me AR....why Sydney.

with curious interest
starter

Alan Shore
17-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Don't worry starter, I was wrong too. About my initial selection, about the grand finalists..

bah.

I'm going to go for Sydney next week - I mean come on, they haven't won since 1933!!

ursogr8
17-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Me also.^^^^

Rhubarb
17-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Me also.^^^^You're a top sport, starter, as I know the Saints are your second favourite team.

Belto, you owe me at least three beers.

Rhubarb
17-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Apparently we're a hoot. :P (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=48515&postcount=16)

Garvinator
17-09-2005, 10:21 PM
looking at the poll, everyone is going to be looking silly if WCE wins next week ;)

ursogr8
17-09-2005, 10:39 PM
looking at the poll, everyone is going to be looking silly if WCE wins next week ;)

raggy''

I thought of SILLY in post #107, but I did not want to OD on those that I used.
Do you want to split this thread to debate if SILLY is appropriate?

starter

Rhubarb
17-09-2005, 10:39 PM
oy, say something constructive or po, you bananabending wannabe

Alan Shore
17-09-2005, 11:22 PM
You're a top sport, starter, as I know the Saints are your second favourite team.

Will you be in QLD for the Champs to collect?

four four two
18-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Eagles vs Swans eh,they should be able to peck those Sydneysiders weak hearts to bits ,and if they cant then they are just turkeys! :P ;) :whistle:

Rhubarb
18-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Eagles vs Swans eh,they should be able to peck those Sydneysiders weak hearts to bits ,and if they cant then they are just turkeys! :P ;) :whistle:One cannot properly describe the level of your wit.

ursogr8
18-09-2005, 09:29 AM
You're a top sport, starter, as I know the Saints are your second favourite team.

I been practicing....

Goooooo Swannies

Go Swaaaaaaaanies

Goooooooo Swaaaaaaaannnnnniiiieeess

But nothing beats

Caaar'n the BLOODS

four four two
18-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Tell me Starter,are you a true Sth Melbourne supporter ,or just one of these fairweather supporters? ;)

ursogr8
18-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Tell me Starter,are you a true Sth Melbourne supporter ,or just one of these fairweather supporters? ;)

Bombers first
SAINTers second

Grand Final day is reduced to two other teams, sadly, and supporting one indigenous team is mandatory. No problems supporting South melbourne my friend; it is after all where John Coleman played his first game.

Trivia question. How many goals did John Coleman kick in his first indigenous game at the highest level.

starter

four four two
18-09-2005, 03:50 PM
While the Swans were originally from Melbourne,today they are entirely a Sydney team.Most of the old south melbourne supporters want nothing to do with the "Sydney" swans,they are still very bitter about what happened in the early eighties. Most of the swans fans you see in melbourne followly them when they are successful,making them fairweather fans and not TRUE fans. If brisbane hadnt won 3 premierships how many fitzroy fans would be going to their games?Today heritage means nothing to the AFL,money is the only thing that matters,they got rid of fitzroy just to bring in another SA team.And for that they should hang their head in eternal shame. :evil:

ursogr8
18-09-2005, 04:12 PM
While the Swans were originally from Melbourne,today they are entirely a Sydney team.Most of the old south melbourne supporters want nothing to do with the "Sydney" swans,they are still very bitter about what happened in the early eighties. Most of the swans fans you see in melbourne followly them when they are successful,making them fairweather fans and not TRUE fans. If brisbane hadnt won 3 premierships how many fitzroy fans would be going to their games?Today heritage means nothing to the AFL,money is the only thing that matters,they got rid of fitzroy just to bring in another SA team.And for that they should hang their head in eternal shame. :evil:

I guess most of the questions you raise are rhetorical, and you really do know the answers, so I will not use bandwidth for a reply.

Personally, I would much prefer the BLOODS to win.

starter

four four two
18-09-2005, 04:47 PM
So you dont think it was a crying shame what they did to Fitzroy and its heritage? :hmm: Geelong has at least 2 million dollars debt,do you think they should be on the next bus to Canberra? What people conveniently forget,and what virtually everyone interstate fails to realise,is that people in victoria were never asked whether they wanted a national competition,it was FORCED on them.! :hand: If the NRL had forced a Sydney team to relocate to Melbourne for the sake of a "national" competition, what do you think their reaction would have been? :hmm:

Alan Shore
18-09-2005, 04:56 PM
So you dont think it was a crying shame what they did to Fitzroy and its heritage? :hmm: Geelong has at least 2 million dollars debt,do you think they should be on the next bus to Canberra? What people conveniently forget,and what virtually everyone interstate fails to realise,is that people in victoria were never asked whether they wanted a national competition,it was FORCED on them.! :hand: If the NRL had forced a Sydney team to relocate to Melbourne for the sake of a "national" competition, what do you think their reaction would have been? :hmm:

Don't be greedy - you should be grateful it's a national competition and be hopeful that it will one day be international. Victoria still have 10 teams as it is - we only have 1!

four four two
18-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Im not opposed to a national competition,I just dont think it should come at the exspense of victorian teams. ;) By the way where are your WA and SA teams in the NRL? :hmm:

ursogr8
18-09-2005, 06:31 PM
So you dont think it was a crying shame what they did to Fitzroy and its heritage?

I think a national competition was necessary for the long-term health of the indigenous game of football. I think it was inevitable that there would be less teams viable in the Melbourne market. How (the mechanism) Fitzroy folded is probably a separate question from these two beliefs of mine. I can't imagine any scenario where Fitzroy would fold without angst from Roys supporters.

:hmm: Geelong has at least 2 million dollars debt,do you think they should be on the next bus to Canberra?
No, because I don't think Canberra makes more economic sense than Geelong as a base for that side.

