PDA

View Full Version : Should starter keep his competitiveness Indexes in his own thread?

Trent Parker
31-01-2005, 10:44 AM
From zonal thread

Must you post this rubbish in here.
Cant you keep it in your so called "competitive thread"

I for one wish that starter would keep his indexes to his own competitiveness thread. Maybe if enough people vote he might just do so!?

ursogr8
31-01-2005, 11:04 AM
^
TCN
Are you just another wannabe MOD like Bill?

:hmm:
:eek: :eek: You are a MOD.

A democratic MOD. asking through a plebiscite. :eek:
That is new for the BB.

You have not been PMing fg7 for ideas have you?

starter

firegoat7
31-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Can't claim any credit Starter, sorry. Although it is nice to see a democratic moderator. Makes a nice change.

cheers Fg7

ursogr8
16-02-2005, 01:09 PM
From zonal thread

I for one wish that starter would keep his indexes to his own competitiveness thread. Maybe if enough people vote he might just do so!?

TCN

Well this turned out to be a lemon for you on the BG methodology didn't it. Only 5 posters FOR out of a possible 694 registered posters.
I think Karthick will be on your wheel about wasting valuable server space by devoting a whole thread to this. And you a MOD. who should know better. :naughty:

starter

firegoat7
17-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Dear Starter,

A good lesson in democracy. It dosen't have to be based on popularity, participation is a legitimate measurement.

cheers FG7

Garvinator
17-02-2005, 03:23 AM
From looking at the current voting results, i see that DR is all on his own for no, could there be something in that for all of us ;)

Alan Shore
17-02-2005, 05:44 AM
For someone who keeps track of numbers so closely starter sure could use a lesson in statistics.. and how to not misrepresent them.

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 06:32 AM
For someone who keeps track of numbers so closely starter sure could use a lesson in statistics.. and how to not misrepresent them.

BD

Thanks BD.
I have had my lesson already from Bill, who has used this tactic (of counting the VOTES in one direction and contrasting with the total population) on more than one issue.
Feel free to take it up with him.

Of course the contrast is invalid. No-one is fooled by the tactic; it is just that sometimes the tactic neeeds to be put in stark terms to emphasize how illegitimate the tactic is.

Why (use the tactic) here? Because TCN created a whole thread as a knee-jerk-reaction to one of Bill's throw-away lines on the Zonal thread. I would have thought a MOD. would have been more disciplined as a poster.

starter

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 09:35 AM
BD
Why (use the tactic) here? Because TCN created a whole thread as a knee-jerk-reaction to one of Bill's throw-away lines on the Zonal thread. I would have thought a MOD. would have been more disciplined as a poster.

Knee jerk?

I created this thread and poll because i actually strongly agree with Bill when he posted...

Must you post this rubbish in here.
Cant you keep it in your so called "competitive thread"

And i wanted to see the opinions of other regular posters.... because there is no point in splitting a thread if people want the "competitive index" to stay in the thread.

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 09:38 AM
TCN

Well this turned out to be a lemon for you on the BG methodology didn't it. Only 5 posters FOR out of a possible 694 registered posters.
I think Karthick will be on your wheel about wasting valuable server space by devoting a whole thread to this. And you a MOD. who should know better. :naughty:

starter

the same could be said about your competitive index crap.

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Knee jerk?

I created this thread and poll because i actually strongly agree with Bill when he posted...

TCN

Well you could have said you firmly agree after his post on the zonal. Creating a thread, with a poll, seems over the top.

And i wanted to see the opinions of other regular posters.... because there is no point in splitting a thread if people want the "competitive index" to stay in the thread.

Splitting which thread?

starter

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 11:03 AM
the same could be said about your competitive index crap.

TCN

On the contrary; I think Karthick is interested in traffic. The competitive thread has generated 615 posts and 7519 views; contrast with the thread you have started.

starter

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 11:41 AM
TCN

Well you could have said you firmly agree after his post on the zonal. Creating a thread, with a poll, seems over the top.
Thats your opinion. Not mine. :hand:

Splitting which thread?

starter
At one stage i was tempted to split the zonal thread, ridding it of the competitiveness crap, creating another thread or dumping it in your competitiveness thread.

TCN

On the contrary; I think Karthick is interested in traffic. The competitive thread has generated 615......

And how many of these posts are yours? How many of those that are not yours are strictly linked to the thread? I assume that at the start of this thread most of it is arguements as to how useful/useless/flawed the competitive index is.

posts and 7519 views; Views to me means nothing. I click on a thread to get it off "unread". Doesn't mean i read the thread.

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Well Starter. I think this poll has more respect than other polls floating around.

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 12:04 PM
At one stage i was tempted to split the zonal thread, ridding it of the competitiveness crap, creating another thread or dumping it in your competitiveness thread.

