PDA

View Full Version : FIDE Online Olympiad Aug 13-Sep 15

Kevin Bonham
16-07-2021, 12:13 PM
https://www.fide.com/news/1206

25 teams seeded to second round, 15 progress to second round via qualifiers.

"Like a year ago each team will consist of six players, including at least 2 women, at least 1 player U-20 (born in 2001 or later), and at least 1 girl U-20 (born in 2001 or later). The time control will be 15 minutes + 5 seconds increment per move, starting from move 1. "

Kevin Bonham
17-07-2021, 06:26 PM
Note that there is a call for applications in the current ACF Newsletter.

ElevatorEscapee
06-08-2021, 01:22 PM
I note that Australia has been seeded in Division 2 (so won't get to play until after the earlier rounds).

The below link from the chess.com website gives an explanation of the schedule and the order the Divisions play. (If I am reading this correctly, Division 2 won't get to play until September 2nd).
https://www.chess.com/article/view/fide-online-chess-olympiad

Official website:
https://onlineolympiad.fide.com/ (Click on the "Final Entry list August, 5" to view the country rankings).

Is there any news on the players to represent Australia?

MichaelBaron
08-08-2021, 01:37 PM
I note that Australia has been seeded in Division 2 (so won't get to play until after the earlier rounds).

The below link from the chess.com website gives an explanation of the schedule and the order the Divisions play. (If I am reading this correctly, Division 2 won't get to play until September 2nd).
https://www.chess.com/article/view/fide-online-chess-olympiad

Official website:
https://onlineolympiad.fide.com/ (Click on the "Final Entry list August, 5" to view the country rankings).

Is there any news on the players to represent Australia?

I wonder why do seeding before the team composition in known.

Kevin Bonham
08-08-2021, 02:07 PM
I wonder why do seeding before the team composition in known.

It is known to the organisers. I believe it will be published in the next ACF Newsletter.

ElevatorEscapee
08-08-2021, 05:50 PM
^^ Hi Kevin, thanks for the advice. :)

For my next generic question (for anyone able to answer!), I note that a team from "Russia" is scheduled to play in the Chess Olympics.

Will the team be allowed to retain this name, or will they have to call themselves the team from the "Chess Federation of Russia", or simply the team from the "Russian Olympic Committee"?

I only bring this up as "Russia" wasn't allowed to compete in the most recent Tokyo Olympics due to a WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) ban in 2019.
However, this ruling did not stop a team of athletes from the "Russian Olympic Committee" (ROC) from being able to compete - with the ROC effectively considered a country in all but name.
(I thought this made the opening ceremony choice of the John Lennon song Imagine especially ironic at it has the lyrics "Imagine there's no countries"... but then again, it might have been with the Refugee Olympic team in mind as well. :) )

More info available here:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/what-country-is-roc-tokyo-olympics-russia-doping/100323416

JackRodgers
08-08-2021, 07:04 PM
Hi all,

As mentioned by Kevin, the Australian delegation for the upcoming FIDE Online Olympiad will be listed in the upcoming ACF newsletter. However, as the recently selected Manager/Captain for the Australian contingent, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce the preliminary lineup, who will likely be seeded into the second division of the tournament, thus beginning our campaign on the 2nd of September.

Australian Team 2021

Open (no selection limitations)
board 1: GM Temur Kuybokarov (WA)
board 2: GM Zong-Yuan Zhao (NSW)
first Open reserve: GM Moulthun Ly (Qld)
second Open reserve: FM Luis Chan (Vic)

Women (no age limitations)
board 3: WGM Julia Ryjanova (Vic)
board 4: WGM Jilin Zhang (NSW)
first Women’s reserve: WFM Giang Nguyen (SA)
second Women’s reserve: Chai Phan (SA)

Junior (FIDE Definition – born 2001 or later)
board 5: FM Albert Winkelman (ACT))
Junior reserve: Samuel Asaka (Vic)

Girl (FIDE Definition – female born 2001 or later)
board 6: Jody Middleton (Vic)
Girl reserve: Chao Xin Cheng (Vic)

Manager (& Team Captain)
Jack Rodgers (Qld)

We are also looking for some Australian chess players & or streamers (Twitch and Youtube) to represent on an official broadcast over the course of the event to enhance the experience for our Aussie viewers so please reach out to me if this interests you.

Congratulations again to all those selected and hopefully this Australian team can perform at its absolute best and is inspired by our phenomenal Olympic performances by fellow Australian reps recently.

JackRodgers
08-08-2021, 07:07 PM
^^ Hi Kevin, thanks for the advice. :)

For my next generic question (for anyone able to answer!), I note that a team from "Russia" is scheduled to play in the Chess Olympics.

Will the team be allowed to retain this name, or will they have to call themselves the team from the "Chess Federation of Russia", or simply the team from the "Russian Olympic Committee"?

I only bring this up as "Russia" wasn't allowed to compete in the most recent Tokyo Olympics due to a WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) ban in 2019.
However, this ruling did not stop a team of athletes from the "Russian Olympic Committee" (ROC) from being able to compete - with the ROC effectively considered a country in all but name.
(I thought this made the opening ceremony choice of the John Lennon song Imagine especially ironic at it has the lyrics "Imagine there's no countries"... but then again, it might have been with the Refugee Olympic team in mind as well. :) )

More info available here:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/what-country-is-roc-tokyo-olympics-russia-doping/100323416

Hey @ElevatorEscapee I do actually have a rough answer for you in regards to Russia's participation. They will likely be able to participate under their flag for this event as it is not 'the olympics' or 'a world championship' as per the ban. You may have noticed Russian players were allowed to fly the Russian flag at the recently concluded chess world cup and that is because, although being a world cup... it is not a world championship...