What people conveniently forget,and what virtually everyone interstate fails to realise,is that people in victoria were never asked whether they wanted a national competition,it was FORCED on them.! :hand:

Well 442 I don't know who you mix with, but my mates have not forgotten that the Commision (in a leadership role) made that decsion without a plebiscite of the Victorian populus. And frankly I never expected to vote (as a citizen) on such an issue

If the NRL had forced a Sydney team to relocate to Melbourne for the sake of a "national" competition, what do you think their reaction would have been? :hmm:
Now that is a big ASK 442; ;) , expecting me to think like a Sydney-sider and make sensible comment on how to spread their imported rugby-variant to Melbourne. Pass on that one.

starter

four four two
18-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Starter,the rationale behind "merging" Fitzroy with Brisbane was that they had a large debt,around 2 million, and a small supporter base. While Geelong has a larger supporter base than Fitzroy did ,its not that much bigger.The AFL in the next few years will put teams like Geelong and Footscray under increasing pressure to relocate to places like Canberra,thus sacrificing their heritage for a few dollars. They will tell them you can keep your jumper colours,but it just wont be the same. For a sport to maintain success you must not lose your supporter base,and if the AFL continues to show preference towards making money rather than maintaining heritage it will eventually lose support in its main base,Melbourne.The bulk of the money in the game will always be here by virtue of the size of our population. :whistle:

ursogr8
18-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Starter,the rationale behind "merging" Fitzroy with Brisbane was that they had a large debt,around 2 million, and a small supporter base. While Geelong has a larger supporter base than Fitzroy did ,its not that much bigger.The AFL in the next few years will put teams like Geelong and Footscray under increasing pressure to relocate to places like Canberra,thus sacrificing their heritage for a few dollars. They will tell them you can keep your jumper colours,but it just wont be the same. For a sport to maintain success you must not lose your supporter base,and if the AFL continues to show preference towards making money rather than maintaining heritage it will eventually lose support in its main base,Melbourne.The bulk of the money in the game will always be here by virtue of the size of our population. :whistle:

Attendances have never been higher. Who is attending ...if not supporters.

four four two
19-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Starter,if they get rid of another victorian team then attendaces will definitely decline. :(

Ian Rout
19-09-2005, 01:56 PM
No, because I don't think Canberra makes more economic sense than Geelong as a base for that side.

I think the AFL has missed the chance for Canberra. When I first came here Australian Rules seemed to be about as popular as Rugby League. Even though geographically ACT is within the NSW borders it has a high immigrant population who kept the faith.

Since then the Raiders have been established and then the Brumbies (for Victorians, that's Rugby Union). So putting in an AFL team would mean going up against established teams rather than being in first without competition as they could have been 25 years ago.

Canberrans are also very fickle, even more so than other Australian cities. In the mid to late 80s the Canberra Cannons won some basketball premierships and everybody was talking about Slam Dunks and Dee Fence, then they started losing and these days they are the Hunter Pirates. The Canberra Cosmos soccer team took out two last places and a second last (I think) and haven't been heard of since. A Canberra AFL team, either new or transplanted, would start at the bottom and have the same difficulties.

ursogr8
19-09-2005, 02:25 PM
^^ Agreed.

four four two
19-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Ian, the AFL would be happy to spend 5 million dollars or more on building a team in Canberra over a 5-10 year period,they have already done it with the Sydney swans.In the last 23 years how many seasons has Sydney made an actual profit? The AFL would have no qualms about sacrificing another victorian team to build in a rugby dominated area,even if that team didnt turn a profit and took 20 years to win a premiership. ;) :whistle:

Ian Rout
19-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Ian, the AFL would be happy to spend 5 million dollars or more on building a team in Canberra over a 5-10 year period,they have already done it with the Sydney swans.In the last 23 years how many seasons has Sydney made an actual profit? The AFL would have no qualms about sacrificing another victorian team to build in a rugby dominated area,even if that team didnt turn a profit and took 20 years to win a premiership. ;) :whistle:
I doubt that, or they would have done it before. Sydney is a prize worth winning so the AFL can justify bankrolling it. I think they would have a second Sydney team well before a Canberra team.

The Kangaroos have tried to establish themselves as a part-Canberra team with little success. There were no Kangroos supporters in Canberra when they started and there still are none.

four four two
19-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Actually they were offered financial incentives by the AFL if they played a few games in Canberra,the AFL would prefer if they relocated there permanently. ;)

ursogr8
19-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I doubt that, or they would have done it before. Sydney is a prize worth winning so the AFL can justify bankrolling it. I think they would have a second Sydney team well before a Canberra team.

The Kangaroos have tried to establish themselves as a part-Canberra team with little success. There were no Kangroos supporters in Canberra when they started and there still are none.

Good analysis Ian.
If the AFL were to start a team anywhere else the Taswegians are itching to find the right business model.
starter

Kevin Bonham
19-09-2005, 06:09 PM

On the other hand, the board will look pretty good should the Swans get up.

Amusing that, how one of the grand finalists topped the BB poll and the other didn't rate a vote. Probably says a lot about this BB's demographics.

ursogr8
19-09-2005, 06:15 PM
On the other hand, the board will look pretty good should the Swans get up.

Amusing that, how one of the grand finalists topped the BB poll and the other didn't rate a vote. Probably says a lot about this BB's demographics.

Good point Kevin

All those who voted early for the SWANS please put your hand up now; 442 to note...these (with hands in the air) are not the fair-weather crew that get up your nose...they supported the SWANS right at the start of the year....long-termers in other words.

starter

four four two
19-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Im hoping Westcoast rip their bloody wings off! ;) :P :cool:

firegoat7
19-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi starter,

Go the bloods!!! Do it for the Lakeside oval crowd

:eek: wots happening with Big bad Bazza

cheers Fg7

Rhubarb
19-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Good point Kevin

All those who voted early for the SWANS please put your hand up now; 442 to note...these (with hands in the air) are not the fair-weather crew that get up your nose...they supported the SWANS right at the start of the year....long-termers in other words.

starterAhem! (Meekly raises hand for fear of 442 ripping it off.)

Yes, there's probably few Bloods supporters left who go watch when the Swans are in town. Roos said in today's paper that the Swans really feel like a Sydney team now, and the city is behind them, and he didn't really feel that way when he played in the 96 GF against the (Kanga)roos.

four four two
20-09-2005, 12:05 AM
I would never rip your hand off Keg, but i would shake it. ;) :angel:

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 12:13 AM
I would never rip your hand off Keg, but i would shake it. ;) :angel:Ok, somewhere in between a wet fish and a blow to the solar plexus should be fine. ;)

I don't have high hopes for BigBadBaz being there this w/e after it was a grade 2 charge - from what I understand, if it was grade 1 he can cop an early plea, get a slight reduction, and still play.

PHAT
20-09-2005, 12:55 AM
YEAHHHHHH go Swans. Sydney rules!!!!! FO melbourne.

... is this Australian Rules? Who are we playing?

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Ok, somewhere in between a wet fish and a blow to the solar plexus should be fine. ;)

I don't have high hopes for BigBadBaz being there this w/e after it was a grade 2 charge - from what I understand, if it was grade 1 he can cop an early plea, get a slight reduction, and still play.

