PDA

View Full Version : Drunkeness- What is the point?

Oepty
05-03-2005, 01:37 PM
What is the point to getting drunk? Why is it such a desirable thing among large numbers of people? Why is it a good thing?
As a non-drinker can someone please educate me of the benefits of getting drunk.

Scott

antichrist
05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
a
Well first you can forget your worries, but some people become worse instead. Even drown your sorrows.

b
You can laugh easier and feel happy, joyous, celebratory, yahooey.

c
It give one excuse to do outrageous, uncontrolled behaviour. Like the bash the missus around. I'm asking for it today. Or post swearing on the board like someone was expelled for.

d
It looses one up to do "c"

e
It can be a circuit breaker from being too serious, especially if not much hope or joy in life.

f
something to break the boredom
g
something to break the norms of society, though amongst some it is the norm.

H
disqualifies one from being a Muslim
I
enables one to see a ridiculous side to BB posters asking why get drunk
j
excuse for chickening out of a unwanted wedding
k
an excess of brain cells need eliminating.
l
enables one to laugh at pandantic BB posters who take themselves too seriously.
j
enables one to get caught for drunken driving
k
is a cover for when doing illegal behaviour
l
enable a loosening of one's sexual repression or caution

thats only for starters

JGB
05-03-2005, 02:52 PM
What is the point to getting drunk? Why is it such a desirable thing among large numbers of people? Why is it a good thing?
As a non-drinker can someone please educate me of the benefits of getting drunk.

Scott

There is no real point in getting drunk, it just happens on the way. I dont think drunkeness is really such a desirable thing among many people at all. To want to be drunk is another social problem completly. We (a few mates and I) were talking about this the other day; Its all about trying to get 'there' and stay at that relaxed level wihich is the real art to drinking. Knowing when you are going to reach the 'level' and just easing off and remaining in that zone. Being able to keep you senses and enjoy some drinks. The problem witn this game is simple; most people start drinking too fast and by the time they think its time to cool down, it's already too late as the last two drinks are still being 'processed'. You have to know your own body to drink a little responsibly.

I love a good drink and seriosuly I could not imagine my life without it, just like chess, travelling, climbing and few of lifes other pleasures.

Oepty
05-03-2005, 03:10 PM
a
Well first you can forget your worries, but some people become worse instead. Even drown your sorrows.

b
You can laugh easier and feel happy, joyous, celebratory, yahooey.

c
It give one excuse to do outrageous, uncontrolled behaviour. Like the bash the missus around. I'm asking for it today. Or post swearing on the board like someone was expelled for.

d
It looses one up to do "c"

e
It can be a circuit breaker from being too serious, especially if not much hope or joy in life.

f
something to break the boredom
g
something to break the norms of society, though amongst some it is the norm.

H
disqualifies one from being a Muslim
I
enables one to see a ridiculous side to BB posters asking why get drunk
j
excuse for chickening out of a unwanted wedding
k
an excess of brain cells need eliminating.
l
j
enables one to get caught for drunken driving
k
is a cover for when doing illegal behaviour
l
enable a loosening of one's sexual repression or caution

thats only for starters

Are these supposed to be good reasons for getting drunk? I can not see how any of them are any good.
Scott

Oepty
05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
There is no real point in getting drunk, it just happens on the way. I dont think drunkeness is really such a desirable thing among many people at all. To want to be drunk is another social problem completly. We (a few mates and I) were talking about this the other day; Its all about trying to get 'there' and stay at that relaxed level wihich is the real art to drinking. Knowing when you are going to reach the 'level' and just easing off and remaining in that zone. Being able to keep you senses and enjoy some drinks. The problem witn this game is simple; most people start drinking too fast and by the time they think its time to cool down, it's already too late as the last two drinks are still being 'processed'. You have to know your own body to drink a little responsibly.

I love a good drink and seriosuly I could not imagine my life without it, just like chess, travelling, climbing and few of lifes other pleasures.

It may not be a desirable thing to many people, but it does appear to be to at least some athletes, such as a member of the team who women the WNBL title who said on radio with relish that the team would wake up the following morning with large headaches as though it was something worth having. I see no attraction to that but it seemed she did. That incident, although a couple of weeks ago, is the trigger for this thread.