TCN

Before you start a campaign to split each and every thread at the slightest sign of a divergence from the title I invite you to read fg7's thread on thread-splitting. Not only were the merits of infrequent splitting well explained by a number experienced posters, but that thread itself would have had at least 6 splits based on your 'tempted' campaign. :wall:

And how many of these posts are yours? How many of those that are not yours are strictly linked to the thread?

You can do your own homework TCN; you have the tools. :doh:

I assume that at the start of this thread most of it is arguements as to how useful/useless/flawed the competitive index is.

You admit to not reading the thread, but you assume the content (to suit your point of view). :rolleyes:

starter

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 12:13 PM
TCN

but that thread itself would have had at least 6 splits based on your 'tempted' campaign. :wall:

NO only once, only your competitiveness posts, oh there might be several movement of posts if you didnt get the hint that it was not wanted in that thread.

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 12:30 PM
:lol: from Page one "rules of thread splitting"

For what it is worth, my 100% rule would be

all thread splits should only be done after a democratic vote from the participants

simply place a notice on the thread and ask people whether the thread should be split.

Isn't that sort of what i'm doing here? aren't i giving the opportunity to others to vote on whether they think you should keep your "competitiveness Indexes" in your competitiveness thread? Thus wouldn't it make sense that, if you did not keep it in your competitiveness thread, the post could be moved to your competitiveness thread?

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 12:33 PM
NO only once, only your competitiveness posts, oh there might be several movement of posts if you didnt get the hint that it was not wanted in that thread.

TCN

So have you built up your confidence enough to go back and move the posts?

starter

Trent Parker
17-02-2005, 12:38 PM
TCN

So have you built up your confidence enough to go back and move the posts?

starter

I dont care about the past. Just about the present and future.

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 12:40 PM
:lol: from Page one "rules of thread splitting"

Isn't that sort of what i'm doing here? aren't i giving the opportunity to others to vote on whether they think you should keep your "competitiveness Indexes" in your competitiveness thread? Thus wouldn't it make sense that, if you did not keep it in your competitiveness thread, the post could be moved to your competitiveness thread?

You are big trouble with KB, TCN.
The authority on thread-splitting is KB not fg7. No point in quoting fg7's rules.
I advised you to read the thread.

starter

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 12:50 PM
I dont care about the past. Just about the present and future.

Well let me help you TCN

The St. George Leagues Club Chess Club guys have invited me to look at the indices for their forthcoming championship. (See their thread for tourney details on start date).
That is the near future.

starter

arosar
17-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Let's just ban this starter bloke. That's it. His stupid CI numbers are a bit like Starbucks stores in London. They're friggin' everywhere. Definitely a dangerous infection.

AR

Bill Gletsos
17-02-2005, 01:41 PM
To save TCN the trouble I has just looked at all 616 posts in the starters Competitive index thread.
41% of the posts are starters.
9.7% all posts sre starters posts with competitive index numbers quoted.

However of the last 31 posts, 20 have been starters of which 10 have been competitive index's.

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Let's just ban this starter bloke. That's it. His stupid CI numbers are a bit like Starbucks stores in London. They're friggin' everywhere. Definitely a dangerous infection.

AR

Amiel

You are all talk mate.

This is the third time you have harped on this solution; and you seem to have got nowhere. :rolleyes: ;)

Let me guess....you are stuck at work and you would rather be down the Park playing blitz...hence you are grumpy?

starter

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 02:40 PM
To save TCN the trouble I has just looked at all 616 posts in the starters Competitive index thread.
41% of the posts are starters.
9.7% all posts sre starters posts with competitive index numbers quoted.

However of the last 31 posts, 20 have been starters of which 10 have been competitive index's.

hi Bill

Very kind of you to do the MODs homework Bill.
Still trying out for the MOD team?

So, what point are you making? :confused:
Besides post count data? ;)

starter

Bill Gletsos
17-02-2005, 02:50 PM
hi Bill

Very kind of you to do the MODs homework Bill.
Still trying out for the MOD team?It doesnt have anything to do with being a MOD.
It was just some metrics on the thread.
It certainly is no worse than the rubbish you have been sprouting in "Rules of thread splitting- basic rights" thread in posts #114, #124, #126, $131, #133, #137 and #138.

So, what point are you making? :confused:I'm sure if you think about it long enough then you will eventually work it out.
If not then too bad.

arosar
17-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Let me guess....you are stuck at work and you would rather be down the Park playing blitz...hence you are grumpy?

Listen here Mr Stanning. We've had it with your nagging about this CI business OK. We want you shut up about it. Look, most people want you to keep to your own thread.

Now stick it in and sit down.