He can argue it was grade 1 if he can convince them it was 'in play'; this reduces the demerit count sufficiently.
Now, it was quite a distance geographically from the play, BUT, if he can argue that he was being impeded from leading....then maybe it comes 'in play'.

I think he will be there on Sat.

starter

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 09:00 AM
YEAHHHHHH go Swans. Sydney rules!!!!! FO melbourne.

... is this Australian Rules? Who are we playing?

:doh: Mr Half-breed :doh:

Melbourne is not playing.

starter

Ian Rout
20-09-2005, 09:11 AM
He can argue it was grade 1 if he can convince then it was 'in play'; this reduces the demerit count sufficiently.
Now, it was quite a distance geographically from the play, BUT, if he can argue that he was being impeded from leading....then maybe it comes 'in play'.

I think he will be there on Sat.

starter
I saw the video of the incident for the first time last night, and if there was an offence of grade 5 stupidity he wouldn't be playing on Saturday.

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 09:17 AM
I saw the video of the incident for the first time last night, and if there was an offence of grade 5 stupidity he wouldn't be playing on Saturday.

Ian

As I posted back to kegless, Barry (not the Gonged one) is going to argue that his physical reflexes are faster than his brain reflexes.

starter

arosar
20-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Apparently Barry's mom made the plea, like that kid in 'Oliver', "please sir, Let my Barry play. Please sir". I reckon that should do it. But honestly, the incident was like equivalent to a light brush in NRL. I swear these AFL ballerinas are sensitive, aren't they?

AR

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Apparently Barry's mom made the plea, like that kid in 'Oliver', "please sir, Let my Barry play. Please sir". I reckon that should do it. But honestly, the incident was like equivalent to a light brush in NRL. I swear these AFL ballerinas are sensitive, aren't they?

AR

Yes AR.....overly sensitive.
But it has only become a problem this year since one of our SUITED-ADMINs swanned around in Sydney over the 20004/5 Xmas break and was sold a pup by the NRL on grade-high-tackles etc.
Before that we had a perfectly-disputable system that everyone could argue about. ;)

starter

Rincewind
20-09-2005, 09:23 AM
:doh: Mr Half-breed :doh:

Melbourne is not playing.

That's irrelevent. Sydney will still score more tries that the other guys. ;)

Alan Shore
20-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Good analysis Ian.
If the AFL were to start a team anywhere else the Taswegians are itching to find the right business model.
starter

The next team to get an intro to the AFL will undoubtedly be the Southport Sharks on the Gold Coast. They have multi-million dollar facilities and have consistently been one of the top teams in the QAFL for many years.

four four two
20-09-2005, 11:35 AM
A second team in queensland isnt unrealistic,just means they will get rid of two victorian teams instead of one. ;) :(

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 12:09 PM
LOL!

AR

AR

Just some stats from the AGE this morning

> 95,000 tickets sold
> expected viewing audience over 2.3 million
> 5000 extra Qantas seats from W.A this week
> 5 extra Greyhound buses across the nullabor
> no accom.left
> $35,000,000 into the local economy

starter

arosar
20-09-2005, 12:11 PM
WTF??? I just read that they suspended Hall. What a bunch of khrunts! Even Lockett has come out a-swinging...

AR

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 12:18 PM
WTF??? I just read that they suspended Hall. What a bunch of khrunts! Even Lockett has come out a-swinging...

AR

AR
Read my earlier post about his APPEAL strategy.
More importantly, I wish I could give you a link to page two of the AGE today....some great frocks on display last night. ;)
starter

Alan Shore
20-09-2005, 12:22 PM

AR

Appeal is at 6pm tonight.

Edit: Jacked

arosar
20-09-2005, 12:24 PM
AR
Read my earlier post about his APPEAL strategy.
More importantly, I wish I could give you a link to page two of the AGE today....some great frocks on display last night. ;)
starter

Nothing like that sheila with the barely covered front (can't remember which sport and when).

But that Mark Coughlan's chick looks a bit like a good sort, eh?

AR

four four two
20-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Arosar, if the final was in Sydney or Perth you would be lucky to get 40,000 people at the game,that would mean a loss of over 5 MILLION DOLLARS in ticket sales,the AFL may be short sighted but they aint that CRAZY! :P :owned:

arosar
20-09-2005, 12:40 PM
it's only a matter of time before they wake up from their sleep and realise that if this game was going to get bigger, that they must have it in places like Sydney (for the GF I mean).

AR

Alan Shore
20-09-2005, 12:53 PM
it's only a matter of time before they wake up from their sleep and realise that if this game was going to get bigger, that they must have it in places like Sydney (for the GF I mean).

AR

No.

four four two
20-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Arosar,if the NRL cant get 95,000 people to a game what chance does the AFL have? Even if the Swans won 5 grand finals in a row they wouldnt get 95,000. :P ;) :owned:

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 03:16 PM
He can argue it was grade 1 if he can convince them it was 'in play'; this reduces the demerit count sufficiently.

I think he will be there on Sat.Right, so because I don't think he can beat the charge altogether (even though it was a mere tap by RL standards, it was still a clenched fist) he has to get it downgraded to grade 1.

But looking at the replay, it doesn't look too much he's trying to get a lead - it just looks like common-or-garden off-the-ball jostling to me (so the fist means he's gone). Still, since this one piece of footage looks to be the only one, maybe he can argue: "How the hell do you know I wasn't trying to get a lead."

I'll have to defer to your expertise and hope you're right, starter.

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Right, so because I don't think he can beat the charge altogether (even though it was a mere tap by RL standards, it was still a clenched fist) he has to get it downgraded to grade 1.

But looking at the replay, it doesn't look too much he's trying to get a lead - it just looks like common-or-garden off-the-ball jostling to me (so the fist means he's gone). Still, since this one piece of footage looks to be the only one, maybe he can argue: "How the hell do you know I wasn't trying to get a lead."

He needs to plead guilty to the offence to get the metric down, THEN, he needs to win the point 'in play'.

And yes, there is additional footage from behind the goal.

Trust me :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: ...we would much prefer a Sydney win than an Eagles win. :P

starter

Alan Shore
20-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Right, so because I don't think he can beat the charge altogether (even though it was a mere tap by RL standards, it was still a clenched fist) he has to get it downgraded to grade 1.

Of course, there's always the fact that Sydney will be playing a non-Victorian team in the GF. If it were otherwise, I wouldn't give Barry a chance.