It is not having a couple of drinks and relaxing that I am talking about, it is going out with the aim of drinking as much alchohol as one can to get as drunk as one can that I am talking about. I just do not understand this kind of thinking at all. It is seems to be stupid.
Scott

Scott

antichrist
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
The bottle made me repeat "jkl"

Surely the following is sufficient reason:

JGB
05-03-2005, 03:28 PM
It is not having a couple of drinks and relaxing that I am talking about, it is going out with the aim of drinking as much alchohol as one can to get as drunk as one can that I am talking about. I just do not understand this kind of thinking at all. It is seems to be stupid.
Scott

Scott

Well your very intelligent Freddy Scott, im sure it is very stupid to get really drunk. Anything that hurts like hell the next morning can't be good for you, really. The aiming for drunkeness is of course irresponsible behaviour and is actually very unhealthy. I never 'aim' for this state of consiousness although I reach it occasionally. :uhoh:. It is a very difficult thing to describe to someone who does not drink. What should I say "try it"?! ...of course not.
I could equally ask why does somebody got to Church on Sunday morning as I do not. I do not understanding this thinking at all., and I can not "just try it" But alas I will not ask for this forum is already full with such threads.

Alan Shore
05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Some of AC's (the non-ridiculous ones) points are quite valid (enjoyment, stress relief etc.). Scott, can I ask if you yourself have ever actually been drunk before? It's all very well to sit back and tsk tsk but if you haven't experienced it, then you are in no position to really criticise.

Of course there are many reasons to drink.. however I'm not clear on whether you are referring to 'Why drink at all?' or 'Why consume an excessive amount that constitutes drunkenness?'

I think JGB gave a fairly good response regarding the social factor and about responsible drinking. For a couple of drinks, it can be the taste (I love the taste of beer and top-shelf spirits) thus it's great just for a drink when you're thirsty or on a hot day, the relaxation factor, calming stress, releasing a little inhibition and have that heightened sense of euphoria that accompanies a couple of cold beers.

As for 'excess', which is debatable really (maybe we can say, more than 4 standard drinks in a period of 1-2 hours or more than 6 in 2-3 hours) that can be for the same reasons as for drinking or a different kettle of fish altogether. When you drink more, obviously that sense of well-being gets even higher, numbs you a little and makes you into quite the social cat. If you want to break the ice with girls, go out dancing or even play some blitz chess (I swear I play at least 200 pts above my rating after a few drinks), then having a few drinks is a good thing I say.

Yet once you cross that threshold of what let's call a 'state of winningness', you're doing more harm than good. You might be sick, you might fall asleep and you more than probably won't feel too flash the next day. However, as JGB said, finding that threshold isn't always so easy.. psychologically your mind is thinking 'drinking = good, need more' with your mind only fixed on the present rather than the bigger picture of possible consequences. Some are alcoholics, just addicted insofar as the reflex of drinking is conditioned to the point of necessity to function, just like any other addictive drug.

Anyway, I haven't had a drink in about 3 weeks.. I used to have a few maybe once a week but don't really feel like drinking for now, that and busy with uni, oh well.. perhaps in the holidays. :)

Oepty
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I am not trying to be just critical of getting drunk, even though the thinking of going out to get totally and utterly drunk is stupid. This is a step further to me than just having one too many.

I have absolutely no problem with drinking, even though I do not myself. I don't think I have ever had even a full glass of any alcholic drink in my life although I have tried wine a few times, with various success as far as liking the taste. Maybe, although I think it is highly unlikely, next week I will have a drink or two if I am in a situation which I think it is appropriate. I have been astounded over time that intelligent people, including sportsmen who must value their body working well, would go out a dilerbrately drink as much as they could just for the sake of doing it. There must be some positive to it though I can't see what it is.

Scott

Alan Shore
05-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I am not trying to be just critical of getting drunk, even though the thinking of going out to get totally and utterly drunk is stupid. This is a step further to me than just having one too many.

I have absolutely no problem with drinking, even though I do not myself. I don't think I have ever had even a full glass of any alcholic drink in my life although I have tried wine a few times, with various success as far as liking the taste. Maybe, although I think it is highly unlikely, next week I will have a drink or two if I am in a situation which I think it is appropriate. I have been astounded over time that intelligent people, including sportsmen who must value their body working well, would go out a dilerbrately drink as much as they could just for the sake of doing it. There must be some positive to it though I can't see what it is.

Scott

What do you mean 'intelligent people'? The effects aren't that bad.. sheesh.

And, there's a reason athletes often don't, as alcohol does have quite an impact on elite athletics-styled athletes.

"You can't seriously want to ban alcohol! It tastes great, makes women appear more attractive, and makes a person virtually invulnerable to criticism." - Mayor Quimby

JGB
05-03-2005, 05:40 PM
"You can't seriously want to ban alcohol! It tastes great, makes women appear more attractive, and makes a person virtually invulnerable to criticism." - Mayor Quimby

There is definitely a 'shielding' element to drinking, and as Bruce stated before the taste can be very appealing. I myself, am a Wiskhy man, and evidently one must take caution when drinking hard liquor straight as I do. Respect for the alcohol and for ones person are both important, although I wont say I have not had some wicked nights when I have been 'trashed' (years back fo course :doh: ) .

