PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Victorian Open (now 23-26 Sept) [CANCELLED]

Thai Ly
20-06-2021, 09:38 PM
This a new thread to supersede the previous thread about the 2021 Victorian Open (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18447-2021-Victorian-Open-(postponed-to-23-26-Sept)).

This new thread sets out the new tournament details caused by its postponement.

2021 Victorian Open

Thursday 23rd September Monday 26th September
Hosted by Melbourne Chess Club on behalf of Chess Victoria

Tournament Page (Current entry list, entry form) (https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/2021-victorian-open/summary)

WHERE: Melbourne Chess Club
66 Leicester St
Fitzroy, VIC

CAPACITY: 80 players maximum (May change in accordance with current MCC COVID protocol. Be sure to enter early!)

TIMETABLE: Round 1: Thu 23rd Sep , 7.00pm
Round 2: Fri 24th Sep, 10.30am
Round 3: Fri 24th Sep, 3.30pm
Round 4: Sat 25th Sep, 10.30am
Round 5: Sat 25th Sep, 3.30pm
Round 6: Sun 26th Sep, 10.30am
Round 7: Sun 26th Sep, 3.30pm

ENTRY FEES: $90 Full, $80 Concession / Junior.
GMs/WGMs and IMs/WIMs free if entered by Saturday 18th September.

EARLY BIRD: $10 early bird discount if paid by Saturday 18th September.

PRIZES ($3750 - All guaranteed!):
1st: $1200
2nd: $700
3rd: $350
4th: $250
5th: $125
Rating 1: 1st: $250, 2nd $125
Rating 2: 1st: $250, 2nd $125
Rating 3: 1st: $250, 2nd $125

FORMAT: 7 Round Swiss.
90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move time controls

BYES: Up to 2 half point byes allowed in rounds 1-5.

FORFEIT TIME: 30 minutes after published round start time

CHIEF ARBITER: Alexej Khamatgaleev (0426 731 726, lehak10@hotmail.com)
ORGANISER: Thai Ly (0421 912 296, melbchessclub@gmail.com)

RATING: The event will be ACF and FIDE (https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_details.phtml?event=258869) rated.

ENTRY: Online via Tornelo webpage (Click here) (https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/2021-victorian-open/summary), or in person at MCC.

CURRENT LIST OF PLAYERS: See Tornelo webpage or check this thread from time to time.

PAYMENTS: By credit card (for online entries) or cash at MCC or to the tournament organiser.

Thai Ly
20-06-2021, 09:54 PM
Below is a list of the current entries.

Most of these entries were from players who entered prior to the postponement and whose entry has been carried over.

Luke Ainsworth
Benjamin Akok
Rheyansh Annapureddy
Pardeep Bahra
Roger Beattie
Zac Bennett
Aden Buhagiar
Suryansh Chauhan
Chao Xin Cheng
Tejas Cherukuvada
Vikas Cherukuvada
Barnaby Chiverton
Fergus Chiverton
Rad Chmiel
Peter Clark
Joseph Daffy
Cheng Dai
Ari Dale (IM)
Damien de Pyle
Jack De Rooy
Samuel De Rooy
Arthur Gao
Jaden Gregory
Paul Haberecht
Adam Halabe
Anthony Harris
James Hartley
Patrick Hatzipavlis
Thomas Hendrey
Wilbur Hong
Xavier Hong
Liang Hong
Kerry Hopkins
Henry Jackson
Leo Kalina
Archit Kannan
Adam Kelly
Dillon Kirchen
Jackie Li
Tedric Li
James Mak
James Morris (IM)
Laura Nan
Om O'Carroll
Leo Pasukov
Oliver Pearl
Daniel Poberezovsky
Marcus Raine
Nethaji Rathinalingam
Chanakya Reddy Patti
Paul Rehill
Maickel Rodriguez
Haran Salasan
Emilio Santin
Colin Savige
Arjun B. Srinivasan
Swadha Sunil Datir
Neelesh Susindran
Ryder Testolin
Sulia Van Sebille
Eluri Vyshnavi
Chris Wallis (FM)
Cunmeng Wang
Anthony Wang
Elizabeth Warren
Felix Wyss
Jesse Zafirakos

Thai Ly
20-06-2021, 09:59 PM
As noted in the previous thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18447-2021-Victorian-Open-(postponed-to-23-26-Sept)/page2) (see posts 21 and 30), any person who has entered the tournament is entitled to a refund of their entry fee payment.