After all, that sort of thing happens all the time when suspensions could affect State of Origin appearances (!)

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 03:33 PM
He needs to plead guilty to the offence to get the metric down, THEN, he needs to win the point 'in play'.

And yes, there is additional footage from behind the goal.

Trust me :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: ...we would much prefer a Sydney win than an Eagles win. :P

starterThere is additional footage? I'm only going off Herald journos - maybe I should be reading the Age. :doh:

So you're saying he's got no chance for the "reckless" changed to "negligent" option and has to go for the "in-play"? (Assuming he pleads guilty first, as seems likely.)

Spiny Norman
20-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Who's "we" :?:

four four two
20-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Exactly Frosty, ;) :clap: :clap:
This victorian aint goin for Sydney! Lets hope Ben Cousins can inspire them to crush those damn Swans. :P ;) :owned:

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Exactly Frosty, ;) :clap: :clap:
This victorian aint goin for Sydney! Lets hope Ben Cousins can inspire them to crush those damn Swans. :P ;) :owned:442, since you haven't given any particular indication of why you should be going for West Coast, we can only assume that your apparent hatred of Sydney is due to some deep-seated inferiority complex. ":P ;):owned:"

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Who's "we" :?:

Frosty

This 'we' consists of two sets of the populus.
> the moneyed suits at the AFL that are keen to establish in the Sydney market
>> those who go for the underdogs....the team who have not one a premiership since the early 1930's.
Where is your romanticism, my friend.

starter

four four two
20-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Keg,read more of the thread and you will see why im not a fan of Sydney. :P ;)

LongWhip
20-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I've lost all interest in the finals with the exit of the last Victorian team. Is this the end of Victorian footy?

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Keg,read more of the thread and you will see why im not a fan of Sydney. :P ;)Look man, I've read the thread. It was 1982, so get over it, and Edelsten was probably a crim. Is this the fault of today's players and supporters? It's our team, pal. Do you really hate non-Victorian sides so much that you'd rather that all the interstate players who wanted a pro future had to try and get into Victorian teams, like in the old days in the VFL?

And another thing, are you saying that West Coast joined the VFL/AFL without any detriment to Victorian teams? Or do you just reserve your extra special contempt for the Swans because you have extra special sympathy for the poor little South Melbourne bleeders?

P.S. I hear there's a few old-time Bloods supporters in Melbourne who are getting really excited about the Swans.

P.P.S. I see my mate arosar's a little upset with you over on the Latham thread. Something about hating newbies? I think it's apropos to the context of this discussion.

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Look man, I've read the thread. It was 1982, so get over it, and Edelsten was probably a crim. Is this the fault of today's players and supporters? It's our team, pal. Do you really hate non-Victorian sides so much that you'd rather that all the interstate players who wanted a pro future had to try and get into Victorian teams, like in the old days in the VFL?

And another thing, are you saying that West Coast joined the VFL/AFL without any detriment to Victorian teams? Or do you just reserve your extra special contempt for the Swans because you have extra special sympathy for the poor little South Melbourne bleeders?

P.S. I hear there's a few old-time Bloods supporters in Melbourne who are getting really excited about the Swans.

P.P.S. I see my mate arosar's a little upset with you over on the Latham thread. Something about hating newbies? I think it's apropos to the context of this discussion.

ppps
It comes down to this....do the supporters of the 10 Melbourne teams cheer for
> the mob who seem to grow bigger, run faster, than those of us who live in the eastern states, OR,
>> the mob who gang-tackle and offered a spiritual home to our outcasts Plugger and Bazza.

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 06:44 PM
ppps
It comes down to this....do the supporters of the 10 Melbourne teams cheer for
> the mob who seem to grow bigger, run faster, than those of us who live in the eastern states, OR,
>> the mob who gang-tackle and offered a spiritual home to our outcasts Plugger and Bazza.Speaking of Plugger, he really went into bat for Baz. And it's not like we don't produce any of our own players.

arosar
20-09-2005, 07:26 PM
I walk in just now, in time to hear the news that Hall's been cleared.

AR

Spiny Norman
20-09-2005, 07:36 PM
>> those who go for the underdogs....the team who have not one a premiership since the early 1930's.
Where is your romanticism, my friend.
I had a romantic thought once ... but I soon got over it. I have never liked the Swannies and I am not about to start now. Their style of play leaves me cold. I much prefer run-n-gun teams.

Now look, I don't much like the Eagles either as a rule. As a Demons supporter I still have bad memories of finals losses ... but this Saturday I will be wearing the colours of the west.

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I had a romantic thought once ... but I soon got over it. I have never liked the Swannies and I am not about to start now. Their style of play leaves me cold. I much prefer run-n-gun teams.Hey Frosty, we know we ain't the prettiest, but we did at least get Demetriou to eat his words from the start of the season. And if we win, guess how many Sydneysiders will give a flying farknuckle about the kind of style we did it in. :P

Rhubarb
20-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I walk in just now, in time to hear the news that Hall's been cleared.And to think some idiot was doubting starter's assessment. :uhoh:

ursogr8
20-09-2005, 09:51 PM
And to think some idiot was doubting starter's assessment. :uhoh:

I would like to take the credit, but it belongs with Bill and Kevin....on this logic/experience >

Dunkley got off from hurting our precious James Hird on the basis that the AFL did not have a satisfactory appeals procedure. (Supreme court ruling)
Since then the AFL have tightened all this up and have two levels of appeal, and have re-written a formula for grading (half-inched from the NRL, as explained earlier).
So, the AFL went into the mind-set that they were unbeatable with their process. Actual words used were....water-tight.

Well, as we know from our bb readings over time....even simple 3 letter words like 'ban' take about a month of forensics to make them watertight. The AFL had never addressed the definition of 'in play' since Johnathan Brown used the same weasel-words when he headlocked a guy into the ground last year.

Bush_lawyers 2- AFL 0

Moral of the story.........it is not over till the fat lady sings.

starter

four four two
21-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Keg,Idont hate West coast or Adelaide crows,thats because they werent subsidised at the expense of traditional clubs in victoria. They have always paid there way,Sydney on the other hand has received huge amounts of cash over the years,far more than any victorian team ever has or ever will.Who do you think was really paying Pluggers salary when he went to Sydney?