Note to Freddy: Dont get wasted on hard liquor just yet; then your doing serious bodily harm esp. if its your first time. ;)

Kevin Bonham
06-03-2005, 11:44 PM
I've never been in the severely drunk state that I think Scott is talking about here. Some people enjoy getting so wasted that they can no longer remember their actions and have to find them out from others; personally, I would find this horrible and concerning and imagine I would do some very stupid things indeed in such a state.

I didn't drink at all for over a decade and have only been drinking fairly lightly since I started again about 7-8 years ago. The good thing about this is that my tolerance is pathetic and three or sometimes even two drinks will have quite a significant effect on me - sometimes even enough that other people will notice it. This means that drinking is not as expensive for me as it is for almost everyone else I know.

I enjoy the feeling of being fairly mildly intoxicated - but not so bad that I lose control over what I am doing.

Recently I attempted to play chess in this condition against a Hobart player with a rating over 1800. I have never played chess with alcohol in my system before. It was bizarre, I had no clue what I was doing, and maintaining focus on basic tactics was a constant effort. Yet in this state I kept finding myself still in won positions, which I would often just win with ridiculous efforts, and I duly crushed my opponent seven casual games to nil. He trotted out his customary excuse "nah, not playing well this evening, had a couple of glasses of wine before" and for the first time ever I was able to respond "so? so did I". :lol:

Several years ago a 1300s player played me at a party while he was quite drunk and I was totally sober. I won the first game fairly easily, he insisted (hic!) on a rematch. During the second he got progressively drunker, and between moves he would get up, wander over to the nearby dancefloor, dance, fall over, crawl back and make his move. In this condition he smashed me like a bunny with a series of piece sacs and combos. My only consolation was that he probably didn't remember it the next day.

Although some players play much better drunk probably 80-90% play worse.

JGB
06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
A gentleman (well not really, but for the sake of it ) at my old club had the crappy nickname "aus-der-flasche" meaning "out of the bottle". Every thursday he would drink until he was pretty trashed and would player better chess for it. It comes down to nerves I believe, he is normally (well i shouldnt say normally because he is 'normally drunk') very nervous around the chessboard. After his forth of fifth 'dark one' he'd start playing real chess as he gained his cool. He won the MTU championships in Bregenz last year after spending the previous six hours getting drunk in a pub. I will quote a statistic that is not in favour of drinking however; his DWZ rating has dived from about 1700 to 1350 in just three years. He actually has a serious alcohol problem. Of the 40 odd players at this club almost everyone drinks while playing chess in non tournament games and he is really the only player whos game does not suffer as a result, and actually improves. Such cases are rare even among harden drinkers.

firegoat7
07-03-2005, 02:22 AM

Scott

1.Carrots stuck in your nose
2. Eloquent Australian expressions such as "park a tiger", "hav a ralph", "goin for a slash", "maggotted", "totally wasted" " paro"
3. The behavioural a)wobbly and b) beetroot heads at the cricket
4. beer goggles
5. no pain
6. You imagine that you fight better
7. you can piss in your mates pocket without them remembering anything
8. the carpark boogie1, (sexual), carpark boogie2 (physical violence)
9. drink driving- nothing beats getting away with it creatively
10. drinking in a shout

Cheers Fg7

JGB
07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
1.Carrots stuck in your nose
2. Eloquent Australian expressions such as "park a tiger", "hav a ralph", "goin for a slash", "maggotted", "totally wasted" " paro"
3. The behavioural a)wobbly and b) beetroot heads at the cricket
4. beer goggles
5. no pain
6. You imagine that you fight better
7. you can piss in your mates pocket without them remembering anything
8. the carpark boogie1, (sexual), carpark boogie2 (physical violence)
9. drink driving- nothing beats getting away with it creatively
10. drinking in a shout

Cheers Fg7

A nice set of 'benefits' to drinking ? :uhoh:

arosar
07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
If you so sneakily go over to that other mob's BB, you'll see a link to a story of a Canadian IM who got so drunk he basically fell all over the board during play. Then when awoken, he proceeded to pull out his willie and pissed all over the board.

AR

JGB
07-03-2005, 11:04 AM
If you so sneakily go over to that other mob's BB, you'll see a link to a story of a Canadian IM who got so drunk he basically fell all over the board during play. Then when awoken, he proceeded to pull out his willie and pissed all over the board.