A number of people have exercised this option.

The following is a list of those who have withdrawn.

Matthew Chin
Regan Crowley
Nicholas Ilic
Goran Ilic
Stephen Jago
Tair Kuanyshev
David Lovejoy
Behrang Mohamadi
Stephen Navra
Roark Navra
Alexandros Pappas
Harrison Trewin
Samuel Trewin

ER
21-06-2021, 12:04 AM
I can't find the entry/payment link on site provided above.

On the individual Tornelo files (*) it has me as having paid

Which I don't think is the case since I can't locate such transaction on my credit card records
and I also cannot find my name on the entry list.

Please clarify, thanks in advance! E.

PS If capacity of entries has been reached please put me onto a waiting list so I can replace some person who withdraws if any. Cheers E.

(*) I don't know why I have to use a user / password in order to log on to Tornelo to search for MCC related stuff.
I also don't know and I don't really care about what agreements MCC has made with that company but I honestly don't understand why
do I have to provide Tornelo with my credit card acc/no. and other personal details since MCC already has those details

ER
22-06-2021, 08:46 AM
done. see you all there! E.

Thai Ly
23-06-2021, 01:57 PM
I can't find the entry/payment link on site provided above.

Thank you ER for commenting on the issue of not finding the entry/payment link.

We have looked at the issue and we think that the issue relates to the fact that the Tornelo tournament page had reached its (initial) limit of 80 registrants. This included registrants who then subsequently withdrew.

We will see how to best resolve this issue, but in the meantime we have temporarily lifted to limit of tournament registrants as a short term solution.

ER
23-06-2021, 03:38 PM
Thank you ER for commenting on the issue of not finding the entry/payment link.

We have looked at the issue and we think that the issue relates to the fact that the Tornelo tournament page had reached its (initial) limit of 80 registrants. This included registrants who then subsequently withdrew.

We will see how to best resolve this issue, but in the meantime we have temporarily lifted to limit of tournament registrants as a short term solution.

Thanks Thai. actually, I managed to enter by clicking on a small key labelled "play"

In case the limit of entries has been reached and no further withdraws have taken place, so be it.

BTW I will not ask for a refund of my entry fee as it is my policy never to ask for refunds from club and/or State associations organised tournaments.

So please keep the money as a donation to a whatever use you see fit.

Cheers, E.

Lex
13-07-2021, 10:35 PM
Good day Thai Ly,

Could you please tell me how many people are currently on the waiting list? I can only see 80 registrants on the Tornelo page.

Cheers

Thai Ly
14-07-2021, 11:56 PM
MCC confirms that the current field limit of 80 players has been reached.

Consequently, entry and payment into the Vic Open via Tornelo is now closed. This will only be reopened if the filed limit is increased (in response to changes in Victorian Government COVID restrictions)

Any person wishing to be listed on the Vic Open waiting list should email MCC directly at melbchessclub@gmail.com.

We currently have a single player on the waiting list.

In the event that the field limit is increased or an a spot in the tournament opens up due to a withdrawal, MCC will contact the nnext person on the waiting list confirm his/her entry and payment.

Thai Ly
15-07-2021, 12:02 AM
Below is the current field, which is at capacity of 80 players.