My interpretation is that the Russian Federation has found several wording loopholes to keep flying the Russian flag at certain events.

JackRodgers
21-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone,

The 4th division of the FIDE Online Olympiad is underway this weekend and is viewable at the tournament website https://onlineolympiad.fide.com/.

Australia will likely be joining when division 2 commences on the first weekend of September and more information around where this can be viewed will be available closer to date.

ER
26-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Division 3 pools out: action resumes on Friday
https://www.fide.com/news/1293

Scott Colliver
26-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Hong Kong won division 4 pool A but will not be part of Divsion 3 because on of their players was found to have breached the rules of the tournament.

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2021, 01:14 AM
I believe we're up tonight (2nd) at 6 pm AEST and in our pool are:

Philippines
Australia
Lebanon
Singapore
Indonesia
Ireland
Kyrgyzstan
Shenzhen China
Bangladesh
Chinese Taipei

Raymond Song is board 1 for Chinese Taipei.

We are outrated slightly by Shenzhen China and Indonesia but outrate the rest (some not by much).

I may be able to watch the first AUS match for the first night but not the others. Tomorrow's opponents are Bangladesh, Philippines, Chinese Taipei.

Scott Colliver
02-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Raymond Song is now a very strong IM, he might even become a GM in the future if he continues to play how he was before COVID. It is an excellent achievement seeing he took a long break from chess.

JackRodgers
02-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone,

Tonight, as Kevin has mentioned above, Australia will be beginning their campaign in a tough division 2 of the FIDE Online Chess Olympiad. Round 1-3 will be played 6-9pm AEST tonight, followed by rounds 4-6 tomorrow night 6-9pm and rounds 7-9 on Saturday evening between 6-9pm on Chess.com.

The top 3 teams of our pool will qualify for the 'Top Division' which is to be played next week and we will be doing our best as a team to qualify in one of these spots.

You can see the pairings and results here as well as who is playing for Australia however I will post periodic updates throughout the event: https://chess-results.com/tnr576505.aspx?lan=1&art=2&flag=30

We have an official Australian broadcast brought to you by popular Australian players and streamers, IM James Morris and Frank Lekkas on their Twitch channel 'Degenchess' which you can find at the following link https://m.twitch.tv/degenchess

Make sure you tune in to catch all the latest updates and undoubtedly a good time from these entertaining commentators!

If anyone has any questions about the event feel free to drop me a line or post in the chat.

Let's go Team Australia!

It's great that Australia viewers will have somewhere to go to get expert commentary following Australia's performance throughout the event

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2021, 06:42 PM
4-2 win over Bangladesh - good result. Enjoying the Degen commentary.

JackRodgers
02-09-2021, 06:52 PM
In Round 1 we faced a daring Bangladesh team who will likely be in the mix at the end of the competition and we prevailed 4-2. An excellent result from team Australia and I will post individual games after Rd. 3 finishes this evening. Special mention to Jody Middleton who bamboozled her opponent in a great French Defence miniature.

Australia 4 - Bangladesh 2

1. 1W GM Temur Kuybokarov - GM Niaz Murshed 0
2. 0B GM Moulthun Ly - GM Ziaur Rahman 1
3. 1W WGM Julia Ryjanova - WIM Sharmin Shirin Sultana 0
4. 1B WGM Jilin Zhang - WCM Walijah Ahmed 0
5. 0W FM Albert Winkelman - IM Rahman Mohammad Fahad 1
6. 1B Jody Middleton - WFM Anjum Noshin 0

JackRodgers
02-09-2021, 07:52 PM
Round 2 has just finished where we played the Philippines where we were unfortunately beaten 4-2. Draws on open boards and a nice win by Albert Winkleman were the points for the round.

Australia 2 - Philippines 4

1. .5B GM Temur Kuybokarov - IM Paulo Bersamina .5
2. .5W GM Moulthun Ly - IM Jan Emmanuel Garcia .5
3. 0B WGM Jilin Zhang - Francois Marie Magpily 1
4. 0W WFM Thu Giang Nguyen - WGM Janelle Mae Frayna 1
5. 1B FM Albert Winkelman - FM Alekhine Nouri 0
6. 0W Jody Middleton - Jerylyn Mae San Diego 1

JackRodgers
02-09-2021, 08:58 PM
Round 3 has just finished against Chinese Taipei in a round of many draw offers across the board where Australia eventually prevailed 4.5-1.5.

Australia 4.5 - Chinese Taipei 1.5

1. 1W GM Temur Kuybokarov - IM Raymond Song 0
2. 0B FM Luis Chan - Yeh Yang Liu 1
3. 1W Thu Giang Nguyen - Chi Chen 0
4. 1B Nguyen Mai Chi Phan - Ching Ang-Shih 0
5. .5W Samuel Asaka - Adelard Bai .5
6. 1B Chao Xin Cheng - Yu-Hsin Weng - 0

Australia sits in 4th on the pool table leading into tomorrow. We will face Lebanon in Rd.4, Singapore in Rd. 5, and a critical match against pool 2nd seed Indonesia in Rd. 7.

Make sure you tune in to https://m.twitch.tv/degenchess from 6pm AEST tomorrow.

Games to come shortly!

Lekko
02-09-2021, 09:19 PM
Anybody know what happened between Shenzen China and Lebanon? I recall that finishing 4-2. The official results are saying 3-3. Maybe I'm wrong?