AR

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Listen here Mr Stanning. We've had it with your nagging about this CI business OK. We want you shut up about it. Look, most people want you to keep to your own thread.
Now stick it in and sit down.
AR
Amiel
Just as I thought...you are a little grumpy. Listen, BD gave a link to a humourous film clip yesterday....did you have a look? That will shake you out of your downer.
Or....another idea..........take out your holiday snaps and flick through....will bring back good memories.
Cheer up.

I'm sure if you think about it long enough then you will eventually work it out.

Bill
Spell it out if you have got a point.

regards

starter

Alan Shore
17-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I'll add 43 of those posts were mine arguing against the very premise of the thread. Consequently approximately 43 posts of starter's would be responses to my posts that failed to convince me competitive games in the first round were a good thing.

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 07:15 PM
<snip>
It certainly is no worse than the rubbish you have been sprouting in "Rules of thread splitting- basic rights" thread in posts #114, #124, #126, $131, #133, #137 and #138.

Bill
Yeh, I did notice that no-one was really responding and I was virtually talking to myself.

But we never did get right to the bottom of that rationale for 'deliberate thread-trashing' (as KB called it).

Thanks for reminding me, I must return there and see what others think of that behaviour.

regards
starter

Rincewind
17-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Trev,

I notice you've also gone back to your old 6σ mantra of a sig. line.

Oh, my favourite 6σ website is http://webpages.charter.net/jleedsjr/RUP/RUP.html

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 07:29 PM
I'll add 43 of those posts were mine arguing against the very premise of the thread. Consequently approximately 43 posts of starter's would be responses to my posts that failed to convince me competitive games in the first round were a good thing.

Thanks for these post-count statistics BD. :uhoh:
And I think that is a fair summary of the debate.

What you posted is a bump, and you have been doing it a lot lately.. so stop wasting server resources.

:lol:
And if you are serious > :lol: :lol:

AR

AR

Is this our normal AR calling for thread-discipline? :confused: :P ;)

starter

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Trev,

Oh, my favourite 6σ website is http://webpages.charter.net/jleedsjr/RUP/RUP.html

Thanks Baz
I have contracts with Telstra and they are heavily into that 6σ stuff.

The site you refer to has some humourous items I have never seen before. It is odd to reflect how some of these have been re-badged over time.
Best summed up in the oldy
> A consultant is some-one who borrows the clients watch to tell him the time.

starter

ps Have you got a list of sites you have not visited?

pps Oh yes. And your observation >> True. But I thought very few read my statistical stuff; so I am glad you noticed.

ppps While we are on signature lines..........I have size=1 dialled into the line and that is the way it shows from the worlk-LAN-laptop, and the Club dial-up.......but on this home dial-up it displays about size=3. What could cause that.

Rincewind
17-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks Baz
I have contracts with Telstra and they are heavily into that 6σ stuff.

The site you refer to has some humourous items I have never seen before. It is odd to reflect how some of these have been re-badged over time.
Best summed up in the oldy
> A consultant is some-one who borrows the clients watch to tell him the time.

starter

ps Have you got a list of sites you have not visited?

pps Oh yes. And your observation >> True. But I thought very few read my statistical stuff; so I am glad you noticed.

ppps While we are on signature lines..........I have size=1 dialled into the line and that is the way it shows from the worlk-LAN-laptop, and the Club dial-up.......but on this home dial-up it displays about size=3. What could cause that.

My plan is to get a browser wired into my brain and then surf the internet in my sleep. :)

The site above is a parody of the Official Ninja website which really is awesome; and by that I mean totally sweet!

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

Be prepared to spend several hours downloading and watching movies involving ninjas, pirates, ghosts and all permutations of the above.

About the font size thing. Could eb a setting in your browser. Which browser are you using from home. If that's not it, it is most likely your display/DPI settings in Control Panel->Display->Settings.

arosar
17-02-2005, 08:29 PM
What we need is a black belt who can reengineer this CI crap out of this forum.

AR

ursogr8
17-02-2005, 09:39 PM

AR

AR

hi AR,

You know, mate, we have never really put you under the forensic microscope. It might be an interesting exercise.
First we would have to discover what you stand for.
For example we know your stand over Mt Boilover. And we know your classic line on the thread 'volunteering in Australian chess', that you support Australian chess by buying chess books from xxxxx.
And on the success side we have appreciated your pics from all points of the compass.
But what makes you tick?

starter

arosar
17-02-2005, 09:57 PM
And we know your classic line on the thread 'volunteering in Australian chess', that you support Australian chess by buying chess books from xxxxx.
And on the success side we have appreciated your pics from all points of the compass.
But what makes you tick?

That's Australian Chess Enterprises and Chess Discount Sales thank you very much. Oh, and I did buy a chess themed tie at the London Chess Center when I was there. Great place that! But I'm not sure if Australian chess made any money out of me then.