AR

Sounds like a pretty classy place! A real place to attract the juniors?! :hmm:

Oepty
07-03-2005, 11:43 AM

AR

I have heard what happened and it is very disappointing behaviour and a sad story.
Scott

pax
07-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Walking long distances in cold weather seems to be much easier with a few drinks in you (i.e too pissed to drive).

antichrist
07-03-2005, 02:43 PM
I used to put up posters twelve hours a night even during winter. I would have a flagon of fortified wine to keep warm. When I would go back the next day (if could stay awake) to see my work the last ones which went up were like music notes, up and down. Bit like an early Blue Poles eh?

Alan Shore
07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Perhaps I should test a theory. It gives all you who view this thread, the chance to be scientists for a day. Tonight, I'll have a few drinks (first time in a while). Then you can observe any behaviour changes apparent.

Wheeee! :cool:

arosar
07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
have any of youse fellas tried one of those trappiste beers at all?

AR

Alan Shore
07-03-2005, 08:20 PM
have any of youse fellas tried one of those trappiste beers at all?

AR

I don't know what you mean by 'trappiste'..... ?

JGB
07-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I don't know what you mean by 'trappiste'..... ?

You got me there... ? i thought I'd tried just about every beer. Obviously not! :D

eclectic
07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
You got me there... ? i thought I'd tried just about every beer. Obviously not! :D

probably after trappist monks

eclectic

antichrist
07-03-2005, 09:04 PM

I thought he may have meant trappist monks, who may have made wine.

I have had the RCC mass wine, not a bad drop, used to knock it off as an altar boy.

JGB
07-03-2005, 09:08 PM
I thought he may have meant trappist monks, who may have made wine.

I have had the RCC mass wine, not a bad drop, used to knock it off as an altar boy.

Skills! ;) Been on the wine myself tonight. Its monday, what better reason to Celebrate!

Alan Shore
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes! This is the 10,000th post in Non-Chess! Just goes to show how popular this forum is... :)

Anyway, I've finished a 6-pack of VB heavy.. and I can still type perfectly legibly.. beginning to regret not getting more but then again, it's all about 'responsibile drinking' isn't it? :)

JGB
07-03-2005, 11:58 PM
.. beginning to regret not getting more but then again, it's all about 'responsibile drinking' isn't it? :)

Is it? :hmm: Carn Bruce, you can put away a dozen no probs and still be responsible. :hand:

Alan Shore
08-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Is it? :hmm: Carn Bruce, you can put away a dozen no probs and still be responsible. :hand:

Putting away a dozen isn't a problem however there are uni classes tomorrow to consdier :)

Actually I was proud of myself that I managed to stay at uni till 7pm to attend all my lectures...

So insted of getting completely sloshed we'll leave it at that for now... until JGB and I meet and have the great drinking contest :D

JGB
08-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Putting away a dozen isn't a problem however there are uni classes tomorrow to consdier :)

Actually I was proud of myself that I managed to stay at uni till 7pm to attend all my lectures...

So insted of getting completely sloshed we'll leave it at that for now... until JGB and I meet and have the great drinking contest :D

You coming to Ballarat on the weekend?

Alan Shore
08-03-2005, 12:22 AM
You coming to Ballarat on the weekend?

Heh, I wish... insufficient time and money... best chance of an interstate tourn is Adelaide Uni Open.. otherwise, next tourn likely Gold Coast Open, I'll have graduated by then.

JGB
08-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Heh, I wish... insufficient time and money... best chance of an interstate tourn is Adelaide Uni Open.. otherwise, next tourn likely Gold Coast Open, I'll have graduated by then.

Oh Shame mate, thought you might be heading to Canberra at least? Thought we could 'put away a few' together. Im sure the time will come. Good on ya, study first mate. ;)

antichrist
08-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Scott,
I have retrieved out of archives especially for you.

Top Ten Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than Jesus
10. No one will kill you for not drinking beer.
9. Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
8. Beer has never caused a major war.
7. They don't force beer on minors who can't think for themselves.
6. When you have beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
5. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured to death over his brand of beer.
4. You don't have to wait 2,000+ years for a second beer.
3. There are laws saying that beer labels can't lie to you.
2. You can prove you have a beer.
1. If you have devoted your life to beer, there are groups to help you stop.

Spiny Norman
09-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Top Ten Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than Jesus.

:lol: LMAO ... that's pretty good AC, I've kept a copy to take to our elders meeting on Saturday.

Spiny Norman
29-03-2005, 07:16 PM
:lol: LMAO ... that's pretty good AC, I've kept a copy to take to our elders meeting on Saturday.

Forgot ... I was cooking breakfast and got distracted (what with setting up the BBQ, bacon+eggs, toast, etc).

Next one is in a couple of weeks. I've printed your Top 10 list out to intro the meeting (I'm chairing the discussion next time!). :eek: