PDA

View Full Version : Asian Continental Champs (Hybrid)

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2021, 05:03 PM
http://chess-results.com/tnr561222.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1&flag=30
https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/asian-hybrid-championship-2021#live

GM Temur Kuybokarov (AUS) is seventh seed.

MichaelBaron
24-05-2021, 02:21 AM
I am surprised that only one Australian player is taking part...and curiously he is the only one who qualified already (I believe Yakkuboev - the current leader qualified already as well)

Desmond
24-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Temur is 2 pawns up and winning in Rd 4. Depending on the result on board 1, he could move into =1st.

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Defeating Priasmoro with black is a good scalp.

Metro
26-05-2021, 02:21 AM
Temur now equal 1st with 7 others on 4/5.
http://chess-results.com/tnr561222.aspx?lan=1&art=1&rd=5&flag=30

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2021, 03:11 AM
Temur's draw with Yakubboev was a fun game:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/asian-hybrid-championship-2021/5/1/2

MichaelBaron
26-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Temur's draw with Yakubboev was a fun game:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/asian-hybrid-championship-2021/5/1/2

Pity he did not play 33.Kh1 - black would be in a lot of trouble.

ER
26-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Temur is winning vs Lu, Shanglei (2615) https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/asian-hybrid-championship-2021/6/1/2

Desmond
26-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Currently outright first 5/6, though board 4 could catchup if there's a decisive result.

MichaelBaron
27-05-2021, 02:00 AM
Just wondering: why some countries are represented by so many players but Aus for a single player (and the one who happened to qualify already) only?

Metro
27-05-2021, 06:23 AM
Currently outright first 5/6, though board 4 could catchup if there's a decisive result.
Temur equal first now with his countryman,Nodirbek Yakubboev.Both from Tashkent,Uzbekistan.

Desmond
27-05-2021, 08:33 PM
Temur with white defeated GM Xu, Yinglun 2554 and is now outright first 6/7. Not sure what his perf rating would be, but it's an outstanding performance.

Scott Colliver
27-05-2021, 09:25 PM
It is great to see Australia's best player putting in such a great performance.

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Not sure what his perf rating would be, but it's an outstanding performance.

TPR 2818 so far. (Logistic TPR from pax's site.)

ER
27-05-2021, 09:43 PM
Temur made it to FIDE's Person of the Day status
https://www.fide.com/

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2021, 01:47 AM
Kuybokarov - Xu, Yinglun

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 Nbd7 7.Bc4 Qb6 8.Bb3 e6 9.a4 Qa5 10.Qd2 h6 11.Bxf6 Nxf6 12.f4 Nd7 13.f5 Nc5 14.0-0 Bd7 15.Ba2 Be7 16.fxe6 fxe6 17.Qe2 Qb4 18.Qh5+ Kd8 19.Rad1 Bf6 20.Rxf6! gxf6 21.Qf7 Re8 22.Qxf6+ Kc8 23.Nf5!! exf5 24.Qxd6 Nd3 25.Qxd3 Qb6+ 26.Kh1 Bc6 27.Bf7 Rf8 28.Qd6 Rxf7 29.Qe6+ Kb8 30.Qxf7 fxe4 31.Nd5 Bxd5 32.Qxd5 Ka7 33.a5 Qc5 1-0

33...Qc5?? looks like a mouse slip for ...Qe3 or ...Qf2 but I don't think black can hold that anyway.

Metro
28-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Temur equal first now with his countryman,Nodirbek Yakubboev.Both from Tashkent,Uzbekistan.
Round 8 and paired with another Uzbeki, Shamsiddin Vokhidov.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Round 8 and paired with another Uzbeki, Shamsiddin Vokhidov.

Who wins and becomes the new leader on 6.5 with four including Temur now on 6. Also one player with a game still in progress on 5.5/7.

Andrew Hardegen
28-05-2021, 09:23 PM
Who wins and becomes the new leader on 6.5 with four including Temur now on 6. Also one player with a game still in progress on 5.5/7.

That would be Jingyao Tin (SGP, 5.5/7), who has defeated Maghsoodloo. So there are two players on 6.5. The final round pairings for Boards 1-3 should be

Tin - Vokhidov
Kuybokarov - Sindarov
Ervan - Yakubboev

Andrew Hardegen
28-05-2021, 10:43 PM
The top 7 players, from those who have not already qualified for the World Cup, will qualify from this tournament. Kuybokarov and Yakubboev have already qualified from previous tournaments. It will be interesting to see who else will join them. 6.5/9 will certainly be enough, but it is almost certain that at least 6.0/9 will be needed to have any chance (it may not be enough for some). The first-level tiebreak is Average Rating of Opponents Cut 1. Expect fighting chess tomorrow with a bunch of players on 5/8 needing wins.

Leonid Sandler
29-05-2021, 06:46 PM
The top 7 players, from those who have not already qualified for the World Cup, will qualify from this tournament. Kuybokarov and Yakubboev have already qualified from previous tournaments. It will be interesting to see who else will join them. 6.5/9 will certainly be enough, but it is almost certain that at least 6.0/9 will be needed to have any chance (it may not be enough for some). The first-level tiebreak is Average Rating of Opponents Cut 1. Expect fighting chess tomorrow with a bunch of players on 5/8 needing wins.

Congratulations goes to Temur on his excellent performance! Being the only Australian representative at Hybrid Asian Championship he fought hard in every game and fully deserved his plus 4 score. I believe that was the best individual performance by any Australian player at Asian Championships. It is a pity that about 25 eligible Australian players decided not to play missing an excellent opportunity missed. Congratulations also goes to WA arbiters who spend countless hours supervising Temur.

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2021, 09:00 PM
Temur finished =3rd-7th, and 3rd on tiebreak. Very good result. I believe he gets $2,000 US (4th is only $1,000 US!)

Vokhidov and Tin Jingyao (who Temur did not play) =1st on 7/9 with Vokhidov first on tiebreak.

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2021, 10:33 PM
Item showing the hybrid venues for the event:

http://asianchess.com/news/strict-fair-play-controls-in-asian-continental-hybrid-chess-championship/

MichaelBaron
30-05-2021, 01:27 AM
Item showing the hybrid venues for the event:

http://asianchess.com/news/strict-fair-play-controls-in-asian-continental-hybrid-chess-championship/

I wonder if the event was publicized to the clubs? MCC could have been a great venue for the Melbourne players to play etc. My understanding is...there was no need to be a GM to play so there were opportunities for our players...if only...

Andrew Hardegen
30-05-2021, 06:56 AM
I wonder if the event was publicized to the clubs? MCC could have been a great venue for the Melbourne players to play etc. My understanding is...there was no need to be a GM to play so there were opportunities for our players...if only...

The tournament was listed under FIDE events in the ACF Notices section of the April ACF newsletter. MCC would have been a good hub for Melbourne players, but you would have had to cancel 2 Saturday Allegros. :)

You would also need to find two suitably qualified and competent arbiters who would be prepared to set up the venue and surveillance for a hybrid tournament, and take a week off work in May to arbit it. It is hard to find volunteers with this level of dedication.

The increasing number of hybrid tournaments will allow players, associations and federations to save a great deal of money that they would typically spend on travel and accommodation for such events. But there is a greater labour cost. Who meets this cost? Presumably the players and their clubs or state associations.

But yes, given that the tournament was open to all players rated 2300 and above, and offered 7 World Cup qualification spots and decent prize money, I was surprised not to see more interest from Australian players.

MichaelBaron
30-05-2021, 10:01 AM
But yes, given that the tournament was open to all players rated 2300 and above, and offered 7 World Cup qualification spots and decent prize money, I was surprised not to see more interest from Australian players.