Garvinator
02-09-2021, 11:39 PM
I am curious. Why are the rounds Thursday, Friday, Saturday, rather than Friday, Saturday, Sunday?

JackRodgers
03-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Congratulations to Team Australia on a phenomenal 6-0 sweep against Lebanon in Rd. 4. Most of the games went down to seconds with Australian's in good positions on all boards, managing to convert each with precision. Next up is Singapore. We are currently in 3rd position in the pool.

Australia 6 - Lebanon 0

1. 1W GM Temur Kubokarov - FM Faisal Khairallah 0
2. 1B FM Luis Chan - Samer Salman - 0
3. 1W WFM Thu Giang Nguyen - WIM Knarik Mouradian 0
4. 1B Nguyen Mai Chi Phan - WFM Elena Nekrasova 0
5. 1W Samuel Asaka - Adib Arkadan 0
6. 1B Chao Xin Cheng - Nour Assoum 0

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Amazing finish in the Indonesia/Philippines match:

8/6k1/8/5KP1/5R2/8/5p1r/8 w - - 0 1

This game has been a draw forever. White (Villa , Philippines) plays 116.Rf3?? (Ke6, Ke5, Kg4 all draw while Ke4 doesn't because it loses to ...Rh4!) Black (Sihite, Indonesia) plays 116...Rg2 117.Rf4 Rh2 118.Rf3 Rg2 draw. But on either move 116 or move 118 ...Rh8 was winning for black.

JackRodgers
03-09-2021, 08:02 PM
Rd. 5 was an absolute nailbiter where it was looking grim for Australia down 2.5-1.5 with our two junior boards with worse positions still to finish. In a miraculous effort from both Albert and Jody on Boards 5 and 6, both players turned these games into wins and took us to a 3.5-2.5 win over Singapore. Next up is the powerhouse Indonesia, and a result here would go a long way to securing a top 3 position.

Australia 3.5 - Singapore 2.5

1. 0B GM Temur Kuybokarov - IM Jingyao Tin 1
2. .5W GM Zong Yuan Zhao - IM Li Yang Hsu .5
3. 0B WGM Julia Ryjanova - WGM Qianyun Gong 1
4. 1W WGM Jilin Zhang - WFM Yang Hazel Liu 0
5. 1B FM Albert Winkelman - FM Qing Aun Lee 0
6. 1W Jody Middleton - Mei-en Emmanuelle Hng 0

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Have a bug with the chess.com system only showing 29 of the 30 games at once. At the moment I can't see Jody's game.

JackRodgers
03-09-2021, 08:17 PM
Have a bug with the chess.com system only showing 29 of the 30 games at once. At the moment I can't see Jody's game.

Hey Kevin,

If you go to the 'Top Players' tab on live chess and type 'Jody' her username will pop up and you can click on that to view :).

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Hey Kevin,

If you go to the 'Top Players' tab on live chess and type 'Jody' her username will pop up and you can click on that to view :).

Ta. That worked (once I worked out you need to press return after typing the name!)

Scott Colliver
03-09-2021, 08:56 PM
So it looks like 3rd or 4th, qualification or not.

Lekko
03-09-2021, 09:28 PM
So it looks like 3rd or 4th, qualification or not.

Phillipines and Shenzen China both have a tough final day. And with some of the upsets we've seen, anything can still happen.

MichaelBaron
03-09-2021, 10:03 PM
Amazing finish in the Indonesia/Philippines match:

8/6k1/8/5KP1/5R2/8/5p1r/8 w - - 0 1

This game has been a draw forever. White (Villa , Philippines) plays 116.Rf3?? (Ke6, Ke5, Kg4 all draw while Ke4 doesn't because it loses to ...Rh4!) Black (Sihite, Indonesia) plays 116...Rg2 117.Rf4 Rh2 118.Rf3 Rg2 draw. But on either move 116 or move 118 ...Rh8 was winning for black.

Nice! Will add this simple looking endgame to my collection of chess exercises!

JackRodgers
04-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Round 6 we came up against the might of Indonesia and they proved their seeding by overcoming the Aussies with a score of 5-1. Two draws to Temur and Jilin were our only consolation and after this round, we sit at 4th on the leaderboard, two points shy of both the Philippines and Shenzhen with weaker tiebreaks.

We've done the maths and figured out if we win our three matches today, against Ireland, Kyrgyzstan, and Shenzhen China, we will definitely qualify in the top 3 as the Philippines and Shenzhen are due to play each other in Round 8 and have the far tougher draw home.

Get ready for a scintillating Round 9 match against Shenzhen which could determine our future in the competition!

Australia 1 - Indonesia 5

1. .5W GM Temur Kuybokarov - GM Susanto Megaranto .5
2. 0B GM Zhao Zong Yuan - GM Novendra Priasmoro 1
3. 0W WGM Julia Ryjanova - IM Irine Kharisma Sukandar 1
4. .5B WGM Jilin Zhang - WIM Chelsie Monica Ignesias Sihite .5
5. 0W FM Albert Winkelman - IM Gilbert Elroy Tarigan 1
6. 0B Jody Middleton - WIM Shanti Nur Abidah 1

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2021, 07:48 PM
Bad beat against Kyrgyzstan; Shenzen China lost to Philippines with Freyna beating Zhao Xue so we have to beat Shenzen China.

JackRodgers
06-09-2021, 09:30 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

Australia qualifies for top division!

This morning I received an email from FIDE letting me know that Australia, despite coming 4th, will be playing in the top division of the Olympiad from Wednesday to Friday this week. We have been entered ahead of the Philippines who for unannounced reasons, will not be continuing in the competition.