Starter,Plugger wasnt a spiritual outcast,he was talented but LAZY. Even die hard StKilda supporters will tell you that he would often miss training, that was creating a negative atmosphere at StKilda and so they let him go. :whistle:

Garvinator
21-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Keg,Idont hate West coast or Adelaide crows,thats because they werent subsidised at the expense of traditional clubs in victoria. They have always paid there way,Sydney on the other hand has received huge amounts of cash over the years,far more than any victorian team ever has or ever will.Who do you think was really paying Pluggers salary when he went to Sydney?
you seem to be forgetting about all the money that is paid to the western bulldogs and north melbourne each to keep them financially afloat.

This is really only done because the 5 year tv deal is based on a 16 team competition.

I have heard in this thread lately about how much money has been spent on sydney etc, but that was 'gained' all back in the $500 million 5 year tv deal. Money well spent I think.

four four two
21-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Gray,they would have got a good tv deal even if there was no team in sydney,the attendances at Sydneys games and its tv viewing audience is fairly small for a city of four million.What you tend to forget is that when sydney has a crap season there is a big drop in interest, when victorian teams have a crap season their fan base doesnt shrink that much.In relation to north and footscray,too many players are on too much money and if you dont have a big fan base you will be in financial trouble. The primary reason for the big tv deal was simply to get it off seven,packer and murdoch ideally would like to have the footy on pay tv.Its only a matter of time before they do. :(

Rhubarb
21-09-2005, 01:26 AM
I'll have to take gg's and 442's word for it here - when it comes to the financing of the AFL, I'm virtually without a clue. It does appear that what starter and Ian say is true, though: it was always going to take a lot of money and was going to be worth the prize to try and crack the Sydney market. Hell, it's worked on me. Nine years ago, AFL was my third favourite footy code, now it's my second. :hmm:

Spiny Norman
21-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey Frosty, we know we ain't the prettiest, but we did at least get Demetriou to eat his words from the start of the season. And if we win, guess how many Sydneysiders will give a flying farknuckle about the kind of style we did it in. :P
True, O King! But remember, its not the destination, its the journey that's important.

Still, every once in a while a team comes up with a new 'theory' of how to play the game and has success for a short while, just like an unsound innovation in chess, eventually it gets found out and gets consigned to the dustbin. A bit like the 'flood' ... teams now know how to beat it.

I think there's a difference between a hard-tackling team (which the Swans and a number of other teams are) and a team which deliberately stifles the flow of the game. I'm frankly surprised that they made it as far as they have, but I believe that on the big stage they'll be caught out. The 7 or 8 goals in a quarter the other night are (I think) an abberation and cannot be repeated when it matters.

Now as for big Bazza, well, I'm flabbergasted. But good for him, he'll get to play. In the same breath I think it is fair to point out that the AFL Tribunal is now shown up to be bereft of any reason for being. They should just issue swords and shields to the players and let them duke it out. Shoving a couple of lions and tigers on to the field should add a bit of excitement for the fans too. Perhaps the game should be rescheduled to Telstra Dome where the sandy playing surface can better soak up the blood?

Where's Russell Crowe when he's needed (perhaps he could've replaced Big Bad Barry in the team?).

ursogr8
21-09-2005, 08:23 AM
<snip>

I think there's a difference between a hard-tackling team (which the Swans and a number of other teams are) and a team which deliberately stifles the flow of the game. I'm frankly surprised that they made it as far as they have, but I believe that on the big stage they'll be caught out. The 7 or 8 goals in a quarter the other night are (I think) an abberation and cannot be repeated when it matters.
Good morning Frosty
Well of course they can be caught out. But not like the WCE Captain and the WCE full-forward/ruckman were caught out associating with substances-to-be-abused dealers earlier this year.

Now as for big Bazza, well, I'm flabbergasted. But good for him, he'll get to play. In the same breath I think it is fair to point out that the AFL Tribunal is now shown up to be bereft of any reason for being.

It is not the Tribunals fault. It was Mr Anderson's fault for not tweaking the definition of 'in play' after Johnathan Brown used the ploy in 2004.

They should just issue swords and shields to the players and let them duke it out.
I think kegless is correct. Love-taps of this type are part and parcel of football. The penalty should be a free-kick if the offence gains advantage (as it did in this case). There are three umpires after all.

Shoving a couple of lions and tigers on to the field should add a bit of excitement for the fans too. Perhaps the game should be rescheduled to Telstra Dome where the sandy playing surface can better soak up the blood?

Have you replaced your stolen laptops yet. Got Kensington locks on them?

Where's Russell Crowe when he's needed (perhaps he could've replaced Big Bad Barry in the team?).

Russell is too busy buying Souths. :uhoh:

starter

ps Loved your hyperbole; have you got any good reason for supporting WCE? :P

Gringo
21-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Go the Weagles....

Spiny Norman
21-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Have you replaced your stolen laptops yet. Got Kensington locks on them?
Odd, very odd, just as I clicked the REPLY button for this post an email hit my Inbox and said "Three boxes from Dell have arrived for you." ... CHANCE or COINCIDENCE??? One might also think that some measure of prescience or foresight might have rubbed off on you at lunch the other day! :angel:

ps Loved your hyperbole; have you got any good reason for supporting WCE? :P
Not really. It just seemed to me that most people here were voting Red and White and I just love being contrary.

ursogr8
21-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Odd, very odd, just as I clicked the REPLY button for this post an email hit my Inbox and said "Three boxes from Dell have arrived for you." ... CHANCE or COINCIDENCE??? One might also think that some measure of prescience or foresight might have rubbed off on you at lunch the other day! :angel:

Not really. It just seemed to me that most people here were voting Red and White and I just love being contrary.
CHANCE..............no
COINCIDENCE......no
CONSPIRACY.......getting warm. :uhoh:

starter

Spiny Norman
21-09-2005, 08:23 PM
starter, I've had one coffee too many today, and this Barry Hall thing has got my dander up. I'm lashing out and anyone and everyone who comes within striking distance. Fortunately its not 'behind play', so I am fairly confident that even if someone runs to the CEO with a broken nose and complains that s/he has been assaulted on the way back from the water cooler, I will merely be counselled, given a stern talking to, and let off with a good behaviour bond.

Big bad Barry was trying to make out like it was all a misunderstanding. "I didn't murder anyone" he whimpered, bottom lip quivering.

Now if I were running the AFL it would be a different story. There would be no tribunal. I'd just have a quick look at the video on a Monday evening and dole out the penalties. No lawyers allowed. In fact, no players or club representatives allowed either. Each penalty would come in dual form:

1) number of weeks in the sin-bin; OR
2) number of dollars contributed to the AFL christmas party

Let clubs take their pick. Most of 'em are short of cash, so all the also-ran players that we don't really care about can cool their heels on the pine for a few weeks. The high profile guys get to play, and what's more, they get to whack a lot more opponents (which should keep the crowds happy).

