PDA

View Full Version : chessbase guillotine problem

Garvinator
14-02-2005, 02:36 AM
This logic problem just appeared on the chessbase site in the christmas puzzles. Anyone want to have a go at the answer:

Recently a friend told me the following story about the death of his grandfather: "My grandparents used to go to church on Sundays. One day during the sermon, which was long and dry, my grandfather fell asleep. That week he had been reading a novel about the French Revolution and began to dream that he was a rich aristocrat living in a beautiful chateau in France.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside. A mob of peasants appeared, stormed the house, grabbed him and tied him up, dragged him to the market square, where there was a platform with a guillotine set up. My grandfather was led up the stairs, a priest muttered a few words to him and then his head was placed in the cradle of the guillotine. A hooded executioner approached and reached up for the lever that releases the blade. At that moment my grandfather was snoring quite loudly, so my grandmother reached out and pinched him on the back of his neck to wake him up. This was such a shock to my grandfather that he suffered a heart attack and died on the spot."

My reaction to the story of my friend: "I don't believe a word of that. You made it up." Why did I react in this way, how did I know the story is not true.

Alan Shore
14-02-2005, 03:03 AM
*Don't read this if you don't want to see a possible answer*

Well, I've got two theories. First is most plausible, second pretty abstract.

1/ If the grandfather was in a guillotine device, he would be lying on his back, with his neck facing up. Therefore, he would be expecting the fatal blow to be coming down onto the front of his neck, not from behind.

2/ If this was in a church, why would the grandmother be sitting behind the grandfather instead of beside? Alternatively if it was a certain type of stricter church, the men and women would not be seated together at all.

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 07:26 AM
*Don't read this if you don't want to see a possible answer*

Well, I've got two theories. First is most plausible, second pretty abstract.

1/ If the grandfather was in a guillotine device, he would be lying on his back, with his neck facing up. Therefore, he would be expecting the fatal blow to be coming down onto the front of his neck, not from behind.

2/ If this was in a church, why would the grandmother be sitting behind the grandfather instead of beside? Alternatively if it was a certain type of stricter church, the men and women would not be seated together at all.

There is a much simpler solution. PM me if you want it.

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 07:27 AM
This logic problem just appeared on the chessbase site in the christmas puzzles. Anyone want to have a go at the answer:

Recently a friend told me the following story about the death of his grandfather: "My grandparents used to go to church on Sundays. One day during the sermon, which was long and dry, my grandfather fell asleep. That week he had been reading a novel about the French Revolution and began to dream that he was a rich aristocrat living in a beautiful chateau in France.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside. A mob of peasants appeared, stormed the house, grabbed him and tied him up, dragged him to the market square, where there was a platform with a guillotine set up. My grandfather was led up the stairs, a priest muttered a few words to him and then his head was placed in the cradle of the guillotine. A hooded executioner approached and reached up for the lever that releases the blade. At that moment my grandfather was snoring quite loudly, so my grandmother reached out and pinched him on the back of his neck to wake him up. This was such a shock to my grandfather that he suffered a heart attack and died on the spot."

My reaction to the story of my friend: "I don't believe a word of that. You made it up." Why did I react in this way, how did I know the story is not true.

How could anyone possibly know what the Grandfather was dreaming if he died before waking?

Rincewind
19-02-2005, 09:54 PM
There is a much simpler solution. PM me if you want it.

I hid the solution in a message in this thread which I'll reveal tomorrow unless ayone has any objections. As BD was the only one to PM I guess most people either worked it out for themselves or weren't that interested anyway.

Rincewind
22-02-2005, 07:47 AM
^^

Garvin, do I have it right?