More from me coming soon but please see our group seeding below:

https://chess-results.com/tnr577516.aspx?lan=1&art=0&flag=30

Scott Colliver
06-09-2021, 11:28 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

Australia qualifies for top division!

This morning I received an email from FIDE letting me know that Australia, despite coming 4th, will be playing in the top division of the Olympiad from Wednesday to Friday this week. We have been entered ahead of the Philippines who for unannounced reasons, will not be continuing in the competition.

More from me coming soon but please see our group seeding below:

https://chess-results.com/tnr577516.aspx?lan=1&art=0&flag=30

Great news Jack.

Perhaps you cannot answer this question but did at least one player from the Philippines get caught cheating?

JackRodgers
06-09-2021, 01:11 PM
Great news Jack.

Perhaps you cannot answer this question but did at least one player from the Philippines get caught cheating?

Hey Scott,

Not sure of details as of yet and I won't be able to share much when I do find out besides what is publicly posted. We have been told an announcement is forthcoming so I'll share that here when it happens :).

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Top division will be tough; we are outrated by 8 of the 9 teams. Great to be there though!

Scott Colliver
06-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Hey Scott,

Not sure of details as of yet and I won't be able to share much when I do find out besides what is publicly posted. We have been told an announcement is forthcoming so I'll share that here when it happens :).

Thank you for the reply. We will all have to wait for the announcement.

MichaelBaron
06-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Fantastic just to be there and play the likes of China! Well-done!

Scott Colliver
06-09-2021, 02:13 PM
Top division will be tough; we are outrated by 8 of the 9 teams. Great to be there though!

Yes it going to be tough but we can cause an upset or two.

kwoodley
06-09-2021, 05:43 PM

PH team to appeal disqualification in FIDE Online Olympiad (https://mb.com.ph/2021/09/06/ph-team-to-appeal-disqualification-in-fide-online-olympiad/)

Scott Colliver
06-09-2021, 05:55 PM
PH team to appeal disqualification in FIDE Online Olympiad (https://mb.com.ph/2021/09/06/ph-team-to-appeal-disqualification-in-fide-online-olympiad/)

Thank you for posting this link.

So they are not denying the offence by one of their players but are claiming it is not fair to punish the whole team because one player did the wrong thing. I cannot see them getting anywhere with the appeal.

Zelgiusfan5000
06-09-2021, 08:29 PM
I think it would be fair to remove the cheat’s points and see if the team would still qualify.

Bill Gletsos
06-09-2021, 08:39 PM
I think it would be fair to remove the cheat’s points and see if the team would still qualify.They would.

MichaelBaron
06-09-2021, 09:37 PM
I think it would be fair to remove the cheat’s points and see if the team would still qualify.

Given how severe impact of cheating is, it makes sense to disqualify the entire team to increase pressure on the cheaters. Likewise, not every single member of the Russian ollympic team was taking performance ehnancing drugs when Russia got disqualified from the Ollympics.

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2021, 10:01 PM
I can see arguments for disqualifying an entire team when the arbiters consider there has been a fair play violation. For instance points gained by an infringing player may impact unfairly on other teams by causing them to take risks they would not otherwise take, and that could result in a team including a cheater qualifying when it wouldn't have done so had that player lost every game in the first place. Also if one player in a team infringes, there's an increased risk that other players in the same team also infringed but weren't detected. And yes, having a severe penalty sets a strong example for would-be cheats, because if they are causing their team to be excluded they are more likely to face sanctions from their federations and not be selected again.

What I find surprising is that the tournament rules specify a range of penalties but don't make it clear why some might be applied in some cases and others in others.

Zelgiusfan5000
06-09-2021, 10:31 PM
Good points. I wasn’t really thinking about making the rule harsh simply for preventive measures, and how the cheated points could very easily affect other teams’ strategies and results.

Ian Rout
07-09-2021, 11:14 AM
If a player cheats then the team cheated, and when a team cheats the team is penalised in any sport. That possibly impacts innocent team members, which isn't unusual.

If the only punishment is loss of the ill-gotten points then that isn't much of a penalty. Even if it drops a team out of the top three we don't know that they would have qualified without cheating.

If the penalty is considered unfair to other players then an approach could be to restrict the team to five boards in remaining rounds - the innocent players aren't held accountable for the guilty board, but they can't get a benefit from it either. That still leaves the problem that a team that cheated progresses at the expense of another, which isn't a good look for the sport.

(For the purpose of discussion I'm accepting that cheating occurred, or if you prefer considering it hypothetically.)

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2021, 05:04 PM
I have a lot of sympathy for the rest of the Philippines team because they played very well and have (subject to appeal) been undone by a player who came in for the last 4 games and performed nearly 1000 points over rating, and could have played at their rating and lost all those games and the team would have still been 2nd.

Scott Colliver
08-09-2021, 06:48 AM
Does anyone know what time our games start?

Desmond
08-09-2021, 08:09 AM
I have a lot of sympathy for the rest of the Philippines team because they played very well and have (subject to appeal) been undone by a player who came in for the last 4 games and performed nearly 1000 points over rating, and could have played at their rating and lost all those games and the team would have still been 2nd.

I have a lot of sympathy for them too, but I think the ban is the only correct decision.

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 11:17 AM
I can see arguments for disqualifying an entire team when the arbiters consider there has been a fair play violation. For instance points gained by an infringing player may impact unfairly on other teams by causing them to take risks they would not otherwise take, and that could result in a team including a cheater qualifying when it wouldn't have done so had that player lost every game in the first place. Also if one player in a team infringes, there's an increased risk that other players in the same team also infringed but weren't detected. And yes, having a severe penalty sets a strong example for would-be cheats, because if they are causing their team to be excluded they are more likely to face sanctions from their federations and not be selected again.