Whaddya reckon?

ursogr8
21-09-2005, 08:47 PM
starter, I've had one coffee too many today, and this Barry Hall thing has got my dander up. I'm lashing out and anyone and everyone who comes within striking distance. Fortunately its not 'behind play', so I am fairly confident that even if someone runs to the CEO with a broken nose and complains that s/he has been assaulted on the way back from the water cooler, I will merely be counselled, given a stern talking to, and let off with a good behaviour bond.

Big bad Barry was trying to make out like it was all a misunderstanding. "I didn't murder anyone" he whimpered, bottom lip quivering.

Now if I were running the AFL it would be a different story. There would be no tribunal. I'd just have a quick look at the video on a Monday evening and dole out the penalties. No lawyers allowed. In fact, no players or club representatives allowed either. Each penalty would come in dual form:

1) number of weeks in the sin-bin; OR
2) number of dollars contributed to the AFL christmas party

Let clubs take their pick. Most of 'em are short of cash, so all the also-ran players that we don't really care about can cool their heels on the pine for a few weeks. The high profile guys get to play, and what's more, they get to whack a lot more opponents (which should keep the crowds happy).

Whaddya reckon?

I reckon you don't know your history Frosty.

The Dunkley dunk on Hird followed the basic pattern you list.
The Supreme Court ruled that the AFL had no APPEALS procedure and was therefore legally unfair. Hence Dunkley played in the SWANS GF in the 90's.
This forced the AFL to bring in APPEALS procedures and (after the copycat of the NRL) we have the current system.

It all hinges on the definition of 'in play'; and as we know definitions take a month to make water-tight. And there is not a month between last night and next Saturday. ;)

Car'n the Blood-stained Angels .

starter

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 05:41 PM
<snip>The AFL would have no qualms about sacrificing another victorian team to build in a rugby dominated area,even if that team didnt turn a profit and took 20 years to win a premiership. ;) :whistle:

In the season before the SWANS left Melbourne they had 3327 registered paid-up members in Melbourne.
They now have in excess of 6000 Melbourne-based members; and 25,000 now in total. Their peak was 31,700 in the late 90's.

It is a success for the indigenous game, at a cost that has not caused heartache because the TV money for a truly national game has expanded the pot so.

Up there Cazaly! .

starter

four four two
22-09-2005, 08:12 PM
If you had asked those Swans fans would you like to relocate to Sydney and MAYBE win a premiership in 23 years time OR stay in Melbourne and risk never winning again but get to see your team most weeks,I think they would have chosen the latter. ;) If their peak membership in Sydney was 25,000 members out of a population of 4 MILLION,then thats hardly a success.The point Im trying to get through to you is that transplanting victorian teams to other states in no ways guarantees success,it does however alienate not just supporters of those teams but the public in general. Do you think the AFL will have the same level of support in victoria if you transplant Nth Melb,Footscray,Melbourne or Geelong? Fans dont like being taken for granted,the tv money which is only a few years old can easily come and go,heritage should last forever and not be something to trade for some quick dollars. If Essendon has 4-5 crap seasons and gets into financial trouble would you like to see them transplanted? :hmm:

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 08:40 PM
If you had asked those Swans fans would you like to relocate to Sydney and MAYBE win a premiership in 23 years time OR stay in Melbourne and risk never winning again but get to see your team most weeks,I think they would have chosen the latter. ;) If their peak membership in Sydney was 25,000 members out of a population of 4 MILLION,then thats hardly a success.The point Im trying to get through to you is that transplanting victorian teams to other states in no ways guarantees success,it does however alienate not just supporters of those teams but the public in general. Do you think the AFL will have the same level of support in victoria if you transplant Nth Melb,Footscray,Melbourne or Geelong? Fans dont like being taken for granted,the tv money which is only a few years old can easily come and go,heritage should last forever and not be something to trade for some quick dollars. If Essendon has 4-5 crap seasons and gets into financial trouble would you like to see them transplanted? :hmm:

That is your interpretation of the choice/decision/options.
But, with less than 4000 registered members the reality was that one of the likely options was to go out of existence. Now, put that to your hypothetical supporter vote and see what they favour.

four four two
22-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Starter,NO team has ever been under the threat of going out of existence. Relocating them to Sydney in fact turned out to be much more expensive than if they had have kept them in Melbourne,for the amount of money the AFL spent in the first ten years they got very little value for money. :whistle:

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Starter,NO team has ever been under the threat of going out of existence. Relocating them to Sydney in fact turned out to be much more expensive than if they had have kept them in Melbourne,for the amount of money the AFL spent in the first ten years they got very little value for money. :whistle:

South Melbourne was rocky at the time with less than 4000 members.

More recently, the money that has come to the indigenous code because it has gone national has provided the wherewithal to keep the rotating basket-cases afloat (either through money, suits, or big-name transfers). But there is a limit to how many boat anchors that could have been supported in Melbourne by a VFL + 2 (that is WCE and Adelaide).

The national league of 16 teams for the AFL is a reality and going from strength to strength.
(Discussion actually belongs over on the other FOOTBALL thread.)

Alan Shore
22-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Starter,NO team has ever been under the threat of going out of existence.

*cough*

Fitzroy.

and for the real knowledgable... University, 1911-1914.

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 11:31 PM
*cough*

Fitzroy.

and for the real knowledgable... University, 1911-1914.

Yes, BD.........have you had a chance to read the relevant chapters in Robert Shaw's book relating to the close-down of the RoyBoys.

But, University.... :hmm: ...not sure I would pay that one. What was the year the break-away league, that became the VFL, was formed? I think it will be hard for you to argue UNI.

starter

Alan Shore
22-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Yes, BD.........have you had a chance to read the relevant chapters in Robert Shaw's book relating to the close-down of the RoyBoys.

I haven't - care to give a quick summary?

But, University.... :hmm: ...not sure I would pay that one. What was the year the break-away league, that became the VFL, was formed? I think it will be hard for you to argue UNI.

The VFL formed in 1897, as I recall, with 8 teams. Essendon won the premiership that year, however that win is not recognised by some parties as it was conducted via a round-robin finals method rather than a true qualifying finals series.

There was something special about the year 1931, but I can't recall - I believe 1897 is the accepted date of inception.

ursogr8
23-09-2005, 12:19 AM
I haven't - care to give a quick summary?

