PDA

View Full Version : Arbiting FR

ursogr8
26-01-2005, 11:08 AM
A couple of Fischer_Random positions have been test-driven in the recent tournament at Box Hill (see Box Hill calendar 1st half 2005 for detail).
The playing field often asks questions about castling in F_R. The usual answer of K goes to g1 an Rook goes to f1 etc suffices as the answer on most occasions.

However, a curly one was raised last night.

If the F_R posion chosen as the start point had the K on g1 and the R on f1, before the first move, then what? Is castling (K-side for white in this instance) simply a matter of
> fingering (but not moving) the K then the R
>> then, writing 0-0 on the scoresheet?

Any arbiters?
Anyone?

starter

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2005, 11:28 AM
A couple of Fischer_Random positions have been test-driven in the recent tournament at Box Hill (see Box Hill calendar 1st half 2005 for detail).
The playing field often asks questions about castling in F_R. The usual answer of K goes to g1 an Rook goes to f1 etc suffices as the answer on most occasions.

However, a curly one was raised last night.

If the F_R posion chosen as the start point had the K on g1 and the R on f1, before the first move, then what? Is castling (K-side for white in this instance) simply a matter of
> fingering (but not moving) the K then the R
>> then, writing 0-0 on the scoresheet?

Any arbiters?
Anyone?

starter
Illegal start position.
In F_R the KIng must always be between the two rooks in the starting position.
Hence for it to be a legal starting position, if there is a R on f1 and the K on g1 then the other R must be on h1.

ursogr8
26-01-2005, 11:36 AM
^^
Thanks Bill
We mused on that.

Mr/Mrs Mod
Anyone there.

I goofed by posting on this 'draw offer thread'.
Could tidy up by moving to Arbiters query thread...but I think Bill has given the definitive answer so debate not likely
regards
starter

ursogr8
26-01-2005, 09:50 PM
thanks to Mr/Mrs Mod, who tidied up my misposting.

Thanks Bill.
Follow-on observation
> If the F_R position chosen started with R on f1, K on g1 and R on h1, then we can see the quaint requirment to move the QR (starting on f1) so that K-side castling (with the R on h1) can occur.
Not earth-shatering,,,,,just a bit odd.

starter