What I find surprising is that the tournament rules specify a range of penalties but don't make it clear why some might be applied in some cases and others in others.

This sums it up exactly. If the board in question in our game with Philippines result was reversed, we would've drawn the match and thus not taken the significant risk to consider every match from then on a 'must-win' situation.

Team captains were told during the technical meeting at the beginning of the tournament that they were responsible for their teams playing fairly and we were all notified from day dot that if one member was found to have broken fair play rules, the entire team would be penalised, like in any team sport.

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Announcing Australia's matches beginning tonight 0800UTC!

Tonight Australia will begin their top division campaign, beginning with a first-round match against Olympiad favourites China who have Ding Liren, Wei Yi, Hou Yifan and Ju Wenjun on their first four boards! Rounds 1-3 will be played at 0800UTC (6pm AEST), 0900UTC, and 1000UTC. Rounds 4-6 and 7-9 will follow this format on Thursday and Friday evenings.

Rd 1. China

Rd. 2 Greece

Rd. 3 Iran

Rd.4 Georgia

Rd.5 Romania

Rd.6 Armenia

Rd.7 Kazakhstan

Rd. 8 Mongolia

Rd. 9 Indonesia

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2021, 11:59 AM
I have a lot of sympathy for them too, but I think the ban is the only correct decision.

I agree and good to see it was spelled out to teams in the briefing that this would happen. Which renders the appeal pointless. I've seen one media report it's been rejected though that report misgendered the player involved.

I think getting through to the next stage was Australia's key goal here and we've done that so anything else is a bonus. There are a few teams we will be lucky to get anything much against but some we should at least be competitive with.

Lorieas
08-09-2021, 12:34 PM
Australia first tho. Am i right bois

Scott Colliver
08-09-2021, 12:51 PM
Australia first tho. Am i right bois

Australia will not finish first in the Pool, but I don't think we will finish last either. I have confidence the ladies and gentlemen in the team can cause a few upsets

Lorieas
08-09-2021, 01:00 PM
I agree mate. Asutralia is very strong in chess like we are at swimming.

Scott Colliver
08-09-2021, 05:32 PM
Are we having more of the great commetary from Degenchess tonight?

Myan
08-09-2021, 05:42 PM
Is it possible to investigate which game in question that triggered their cheat detections?
Or was it all of the games from the player who cheated?

Lekko
08-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Are we having more of the great commetary from Degenchess tonight?

Of course.

Lorieas
08-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Im not sure about that. You may need to consult Scott Coliver. I heard that a low consisten cpl meants that they are cheating coimbine with consistant move times. Also if they just have a sussy baka auora then u know its down cheating.

Lorieas
08-09-2021, 05:46 PM
im looking forward to the results!!!!! Will they get banned forever or just for 1 year

HAHAHAHA
08-09-2021, 05:54 PM
This sums it up exactly. If the board in question in our game with Philippines result was reversed, we would've drawn the match and thus not taken the significant risk to consider every match from then on a 'must-win' situation.

Team captains were told during the technical meeting at the beginning of the tournament that they were responsible for their teams playing fairly and we were all notified from day dot that if one member was found to have broken fair play rules, the entire team would be penalised, like in any team sport.

Thanks Jack for organizing and captaining the Aussie team.
The fact that cheating was pre-empted and consequences detailed at the tech meeting makes an appeal a mute point, as has already been said.
Philippines cheated so as per the rules they are disqualified. But on a moral note sympathy to the rest of the team that played fairly.

HAHAHAHA
08-09-2021, 05:56 PM
Of course.

awesome, looking forward to it. Forget Norway chess24 commentary. Degen is where its at ;)

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 06:25 PM
The first result is in for Australia vs. China, Temur has drawn with GM Wei Yi! A great result but to say I'm surprised would be a lie, Temur is all class this tournament.

ER
08-09-2021, 06:39 PM
... the entire team would be penalised, like in any team sport.

For clarification purposes. Any examples of such team sports and countries involved?

Russia of course wasn't penalised for any specific "team" sport illegal activities but for 'running a state-sponsored doping program'

FIDE has already used a draconian whole country banning rule in cases other than cheating. (Bulgaria for financial discrepancies (?) and Mongolia for not paying money owed to an international trainer).

Having said that I am 100% for whole squad banning if one or more of their players are caught cheating without reasonable doubt in online or OTB team events.

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 06:42 PM
For clarification purposes. Any examples of such team sports and countries involved?

Russia of course wasn't penalised for any "team" sport illegal activities but for 'running a state-sponsored doping program'

FIDE has already used a draconian whole country banning rule in cases other than cheating. (Bulgaria for financial discrepancies (?) and Mongolia for not paying money owed to an international trainer).

Having said that I am 100% for whole squad banning if one or more players are caught cheating without reasonable doubt in online team events.

In Olympic events, say a 4x100 metre relay or team cycling event, if one player was found to be using steroids or other performance enhancers, the entire team gets stripped of their medal. Personally I see the Olympiad as chess' version of the Olympics hence why I've drawn a comparison to that.

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2021, 06:46 PM
That was a great effort by Australia but China just too good when the clocks got low. 0.5-5.5 doesn't reflect what a fight we gave them there; there were a few games we were objectively winning.

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 06:47 PM
Australia goes down to China 5.5 -.5.