Luke Ainsworth
Benjamin Akok
Rheyansh Annapureddy
Pardeep Bahra
Roger Beattie
Zac Bennett
Roland Brockman
Aden Buhagiar
Mason Carter
Suryansh Chauhan
Chao Xin Cheng
Tejas Cherukuvada
Vikas Cherukuvada
Barnaby Chiverton
Fergus Chiverton
Peter Clark
Joseph Daffy
Cheng Dai
Ari Dale (IM)
Damien de Pyle
Samuel De Rooy
Jack De Rooy
Arthur Gao
Jaden Gregory
Samuel Grigg
Paul Haberecht
Adam Halabe
Anthony Harris
James Hartley
Patrick Hatzipavlis
Thomas Hendrey
Wilbur Hong
Xavier Hong
Liang Hong
Kerry Hopkins
Henry Jackson
Leo Kalina
Archit Kannan
Adam Kelly
Dillon Kirchen
Oliver Li
Tedric Li
Jackie Li
James Mak
Cameron McGowan
James Morris (IM)
Laura Nan
Lucas Ni
Om O'Carroll
Leo Pasukov
Oliver Pearl
Daniel Poberezovsky
Kris Quek
Lucien Rae Gentil
Marcus Raine
Nethaji Rathinalingam
Chanakya Reddy Patti
Paul Rehill
Elliot Renzies
Maickel Rodriguez
Haran Salasan
Emilio Santin
Colin Savige
Daniel Solomontchik
Arjun B. Srinivasan
Swadha Sunil Datir
Neelesh Susindran
Ryder Testolin
Randheer Thogata
Sulia Van Sebille
Eluri Vyshnavi
Chris Wallis (FM)
Cunmeng Wang
Ruicheng Wang
Anthony Wang
Elizabeth Warren
Garth Whitney
Felix Wyss
Micah Young
Jesse Zafirakos

Edit - Have just received a message from Joseph Daffy that he is withdrawing from the tournament. His spot will now be offered to the next person on the waiting list.

Lex
15-07-2021, 08:29 AM
MCC confirms that the current field limit of 80 players has been reached.

Consequently, entry and payment into the Vic Open via Tornelo is now closed. This will only be reopened if the filed limit is increased (in response to changes in Victorian Government COVID restrictions)

Any person wishing to be listed on the Vic Open waiting list should email MCC directly at melbchessclub@gmail.com.

We currently have a single player on the waiting list.

In the event that the field limit is increased or an a spot in the tournament opens up due to a withdrawal, MCC will contact the nnext person on the waiting list confirm his/her entry and payment.

Thanks Thai Ly, I have just sent an email to MCC to be added to the waiting list (Alexander Buda)

Cheers

Thai Ly
05-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Cancellation of 2021 Victorian Open (23-26 Sept)

Dear Victorian chess players

Melbourne Chess Club (MCC) regrets to advise that it has decided to cancel the 2021 Victorian Open.

The 2021 Victorian Open had 80 registered entrants and had been rescheduled (after an earlier COVID lockdown in July) to be played at MCC during the AFL Grand Final long-weekend of 23 to 26 September 2021.

MCC has made this decision after the Victorian Government's most recent announcement concerning the future status of the current COVID lockdown.

Given projected time-frames set out in this announcement for the easing of Victorian Health Directives that restrict gatherings of people, MCC has determined that it cannot feasibly host the 2021 Victorian Open as intended.

Chess Victoria has been informed of MCC's decision to cancel the 2021 Victorian Open.

Over the next few weeks, MCC will process refunds to all players who had paid money to enter the tournament.

MCC apologises for any inconvenience and hopes to announce further chess activities, whether online or OTB (once permitted), in the near future.

Regards

Melbourne Chess Club

Thai Ly
05-09-2021, 10:42 PM
Mods - please amend the title of this thread to note cancellation. Please also archive the thread once the month of September has ended.

Michael. I
05-09-2021, 11:09 PM
So will they un-cancel the Grand Final Eve blitz (albeit online, if so) now that this weekender isn't taking place?

ER
06-09-2021, 12:01 AM
[...]
Over the next few weeks, MCC will process refunds to all players who had paid money to enter the tournament. [...]

Hi Thai, no need to refund my entry fee.
Please accept the money as a donation to the club in whichever use the committee sees fit. E.R.