While you mention pics...check these out. First one is in Christchurch when I was there in Jan this year and second one is the grounds of Kensington Gardens. Pretty eh?

Trent Parker
18-02-2005, 12:23 AM
You are big trouble with KB, TCN.
The authority on thread-splitting is KB not fg7. No point in quoting fg7's rules.
I advised you to read the thread.

starter

Big trouble with KB? Nah

The authority on thread splitting said the thread on thread splitting was Stupid, rubbish, hmmm was there any other words used? So Hey, think yourself lucky. I put up a poll for people to vote on instead of just going ahead and removing the posts.

I'm up to pages 7 and i'm not seeing much else.......

Trent Parker
18-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Well let me help you TCN

The St. George Leagues Club Chess Club guys have invited me to look at the indices for their forthcoming championship. (See their thread for tourney details on start date).
That is the near future.

starter

Hey starter. Go for it!..... in your own thread.

Trent Parker
18-02-2005, 12:40 AM
TCN
starter

This is funny now that STML is now one of the poll participants. :lol: :lol:

ursogr8
18-02-2005, 07:05 AM
That's Australian Chess Enterprises and Chess Discount Sales thank you very much.

AR
I knew these two, but there was always the chance you spread your largesse around.

Oh, and I did buy a chess themed tie at the London Chess Center when I was there.

Sorry; have not worn a tie for 25 years

While you mention pics...check these out. First one is in Christchurch when I was there in Jan this year and second one is the grounds of Kensington Gardens. Pretty eh?

The first pic. was very topical (for another thread). And second one I will have a gander at later.

See how more cheerful you are already. Just concentrate on positive things mate. Leave the deltas, differentials and indices to me.

regards
starter

ursogr8
18-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Big trouble with KB? Nah

The authority on thread splitting said the thread on thread splitting was Stupid, rubbish, hmmm was there any other words used? So Hey, think yourself lucky. I put up a poll for people to vote on instead of just going ahead and removing the posts.

I'm up to pages 7 and i'm not seeing much else.......

TCN

Your thread here was dead-in-the-water until I revived it for you.
And even after 39 posts no-one has produced a single argument in your favour. You guys are just a bunch of house-keepers doing a thread-policing job that used to be handled by one man, gg''.

starter

ursogr8
18-02-2005, 07:25 AM
This is funny now that STML is now one of the poll participants. :lol: :lol:

TCN

'funny' and STML; now there is an unusual pair of words in the one sentence.

Although we did notice his attempt at humour when he said a bump squandered resources.

Here is a challenge for you; find a single poll where K. and I have voted the same way. If he is on your side in a poll that simply means I am not on your side of the poll. He didn't even vote until I resurrected the thread.

starter

Trent Parker
18-02-2005, 10:51 AM
He didn't even vote until I resurrected the thread.
starter

Well, aren't you the stupid one! Couldn't keep you fingers from typing. :D

Ready to admit defeat?

Trent Parker
18-02-2005, 10:56 AM
TCN
And even after 39 posts no-one has produced a single argument in your favour.

No posts but nine votes to one (with 2 "don't care"). Nothing else needs to be said really.

ursogr8
18-02-2005, 11:15 AM
^

OK

= .................................................. ............................... :uhoh:

bye

Garvinator
18-02-2005, 01:19 PM
You guys are just a bunch of house-keepers doing a thread-policing job that used to be handled by one man, gg''.

starter
i hadnt said anything about the CI's being in different threads because usually the CI talk was about the tournament being discussed. So it was on topic and relevant :uhoh: I still complain about off topic posts etc.

Trent Parker
18-02-2005, 07:28 PM
i hadnt said anything about the CI's being in different threads because usually the CI talk was about the tournament being discussed. So it was on topic and relevant :uhoh: I still complain about off topic posts etc.

So you've joined the minority. Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

ursogr8
19-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Trev,

Baz

Are you idol idle at the moment?
Could you just comment on the spelling of the words in the title of this thread?

tks
starter

antichrist
19-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Listen Starter
I have no idea what this thread is about but it seems very boring so I don't want to know. Does it have a shelf life?

Rincewind
19-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Are you idol idle at the moment?
Could you just comment on the spelling of the words in the title of this thread?

"Indexes" is considered acceptable by the great unwashed masses these days. Interesting use of case though.

ursogr8
20-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Listen Starter
I have no idea what this thread is about but it seems very boring so I don't want to know. Does it have a shelf life?

a/c

This thread was not started by me, and seemed to be an orphan abandoned by its instigator after 1 post.
I have helped him out to get some momentum, but he does not seem to have any arguments in favour of his proposal, choosing instead to cobble together a band of yes-sayers, as if that proves anything.
If you and I stop posting here I think it dies a natural.

regards
starter