Up against a Chinese team fielding the likes of GM Wei Yi, GM Yu Yangi, and women's world championship GM Ju Wenjun, any points here would be considered a good result. Temur was the only Aussie player to manage a draw however each of our other players had drawish or even better positions (Albert Winkelman and Jody Middleton) before a strong Chinese team outplayed us under time pressure. Outblitzed! Next up is Greece.

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2021.09.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "KuybokarovTemur"]
[Black "LOVEVAE"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B94"]
[WhiteElo "2537"]
[BlackElo "2676"]
[TimeControl "900+5"]
[EndTime "1:22:48 PDT"]
[Termination "Game drawn by repetition"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Bc4 Qb6 8.
Bb3 e6 9. a4 Qa5 10. Qd2 h6 11. Bxf6 Nxf6 12. f4 Nd7 13. f5 Nc5 14. O-O-O Bd7
15. Kb1 O-O-O 16. Rhf1 Kb8 17. fxe6 fxe6 18. Qe3 Be7 19. Qg3 Bf6 20. Qxd6+ Qc7
21. Qxc7+ Kxc7 22. a5 Bc8 23. Nde2 b5 24. axb6+ Kxb6 25. Na4+ Nxa4 26. Bxa4 Bb7
27. Nf4 Rxd1+ 28. Rxd1 Rd8 29. Rxd8 Bxd8 30. Nxe6 Bf6 31. Nf4 Bxe4 32. g3 g5 33.
Nd3 Bd4 34. Kc1 Bg1 35. h4 gxh4 36. gxh4 Bxd3 37. cxd3 h5 38. Bd1 Bf2 39. Kc2
Bxh4 40. Bxh5 Kc5 41. Bf7 Bf6 42. Bc4 a5 43. Kb3 a4+ 44. Kxa4 Bxb2 45. Kb3 Ba1
46. Ka2 Bc3 47. Kb3 Ba1 48. Ka2 Bc3 49. Kb3 Ba1 1/2-1/2

ER
08-09-2021, 07:05 PM
Australia goes down to China 5.5 -.5.

Up against a Chinese team fielding the likes of GM Wei Yi, GM Yu Yangi, and women's world championship GM Ju Wenjun, any points here would be considered a good result. Temur was the only Aussie player to manage a draw however each of our other players had drawish or even better positions (Albert Winkelman and Jody Middleton) before a strong Chinese team outplayed us under time pressure. Outblitzed! Next up is Greece.

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2021.09.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "KuybokarovTemur"]
[Black "LOVEVAE"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B94"]
[WhiteElo "2537"]
[BlackElo "2676"]
[TimeControl "900+5"]
[EndTime "1:22:48 PDT"]
[Termination "Game drawn by repetition"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Bc4 Qb6 8.
Bb3 e6 9. a4 Qa5 10. Qd2 h6 11. Bxf6 Nxf6 12. f4 Nd7 13. f5 Nc5 14. O-O-O Bd7
15. Kb1 O-O-O 16. Rhf1 Kb8 17. fxe6 fxe6 18. Qe3 Be7 19. Qg3 Bf6 20. Qxd6+ Qc7
21. Qxc7+ Kxc7 22. a5 Bc8 23. Nde2 b5 24. axb6+ Kxb6 25. Na4+ Nxa4 26. Bxa4 Bb7
27. Nf4 Rxd1+ 28. Rxd1 Rd8 29. Rxd8 Bxd8 30. Nxe6 Bf6 31. Nf4 Bxe4 32. g3 g5 33.
Nd3 Bd4 34. Kc1 Bg1 35. h4 gxh4 36. gxh4 Bxd3 37. cxd3 h5 38. Bd1 Bf2 39. Kc2
Bxh4 40. Bxh5 Kc5 41. Bf7 Bf6 42. Bc4 a5 43. Kb3 a4+ 44. Kxa4 Bxb2 45. Kb3 Ba1
46. Ka2 Bc3 47. Kb3 Ba1 48. Ka2 Bc3 49. Kb3 Ba1 1/2-1/2

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 07:51 PM
In round 2 we came up against Greece and unfortunately went down 4-2 but fought hard on all boards.

Albert Winkelman was the standout of the round on board 5, winning against International Master Evgenios Ioannidis with the black pieces! Temur again held strong on board one against Grandmaster Dimitrios Mastrovilis with the black pieces and Chao Xin was very fortunate to get a draw on board 6 in an objectively lost position, after threefold repetition was reached while on low time.

Elliot I'm not entirely sure how to post the game interface as you did, flick me a PM when you get the chance so I can do this :). I'll post the PGN of Albert's game below...

Next up we play Iran.

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2021.09.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "IM Nuvas"]
[Black "FM Albert Winkelman"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "D85"]
[WhiteElo "2373"]
[BlackElo "2329"]
[TimeControl "900+5"]
[EndTime "2:42:11 PDT"]
[Termination "Hot_Sponge won by resignation"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 5. Bd2 Bg7 6. e4 Nb6 7. Be3 O-O 8. Be2
Nc6 9. Nf3 Na5 10. b3 c5 11. Rc1 cxd4 12. Nxd4 Bd7 13. Nd5 Nc6 14. O-O Nxd5 15.
exd5 Nb4 16. Bf3 Nxa2 17. Rc4 a5 18. Qd2 Nb4 19. Rfc1 Be8 20. Bh6 Bxh6 21. Qxh6
Qd6 22. Nc6 f5 23. Nxb4 axb4 24. Rh4 Rf7 25. g3 Bd7 26. Rcc4 Rg7 27. Rxb4 b5 28.
Kg2 Ra2 29. Rbd4 Qc5 30. Rd2 Ra3 31. Rd3 Ra2 32. Qe3 Qxe3 33. Rxe3 Rd2 34. Rb4
g5 35. Re2 Rd3 36. Re5 Rd2 37. Be2 Rg6 38. Rxe7 Rxd5 39. Bf3 Rdd6 40. g4 f4 41.
Be4 Rg7 42. Re5 h6 43. Bd5+ Kf8 44. f3 Re7 45. Rbe4 Rxe5 46. Rxe5 b4 47. Kf2 Ra6
48. Ke2 Bb5+ 49. Kd2 Ra2+ 50. Kc1 Rxh2 51. Be4 Bd7 52. Bd5 Rf2 53. Kd1 Be8 54.
Ke1 Rb2 55. Rf5+ Ke7 56. Kd1 Bd7 57. Rf7+ Kd6 58. Bc4 Bc6 59. Rf6+ Kc5 60. Rxh6
Bxf3+ 61. Kc1 Rg2 0-1