I will try to get it scanned in by my daughter.

The VFL formed in 1897, as I recall, with 8 teams. Essendon won the premiership that year, however that win is not recognised by some parties as it was conducted via a round-robin finals method rather than a true qualifying finals series.

There was something special about the year 1931, but I can't recall - I believe 1897 is the accepted date of inception.

I think it was 1931 when 4 new joined.........Dogs, Hawks, Roos, +1.........

I think I need a history book.

Will research.

Alan Shore
23-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I will try to get it scanned in by my daughter.

I think it was 1931 when 4 new joined.........Dogs, Hawks, Roos, +1.........

I think I need a history book.

Will research.

Those three joined in 1925.

(When I was a lad I was a huge AFL history/stats buff, heh).

ursogr8
23-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Those three joined in 1925.

(When I was a lad I was a huge AFL history/stats buff, heh).

Good morning BD

Given that you are marooned up there the other side of Welshland I thought I would just give you a few snippets of oddities on how Grand Final week is progressing >

1 On ABC radio (Mexico) this morning...an interview with the new NSW Premier...he played U9 Aussie Rules, and is still a keen follower.

2 Reports that seats on planes, from Perth, to Darwin, Bali, and New Zealand heavily booked by Eagles supporters. Apparently all direct flights Perth to Melbourne were booked out weeks ago.

3 So far, Frosty is the only Melbourne person I have met who is cheering for the West-coasters. The rest of Melbourne looks to be right behind Sydney.

starter

Car'n the BLOODS

four four two
23-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Belthasar,Geelongs debt is currently as big if not bigger than Fitzroys was and all of the existing AFL teams will get their cut from the waverley development,thus Fitzroy wasnt under any real threat .Port Adelaide could only join the competition when they did if a victorian was "merged" ,that is the true reason behind Fitzroys demise.They sold 100 years of heritage for a few dollars in SA. :P ;)

four four two
23-09-2005, 09:58 AM
The rest of Melbourne behind Sydney? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you see how many letters there were in the paper concerning Barry Hall?
Most thought he shouldnt have gotten off,as it was sending a bad message to kids who play.The fact they used a private jet to bring him down here only compounded the view that enough money will buy the right decision. ;) Many of the people who were neutral have switched to West coast,not because they like them but because they dislike Sydney more. :whistle:

Rincewind
23-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Many of the people who were neutral have switched to West coast,not because they like them but because they dislike Sydney more. :whistle:

Believe me, the view of Sydney improves with distance. So if Melbournians dislike Sydney, you can imagine how we in the Gong feel. :D

Dozy
23-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Believe me, the view of Sydney improves with distance. So if Melbournians dislike Sydney, you can imagine how we in the Gong feel. :D
I came across an old book of place names the other day and was surprised to find that Tasmania wasn't named after Abel Tasman at all. It comes from an obscure aboriginal word meaning "not far enough from Melbourne."
(And Nullarbor means still not far enough from Melbourne)

four four two
23-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey Dozy,Tasmania was originally called Van Diemens land,is that aboriginal too? :D Abel Tasman was working for Van Diemen when he came across the island,the name change later gave Abel his due credit. :whistle:

Dozy
23-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Dozy,Tasmania was originally called Van Diemens land,is that aboriginal too? :D Abel Tasman was working for Van Diemen when he came across the island,the name change later gave Abel his due credit. :whistle:
I thought a Van Diemen was something that haunted gypsies.

Greg Champion and Colin Buchanan recorded a song about Sydney-Melbourne rivalry a few years ago. They spent the whole song slagging each other until the final line when they found something to agree on (and I realise I'm opening Pandora's Box when I quote this) but the song concluded with them singing together, "Canberra's the pits."

ursogr8
23-09-2005, 11:05 AM
The rest of Melbourne behind Sydney? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you see how many letters there were in the paper concerning Barry Hall?

They were just angry Collingwood supporters who can now see that Cloke and Rocca could both have mounted much better defences under the new penalties system. :P

The reaction to Hall's reprimand-only was not anti-Sydney.

Most thought he shouldnt have gotten off,as it was sending a bad message to kids who play.

There you go....you have worked it out yourself. Not an anti-Sydney thing at all.

The fact they used a private jet to bring him down here only compounded the view that enough money will buy the right decision. ;)

And more worked by you. Well done. :clap:
Just an anti-rich thing eh.

Many of the people who were neutral have switched to West coast,not because they like them but because they dislike Sydney more. :whistle:

Apart from Frosty, who is not anon., no-one has been willing to support WCE in public.

starter

Garvinator
23-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Apart from Frosty, who is not anon., no-one has been willing to support WCE in public.
Since I am from qld, therefore this should be obvious- Go West Coast ;)

The reality is that i dont care much as they are both non melbourne sides :owned:

Watto
23-09-2005, 11:56 AM
I’m tipping West Coast to win. Even though Grand Finals are often blowouts - one horrible team broke my heart and caused me to lose all interest in football for a time by losing the one and only GF I’ve been to by almost 100 points (Aussie Rules was not my first love when it comes to football so I don’t feel bad about disowning them) - I think it will be close.

I’d like the Swans to win though and I’m glad Hall is playing, fool that he is. He’s very lucky to get off but it wouldn’t be satisfying if he was out.

Go SWANS!

ursogr8
23-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Since I am from qld, therefore this should be obvious- Go West Coast ;)

The reality is that i dont care much as they are both non melbourne sides :owned:

My original post was in the context of Melbourne based population.
But you are entitled to your preference.

Some-one on radio this morning said:
Sydney culture is to focus on the winners
Melbourne culture is to focus on the contest.
Care to comment from Marooned-land?

starter

Rincewind
23-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Care to comment from Marooned-land?

Focus on the beer.

Frank Walker
23-09-2005, 05:37 PM
No one voted for west coast

Alan Shore
23-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Focus on the beer.

10-4.

bergil
23-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Is it true that the only reason the grand final parade continues is to show the people of Victoria what the AFL trophy looks like? :P

Go the Swans!

four four two
24-09-2005, 12:04 PM
No,its so some crazy victorian can bump off an interstate full forward,those balconies on swanston street are beauties! :P ;)

bergil
24-09-2005, 01:43 PM
No,its so some crazy victorian can bump off an interstate full forward,those balconies on swanston street are beauties! :P ;)
Yeah but true to form they missed the target just like all the clubs in Victoria. :lol:

Mischa
24-09-2005, 06:07 PM
I think Sydney will win

Alan Shore
24-09-2005, 06:36 PM
I think Sydney will win

NS.