Indeed...I suspect they did not know that the event was taking place (btw,MCC has multiple rooms so can be done same time as allegros :)). I wonder if Fide plays the arbiters, room hire etc. or is it done by the player or do the players have to organize the arbiters, venue. If its the players job, would be good for ACF to step in early next time and start publicizing the event and arranging venues i guess.

Vlad
30-05-2021, 10:45 AM

You already specified 1 good reason why many Australians did not play - 1) one needs to find arbiters.

A few more reasons I can easily add to the list.

2) Very steep entry fees for this event even for grandmasters.
3) Possible unfair play - even the fact that an arbiter is present does not guarantee that there is no cheating. In fact, in the recent hybrid zonal, there is a very high probability that one of the island participants did something.
4) Flying to the world cup is too expensive and too troublesome at the moment. You only get about 3000 dollars and spend them on tickets and accommodation. When you come back, you have to spend another 3000 on quarantine. Plus you kill 2 weeks of your life in a hotel.

MichaelBaron
30-05-2021, 11:56 AM
You already specified 1 good reason why many Australians did not play - 1) one needs to find arbiters.

3) Possible unfair play - even the fact that an arbiter is present does not guarantee that there is no cheating. In fact, in the recent hybrid zonal, there is a very high probability that one of the island participants did something.
4) Flying to the world cup is too expensive and too troublesome at the moment. You only get about 3000 dollars and spend them on tickets and accommodation. When you come back, you have to spend another 3000 on quarantine. Plus you kill 2 weeks of your life in a hotel.

wow, entry fees for Grandmasters...
and re flying to world cup - I imagine if the Australian participant can not play it in a "Hibrid'' mode...it may be impossible even money aside.

Vlad
30-05-2021, 04:47 PM
From Emil Sutovsky’s facebook:

К сожалению, в Азиатском отборе были случаи читерства. И кто же теперь возместить расходы игроков ( включая взноса порядка $400), которых "кинули"?

Translation:
Unfortunately, in the Asian tournament there were some accidents of cheating. Who is going to compensate players for their tournament expenses (including $400 entry fee)?

Garvinator
30-05-2021, 06:15 PM
All these reasons are valid reasons as to why players did not participate, but my eye was also drawn to the line:

And FIDE has announced a possible ban of 15 years for Fair Play violations.

Get rubbed out, no right of appeal to defend yourself, all further opportunities to play in Olympiads, World Cups etc, all gone.

Does not seem worth it, to play in one event that has this penalty with a no opportunity to defend yourself mechanism. Even accused drug cheats have a set appeal mechanism.

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2021, 07:54 PM
All these reasons are valid reasons as to why players did not participate, but my eye was also drawn to the line:

Get rubbed out, no right of appeal to defend yourself, all further opportunities to play in Olympiads, World Cups etc, all gone.

Does not seem worth it, to play in one event that has this penalty with a no opportunity to defend yourself mechanism. Even accused drug cheats have a set appeal mechanism.

I've checked on this to see what the procedure is. The Fair Play Commission cannot impose penalties itself but can refer a report to the Ethics Commission requesting a penalty. The Ethics Commission will give an accused player ample opportunity to respond to the claims against them. Decisions taken by the Ethics Commission to ban a player can only be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. So there is an oversight provision but it is one external to FIDE.

MichaelBaron
30-05-2021, 08:51 PM

Waiting to see if anyone will get banned for 15 years, If yes it will be quite a decision to make!

Ian Rout
31-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Waiting to see if anyone will get banned for 15 years, If yes it will be quite a decision to make!
Not sure it's a good idea for Sutovsky to be making these assertions, even if he doesn't intend it to be an official statement.

If FIDE doesn't discipline someone it looks like they admit to having no control over cheating in important events. If they do they most likely get shredded in CAS.

Although Option 2 may not be a bad thing in the long term.

pappubahry
31-05-2021, 11:35 AM
Not sure it's a good idea for Sutovsky to be making these assertions, even if he doesn't intend it to be an official statement.