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 08:17 PM
For those interested in watching events unfold live with commentary. IM James Morris, FM Jack Puccini and Frank Lekkas are on Twitch streaming live at the following link:

https://m.twitch.tv/degenchess

JackRodgers
08-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Australia was downed 5.5-.5 by Iran in Round 3, with GM Zong Yuan Zhao the sole player to pick up a half-point with a short draw against GM Ehsan Gaem-Maghami who notably, holds the record for the most games played in a simultaneous exhibition (604 with a 97% win rate). Temur was unlucky not to draw with world-cup 4th round hero GM Pouya Idani, missing a draw at the death in a game that had the eval bar swinging.

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2021.09.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Ehsan_GhaemMaghami"]
[Black "Megazz"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B10"]
[WhiteElo "2496"]
[BlackElo "2281"]
[TimeControl "900+5"]
[EndTime "3:20:37 PDT"]
[Termination "Game drawn by agreement"]

1. c4 c6 2. e4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. d4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. Qb3 Bg7 7. cxd5 O-O 8. Be2
Na6 9. Bf3 Qb6 10. Nge2 Rd8 11. O-O Qxb3 12. axb3 Nb4 13. Ra5 a6 14. Bf4 Bg4 15.
Bxg4 Nxg4 1/2-1/2

Tomorrow Australia faces Georgia, Romania, and Armenia, the former of the two being two of our closest matchups in terms of average ratings.

See you then!

Desmond
09-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Well done aussies, it was always going to be a tough ask.

... GM Ehsan Gaem-Maghami who notably, holds the record for the most games played in a simultaneous exhibition (604 with a 97% win rate). Just wow! From wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehsan_Ghaem_Maghami):

... on 9 February 2011 to regain the Guinness record for simultaneous chess games after facing more than 600 players in over 25 hours.

Ehsan Ghaem-Maghami, then 28 years old, won 97.35 percent of his games which began on 2011/02/08 in Tehran's Shahid Beheshti University, a feat reportedly making him the new Guinness title holder of the game.[5]

Of the total 604 games, Ghaem-Maghami won 580, lost 8 and drew 16 in a feat that took more than 25 hours and treading around 55 kilometres (34 mi) as he moved from opponent to opponent. "I am so happy to break the record" a victorious yet exhausted Ehsan remarked, adding "... ,but now I have to break my sleep record". Reportedly, a physician, a masseur and a dietician were monitoring him throughout the match.

JackRodgers
09-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Australia Wins!

Australia upset Georgia in Round 4 fielding a team including 4 out of 6 of our 'reserve' players. Everyone played exceptionally and we were unlucky not to win 5-1, with Albert Winkelman coming within a whisker of the game of the tournament so far.

Australia 4 - Georgia 2

0 GM Mchedlishvili, Mikheil 2621 - GM Ly, Moulthun 2502 1
1 IM Petriashvili, Nikoloz - FM Chan, Luis 0
0 IM Lomineishvili, Maia - WGM Zhang, Jilin 2246 1
0 IM Purtseladze, Maka 2229 - WFM Nguyen, Thu Giang 2119 1
1 IM Kacharava, Nikolozi 2036 - FM Winkelman, Albert 2257 0
0 Pipia, Ekaterine 1734 - Cheng, Chao Xin 1440 1

Next up is Romania, another team of similar standard to Georgia.

JackRodgers
09-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Rd. 5 Australia went down by the narrowest of margins to Romania, losing 3.5-2.5. Temur played a very nice game on Board One to topple GM Bogdan-Daniel Deac with the white pieces. Jilin was the other winner, where she won with black for the second round in a row! Albert managed to hold for a draw with extremely solid defence in the middle/endgame.

Australia 2.5 - Romania 3.5

1 GM Kuybokarov, Temur 2134 - GM Deac, Bogdan-Daniel 2556 0
0 FM Chan, Luis 1777 - GM Miron, Lucian-Costin 2479 1
0 WGM Ryjanova, Julia 2242 - IM Peptan, Corina-Isabela 2355 1
1 WGM Zhang, Jilin 2246 - WFM Nastase, Andreea-Cristina 1893 0
.5 FM Winkelman, Albert 2257 - FM Stoleriu, George 2143 .5
0 Middleton, Jody 1850 - WFM Ciolacu, Alessia-Mihaela 1884 1

In round 6 we play an Armenian team desperate for the win. Let's go Australia!

JackRodgers
09-09-2021, 08:56 PM
Australia holds Armenia to a 3-3 tie!