Yay, CONGRATS TO THE SWANS!!!

Spiny Norman
25-09-2005, 08:14 AM
What a CRACKER of a game. I have to give credit to the Swans, they played really well, played their game and didn't really allow the Eagles to play theirs to its full extent. Factors:

- Kerr's two injuries that kept him off the field for a large part of the game ... he was a positive factor late in the game when he came back on and almost helped the Eagles steal it.

- Swans forward line was much better than the Eagles. I thought that the Eagles midfield shaded the Swans for most of the game, but when it went into the forward line the Swans were able to convert their inside 50s more effectively.

Good for Sydney, good for football, I'm going to go off now and cry in my beer.

four four two
25-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Poor eagles kicking cost them dearly,the question is was Barry Hall charged for that head high tackle? ;)

McTaggart
25-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I think Sydney will win
I think that Sydney will win a close game by less than a goal!

bergil
25-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I think that Sydney will win a close game by less than a goal!
Good call, as your post was after the game :wall:

auriga
25-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Poor eagles kicking cost them dearly,the question is was Barry Hall charged for that head high tackle? ;)

thought there wasn't much in that tackle. arm wasn't swinging or too stiff.
did liven up the quarter though with all-in brawl :)

it was a great game. i would have enjoyed even if eagles had scored a last minute goal which i thought they were going to do.

Bereaved
25-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Good call, as your post was after the game :wall:

He knows that, Bergil!!

Would you like some more rope?? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

bergil
26-09-2005, 12:11 AM
He knows that, Bergil!!

Would you like some more rope?? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Take care and God Bless, Macavity
Don't worry about the rope its the beam and supports that will need to be reinforced ;)

bunta
26-09-2005, 11:10 AM
WOOHOO, i love sydney and they WON!!! :lol:

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Average TV viewing audience

National 3,387,353
Melbourne 1,202,242
Sydney 991,252
Perth 511,131
Brisbane 341,435
Adelaide 341,293

(Hobart figures not listed/surveyed. Don't kick me. :) )

starter

Garvinator
26-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Adelaide 293 only 293 for adelaide ;) :lol: :lol:

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 01:35 PM
^^
tks raggy''
Now corrected. Note the similarity between Adelaide and Brisbane.

four four two
26-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Sydney has 3 times more than Perth's population and they still cant manage a million viewers,just goes to show you rugby is their only true passion. ;) :P

bergil
26-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Sydney has 3 times more than Perth's population and they still cant manage a million viewers,just goes to show you rugby is their only true passion. ;) :P
That's true but we embrace all codes here unlike other states :hand:

four four two
26-09-2005, 02:24 PM
No one gives a stuff about Melbourne Storm here,Murdochs just wasting his money. ;)

bergil
26-09-2005, 05:26 PM
No one gives a stuff about Melbourne Storm here,Murdochs just wasting his money. ;)
If anyone deserves to lose money its him but why are victorian so xenophobic to other sports?

Denis_Jessop
26-09-2005, 05:40 PM
This whole AFL thing is a bit of a bore. I thought the Mighty Blues had finally buried South Melbourne in 1945 but apparently not. Now they'll have to do it all over again and make a proper job of it this time.

DJ

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 05:45 PM
If anyone deserves to lose money its him but why are victorian so xenophobic to other sports?

:eek:
We held the world record for 22 years on the biggest attendance at a soccer match. 95,400
How could you overlook that?

I would also be interested to see relative 'best' figures on Rugby League SOO. And the Bledisloe cup. Anyone?

starter

bergil
26-09-2005, 05:50 PM
We held the world record for 22 years on the biggest attendance at a soccer match. 95,400

I would also be interested to see relative 'best' figures on Rugby League SOO. And the Bledisloe cup. Anyone?

starter
Crud, when was that! Hampden park held over 100,000 before all the OH&S and do any number of South American venues

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Crud, when was that! Hamden park held over 100,000 before all the OH&S and do any number of South American venues

:eek: :eek:
1956 Olympic Soccer Final at the MCG.

You didn't know?

starter

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 05:54 PM
^^
We got 125,000 to the Billy Graham Crusade in the same year...but perhaps does not count as a sport then. :P

bergil
26-09-2005, 06:06 PM
:eek: :eek:
1956 Olympic Soccer Final at the MCG.

You didn't know?

starter
Ah so your talking Australia only

four four two
26-09-2005, 06:06 PM
No offense Starter, but I will think you will find that the 1950 world cup final between Brazil and Uruguay,played in Brazil,had more than 95,000 people at the game.The stadium they were playing in held over 100,000 people,hard to imagine empty seats for that game. ;)

bergil
26-09-2005, 06:26 PM

starter
Both have had 110,000 before the Teltra stadium was reconfigured. It now hold only 83,500

bergil
26-09-2005, 06:33 PM
And the world record for the olympics! :banana: :evilb: :banana:

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 06:40 PM
And the world record for the olympics! :banana: :evilb: :banana:

And I think we held the world record for a baseball game for a long time after 1956.

My comments were in response to you asking why we don't support other sports. Not sure why you are quoting Sydney attendances...no-one ever doubted those. :confused:

41,800.....St George v West-Tigers

starter

bergil
26-09-2005, 06:48 PM
And I think we held the world record for a baseball game for a long time after 1956.

My comments were in response to you asking why we don't support other sports. Not sure why you are quoting Sydney attendances...no-one ever doubted those. :confused:

41,800.....St George v West-Tigers

starter
But your only talking about one off's or exhibitions, 442 and I both took your post to mean Vic held the world record football attendance. Its you that injected attendances into this, I asked why are Victorian so xenophobic towards other sport?

ursogr8
26-09-2005, 07:04 PM
But your only talking about one off's or exhibitions, 442 and I both took your post to mean Vic held the world record football attendance. Its you that injected attendances into this, I asked why are Victorian so xenophobic towards other sport?

Ahhhh
So I see you are now convinced that Victorians will attend in big numbers
> golf
> horse-racing
> tennis
> Grand Prix
> Bledisloe
> SOO
> Cricket
> Stawell gift
> should I go on?

That is not fear or hatred of foreigners....i.e. xenophobic.

But if there is indigenous footy on Sat.arvo, at the same time as say the soccer

then we are
>choosey
> and patriotic.

But that is not xenophobic.

regards
starter