The bit that Vlad quoted was from a (GM) commenter on one of Sutovsky's Facebook posts, not from Sutovsky himself.

MichaelBaron
31-05-2021, 12:03 PM
The bit that Vlad quoted was from a (GM) commenter on one of Sutovsky's Facebook posts, not from Sutovsky himself.

Sutovsky always sounds positive about everything he/fide does :). Sometimes even a bit too positive...

Ian Rout
31-05-2021, 01:42 PM
The bit that Vlad quoted was from a (GM) commenter on one of Sutovsky's Facebook posts, not from Sutovsky himself.OK, not such a big deal then, so long as having it on his page isn't interpreted as endorsement.

It would be interesting if the GM would tell us who was supposedly cheating, and how.

Andrew Hardegen
31-05-2021, 05:06 PM
From Emil Sutovsky’s facebook:

К сожалению, в Азиатском отборе были случаи читерства. И кто же теперь возместить расходы игроков ( включая взноса порядка $400), которых "кинули"?

Translation:
Unfortunately, in the Asian tournament there were some accidents of cheating. Who is going to compensate players for their tournament expenses (including $400 entry fee)?

The entry fee was US$150, not US$400.

Cheating accidents? Well, if a third-hand witness says it happened, then it must have happened.

Andrew Hardegen
31-05-2021, 05:13 PM

2) Much cheaper than a return airfare to Dubai, Tashkent or Manila, plus accommodation.
3) Not really plausible given that the players are playing under over-the-board conditions. Any cheating would require collaboration between the players (often several present in a room), their local arbiting team, and their foreign Zoom arbiter (all of whom are respected and experienced arbiters without any past misconduct).
4) The 2021 World Cup will surely be held as a Hybrid event, if it is held at all this year. And $3,000 is a long way from the mark -- each first-round loser in the 2019 World Cup took home US$6,000.

Andrew Hardegen
31-05-2021, 05:16 PM

Are you able to provide any factual evidence of cheating in the Oceania Zonal?

Vlad
31-05-2021, 06:44 PM
"Maybe I should also give you the key to the flat where I keep my money?" (c):lol:

Andrew Hardegen
31-05-2021, 07:09 PM
False accusation is an abuse of freedom of expression. Manifestly unfounded accusations (those based largely on emotion, or insufficient data) can be punished, even if not filed in the official way:

V. MANIFESTLY UNFOUNDED ACCUSATIONS

1. Manifestly unfounded accusations (see Section I.5) can arise from two situations:
i) a regularly filed ITC or PTC;
ii) any accusation made to a third party or in public.

2. When the FPL [Fair Play Commission] determines that an ITC or a PTC is manifestly unfounded, the complainant can receive a warning by the FPL. Upon receiving a second warning within a period of 2 years, the complainant can be sanctioned by suspension up to three months;
further violations can be sanctioned by suspension up to six months.

3. When the FPL determines that manifestly unfounded accusation was made to a third
party or in public, the offender can be sanctioned by suspension up to three months
for first violation, up to six months suspension for further violations.

4. In particularly severe cases of unfounded accusations, the FPL will forward the case
to EDC and recommend longer suspensions and other sanctions.

As an arbiter in both the Oceania Zonal and the Asian Continental Championship, I have to say that I did not hear of any suggestion or allegation of misconduct, either through the main communication lines or indirectly. Nor did I witness any evidence of misconduct. If any such evidence exists, then please elaborate so that I can ensure that the appropriate processes are carried through. Wouldn't we all like to see the offending players being held to account?

Vlad
31-05-2021, 07:24 PM
You are a funny guy, what else can I say. See my previous message.

P.S. The fact that you did not hear/know something, does not mean it does not exist. :wall:

Andrew Hardegen
31-05-2021, 08:22 PM
I am not saying definitively that there was no cheating. You are saying that, with high probability, there was cheating by one of the Pacific islander players -- please elaborate.