A big result here for Australia, holding the world's #7 country (by average top 10 ratings) to a tie effectively ending Armenia's chances of quarter-final qualification. GM Zong Yuan Zhao was in no mood to mess around on Board 2 against GM Hovhannes Gabuzyan, winning in exactly 30 moves out of a dynamic London system. WGM Julia Ryjanova picked up her first win on a very tough women's Board 1 spot, knocking over experienced GM Elina Danielian with the black pieces. WFM Mai Chi Phan also played an impressive endgame, exchanging knight for bishop into a slightly better rook endgame which she managed to convert with good king activity.

I will post Zong Yuan Zhao's game here in the morning...

Australia 3 - Armenia 3

1 GM Hovhannisyan, Robert 2556 - GM Kuybokarov, Temur 2134 0
0 GM Gabuzyan, Hovhannes 2521 - GM Zhao, Zong-Yuan 2525 1
0 GM Danielian, Elina 2358 - WGM Ryjanova, Julia 2242 1
0 WIM Gaboyan, Susanna 2083 - WFM Phan, Nguyen Mai Chi 2139 1
1 IM Gharibyan, Mamikon 2382 - Asaka, Samuel 2254 0
1 WFM Mkrtchyan, Mariam 2005 - Cheng, Chao Xin 1440 0

Some great results today and looking forward to finishing on a high tomorrow against Kazakhstan (the current leaders), Mongolia and the Indonesia rematch in Round 9.

MichaelBaron
09-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Australia Wins!

Australia upset Georgia in Round 4 fielding a team including 4 out of 6 of our 'reserve' players. Everyone played exceptionally and we were unlucky not to win 5-1, with Albert Winkelman coming within a whisker of the game of the tournament so far.

Australia 4 - Georgia 2

0 GM Mchedlishvili, Mikheil 2621 - GM Ly, Moulthun 2502 1
1 IM Petriashvili, Nikoloz - FM Chan, Luis 0
0 IM Lomineishvili, Maia - WGM Zhang, Jilin 2246 1
0 IM Purtseladze, Maka 2229 - WFM Nguyen, Thu Giang 2119 1
1 IM Kacharava, Nikolozi 2036 - FM Winkelman, Albert 2257 0
0 Pipia, Ekaterine 1734 - Cheng, Chao Xin 1440 1

Next up is Romania, another team of similar standard to Georgia.

What a result on women's boards!
well done!

JackRodgers
10-09-2021, 07:06 PM
Australia (almost) causes the upset of the tournament against top-of-the-table Kazakhstan!

A rejuvenated Australian team continued on from their form yesterday, going down by the smallest possible margin to a team that has won all of their matches thus far, including a spectacular win against China. Wins on Board 1 and 2 from Temur Kubokarov and Moulthun Ly as well as a great draw from Jilin Zhang meant the team came agonizingly close to a result.

Next up we play Mongolia who sits at the bottom of the ladder going into this round.

Australia 2.5 - Kazakhstan 3.5

1W GM Kuybokarov, Temur 2134 - GM Jumabayev, Rinat 2562 0
1B GM Ly, Moulthun 2502 - GM Khusnutdinov, Rustam 2523 0
.5W WGM Zhang, Jilin 2246 - IM Saduakassova, Dinara 2412 .5
0B WFM Nguyen, Thu Giang 2119 - IM Dauletova, Gulmira 2184 1
0W Asaka, Samuel 2254 - IM Zhalmakhanov, Ramazan 2464 1
0B Middleton, Jody 1850 - WFM Kamalidenova, Meruert 1987 1

JackRodgers
10-09-2021, 07:49 PM
Rd. 8 - Australia goes down 4-2 to Mongolia.

Again Australia was strong on Boards 1 and 2 with Zong Yuan Zhao once again proving his London system is a force to be reckoned with. Moulthun Ly won a fine game with the black pieces for his second win in a row. In the final round, we'll play Indonesia in the division 2 rematch. Indonesia have way outperformed their rating average in this event and will be looking to get into the top 3 or 4 spots!

Lekko
10-09-2021, 09:57 PM
Rd. 8 - Australia goes down 4-2 to Mongolia.

Again Australia was strong on Boards 1 and 2 with Zong Yuan Zhao once again proving his London system is a force to be reckoned with. Moulthun Ly won a fine game with the black pieces for his second win in a row. In the final round, we'll play Indonesia in the division 2 rematch. Indonesia have way outperformed their rating average in this event and will be looking to get into the top 3 or 4 spots!

ZYZ's first game with the London:
- *stream groans*
- *ZYZ sacs queen*
- *stream cheers*

ZYZ's second game with the London:
- *stream cheers*
- *ZYZ wins again*
- *stream cheers louder*

The stream wants more London's now!

HAHAHAHA
21-09-2021, 06:58 PM
Having trouble finding the games. Is there a link to the games themselves somewhere.???

Good job Zong Yuan on using the London a la Kamsky (and others)

Ian Rout
21-09-2021, 09:27 PM
Having trouble finding the games. Is there a link to the games themselves somewhere.???
Chess-results has a link:

http://chess-results.com/tnr577516.aspx?lan=1

They would also be on TWIC.

MichaelBaron
23-09-2021, 12:14 AM
The Russian Media is portraying winning of the Ollympiad as a ''great victory''.... :).

Leonid Sandler
23-09-2021, 02:16 PM
The Russian Media is portraying winning of the Ollympiad as a ''great victory''.... :).

Yes, it was fantastic victory.Russian team won 15 matches in a row! By the way not only the Russian media reported about very deserving win for Team Russia.Please see the report from the Australian SBS Radio outlet https://www.sbs.com.au/language/russian/audio/russia-won-the-online-chess-olympiad-in-brilliant-style